Notices

Old 08-23-2020, 04:19 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4517
Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas
Looking good everyone!
Glad to see this much interest in it so soon!

I added a little bit about Contacts to the first post. Namely you don't need to spend karma on a fixer. And when we get started, you'll need to write a little bio for each of your contacts.
Old 08-23-2020, 05:45 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 240
Sir Swindle Sir Swindle Sir Swindle
So I wrote this a long time ago. I imagine I could rewrite this as not a dirty former cop. If it’s an uncomfortable backstory.

Also he has some sort of vice. I strongly implied it was sexual in the writing but it could just as easily be cocaine if that is too explicit for the game.

Character Name: Mangey
Metatype: Human (Male)
Archtype: Vehicle/Drone Rigger
Physical Description: Mangey wears rumpled dirty clothes with some poorly patches rips. He has gained some weight since his days in uniform and his beard and hair have grown out wild and unkempt. Months of living in his van mean that he rarely gets a chance to shower and a rank musky smell wafts off of him. The smell is only more pronounced if you dare to get into his van.

Personality: Generally depressed, Mangey is a bit withdrawn in face to face interactions trying to stick to working with his bots and doing stuff on the net. He has been burying himself in his work and trying not to piss anyone off so that he can keep getting sparse jobs and keep the metaphorical lights on.

Backstory: Mangey was a cop from a long line of cops. He was trained as a SWAT Rigger and has logged over a thousand hours ferrying teams around and providing remote assistance and surveillance to SWAT teams. He had a promising career and a charming white picket fence homelife (or what passes for one in the sixth world) until his life fell off the rails.

His daughter was killed. Hit by a car at age 11. Nothing dramatic, driver was a sober soccer mom, justice was adequately served. But it doesn’t really take all that to make a tragedy. It put a strain on his marriage, which put a strain on his work. He got demoted to desk work (working surveillance drones). The demotion put a strain on his finances which put more strain on his home life, his wife left him 421 days after his daughter’s car accident. He continued his downward spiral, getting booted to a beat cop. Understandably he was in a pretty bad place mentally after his divorce and his demotion, he tended to take out his frustrations on the public he was protecting and serving. He was a pretty major a-hole during his years in uniform, never let anyone off with a warning, never once had a perp not 'resist arrest'. He got a reputation with the other officers and with the criminal fraternity in his area, it got so bad that the brass upstairs gave him a formal request for corrective action. Unable to take out his anger on the public anymore he started a habit of ‘self indulgence’. When he was found ‘indulging’ in the patrol car he was fired for indecent conduct and was put on the sex offender registry.

He has been living in his van ever since. He couldn’t get legitimate employment because of his record he couldn’t get illegitimate employment since everyone assumed he would be a snitch. He has been barely getting by with a gig as a courier and doing under the table work at a car wash where he can detail his van and shower before jobs. Every now and then a gang will get desperate enough to hire him for a job so he can splurge on upgrading his van or his drones. But for the most part his is just existing and trying to forget how far he has fallen.

RP Sample: Working on this.
Write a roleplay sample from the point of view of the character you are applying with. It could be a negotiation with a Mr. Johnson, an altercation with an enemy, keep it to a reasonable length (500-1000 words give or take). Be sure to show your characters personality.

Rumors: This too.
Write 4 rumors about your character, two that are true, and two that are false. Do not post which two are false!
If your character joins the team, send me a PM letting me know which two are false.

What kinds of runs interest you / your character:
This one isn't required, but will help me for planning. Are there certain types of runs you really enjoy? Ones you really don't like or that your character is morally opposed to?

Last edited by Sir Swindle; 08-23-2020 at 09:48 PM.
Old 08-24-2020, 03:08 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3131
SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax
God help me, I'm thinking of a Technomancer.

But before I do this I want to get a read on how you run Sprites. In particular, things like ongoing services. For example, if I register a sprite with a command to 'assist me when I fire my gun' does that constitute 1 service, or 1 service per time I use my gun in this game?

And are you good with re-registering sprites periodically and so on? I've been wanting to try a TM build that focuses on 'sprites as gear' that uses them in ways analogous to how deckers use programs and cyberdecks...to boost my pools and ratings, as well as to help out in a pinch. It's one of those things that works better at some tables than others.

Also, as far as game timeline goes, how long after the big technomancer Emergence is it taking place?
Old 08-24-2020, 04:50 AM
Descent Gaming Bradenton

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1169
TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG
I looked at the Shadowrun wiki, though I didn't see it anywhere in core, it mentioned martial arts, with judo being a subset of jujitsu. It said II could learn the art plus one technique for 7 karma, and additional techniques for 5. Karma spent. Selecting judo with sweeps and throws. That is a primary unarmed combat style, and I'll make sensei Masuda a contact, if allowed.
Old 08-24-2020, 06:22 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmonMax View Post

But before I do this I want to get a read on how you run Sprites. In particular, things like ongoing services. For example, if I register a sprite with a command to 'assist me when I fire my gun' does that constitute 1 service, or 1 service per time I use my gun in this game?

