RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 09-11-2020, 06:22 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2220
lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio
Rime of the Frostmaiden

As we have had so many fantastic applications, I am closing the ad at the end of the day on Monday, 9/21. I hope to have the game forum active on Wednesday, 9/23, and start play when everyone is oriented and situated. If you need more time for a developing character idea, please message me — I understand this is a big change from what I originally said!.

Game NameRime of the Frostmaiden
Game SystemDnD 5e
ThemeIce, Fear, Polar Werebears
FlavourLighthearted Horror
Plot Summary
right-aligned image
In Icewind Dale, adventure is a dish best served cold...

Together, we will discover the official module for D&D 5e, Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden, published on September 15. You'll start at level 1, exploring the Ten Towns. As you battle monsters, the elements, and your own dark demons, role-playing with your team and forming relationships with the locals, you'll grow into heroes of the realm. I am looking for five or six players who are interested in story and developing interesting characters. I will close applications on October 2, with the intent to start playing on October 5.September 21 with the intent to open the game forum on September 23 and start playing on the weekend.

Sourcebooks: Volo's, Xanathars, PHB. If you're interested in something else, or a UA subclass or subrace, please ask.

Posting Frequency: 3-4 times/week.

Theme: Horror, tempered with humor, fired with paranoia, isolation, and talking sperm whales.

What is Rime of the Frostmaiden?As I am writing this on Sept 8, I haven't read this adventure yet! I'm planning some speed-reading later this month. I now have the book and I'm busy ingesting it. I can now tell you that at the start of the adventure, Icewind Dale has been cursed by the Frostmaiden (Auril, the goddess of winter) for two years, during which time the sun has only been felt for a couple of hours midday, and then only dimly.

If your character is newly arrived on the scene, they will have had to fight the elements to get here, as Icewind Pass and the Sea of Moving Ice have become increasingly difficult (but not impossibe!) to navigate during this seemingly endless winter and brutal cold. If your character has been living in Ten Towns during this curse, they will have felt the pull of despair and darkness, as for two years there has been no summer, no spring, only darkness and cold. Travel, commerce, community -- all are strained to the breaking point, as each night before midnight, Auril takes to the sky on the back of a white roc and weaves her spell, a glimmering curtain of light, which prevents the next day's sun from rising. You've been living in another world, really, cut off from from the south, isolated, suffering through what you call the Everlasting Rime.

Promotional copy from the publisher:

left-aligned image
Beneath the unyielding night sky, you stand before a towering glacier and recite an ancient rhyme, causing a crack to form in the great wall of ice. Beyond this yawning fissure, the Caves of Hunger await. And past this icy dungeon is a secret so old and terrifying that few dare speak of it. The mad wizards of the Arcane Brotherhood long to possess that which the god of winter’s wrath has so coldly preserved—as do you! What fantastic secrets and treasures are entombed in the sunless heart of the glacier, and what will their discovery mean for the denizens of Icewind Dale? Can you save Ten-Towns from the Frostmaiden’s everlasting night?

Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden is a tale of dark terror that revisits the forlorn, flickering candlelights of civilization known as Ten-Towns and sheds light on the many bone-chilling locations that surround these frontier settlements.

The full adventure takes PCs from level 1 to 12. Definitely take a look at the many articles that have come out about it, but please don't read spoilers if you want to play!

The Team
right-aligned image
You as a Player

You love backstory. You love mysteries. You love a question to pursue. You love teamwork and working with your fellow players to make cool things happen. You're serious about character development, but you also like to laugh. You're more interested in story than winning. You are delighted by the idea that there's a talking sperm whale in this module, that you can ride from place to place while staying in a lodge that's strapped to his head.

And you're not an Icewind Dale purist. I haven't read the Drizzt Do'urden novels, and you will not be happy in this game if you are hoping to walk those paths and live that world exactly. I'm on page 61 of The Crystal Shard, but I still can't promise a faithful rendering of the world of the books.

