RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 12-05-2018, 11:29 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1709
penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0
Druzilla Javotte
right-aligned image

Seriously, a public room at a rundown and none too clear inn? I was on the run and in disgrace but I didn't have to put up with this insult. Ywain would pay for this, not now because I needed him, but sooner or later, he would pay.

"Women sit in public rooms in inns here in Camelot, Lord Ywain? That would be a scandal where I grew up and I'm afraid I would not feel comfortable. I will wait outside in the coach until you find us accomodations."

Old 12-05-2018, 01:22 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1807
ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart
HeartHeart continued to stretch, reaching his arms over his head until any nearby could hear an audible pop. He sighed in relief and dropped his arms back to his side. "I've needed to do that for the past two hours." He said to no one in particular as he rubbed his newly popped shoulder. Looking back at the barkeep, Heart could see the man reaching for something underneath the bar. As he did, the smile completely dropped from his face. The barkeep got a full glimpse of the Tiefling's true face. All he saw was a cold, merciless expression. It was the face of a borderline sociopathic killer. "Oh? So now a man isn't allowed to defend himself? In Wonderland, you would have been executed long ago for being worthless to our society."

Just as quickly as it came, the expression was replaced by the smile once more. "But this isn't Wonderland now is it? All these pointless rules and racist people make this not an ideal place for us to visit. There are a lot of Tieflings in Wonderland you know. All colors too, red, lavender, blue, black, even white. When I return from my vacation, I'll be sure to inform people that Camelot is a pathetic, pointless, place to vacation, with even more pathetic and pointless people." It was unknown what was scarier, the sociopath underneath, or the rambling, smiling, Tiefling who clearly had at least one screw loose.

Heart turned to the crowd that had gathered since he had entered and gave them all an exaggerated bow. "A very merry unbirthday to you all." He had definitely spent too much time in the presence of the hatter. The man had further unhinged an already unhinged man. With an unnecessary flourish, Heart used Thaumaturgy to fling open the tavern door, and stepped outside.

Old 12-05-2018, 02:00 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 213
StarSignMaster StarSignMaster StarSignMaster
For DruzillaYwain was extremely confused. He ran outside to reason with Druzilla. “I can find favour with a friend if the inn is not to your liking! I did ask if you could handle the drabble, and you said yes? I really had no intention to offend you.” Ywain, though still trying to be as polite and not-worth-killing as possible, was getting annoyed by Druzilla’s lack of humility. Out of the corner of his eye, he could see a tiefling sauntering past. He did a double take. No, that’s really a tiefling.

HeartIt was a knife that the barkeep was grappling for. He probably was cracking under pressure after the thinly-veiled threat that was the stretch. As soon as he picked it up, he dropped it back down as Heart began his monologue. The entire inn watched in confusion as the tiefling rambled on about foreign concepts. Wonderland? Vacations? Un-birthdays? Whoever this tiefling was, they sure were glad he was gone. After Heart leaves the tavern, he sees a knight trying to reason with a darkly-dressed lady by a coach.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:59 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1871
Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64
Bertilak had trouble hearing Chuillin's rambling words once the reference to the tiefling's sword occurred. The young paladin shifted his chair so he could keep the tiefling in his field of vision. He was relieved that steel hadn't been drawn, then the relief vanished when the barkeep pulled out a knife. Fool! What good is a knife against a longsword? Does he have a deathwish? But Bertilak kept his face impassive as he watched the confrontation continue.

He didn't think much of this 'red knight' after the tiefling delivered his tirade. So you're insulted because he is bigoted against you, and your response is he should be killed for being worthless? Mother will appreciate the irony when I share this story. Still, he was a foreigner in his country who seemed like a spoiled, temperamental, noble's brat, and Bertilak had a bad feeling that someone could die if he didn't keep an eye on this tiefling.

After the man in red left Bertilak sighed and turned back to Chuillin. "Forgive me, Chuillin, but I suspect that tiefling could find himself in an unexpected sword fight rather easily. He is probably some kind of visiting noble who isn't used to...difficult people. I would just as soon nobody's blood flows today," the young man said with a smile." I think I should keep an eye on him. I will try to find you this evening after supper, because I would indeed be interested in discussing the Round Table." After a couple more pleasantries, the paladin left the tavern to see what mischief Heart was getting into.
Old 12-06-2018, 05:12 AM
<insert witty title here>

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1261
Watcher Watcher Watcher Watcher Watcher Watcher Watcher Watcher Watcher
The Huntsman
right-aligned image
The tavern door swung open suddenly and with force.

Having been in the midst of reaching to push the wooden door open, having seen another pair enter mere moments before him, the huntsman was surprised when it slammed into him. Rolling with the impact, the tall man growled as the hard surface hit his shoulder and flank, his outstretched arm recoiling to avoid breaking a wrist or fingers. The bundle across Alder's broad shoulder toppled to the ground, landing in the mud of the street with a wet thud.

"What in the nine hells..." Alder muttered, as he saw a tiefling burst out of the tavern in what seemed to be something of a huff. "Careful, lad, you could hurt someone opening doors that way."

