Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand
The Untamed West

Game NameThe Untamed West
Game SystemOther Roleplaying Games
ThemeOld West Outlaws
FlavourTrue Grit, Guts, Glory and maybe a Bank Robbery
The end of a Giant:
left-aligned image
The year is 1845 and snow was starting to fall outside, the hooves of horses and boots of pedestrians churned the road outside into mud in the small town of Jackrabbit. Four rough-looking customers are drinking in relative silence inside one of the only establishments in this one-horse town, The Lucky Dollar. These four desperados just lost something near and dear to them, Their leader, Elijah Woodard. Elijah's plan was perfect or so they thought, if a little risky. They would send the non-combatants down the way to a little out-of-the-way spot just a little ways from Jackrabbit where they could set up camp and stay safe. While the five would lie in wait, several days up the tracks for the train to come through. It wasn't no ordinary train though, this was supposedly carrying a very valuable shipment of gold bars from a deal that had went down with a cattle baron and a couple thousand head of cattle. Just half of those gold bars would have set the group up for a long while. They would ride alongside the train, jump onto the train and hold all the civilians hostage as they offloaded the bars into their saddlebags one-by-one and then ride off into the sunset towards Jackrabbit. Unfortunately, one of the guards decided to play hero and got off a lucky shot with a shotgun and Elijah bit the dust. That's when all hell broke loose, guns started going off and people started dying. The outlaws let out as quick as they could before another guard got off a lucky shot.

While Elijah might not have been the best leader, he was a leader. He had led the group through the best and the worst and stuck with them. It wasn't like the gang had been the most useful, in some cases, it just seemed like Elijah was taking them in out of the goodness of his heart. A new leader would have to be chosen though and who would it be? They weren't completely out of options with the few, lower end prospects they had from the others in the camp but they had to find a way to bring in more money faster, in one big lump sum, if possible.

Details:
-System: Warrior, Rogue & Mage
-Extremely low/No magic
-Ask Questions!
-Starting equipment is going to be a little different than the book says:
Firearm, 1d6+4 damage, 6 shots, Action to reload, 20 yardsRevolver, -Repeater, Firearm, 2d6, 8 shot, Action reload, 40 yards
-Bolt Action, Firearm, 2d6+4, 4 shot, Action reload, 50 yards
-Rolling block, Firearm, 3d6, 1 shot, Action Reload, 60-100 yards
Rifle, Bow or Double barrel, FIrearm, 3d6, 2 shot, Action Reload, 15 yardsShotgun
Dagger, knife, or tomahawk
Cloth, Padded or Leather armor
A riding horse, Mule/Donkey or a Packhorse and all the tack that goes with it.
Lasso, Lantern, 5 dollars, 20 ammunition, etc.

Map

Applications:Name:
Concept: What the character might be considered as by others. Ex.: Doctor, gunslinger, wilderness hunter
Appearance: Two or more sentences with a decent-sized picture
Personality:
Backstory:
Connections: Create 2 more character concepts for people that are less than combat worthy who are members of the little group you call a family. Can be close, neutral, or maybe a little irritating to the player.
Opinions: Give me a little excerpt of how your character felt about Elijah and if they feel like they should be the new leader or who should be the new leader if not themselves.

Player Character Concept
HalcyonRhys Doc Benjamin Moon Doctor and Dentist
Wyrom Charlie Stanton Army deserter, Sniper
The Rat Queen Bridget McCleary Frontier woman/Soiled Dove
Ysolde Chan Yin Wang Chinese Immigrant/Spy/Explosives Expert

Last edited by Hal Hammerhand; 09-15-2020 at 06:57 PM.
Old 09-07-2020, 10:25 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 450
Happy Labor Day!
Old 09-07-2020, 01:55 PM
Half-Orc Ranger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5481
Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer
I love Westerns, and the system is easy and versatile, so I will get something up.
Old 09-08-2020, 01:07 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 405
Thaco Thaco Thaco Thaco Thaco
The system has a very "old school" feeling to it, which suits me just fine, since I'm "old".

With regards to Skills and Talents: do you want to stick with the ones in the book, or can we collaborate on creating new ones that are more specifically themed to the setting?
Old 09-08-2020, 02:46 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
You may create new ones that fit the setting. Obviously run them past me or we can work on them together. If you have a character concept, sent me a PM and I can help you put it together.

One I thought of today:
-Surgery - Mage. Can be used to prevent permanent maiming of characters.

Last edited by Hal Hammerhand; 09-08-2020 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-08-2020, 04:38 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
For the purpose of this game, the Talent: Dual Wielding lets you wield two of the same weapons, one in each hand and lets you attack with each of them per turn.
Old 09-08-2020, 04:57 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
I do have an idea...but I may need to tweak it some to fit into this game.

