Old 09-12-2020, 11:22 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4364
Dargos Dargos Dargos Dargos Dargos Dargos Dargos Dargos Dargos Dargos Dargos
Fizdish
left-aligned image

Name: Fizdish Snifflesnaper, Student of Divination, the past, present and future, mostly past though, currently Junior Librarian and hopefully future sage in the greatest library in the North the Vault of Sages located in Silverymoon.

Race:Rock Gnome

Class: Wizard (Divination)

Alignment: NG

Physical Description: Like most gnomes Fizdish stands under 4 feet tall. He wears simple dark green robes with a small floppy pointy hat on his head and simple brown boots. A short reddish brown beard and a handlebar mustache sit underneath his fat gnome shaped nose. A perpetual smile is always on his lips and friendly green eyes complete the look. Fizdish has a gnome sized backpack filled with many items that he was told he needed on this trip. Slung across his side is a waterproof satchel that contains a few books and some pieces of parchment.

Background: Sage

Personality:: Fizdish is definitely the friendly inquisitive type, sometimes to the extreme. He has been known to annoy his colleagues with his constant talking and questions.

Personality Trait: I've read every book in the world's greatest libraries or I like to boast that I have.

Ideal: The path to power and self-improvement is through knowledge.

Bond: I work to preserve a library, university, scriptorium, or monastery.

Flaw: Most people scream and run when they see a demon. I stop and take notes on its anatomy.

Short Backstory: Fizdish grew up in in Silverymoon, one of the largest cities in the North. Both his father and his mother are librarians in the Vault of Sages. Fizdish followed in his parents footsteps and entered into the same profession. Contrary to popular belief not all librarians and sages at the vault are priests of Deneir. Some are simple scribes and others are sages of excellent renown. Working in the vault for a few years Fizdish is only a cataloger and organizer of all things in the library. That is ok with him because it allows him to read hundreds of books on dozens of different topics.

Fizdish feels that he is ready to take the next step and that is begin studying and accepted as an apprentice to one of the many sages and scribes in the Vault. Part of being accepted into this new position is a donation of rare and valuable tome or artifact to the library. Usually most sage apprentices come from wealthy and well off noble or merchant families. Even though both his parents work for the Vault and have taken a vow of poverty the requirement is not waived. Needing a donation of a valuable tome and no funds to purchase one Fizdish has decided to explore the greater North. His goal is to experience life outside the library as an adventurer like the many described in the books he read. He hopes to find something worthy for donation to the Vault of Sages.

Fizdish finds himself traveling past the Spine of the World and into Icewind Dale due to a reported sighting of a colony of miniature frost salamanders. Thought to be extinct for 300 years the report of the sighting by a local Ranger peeked his interest, even if the report is in a text almost 100 years old. Surely the colony is still there, there is only one way to find out.

D&D Bio: I'm an old 2e player who drifted away from D&D many years ago. I picked up 5e a few years ago and I was active on this site up until about 9 months ago. Burnout along with family issues caused me to pull away. I am back and I am willing to give it another shot. I read about a dozen of the early Drizzt books when they first came out so I am familiar with Icewind Dale. But I won't that get in the way of the DM telling their story in the setting.

Last edited by Dargos; 09-15-2020 at 09:34 PM.
Old 09-12-2020, 12:07 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1332
Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden
right-aligned image
Name: Arctic Storm, Storm for short

Race: Tabaxi

Class: Ranger

Alignment: Chaotic Good

Background:Outlander - Hunter-gatherer

Tabaxi Curiosity: is currently focused on the tales of the Caves of Hunger

Tabaxi Quirk: You keep a small ball of yarn in your hand, which you constantly fidget with.

Personality: I once ran twenty-five miles without stopping to warn to my clan of an approaching orc horde. I'd do it again if I had to. I watch over my friends as if they were a litter of newborn pups.

