RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 08-15-2020, 04:21 PM
Oregonian Wyvern

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5872
Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhelogan View Post
Small update to the application information. I will be taking somewhere between 6 to 12 players.
With that many players accepted, how worried should an applicant be if, Not at all hypotheticallytotally hypothetically, they and an other applicant chose the same exact multiclassing mix? Are you willing to have two warlock bards in the group?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drachenspirit View Post
Changed my mind about creating my own pic as requested. I saw the youtube video Bhelogan, kudos for that.
However, I can't draw a straight line either, so since tomorrow is my birthday, I guilted my son into drawing me a pic. Hope to have it today, if not by tomorrow.
That's awesome, and happy birthday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elanir View Post
That is an excellent idea, Drachenspirit! I would be more than eager to borrow it since my birthday in on the 28th but my son is only two and a half and no better at drawing than his father. Oh well...
I'd be thrilled to play in a party where everyone played with characters drawn by their children. My "child" is a 1.75 year old Great Dane. I wonder what she'd come up with.
Old 08-15-2020, 04:38 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23900
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numen Wraith View Post
With that many players accepted, how worried should an applicant be if, Not at all hypotheticallytotally hypothetically, they and an other applicant chose the same exact multiclassing mix? Are you willing to have two warlock bards in the group?
Not worried at all. I'm looking at characters back stories and how well I think they will tie into the game. I'm not looking at class composition for who will get in.

Last edited by Bhelogan; 08-15-2020 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-16-2020, 02:47 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4857
anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac
Quote:
All official published WoTC materials may be used.
Just to be doubly sure, Are you willing to accept stuff from campaign settings books? I'm specifically thinking on an Echo knight from Explorer's Guide to Wildemount.
Old 08-16-2020, 07:35 AM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
@anamiac - That is fine. Just make sure it fits into your character's story.
Old 08-16-2020, 07:14 PM
Bladesinger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3098
Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil
right-aligned image
Name: Tharkos
Race: Half-Elf
Class: Rogue (Swashbuckler)
Status: Commoner (34) [I was hoping for more sidekicks but ah well]
Sidekick: Akim (Kenku Expert 3)

Background: June-Taz is a small but influential kingdom in the far West. It features rich soil and crowded cities (think Netherlands). Tharkos was born here as a half-elf bastard of some too-curious lady or feeling-adventurous lad. Left to his fate in a basket he ended up adopted by a farmer's wife. There was need for many hands in the fields. Tharkos was still young when June-Taz got into a war. As motivation for volunteers their families received tax-reduction, thus the half-elf's foster father decided that Tharkos would volunteer. He was assigned to the archers. It wasn't that bad, less work to do compared to the farm and shooting the bow came easy. That was until the cavalry charge on his fist day of real battle. Most of his unit lying dead in the dirt he miraculously survived. He realized that soldiers' fate was not for him, and he ran away. He ended up in one big city or another where he survived as a street urchin. An old tramp took him under his wing and taught him the ways of a thief. Later he stood on his own two feet and became better and better at his profession.

Story with sidekick and king:
Bentor (an underworld big boss in June-Taz whom Tharkos sometimes works for) offered him a job to travel far away towards the center of the continent and locate a half-orc by the name of Grohl. He needed to deliver him an item of great importance. For help (and assurance that the job gets done) he was given a young kenku (Akim) who had some wrongs to correct with the mob.

It took much time and effort but eventually Tharkos and Akim succeeded. Grohl turned out to be the exiled king of El Stow. King Grohl's fate (being a halfblood and a castaway) resonated with Tharkos well. The half-orc also had a mission for the half-elf. Planning his eventual return, the to-be-king asked Tharkos to take residence at the El Stow region and be his remote ear and hand there.

Tharkos thought the new region meant new opportunities and accepted the position. He thought about Bentor's career and thought this could be the beginning of something big. Over the years he could build up his own organization. And with the King by his side the possibilities really seemed promising. Akim preferred to become his sidekick to returning to June-Taz.

Grohl provided enough coins for a start in Hay Field where Tharkos established their headquarters. He quickly began to grow a network of useful acquaintances. [OOC: these first would be NPC-s Tharkos could use to gain information form or buy services from. Later they could become his sidekicks.]

Having served as a useful El Stow agent for the King for some time now, Tharkos wasn't very surprised when Grohl invited him to his small council of advisors.

