RPXP: 530
HalcyonRhys HalcyonRhys HalcyonRhys HalcyonRhys HalcyonRhys HalcyonRhys
An Uncertain Future

Taking Applications until September 24th

Game NameAn Uncertain Future
Game SystemDnD 5e
ThemeHome-brew Survival, Post-Apocalyptic Fantasy
FlavourDark and Gritty
Plot SummaryThe old world is gone, and its memory barely lingers among most of the races of men. Three generations of men have passed since the “Great Calamity” wreaked havoc on the entire planet, changing the face of Aern forever.

The advent of firearms, medicine and airships were pushing the world towards a technological and cultural boom unseen through the annals of history. It was the great academies of the Ghorderan Empire, luring people from all across the globe that lead this technological charge, giving them the money and power to control the entire continent at the height of their golden age.

It wasn’t to last.

A star fell from the heavens, a fell omen indeed. Though it fell across the world from the mighty Ghorderan Empire, the fallout darkened the sky for weeks. Earthquakes wracked the distant shores, rending the land from itself as volcanoes spewed their doom upon lands and peoples. Coastlines and islands worldwide flooded, and entire towns were dragged into the depths of the sea with little warning.

Famine and starvation followed, and soon the world was filled with dying, desperate people that railed against gods that were supposed to protect them. Wars over supply, conflicts over old grudges broke out and even the mighty Ghorderan Empire was brought low by petty, squabbling nobles who deposed the legitimate Emperor in a series of battles later called “The Final Act”. As a result, their once superior technology stagnated; and in some cases regressed to the not-so-distant past and magic once more reasserted itself as the foundation of this new, post-Empire life, a life of desperation and want.

Over the decades that followed, the line of usurpers squandered the Empires’ once vast resources, ceded control of territory they could no longer afford to hold, and within two generations, they controlled only their battered capitol and little else. All else either returned to wilderness, or was taken over by small groups of derelicts, marauders and the displaced; seeking shelter wherever it could be found. New homes were fashioned from the ashes and bones of civilization, and eventually there was an uneasy peace. That too was a fleeting thing. For these past 5 years, the fallen continent of Dijari has known peace for the first time since that great cataclysm. Under the lash of drought and famine in the south, the people of Dijari have seen a sharp increase in marauder activities in every corner of the realm.

As a denizen of Darkenrock, on the fringes of had been the mighty Ghorderan Empire, it is your duty to do what must be done for your settlement to survive.

Under Constant ThreatThe atmosphere within Darkenrock was heavy, the tension palpable and thick. Whispers had spread among the tents and citizens like wildfire. The scouts had come back with stories that would make even the heartiest warrior blanch. Dozens of marauders, all within a day of town.

Every man, woman and child kept their eyes to the trees, to the fields around the village and each day, they went to bed fearful of the marauders they knew were out there. Then one day, they were there in a rush, their makeshift weapons clenched tightly in hand. They descended upon the town like a hoard, charging towards the palisades, killing those that crossed their path indiscriminately. Fields were set alight, sheep slaughtered and taken for food. But they never reached the palisades. There was no need, they’d taken what they wanted, done what they’d wanted, to fill the people with fear.

In the weeks that followed, there was no warning before the attacks, but soon the citizens were always ready, not cowering to fear as the marauders expected. Yes, people died, food taken, fields burned, but they always rebuild. Will always rebuild.

About MeI have more than 15 years of experience GMing D&D campaigns (mostly 3.5E and 4E), among others. though none very recently. I haven’t run a PBP game, but I have seen so many wonderful games lately, and I wanted to contribute, to get back into it, to share my experience with others.

Game SpecificsI am looking for 6 to 8 players to post regularly (2-3 times per week)

Applications must include: SEE SPOILER FOR RACE/CLASS

A brief character description.

A character background.

A RP sample with your character.

Posting Status: Tuesday-Thursday and Saturday: EVENINGS
Monday, Friday and Sunday: OPEN

Last edited by HalcyonRhys; 09-13-2020 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Added Info
Old 09-10-2020, 03:10 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 100
kwil kwil
Name: Orta
Race: Half-orc
Class: Fighter

Orta is a half-orc that skews closer to her human roots. Though on the slighter side compared to orcs, she carries a quiet strength beneath her light grey skin. Her hair is kept short and tied neatly behind her head, and all her clothing and equipment is minimal, essential, and easy to reach.
She has never stuck to any location or occupation for very long, making due by any means necessary to survive for another day. Though avoiding conflict is preferable, Orta has learned to hit hard and hit first when things look to be going the wrong direction.
Old 09-10-2020, 03:37 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 793
Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19
I'm semi interested in playing a Guardian, and I was wondering how they will be treated now that they can't cast divine spells.
Old 09-10-2020, 03:43 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noquarter19 View Post
I'm semi interested in playing a Guardian, and I was wondering how they will be treated now that they can't cast divine spells.
Like with the other magic-users (Engravers, Healers, Bards, Rangers etc.) they "engrave" their spells rather then praying for them. The spells are identical, it's just how they are presented in the game. I will add a spoiler for the magic system, but it is a work in progress and may be tweaked during the game.

