RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 08-12-2020, 09:22 AM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23800
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Mysoth - The King's Council

APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED!

A word from our King"Thirty years ago, my father was forced out of our homeland. On a clear night, an orc priestess came to visit my father and bartered for the safe passage of her people. My father was very pleased with her cunning and bravery, and so he agreed to her plea on one condition. He took the priestess, my mother, as his wife. Sadly, the stubborn people of the El Stow region had other plans. They insisting on fighting the Orcs, an unnecessary war. My father was exiled and lived as a vagabond for the rest of his days.

I have no plans of following in my father's footsteps. The El Stow region's Throne is my birthright. For too long the people have lived in defiance of the Empire's laws. I now possess an official decree, signed by the Emperor himself, granting me my rightful rule of the land. Together with you, my wise and noble council, we will reclaim these lands, and punish those who stand in our way. "

Setting InformationMyoth - The King's Council takes place in my homebrew world of Mysoth. Mysoth – Winds of Change recently wrapped up after a 5-year run. There have been a few other short-lived games as well, which have helped flesh out the lore and background of the land. Everything we know about Mysoth is a compilation of what has been fleshed out in my homebrew setting, and gives some background information on the events King Grohl discussed above, from the perspective of the people of the land. It also includes information from 'Mysoth - Orc Tribes of the North" giving a brief glimpse of events that lead to the original Orc Migration. Coperfield, a small town on the NW boarders of the El Stow region is also mentioned.

In this game, you will play one of King Grohl's agents, who collectively make up his council. The council is made up of trusted advisors and friends of King Grohl, who are sworn to serve him and help him reclaim his family's throne. We will explore how King Grohl goes about retaking reign of the land, and you will play an instrumental part in making that happen. Once (if) completed, we will then move on to help deal with the problems and dangers the region faces, as rules of the land. (Players of my previous game are well aware of some of these). While the history and lore of the El Stow region is fairly fleshed out, the Empire is made of several other regions and states. This game will involve a fair amount of world-building, by you the player, as you invent where your character came from, their resources, histories, and contacts.

This game is not intended to be combat heavy (dependant on PCs actions). It revolves around politics and issues on a kingdom level. It will encompass many elements of a West Marches game, in that players may spend long times apart from each other doing separate missions. They may come together for major events, or be called from a current assignment to help out with another. Additionally, this will give players the freedom to come and go, if needed form the campaign, and prevent the game from stalling if a few players go inactive. As such, I am not worried about forming one cohesive group. I am not looking for a set number of players or group mix. Rather, I am looking for dedicated long term players, and for characters, I find interesting and want to see develope.

You do not need a character sheet completed to apply. For the sake of information, the game will start at 7th level.

Your application should include at least the following elements
  • Name
  • Race
  • Class(s) - (you do not need to specify the levels of each class if taking more than 1)
  • A description of your homelands
  • Tell us the story of how you met King Grohl, the half-orc who claims to be a king. What does he see in you, as an ally, and why were you invited to be part of his Council
  • Name, race, class of your Sidekicks, and a brief description of how you met them. (Must be CR 1 or lower initial stat block, Int of at least 8. Any spellcasting abilities will be forfeit. Inherent spell-like abilities are up to DM discretion if allowed) - These do not need to be fully filled out, and can be changed if needed once the game kicks off.
  • Character Picture in a spoiler, something that can be used to make a token for battle maps. (Note - I give extra credit to those who use custom artwork, as opposed to googling something and copying it, even if you draw like a 5 year old)
  • As a group, accepted players will decide if we want to use point buy, or roll (and which method)

Social StatusYou will begin the game with a number of resources and followers, based on your Social Status
In the linked thread here, The King's Dice, to help develop your background please roll a 1d100 for Social Status:

Roll Status Examples # Sidekicks at Game's Start Sidekick(s)'s Level
1-50CommonerFarmer, Fisher, Hunter, Laborer13
51- 75MerchantCraftsman, Shop keeper, Tradert23,2
76-90GentryLesser Knobles, Scholars, Military Officers, Priests34,3,2
91-99NobleKnight, Chief Judge, High Priest44,3,2,1

Note - In your application, leave a hyperlink to your roll result. Example: Social Status 98.

