Notices

Old 08-22-2020, 07:14 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4467
Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas
Yes Alyfox, deazra,
As I don't have an Eidetic memory, I don't want to spend tons of time digging through 8 different books just to verify one character.
Though it's been about 7 years since I first DMed a shadowrun game, I'm still relatively inexperienced at it.
You should be able to come up with a fun, interesting character using 3 books.

Also deazra,
I'm kinda envious of your collection!

Blackfyre,
Its in red at the very end of the first post. Tentatively its set for 9/4. 2 weeks from last night. I may move it, one way or another, depending on whether or not people need more/less time to complete their applications.
If I move it, I'll update the original post and make a reply here so everyone knows.

TADGH,
Not quite a runner? All runners started somewhere, some younger than others. Just gotta land on your feet running. Either way, I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Bothers,
You're welcome to observe and/or apply!

Noquarter19 , clamlord,
Don't worry about unfamiliarity with the rules. Get a feel for the setting, read Imveros's primer, watch the below videos, and you'll be off to a good start. The great thing about Play by Post is learning the rules as you go doesn't break the flow of the game like it can in a IRL setting.

For those that are unfamiliar with shadowrun, or just want a refresher, in addition to what Imveros linked above, these videos give you a good primer:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...hPqR0C-bWPUW34

Last edited by Eddas; 08-22-2020 at 07:19 AM.
Old 08-22-2020, 07:50 AM
Descent Gaming Bradenton

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1169
TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG
Oh....my.

I think I should have allocated about HALF the resources that I ultimately went with. I did want him to have cyberware or bioware, but I had a hard time spending money and still keeping the guy over 1 Essence. I guess I thought that stuff cost a lot? So that was my B: Resources. A was metatype troll. I can't get it to let me spend my karma, so I'll have to figure that manually.

By the way, I went with only two sources basically. Core and RG. Technically, my third-- DT--whatever that is, was just used for one item: theme music. Flavor, doesn't affect game play any.
Only question I have for the street sam, if that's what I go with since I spent a couple hours on the build...is what's the availability limit for gear? Tried to keep it under 8, and tried to mark anything that went above that.

The other character...doesn't really have an archetype, so would be an easier build. Not combat heavy.

Last edited by TADHG; 08-22-2020 at 07:55 AM.
Old 08-22-2020, 08:06 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
We're going with the standard rules/restrictions for character creation as written in the CRB. So max availability rating of 12, and max device rating of 6.

I always have a hard time deciding when joining a game, so usually end up rolling up 3-4 characters then deciding lol
Old 08-22-2020, 08:54 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15507
Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddas View Post
Blackfyre,
Its in red at the very end of the first post.
Yeah, of course it is. I don't know why you tell me that. Totally obvious. Yes...

Thanks! ^^

@deazra:
Heh, yeah, no idea why people would have issues.

And nice to see another German speaker. (Also gotta say the coloration of the German editions look much nicer than the English ones.)
Old 08-22-2020, 08:58 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfyre View Post
Yeah, of course it is. I don't know why you tell me that. Totally obvious. Yes...
Yeah, no idea why I felt like pointing that out. I blame it on a lack of soykaf...
Old 08-22-2020, 11:09 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12345
UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool
Hmmm, perhaps I should apply with a runner with a Day Job as a soycaf distributor.

Love investigator games. Looking forward to following along!
Old 08-22-2020, 12:00 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by UngainlyFool View Post
Hmmm, perhaps I should apply with a runner with a Day Job as a soycaf distributor.

Love investigator games. Looking forward to following along!
Couldn't hurt eh? lol

Not every run will be an investigation, but if the runners keep their eyes open and their ears to the ground, they just might stumble across something bigger than them, something that has the potential to either make or break them.
Old 08-22-2020, 12:17 PM

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
BrennenM
Hi, i would like to join, where exactly do i post applications? (I saw this on a shadowrun facebook group post)
Old 08-22-2020, 12:23 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre
Hey BrennenM, welcome to the RPX.

You post your application in the game advertisement thread usually. (I don't think I've seen a game that handled it differently, yet. The only thing usually not done in the ad thread is dice rolling.) So, just take a look what Eddas would like to see as part of the application, write it up and post it in this thread.
Old 08-22-2020, 12:34 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Welcome BrennenM!
As Blackfyre said, post your application in this thread. The suggested format, along with requirements/restrictions are in the first post. Dont worry about making a character sheet at this time, we'll work on character sheets after the party is chosen.

If you're new to play by post, check out the new player solo game, its a short one on one game with an experienced DM that takes you through a quick adventure mostly to get you used to the play by post format and how everything works here. There's not a shadowrun version of it yet, but they have a few different systems available.
Old 08-22-2020, 12:47 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
I have a question regarding the rumors: how important is it for you to not be able to tell which ones are true and which are false? Cause, well, a lot would tie into the background and/or the rp sample, right? And thus they'd be easily recognizable.

So, is the main point true/false recognition, or should it be rumors that the other characters could presumably hear about the character, even if for the reader here, it would be obvious which is which?

