RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 08-26-2020, 09:09 PM
The Archfriend.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13606
The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen
Character Details
right-aligned image
Name: Nicté Xiu

Callsign: Nightingale

Metatype: Human

Archetype: Healing Mage

Role in the Team: Magic and medical services, as well as scholarship.

Physical description: Long, straight black hair and blue eyes, with South American features, appears to be in her mid-late 20's, 1.8m, 55 kg

Personality: Despite her scholarly bearing and slight aloofness, Nightingale is a warm, compassionate person who genuinely wants to make the world a better place. Half throwback to the hippie era of the previous millennium, half street doc slumming with society's flotsam and jetsam, she tries to ease the suffering of the unfortunate while distributing "gentle reminders" about making better Life Choices.

Backstory: Nicté Xiu was born to an ancient Mayan family in Yucatán. Her father, an influential doctor, was outed as a supporter of La Venta anti-Aztlán resistance movement. When he was arrested in 2063 during 'Slash and Burn', Nicté and her mother fled the country with the help of NAN sympathizers, fleeing to the nearest available UCAS location: Seattle. Though she wanted to follow her father's footsteps in medicine, Nicté was afraid to expose herself in a high-profile job. Combining magical studies with the field of medicine, Nicté runs the shadows to continue her work where it's needed and pays well...the Shadows.

RP Sample:

Rumors:
1) "I heard she's running the shadows because of a messy malpractice lawsuit!"
2) "Really? I heard she had to flee Aztlán because her father was a revolutionary!"
3) "Yeah? Well I heard that she ain't no street doc. She's a real doctor with a medical degree and everything!"
4) "Nah, chummer, it ain't no real degree. She faked a buncha credentials to seem legit."

What kinds of runs interest you / your character: Mirrorshades: The midpoint between Trenchcoat and Mohawk. Generally involves some planning and legwork, while leaving room to "go loud" when/if stealth fails. Think along the lines of Deus Ex.

Last edited by The Rat Queen; 08-28-2020 at 12:26 AM.
Old 08-26-2020, 11:47 PM
The Good Doktor

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18883
GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism
Screw it, I'm down to two possible choices so I'll just put down both as we'll see which is better. If you have input, let me know.

Curses!

Last edited by GleefulNihilism; 08-27-2020 at 12:33 AM.
Old 08-27-2020, 01:16 AM
Archwizard of Flavor Town

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1233
derpoet derpoet derpoet derpoet derpoet derpoet derpoet derpoet derpoet
Adonay
Name: Adonay Velasquez; alias "Chaac"
Metatype: Human
Archetype: Adept/Gunslinger/Investigator (my noob is showing )

Physical Description: Adonay is a tall man, about 6'3", with curling black hair and a thick mustache. He wears a black jacket over a sleeveless shirt tucked into cargo pants. Dog tags dangle from his neck.

Personality: Coming off as aloof and stoic, Adonay can still be quick with a smile. He's haunted by his experiences in the Aztlan-Amazonia War and teeters between heartless and bleeding heart. He keeps his head in tense situations and tries to smooth things over when he can. He enjoys the humor of others but feels stilted in his own attempts at sarcasm and joking. He tries his best to have something worth saying when the time comes for him to speak.

Backstory: Adonay was born and raised in Cuscatlan, El Salvador, Aztlan. He grew up surrounded by gang violence and civil strife. His father sold jarabe de vainilla(a vanilla syrup used for drinks and ice treats,etc.), like generations of his fathers before him, and lottery tickets. His family's jarabe was famous around town, and an Aztechnology rep approached him about purchasing the recipe. Adonay's father disappeared into an office with Adonay waiting outside and never came out. His family was later informed that they were no longer legally allowed to produce their jarabe. Aztechnology came out with a series of vanilla flavored drinks and treats that was their most successful yet.

Adonay went to work in the coffee fields. A few years of this made him realize he either had to find a way out or he'd die in those fields. Seeing no other option, he joined the Aztlan armed forces. His powers as an adept awakened during firing drills. He rarely missed, sidearm or rifle. Money was coming in, and he was able to support his family better than he could toiling in the coffee fields. Then the war with amazonia began.

2072-2074 was hell for Adonay, as well as for any unfortunate chummer in Aztlan or Amazonia's armed forces. His dreams would forever be haunted by dragon roars and civilian screams. He was there when Sirrurg fell, and he was at the Battle of Bogota. He thanked whatever gods there were for the UN intervention. He felt he would never get the blood out of his hands.

