RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 08-14-2020, 06:08 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2832
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
You said Grohl isn't a classic "good guy". But the emperor has endorsed him, so I assume he's not either. The paladins betrayed the orcs back in the day, so it's hard to discern if they were good. And the main deity of the whole region is a Party Animal. Is this campaign world one where law is more important than good? Do the average citizens suffer on average, or are they content?
Old 08-14-2020, 08:00 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23900
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
@Yoshimi - Everyone thinks they are the good guy. The Emperor has given King Grohl the right to rule since it is his lineage. The El Stow region though had largely rejected any rule or relationship to the Empire when they forced the old King Grohl into exile. Some of that was for good reason. But, over time, those on the council have used their status for their own benefit as well. In any case, the Empire would benefit from having the region be back under their jurisdiction.

The Paladins of the North saw themselves as binding an Evil God, preventing them from influencing the world. Seems like a noble gesture? Maybe it was, but not to the Orcs who drew their power from Gruumsh.

Things just aren't quite cut out as black and white all the time.

The Average Citizens generally benefit from their association with whatever ruler is in place. Sure, things are expected of them, but they also get provided benefits. Such as safety, order, and such.

While Bruhaha is about leisure and relaxation, his priests work hard to make sure others can enjoy those benefits. They kind of view it as their responsibility to make sure others are taken care of so that they can enjoy the good things in life.

If I had to assign one of the classical alignments to those parties. Emperor = LN. King Grohl - LE. Priests of Bruhaha = CG. Don't know if that helps.

Last edited by Bhelogan; 08-14-2020 at 08:06 PM.
Old 08-14-2020, 09:09 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2832
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
That makes sense, thanks!
Old 08-14-2020, 10:09 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2206
Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64
How practical would a race with Sunlight Sensitivity be to play? Is it enough when outside during the day to be within shadows , have a wide brim hat, overcast skies, etc? Would you rather we didn't?
Old 08-14-2020, 10:50 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
@Solitaire64 - Unless you are determined to do battle mid-day in the middle of the streets, I don't think it will be an issue most of the time. This isn't intended to be a combat heavy game (though there is the potential for some big fights). It will come up from time to time, but not be a major handicap.
Old 08-15-2020, 01:54 AM
Some Believe in Magic

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3604
Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra
My app is pretty close to complete: https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...55#post8858155

I'd appreciate any feedback!

Last edited by Astra; 08-15-2020 at 02:41 AM.
Old 08-15-2020, 11:28 AM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
Small update to the application information. I will be taking somewhere between 6 to 12 players.

After Outplay wraps up this upcoming week, (so starting the 24th), I plan to go over all the applications so far and give some feedback. That should leave everyone with enough time to make any desired edits before the deadline.

Last edited by Bhelogan; 08-15-2020 at 11:29 AM.
Old 08-15-2020, 11:50 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3454
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer
Hi there! This seems like an interesting setting to play a game in, so I thought I'd go ahead and write up an application. However, if you don't mind I'd like to ask a few questions so that I can properly flesh out my character concept.
  • How do you feel about characters who originated from El Stow? I have an idea about a character whom's parents were barely enough to warrant a gift of land, if thatminor nobles at king Grohl's court, and forced to flee along with him. Now the child returns and seeks to reclaim his title, and exact revenge on those who ousted his family. Would something like that work? If not, I could always have him be from a different region (with Grohl promising the position at court he lost in his original homeland), but I thought having my character actually be from El Stow would add a measure of personal motivation which might be fun to explore. Entirely up to you, thought!
  • In that vein, if my character were to be originally from El Stow... Where might I place his family's lands? I wouldn't want to claim any of the named towns on the map, but would a stretch of land south of the city work? Maybe a manor with some orchards surrounding it? Note that getting this land back would be a long-term (possibly post-game) goal, not something I'd expect to be handed at the start of the game!
  • Exactly how was Grohl forced to leave? I mean, there was a garrisson placed at Orc's Spear, but did they actually attack the city or just cut El Sto off from the El Stow region, while agitators and agents did theit work to dethrone the king? And did he go peacefully (either after being kindly asked to leave or forced out at swordpoint), did he flee for his life, was there a violent coup, did a small civil war happen? And afterwards, was the council content to leave well enough alone, or did they have assassins hounding him (since he lived out his days as a vagabond, I thought perhaps he was on the run)?
  • Whatever happened to the queen? I'm kinda curious!
  • About the social status roll; is that what our character's social status is now, or the actual background they came from? For example, I rolled 64, meaning my character's status is comparable to that of a merchant. Could I still take the Noble background, and say that he is an impoverished noble who now has to work for his money (hating every minute of it, obviously)? Or would you rather that only characters with a social status roll of 76 and higher have actual noble blood?
  • This might be going a bit too far into mechanics at this point, but regarding Sidekicks; do they start at level 1?