Hm, not sure if I’m bringing the point across the way I want it to. Let’s take Tamara as an example, since by now you know her a bit. ^^

Rumors, that would be interesting for other characters (but where you’d know immediately which ones are true and thus, which ones are false):
  • Yeah, I heard she’s actually a beautician or some such?
  • Heard the old girl has been married thrice. Husbands died under mysterious circumstances. Go figure!
  • I saw her before. I swear! At a cosplay convention! What a dork! What? No, I was just there to laugh at them!
  • She’s a junky, that one. Pop’s the good stuff like it were nothing!

Is that something you're looking for?
Old 08-22-2020, 01:06 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
I'm looking more for things that I can use as potential plot hooks.
They're not things you'd necessarily have to include in the background or rp sample.

For Tamara, lets use the recent bit of unpleasantness for an example.

Rumor 1: Orchestrated the downfall of the crossing companions.
Quote:
Be careful around Tamara, don't piss her off. I hear she was behind the death of the Crossing Companions leaders. Blamed them for the death of her last husband.
Rumor 2: She'll do anything to get ahead.
Quote:
I heard Tamara cheated in the audition to join the Crossing Companions. Can you really trust someone that cheats?
Rumor 3: She'll abandon ship if things get too rocky.
Quote:
I don't know about you, but I'd want someone that sticks with me to the end if things get bad, not someone who runs away at the first sign of trouble.
Quote:
Tamara has a strong survival sense. Things got bad, and she did get out, but she made sure to get me out too.
The quotes are things an NPC might say if someone talks to them about Tamara. The third one shows how an event can be spun in both ways.
For the application, just need the rumor part, not the quote or any details, we'll talk about those once we're past the application phase.
Old 08-22-2020, 01:28 PM
Descent Gaming Bradenton

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1169
TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG

Character name: Pete Sawyer

Metatype: Human

Archetype: Street urchin and urban guide. From Point A to Point B, Pete can get there quicker than anyone. Perhaps because of discovering the old Seattle underground. (Did you know that Seattle built the city on top of an existing city?)

Physical description:
Pete is 16, 5’8, very thin with curly brown hair and brown eyes. He has a disheveled appearance, and his stomach can often be heard gurgling.
Personality: He can be guarded at times, especially about his history, he might start off as bit of a lone wolf, but he really wants to find a connection, to replace the family he lost. Most of the time, he seems so hyper that you might think he’s on drugs, but that’s just him coming out. His memory of the incident is hazy.

The incident: Pete moved with his mom to Seattle when he was 8. His parents were divorced, and his father lives out east. One day, when he was 12, he was coming downstairs for dinner, and three armed men came into the house like they owned the place. No forced entry apparent. Pete watched in horror as they shot his mom, then he heard one of the men say, “Get the kid.” Pete ran and never looked back. He pulled aside a manhole cover, and hid just under the surface of the street. He was there so long, that he fell asleep, in fact. He never went back home. Technically, he’s got a SIN, but he didn’t have it on him when he ran. He’s nobody now, just a street kid trying to stay out of the way of the gangs.

His first days were spent in the market district, shoplifting clothes and food. Sometimes, he’d hit a restaurant right after they closed and dig through their dumpsters. The enclosures tended to make a nice hiding spot too, until the day that a waste disposal drone nearly crushed him with a container. After that, he made his way to the warehouse district, looking for unlocked doors and empty warehouses. That’s where he met his fixer, who was looking for a place to set up a meet with a Johnson. The fixer saw him and started after him, but couldn’t catch up to him right off. Later, he found him hiding in a vent shaft, barely big enough to hold him.

RP Sample
: Hi, Name’s Fetch. I know this city like the back of my hand. Where the gangs are, whose turf it is, who their lieutenants are. Funny thing, some of those higher ups, they go home to a nice neighborhood, and you wouldn’t ever know they were the head of a gang by looking at them. They’re much better off than a lot of the people who follow them and declare allegiance to them. I can get you from Point A to Point B faster than you could drive there. I’ll do good work for you, I promise.

Rumors: He’s a rich kid, his dad is some exec with Ares or Renraku, and still looking for him.

He can get you from Point A to Point B faster than you could drive there.

The home invasion wasn’t just some random crime.

His knucks were acquired when he got in a fight with three orc gangers.

Last edited by TADHG; 09-04-2020 at 05:14 PM. Reason: changing picture in spoiler now
Old 08-22-2020, 01:32 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by TADHG View Post
So I was all ready to post my application, and apparently I timed out or something? I'll have it up by tomorrow. I'll have access to as real computer and Google Docs tonight.
Yeah, I've had it do that to me too. It's very frustrating.
Not sure if theres anything you can do about it on a phone/tablet, but on a computer there are some plugins for chrome that will save your form data.

I just don't write anything of any real length in the post or reply boxes on here. I write them in another program, or if push comes to shove in an email.

Sorry that happened to you.
Old 08-22-2020, 04:42 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 283
Alyfox Alyfox Alyfox
Is it ok if some background stuff is made secret, for GMs eyes only? Also, is there a particular way it has to be formated, like do I have to add in your name as part of the tag?