Old Jan 15th, 2023, 04:36 PM
Lone Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8858
Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot
Derek Draven
right-aligned image

Derek was impressed, and a little intimidated by Baxan’s thorough explanation of his proposed course of action. The dragon born had seemingly put a lot of thought into it. Perhaps he’d even overthought the matter. Truly Derek had no real investment in who they approached first, so he had no objection to seeing the herbalist, but it seemed that the others wished to see the mahout.

“No need for apology. I hope you continue to be as thoughtful with the rest of our mission.”

Stat BlockAC:12 HP:10/10 STR:7 DEX:14 CON:11 INT:16 WILL:14 CHA:16
Passive Perception:17
Spells Prepared/Spell Slots:1st 3/3, mage armor, charm person, false life, magic missile, sleep
Character Sheet
Old Jan 15th, 2023, 08:46 PM
The King of Ducks

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3426
BarrowB BarrowB BarrowB BarrowB BarrowB BarrowB BarrowB BarrowB BarrowB BarrowB BarrowB
Aurora the Cursed Bride
right-aligned image
Aurora left Rolen without saying goodbye or even giving him a nod. She had no reason to be on his side. She only had reason to not be his enemy.

The bride politely refused tavernkeeper's offer to drink but asked if there were any cranberries, grapes or even just salad or bread. Last time she made others eat random leaves from a potted plant. While it didn't mean too much in the dream world, the taste and consequences of reality could be different. After hearing what was available, Aurora took whatever felt the best at the moment.

"It makes me no difference where we go first. The herbalist is probably closer... and we probably will be looking for the plant outside of the city... but I think that we are in no rush right now."

Actions Move:
Action:
Bonus Action:
Reaction:
Conditions:
Notes/Rolls:
Character Sheet

Old Jan 16th, 2023, 01:11 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 24800
Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin
Oguun
right-aligned image
Oguun watched Rolen closely for signs of possession or subornment such as Almavalesh had shown; gaps in his knowledge, sudden lacunae in his memory, backtracking in his reasoning, any of those would have been cause for suspicion, but he found none. He remained unconvinced that Rolen was not a tool of the entity in some way, but he was at least convinced that Rolen sincerely felt he was not a knowing tool or a direct puppet. Any influence on him must be more subtle. If anyone Oguun knew of who was connected to the wizard intended their deaths, it was more likely Mayuri or whatever occupied her husband. He attempted a customary farewell. "Another day, yes. Expect to see us again, Rolen."

The fey owl, much more nervous of Aurora than Rolen, caught sight of a spider. For all TAFF knew, the entire material plane was infested with large arachnids. Ceiling-dwelling owl-sized arachnids that should be looked out for by wise owls that didn't want to end up in webs. TAFF's head rotated a half-turn left, then right, then up. There were no other spiders in sight.

Back in the taproom, there was some discussion of mahouts, herbalists, and drinks. Oguun found no grounds for preference on any of those topics as he had no idea where either the mahout or the herbalist might be and all the beverages tasted the same to him. "It is equal as long as we interrogate them both. Whichever is closer first." He prepared to learn more of West Haven's relatively inefficient layout.

Old Jan 19th, 2023, 05:43 PM
It's clobberin' time

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18232
Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19
Lt. Baxan Arthic
left-aligned image
Credit to Caio Santos, https://www.artstation.com/artwork/wnLOw

Over drinks, the dragonborn raised his hands a few inches in a sign of surrender. "It's nothing, I was merely stating a preference. I am ready to depart when you are all finished," he said quietly to the rest of the group. He had politely declined anything from the tavernkeeper. His mind was focused on the task at hand, which appeared to be their little band traveling to find the mahout directly. I am merely security; knowledge of plants and how best to transport them is outside my skillset. I suppose we shall discover what sort of environs the plant grows in soon enough. Worst case scenario, one of the others can stick the damned thing into their waterskin to keep it from withering.

"Let us depart, then, and go see one of these 'elephants' for ourselves."