Ideal: Change. Life is like the seasons, in constant change, and we must change with it. Greater Good. It is each person's responsibility to make the most happiness for the whole tribe.

Bond: My family, clan, or tribe is the most important thing in my life, even when they are far from me.

Flaw: Curiosity gets the better of him a lot of the time and he has a hard time reigning it in.

Hook: Storm traveled to Ten Towns with his family, which was part of a wandering troupe of Tabaxi entertainers and tinkerers. He was ten at the time. After spending a couple of months trading and entertaining they had left one town and were traveling to another when they were attacked by gnolls. He saw most of his clan cut down before his mother had gotten him to a safe hiding place. She told him to stay and she went back to help the others fight. He stayed hidden until long after the fighting had stopped. He had been told not to move till his mother came back for him. She never did. He slowly crept out and saw many dead bodies. Most of them were tabaxi but there were several gnolls as well. After checking the bodies he discovered that his mother was dead and his father was missing. He has never discovered what happened to the 6 missing tabaxi and they have never shown up looking for him. He gathered up a few things from the wreckage of their wagons and then headed back to the town they had just left. He was found about halfway there by a group of hunters who took him with them back to town. Since then he has lived with one of the hunters, a human female named Janis. She has raised him teaching how to be a hunter which he has taken too quite enthusiastically. He now makes a living wandering between the Ten Towns hunting and trading the meat for money or information about stories of strange things in the area. When not on the hunt he is almost always seen fiddling with a small yarn ball in his hands. It is the only thing he has left from his parents, a small bit of yarn his mom was using to make scarves and gloves to trade.

D&D Bio in Brief: As a player I like a mixture of fighting and problem solving. I like games where there is interaction between characters which helps to bring them closer together as a group. A little tension from time to time can be fun, as long as not taken too far. I too am an old player. I have been playing since Basic Edition which I bought as a gift for my brother in the late 70's and it turned out I liked the game more than him. I am fairly new to 5E, been playing on this board for a while now, but still feel new and learning new things all the time.

Last edited by Draidden; 09-12-2020 at 02:01 PM.
Old 09-12-2020, 01:59 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 901
Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19
Application
left-aligned image

Name: Raithe ak'Terahn

Race: Wood Elf

Class: Ranger

Alignment: N

Background: Outlander (Trapper)

Personality: I place no stock in wealthy or well-mannered folk. Money and manners won't save you from a hungry owl bear. I feel far more comfortable around animals than people.

Ideal: Nature. The natural world is more important than all the constructs of civilization. (Neutral)

Bond: My family, clan, or tribe is the most important thing in my life, even when they are far from me.

Flaw: Don't expect me to save those who can't save themselves. It is nature's way that the strong thrive and the weak perish.

Hook: A trapper by trade, yet a loner by nature, Raithe makes infrequent visits to towns across the land. When he comes, leading a cart laden with furs, people tend to step away from the wild looking elf. Although lithe like many of his kind, the frequent forays into cold climates mean that he is so bundled with furs, he appears to be part beast. Raith has no real human companions; his only real associates are the traders he deals with in the towns, and even they consider him eccentric. Still, the quality of pelts he brings them are excellent, and in a cold climate such as this, one can never have enough to wear.

RP Sample:

About me: I had never done play by post until a couple months back, but I really enjoy it. I don't see my friends who I played tabletop with anymore, so having RPGX scratches that itch, and gives me a chance to exercise some creativity and ingenuity. I have a lot of fun coming up with my characters, and getting into the head of each of them when I post is great fun. I know nothing about this module except that it popped up on a Facebook ad not too long ago, and the concept of an arctic environment really appealed to me. Looking forward to having a chance to join!