Anyway, thank you for taking the time to answer these questions !

Last edited by DemonSlayer; 08-15-2020 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-15-2020, 12:03 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3530
Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil
Piggybacking on DemonSlayer's questions about background/status...how would you like Background to be handled, mechanically? I noticed you left it out of your requested items for a character application. Are we free to just choose two thematic proficiencies plus a tool set and/or a language or two, as appropriate (basically a custom Background)? I take it the equipment gained in Background is largely irrelevant, since we start at Level 7.
Old 08-15-2020, 01:10 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
@DemonSlayer - Some great questions!

- While being from El Stow would keep you from world-building your own region of the empire, it also gives you a lot of potential tie-ins to the game. There are certainly many reasons from El Stow would want to support King Grohl, and it sounds like you have a good one.

- The major cities are listed on the map (El Stow, Hay Field, and Drake's Spire), but there are a ton of smaller ones as well. El Stow is the capital, and where the King lived prior, so probably in the lands closer to there than the other cities might make sense. But, doesn't have to be.

- The coalition that came together to form the ruling Council was in charge of that. Bob, the head of the Wizard Academy in Hey Field was integral in forcing the old King out. While it was a forceful event, it wasn't a fight with armies. The King was told to leave, given a document signed by all the powerful heads of houses that wanted him gone, by Bob, and watched to make sure he did leave. They didn't care where he went from there. The Orcs were no friends either of Grohl though, or his new 'wife'. They felt betrayed by both of them, and so were not accepted there either.

- There wasn't a Queen at the time of the old King's Exile. Grohl married the Orc priestess after they were exiled. Our King Grohl in this game is the oldest Son of the Old King. It is rumored that he had many illegitimate children later, with many different partners of different races. I don't know if the 'Queen' stayed with him through that or not. Something that could be explored at a later date. Maybe she is still around, supporting King Grohl from behind the scenes.

- The Social Status roll is used to determine what resources your character will have available, and give you something to write your backstory with. You can interpretive that to be where they are now, or where they were before taking up another occupation. So, it is open a bit to interpretation.

- Sidekicks start at the level listed in the chart. E.G. 1 at 3rd level for Commoner, One at 4th, 3rd, 2nd, and the last at 1st level for Nobles.

@Mythrandil

You can create a custom background, or use one from any of the sources that fit your background narrative. So, it doesn't have to match the social status you rolled, if you are taking that to be where your parents came from. Maybe your parents were Commoners, farmers, but you took up being a Guild Artisan later on. Or they were Nobles, but you became a hermit or Outlander by choice.
Old 08-15-2020, 01:36 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 278
ElilHroiRah ElilHroiRah ElilHroiRah
Ooo, this sounds pretty cool. Hopefully I can get a complete application together in time, for now I've only got this skeleton placeholder.

Application
Then it hit me like the point of intoxication:
[Brother], come out and rock this nation like['a Grohl in waitin']
A lot of [nobles] out is rusty like oxidation
In this world's strangest, most dangerous occupation

Class: Inquisitive Rogue 3, College of Eloquence Bard 4
Race: Tiefling(?)
Old 08-15-2020, 02:18 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3454
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer
Hey Bhelogan, thanks for getting back to me so quickly! That's definitely something I can work with .

Also you're completely right about that Sidekick table, I'm not quite sure how that slipped my mind (must be the heat!).
Old 08-15-2020, 02:44 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15428
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Changed my mind about creating my own pic as requested. I saw the youtube video Bhelogan, kudos for that.
However, I can't draw a straight line either, so since tomorrow is my birthday, I guilted my son into drawing me a pic. Hope to have it today, if not by tomorrow.
Old 08-15-2020, 02:56 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6454
Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drachenspirit View Post
Changed my mind about creating my own pic as requested. I saw the youtube video Bhelogan, kudos for that.
However, I can't draw a straight line either, so since tomorrow is my birthday, I guilted my son into drawing me a pic. Hope to have it today, if not by tomorrow.
That is an excellent idea, Drachenspirit! I would be more than eager to borrow it since my birthday in on the 28th but my son is only two and a half and no better at drawing than his father. Oh well...
Old 08-15-2020, 03:48 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
Lol. My response to people who claim they are not artistic, is to grab the nearest 5-year-old and give them a box of crayons.