Posting status: Around.
Old Jan 20th, 2023, 04:52 PM
she/her

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19914
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege
The Elephant Enclave
left-aligned image

In the time that Aurora managed to acquire herself both grapes and a lavishly assorted salad that hinted at someone having put in a good word with the cook residing in the kitchen beyond the common room, the party of adventurers settled at a table once more for but a brief moment of respite and to determine their next course of action. Having accepted all terms put in front of them, they had now fully committed to the quest which Mayuri had hired them for. And after learning of the hefty gold reward which Rolen had offered for its completion and Phil suggesting he was good folk, the group was content to finally be out of the shifty elf's crosshairs. Each adventurer held their own opinions about the slightly awkward meeting, but the party had not come together for long and thus they mostly preferred to keep these thoughts to themselves as they kept their focus on the work ahead instead. Thus, there was a brief discussion about whether they should immediately pursue Rolen's lead or if they should first rectify the moon elf's lack of herbal knowledge by meeting the man whom Mayuri had bought the root from. It was a brief, polite discourse.

In the end, the enthusiasm of Namfoodle and Punxl won out as their love for animals drove them to seek out the elephants first and foremost. And although the herbalist had his shop at a central location by the Westhaven market, which put him closer to the On Your Shield than the elephant enclave, the party realized that based on their current information they were in no rush to leave the town's walls behind and it was still early enough in the morning that there was no concern that they couldn't meet the herbalist at a later time. On that shared understanding, the party finally headed out to find a mysterious mahout to learn whether his even more mysterious tale would lead them to succeed in their quest to further the hobby of a no less mysterious noblewoman. It looked to become a rather exciting few days ahead, even though much of it was still in the clouds.

It took a good walk through the streets of Westhaven during which the adventurers had a little more time to familiarize themselves with each other, considering that for the most part they had only discussed each other's combat readiness so far. There was still a bit of tension in the air as not all adventurers could see eye to eye about the value of critters and how morally questionable hunting them for fun and reserving divine healing for humanoids was, but in the end the party managed to bridge the distance without becoming too divided after they had just about reached the two-hour mark into the job. It took only the most rudimentary knowledge about Westhaven's layout to know that the elephant enclave was located to the north of the town right at its edge within the walls, and so the adventurers were headed there in anticipation of what could await them, especially now that they had business which gave them a reason to experience the humongous animals from up close.

Eventually, the party reached the north of the town, slightly westward and still a good distance away from Westhaven's harbor. Westhaven had always been erected with the utilitarian concern to create a bastion for all of the intelligent life that migrated across the sea to brave the dangers of the West Marches, so it wasn't exactly known for its spaciousness or featuring any great recreational areas like parks. However, when the buildings gave way and the street split to the left and right, the group of adventurers found themselves faced with a larger forested area that clearly had been left mostly untouched despite Westhaven's ever-growing need for more living space. Directly ahead of the party was a sort of deserted plaza which had been laid out with stones but clearly wasn't part of the street. There was a row of roofed canopies leading past the plaza, down a slope, and then quickly deteriorated into a dirt path that led between the trees. Behind that were only a few huts and wooden constructions barely visible behind the trees from the party's current location, as well as Westhaven's wall looming at the other side of the enclave and marking the edge where the town had stopped expanding on its northern end.

Having arrived at this mostly empty plaza, the party of adventurers took a moment to orient themselves. The fact that all of Westhaven's morning traffic didn't extend into this space and that there were no sort of mahouts or other workers walking about the plaza suggested that the adventurers would have to walk further into the enclave grounds before they would find anyone affiliated to the enclave to talk to and who could give them directions. However, even at a cursory glance there were still a few sources of information to be gleaned from here. The more aware party members could make out some movements deeper into the campgrounds which suggested that there was already some activity underway around this time. So simply pressing forward was going to have them come about some personnel soon.

Before they could do so though, even though the adventurers hadn't occupied the edge of the plaza for long, Derek observantly noticed that their small group had already drawn eyes. At one of the ground-level windows that faced the cobbled street which they were just about to leave behind by entering the enclave, there was an evidently elderly woman that was intently looking over at the young necromancer's party, almost glaring in their direction as if she had something to say to them. Even those who hadn't initially noticed that the local neighborhood hawk had taken notice of them, when they saw Derek looking back in the direction where they had come from, they could also see the old human woman meeting their gazes unintimidated. Without anybody present forcing them to talk to her though, their gazes fell back to the plaza before them, and although there wasn't any concrete site map giving them directions on how to proceed from this entrance, there was a singular wooden sign hanging from one of the pillared canopies. It had some letters haphazardly drawn across it, but at their current distance, the adventurers couldn't read it.