Old 09-10-2020, 04:14 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 793
Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19
Ok cool, thanks for clarifying for my half asleep brain
Old 09-10-2020, 04:47 PM

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
TheYell
Ageir
Human, aged 35, Male LG
Ranger - Beast Master, Panther Companion
Favored Enemies Humans, Orcs
Speaks Common, Elvish, Orc, Dwarven
Outlander Background - Hunter Gatherer
Personality -- Driven by Wanderlust
Ideal -- Honor
Bond -- Darkenrock
Flaw -- Slow to trust outsiders

Born in Darkenrock 35 years ago, Ageir has never known the High Culture before the Fall. Still, it’s apparent to him that things are getting worse lately. He’s on the front lines, often a week’s march from town, and he’s destroyed or chased off marauders every foray into the timberline. His parents are still alive and worry about him returning home but that doesn’t stop him from breathing fresh air. He is happiest when he is away from the petty politics of home. Yet, his honor requires him to defend the town to the best of his ability. He maintains a close watch on the terrain leading to Darkenrock from a day’s march away.

Aegir followed Girl into the treeline. The cat had found something. But when he saw her perched on the ruin, he winced. “Down, Girl” he called softly. It was a ruined airship, and that always meant skeletons inside. Girl growled as she hopped off the rusty steel tomb, and he held out his hand for her to lick as she approached. Suddenly she froze. Aegir stood still with his mouth slightly open to improve his keen hearing. Shortly he heard the clatter of approaching feet in the clearing beyond. Orcs, by the noise of them. He heard their rough laughter seconds later. He was grateful to be downwind of them.

gah I'll do that at level 3 I guess....sorry been up all night

Last edited by TheYell; 09-10-2020 at 05:24 PM.
Old 09-10-2020, 06:06 PM
Good girl by day.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13238
girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay
Okie-dokie! Call me interested. I've been looking for a good game for an idea that's been tickling my brain for a while now. I'll go with a Halfling Monk who works as kind of a peacekeeper, mostly concerned with keeping up good relations between the Halfling and larger Human community. Being good neighbors helps the Halflings live amongst the fine people of this fine town.
Old 09-10-2020, 07:41 PM
Ia! Ia! Aethera fhtagn!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 45325
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
You may want to add a timezone to your deadline if you're going to make it specific, or find a countdown clock on the web to link to.
Old 09-10-2020, 08:24 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aethera View Post
You may want to add a timezone to your deadline if you're going to make it specific, or find a countdown clock on the web to link to.
Thanks!

Old 09-11-2020, 12:53 PM
Pesky Goblin

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1502
Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe
Hey man, interested in making a healer character! How at liberty are we to add to the lore or world (i.e. places, groups)? And does religion still exist in Aern or was it pretty much quashed during the mass profanity?

Last edited by Vathe; 09-11-2020 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-11-2020, 01:03 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vathe View Post
Hey man, interested in making a healer character! How at liberty are we to add to the lore or world (i.e. places, groups)? And does religion still exist in Aern or was it pretty much quashed during the mass profanity?
Feel free to invent whatever lore you want to. Religious orders still exist in exile so to speak, but the members don't recieve anything from the Gods; it's like they are "hands off". They have adapted to a more mundane form of healing, using whatever they need to do to heal people.

Also "medicine" has stagnated to a similar level as what was used in the 19th century, and to many people those who practice it are considered "barbaric" (the whole cutting people open aspect), but in Darkenrock, that isn't the case, they are on the frontier, they use what they have to survive. They grow many of the herbs and plants they need for basic healing potions, poisons and other curatives, and more still grow in the wilds surrounding the town.

Old 09-11-2020, 02:50 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1792
Gadron Gadron Gadron Gadron Gadron Gadron Gadron Gadron Gadron Gadron Gadron
Interesting premise! Couple of questions for clarification:

- Do guardians retain the paladin's smite mechanic?

- If so, are smites treated like passive runes since they're melee-only (1MP per level to engrave them, .5MP per level to use them)?

- Looking at the magic system it seems as though runes are intended to be engraved out of combat and then used once the fight breaks out, but it doesn't look like there's any limit to how many runes a given character can have engraved at once. Is there a limit you have in mind for that per class, or do the MP you spend on engraving a rune maybe stay tied up in the rune until it's released?

Last edited by Gadron; 09-11-2020 at 02:51 PM.
Old 09-11-2020, 03:44 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadron View Post
Interesting premise! Couple of questions for clarification:

- Do guardians retain the paladin's smite mechanic?

- If so, are smites treated like passive runes since they're melee-only (1MP per level to engrave them, .5MP per level to use them)?

- Looking at the magic system it seems as though runes are intended to be engraved out of combat and then used once the fight breaks out, but it doesn't look like there's any limit to how many runes a given character can have engraved at once. Is there a limit you have in mind for that per class, or do the MP you spend on engraving a rune maybe stay tied up in the rune until it's released?
In regards to the first question: Yes, treat smiting like passive runes, triggered as an instant action.