And are you good with re-registering sprites periodically and so on? I've been wanting to try a TM build that focuses on 'sprites as gear' that uses them in ways analogous to how deckers use programs and cyberdecks...to boost my pools and ratings, as well as to help out in a pinch. It's one of those things that works better at some tables than others.

Also, as far as game timeline goes, how long after the big technomancer Emergence is it taking place?
Let me do some reading on Technomancers and Sprites and get back to you on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TADHG View Post
I looked at the Shadowrun wiki, though I didn't see it anywhere in core, it mentioned martial arts, with judo being a subset of jujitsu. It said II could learn the art plus one technique for 7 karma, and additional techniques for 5. Karma spent. Selecting judo with sweeps and throws. That is a primary unarmed combat style, and I'll make sensei Masuda a contact, if allowed.
Martial Arts are in the book Run & Gun, starting on page 128. So you'd have to make that one of your additional books. But yeah, if you learn Judo or Jujitsu, it makes sense that the person you learned from would be a good Contact.
Old 08-24-2020, 08:01 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmonMax View Post

Alright, after reading the section on sprites, and consulting with our resident Shadowrun Expert, I'm good with the following:

A Sprite sustaining a task doesn't use up additional tasks, so if you assign your sprite to go into a gun and boost it, it could do that for a single task until you tell it to do something else.
2 caveats. It has to be a smart gun, and it only applies to the gun you designate as part of its task. As the sprite has to be able to go into its circuitry to effect it in any way.
So if you change guns, it would use an additional task to move the sprite to that gun instead.

Re-registering sprites is RAW, so I'm good with that.

From what I can tell the emergence took place in around 65, and our game takes place around 75, so 10 or so years later.

Last edited by Eddas; 08-24-2020 at 08:10 AM.
Old 08-24-2020, 10:11 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax
...and now my default Machine Sprite has a name.

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2020, 01:23 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
right-aligned image
Character Name: Death Otter
Metatype: Human
Archtype: Technomancer
Physical Description: Skinny, almost scrawny, human metatype young woman with bright colored, unkempt hair and wild eyes.

Personality: Otter typically behaves as someone who has their filters stuck in the 'off' position, saying or doing whatever she feels like in the moment. This is to some extent artifice, as she's capable of restraint in pursuit of a larger goal, but she loves obfuscating the 'signal' of her real motivations with copious 'noise' of impulsive and whimsical misbehavior.

Backstory:
Death Otter's debut was about three years ago, and she was clearly raw green when it came shadowrunning. She made some rookie mistakes, but managed to keep her head intact long enough to learn from them. In '73 she was on a run that went bad and for awhile it looked like she might have been killed on it like most of the rest of the team. Several months later however, Otter reappeared on the scene, sporting a new look and some shiny new gear...and hungry for jobs. This tendency Death Otter has to 'reinvent' herself has some wondering if this is the first time she's pulled this trick...even as a 'newbie' she had serious Matrix skills, the kind you don't pick up in school or at a desk. Of course, as a technomancer, those skills could well come with the package. Of her life before the shadows, very little is known. New or not, she's managed to keep her past obscured. In the end, the reality is that she's still too small a name for anyone influential to care much. For now.

RP Sample:

Rumors:
- "Two words. Fragging nutz. Best thing to do is hire her, wait for the job to get done, pay her and never ask how it went down. In fact, just avoid talking to her at all."

- "Maybe crazy, maybe not, but I heard she took down the whole Mitsuhama grid with some kind of wild DDOS sprite swarm. Why? I don't even know if she knows."

- "So a run went bad and, without pay, she has to take a dive and cool off...then comes back with a suitcase full of shiny new gear? Yeah. A loot fairy didn't put that stuff under her pillow, choomba. She owes someone big."

- "When 'death otter' joins a run, God flips a coin. If it comes up heads you get some kind of ex-black ops ninja hacker whirlwind. If it comes up tails you get a freaking useless giggling trainwreck that'll blow a whole run just to spite your Mr Johnson. Do you feel lucky?"

Death Otter loves 'corp on corp' ops, or even just 'whoever on corp.' She relishes jobs that let her humble the mighty, jam the cogs of polite society and industry, and ideally get paid to do so. Her 'dream job' would be something out of the old show Leverage, where ordinary schlubs that had been wronged by people the law can't touch hire her to exact poetic justice that also nets a fat payout.

Last edited by SalmonMax; 08-30-2020 at 10:56 PM.
Old 08-24-2020, 02:44 PM
Han Solo shot first!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12430
Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk
Good luck with your game Eddas. If I didn't have to many games at the moment I'd deffinatly revamp a certain Troll ganger

@ SalmonMax: Go Technomancer's!

"Learn from your mistakes, repeat only as needed, live long and prosper."

DMing: An Untimely EncounterSun - Thu: NORMAL / Fri & Sat: UNAVAILABLE
Old 08-24-2020, 03:45 PM
Archwizard of Flavor Town

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1233
derpoet derpoet derpoet derpoet derpoet derpoet derpoet derpoet derpoet
@eddas: I've stumbled my way through the core rulebook and got the PDF for Seattle! Chummer5 has been very very very useful for making sense of chargen.