Considering that we are all part of a would-be train-robbing gang, are we necessarily "bad guys"? From what I can see, this system doesn't use alignment, but it seems that we would pretty much need to be on the 'non-lawful' side of things to find ourselves where we are, no?
Old 09-08-2020, 06:53 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
I wouldn't say that your little gang are really "Bad guys" because Elijah usually finds jobs that involve stealing from the rich and those who can afford to be robbed...sort of like a Robin Hood ploy. The train robbery went bad and killed some innocents in the cross-fire but the actual robbery would have involved the money of an over-rich cattle baron. But yes, your little group is less than "Lawful" but more like ...chaotic neutral outcasts from society rather than full-blown bad guys just shooting and ransacking everyone without any kind of rhyme or reason. Up until Elijah kicked the bucket, obviously. Whichever one of you chooses to take lead or if nobody takes the lead, it's where the four players lead the story, whether further into outlawhood or maybe towards the lawful side of justice.

Last edited by Hal Hammerhand; 09-08-2020 at 09:13 PM.
Old 09-09-2020, 11:06 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
The concept that I've had floating around in my head was an itinerant preacher, who wanders from place to place looking to dish out "salvation", but who definitely isn't your typical goody two shoes Sunday preacher type. I can see a few ways that I could work out how he would have hooked up with such a group. I'll start fleshing things out and let you know if I have any other questions.
Old 09-09-2020, 03:56 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
That sounds like a very good concept, Thaco, I can't wait to see even more details!
Old 09-10-2020, 12:08 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 530
HalcyonRhys HalcyonRhys HalcyonRhys HalcyonRhys HalcyonRhys HalcyonRhys
Post for interest. I have been mulling over concepts for characters.

1. A tequila drinking, pipe smoking, brutish marauder wanted on both sides of the border. (Mexican Female)
2. An exiled, harvard trained doctor/dentist with no money. (American Male)

Posting Status: Tuesday-Thursday and Saturday: EVENINGS
Monday, Friday and Sunday: OPEN
Old 09-10-2020, 05:22 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
@HalcyonRhys: Those both sound like amazing concepts, Halcyon. Is there anyway I can provide aid to help you form said concepts or have you got a grasp on them?
Old 09-10-2020, 08:31 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Hammerhand View Post
@HalcyonRhys: Those both sound like amazing concepts, Halcyon. Is there anyway I can provide aid to help you form said concepts or have you got a grasp on them?
Just not sure which one I find more interesting. I downloaded the manual and it's pretty straightforward. Just need time to dig into the guts of the characters.

Old 09-11-2020, 01:12 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Dr. Benjamin Thomas Moon

Name: Dr. Benjamin Thomas Moon – AKA “Doc”

Concept: Doctor and Dentist

Appearance: Three years in the Arkansas territory has given him the rough, leathery skin of the long-time homesteaders, and yet he keeps his blond hair, beard and clothes as clean as possible. He wears stout gray trousers, plain gray long-sleeve shirt with a blue and red plaid waistcoat; in honor of his English heritage. Over the top, a black duster coat covers his wide dual gun belt and a black topper hat.

Personality:
Meticulous about his work, Compassionate, Realistic, Mildly Vain, Plain-spoken.

Backstory: The 34 year-old Ben Moon graduated from Harvard University Medical School using money from his deceased grandfather Arthur Moon. He would have had top honors if he had come from a good New England family, but without that, he never had a chance getting a position in a hospital back east. After trying his hand at a failed private practice in St. Louis, Missouri, he emigrated to the Arkansas territory to try again, to start over providing health care to the settlers; where his sort of help is more necessary.

It never materialized. Without money, he was forced to resort to “deviant” behavior and ply his trade on the road with a gang instead of in the relative comfort of his own office. He has grown to love the freedom the open plains represents, but has not completely put aside his desire to be a physician, he has changed it into something adaptable, more mobile.

Connections:
Isaiah White – Doc encountered the 12 year-old Isaiah in Gainesville, Arkansas. The boy was homeless and begging on the street for coins, his clothes and demeanor making him look an inch from death. Because he was black, the townsfolk didn’t seem to want to help him, so Doc stepped in and gave him a sandwich, a jacket and a pair of shoes.

Jasper Pope - A brief stint in jail in Jefferson City brought Jasper Pope into Doc and Fanny’s lives. The man was a habitual gambler and drunkard. Like Doc, he was in jail overnight for delinquency stemming from a drunken brawl that broke several tables and a window, of which Doc was only peripherally involved.

Opinions: Crazy braggart had finally bit off more than he could chew… he didn’t deserve to die like that though. I think if he’d have listened to us, it wouldn’t have gone down that way. Maybe we would’ve even walked away with a little something to show for all that time and effort.

Levels/Skills/TalentsWarrior 2 - Riding
Rogue 4 - Firearms
Mage 4 – Herbalism

Talent – Henchman – Francine “Fanny” Paine – The 20 year-old was working as a prostitute at a bar in St. Louis, Missouri, when a gang swept through town on an alcohol-fueled scamp that cost several men and women their lives. She was shot in the side and her face peppered with buckshot. The good doctor patched her up, saved her life, so she has dedicated herself to helping in anything he needs.

Last edited by HalcyonRhys; 09-11-2020 at 01:17 AM.
Old 09-11-2020, 05:07 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
@halcyon: Very nice concept! Well put together and thought out. You don't have to have the henchman talent to have a companion since you guys do have a small group of individuals that will help you out at times but if you want to utilize dual guns, you'll need the Dual Wield talent. Just a heads up

Last edited by Hal Hammerhand; 09-11-2020 at 05:08 AM.