Last edited by Noquarter19; 09-16-2020 at 06:14 AM.
Old 09-12-2020, 05:19 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1715
triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest
Hasim al-Malik
left-aligned image

Name: Hasim al-Malik

Race: Variant Human (Zakharan)

Class: Artificer

Alignment: Neutral

Deity: Jauhar (Zakharan Goddess of Wealth)

Background: Guild Artisan

Personality: An honest days work for an honest days pay, though I may haggle to the ends of Toril, I am always honest in my dealings, after all, nobody wants to deal with a cheat!
Refers to himself in the third person as "Honest" Hasim.

Ideal: Money, but not at the expense of reputation

Bond: I cannot look at my family again until I have made something of myself

Flaw: I'm never satisfied with what I have, I always want more!

Hook: Born into a wealthy merchant family as a middle-sibling, Hasim knew he would have to do something special in order to win his family's favour. He bought shares in and travelled with a trading venture heading to the "barbaric" lands to the North, who always paid handsomely for exotic Zakharan goods. Unfortunately, the Pirates that would normally only exact an exorbitant toll, decided to take everything. That also included Hasim and the crew, who were sold into slavery in Calimshan. Fortunately for Hasim, his family had made it a tradition to learn a trade-skill to fall back on, so was eventually able to craft and sell enough items in his spare time to barter for his freedom. Free but impoverished, Hasim headed north, looking to find a merchant venture worth pursuing. He eventually heard of a seeming abundance of naturally occurring crystals called Tourmaline to the frozen North, that could absorb and redirect the Weave into offensive Magic. Thinking that he could find a way to fashion these crystals into something worth selling, he headed to Ten Towns. Fashioning anything from the crystals with his current level of skill proved to be inefficient for the time being, though it did allow him to construct a number of own-use magical devices, but he did find a niche within the local business Consortium as a Tinker and a Pedlar of random wares. He has now been in the area for several years, and knows as much of it's ways, customs and resources as an outsider could, has made himself useful by trading with the more remote-living inhabitants of Ten Towns, but he is still looking for a way to make "The Big Score!"

D&D Bio in Brief: I have played D&D since 2nd Edition, have gone on to play 3rd/3.5, Pathfinder, 5th Edition (pretty much missed out on 4th after playing it a couple of times). Due to work/family commitments, I hadn't gotten to play much in 5th until I joined RPGX late last year. I have not played this module, and it's been a few years since I read any of the Drizzt novels. I like to roleplay through my characters quirks, but not in a way that is likely to upset play, and I generally set up my characters to have a decent supporting role.

Last edited by triedtherest; 09-19-2020 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-12-2020, 05:57 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5803
kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel
Sadly, I have to withdraw my application for reasons explained in a separate post.

I have taken the Oath of Sangus.

Last edited by kymrel; 09-15-2020 at 08:16 AM.
Old 09-12-2020, 08:28 PM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3668
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
I'll try to have my application finished by Monday.

Honestly, I was surprised to see no other goliaths yet; they seem like a very obvious choice for a harsh, snowy setting. Maybe it's just because their racial modifiers lend well to barbarian and fighter and not much else.

I think they could make for interesting paladins though.
Old 09-12-2020, 08:35 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Touketsu View Post
I'll try to have my application finished by Monday.

Honestly, I was surprised to see no other goliaths yet; they seem like a very obvious choice for a harsh, snowy setting. Maybe it's just because their racial modifiers lend well to barbarian and fighter and not much else.

I think they could make for interesting paladins though.
Um, there is a Goliath Barbarian and a Goliath Paladin submitted already.
Old 09-12-2020, 09:02 PM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3668
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draidden View Post
Um, there is a Goliath Barbarian and a Goliath Paladin submitted already.
Whoops; missed the barbarian. But uh... I'M the paladin, lol.
Old 09-13-2020, 05:31 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5803
kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel
My application (Lenny the Kobold Rogue) is now complete. I would welcome a review, if you are planning to do those.

