twitter facebook

Notices

Old 08-30-2020, 05:20 PM
Descent Gaming Bradenton

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1169
TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG
That brings up something I've noticed that happens at tabletop and PbP. GM rolls are always secret. Player rolls are always public. Everyone can see what a player does, but not usually what the GM does. I was watching a vid on fudging die rolls. First rule is never tell your players you do it. Number 2, is...If it helps the story, do it. Is the story better if you manage to sneak by the guard or worse? An example he gave was a combat, where the player still lost, but it was a battle instead of a beatdown.
Old 08-30-2020, 08:25 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4467
Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas
DM's rolling in secret, and whether or not they should ever fudge rolls has long been debated.

Of course, if a DM fudges rolls, they should never admit to it. There is a huge difference to the player between getting through a boss battle by the skin of their teeth, and surviving a boss battle because the DM felt bad.

As to whether or not the player rolls are public, that is entirely up to the player. It's not common, that I've seen, for players to secret their rolls, but they definitely have the ability to. Of course, their DM would be able to see it no matter what, but no one else (other than site staff) would be able to see it.
Old 08-30-2020, 09:08 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 345
Yamaneko Yamaneko Yamaneko Yamaneko
Quote:
Originally Posted by TADHG View Post
That brings up something I've noticed that happens at tabletop and PbP. GM rolls are always secret. Player rolls are always public. Everyone can see what a player does, but not usually what the GM does. I was watching a vid on fudging die rolls. First rule is never tell your players you do it. Number 2, is...If it helps the story, do it. Is the story better if you manage to sneak by the guard or worse? An example he gave was a combat, where the player still lost, but it was a battle instead of a beatdown.
Some times a player's dice just go cold or as many of my players can attest to my GM dice go hot and I like the ability to fudge to counter that so the game stays fun for everyone and it isn't just decided because dice were on a streak. That's no fun for anyone in a RPG.

Awhile ago, I gave my players in one group the option to have all dice "fall where they may" and they asked to do it. After six months of play, they asked to go back to me rolling in secret and fudging to make for a better story rather than letting the dice decide.

In that time, their dice failed them about 90% of the time regardless of what set they used and mine rarely failed. They had always known my dice, no matter what set I used could and usually did run hot but in the end they preferred my older style because I always worked to provide events that were worthy of what we call "campfire stories".
Old 08-30-2020, 10:33 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 56
acgreen
As many I play with know, my rolls are horrific. I hedge my bets by building characters to provide me good enough pools/bonuses To usually succeed on bad rolls or to avoid rolling dice at all, depending on the game.

I believe that for players, public rolls adds suspense and a closer sense of risk to a game. For the GM, cinematics and story trump dice results much of the time. There are still times where a lethal result adds to the story and should stand.

As a GM, my players need to know that there are times where what is encountered is controlled and will be a challenge to their group and there are times where those controls do not apply. If a villain will aim to kill players story wise then I’ll use the npc at full ability to do so, no fudging.

It’s a GM decision to balance these factors, but in the end, it’s the enjoyment of all that’s most important, dice be dammed.
Old 08-30-2020, 10:58 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3131
SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax
Bwah.

Okay, Death Otter's sheet is finally finished up. The RP example arguably got a little away from me, but if I can't enjoy myself a little on the application then how can I expect to in the game?

Thanks for the consideration!

https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...99#post8869299
Old 08-31-2020, 09:11 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Sorry I didn't have a chance to go through applications this weekend like I hoped. Was/am in a lot more pain than I expected. But it's getting a little better each day, and I have a post-op followup tomorrow.

I do have to say, the applications are looking really good.
Old 08-31-2020, 10:38 AM
The Archfriend.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13506
The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen
Hope you feel better soon, Eddas!
Old 08-31-2020, 12:01 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3131
SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax
Oof, yeah, take care of yourself! Get better!
Old 08-31-2020, 01:35 PM
Descent Gaming Bradenton

Tools
User Statistics
Ditto! What they said.
Old 08-31-2020, 03:32 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 345
Yamaneko Yamaneko Yamaneko Yamaneko
Take care of yourself first Eddas. I am the long process of recovering from what my doctors refer to as a spinal injury. It's one of the reasons I have been hesitating about applying. It's always better to delay starting something until you know you are on stable ground than to start and find out it needs to go on hold.
Old 08-31-2020, 03:53 PM
Distanced, Socially

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17106
DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina
Anyone have suggestions on how to burn 14k nuyen? Character won't be doing drugs, weapons, armour, and 'ware are sorted, and they've already got two cars...

You know what, never mind. I'm just going to focus on the story and worry about that if I get in.

Last edited by DAquilina; 08-31-2020 at 03:56 PM.
Old 08-31-2020, 04:01 PM
Descent Gaming Bradenton

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAquilina View Post
Anyone have suggestions on how to burn 14k nuyen? Character won't be doing drugs, weapons, armour, and 'ware are sorted, and they've already got two cars...
I would have had the same issue with my street samurai character. Gave him all this money to buy bioware, and couldn't spend it all. Guy even had rocket launchers, pending approval, of course. Not very realistic, but he wouldn't have been very quiet. I like my current one better though.
Old 08-31-2020, 04:59 PM
The Archfriend.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13506
The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen
Did you remember to get a DocWagon contract? Lifestyle (you can always pay up a few months in advance)? Maybe some security stuff like maglock scrambler, or a better commlink. You said you have armor, but what about infiltration outfits like an expensive suit?

Last edited by The Rat Queen; 08-31-2020 at 05:00 PM.
Old 08-31-2020, 05:04 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15507
Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre
Go alphaware. Money'll be gone in no time. ^^
Old 08-31-2020, 05:15 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Thanks everyone.
I'm recovering. Its just slow and a painful process. Hopefully at my followup tomorrow we'll figure something out so I'm in less pain. But I should be back to my cranky old self in the next week or two. Which will be perfect. Friday is app deadlines. Should have a team built by the end of the weekend. Then probably give it a week for character sheet creation, and we should be golden.

I always recommend pre-paying a couple months living expenses when you can. And you can never go wrong with docwagon like The Rat Queen suggested.