Allowed Materials: All official published WoTC materials may be used. For sidekicks, we are using the UA Sidekicks rules. The players will have complete control of their Sidekicks, while they are 'on-screen'. If sent to do a mission 'off-screen', the DM will determine the success of such.

If you are new to the D&D 5E system, that is OK. I am willing to help teach it. If you are new to the site and have not yet signed up for a New Player Solo Game, I would highly recommend you do so.

Application Deadline8 pm Eastern on September 4th. TBD on the number of players to be accepted. (Somewhere between 6 and 12)

About the DMHello there folks! Many of you may know me from my work in Outplay and Iron DM the last several years, or other games I have run (such as City of Endless Arenas). D&D is my favorite hobby, specifically Play by Post, due to the flexibility in scheduling it gives me. I've been a D&D DM and Player since the mid-'90s. Just a few of my quirks, you should be aware of. I like to keep my games PG rated. Fantasy curing only. I expect the posting rate to be about 1x a week for DM updates. A list of game rules is available here: The King's Rules. I hope this game will run for several years, so keep that in mind when applying.

Last edited by Bhelogan; 09-04-2020 at 08:02 PM.
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Applicatons
CharacterPlayerRaceClassStatus
Shai-TanArkaonChangelingRogue/Monk/WarlockOn speed dial
Karinn SnowmistAstraHumanSorcererAccepted
Vis SaurivicAvnerLizardfolkRogue\MonkAccepted
Artur GraysonBaraqiHumanArtificerOn speed dial
Milo ThornberryClassic GamerHalflingWizardOn speed dial
TharkosDaendilHalf-ElfRogueAccepted
Erevan BryantDemonSlayer Half-ElfBardOn speed dial
Sybella RohannaDeviousDollyHumanFighter/PaladinAccepted
MallumDirty MagicWarforgedPaladin/WarlockOn speed dial
Mylaela AmathronnDrachenspiritHigh ElfPaladinAccepted
Laren the BlackElanirHalf-ElfPaladinAccepted
TBDElilHroiRahTiefling(?)Rogue/Bard Withdrawn
Eilar ScrubHalcyonRhys HumanMonk/RogueOn speed dial
Talon-ClickInuvash255KenkuClericOn speed dial
Klara StagspellJustcallmeArbyHumanArtificerOn speed dial
"Queen" CassandraMindsiegeChimera (Simic Hybrid)FighterAccepted
Kayne CyireMontageManiacHalf-ElfWarlock/PaladinAccepted
KrenMythrandilGoliathBrarbarian/FighterAccepted
Ebhen PhleauxNoquarter19Wood ElfMonkOn speed dial
QuinceNumen WraithSatyrBard/WarlockWithdrawn
HarfStormhammerHalf-OrcBardWithdrawn
TadhgTADHGHalf-orcMonOn speed dial
Kalor, 212th Chosen of FelosTheOneTrueCloneAasimarMonkOn speed dial
SpecterTouketsuTieflingRogueAccepted
Phoara MiddlecoinTrapperHumanWizardOn speed dial
MikinakYoshimiForest GnomeWizardOn speed dial
Donac ThunderbellyanamiacDwarfBarb/FighterOn speed dial
Kairon "Verse" BaridonderpoettieflingBard/WarlockAccepted
Vicente Breltivirgjf2aAasimarPaladinOn speed dial
Tryggva Dagrson penbeast0HumanBarbarianOn speed dial
GhorbashtomplumOrcWarlock - Rune ScribeAccepted
Friar Bertram BellowstriedtherestHalflingClericOn speed dial