I have taken the Oath of Sangus.
Old 09-13-2020, 07:55 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Touketsu View Post
Whoops; missed the barbarian. But uh... I'M the paladin, lol.
LOL! That is what happens when you read the entries but don't pay attention to who wrote them.
Old 09-13-2020, 12:19 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4540
GrimDarkOtter GrimDarkOtter GrimDarkOtter GrimDarkOtter GrimDarkOtter GrimDarkOtter GrimDarkOtter GrimDarkOtter GrimDarkOtter GrimDarkOtter GrimDarkOtter

Name: Friar Khemed Dragonglass
Race: Human
Class: Cleric (Nature)
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Background: Inheritor (if permitted, Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide) or Hermit

Personality: Khemed typically presents as a calm, even-tempered fellow, ready with a gentle word or helping hand. This is the way of his order, of course, still as the pools the Eldathyn tend. But Khemed still has human blood alongside his elven serenity, and given a few good drinks or a cheery crowd, he is apt to engage on long-winded tales of his travels or engage even the oddest stranger in friendly banter. Around comrades, Khemed often moves to take charge, accustomed to the deference given to the clergy and eager to head off any potential sources of conflict, but when challenged he may choose to bide his time rather than force an issue.
Ideal: Peace Among the Free Peoples
Bond: The Still and Sacred Places
Flaw: The Comforts of Civilization

Hook: The mendicant priesthood of Eldath maintains sanctuaries of peace throughout the natural world, many just outside civilized settlements. Though the white wastes of Icewind Dale are far from the verdant greenery of the great forests, they too need the services of Eldathyn clergy. The Ten Towns attracted many troubled souls from the south, fleeing war and turmoil, or simply seeking to leave their past behind. For years, Old Jove Geryn wandered the circuit of sacred places, but even the wisest are called to rest and now Icewind Dale needed a new mendicant Eldathan. Drawn by dreams and visions in commune with his deity, Khemed knew that there was a great need for the Peacemaker in the North, and perhaps even greater dangers lurking ahead. But with a cheery outlook and faith in whatever destiny the gods would deem necessary, he struck out to the west and north for Icewind Dale and the Ten Towns.

D&D Bio in Brief: Got my start with the isometric games, including Icewind Dale, so I'm a bit excited to see what the new Dale content looks like. Been playing since 3.0, though largely PBP for many years including on this site. I dipped out in 2015/2016 in order to focus on law school and in-person groups. Currently I play in one and DM two in-person groups (both Eberron) so it's been a while (and two editions) since I've been in the Forgotten Realms. In playing, I enjoy the worldbuilding aspects, of having a place and players/NPCs who feel like they belong in that place.

Last edited by GrimDarkOtter; 09-14-2020 at 06:55 AM.
Old 09-13-2020, 06:03 PM
Peek-a-boo

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7884
Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom
Application for Rime of the Frostmaiden
Bander Reese

"Boy, be fracking afraid of greatness -
while some suckers are born great,
and some idiots achieve greatness,
others have greatness sneak up behind them,
beat the living snot out of them
and drag them off by the throat kicking and screaming.
"

Name: Bander Reese
Race: Human
Class: Warlock

Background: Crooked Soldier/Deserter on the Run (Using rule in PHB to combine Soldier and Criminal backgrounds, if acceptable)

Personality: I've seen too many friends ripped apart or cut down right before my eyes. The thought of carrying another dead friend on my soul terrifies me. I'll do all I can to keep that from happening...again.

I don’t want to die like some old man, asleep in my bed. I want to die like a soldier: on my feet, fighting shoulder to shoulder with my brothers-in-arms, and a pile of my enemies dead around me.

Personality and Description

Ideal: Those of us who have the power and the ability should protect the innocent who cannot protect themselves.

Bond: The life of a comrade is always worth saving, even at the sacrifice of my own.

Flaw: I am tormented by the deaths of my brothers-in-arms and those I have cut down. The ghosts of both haunt my dreams and sometimes my waking hours.