After the war; he retired from the military and got a job as a detective for the Cuscatlan police force. He was only on the job for a couple of months when he stumbled onto a drug operation and busted it. What should have been a victory quickly turned to ash, however. The gang who had owned the operation began hunting him. They caught up to him on a public transit, and nearly put a bullet in his head. The gunfight on the transit was quick and bloody, with Adonay ending up on top. He knew he'd never have peace, so he ponied up the necessary nuyen and left El Salvador.

He ended up in Seattle. It was far from Aztlan and far from his old life, he hoped. He moved into Puyallup and got friendly with the Chulos gang. They only cared about you being Latino, and despite their... nature, Adonay felt welcomed by the culture. He took up shadowrunning on a suggestion from a Chulo who witnessed his gunplay at work in an altercation with another gang. He's been working up his reputation ever since.

Rumors:
-That shell-shocked Azzie got involved in a turf skirmish the other day. Ancients have it out for him now.
-I hear he's some kind of desperado who missed his shot in his first big run. Now he's eating table scraps.
-They say he spends every night between runs boozed out of his mind. Tips good at the noodle joint though.
-My cousin said he does runs for Puyallup's mayor.

Runs that interest me/my character: I think I'd like runs where there's a good amount of talking and figuring stuff out but with the tension/possibility of stuff going sideways. Fights are always fun.

Last edited by derpoet; 08-27-2020 at 01:16 AM.
Old 08-27-2020, 01:18 AM

Tools
User Statistics
@The Rat Queen: I didn't think anyone else would wanna be from Aztlan! Are you latino too? My family history always draws me to wanting to make an Aztlaner character.
Old 08-27-2020, 01:29 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 277
Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyfox View Post
Sorta the same; I'm bringing back an old favorite, but I try to make little changes here and there so that she isn't exactly the same. Also, I usually play 4th edition..
My first instinct in any RPG is to go and play the sneaky guy. Being a giant frak off troll is a nice change of pace for me. Although I gotta say, there is a paralyzing amount of cyber/bio ware to choose from
Old 08-27-2020, 04:30 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12388
UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool
Eddas is going to have judging flashbacks having to pick from all these great apps. Keep up the great ideas, chummers!
Old 08-27-2020, 06:54 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4567
Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas
Yeah, we're not quite halfway through the application period, and I've already got a bunch of awesome applications.
This definitely isn't going to be an easy choice lol.

I have the next 2 days off to recover from some oral surgery this afternoon, so if I'm feeling up to it, I might message applicants with questions about their characters.
If I don't message someone, its neither good sign nor a bad sign, so don't worry.
Also remember, you can continue to work on, or change parts (or all) of your application until the deadline, so if you feel the need to change something about your app, go right ahead. I'll be giving each app a fresh read after the deadline just in case I missed any changes.
Old 08-27-2020, 12:12 PM
Distanced, Socially

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17106
DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina
Stingray

Severia "Stingray" Stregadi
The Disgraced Heiress
"I'm willing to fight for what I believe in. Are you?"

Metatype: Troll Gender: F to M Trans Priorities: B-C-E-D-A Age: 22 Height: 2.65m Weight: 340kg

Archetype: Street Samurai

Books Used: Core, Run and Gun, Chrome Flesh

Physical Description: Trolls are generally pretty large, but staring up at Severia Stregadi has a way of making one feel much smaller than they'd expect. 2.65m is one thing, but it's the confidence, poise, and aura of dignity that truly make him stand tall. The picture is made complete by a crown of twisted horns emerging from a short crop of white hair and a sea of ebony skin. His lean and muscular frame is highlighted by a custom-fitted suit which shows off all of the best things in the most flattering way. While not flashy, one look at the troll makes it obvious that he has come from money, and lots of it.

Standing in Severia's hulking shadow is bound to make one feel unsettled. Is it the speed and grace with which he carries himself, uncharacteristic for one his size? Is it the keen intellect or the air of decorum with which he assesses a room? Or is there something else beneath the surface?

Personality: Severia is first and foremost characterized by his strong sense of justice. Having a degree in Sociology (with a minor in economics), he used his father's wealth and influence to champion meta rights on the international stage.

"For all of the progress we have seen since the 20th century, society still falls woefully short of the utopia our forefathers promised. Until we can view our peers as people rather than obstacles to overcome or categorize into little boxes that fit our narrow worldview, we will never be truly free, and we will never have peace."

