Old 09-11-2020, 09:22 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 604
HalcyonRhys HalcyonRhys HalcyonRhys HalcyonRhys HalcyonRhys HalcyonRhys
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlplay View Post
What are your plans for "session zero" team building?

Could we also get some details on our starting location and circumstances?
Honestly, as a bit of an old-school gamer, I had to look up session zero. I wasn't familiar with the term.

For right now, I just want the general idea for the character, nothing too specific. I like to see people's writing styles and creativity within the confines I outlined. Once the characters are chosen, if necessary, we can have a question and answer session for any doubts or questions before we actually start. I always prefer active participation from players.

I do know that many people enjoy character building even before the game (myself included; I tend to build them fully even before the characters are chosen), to get a feel for them, to begin to dwell in their mindset. I can offer this: Most of the equipment will be pretty standard with the exception of weapons and armor; those are limited at the start due to a lack of resources; imagine anything that can be made without metal and you'll have some idea about the starting situation. That being said; I do encourage creativity, so if a player has something specific in mind for their character's equipment, I will keep an open mind.

Another thing is that all characters regardless of class/race/background get 1 extra skill; mostly to represent how versatile the community of Darkenrock is.

NOTE: I will edit the initial post slightly to give a clearer idea of starting location and circumstances at game start.

Posting Status: Tuesday-Thursday and Saturday: EVENINGS
Monday, Friday and Sunday: OPEN
Old 09-11-2020, 09:48 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 901
Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19
I didn't see a starting level, but anyway, here's Varinn

Application
left-aligned image

Name: Varinn Redrök

Race: Mountain Dwarf

Class: Guardian (paladin variant)

Background: Hermit.

Varinn's family home was raided and burned by marauders several years ago, and Varinn himself nearly died trying to save his family. This life altering event left him numb for a long time, and he found a kind of solace in the art of blacksmithing. Separated from others, Varinn channeled all of his energy into forging powerful weapons and armor. The pain and rage he felt at the cruel deaths of his family poured out of him like sweat with each hammer blow, and over time he realized that his anger and pain did nothing if held inside him, but released, could be used to help others. In the end, he found the strength to accept his family's deaths, but vowed to be a force for good across the land, whether by supplying others with his handcrafted weapons and armor, or by the use of his own hammer and shield.

Personality: Varinn is contemplative by nature, preferring to let his hammer do the talking. He often gets lost in thought, and when he is crafting some new piece, he is nigh on oblivious to his surroundings. In addition, he has no concept of nor patience for social expectations and etiquette. "Life is too short to be concerned about holding my soup spoon just so, or getting hung up on referring to some fancy ponce as "Your grace."

Ideal: The dwarf places great emphasis on logic and reason, which helps keep his perspectives in focus as he makes his way through the barren world. Knowing that sometimes bad things happen despite our best efforts to control every situation puts the world into some semblance of order despite the growing chaos around him. "You let emotions guide your thinking, well, you've already lost."

Bond: Varinn harbored a lot of hatred for a long time, but as that hatred drained from him, it was replaced with a new perspective: that there is a great evil growing in the world, and that it is up to Varinn to help put a stop to it.

Flaw: If it can be said that Varinn has a failing, it is his cloistered mind. Although Varinn has rejoined society by traveling to Darkenrock, where he has set up a small shop adjacent to his forge, he is still not what you would call an open book. People may get to know his name and that he's been a blacksmith for "quite a few years," but as to the rest? Varinn prefers to keep his secrets.

Old 09-11-2020, 11:06 PM
Not lifting the siege yet

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 996
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege
The premise of this looks really cool and I'd love thinking up a character for this!
Alas, I am way too packed with other games at the moment, so I will just say hi and wish you guys a lot of fun with this.
Old 09-12-2020, 03:37 AM
Good girl by day.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13245
girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay
I withdraw my application.
Old 09-13-2020, 01:42 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 813
theclaytster theclaytster theclaytster theclaytster theclaytster theclaytster theclaytster
How does the society perceive Necromancy? Is it considered evil or just another method of magic? Most Necromancy affects are just similar to other spells as in they just cause damage. Would raising the dead be on the same par as charming/enchanting a person to control them, bending them to your own will. Is that perceived as evil?