Last edited by Mindsiege; Jan 25th, 2023 at 07:59 PM.
Old Jan 22nd, 2023, 05:04 PM
It's clobberin' time

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18232
Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19
Lt. Baxan Arthic
left-aligned image
Credit to Caio Santos, https://www.artstation.com/artwork/wnLOw

Baxan shifted his pack, adjusted the sheathed longsword at his hip, and then reached for the waterskin at his side. Standing there just off the side of the road, he uncorked the well-traveled leather container and drank deeply. It was important to stay well hydrated during a march, and though he had still remained physically active during his unemployment, he had not needed to travel as far as the city's edge in quite some time. He was not panting out of breath like an overweight layabout, but compared to his typical level of physical fitness, he may as well have been one. Never again, he vowed to himself. Even if I can't find a job offer for a year, there's no reason why my conditioning must suffer as much as my savings.
He capped the skin shut, spread his arms wide open behind him to open up his chest and expand his lungs, and took several deep breaths. The walk had not been the only thing which had been tiring, he thought as he assessed the five other mercenaries and their colorful menagerie of companions. He had largely kept his thoughts to himself on the walk through the city streets. There didn't seem much point to saying anything further about the job at hand; with so few details regarding the plant in question or those associated with it, any discussion would have been pure speculation - and speculation without facts was a waste of energy. The only other topics of conversation were those of a personal nature, and Baxan had the feeling that he had made the others uncomfortable or upset with his earlier attitudes. I cannot help my blunt nature. I suppose it is a product of my upbringing in the service, and even though I have been a civilian for some time now, those edges are still there.

He had given Namfoodle a good deal of space, in recognition of how much his conservative healing philosophy might have made the smaller man upset. It was hard sometimes to hear the word no, but triage was just as difficult. A doctor comes upon two dying men in the road, but has only the material to save one. Who does he save? What if one was a sinner and the other a saint? Or one was a gifted artist and the other a common man? Deciding how to use limited resources is one of the hard parts of growing older and living in a society, and when those decisions have life-or-death consequences, the burden of the decision is all the heavier. Yet Baxan was trying to remain sympathetic to Namfoodle's distress. I'm sure if I had a loyal dog at my side and no healing abilities, I'd be just as upset if he were dying and someone else refused to help. His personal relationship with the gnome may have been permanently tarnished from the get-go, but Baxan had meant what he said about keeping them - mercenaries and companions both - safe. The question which now remained was, how much regarding the wickerbeast was "rooted" in fact, and how much was the product of someone's vivid imagination? Some element of danger had to exist, otherwise the Lady Mayuri had contracted to pay a king's ransom for six mercenaries to basically go explore a garden for a few hours - hardly a situation which required brute force. Maybe the plant has really strong roots which only a warrior can vanquish? The notion made the otherwise stoic soldier snort laughter, but he quickly caught hold of himself. His relationship with the others was not one where he felt he could yet be open with things like his sense of humor. Maybe after a few hours, or quite possibly never. Like a bad seed planted in the springtime, not every relationship bloomed into friendship. Baxan was no pessimist, and he would never write off a possible friendship from the get-go over a few moments or a brief misunderstanding - but nor would he compromise his own beliefs and ideals willy-nilly. That was a good way to lose oneself.

"It appears as though we have reached our destination," Baxan said neutrally. "I do not see anyone resembling our dark-skinned mahout - but perhaps I can ask the friendly looking lady who is eyeing us from yonder window," he said to the rest of the party. He marched forward to the building, conscious of the woman’s eyes upon him and trying not to return the stare. The last thing he wanted to do was to frighten the old woman, and so he proceeded forward like a new neighbor going to introduce himself around town.

He was about to knock on the door to the building, when he noticed that the window he was being watched from was open. Making a quarter turn, he looked at the old woman with a casual smile. "Hello in there!" he called out. "Apologies for disturbing you, but my friends and I had a few questions, if you do not mind. We will try our best to not take any more of your time than is necessary."

Posting status: Around.