His father either took no notice of his activities or deemed them too silly to give any attention, but it was clear from the start that he did not support Severia's endeavours. This conflict came to a head when, having lived a live feeling trapped in his own flesh, he revealed to his father that he was trans. He was born female, and Stanislov Stregadi had plans to forge his daughter into a powerful heiress who could marry into one of the noble clans. He had her trained by great warriors, educated by great scholars. And he had her upgraded by the best doctors money could by. But with each piece of chrome, Severia's internal disassociation grew ever greater until he finally understood the truth of what he was feeling.

Coming out was a freeing moment, but also a damning one, as Stansilov wouldn't have it. Getting cut from the both the will and the family's network of contacts meant that Severia now had to forge his own path. Luckily his work in social circles had not gone unnoticed, and he was soon contacted by an organization that sought to make use of his particular talents. This was a chance for the troll to start building back up to the influence he had before, and he was fully ready to take that chance in stride... with conditions. If he's going to fight for someone, it's going to be on his terms.

The Warrior's Code:
  • By your hand, death may come to those who sow injustice; it should fall to no otherDo not kill or allow to be killed innocent bystanders; he also interprets this as a 'no guns' rule*
  • There can be no peace in the face of dishonourDo not kill foes who are defenseless or unaware*
  • Your body is as much of a weapon as your blade; care for bothAvoid vices like drugs and stay well groomed; also, treat your weapon well and keep it maintained*

Preferred Runs:
  • Negotiations
  • Straight fights (particularly against shady characters)
  • Courier jobs

Opposed Runs:
  • Stealth/Infiltration (though he can be the getaway driver)
  • Kidnapping and similar
  • Theft or destruction of property that would otherwise be used for a noble prupose (i.e. stealing medicine, vandalizing a community center)

Starting Wealth:
Dice High Lifestyle:
5d6*500 (5, 3, 6, 6, 1)*500 Total = 10500
(10500)Ą
A Knight in Haute CoutureMuffled voices ran red through the thick mahogony doors of the office, a row between those within wherein neither side had any intention of yielding. Laguardia Templeton, stewart and house manager of the Stregadi manor, stood outside with a neutral expression on her face, though a discerning observer who knew her well could plainly see the concern splayed across her ever-so-slightly furrowed brow.

"--AND NO DAUGHTER OF MINE--"

"DAUGHTER? AND WHAT OF A SON, FOR IF YOU'D CHOSEN TO LISTEN TO A WORD OF WHAT I'VE SAID THEN YOU WOULD KNOW THAT YOU NO LONGER HAVE A DAUGHTER!"

From her place in the hall the rest of the "conversation" was more of a muffled assumption than a potential transcript, though by the occasional crash of some thrown object or another the manor's sole human resident felt fairly confident in the accuracy of that assumption. The two were no strangers to conflict, but this was something else entirely, and it was quite awhile before the chaos began to die down.

Eventually the situation came to a sudden and definitive end as the doors burst open and Severia Stregadi stepped through with a scowl plastered firmly on her surprisingly delicate features. The fact that the walls opposite the hinges remained intact after the action was a testament to the quality of the construction, for her massive frame, chiseled head to toe in solid muscle, painted a picture of great power and physicality.

He let out a primal scream as he slammed the portal closed behind him, an action which shook the very foundations of the house.

"By the SPIRITS I swear that man will be the death of me. How one so backward could amass such wealth and influence will baffle scholars for generations to come."

The troll found a plush chair nearby and sunk himself into it with a huff, his horns just shy of scratching the wood paneling behind as he allowed his head to fall back and his eyes to gaze wistfully at the high ceiling. Laguardia dropped her visage of stoicism and placed a gentle hand on the much-larger one of her charge.

"That well, huh?"

"That well. I suppose this goes without saying but unofficially I am no longer a member of the Stregadi clan. Of course I'll continue to live here to maintain 'appearances,' but the will is about to get a little bit shorter." He sighed: a deep, rumbling thing. "I never needed his bloody charity, and honestly his acceptance is more of a bonus than anything else. All I asked for was a little bit of respect, but that seems too difficult a request for His Lordship."

The stewart sat in his lap and laid her head on his breast, allowing the troll's arms to enclose her in a deep embrace.

"At least I'll always have you."

"You know you will, Severia. It's been a long time since our positions were reversed, but I will always have my arms around this family. I'll speak with him. Maybe I can--"

"No." He shook his head. "I don't want you risking your position on my behalf. This battle has been fought and lost and I think in the end I'm better off for it. I would rather live my truth than remain beholden to the expectations of a world that has no place for me. Today is the first day of my life -- the life I was always meant to live. I've cheated death enough times to know how fortunate I am to draw breath at all, and so now I draw it on my own accord, for my own purpose."