Me as a DM

I view this game as collaborative storytelling, guided by the dice. I have plenty of experience DMing at tables, back to 2e, but I have been here at RPGX for less than a year. I'm a note-taker, a plot-brewer, a long-game-player. I like to create connections between events, people, and lore, and build the world we'll be inhabiting. I am open to us writing in breaks for you as a player when needed, switching characters when that makes sense for the story, and bringing in new characters if you die. I believe in "Yes, and" when possible and "No, but" when not. I love using published material and I'm very much looking forward to this module, but I also cheerfully and regularly diverge from standard paths and encourage players to be creative, so a "by the book" run through this adventure will likely not happen. My goal is to hit all the highlights.

The Party

You are LG, NG, CG, LN, NN, CN.
You level according to milestones, not XP.
You start with the standard starting equipment and gold, or you have a great RP reason why you need to customize, which we will discuss.
You will have to think about torches and rations and encumbrance and temperature, at least for the first chapter or two, because that's part of what makes this adventure interesting.
You will you standard array or 27 point buy to generate your stats. (Don't roll dice in this thread!)
You are ready for harsh, potentially deadly arctic conditions. Edit: You the player need to be ready. You the character may be woefully underprepared.

Application
right-aligned image
Please submit an application by commenting on this thread. Include the following:

Concept art, to give me an idea of your character's personality, and the tone of your application.
Name:
Race:
Class:
Alignment:
Background:
Personality:

Ideal: (this does not have to be one of the standard choices in the PHB)
Bond: (this does not have to be one of the standard choices in the PHB)
Flaw: (this does not have to be one of the standard choices in the PHB)
Hook: Why might your PC be in one of the Ten Towns? Are they from there? Visiting? On a mission?
D&D Bio in Brief: Describe yourself as a player -- what you enjoy in a game and what you hope to bring to one.

You don't need a character sheet, but you can include anything else you like, including RP samples, backstory info, your experience with this material, etc. Just don't roll dice in this thread.

Good luck! See you in the snow!

Applications: Last Updated 9/19
Player Character Race Class Alignment Background Complete?
Fillyjonk Ingetrude Frostblossom Hin Druid NG Bastard Complete
bananabadger Orwn Grinstyrw Goliath Barbarian CG Sailor Complete
Tyeal Lore Militan Tiefling Warlock (Seeker) NG Shadow Marsh Complete
Atrayn Falfen Yetisbane Human Sorcerer N Stormborn Complete
Touketsu Torchlight Goliath Paladin NG Fey Knight Complete
Draidden Arctic Storm Tabaxi Ranger CG Outlander Complete
NoQuarter19 Raithe ak'Terahn Wood Elf Ranger N Outlander Complete
triedtherest Hasim al-Malik Human Artificer N Guild Artisan Complete
kymrel Lenny Kobold Rogue (AT) CG Sage Complete
GrimDarkOtter Friar Khemed Dragonglass Human Cleric CG Hermit (Inheritor) Complete
Chrystom Bander Reese Human Warlock NG Soldier/Criminal Complete
NomadicDruid WIP
bubsmcp       WIP
Dargos Fizdish Snifflesnaper Rock Gnome Wizard (Div) NG Sage Complete
Vaultdweller Wilmorn Sageglow Half-Elf Ranger NG Criminal/Spy Complete
Ferdy Gandril Greensleeves Wood Elf Druid (Arctic) NG Coming of Age Complete
Inuvash255 Manneo Elanithino Goliath Wizard N Hermit Complete
Shaede Misery Feral Tiefling Rogue (AT) CN Urchin Complete
Togot Willow Wothbrook Human Wizard (Ill) LG Sage Complete
Bucephalus Zoran Dawncalled Human Cleric (Light) LN Acolyte Complete
Chaos Havik Wrthia Stormbringer Half-Orc Barbarian (SH) N Outlander Complete
BinnFord Anomaly March Kenku Monk (DM) NG Charlatan Complete
acgreen Lorien Highwater Half-Elf Sorcerer (DS) CG Daddy's Girl Complete
Vislands Ziusudra Ai'Anzu Human Ranger LN Bounty Hunter Complete

9/13: Wonderful ideas so far. A lot of your characters will be perfectly suited for the arctic, which is important for your survival! Having said that, I am also very open to a party member who might not be an optimal build, but has something important to offer nevertheless. I have greatly enjoyed reading your work, and I'm thankful for the effort you've put in!