Last edited by Noquarter19; Jan 23rd, 2023 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Window was open
Old Jan 22nd, 2023, 07:35 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16969
secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID
Punxl Tawney, Human Celestial WarlockSheet | AC: 15 | HP: 24/24 | Status: Normal
Healing Light 4/4d6 | Healer Feat | 2/2 Spells | Agonizing Blast | Misty Visions

left-aligned image
right-aligned image

Phil spent the walk to the elephant compound chatting amicably with those who had both the interest and the means to do so. Namfoodle seemed the best candidate, but each party member had already proven to be at least minimally sociable, and a likely better conversationalist than the spirit's usual company. Phil also took the time to ask, directly but respectfully, what Rolen had said privately, and to report his own appraisal of the man.

Outside the compound, like the others Phil caught the old woman’s glare, and he grimaced to his companions as commentary. He frowned in mild surprise when Baxan approached her. Uninterested in that minor side story, Phil flew over to the sign for a better look, but while he did, his charge Punxl followed the dragonborn. She had evidently taken an interest in the impressive former soldier, though it was unclear whether her fascination was anything more than childish.

Old Jan 22nd, 2023, 08:19 PM
she/her

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19914
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege
Welcoming Plaque
Buffoons, keep out!!

No gawking! NO feeding, bothering, or pursuing the elephants!
You will get trampled!

Adventurers looking to buy services or animals, behave!!
Anybody who creates more work for me us WILL get thrown out!!!

Last edited by Mindsiege; Jan 22nd, 2023 at 08:21 PM.
Old Jan 22nd, 2023, 09:23 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID
Punxl Tawney, Human Celestial WarlockSheet | AC: 15 | HP: 24/24 | Status: Normal
Healing Light 4/4d6 | Healer Feat | 2/2 Spells | Agonizing Blast | Misty Visions

left-aligned image
right-aligned image

Phil flitted back to the main party to report the troubling contents of the sign. He looked over at Punxl, his hand pressed on the top of his head as if to keep the pressure of his concerns from breaching that structure. “I mean…I can probably keep her from touching them,” he hoped, “but gawking? That’s, like, one of Punxl’s two default expressions. I had no idea elephants were so irritable!

“Maybe a hood,”
Phil supposed. “On her, I mean. Or, well, some of us could talk to the herbalist while others see the mahout. Why didn’t we think of that before?”

Old Jan 22nd, 2023, 09:38 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 24800
Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin
Oguun
right-aligned image
Walking under the open sky was no longer as unnerving as it once had been, nor was the apparent disorder of everyday life in Westhaven. Oguun determined he was slowly transitioning from a necessarily exploratory phase of learning the basics of material-plane custom to a more sophisticated state of opinion formation. Thus far, most of his opinions were negative and didn't make for sparkling discourse, so he refrained from conversing except when needed. Phil's inquiry as to the exchange with Rolen seemed astute though, and on the chance that Rolen had cause for his concerns, Oguun waited until passing pedestrians were out of earshot before replying. "Rolen agrees that Mayuri's mate's predicament poses continuing danger to Aurora, Derek, myself, and him. However, he sees no benefit in further public discussion of it at this time and suggests that such may worsen matters. I believe that he is sincere in his beliefs, but I have no grounds to determine whether or not his beliefs are correct."

On arriving at the plaza, he reserved opinion. The location seemed much unused and therefore possibly inefficient or undesirable. Unless elephants as described were considerably more deceitful than Aurora had implied, none were present. Baxan approached the only inhabitant in sight, who appeared unthreatening although her purpose there was otherwise unclear, and began negotiations. Oguun read the sign. The attempt to exclude buffoons was admirable but probably futile; one of the signature traits of the error-prone was that they were unaware of their condition. Phil again expressed concern, and Oguun shrugged. "I do not have a hood or a sack. I brought rope, if that helps. If she is ejected, we can just collect her later."

Old Jan 24th, 2023, 08:19 AM
The King of Ducks

Tools
User Statistics
BarrowB BarrowB BarrowB BarrowB BarrowB BarrowB BarrowB BarrowB BarrowB BarrowB BarrowB
Aurora the Cursed Bride
right-aligned image
When Aurora received the salad... she was quite dumbfounded... but thanked for it and decided to quickly eat it. She hated plants but eating them was basically killing them, so she slightly smiled. There clearly was some I forgot that English language has separate words for "salad" and "lettuce", my bad XDmiscommunication but the grapes were good enough for her intentions.

