Notices

Old 08-22-2020, 04:45 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4517
Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas
Yes, that is fine.
When you click the SHH! Button just enter my name in the box.
Old 08-22-2020, 08:18 PM

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
TallTom1985
Greetings!

what will the schedule be looking like? what time and day of the week will the runs be held?
Old 08-22-2020, 09:02 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
So it's play by post, so the only time related concern is that I'll be posting game thread updates on Tuesdays and Saturdays. You can make your posts any time betweeny posts.
Old 08-22-2020, 09:04 PM

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
BrennenM
Character Name:M3LK0R (pronounced Melkor, like from the simarillion)
Metatype: Elf
Archtype: Gunslinger Adept/Face hybrid
Physical Description:tall (like 6'3") wears a sleavless trenchcoat with a mage-style hood, the coat is full of holsters and hidden ammo pockets, average facial expression is that of a devilish grin, haircut is like a fade, has pale skin and is orc poser (has cosmetic body mods that give him more muscular looking arms and a sharper more angular jaw line)
Personality:really crazy, if he was in real life he would probably be accused of being a school shooter, but more charles manson charisma based crazy, adepts are good at that
Backstory:when he was a kid he grew up in the redmond barrens... a wierd place for an elf to be nowadays, considering the orc population and all that stupid racial stuff. he was an orphan and was taken in by an orc street ganger, this wierd identity crisis would lead to melkor getting body augmentations with stolen money in an attempt to mimic orc physique, at this point he had multiple fights with humanis members who named him "morgoth the dark enemy" because of his streetnames likeness with tolkien's books.

RP Sample:
M3lk0r cocks his head sideways while looking at the ganger and laughs maniacally at his assailant, "so... you think Im scared of your little gun??!!... I have MAGIC!! DO YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS YOU FOOL!!! he continues laughing at the gunman until the gunman freaks out from psychotic laughter and puts the gun to his own head and pulls the trigger, unaware of the mental suggestion cast on him moments ago...

Rumors:
If your character joins the team, send me a PM letting me know which two are false.
rumour 1: he once blew up a schoolbus during a run. it is unknown if it was empty during the explosion...
rumour 2: he's never drank alchohol suprisingly, considering his demeanor.
rumour 3: he's known for making people do horrible things despite thier will against it.
rumour 4: he's not actually good at being charismatic without magic especially for an elf
(did i do it right?)
Old 08-22-2020, 09:35 PM
Lord of Clams

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 909
ClamLord ClamLord ClamLord ClamLord ClamLord ClamLord ClamLord ClamLord
I've watched numerous videos on Shadowrun and read the quick-start booklet. I still don't quite get all the mechanics, but I'll learn as I go (if i get in, of course).

Basically, you can count on seeing an application from me next week.
Old 08-23-2020, 02:59 AM

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
BrennenM
Did i properly apply? Sorry im new to play by post on thid website and shadowrun as a whole... (i play dnd 5e on discord play by post/west marches)
Old 08-23-2020, 03:27 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 345
Yamaneko Yamaneko Yamaneko Yamaneko
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrennenM View Post
Did i properly apply? Sorry im new to play by post on thid website and shadowrun as a whole... (i play dnd 5e on discord play by post/west marches)
Looks like it. You are listed under the applicants now in the first post of this thread.
Old 08-23-2020, 03:31 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 345
Yamaneko Yamaneko Yamaneko Yamaneko
TADHG, your description of Pete sounds like he is growing into becoming an Urban Coyote.
Old 08-23-2020, 04:10 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15507
Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre
DisclaimerRight, I couldn’t quite make up my mind which way I’d like to go, so I figured why not just hand in both options.

If you would prefer that I make a choice, Eddas, I’ll find a way. Somehow. Yep, I will. Otherwise, well, especially in SR team composition is important, right? This way, if you like one or both of them, there’s more options for one of them to fill an open role that may be needed.

Last edited by Blackfyre; 08-23-2020 at 09:19 AM.
Old 08-23-2020, 07:48 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrennenM View Post
Yes you did. Though you might want to keep an eye on the other applications as they come in to use as examples so you can flesh yours out a bit between now and the deadline.

I just added an additional question to the application. It's not mandatory, but would help me with future planning.

@ClamLord,
No worries. Looking forward to your application. As to the rules, once we're past character creation, it gets a lot easier, and you'll always be able to ask questions and get help!
Old 08-23-2020, 08:49 AM
Descent Gaming Bradenton

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1169
TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaneko View Post
TADHG, your description of Pete sounds like he is growing into becoming an Urban Coyote.