Motivation

Hook: Bander is a deserter on the run. He has been charged with attacking an officer, attempted murder, and desertion; all hanging offenses. He has been on the run for 6 months and arrived in Icewind Dale a few weeks ago hoping to hide out here at the end of the world. Sitting around the local tavern one night, the old soldier was approached and offered a job as a town guard. Knowing that his belt pouch was woefully low on coins and that a man had to eat and the drink maybe being more important in this miserable placedrink, Bander grudgingly agreed to the job offer. Now he finds himself bashing the heads of drunks that get out of hand and guarding the town from the many dangers of the tundra. It's not much of a job, but at least it pays the bar tab.

Since deserting from his unit, life has become lonely, purposeless, and oh so complicated. So even in this miserable block of ice called Ten Towns, Bander seeks what he always had in the military: the companionship of brothers-in-arms, a purpose bigger than himself, and the simplicity of life or death decisions.

Hook Info

Why are you in Icewind Dale?

Defining Moment

A Typical Day in the life of a Soldier

D&D Bio in Brief: I have been playing D&D on and off since the 80’s. I was very active here on rpgcrossing until about 7 years ago when my duties in the Army gave me little to no time for anything else besides work, family, and sleep. I have since retired from the military and have just recently returned to the site. This will be my first foray into 5e. I have gotten copies of the approved rule books and am currently familiarizing myself with the changes since 3.5. I have now read through all the approved material.

If you are willing to take on a 5e noob, then I am the type of player who loves character development over the course of a story/campaign. I want to see my character grow and develop as a person and not just be a set of stats I use to kill things. I really enjoy the collaborative storytelling and the great potential for roleplaying that pbp affords us if everyone puts in the effort. I also really enjoy getting to know the other characters and watching our characters interact and forge bonds together. I hope to bring to this game my sense of humor and my enjoyment of well-crafted posts.

I am somewhat familiar with the setting from having read the books years/decades ago, I am defiantly not a setting purist by any means. I am always in favor of the idea that this is the DM’s world and what the DM says goes.

+

Last edited by Chrystrom; 09-19-2020 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Gave Bander a job...because you got to pay for the whiskey somehow
Old 09-13-2020, 07:26 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 661
VaultDweller VaultDweller VaultDweller VaultDweller VaultDweller VaultDweller
Definitely posting for interest! I'll have my app up this week for your appraisal.
Old 09-14-2020, 07:49 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 454
Ferdy Ferdy Ferdy Ferdy Ferdy
Tyeal was kind enough to agree to a bit of backstory tie-in between Gandril and Lore, so if both exist in the game then they begin already having met and travelled together from Kuldahar to Ten Towns (or wherever the module begins) to begin looking for clues about the Heartstone Gem.

Character App
left-aligned image

Name: Gandril Greensleeves
Race: Wood Elf
Class: Druid, Circle of the Arctic Lands
Background: Acolyte
Backstory:

Personality: Despite an age that would be considered advanced in human years, at 62 Gandril is still in the elven equivalent of his middle teenage years. Gandril has quite literally never left the shelter and warmth of the small hamlet of Kuldahar and the protection of its Great Oak. The bustle of the ten towns is an unimaginable wonder in his mind and every experience, sight, or encounter is brand new to him. As such he often reacts to them in strange or inappropriate ways and often looks to his new friend Lore, a very young and naive creature himself, to help puzzle them out.

Ideal: Much of Gandril's motivation for leaving Kuldahar is to prove, to himself and to others, that he's not a child any longer and can use the skills he's learned to survive and thrive even away from the sheltering boughs of Sylvanus' mighty sacred oak.

Bond: Gandril is extremely appreciative of his opportunity to travel with Lore and often seeks to understand unfamiliar situations by getting Lore's take on things. It doesn't register in Gandril's mind at all that Lore is a very young creature himself who's not seen much of the world either, the mere fact that he's been places other than Kuldahar prove to Gandril that he's well-traveled enough to be seen as an expert!