Glancing into the tavern, through the opened doorway, Alder noticed patrons observing the scene, some with sneers and others with curious expressions. Seemed the huntsman had missed some kind of event, but judging by the owner of the establishment, it wasn't difficult to guess what might have happened...

"Old bastard behind the bar up to his usual antics?" The huntsman asked, eyebrow raised as he looked to the tiefling. "Sorry about that, lad. Tell you what, let me buy you a drink and offer to sort the bastard out... I haven't been in town for long, but I've seen enough of his attitude to have had enough.

"Your call."

With a grunt, Alder bent down and picked up the bundle. Those that looked could see wolf pelts, several of them, some considerably large for the common animals. The huntsman walked through the door, leaving the tiefling to make his decision, before he stalked over to the counter.

"Two ales," Alder said in a low, growling tone. "One for me, the other for my tiefling friend, if he joins me."

The tall man in the armor and cloak flipped the wolf pelt bundle heavily onto the bar, letting the resounding thud resonate through the area, before he brought the point of his skinning dagger - more akin to a shortsword, compared to his height - into the surface of the bar with a crunch.

"Oh... and if he does join me, you little bastard," Alder leaned forward, eyes narrowed, fists clenched as he rested on the bar to get as close as possible to the barkeep. "You'll smile, be polite, and show him the respect he deserves for being a humanoid in this land... do you understand?"
Warning: rolls have been deleted from this post.

Last edited by Watcher; 12-06-2018 at 05:13 AM.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:00 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
The barkeep was feeling particularly brave today, even though on every other day he was shaking in his boots when Alder came into the bar. "The Hellspawn deserves none of my respect. And neither do you. I want you out of my bar. Permanently. And I sure do hope your tiefling 'friend' joins you." There must have been a little voice in the back of the barkeep's head saying "you idiot, he's going to kill you", but if there was, he didn't hear it.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:26 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0
Druzilla Javotte
right-aligned image

Ok, I was losing my temper but I didn't yell. Indeed, my voice got lower, and slower, and I paced my words very carefully so that this young naive could follow them without getting confused.

"Do you know why the Morrigan sent me here? To do what she wants is going to require an incredible amount of skill and finesse, it's extremely unlikely to require brawling, and even then I'm going to have to be incredibly lucky. To even have a chance, I have to work my way into the inner circle of young King Arthur and to so that I must be seen as a princess.

And you want me to sit around in a not terribly clean bar in the middle of the city waiting for a room like a serving girl? YES, I want you to get your head around what we need to do here. And that means behaving like a noblewoman. Noblemen can sit around bars, noblewomen cannot. Men can dress in rude hunting clothes and not bath regularly, noblewomen must always be perfectly turned out.

So, yes, do whatever the hell you have to do but do it RIGHT. Do you understand what you need to do for our mistress?"

Old 12-06-2018, 09:32 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Ywain tapped his fingers on his swords’ hilt. “I am sorry, my lady. I suppose neither of us will get our beauty sleep tonight. Let us depart to my manor. If that is the only place you’d feel comfortable. I wish an easy journey for the both us, madam.”
Old 12-06-2018, 10:52 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart
HeartHeart recoiled slightly as he managed to hit somebody with the door he had magically flung open. "My apologies." He responded in a civil manner. Gone was the lunatic from moments before. Stepping to the side he allowed the man to pass, and was about to step out when the man spoke up again. Offering to buy a drink for the Tiefling and sort out the racism. Heart offered the man a bow. "That is kind of you, but I'd rather go somewhere I'm welcome." With that, Heart finally stepped out of the bar and into the street once again.

He barely made notice of us some noblewoman pitching some sort of fit. For all her talk about noblewomen needing to be put together at all times, she certainly wasn't doing a good job of it. Something about this noblewoman reminded him of the Red Queen and her penchant for tantrums. It spurred him on his task to finding a group to help him take back the castle. But first he needed find a tavern without a racist owner. Heart hardly got any further when he heard someone stepping out of the tavern behind him. Turning his head, he could see one of the patrons who had been inside. Just what he needed.

Icy blue eyes locked onto the Half-Elven man, right hand trailing to the hilt of his sword as he did. "I suggest you step back inside. This is one fight that you don't want to pick." Heart had no idea what the man's intentions were, all he saw was another racist who wanted to beat the tar out of him. It was the only reason Heart could think of for the man following him like this. But if the man attacked him, it was he who would be blamed for whatever happened, judging from how the people of Camelot had treated him so far.
Old 12-07-2018, 03:30 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64
Bertilak spread his hands, keeping his face composed. He found it difficult with the trapper arguing with the barkeep, and the angry noble woman arguing with...wait, is that Ywain? On the same day that Chuillin came seeking me out? What is this chaos, come to Camelot today?

"Peace sir, I did not follow you to seek a fight. I was of mixed mind when you gave the barkeep a tongue lashing. He had one coming for the way he treated you, but your...demeanor had me concerned that if you ran into someone similar you might be tempted into drawing steel." His eyes went to the other's hand on the hilt, then back up to Heart's face.