9/16: I'm reading furiously to prepare for our adventure. The sourcebook so far is a wonderful mixture of creepy, weird, funny, and dark. I'm also reading at least one Drizzt novel, so I'm at least being intentional about violating canon, and a couple of other sources on polar exploration, so that I have lots of ideas for how your party will suffer from the elements. Really appreciate all the applications!

Last edited by lostcheerio; Today at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-11-2020, 06:42 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1193
Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk
right-aligned image

Name: Ingetrude "Tru" Frostblossom

Race: Hin (Lightfoot Halfling)

Class: Druid (I am VERY interested in the UA Wildfire Druid, but could go Moon or another subclass if this is not ok)

Alignment: Neutral Good

Background: Bastard

Personality: Like most Hin, I would rather make a new friend than a new enemy. I understand that I am not a Hobbit because copyright law, but don't call me a Halfling. I am not HALF of anything. I am a whole Hin.

Ideal: Charity. I steal from the wealthy so that I can help people in need. (Good)

Bond: I am a wrong-side-of-the-blanket daughter who has stolen my dead father's journals from his wealthy wife and legit children; I want to outshine his accomplishments as a druid.

Flaw: I will drop everything for a HOPE of finding my beloved-but-99%-sure-to-be-dead-brother---or even his body.

Hook: I was born and raised in Targos, the illegitimate child of a maid in a wealthy household. When the lord of the manor died, his widow kicked us out and we nearly starved. I became a thief to survive and buy medicine for my invalid mother. I believe the widow had my brother murdered to protect the claims of her legitimate (but younger) sons. I believe she poisoned my mother (who is now dead, freeing me to adventure) and my father. She still has a grand estate and a shipping fleet in Targos.

D&D Bio in Brief: I played all the time as a kid/teenager, and have played table tops like Dungeon Crawler on and off my whole adult life. I am very interactive, as in, I am interested in the character arcs of everyone in the party. I want other characters to push mine to change, and mine to push them. I am team oriented and do not like to play "against the party." I am not at all inclined stand lonely on a hill in a swirl of dark cape thinking about the moors. I would love it if, as we go along, we discover some bit of our history overlaps or entwines. I like horror stories, so have been interested in this mod from the first, but I DO have a sense of humor and love whimsy. That said, I do not like it when whimsy devolves into manic pixie dream twee. I am story hungry, love plot, riddles, connections, recurring themes, and recurring NPCs.

Character sheet (including Tru's full backstory on the NOTES page) can be viewed on DND BEYOND.

Last edited by Fillyjonk; 09-15-2020 at 04:42 PM.
Old 09-11-2020, 06:50 PM
Wandering Sage

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2326
Nomadic druid Nomadic druid Nomadic druid Nomadic druid Nomadic druid Nomadic druid Nomadic druid Nomadic druid Nomadic druid Nomadic druid Nomadic druid
You had me at "collaborative storytelling"... this is literally the phrase I use in everyday conversation explaining this strange D&D thing to newbies I attempt to recruit IRL.

SO ... uh...placeholder?
Old 09-11-2020, 07:02 PM
Ad meliora.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4875
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger

Name: Orwn "Oar" Grinstyrw
Portrait
Race: Goliath
Class: Barbarian (or any fighter-type or other class, like a cleric—particularly if rituals involve wine and feast days—as required for group)
Alignment: CG
Background: Sailor

Personality: Convivial and carefree (but also quite careless).
Ideal: A bottle of port in every port.
Bond: Loyal to shipmates, however you define the ship.
Flaw: Reckless. Never quite able to remove the last bread crumb from his beard. Slightly suspicious of hobbits, particularly sun-soaked ones.
Hook: Literally, a hook.