I'm interested in being a wizard. Thinking about how I would engrave based various spells. I played a necromancer where I would entice spirits with my life energy to enact a spell. In this world I could see using bones in some state for necromancy. For an illusionist, crystals.

Playing a necromancer or illusionist, for example, to me, allow more RP value which is why I brought both up.
Old 09-13-2020, 02:34 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
During the "Final Act", there was an acute manpower shortage, so many vying for the throne resorted to necromancy, bringing the dead back to unlife to serve as their soldiers. Some were run-of-the-mill zombies and skeletons; while others were something more. As that Final Act waned, and the last, weakened Emperor had finally ascended the throne, Necromancers that had survived the conflict began to rue their creations; as the dead outnumbered the living. Many were locked away, but more still found their way out into the countryside, beyond the new borders of the Empire.

Now, most people see necromancy as a necessary evil, the only force that can contest some of the stronger undead creatures that have been spotted in the wilds.

Old 09-13-2020, 04:13 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
Axion

Name: Xona
Race: Human
Class: Engraver
Companion: A Heron named Anox
Background: Hermit
Personality Trait 1: I am working on a grand philosophical theory and will not share these ideas easily.
Personality Trait 2: I feel tremendous empathy for all who suffer.
Ideal: Logic. Emotions must not cloud our sense of what is right and true, or our logical thinking. (Lawful)
Bond: My isolation gave me great insight into a great evil that only I can destroy.
Flaw: I overlook obvious solutions in favour of complicated ones.
Life of Seclusion: I was the caretaker of an ancient swamp, full of dead technology.

Description: Xona is roughly adolescent, but is unsure of her actual age. She is slight, bony and adorned in the earth by which she walks. She weaves intricate patterns into the mud daily, the meaning of which unknown to anyone but her. She prefers to wear jewellery crafted from natural materials. Her clothing is often woven plant fibres.

Backstory/RP: Xona was pulled from the last cypress tree as it shed it's last leaves. She was missing for three generations, lost to the swamp as an offering of her tribes-people. Isolated, her tribe suffered with the ravages of the great calamity. She spent her time in a dreamlike trance, and became part of the tree, it's memories her's to hold and cherish. The tree kept her safe, cocooned from harm until it too could no longer hold on. She still remembers the axe blows, the trunk bursting open to a searing daylight and her ears assaulted by the insectile hum of the stagnant swamp.

She was pulled aboard the boat of a refugee known as May O Sun. May taught her how to be human, to communicate, to eat and to observe. Xona learnt the way of her swamp and through her time with May built an intricate relationship with the birds that lived amongst them. Of all the stories the birds shared with her, the herons appealed to her the most.

May taught her the power of engraving and how to etch her desires and control her future. Together they were working to carve out a peaceful life on the desolate swamp. This was before the marauders descended and Xona woke to a commotion. She scrambled to the deck hatch only to see May stamp the lid closed, her terrified eyes communicating everything she needed to Xona, RUN!

[Xona ran to Drakenrock ]

Last edited by Axion; 09-13-2020 at 04:21 PM.
Old 09-14-2020, 05:07 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 813
theclaytster theclaytster theclaytster theclaytster theclaytster theclaytster theclaytster
A Necessary Evil
right-aligned image

Name: Alice Bien
Race: Human
Class: Engraver (Necromancy)

Description: Standing roughly 5' 5", Alice was has an average build, pale skin, coal black hair, and amber eyes. She favors practical clothing, layers of which can be removed or added depending on the weather. Her cloths are normally a bit ragged, but clean. A head-piece is always present. She has an inquisitive look about her. Her telling eyes have seen more than than they should have at her age. A nasty scar extends from the left temple ending close to her chin.