I've never heard that one. Il have to look that up. I wanted him to have the absolute lowest resources possible due to his many years on the streets. He doesn't have much to call his own. I didn't think he would fill any of the archetypes I knew but i ended up at D for magic instead of E. Still not planning to make him an adept with 2 magic, though I still have 14 karma to spend.
Old 08-23-2020, 08:53 AM
Descent Gaming Bradenton

Tools
User Statistics
My back story kinda informs it, but I wouldn't do any assasination/elimination runs, and probably opposed to kidnappers.
Old 08-23-2020, 09:12 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15507
Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre
I updated my app with the answers to the new question.
Old 08-23-2020, 10:30 AM
Rhymes with 'frothers'

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1855
bothers bothers bothers bothers bothers bothers bothers bothers bothers bothers bothers
Lucent

right-aligned image
Artist credit: Can Başdoğan

Character Name: Leanna Owens as "Lucent"
Metatype: Human
Archetype: Chaos Magician (Support caster, hermetic tradition - NB: I might also put a few points into decking, haven't really decided yet. Will depend on the team make-up, I guess, but she's already got the datajack either way as it is Important For Her Art)

Physical Description: A 33 year old human woman, average height and weight. Pale, almost luminous, white skin, bright blue eyes, black hair. Visible cosmetic body modifications - piercings, dermals, facial tattoos. She has a prominent datajack and obvious cybereye enhancements. If you were being generous, you might call her fashion sense "eclectic" or "bohemian". If you were being less generous, you might assume she'd been stealing at random from the local launderette (you would be correct).

Personality: Troublemaker. Artist. Dream-chaser. Surrealist. Likes to keep things interesting, sometimes to the detriment of those around her if they're not prepared to reign her in. Open-minded, curious, and friendly in a dadaist, anarchic kind of way. Little regard for institutions or authority.

Backstory: Lucent grew up on Staten Island in a perfectly normal, functional, middle-lifestyle home. Her parents made sure she had a decent education, and she pursued a Fine Arts degree at CUNY.

An anomalous peturbation in the local mana flow at the College of Staten Island caused an unusually high number of Awakenings in students and staff. In the confusion that followed, many of these newly-Awakened came together to figure out how to deal with and control their strange new powers, finding ways to integrate, respond to, and explain this new state of being with their art.

Guerrilla art brought Lucent into Shadowrunning. She came into contact with the various neo-anarchists, hackers, sex workers, and biopunks that populate the fringes of polite society, and occasionally put her skills to use assisting them with interesting projects, like large and small-scale vandalism, squatting, breaking and entering, or running interference and distraction. She was game for anything that sounded fun or had the potential to create some fun.

She graduated college in 2064. Three months later, Winternight unleashed Jormungand. Her mother, trapped in one of the affected hosts, never woke up from her coma. The VTOL her father was travelling in went down somewhere over the Lower New York Bay, and in the chaos following Crash 2.0, his body was never recovered. Lucent's National SIN was wiped out.

With her family gone and her legal status rescinded, her connections to New York's underground community of magicians, artists, and general low-lifes turned out to be her lifeline, and her route into fulltime Shadowrunning. Now in Seattle for a change of scenery, she's looking for some fresh weirdness to involve herself in.

RP Sample
Another scream ripped through the building as Brandon Hartman climbed the stairs. At least the girl was still alive, though he wasn't sure he was ready to find out what was being done to her. His pistol trembled in his hand as he stood outside the door, wiping anxious sweat from his bald head. Another scream tore out, filled with desperate, animal terror. He slapped at the doorhandle and burst through.

"WEAPONS DOWN! HANDS UP! GET AWAY FROM THE GIRL!"

Golden dust swirled in the sunlight streaming into the warehouse. A projected bank of flickering, jittering screens containing images of matrix personas and real metahumans swapped positions, winked out, and popped back in with new faces on a continuous cycle. A pretty young dwarf stood, relaxed, in a windowed booth. Nearby, a dark-haired woman hovered over the controls of a console. The two women regarded Brandon Hartman politely. He blinked and lowered his weapon.

"You want me to try again?" the dwarf asked.