D&D Bio in Brief: I was an anti-geek.

Last edited by bananabadger; 09-17-2020 at 12:06 PM.
Old 09-11-2020, 08:27 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 432
bubsmcp bubsmcp bubsmcp bubsmcp bubsmcp
Nice! I was very much been drawn in by the cover art when I saw it!
Placeholder please!
Old 09-11-2020, 09:22 PM
Superior Sorcerer Supreme

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7201
Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal
I actually have a character that I wrote up for another Icewind game! Only hitch is the archetype is UA...

Character App
right-aligned image

Name: Lore Militan
Race: Tiefling
Class: Warlock (Seeker)
Alignment: CG
Background:

Personality: Despite his fearsome and devilish appearance Lore is closer to a scholar in temperament. Highly studious, shy around strangers and slow to warm up to them, as well as enjoying quiet peace and taking in the serenity of the world around him. He has an intense drive to acquire knowledge in all forms, particularly anything in regards to the origination of magic. Any magic. Divine, Arcane, Nature, Shamanistic, Paganistic; He wishes to know everything he can in regards to how spells are crafted and used in the world. He actively tries to avoid fighting, preferring to talk his way out or use his hellish visage to chase off those who provoke him. But when that fails he's more focused on disabling his foes rather than outright killing them. In his mind murder is a last resort.

He might speak like he's a living book and can come across as obsessive at times with certain subjects, but his arcane arsenal is varied, impactful, and he's willing to travel from one end of the continent to the other in the name of his goals.
Ideal: "I carry on my Master's work. I wish to understand the very fabric of magic."
Bond: "How can a creature like me truly exist?"
Flaw: "My time is short, and I can't afford to waste it!"
Hook: He seeks the one who wrote him the letter, Arcanum.
D&D Bio in Brief: Primarily I enjoy playing alongside interesting characters and seeing their interactions between my own PC as well as others. I can certainly provide this element myself as well as helping keep a game moving should it start to slow or become bogged down with indecision. I'll provide a few posts I've been complimented on as far as my ability as a player.

A Battle Of The Bards
Talk of the Summer Court
A Lesson About the Birds and the Bears

Last edited by Tyeal; 09-16-2020 at 11:10 PM.
Old 09-11-2020, 11:02 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6218
Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn
right-aligned image

Name: Falfen Yetisbane
Race: Human
Class: Sorceror
Alignment: N
Background:

Personality:

Ideal: Nature is cruel, but people are often crueler. I wish to someday love them both.
Bond: The wind and storm call to me, and I listen.
Flaw: My own powers shame me, even though I use them to my advantage.

Hook:

D&D Bio in Brief:

Happy to provide thread examples if requested.
Old 09-11-2020, 11:57 PM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3649
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Application
TORCHLIGHT
right-aligned image

Dagr Félagi

Goliath Paladin
Oath of the Ancients

Background: Fey Knight
Neutral Good

Though not native-born, Dagr traveled to Ten-Towns and beyond with his family when he was a young boy searching for their northern cousins at the Spine of the World. Unfortunately, the travelers were set upon in the mountains by a tribe of orcs under the cover of snowfall, with young Dagr only surviving by way of his mother's ingenuity. Risking it all, she tossed the boy down a massive snow drift. As he tumbled down the mountain, Dagr's final vision was that of his mother rapidly disappearing from sight... and then white... and then blackness.

Dagr would surely have perished out there in the frigid, mountainous wilds, were it not for a passing patrol of goliaths from Wyrmdoom Crag. It seemed a fated encounter. The child was injured, but alive, and he was rushed back to the safety of their settlement to receive medical attention.