Flaw: Gandril often doesn't understand how strange he seems to others and doesn't know enough about other things to consider them strange even when he should.

Hook: Gandril seeks the Heartstone Gem to restore Kuldahar's direct connection to the god Sylvanus. Secretly, Gandril's main motivation for seeking it is to be seen as capable, accomplished, and "not a child anymore" by his fellow Sylvanite druids. Being that Gandril absconded from Kuldahar without telling his parents or fellow druids, he worries that they will send more seasoned Sylvanites to track him down and bring him back before he can accomplish his goal of locating the Gem.

D&D Bio in Brief: Of the "3 D&D pillars" of combat, exploration, and roleplay; I tend to enjoy RP the most and the camaraderie that can emerge between players. I've never read the Drizzt novels but I have played the PC game adaptation and borrowed a couple of elements from that (namely Kuldahar as a location in the Spine of the World, and the Heartstone Gem, the artifact of the god Sylvanus which is supposed to be enshrined there but was stolen. I really enjoy the lore of the region so I'm greatly looking forward to the opportunity to revisit it in the context of a completely new module!

Last edited by Ferdy; 09-14-2020 at 12:59 PM.
Old 09-14-2020, 10:16 AM
Level 30 Commoner

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4926
Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255
Scrawn - Complete

Name
Manneo "Scrawn" Elanithino

Race
Goliath

Background
Hermit

Class
Wizard

Alignment
True Neutral

Personality Traits

Background Feature - Life of Seclusion
"My life as a hermit began when I was exiled from my tribe - deemed too weak to be an active member of Goliath society, even at a young age. My leaving was lamented, as is our way. Instead of succumbing to nature, I found peace and safety in seclusion and study of the world around me."

Ideal
Live and Let Die
"I don't feel it's my place interfere in the affairs of others - unless their affairs affect my affairs."

Bond
"I work to build and preserve a personal library. The contents range from banal and mundane texts, to unusual and arcane tomes, to trashy and salacious pulp. Quantity of unique books matters more than quality in my library."

Flaw
"I see knowledge as a score, a competition to be won. I seek knowledge not for its usefulness nor for the sake of learning; but to prove to others that I am worthy."

The Adventurer on an Adventure
Personality and History
Despite being a Hermit, Scrawn doesn't hate civilization so much as not feel a lot of connection to it. At a young age, he was exiled from his tribe for failing to meet the standards of Goliath physical prowess. Where others would receive a name describing their prowess for battle or something they are good at - Scrawn's Naming overlapped with his Lament; and his honorific reflected the reason for his exile. The society of humans, elves, halfling, and dwarf did not appeal so much to the goliath - so he went it alone; and used his talents to learn and feel the natural world as well as the Weave that connected it all together.

This connection between the Weave and the natural world has lead him to believe that all things are part of a single, ultimate plan - everything and every event has a purpose, and even the most chaotic actions may have been pre-determined. Scrawn sees his place in the great plan as being a solitary one. He's accepting of company when it comes, but doesn't feel he needs it either. Likewise, he feels for those who suffer, but ultimately - he won't interfere in their affairs; because surely it's someone else's fate to intervene; not his own. The exception to this rule is when those affairs interfere with his own - for he feels his ultimate fate remains to be seen.

Despite this fatalism and disconnection to society, he still feels that goliath competitiveness. He collects books and knowledge and reads voraciously to compete with other intelligent folk he meets in his travels. Scrawn has a cabin at the edge of the Neverwinter woods that he fancies as a library. He's collected a great deal of books- and is always seraching for more to add to his collection. Scrawn considers this to be a suitable way to compare knowledge because one can keep a running count of the number of books on shelves. Someday, he'd like to visit Candlekeep just to marvel at the sheer number of volumes they have within their hall.