First round of feedback
Second round of feedback

Last edited by Bhelogan; 09-05-2020 at 09:49 AM.
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
Q&A:

Q: The king who was exiled 30 years ago was Grohl, right? In the „Word from our King“ however it is the king‘s son, the prince, who seeks to (re)gain the throne. Is he also called Grohl, as was sometimes the case with royal families, or does he have another name that hasn’t been mentioned? Does our character have a connection with the father or the son and if it is the prince who seeks to reclaim the lands his family lost, what happened to the father?
A: Grohl is the last name. So, the old 'King Grohl', that was exiled 30 years ago is now dead. The new King Grohl, whom the players will be in the coundil of, is his son. Your connection could be anything you want. Perhaps you knew Grohl's father, and when he died, moved on to support his son. Or, you may have never known him until recently.

Q: Also, are we allowed to create our own deities? I was thinking of a militaristic god of law, order and vengeance but Bane is simply too evil to make him the patron of an order of Paladins and the Paladins of the North don’t really suit the character I have in mind.
A: You may create your own dieties if you like. That is part of the world building.

Q: How many (illegitimate?) siblings does King Grohl have? Well done, Tomplum and Cyber Angel! (Two people have rolled 100 so far for social status)
A: Possibly a lot.... I didn't include it in the write-up, but the now dead Grohl had a taste of women of all kinds.

Q: To what extent do we have freedom in regards to world building? Can I, for example, make a whole region and some history for it? Or should I keep it to a hometown?
A: Yes, you can build a whole region. I reserve the right to make any needed tweeks if there are conflicts, or minor corrections that need to be made. I am happy to collaborate on this, if helpful, as well.

Q: Could I have my sidekick be a Bugbear? Wasn't sure on the status of goblinoids in Mysoth
A: Bugbears in the MM have a CR of 1, and an Int of 8, so they will work. You will not be using the Volo's guide to Monsters though, for stats and racial perks and such. You will use the MM block.

Q: Is Grohl generally a "good guy" (at least on the surface)?
A: That is a tricky question. Most of the existing NPCs and populace of the El Stow region would soundly say No. He is a very bad guy. From his perspective, he may not be a 'nice guy', but he is 'lawful'. He thinks he is the good guy, but is just harsh due to the nature of his upbringing and family history.

Q: Does 'status' refer to our character's status, or the status of our sidekicks? I rolled a 65. Does that mean my character is a merchant, my sidekicks are merchants, or both?
A: This is your character's background status. Where did they come from, who were their parents. You may or may not have followed in their footsteps. Your followers are probably independent of this, depending on how you tie them into your background.

Q: What's the general flavor of the setting? I get kind of a base D&D fantasy vibe, but I was curious about the tone of the setting and previous adventures in the world.
A: ea, kind of a generic D&D fantasy setting. I usually make it similar to Forgotten Realms, in terms of deities and such. My games have few common themes. Generally, there will be a few embarrassing typos, and I will probably use two different spellings of a name for a character or two... (totally didn't happen in Outplay this year, right?). I do try to keep things light-hearted but also deal with series issues and threats (invading armies, the birth of a lich, cultural conflict). This campaign will be revolving, initially at least, a potentially hostile takeover of a region by an unpopular ruler. Hopefully, that helps. Happy to answer any specific questions.

Q: You said Grohl isn't a classic "good guy". But the emperor has endorsed him, so I assume he's not either. The paladins betrayed the orcs back in the day, so it's hard to discern if they were good. And the main deity of the whole region is a Party Animal. Is this campaign world one where law is more important than good? Do the average citizens suffer on average, or are they content?
A:Everyone thinks they are the good guy. The Emperor has given King Grohl the right to rule since it is his lineage. The El Stow region though had largely rejected any rule or relationship to the Empire when they forced the old King Grohl into exile. Some of that was for good reason. But, over time, those on the council have used their status for their own benefit as well. In any case, the Empire would benefit from having the region be back under their jurisdiction. The Paladins of the North saw themselves as binding an Evil God, preventing them from influencing the world. Seems like a noble gesture? Maybe it was, but not to the Orcs who drew their power from Gruumsh. Things just aren't quite cut out as black and white all the time. The Average Citizens generally benefit from their association with whatever ruler is in place. Sure, things are expected of them, but they also get provided benefits. Such as safety, order, and such. While Bruhaha is about leisure and relaxation, his priests work hard to make sure others can enjoy those benefits. They kind of view it as their responsibility to make sure others are taken care of so that they can enjoy the good things in life.