As for the obeservation: That is what I intended with the system. To have spells "on hand" and ready to be triggered when they are needed. To speed up magic, and to increase the usefulness of wizards on the battlefield. That being said, the system is a work in progress and I still have to work out a few things, including how many prepared runes a caster can have. I think for now, we can use the "prepared spells" rules that already exist in the 5E rules and tweak them later if needed.

Old 09-11-2020, 05:20 PM
Good girl by day.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13238
girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay
What are your plans for "session zero" team building?

Could we also get some details on our starting location and circumstances?

Last edited by girlplay; 09-11-2020 at 05:55 PM.
Old 09-11-2020, 06:56 PM
Pesky Goblin

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1502
Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe
I'm open to changing things up to suit the party and story, but here's Benbeck! A goofy little halfling with a good heart.

The MenderName: Benbeck Nisha Knowles
Race: Halfling
Class: Healer

Description: Benbeck is a studious-looking halfling of less than a yard tall with curly dark hair and a soft but blocky face. His voice is rustic-sounding, soft and thick with halfling brogue. On the road he wears a mantled tunic of natural tones, his copper spectacles and an assortment of pouches for his mediums and herbs. Curious and rather cloudy-headed, Benbeck often relies on others, a trusting naivety borne from his comfortable life in Denil.

Backstory: Born in a quiet burrow in the sizable halfling village of Denil, Benbeck's early life was much as any of the small folk knew. Halflings had always been a simple people, who favored their neighbors and, most prized by the Empire, had thumbs as green as their feet were hairy. Well within the Ghordar borders, Denil's peace was stalwartly protected, their crops keeping swathes of the Empire fed.

It was in this peace that Benbeck enjoyed the childhood of a gardener's son, spending his time reading, fishing and growing vegetables and herbs with his family. But the day a human woman named Zelda came to Denil marked a great change in the young halfling's life. Born curious, the strange woman who had come to buy the family's herbs intrigued Benbeck. When she displayed a look of dejection that they hadn't what she needed, well he was willing to help if only to learn more.

Guiding her out of town where he had once found the ingredients she sought, the woman's sense of opportunity drew her to the young lad. In him was a vast store of naturalistic knowledge, as well as a clever mind from many years of reading and maneuvering his trickish fellows. He was a bit foolish and innocent, but in young Benbeck she found a student.

Years passed, many where the two would not meet, but always it seemed that the human woman returned just when Benbeck had finally mastered or wholly given up on a subject. Always she was there just long enough to provide a new challenge or tease the answer Benbeck did not know he knew out from him. His studies expanded, working hand in hand with his family's work as pleasant tasting herbs became medicinal, then became tonics and salves. He still maintained a pleasant life, but when the time came that he realized how far his knowledge had come, when he had unlocked the secrets of Engraving, within the halfling brewed a strained conscience.

He had been raised to help those around him, to do what he could for the good of others, but in Denil there were few pains for him to help. His home did not know suffering. Not like the rest of the Empire.

One last time Zelda came to Denil, when her apprentice had found himself without an answer. And once more she coaxed what he already knew from his lips. Despite his fear, despite his smallness, Benbeck knew he would have to leave. To see the lands beyond. To risk the dangers he had never known so he could do what was right. With his knowledge had come a duty.

But what the healer found in Darkenrock was far more terrible than he expected.

Benbeck: A Curious Encounter
right-aligned image

"Shh. Shh. No."

Benbeck gulped down spit, worry creasing his brow as the halfling held still the strange creature. Curious whimsy would have battled in him normally at even a sight of the weird glittering snake, but even if it was the first time he had seen anything of its like Benbeck could tell it was hurt somehow. It was too lethargic, sedated like he'd given it valerian oil. The winged little creature writhed in a weak struggle against him as he held it aloft and Benbeck continued to whisper softly as he tried to keep it from moving. "Calm, little one. Resonance is hard even with still things. I need to find out what's wrong with you."

Placing his forefinger firmly on what should have been the nape of the creature's neck, knowing that area to be the most controllable at least, the mender channeled to the touch rune tattooed on that finger tip and began to work. Muted light came from his sleeve. The true divination runes lay there in a dark, esoteric brace, but he could hardly be aware of that now. He could see far more than just faint lights.

What first startled him was that the creature was magical. Its internal flows were both connected and distant to the whole of the Weave in the way that all magic things were. Like a warm house with all its doors and windows shut. The second thing he noticed brought a trickling of sweat to his brow.

A window had been cracked in its house. So minuet, but he could see the energy slowly leaving it. Yet for some reason it remained gated, with no influx able to replace all the lost energy. That was why it hadn't used any of that magic to get away from him. If it did, it would only die sooner from the expense.

Again Benbeck swallowed. Could he fix this? He'd never encountered something like this before!

Last edited by Vathe; 09-12-2020 at 03:26 AM.