Backstory: What do parents do with a child that others seem as a bit off or scare them? That was the nagging question her parents dealt with and why she is where she is now. Alice is a native to the village of Darkenrock. Her parents, as most who worked for others, had little wealth. They always said their wealth came from the services they performed for the church. The old run-down church in the center of the village which now seemed to serve not as a place of worship but a center for those injured, dying or dead. The old church had had better days. As Alice grew up around it, she knows all the hidden passages and places to hide. And she had to. She had an odd fascination with dead things being constantly exposed to death as her parents toiled for the church. People say she would be seen playing bones or talking to the dead or even talking to nobody. All was true though she would get punished playing with bones. And as you can imagine, she did not have many friends.

As she grew up, her interests changed, but all revolved around the dead or those dying. She would often question her parents or even the old cleric about death and dying. The church kept quiet about Alice as her parents having worked for the church since anybody could remember. Though they were concerned. This type of interest went against their nature. And unfortunately, it did hit a head when the village elders started meddling in her and her parents affairs.

As a gesture and something that pained him deeply, the old cleric, behind the backs of the village elders, said he knew somebody who could help Alice, if there was anything that could help her--an old hermit, Schmee. Initially her parents fought this. An eccentric old woman, it was rumored she could speak with the spirits of those past. Many village folk did commune with her, but none would admit it out right. In reality, she was part of the Enclave, a group of necromancers, once powerful in numbers, but now just a few, who used their abilities to counter the growing influx of undead.

The Awakening"No no. Lass." Schmee exhales with a bit of exasperation. Three rats are individually caged in small wicker boxes about 5 paces from Schmee and Alice. One died a few moments ago as Schmee was demonstrating necromancy. A larger box behind them holds maybe a dozen more creatures.

Alice was frustrated. She had not fully comprehended how to entice a spirit to perform a task. She can sense them all around, see many, but interact with just a few. Through Schmee's tutelage, she had taken the first steps by grasping that small fragment of the spirits former life. Now she was trying to coax it's desire to performing a task.

"Snap out of it, girl. You were close the last time." The strike of the thin willow branch across her back did not leave a mark, but was enough to get her attention. "You know what drives the spirit. It's the same as placing a carrot in front of a donkey. It wants to eat. It's the same here. They only want to continue with what they did in their past."

"I know, but I'm tired." Alice threw that out as an excuse, but it was true. Necromancy did take a small toll on the body. It takes a bit of your energy to provide the spirit or entity with the small amount it needs to complete the task you ask of it.

"Oh Pish Posh!" Schmee retorted. "I've seen 76 winters that I remember. Do you see me getting tired? Stop the excuses or I'll leave another mark on your back." She states with the one smile you never wanted to see from Schmee.

Alice refocused. Sticking her finger into the tallow she had collected days earlier, she draws out an oily glyph on a small rib bone. This time she ignored the slight drain of her life force as the glyph started accepting her offering. The final ingredient was a spirit. She chose one who attached itself to her years ago. This spirit, she sensed, had once been a female whose life was filled with tremendous sorrow and despair. When the glyph was complete, she knew the anxious spirit would complete her task, consuming the stored life force released from the glyph. Alice watched the rat move its ears as trying to hide the momentary sound of the dolorous bell ringing in its ears. The rat collapsed and died. The energy used, the spirit returned back to it's original state.

Alice watched, her mouth open, then smiled, then giggled. She understood. And the draining feeling seemed to be offset by a euphoria. Before Schmee could say anything, the final rat met the same fate. Alice started clapping like a child receiving a gift. Turning to Schmee, "That was easier than I thought. Oh my." Her heart was pounding. "This is fun."

"Fun?" Schmee looked at Alice with the intent to scold her. "Child. Fun is not the word I would use. You are performing acts which most think is blasphemy, and those that may understand it, want nothing to do with it." Her tone changes to more of a mentor. "What others don't realize is that we can perform similar tasks that mimic other forms of magic. We just use spirits and other entities to accomplish this."

