DnD35e Recluce Series by L.E Modesitt, interest probe - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook facebook

Notices

Old May 21st, 2005, 01:24 AM
and Corey Hart sings...

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3004
Cleokatrah Cleokatrah Cleokatrah Cleokatrah Cleokatrah Cleokatrah Cleokatrah Cleokatrah Cleokatrah Cleokatrah Cleokatrah
Recluce Series by L.E Modesitt, interest probe

I've yet to see a forum game from this series so those of you that are familiar, what's your interest in a game based off this world? I would probably need some help creating it, and I would definately need help dm'ing it. I'd just like to know if there's anyone out there who is interested.
Old May 21st, 2005, 01:31 AM
Senior Space Cadet

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 48
Jaruen
It sounds interesting. I would love to see how this game can make Ordermaster magic work, and white chaos magic also. Granted, I have only read about three books in the series, but I enjoy it nontheless.
Old May 21st, 2005, 01:38 AM
and Corey Hart sings...

Tools
User Statistics
Cleokatrah Cleokatrah Cleokatrah Cleokatrah Cleokatrah Cleokatrah Cleokatrah Cleokatrah Cleokatrah Cleokatrah Cleokatrah
I think there would have to ge alot of adjustments, which is where I would need the help. The first things I can think of are alignment (a grey wizard would have to be neutral, and instead of good and evil, it would be black and white) and magic (spells would have to be categorized into white or black). Another would be the repurcussions of doing things against your alignment: black mages can't really kill in the series so that would have to be accounted for. Maybe give them all automatic non-lethal damage or something.

It would take a lot of work so this is at least 2-4 weeks in the future but it would be great to pull off.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 12:40 AM
and Corey Hart sings...

Tools
User Statistics
Bumping this so it doesn't fall quite just yet. No one os familiar with this series?
Old May 23rd, 2005, 12:50 AM

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
OxiNu
I LOVE Recluce, and would absolutley love to play D&D in a Recluce setting.
Weather Wizard, Ordersmith, Engineer, Chaos Wizard, Fighter(heh), Healer....
Interesting possibilities. A little unbalanced in terms of the class selections on either side (order, chaos) but very nice.

Slow down with saying nobody's interested in it, give it 3 days at the LEAST before you say that. It's been mere hours, and many gave up on the site due to technical issues for the rest of the day. They'll probably see this tomorrow.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 01:27 AM
and Corey Hart sings...

Tools
User Statistics
What I'm thinking is more like adapting the current SRD to the laws of chaos/order (more freedom for players that way). Instead of alignment, there would be a chaos-order scale, in which your actions earned you points. Grey would be the middle, and would be very difficult to accomplish/sustain though I haven't figured how yet, and a character would be able to accumulate points and spend them on chaos/order abilities. I think, that way, people will be able to customize their characters into whatever chaos/order vision they have of them. Of course, only magic users will be able to use chaos/order magic but non magic users will be able to strengthen their skills via applying their chaos/order points to them.

Then again, now that I've typed all that, maybe creating new classes would just be easier, lol. But it seemed like the other way offers more variety. Anyway, this is why I'm looking for opinions. And thanks for showing interest.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 02:47 AM

Tools
User Statistics
OxiNu
Wow, that sounds really cool! Way more creative than just having new classes. I'm even more interested now...

Perhaps have heavy penalties for using abilities which are not your current swing of alignment. You could have a whole tree of feats dedicated to reducing these penalties and modifying your alignment, similar to the two weapon fighting feats in normal D&D.

I don't know if anyone would want to play a nonmagical character, though, since the books focus heavily on the fantastical element. Need to offer an incentive for the fighter or drawbacks for the magicker. Ah~ the first feat taken by magic users would have to be Order Control or Chaos Control. Perhaps have their mastery over both in degrees? I. E., a Grey wizard will never be as good at order magic as a pure Black.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 03:12 AM
Uncle Quartered

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 82
Blayz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleokatrah
What I'm thinking is more like adapting the current SRD to the laws of chaos/order (more freedom for players that way). Instead of alignment, there would be a chaos-order scale, in which your actions earned you points. Grey would be the middle, and would be very difficult to accomplish/sustain though I haven't figured how yet, and a character would be able to accumulate points and spend them on chaos/order abilities. I think, that way, people will be able to customize their characters into whatever chaos/order vision they have of them
The problem is that this is less DND and more...something else, which means unless you are a games designer whizz you'll need some playtesting to ensure balance. I would have thought the order/chaos thing could be covered by using the DND psionics rules, as much as I hate them. Give people a power pool, and restrict/modify the psionic powers to allow what is in the books.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 03:30 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
pourmeanotherbeer
ive never heard of Recluse, but what youve got sounds very interesting. I would like to learn more.

Quote:
I would have thought the order/chaos thing could be covered by using the DND psionics rules, as much as I hate them...
Psionics are reeeeeeaaaally cool, in some ways better than the spellcasting rules. They can be adapted to many different forms of game, as youve said above. You shouldnt slag them off, i will slice your head off with my dorgi of decapitation . Muhahahahahaha....
Sleepin' all day, stayin' up all night...
Old May 23rd, 2005, 07:57 AM
Samurai Master of Tennis!

Tools
User Statistics
crzdmaniac123
I know nothing of recluce... however if you need another player then you can count on me. I can make a character quickly and can post many times a day. Just gimme a PM if you need me...
Worst Online Dice Roller #2
Old May 23rd, 2005, 11:48 AM
Radical Compartmentalist

Tools
User Statistics
Crellan
Big recluse fan here.

I like the idea of playing in the world, but I think you'll need almost a whole new D20 instead of adapting D&D.

I do think that the Psionics book may be a better basis for magic than the standard D&D magic section. This also allows for psi-warriors to be like the Westwind type fighters or the Chaos-Troops.

If you really are putting something together PM me as I'd be interested.

I don't believe in athiests.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 08:50 PM
Flower of Everything!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7824
ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63
Great series! I think I have read almost every book. Even some of the whites were of good alignment, and could channel some of the order based magic. And the blacks did kill in self defense. What do you think they did with the black ships? And psionics rule!!!! They are some of my favorite and most powerful characters.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 11:06 PM
and Corey Hart sings...

Tools
User Statistics
Looks like I'll have to do some psionics research, as I haven't played with them yet.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 11:14 PM
Uncle Quartered

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 82
Blayz
Quote:
Looks like I'll have to do some psionics research, as I haven't played with them yet.
Worry about the mechanics later. Get a rough feel for the powers now.

fr'instance chaos: burning hands/fireball type behaviour, scry, magic jar

law strengthen material,...
Old May 23rd, 2005, 11:18 PM
Flower of Everything!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7824
ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63
Quote:
http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm

I hope that helps....