If I had to assign one of the classical alignments to those parties. Emperor = LN. King Grohl - LE. Priests of Bruhaha = CG. Don't know if that helps.

Q: How practical would a race with Sunlight Sensitivity be to play?
A: Unless you are determined to do battle mid-day in the middle of the streets, I don't think it will be an issue most of the time. This isn't intended to be a combat heavy game (though there is the potential for some big fights). It will come up from time to time, but not be a major handicap.

Q: How do you feel about characters who originated from El Stow?
A: While being from El Stow would keep you from world-building your own region of the empire, it also gives you a lot of potential tie-ins to the game. There are certainly many reasons from El Stow would want to support King Grohl.

Q: If my character were to be originally from El Stow... Where might I place his family's lands?
A: The major cities are listed on the map (El Stow, Hay Field, and Drake's Spire), but there are a ton of smaller ones as well.

Q: Exactly how was Grohl forced to leave?
A: The coalition that came together to form the ruling Council was in charge of that. Bob, the head of the Wizard Academy in Hey Field was integral in forcing the old King out. While it was a forceful event, it wasn't a fight with armies. The King was told to leave, given a document signed by all the powerful heads of houses that wanted him gone, by Bob, and watched to make sure he did leave. They didn't care where he went from there. The Orcs were no friends either of Grohl though, or his new 'wife'. They felt betrayed by both of them, and so were not accepted there either.

Q: Whatever happened to the queen?
A: There wasn't a Queen at the time of the old King's Exile. Grohl married the Orc priestess after they were exiled. Our King Grohl in this game is the oldest Son of the Old King. It is rumored that he had many illegitimate children later, with many different partners of different races. I don't know if the 'Queen' stayed with him through that or not. Something that could be explored at a later date. Maybe she is still around, supporting King Grohl from behind the scenes.

Q: About the social status roll; is that what our character's social status is now, or the actual background they came from?
A: The Social Status roll is used to determine what resources your character will have available, and give you something to write your backstory with. You can interpretive that to be where they are now, or where they were before taking up another occupation. So, it is open a bit to interpretation.

Q: Sidekicks; do they start at level 1?
A: Sidekicks start at the level listed in the chart. E.G. 1 at 3rd level for Commoner, One at 4th, 3rd, 2nd, and the last at 1st level for Nobles.

Q: How would you like Background to be handled, mechanically?
A: You can create a custom background, or use one from any of the sources that fit your background narrative. So, it doesn't have to match the social status you rolled, if you are taking that to be where your parents came from. Maybe your parents were Commoners, farmers, but you took up being a Guild Artisan later on. Or they were Nobles, but you became a hermit or Outlander by choice.

Q: For a sidekick, a quickling is CR1 and INT 10. Is that cool?
A: Yes, the Quickling fits the criteria.

Q: Are you willing to accept stuff from campaign settings books? I'm specifically thinking on an Echo knight from Explorer's Guide to Wildemount.
A: That is fine. Just make sure it fits into your character's story. (Genrally the case for all campaign books, including Wayfinders Guide to Eberron, Guildmasters' Guide to Ravnica, and Mythic Odysseys of Theros, etc.)

Q: Have you considered strongholds and followers for this game?
A: While I love Matt Colville, Strongholds and Followers is not an official WoTC book. I don't have it, so not able to use it as a resource for this game. I hear good things about it though.