"Ok. Maybe not fun, but I did do it. I can't wait to learn more!" Alice responds quickly. To her, it was fun regardless of what Schmee thought.

"Calm down." Schmee laughs. "Your enthusiasm may be more than your body can handle. That was a minor offering. It get's harder as you want them to do more. In some cases, it takes multiple entities to complete the task you ask of them."

Alice did not realize this. And then her eyes opened as she started to contemplate what could happen. It was like cooking. Each ingredient by itself was useful, but together, it made something special.

Schmee watches her with interest and trepidation. She learned quickly. But did she enjoy it too much? Exhaling softly, she would report to the Enclave of her apprentice. The question was how much did she want to tell them? She knew how they would react to a new practitioner.

Last edited by theclaytster; 09-23-2020 at 10:28 AM.
Old 09-15-2020, 03:54 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 157
Murdoch Murdoch
I have the bare bones of an idea for a druid that might take me a couple of days to put together. I just thought I would let you know I am interested. I assume druids use runes as well?
Old 09-15-2020, 04:46 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murdoch View Post
I have the bare bones of an idea for a druid that might take me a couple of days to put together. I just thought I would let you know I am interested. I assume druids use runes as well?
Yes, they do, and druids are most welcome.

Old 09-17-2020, 03:46 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Murdoch Murdoch
Name: Hyrim
Race: Wood Elf
Class: Druid
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Background: Hermit (I needed to commune with nature, far from civilization)
Personality: I often get lost in the beauty and wonder of nature, forgetting about duties and obligations.
Ideal: Free Thinking
Bond: I am still seeking the enlightenment I sought in seclusion
Flaw: I’d risk too much to uncover a lot bit of knowledge

Description:
Hyrim is 5’6” tall and slender, weighing only 120 pounds. He has bright green eyes and red hair that flows down to the middle of his back. He often wears studded leather armor that has been dyed green. He moves through the wilderness with a graceful confidence, finding that he is more at ease when he is alone.

Background:
Hyrim was always a quiet child, preferring the company of his own thoughts. As he got older he would wander away from the settlement for days and then weeks at a time. At first he just enjoyed the solitude, but then he found that he wasn’t seeking to be alone, he was drawn to the wonder and beauty of the forest. He would spend weeks wandering through the woods, marveling at the wonder and beauty of nature. He would spend hours looking at the trees, or flowers, or even the insects. After a while he was able to move through the woods quietly enough that he could get close to, or follow, most animals. He spent several days following a doe, just observing her graceful movements, the way her ears perked up at the slightest sound or her head raised every time she caught his scent. He enjoyed simply observing her as she lived her life. After several days, however, she was set upon by a pack of wolves. They harried her until they could bring her down and then they tore her apart so they could feast. Hyrim found he wasn’t upset by this, as it was how nature worked, and there was a savage beauty to the wolves as well.

In his infrequent visits home Hyrim began to notice a female elf named Duriel. She was probably 100 years or so older than him and he was fairly certain he had come across traces of her in the wilderness. He knew she was a druid and he wanted to learn from her. It took him about a year, but he finally managed to seek her out and ask if she would be his teacher. It turns out that she had come across him many times in the wilderness and he had never known it. Sometimes she would watch him as he observed the flora and fauna and she had known he would approach her at some point. She agreed to teach him the ways of the druids and she spent the next several years doing so. They would spend months at a time deep in the wilderness where she taught him about the uses of seemingly countless plants and how to find them. Hyrim thought he had learned a lot about the animals of the woods through his observations, but it turned out he had barely scratched the surface, and Duriel was happy to teach him all she knew. Neither of them was big on talking, so they learned each other’s expressions and body language. Soon they were able to convey entire conversations without saying a word. Hyrim came to love her like a big sister and she him as a brother. Then the marauders came.