With no-one left in the world, Dagr was adopted into the community. Stoic, but very friendly, the Thuunlakalaga clan of Wyrmdoom Crag were instrumental in raising the boy into a strong and principled man. Dagr's natural leadership skills shown through as he grew, and he was awarded the nickname "Torchlight" by Ogolai, chieftain of the Thuunlakalaga clan. Ever grateful for giving him new life and purpose, Torchlight decided to carry on their goodwill by traveling back to Ten-Towns to serve as a guide to wayward travelers and a protector for those in need.

Personality
Torchlight bears the hardy nature of his people, with a gregarious personality that makes him difficult not to trust. Selfless to a fault, he will throw caution to the wind at a moment's notice in order to help a stranger. Though many goliaths are known to be xenophobic at times, this mountainous hero treats all races and peoples fairly and equally. The noted exception to this is orcs... Torchlight still harbors a painful grudge against the orc tribes of the region for taking his mother and father away.

Ideal
Light. Through acts of mercy, kindness, and forgiveness, we kindle the light of hope in the world, beating back despair.

Bond
The sacrifice of my parents and the kindness of my adopted clan taught me that family is about bravery and devotion. I honor them by using my strength and gifts to protect the weak.

Flaw
Orcs took my parents from me, and I can never truly forgive them.
Player BioI've been playing D&D on and off since 3.5, but I became an avid player when 5E first came out. I love this game; character building is an extremely satisfying outlet for my creativity, and I love the aspect of collaborative story telling present in tabletop. Most of my experience has been as a player, though I've run a few games in my day as well. It's always fun finding new characters to play and stepping outside of my comfort zone; if selected for this game, I look forward to getting to know Torchlight as he finds his place amongst the group.

Last edited by Touketsu; 09-15-2020 at 10:29 PM.
Old 09-12-2020, 02:55 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1561
triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest
It's not in one of the Sources you said were ok but would you possibly allow an Artificer? I'm thinking of an exotic Merchant type character.
Old 09-12-2020, 08:18 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio
Quote:
Originally Posted by triedtherest View Post
It's not in one of the Sources you said were ok but would you possibly allow an Artificer? I'm thinking of an exotic Merchant type character.
I would. There's a video on the D&D Beyond YouTube channel in which Todd Kendrick and Jim Davis discuss PC choices for this setting, and they specifically mention Artificer as an interesting option. It's not a class I'm familiar with at all, but if turns out it makes the party stronger to have one, I would learn about them.
Old 09-12-2020, 09:45 AM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1332
Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden
Would you allow a Leonin race character? Either that or a bugbear?

I am thinking a Ranger style character with white fur due to there ancestors having lived in the icy wastes for so long.
Old 09-12-2020, 10:41 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draidden View Post
Would you allow a Leonin race character? Either that or a bugbear?
Hmm, like a snow leopard?

I would prefer not, because I don't have experience with these races. I do know that it takes a lot to RP well with one of the newer, "exotic" races. It's hard to gel with the group without making your character a human in a costume, reskinned for different stats/abilities.

I don't own all the books, and I'm old -- the human/elf/dwarf/halfling and fighter/mage/cleric/rogue characters are my comfort zone. If I'm your DM, I want to know your character inside and out so I can set them up to shine, and challenge them too. I'm learning Volo's and Xanathar's, to this end.

Having said that, if you have a sparkling idea, and are confident you can make it work, maybe you are the person who will teach me about Leonins and Bugbears.
Old 09-12-2020, 10:56 AM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1332
Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden
Actually I was looking at other races and I think the Tabaxi fits perfectly with my idea and it is from Volo's Guide to Monsters. It is a cat race that thrives off of curiosity and exploring. The live to discover things and solve mysteries. More interested in knowledge than in gaining wealth.

I will write him up and see if I can grab your interest. Unless you are totally against it and then I will make something else.
Old 09-12-2020, 11:10 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Volo's is A-OK.
Old 09-12-2020, 11:16 AM

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
stucanje
Hey! I'm new here, but have been browsing for a while. I have also purchased Rime of the Frostmaiden and am looking to DM it once the time comes (so close!), but it's also fun to be a player sometimes... I'll put a placeholder here for now and have a think while I'm at work. Thanks for running!