Q: Do you have the Queen's story written or is that something we can play with?
A: Everything I have written about the queen is presented here. If you would like to make additions to that, it could be fun. Like all worldbuilding, I reserve the right to make any changes needed though.

Q: What is the climate like in the El Stow region?
A: Climate is temperate. They get some snow in the winter, and fairly not (but not like a desert) in the summer. Orchards and vineyards are fine and fit well since the Priests are always looking for new sources of wine for their religious ceremonies.

Q: How do people feel about magic in El Stow, and how prevalent is it? Is it part of daily life, or are magic-users burnt at the stake on sight (or something in between)?
A: Well, there is a large wizard academy in Hay Field, where most mages study to learn the craft. You do have a giant magical teleportation circle connecting El Stow and Hay Field, that pretty much everyone uses no day to travel. Powerful merchant houses and factions have priests and mages that work for them. Outside of that though, most commoners don't have a whole lot of magic in their lives. Maybe a few cantrips here and there are common, but not much outside of that. Commoners would be a bit suspicious of magic in general.

Q: Could you tell me a little bit about trade in the city? Imports, exports, what is or isn't contraband, are there any goods that are in especially high demand?
A: I don't have a detailed list. Mithril and Adamantine use to be fairly abundant in the dwarven mining front, but is now becoming increasingly rare. Many mines have dried up causing many dwarven clans to move out of the area. Fishing and Forestry, and tourism are the major financial draws for El Stow. Hay Field has craftsmen of all types, and most of the industry for the region is there (outside of the smiths in Drake's Spire). Most of the other towns and cities are predominantly farming communities. Specifics of Contraband may vary from city to city, as the local Chief Judge sees fit for his town.

Q: What's the name of the capital of the Empire?
A: So far it had been referred to as just The Capitol of the Empire. Additionally, I see this coming up a lot, Mysoth is the name of the setting, but nothing in the game world carries that nomenclature. Kind of like Forgotten Realms, or Dark Sun.

Last edited by Bhelogan; 09-02-2020 at 01:53 PM.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:45 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6444
Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir
It sounds like you have given a great deal of thought to the setting, Bhelogan, and the prospect of a campaign going for years is very enticing! I will read the information you provide and come up with an application soon.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:18 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6885
lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein
Hey Bhelogan the ad looks great!
Old 08-12-2020, 01:21 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
@Elanir - Thanks! That is the advantage of running a homebrew game that you have been building for years. Lots of lore and things to call on when needed.
Old 08-12-2020, 03:05 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1561
triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest

Name: Friar Bertram Bellows
Class: Life Cleric
Social Status: Merchant (57)
Race: Dragonmarked Halfling (Mark of Hospitality) - If allowed
Homelands: Lumbertown, located in the El Stow Forest region. Population: around 250 at the last Imperial Census taking, of which roughly 12% were Halflings (of mixed sub-races)
Background: Folk Hero - Years of tending to the sick and feeding the hungry (some might say "over-feeding") has greatly endeared him to the common-folk.
Personality: Homebody. Loves the simple things in life, good food, good ale, good company, and most of all, comfort! Was mostly raised by his grandmother, who acted like "a mother hen" to the whole town, and this attitude has rubbed off on Bertram.

Appearance: Chubby, even for a halfling, his slightly wrinkled face is usually creased with a broad honest smile. With a shaved head (Tonsure) and simple, but well kept vestments of his faith.

Sidekicks:

Granny Bellows: (Expert 3, Stout-Halfling) All in town know this beloved matriarch for the love in her heart for the ill and the infirm, this is where Bertram gets it from. Currently too infirm from old age to help people much now. Bertram has taken that burden on himself. Granny mostly stays in their shared wagon cooking, brewing, or making her home remedies, though she will occasionally wander out to give someone a piece of her mind or make sure they are eating properly!

