Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > World of Darkness > The Illumined
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Jul 4th, 2018, 09:11 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1258
ProjectMoon ProjectMoon ProjectMoon ProjectMoon ProjectMoon ProjectMoon ProjectMoon ProjectMoon ProjectMoon
When you get 5 Beats, it becomes an Experience. So you have 3 Experiences and 2 Arcane Experiences. As you can mix regular and arcane Experiences to buy Gnosis, you thus have the total 5 Experiences required.
Old Jul 5th, 2018, 01:02 AM
Just an addicted gamer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5152
Xildur Xildur Xildur Xildur Xildur Xildur Xildur Xildur Xildur Xildur Xildur
Great. How long that Hades could raise his Gnosis?
Could he raise instantly (given how slow our game is).

Last edited by Xildur; Jul 5th, 2018 at 01:02 AM.
Old Jul 5th, 2018, 05:39 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
ProjectMoon ProjectMoon ProjectMoon ProjectMoon ProjectMoon ProjectMoon ProjectMoon ProjectMoon ProjectMoon
When you have the XP, you can generally buy it immediately. An exception to this would be requiring your character to seek out a teacher (e.g. non Ruling arcana) or something you haven't been actively practicing in your downtime. In those cases, you will need to indicate at some point or another you're actively working towards spending that XP. Spending XP and learning new arcana, merits, or gnosis is the abstract way of mastering what you've practiced, or having a flash of enlightenment.

Gnosis in particular represents new, deep insights into Supernal truth and a radical shaking of the foundations of your worldview. It is the textbook example of "sudden change" (i.e. spending XP). The book encourages you to do things like changing your virtue and vice when getting a dot of Gnosis, for example. What gaining a dot of Gnosis ultimately does to or means for your character is ultimately up to you.
Old Jul 5th, 2018, 11:39 PM
Just an addicted gamer

Tools
User Statistics
I think it would affect his Obsession : He would want to make a Ghost follower. This would reflect his Virtue and Vice while also playing to his power.

Hades also would like to broaden his area of discipline by adding a new sphere.

Last edited by Xildur; Jul 5th, 2018 at 11:40 PM.
Old Jul 6th, 2018, 04:41 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Sounds like you've come up with a perfect Wisdom violating perfectly justified and necessary thing! Obsessions are perfect for that. It is fairly easy to gain a ghost follower, although there are several avenues to get there. You could take dots in the Familiar merit (or cast the spell) to get a friendly ghost, or at least one aligned with your interests. You could also get Death 5 and create one out of nothing. Or you could kill someone and enslave their ghost. So many possibilities

Last edited by ProjectMoon; Jul 6th, 2018 at 04:41 AM.
Old Jul 6th, 2018, 10:04 AM
Just an addicted gamer

Tools
User Statistics
Oh, I also read that raising Gnosis means my character gets an extra Praxis.
I will take Purge Illness as Praxis then, since it suitable to the story.
Old Jul 6th, 2018, 12:21 PM
Peace was never an option
Good People  

Event Judge  

Hall of Fame DM 2017

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 35380
Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner
ProjectMoon can you move Dodger back into the 'Active' player status in the thread?

Also I will be on a road trip next week so posting might be slow.
Old Jul 6th, 2018, 12:39 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 324
g047br41n g047br41n g047br41n g047br41n
Quick question. Is it possible to bring a familiar to the oneiros?
Old Jul 7th, 2018, 06:00 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
If you try hard enough and have the right spells, yes. Only mages can naturally meditate into the Astral, and goetia exist there naturally unless dragged into the material world. The primary way of getting a familiar into the Astral would be some kind of Mind or Space Patterning spell, probably.
Old Jul 7th, 2018, 06:23 AM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 324
g047br41n g047br41n g047br41n g047br41n
Hmmm, I don't have either right now but good to know. Thanks.
Old Jul 9th, 2018, 02:46 AM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9594
Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon
Sorry - my laptop died, I'm behind on my games.
Old Jul 20th, 2018, 11:26 AM
Good People  

Event Judge  

Hall of Fame DM 2017

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectMoon View Post
[*]Things get more interesting if you have Time magic. You might be able to get away with Temporal Summoning, or using Temporal Sympathy in a Combined spell with Mind magic. Not sure if your Gnosis and Arcana dots are high enough for this though.[/list][/fieldset]
I'm still learning this system a bit so help me out. Dodger has 2 Time Arcana so I think he can use Temporal Sympathy and he also has 2 Mind Arcana so he should be able to pull this off. Would it just be a Telepathy spell or is there something else he would need to do?
Old Jul 20th, 2018, 05:39 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avner View Post
I'm still learning this system a bit so help me out. Dodger has 2 Time Arcana so I think he can use Temporal Sympathy and he also has 2 Mind Arcana so he should be able to pull this off. Would it just be a Telepathy spell or is there something else he would need to do?
Temporal Sympathy was errataed to only work on Combined spells, or with spells that explicitly allow it. It's because of the potential for confusion and abuse with Temporal Sympathy. Originally, temporal sympathy could be added to any spell sort of like regular sympathetic casting, and things would get very murky very quickly.

By the rules as they are written currently, you need higher Gnosis to start Combining spells, which pushes the powerful Time stuff back a bit. Under the pre-errata 2e rules, you could apply Temporal Sympathy (Time 2) to Telepathy (Mind 2) and read thoughts in the past, depending on what the Storyteller would allow. Under the new rules, you'd probably need Time 3 to Weave the past into the present and Gnosis 3 to combine it with Telepathy instead.

The errata was basically just a nerf to the power of Time magic. Note that you need Gnosis 3 to start combining spells.

What you could do with your Time 2 (and presumably not Gnosis 3) is use Postcognition to look into Annwn's past, although I don't know how much information that would net you.

Keep in mind you could always combine efforts. If someone has Time 3, that person could summon a past version of Annwn to the present, and then another mage could use Mind magic on him.
Old Jul 20th, 2018, 09:03 PM
Good People  

Event Judge  

Hall of Fame DM 2017

Tools
User Statistics
Ahh yeah I was looking at the 2e book and not the errata and Inonly have Gnosis 2. I did notice the Postcog stuff but I didnt think it would be super helpful.

I could use my Mind to win over the relatives if you guys want Dodger to hit them up.
Old Aug 9th, 2018, 07:45 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
You are now in the Oneiros. Rules for the Astral Realms apply. Some clarification on the way I interpret the astral rules (they're a bit vague): there are no bashing, lethal, or aggravated wounds in dream form. You have your dream health, which just takes damage. If you take too much damage, you get kicked back to the material world with the soul-shocked condition. This is both good and bad. You can't take as many hits (although your actual health number is probably higher in the astral), but you also can't really die.

Also, since people are taking the Steadfast condition, it's time to add another house rule that I eventually had to add in my real-life mage game: Steadfast cannot be used on Wisdom rolls.