Picture: previous attempt to draw Tharkos and Akim is attached...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kenku_x1.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	86469   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tharkos2_s.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	3.4 KB
ID:	86585  

Last edited by Daendil; 08-29-2020 at 09:42 AM. Reason: some further tweaks
Old 08-17-2020, 01:29 PM
One who has seen the end

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1094
Tydorei Tydorei Tydorei Tydorei Tydorei Tydorei Tydorei Tydorei
have you considered strongholds and followers for this game?
Old 08-17-2020, 01:46 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12186
tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum
@Bhelogan - Do you have the Queen's story written or is that something we can play with?
Old 08-17-2020, 02:08 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
@Tydorei - While I love Matt Colville, Strongholds and Followers is not an official WoTC book. I don't have it, so not able to use it as a resource for this game. I hear good things about it though.

@tomplum - Everything I have written about the queen is presented here. If you would like to make additions to that, it could be fun. Like all worldbuilding, I reserve the right to make any changes needed though.
Old 08-17-2020, 04:22 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3454
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer
I'm still working on expanding my character's background, and as I was writing some more questions came up;
  • What is the climate like in the El Stow region? I wrote about my character's family having a fruit orchard and a grape vineyard, which wouldn't make sense if the game is set in a tundra!
  • How do people feel about magic in El Stow, and how prevalent is it? Is it part of daily life, or are magic-users burnt at the stake on sight (or something in between)?
  • Could you tell me a little bit about trade in the city? Imports, exports, what is or isn't contraband, are there any goods that are in especially high demand?

Thanks again for taking the time to answer these !
Old 08-17-2020, 05:00 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
@DemonSlayer

- Climate is temperate. They get some snow in the winter, and fairly not (but not like a desert) in the summer. Orchards and vineyards are fine and fit well since the Priests are always looking for new sources of wine for their religious ceremonies.

- Well, there is a large wizard academy in Hay Field, where most mages study to learn the craft. You do have a giant magical teleportation circle connecting El Stow and Hay Field, that pretty much everyone uses no day to travel. Powerful merchant houses and factions have priests and mages that work for them. Outside of that though, most commoners don't have a whole lot of magic in their lives. Maybe a few cantrips here and there are common, but not much outside of that. Commoners would be a bit suspicious of magic in general.

- I don't have a detailed list. Mithril and Adamantine use to be fairly abundant in the dwarven mining front, but is now becoming increasingly rare. Many mines have dried up causing many dwarven clans to move out of the area. Fishing and Forestry, and tourism are the major financial draws for El Stow. Hay Field has craftsmen of all types, and most of the industry for the region is there (outside of the smiths in Drake's Spire). Most of the other towns and cities are predominantly farming communities. Specifics of Contraband may vary from city to city, as the local Chief Judge sees fit for his town

I can see that I will have to copy this Q and A section into the Everything we know about Mysoth thread when we are done, since we are learning a lot about the area together.

Last edited by Bhelogan; 08-17-2020 at 05:03 PM.
Old 08-17-2020, 08:04 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2206
Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64
I'm thinking of a background for a 'fallen noble' character whose territory was off to the west, outside of El Stow proper. There would be a trade route that crosses the river perpendicularly, from the north coast, across the river by bridge and ferry, and on to the kingdom you mentioned southwest of El Stow. There would be a coastal port town in the north and a town straddling the river.
Is this okay to develop or should I stick to the El Stow area? I'm fine either way.

EDIT: As wonderful as this game sounds, I'm going to withdraw. Not happy with my character concept. Best of luck and fun to everyone!

Last edited by Solitaire64; 08-19-2020 at 05:06 PM.
Old 08-17-2020, 09:14 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
@Solitaire64 - Lots of applicants are from areas outside El Stow. I had one player hand draw their region map and email it to me (I may make official versions of these in CC3 for those that get in). Sounds like this could be further west of the Rockport area (see the notes on Coppergrove), or it could be further south of that.
Old 08-17-2020, 09:24 PM
Royal Lion

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1691
Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83
I've been work-shopping a character concept in my head for a few days now but I'm not going to lie. This is one of the most complex games that I have even considered applying for. I'm interested in making a Knight that is the son of a noble from a neighboring region. Do I need to create an entirely new region to do this? Another concept was that he might be the son of a council member within El Stow. The only concern there is the amount of knowledge that it might require about the council leader and the state that they hail from... Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-17-2020, 09:29 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
@Treble83 - You can create a new region, or build off something someone else has prested already. If you want to be from the El Stow region, that is fine as well. I know, more options make it harder sometimes. If you want some help collaborating with me on something, then just give me some insight into the direction you chose to go. I can give you some materials to start with, and you can build it out from there. Just shoot me a PM, and we can take it offline.
Old 08-17-2020, 09:45 PM
Bladesinger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3098
Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil
In-progress image of Tharkos and Akim (I'll go with the kenku cohort).
It takes me way more time than I'd have thought, but it's ample fun!
(Any advice welcome)

Btw @Astra, did you draw that?! That portrait is amazing!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kenku_x.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	86458