I wanted to ask, how would you handle gang affiliation in the game? Would I be able to have contacts within or have friendly relations with a gang without being a member??
Old 08-24-2020, 05:59 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
Eleishar
It's been a long time since I played Shadowrun. Maybe I'll try my luck
Old 08-24-2020, 06:25 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by derpoet View Post
@eddas: I've stumbled my way through the core rulebook and got the PDF for Seattle! Chummer5 has been very very very useful for making sense of chargen.

I wanted to ask, how would you handle gang affiliation in the game? Would I be able to have contacts within or have friendly relations with a gang without being a member??
It's very much possible to have friendly relations with members of a certain gang without being a member. If you come up with a good reason for it in your back story.
Now, depending on how connected to a certain gang you are, that might not endear you to that gangs enemies. Just something to think about.
Old 08-24-2020, 06:55 PM
Descent Gaming Bradenton

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1169
TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG
Old 08-25-2020, 03:42 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 277
Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf
Character Name: Aleksander "Mother" Jons
Metatype: Troll
Archtype: Street Samurai/Tank

Physical Description: Imagine nine feet and three hundred pounds of meat. Just a solid slab of bioengineered meat and poor social skills. Thats Mother.

Personality: Big, and morose would be best to describe Mother. A beast of little words, he is none the less a consumate professional when it comes to running the shadows. While he speaks little, it behoves anyone to mistake this as stupidity. In reality he's quite smart, he just prefers to keep his own council.

Backstory: Aleksander Jons is a very distinctive beast. His street name, "Mother", has nothing to do with his paternal instincts but rather what peoples instintive reaction upon seeing him for the first time is.

The Redmond Barrens is a bad place to grow up. This is obvious for anyone who's even glanced at that part of town. Its even less so for a troll. People assume that a troll living in the barrens is either a criminal, a monster, or some combination of the two. Its little surprise that when a kindly man pffered Alek "The Way To A Better Tommorow" he took it with both hands. The Barrens had been harsh to him and surely nothing could be worst than that. Of course given this isn't a fair tale his new employers turned out to be megacorp monsters who proceeded to poke and prod him with all manner of biotech to turn him into a perfect soilder. To their credit, the augmentations Mother recieved worked and he became a true killing machine. Bone density, shark skin, electrical discharges, orthoskin, if it improved his combat ability, they grafted it on. He was used as their wetworks team. If people needed to die, Mother was sent in as the clean up squad. Unfortuneatly one day a mission went south, bad info and worse timing turned a run completely bad and Mother was ambused and left for dead. Saved by the sheer skin of his teeth, he cut ties with his employers and returned to the Barrens to set up shop with the man who saved him.

RP Sample: Doc Holliday took stock of what he had left. "Jons, I need you to do a run. We need more antibiotics." Aleksander "Mother" Jons nodded to his old friend, and headed out. Picking up meds in the Barrens was no picnic, especially in this area. Go-gangers and street gangs loved to try and jump anyone, thankfully they gave Mother a wide berth. I mean seriously, who wants to frak with a 9ft troll anyway. Walking down the street Mother hears a voice behind him. "Okay Chummer, just give us all your credsticks and nobody gets hurt." Mother turns around slowly to see an orc, bursting to the brim with cyber, brandishing a knife. "I'm going to do you a favour and walk away. Go pick on someone else." Mother turns to leave as the astonished orc yells "Kay, fraghead. You asked for it." The orc leaps for Mother but he's already side steped away, a quick punch to the throat silences the troll. Moving to his side, Mother cinches up the ganger and proceeds to german suplex him back onto his own spine. Dazed, disorientated and in reams of pain, the other orc has no will to fight back at this point, Mother cinches him up again and throws up accross the street into a wall. There's a sickening crack. "Sigh, I tried to warn you chummer. Sit there nicely and I'll pick you back up and take you to the clinic on the way back." The orc's only response was to blubber for his mother

Rumors:
  • He Used To Work For Aztechology
  • He Knows What Elf Taste Like
  • He's Actually An Ork Enhanced To Look Like A Troll
  • He's A Fully Trained Medical Professional

In terms of runs, all kinds. Obviously Mother isn't the most subtle character but that doesn't mean he can't employ the subtle touch, wrestling trolls are silent of course. Goals do include however a) crafting the perfect bomb and b) suplexing a spirit. I don't know how feasible those goals are, but I'm willing to find out So looking through some of the books not only is bomb crafting and wrestling actual things but so is drug crafting. So add attempt to get a spirit high as a kite and create the perfect high to the list of improbable feats I'd like to attempt

Last edited by Preacherwolf; 09-02-2020 at 06:44 AM. Reason: changing the kind of Troll mother is. There's actual utility now
Old 08-25-2020, 07:41 AM
Rhymes with 'frothers'

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1855
bothers bothers bothers bothers bothers bothers bothers bothers bothers bothers bothers
Suplexing a spirit!

In my last D&D game, I, a gnome (average height 3.5 feet), tried to suplex a gnoll (average height 6 to 7 feet). It didn't work. I hope Mother has more luck making his dreams come true!

Last edited by bothers; 08-25-2020 at 08:20 AM.