"I probably could have broached the subject more tactfully, but I'm not a diplomat by training or nature. What I am is a lifelong Camelot resident of a noble house, and I am both embarrassed by the treatment you received in there, as well as concerned about keeping the king's peace. I am Bertilak, son of Lord Ashdown and Lady Ilira. If you would permit it, I wanted to offer to act as a guide during your stay in Camelot. And, for what it is worth," he said, smiling for the first time," I would like to get you a cup of wine to wash the taste of that oaf in there away."
Old 12-07-2018, 12:20 PM
<insert witty title here>

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1261
Watcher Watcher Watcher Watcher Watcher Watcher Watcher Watcher Watcher
The Huntsman
right-aligned image
The huntsman grunted, eyeing the barkeep. Part of him wanted to react, to reach over the bar and pummel the portly man. But reasoning that losing any opportunity to hunt in the town, and thus any gold, for the sake of a reddened ego was not the best choice.

"Your ale tastes like piss, anyway," Alder muttered, as he pulled his knife free and put the bundle of pelts back onto his shoulder. "And you've poor business sense. Coin is coin."

Alder walked out of the tavern, shaking his head. He paused, glancing down both directions of the street, before noting the tiefling who now spoke to another individual, though surprisingly the conversation didn't seem heated. Not far away, a lady was making a stand, though her voice was lowered enough that the huntsman couldn't hear many of the words she spoke.

The tall man walked over to the tiefling and his half-elf conversation partner, eyebrow raised.

"Everything alright, gentlemen?" The huntsman asked, butting into the conversation. He had been in the wilds for a while, social manners were slow returning. "You seem civil enough... so that's good. I couldn't help but overhear a drink was offered? Mind if I join you gents? I wouldn't be able to down a drop from that bastard's tavern now anyway."

Alder waited, glancing from one to the other. If he had interrupted a private conversation he showed little realization, but the tall man's manner was friendly enough, as he offered a faint smile through his thick beard...
Old 12-07-2018, 03:31 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Druzilla Javotte
right-aligned image

Deep breath. Not only did it calm me down but it always seemed to have a similar effect on young men.

"Thank you. I apologize if this proves a discomfort but our lady's mission is the priority."

Old 12-07-2018, 05:30 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
For Druzilla"Indeed. Nothing more important than the raven queen, is there?"The pair started making their way north of Camelot, where Ywain's manor stood. It was silent for most of the way there.

It was well past midnight when they arrived at Ywain's manor. It was well away from any sort of civilisation. Servants flocked about, quickly making a bed for Druzilla and providing her with clean clothes. Ywain went off to bed as soon as he entered, not bothering to change out of his armour. Why wear your nightwear when you can wear your knight-wear?
Old 12-08-2018, 01:47 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
HeartHeart's hand didn't leave the hilt of his blade as the stranger spoke. He didn't trust the Half-Elf, and his words didn't help. If he was a human stranger, people wouldn't be so suspicious, but the racism here ran rampant. He hadn't been joking when the Tiefling had said he was going to make sure all of Wonderland knew that Camelot was not a safe place to go. Most of the population of Wonderland was made up of Tieflings and Fey. If the people here were unaccepting of Tieflings, Heart couldn't imagine how they would treat the Fey. The poor Hatter would be killed on sight. The Tiefling was still tensed as the man introduced himself as Bertilak, some noble who wanted to keep an eye on the Hellspawn who was clearly here to cause trouble. The offer to be his guide was clearly so that this Bertilak could kill him at the first sign of trouble.

Heart took a nervous step back as the kind man from before interrupted their conversation. The Tiefling suddenly felt cornered and his skin crawled with anxiety. Though the smile was still plastered on his lips, his eyes made his nervousness clear. Before he couldn't even get kindness from a business owner, how all of a sudden there were two people wanting to drink with him. "I am Heart, the card suit not the organ. If you can find a tavern that will serve me, I will drink with you both." Heart said finally, though his tone and the hand that hadn't left his blade made it clear that he was still wary.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:00 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Bertilak was surprised when Heart indicated he was comfortable with the trapper's presence; it didn't seem the reaction of a petulant noble's brat. That and the smile that contradicted the eyes made him wonder if the tiefling's attitude problem had more to do with being unstable then being prideful.

Father would tell me I was a fool to involve myself in the affairs of strangers. But this stranger feels like he is involved in my affairs, or Camelots. And the trapper too? He snorted in annoyance with himself. As well see a connection with that angry woman in the coach! But I need to see this through. Maybe there is something I need to learn here.

"Thank you, Heart." Lord Heart? Sir Heart? Or is it just a nickname? He gave the tiefling a shallow bow, then gave one to the trapper. "You are welcome, Master woodsman. Please, walk with us." And maybe your presence will help calm Heart. "As for finding someplace that will serve you, I confess it never occurred to me any tiefling would encounter this kind of trouble when they hadn't started any. Tieflings are rare in Camelot though, so I've never seen what one might go through. I offer that as an explanation, not an excuse." Bertilak looked around, and noted a tavern down the street, Bricriu's Feast. "Lets try our luck over there. If you encounter rudeness there as well, I'll have to face an ugly truth about my neighbors."