They came to the edges of the forest with their axes and they cut down trees for their fires and for weapons, and they hunted the animals to feed their armies. The Elves of the woods came together and drove the marauders out, but how long would that last? They were focused on Darkenrock for now, but no one knew if or when they would decide the Elves were easier prey. Knowing that it is better to fight an enemy before they attack your home, Duriel sent Hyrim to Darkenrock to find out what he could about the marauders and to help the city defeat them.

RP:

Hyrim moved silently through the forest, approaching the clearing where he and Duriel had set up camp, and he knew he would find some sort of test waiting for him. She had sent him out to collect plants for something, but she hadn’t told him what. That was one of the ways she tested his knowledge. She would have him collect plants and make him tell her what they could be used for. It always astonished Hyrim how many uses she could come up with an all of the various combinations. That, however, wasn’t the test he knew he would find. Collecting the plants should have only taken him about two hours, but he had let himself be distracted. Of everything in the woods, hummingbirds were his favorite. He had spotted several of them and become lost in their wonder. There was just something irresistible in the way the tiny birds danced around a flower, darting in and out in a rhythm only they knew. The way the san came through the trees and lit up their bright green and blue plumage was too beautiful to resist. Before he knew it, Hyrim had followed the birds for over two hours, so now he was going to have to watch himself when he reached camp.

He moved slowly through the underbrush, trying to figure out what Duriel had in mind for him. It was always something he had to spot before it was too late. One time she had stuck poison ivy leaves among other plants and he ended up with a rash on his hands, and once she set a snare for him and he had ended up hanging upside down while she laughed from a tree limb. So he moved slowly, making sure each step was clear of any trap. Suddenly, he knew what the test was. She was hiding somewhere and he had to find her. As his eyes scanned the foliage he saw some bushes whose branches didn’t look quite right, but he dismissed that quickly. He had fallen for that before, only to find that Duriel had arranged the bushes to make him think she was there. After a minute or so he was certain she wasn’t on the ground, so he scanned the trees, and almost immediately he saw a large owl sitting on a branch, pretending not to pay any attention to him. There she was, he thought, so he scooped up a pinecone and threw it at the owl. The bird gave a screech and leapt from the branch, flying off into woods. As he watched the owl a second pinecone bounced of the back of his head. Hyrim spun around, only to find Duriel standing in the bush he had dismissed as her hiding spot.

“If you watched your surroundings as intently as you did those hummingbirds, you might not get hit with so many pinecones,” she said, laughing. Hyrim laughed at himself and put the bundle of plants he had collected near the fire, ready to start the lesson.
Old 09-17-2020, 06:53 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 901
Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19
Off topic, but the name Hyrim seems like a mashup of Hyrule and Skyrim, and now I'm trying to envision what a Legend of Zelda-Elder Scrolls game would look like.

Anyway, carry on!
Old 09-17-2020, 10:50 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noquarter19 View Post
Off topic, but the name Hyrim seems like a mashup of Hyrule and Skyrim, and now I'm trying to envision what a Legend of Zelda-Elder Scrolls game would look like.

Anyway, carry on!
Now that you mention it, it does make sense, not that I played Legend of Zelda much (not my style of RPG). I preferred Baldur's Gate, Eye of the Beholder and that style more.

I can imagine it as a dark, broken world, filled with undead elves. A lone warrior; among the last of his kind, against this undead world; very dark crystal-esque, where the communities are few and far between, help relatively non-existant. Crystal-based magic that is weakening by the day, the sun failing to lend it's light as the shadow deepens across the land.

Old 09-18-2020, 11:27 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Murdoch Murdoch
With the image of the lone Elf warrior gave me an image of a Conan like barbarian Elf, although I can't imagine Lamb writing an Elf as such a badass.
Old 09-18-2020, 11:52 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murdoch View Post
With the image of the lone Elf warrior gave me an image of a Conan like barbarian Elf, although I can't imagine Lamb writing an Elf as such a badass.

I imagined them more like an assassin, with talents like Lan Mandragoran (Wheel of Time) mixed with a samurai or shogun. Given the undead threat, they would carry a bladed spear with a mace ball on the other end, a three-piece rod, maybe a flail.

Closed Thread