Barnard Bellows: (Expert 2 Stout-Halfling) Proprietor of the Bellows Travelling Goods Store, operating out of their now jointly owned Barnard believes in being financially stable above all else, in stark contrast to Bertram. The two of them butt heads often, mostly over their differing ideologies, but they do love each other. Barnard often acts as an impromptu Quartermaster for the King's supplies.

Last edited by triedtherest; 08-25-2020 at 04:34 PM.
Old 08-12-2020, 03:56 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2094
penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0
Tryggva

Name: Tryggva Dagrson
Race: Human (variant)
Class: Barbarian (berserker)

Backstory: Tryggva has always known himself for a coward. Even as a young boy, in a culture where bravery and daring are everything, he always felt his stomach clench and his brow grow cold at the inevitable fights and risks of growing up in the clans. He tried for years to hide this; to prove to himself he wasn't a coward. He took dares other boys refused, stupid risks that smarter warriors refused, challenged men that logic said he would lose to. But always there was that inevitable hesitation and fear, overwhelming fear, blackening his senses and the knowledge that he would fail. Maybe not this time, but when it counted.

Unable to discipline himself to the rigid norms of a true warrior, he let his fear overwhelm him in actual combat, triggering a wild-eyed screaming attack that won him fights he had no business winning. In fact, he gained a reputation as a bearsark, a killer, and a risk-taker. Ashamed to take credit for bravery he knew he hadn't shown, but unwilling to admit to cowardice that would shame his family and clan, he took to drink and a sullen anger. Eventually he left the clans and went north to civilized lands, traveling the roads, selling himself to unworthy merchants or out of power nobility as protection. This time it was a half-orc who claimed to be king of a land that seemed perfectly happy without him.

RP Sample:
Tryggva looked up from the reverie he had fallen into at the shock of a meaty thunk behind him. Spinning, he saw Anders, the snotty guard who shared his watch, stagger up from behind his screen, an arrow through his throat. Surprised, Tryggva did nothing as the cold fear of death flooded his body, rising from his bowels to paralyze his arms, legs, and voice. More arrows flew, and Tryggva knew they were outnumbered and taken unaware on his watch. The panic came, and with it the shame and rage, finally ripping him from his stupor. Getting a good grip on the weapon he held in his shaky, sweating hands, he saw no escape behind him. The only way out was forward.

His scream tore at his throat, he would be hoarse tomorrow, and he rolled forward charging the unseen archers in front of him. There wasn't cover, there was too much ground, he felt himself being hit in the shoulder and side, the barbed points biting into his vulnerable flesh. Then he was in amongst them. There were two knights among the five bowmen, but they would have to wait; the bowmen were lightly armored and if he was to die, he wanted to take some of them with him. Tears streamed from his eyes and froze in his beard and he slammed his blade into the first body, and then the second. Another arrow hit him, piercing his left forearm and one of the knights had gotten behind him with his sword. . . .

And yes, again, he lived. In fact, he was a hero, again. His charge had given the camp time to regroup and the royal they were protecting had brought the wrath of whatever bloody god he believed in down upon the main force of the ambush. Now they had him in the tent of healing while the caravaners brought him wine and talked about his bravery. As if they knew. He drank more of the wine. He had frozen, again. He had been afraid and dead. The very memory brutally clenched his stomach and his body spasmed, voiding and staining the sheets as he vomited back up the wineskin he had finished.

"Lie back, it's all right, everything is fine." But of course it wasn't. It never would be. His failure had been washed away again by fate and blood, but the next time he might not be so lucky. Next time, he might let everyone down when it mattered.

The Aftermath: But instead of being able to run away, events and circumstances conspired to make his coming failure matter even greater and even more inescapable. King Grohl saw him as a hero and trusted him. He had saved the king's life and kept the dream alive.