The pair finished their hug and both found their way to their feet before starting the long trek back to the east wing.

"Oh, and he's going to make me start paying rent, can you believe that?"

"No! Surely, you must be joking."

"I'm afraid not. I think he's going to have Monty come by to discuss rates on Friday, as if that squirrelly little rat has the wherewithal to out-negoiate me. Can you imagine?"
And now for something completely different..."Look sis -- er, bro... Severia. I'm just an intern. I get what you're trying to do, and I'm still your brother and we're family and all that, but that's dad. THE Lord Stanislov Stregadi. I can't stand up to him. Sigmund thinks I'm an idiot for even talking to you after that fight. He thinks it's safer to just never talk to you again. It's not personal, it's just... We aren't brave like you are. We need his support to achieve our goals. I mean, I'm sorry, but..."

"Calm down, Sauros, I understand. I'm not asking to you join me in this rebellion, if that's what he wants to call it. I am who I am, and if he can't accept that, well then frag him. You take care of yourself, and I'll take care of me. I just want you to know that I love you, and that I'm still the same old Severia. I just corrected the pronouns."

Despite being almost eight feet tall, Severia's little brother looked very small in that moment. The helplessness he was experiencing was apparently. The much larger troll patted him on the shoulder in a weak attempt to ease some of the burden.

"Go on, get out of here before you get disowned as well. If you need anything, call me." He gestured to the walls with a mischievious grin. "You know where I live."

Sauros chuckled despite himself, then exited with a sheepish bow and hurried down the hall. Severia watched him go with a pang of sorry in his heart. The poor kid was only 16, just trying to carve his name into the Stregadi monolith and make something of himself. He didn't need to get dragged into all of this, but what choice was there?

Well, there was always that choice: the choice made by her father and older brother to avoid this black mark on their legacy and cling to the old ways.

The wrong choice.

At least he's trying.

A buzz in his pocket brought him from his musings. He pulled out the commlink and arched an eyebrow at the message he'd received.

Private number, no metadata. Just two words:

<< GREETINGS, OMAE >>
Rumors
  • "Yo, that's Severia Stregadi! I hear her dad's worth like 20 billion nuyen, but he cut her off!"
  • "Isn't she a runner now? Dante told me she's got like a full-on Batcave under that mansion with like an invisible hoverjet and like 30 different battle suits for different occasions."
    • "Oh drek, for reals? With the ears and everything?"
    • "Nah, bro. Her handle's Stingray. They probably got a tail or like flappy flaps or some drek."
  • "Didn't she like rip a cow in half one time? Bare hads, just like RAWRG! Kersplash! R-I-P C-O-W."
    • "No way. Can't be done."
    • "Dude, seriously. She's beefy as hell. Err, no pun intended. But like she totally hulked out and went full on troll rage mode. Bessie didn't stand a chance!"
  • "You know what? I'd buy that. Pretty sure she's a zombie anyway."
    • "A zombie? Dude, you might wanna lay off the meth for a bit. What kinda bulldrek is that?"
    • "No dude, I swear she like literally died. There was a trid about it. She had like some disease so they filled her with so much chrome that she's not even a meta anymore. Just a walking shell."

Last edited by DAquilina; 09-04-2020 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-27-2020, 12:52 PM
The Archfriend.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13606
The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen
Quote:
Originally Posted by derpoet View Post
@The Rat Queen: I didn't think anyone else would wanna be from Aztlan! Are you latino too? My family history always draws me to wanting to make an Aztlaner character.
No, sorry...just thought it was fascinating. Especially how Shadowrun tends to emphasize how violent and ruthless Aztlan is, I thought it was a nice subversion to create a healer-type.
Old 08-27-2020, 01:48 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Ah, well, it still feels good to see someone interested in the culture! Even a fictional portrayal of it. Shadowrun emphasizes that but it still kinda comes from real life. My father's home country, El Salvador, is the most dangerous peacetime country in the world. And everyone has heard of cartel violence and corruption throughout Latino America.

I enjoy your character as a subversion!
Old 08-27-2020, 05:58 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 901
Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19
Ronin is finished, application-wise. I'll probably keep editing as I play around with learning character creation, even if I don't get accepted.
Old 08-28-2020, 02:02 AM
Community Supporter/Fox

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 283
Alyfox Alyfox Alyfox

Character Name: Taylor Elisabeth Harukana, aka 'Wraith'
Metatype: Elf, mixed ancestry
Archetype: Infiltration (not-Social), Scout, sniper

Physical Description:

Personality:

Backstory:

Eddas: I'll stick the secret stuff down at the bottom, which includes the full story of her background, rather than the publicly known

Some observations that have been made:

RP Sample:

Rumors:

What kinds of runs interest you / your character:

Last edited by Alyfox; 09-04-2020 at 06:18 PM.
Old 08-28-2020, 02:28 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 56
acgreen
Hello,

I'm new to RPG Corossing, but not pbp or Shadowrun. I'd like to offer up a character for your consideration.