"No, no, that was great. I think Mr Hartman made it even better. Mr Hartman, do you think you could do that again? You know, the 'weapons down!' thing? I can try to get a clean recording." Hartman stared at her. She tried to encourage him. "Maybe bust through the door again? You know, 'Get away from her!'"

He feebly mumbled the words and the two women raised their eyebrows at each other. Lucent shook her head, and the dwarf stepped out of the booth and began to pack her things.

Lucent brightened. "It'll be OK. We can add some distortion, so it sounds deliberate. Thanks Bella, you've been a doll. Same time next week?"

Bella stepped around Hartman in the doorway, beaming straight, white teeth up at him. She waved and disappeared down the stairs.

Hartman shook himself, and stamped forward in outrage. "What? No! Not same time next week! You can't- the other tenants-"

"Shhhh-st - listen!" Lucent held up a stern hand and spun a control, and a low hum filled the room. The hum became a drone, increasing in volume, punctuated with hisses and pops, and then a terrible sound of shearing metal wailed over Bella's recorded screams.

Hartman clapped his hands over his ears. "Turn it off!" he yelled. Lucent pretended she couldn't hear him. Closing her eyes, she rose from her stool and held her hands out to her sides, palms up, like a painting of the Madonna. She raised her face to the heavens as the racket reached a crescendo and then faded into sobbing.

"I recorded this in the Evergreen Kingdom," she said, meditatively. "One of the attraction drivers collapsed, all the little kids had to be herded out. But they saw the driver being carried away, and they were so upset, poor poppets. Good thing I was there to record them."

"You recorded children crying?!" Hartman blustered. Lucent opened one eye to inspect him. His face was turning very red. He balled up his fists and then pointed one fat, angry finger at his tenant. "You have to stop this! The other tenants thought you or someone else was getting murdered up here!"

Lucent cut the cacophony off. "Really?" she said, with interest. "They thought their neighbour was in trouble and not one of them came to see if they could help?" She sidled up to Hartman and put a conspiratorial arm around the squat man's shoulders. "I tell you Hartman, there is just no community anymore. They sent you instead?" She reached out with long, glyph-tattooed fingers and toyed with a shiny metal button on his jacket.

Hartman swallowed. "They- I don't kn-"

"-and that was awfully brave of you, wasn't it? You had no idea what was happening, did you?" She twisted the button around and around gently between her fingers. "Could you even IMAGINE-" -she yanked the button off with a sharp snap- "- what was going on?"

"Hey!"

"Relax Hartman. It's a warehouse. If they want quiet, they can rent a coffin." She twirled across the floor to the console, rolling the button over the backs of her fingers.

"They're threatening to leave!"

"So what? Plenty of people to replace them. Look, I'll introduce you to one." Lucent trailed her fingers over another control. "Hey, Evie! Evie, you there?"

A screen containing a red-headed woman with green snake eyes zoomed in. "Hoi chummer."

"You still looking for a place to stay?"

The red-head perked up. "You found somewhere?"

Lucent hustled Hartman over to the screen. "This is my landlord, Mr Hartman. This is my friend Evie. Say hello, Hartman." She gripped his arm too tightly, making him wince. "Mr Hartman says that some of my neighbours are planning to leave, so he'll be needing new tenants."

"Great!" Evie beamed. "Let me know when it happens, I'm ready to move in right away. You won't regret it, Mr Hartman."

Evie's screen shrank, and Lucent released her protesting landlord and shooed him outside. "You see? Null sheen."

She closed the door behind him and inspected the button with a beatific smile. The object was saturated with the man's fear and resolve. How useful.

Rumors:
  • Unreliable. Drops jobs just as fast as she picks them up.
  • You can't even trust her not to work against her own best interests.
  • She has a powerful patron.
  • Dangerous. She barely even tries to control her magic.

What kinds of runs interest you / your character:
I need to learn the mechanics and the setting, so I'd be happy with a broad spread. Lucent would be interested in virtually anything that sows chaos in some way, particularly if it inconveniences the corps, the cops, the media, organised crime leaders etc - any kind of hierarchy that can be subverted. Money and morals are not really primary concerns.

Books:
Mostly sticking to CRB. The Chaos Magician tradition is covered in Street Grimoire.

Last edited by bothers; 09-04-2020 at 11:01 AM.
Old 08-23-2020, 11:35 AM
Descent Gaming Bradenton

Tools
User Statistics

Last edited by TADHG; 08-23-2020 at 10:32 PM. Reason: added my stats, made secret.