The king felt comfortable talking to him because he didn't judge him for being a half-orc or his life. After all, who was Tryggva to judge anyone? And time passed. The king put him on his council, which was simultaneously incredibly boring and even more scary than combat. Every decision he made meant other people's lives at risk, not just his own. The king valued his judgement, valued his friendship, listened to him although the rest of the council, Tryggva was sure, despised him as a fool. And so he stayed. And, when not in the council meetings, he drank. And he waited for it all to come crashing down.

Last edited by penbeast0; 08-27-2020 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-12-2020, 04:01 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
CyberAngel
Incoming application from me!
Old 08-12-2020, 04:03 PM
Half-Orc Ranger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5481
Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer
App withdrawn

left-aligned image
Name: Harf
Race: Half-Orc
Class: Bard (College of Swords)
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Appearance: Harf is a half-orc of average height and weight. He wears a blue cap and tunic, with gold trim, and brown breeches.

Backstory: The bastard child of an orc and a human. Some accounts claim that his father was a savage warrior who fought in the war. Other stories tell that his father was a warlock, who made pacts with demons and elder things from other worlds. Harf was raised by his mother in a lonely village in the El Stow region where he was beset with the racism and prejudice that befalls the folk of mixed race.

When he was 14, stricken with adolescent curiosity, he snuck into an abandoned house on the outskirts of the village that had once belonged to the famous bard, Jared Birdsong. The old manse was rumored to be haunted by the spirit of the troubadour, who had died shortly after his unrequited love had married a rich man from a neighboring city. In the dark, dusty remnants of the house, he found a guitar that was, quite oddly, in immaculate condition. As he picked up the guitar, he heard a voice shout at him from the darkness. It was the voice of the dead bard. As the ghost of Birdsong emerged from the shadows, Harf was frozen in place, unable to flee. Rather than frighten the boy further, the lonely ghost welcomed the boy into his home.

Harf began to visit the ruined mansion on a daily basis, taking guitar and singing lessons from the spirit. The ghost also taught the boy classical poetry and ancient history, much of which had been forgotten. Eventually, the ghost passed his guitar onto the boy, instructing him to go forth into the world. The boy was reluctant at first. But the ghost prodded him forward. He walked miles through the wilderness to the nearest city where he played music at a local tavern to earn enough coin to rent a small room. It was there that he met and befriended a drunken King Grohl in the days before he made his claim to the throne.

His knowledge of political intrigue made him indispensable to King Grohl as an advisor in political matters. Some claim that it was their mutual racial heritage as half-orcs that earned him the trust of the would-be king. Harf still lives in a room at the tavern where his musical skills pay his rent.

Sidekick: Harf also befriended the barkeep, Mad Luskin, who is a retired soldier and adventurer. The two of them are always concocting get-rich schemes.

Last edited by Stormhammer; 08-26-2020 at 05:42 PM.
Old 08-12-2020, 04:59 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
@Bhelogan: I am working on the backstory/meeting with the king of my paladin/oath of conquest character and would be grateful if you could clarify a point:

The king who was exiled 30 years ago was Grohl, right? In the „Word from our King“ however it is the king‘s son, the prince, who seeks to (re)gain the throne. Is he also called Grohl, as was sometimes the case with royal families, or does he have another name that hasn’t been mentioned? Does our character have a connection with the father or the son and if it is the prince who seeks to reclaim the lands his family lost, what happened to the father?

Also, are we allowed to create our own deities? I was thinking of a militaristic god of law, order and vengeance but Bane is simply too evil to make him the patron of an order of Paladins and the Paladins of the North don’t really suit the character I have in mind.

Thank you!
Old 08-12-2020, 05:09 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
CyberAngel
WIP sorcerer

Old 08-12-2020, 05:10 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
Grohl is the last name. So, the old 'King Grohl', that was exiled 30 years ago is now dead. The new King Grohl, whom the players will be in the coundil of, is his son. Your connection could be anything you want. Perhaps you knew Grohl's father, and when he died, moved on to support his son. Or, you may have never known him until recently.