Character Name: Yvette ‘Edge’ Auberjonois
Metatype: Human Looking
Archtype: Thief (BnE and Demolitions)
Physical Description:
Edge is a pale young woman, early 20s, with long blonde hair and sparkling green eyes. She is tall with a slim figure, her long legs are always bare no matter the weather.

Personality:
Quiet and calculating best describes Edge. She speaks little but her eyes and ears are always paying attention to everything going on around her. She always seems to be a little nervous when anyone is near.

Backstory:
Growing up on the streets of Quebec is rough for an orphan. For a young girl that’s even harder. “Seek the protection of the strong” is all I could hope to accomplish. I took refuge in a local gang, first as a crow eater then as an old lady helped me to survive my teenage years learning whatever skills I could from the members of the gang. When my gang was crushed in a territorial war I got hurt badly. I used what little resources I had left to repair my crippled body. I turned to stealing to get by. Each theft got me closer to physical perfection with new cybernetic limbs and body parts. Starting off with home break-ins moving up to bigger and bigger things I left Quebec seeking work south in the UCAS.

RP Sample:
Walking into Penumbra Station, in downtown Seattle, Yvette hangs herself and Shade’s arm, careful not to rumple his Berwick suit and Greatcoat. Her skirt and top were chosen precisely for this club and this occasion, a crafted image. Behind the pair lumbers Stonewall, an imposing mountain of metal and troll. The trio make their way to a booth at the back to meet Mr. Johnson.

Mr. Johnson had his as usual goon in a three-piece suit standing beside the booth. Shades slid into the seat opposite Mr. Johnson, Yvette flipped her blonde hair back and settled in next to Shades, again lounging against him, playing her part and staring longingly at the dance floor. Shades and Mr. Johnson began to discuss details of the run looking over an AR copy of blueprints for building they were to break into. “It’s a simple smash and grab job. All you have to do is sneak in the evening getting around one or two rent-a-cops. I’ve been told the vault is an easy job, pop off the panel patch the lock and in you go. All my employer is interested in is the contents of box 13 B. Anything else you wish to take you may consider additional compensation.“ Shades and Mr. Johnson began the back-and-forth negotiation for primary compensation for the run. Yvette continued to study a copy of the AR blueprints, Shades had sent her while Mr. Johnson talked, using her cyber eyes and superimposing them over the dance floor she was supposed to be watching.

After a few minutes, she interrupts the negotiation. “I believe there is a problem here.” Yvette indicated the AR projection of the vault. “The vault indicated on this blueprint is not the actual vault that one would find in this particular type of facility. The vault that is inside will require a very specific and controlled blast of cutting explosives to access an interior control panel. The cutting explosive will have to be monitored very precisely so that it does not trigger the interior security sensors of the vault door. This is one of two situations, either your information is woefully inadequate or this run is a set up. Which is it?” Mr. Johnson snaps his head around to match Yvette’s level gaze. His expression of control snapping back into place, his surprise quickly masked. He has overlooked her as eye candy, a common misconception she frequently exploited.

Rumors:
Yvette once ordered 66 anchovy and soy pizza's as part of a run.
She once murdered a family of five, and their little puppy too.
Edge has been known to steal candies from babies.
Edge used to be an orc.

What kinds of runs interest you / your character:
I have played Shadowrun from first edition to Fifth and I have played from Black Trenchcoat to Pink Mohawk. Most games of Shadowrun I’ve been involved in were Mirrorshades so I’m down for anything.

Last edited by acgreen; 09-04-2020 at 11:39 PM.
Old 08-28-2020, 10:12 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4567
Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas
Man, already up to 16 character applications. You all are not going to make this an easy decision are you?

Welcome to RPG Crossing acgreen!
If you're interested, we have an ongoing "all things shadowrun" discussion over in the general chat forum.
Old 08-28-2020, 12:14 PM
Rhymes with 'frothers'

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1855
bothers bothers bothers bothers bothers bothers bothers bothers bothers bothers bothers
I've been chuckling about this since Ungainly mentioned it yesterday. Fresh off judging Outplay, and now buried under a blizzard of excited runners, what a time to be alive. Imveros has a lot to answer for