Hook
You could call it a mission. You could also call it a backpacking holiday. Scrawn travels to the Ten Towns in search of a small collection of books. He'd like to collect a book unique to each town, in that town, to add to his collection of books. In his cabin back at home, he has a special shelf that he's decided as the spot for "The Ten Towns Collection". This journey, he reckons, should be fairly quick - a few tendays maximum, even as winter comes to the North...

Hook ContinuedTwo Years Later
Winter came early to the Ten Towns as Scrawn arrived. Autumn shifted to winter, and winter to deep winter, and it never let up. The snow rose high, the winds blew heavily, and the troublesome terrain became deadly. Even though Scrawn can handle the cold, all the other troubles of this heavy winter left him trapped in one little town. For the rest of Faerun, winter gave way to spring, spring to summer, and the rest. For two full cycles now, Scrawn has been trapped in a winter hellscape that simply won't end. Scrawn was never the sort to get involved in other people's problems - he never thought his fate would lead him to save a town, nor a region, or anything of the sort. He's stewed on fate for a long time, and has finally decided that if he's ever going to get his book and return to his library - he's going to need to figure out what's up with this winter and put a stop to it.

Other Quirks

Scrawn doesn't use a traditional spellbook like most Wizards use. Instead of fancy inks and arcane scripts; he's got a book full of pressed flower, leaves, and herbs. The plants are arranged in a particular way to mimic the magical netting of the Weave, specifically the arrangement to cast particular spells. In his travels, Scrawn will be on the lookout for just the right shape of plant, press it between two rocks, and use his magic to dry out the fire over a low heat. In the event that he needs to transcribe a spell from one spellbook to another, he would need to purchase rare dried herbs or spices to get the transcription done within a reasonable time, or alternatively send someone else out to find the precise cutting he needs (which very well could cost 50gp or more).

Player Bio in BriefSo, typically I'm a DM. I've been DMing off and on here since around the time I started almost eight years ago. In real life, I've been DMing 5th edition D&D since it was called D&D Next; and started my first live game using the last beta-test packet. Nowadays, I DM two games a week via Discord and Roll20, and one of them is a sandbox run out of the Forgotten Realms as presented in the 1st/2nd edition Gray Box. They just hit level 14 after a year and a month of play, and I'm excited for what happens next in that!

I've also played in a number of campaigns run by friends, as well as a few on here. I've been playing in Wynamoinen's Uncaged game for about a year. In fact, my first RP post as Sasha will have been written exactly a year ago on Friday the 18th! As that game is just about wrapping up, I was hoping to sink my teeth into another game. My other group is coming out of Ghosts of Saltmarsh, and going into a homebrew campaign.I have zero plans on running Rime of the Frostmaiden for any of my live groups, so I don't have any real knowledge of the module other than what the company has talked about twitter... like a couple art pieces, and Chris Perkin's explanation of what Ten Towns is (I watched it for a bit of info while writing my character).

In D&D, I enjoy roleplaying a fair bit; as well as problem solving. I've really enjoyed horror campaigns such as Curse of Strahd (I've run it in live format twice). While you can get there in any campaign, I find that the likes of Strahd keep you on that knife's edge, between success and ruin - and I think that's a fun place to be in when playing D&D.

When it comes to the Forgotten Realms, I most enjoy places that are very strange and different (like I expect this will be) or the places that are the most Ren-Faire or Tolkein-esque fantasy locations; such as This is coincidentally where that sandbox campaign I mentioned is set.the Dales, Cormyr, and Sembia. I'm less interested in most of the It trends fantasy-kitchen-sink to me. I can't pull a notable flavor from most of it, and that just makes it bland. Baldur's Gate is a notable exception, but only because I played a really memorable partial-campaign set there once.Sword Coast.

Also, I've never read a Drizz't novel. I have no clue where I'd even start.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D14871D9-5063-4A03-8087-E7E0956274BD.png
Views:	49
Size:	245.2 KB
ID:	86989  

Last edited by Inuvash255; 09-17-2020 at 11:54 AM.