You may create your own dieties if you like. That is part of the world building.
Old 08-12-2020, 05:12 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Thank you!
Old 08-12-2020, 05:43 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15255
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Application - Elven Paladin
left-aligned image
Name: Mylaela Amathronn

Class: Paladin - Oath of the Crown

Race: High Elf

Homelands: Elven City of Alturel, deep in the El Stow Forest

Background: Courtier

Personality: Like a lot of elves Mylaela is a bit snobbish when in her official capacity. But, those who know her, know she is quite friendly and if she's your friend, you can always count on her.

Appearance: Standing 5'6" tall, and weighing just over 120 pounds, she doesn't look much like a warrior when in common attire. But, once she has weapon in hand and armor on, she fully looks the part.
With long copper-brown hair kept in a braid, hazel eyes, elven features and long ears, Mylaela is quite pretty.
Having lived the first 130 so years of her life with only elves, she appreciates the beauty of things as much as function. As such, her half plate armor is not only functional, but a work of art, flowing around her exposed skin. Seeing this open display of armor and skin isn't all that common as she mostly wears a cloak. She wields a halberd with expert precision, and always has it with her.

Backstory: Mylaela is a noted descendant of the elves of the Silvery Spruce Region. Many centuries ago, the notable ruling elven families of councils sought penance with the other races and regions of the lands, and made a pact. A vow was made by each family to send one son or daughter to serve the king and keep the peace. An Oath of the crown was sworn to each king by one selected elf from that particular family when said King came to power. One elf was always in training under the current king, waiting until their time would come.
In truth, there were several elves always in training in the hidden elven cities, waiting for their time to serve as they were chosen for the next King. Mylaela had been chosen to serve the newly crowned king before his father was even born. Since his father came to power, she had been living and training locally, consulting with the old king's elven council and protector. Often the Elven Knights (as they were sometimes called) served on a King's war council, or served as their Captain of his guard, but they were always at the King's disposal.
For the past 30 + years, Mylaela fell in love with a human while getting used to living among the other races. They even had a son; all the while she was training to step up when the time came. Her husband was a simple Baker, but they were happy. Now, things had changed, and she rarely saw her husband as she faithfully served. As her son was now in his mid 20s, and in his mother's shadow most days, it was only the comfort of her spouses's presence she missed. In truth, it had been a relief somewhat as it was starting to set in how her first husband was already in his 50s, and probably only had a few decades left while she had at least half a millennium of living to do. Though her time with the King had just begun, it was a small fraction of her living years, and her vow was binding.

Sidekick: Alavor Cartwright, half elf - Alavor is an expert, and who also happens to be her son.

First day with the King: Mylaela bows low, reciting the oath to the King as had been done to his father before him. Though she had officially already sworn the oath more than a century ago, it felt good to do it again, in the presence of so many, especially, the King. It mattered not that he was a half breed, and it actually made her feel more comfortable around him since she had a son of mixed race.
Her long and heavy halberd lay across the back of her hands as she stayed prostrate and finished her vow. She waited for the King to tell her to rise, and hoped he was as excited to begin their journey together as she was.
Once he commanded her to rise, her hands flipped and faster than the blink of an eye she was gripping the halberd. She rose slowly before her King, and Sovereign and simply said, "My lord, your Majesty, what is the first command you give your humble servant?"
The traditional response was to answer that she take her place at his side and to serve with honor.
Whatever the response, she took her place off to his side and began her service.
To some elves, this was a ridiculous thing, an elf serving a humanoid king whose life span was but a flash in the pan compared to an elf. But to others, this King, like the others could benefit from Mylaela's council and literally more than a century of wisdom and knowledge about the ways of elves, men, and other races. It mattered not if he took her advice, it was just her place to give it, openly, freely, and honestly until his death, or hers, completed her vow.

Social Status - Commoner

Last edited by Drachenspirit; 08-13-2020 at 11:01 PM.