During the long walk, Aurora didn't start any conversation, as there was really not much to talk about. Sure, she could try to get to know the others better but in their line of work it was not very likely that they would work together again. There was even a chance that some of them might not end that day alive. If one makes no bonds with others, there will be no reason to grief their deaths... but also no one would care about her troubles... Why relationships had to be so complicated? At least she knew that 'being useful' was a good enough reason for some of the others to keep her safe...

Most of the way, the cursed bride stayed quiet with her thoughts but then began quietly singing some catchy songs, to distract her mind. "So much sun in this small city, you have never seen something so pretty...~" Eventually, she sang one that Oguun and Derek could know quite well.

"If you want the outsider dead,
there is a recipe ahead.
Get a few drops of angel's blood,
we will boil it in some small pot.

Dust some hard coal and fresh roots,
add the dirt from soles of your boots
Mix it all with the morning's dew,
one hour and you will have stew.

Then cover your weapon thickly
and strike down the devil quickly!
It does not matter where you aim,
a single scratch will be its bane."

As the group was getting close to the destination, Aurora decided to give others a warning. "I've heard that elephants never forget, so better avoid angering any of them. Though, if you know how to speak with animals... they might know something..."

When Phil and Oguun discussed keeping Punxl from angering the big animals, Aurora chimed in. "I do have a sack and a set of manacles, if you don't mind your little princess kidnapped." She chuckled and pulled out a clean but sturdy sack. The bride meant it mostly as a joke... but it was an option.

"Ah, there is also one more thing before we proceed." Aurora pulled out the small bundle of red grapes and gathered some of the strange dust from earlier in her palm. She gently brushed the berries with her hand and Cast Goodberrysuddenly they appeared more ripe and juicy. "It's a simple trick. They are not powerful enough to bring someone from the dead but they have enough magic to close a recent wound. I want each of you to have one. All of you should have it in an easy to reach spot. If any of us will be bleeding out on the ground, shove one of them down their throat." The bride grabbed a small handful for herself and gave the rest to others to pass around.

Actions Move:
Action: Cast Goodberry. Aurora takes 4 berries for herself and gives other 6 to the other PCs + Phil (1 each).
Bonus Action:
Reaction:
Conditions:
Notes/Rolls:
Character Sheet

Last edited by BarrowB; Jan 24th, 2023 at 09:45 AM.
Old Jan 25th, 2023, 10:45 AM
Inspiration inside ®

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11485
LeDragon LeDragon LeDragon LeDragon LeDragon LeDragon LeDragon LeDragon LeDragon LeDragon LeDragon
Namfoodle Glitterstone
left-aligned image

Namfoodle had run determinedly after the others, as fast as he could with his short legs. Peter ran right behind him, but no one could outrun the badger anyway - at least as long as food was involved.

Now they are all standing in the yard and Namfoodle is almost dislocating his neck to spot the elephants somewhere. To his disappointment, there is no elephant to be seen far and wide. Not even a small one. Just a warning sign and an old woman. But there are plenty of old women in Westhaven.

"We'll just blindfold Punxl, then she won't be able to see and .... well, we'll blindfold one eye, then she'll be able to see something, won't fall over anything, won't scare the elephants and won't look .... maybe a little... is tolerably strange looking."
He nods encouragingly at Phil. Not that anyone would get the idea that he, Namfoodle, should babysit the strange woman.

Instead, he squints at the entrance to the elephants.
Dice Perception check:
d20+2 (7)+2 Total = 9
(9)
"Oh, thanks." he replies politely when Aurora hands him over the berry. Is she trying to be nice or kill us all at once?

Namfoodle Glitterstone wizard level 2Link to the character sheet.

Last edited by LeDragon; Jan 25th, 2023 at 03:28 PM.
Old Jan 25th, 2023, 01:40 PM
Lone Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8858
Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot
Derek Draven
right-aligned image

Derek said little during the trip to the elephant pens. He was never very good in social situations and he still wasn’t sure what to make of his new companions. When they arrive at their destination, he notices the woman glaring at him and breaks eye contact, feeling very uncomfortable but due to his aversion to confrontation, he doesn’t say anything to her about it. thankfully it turns out he doesn’t have to as Baxan speaks to the woman. Rather than walk around aimlessly, he sends Nephala to search for the man they are after.

OOC
Dice Neppala perception to find a man fitting the description we are looking for:
d20+3 (13)+3 Total = 16

Stat BlockAC:12 HP:10/10 STR:7 DEX:14 CON:11 INT:16 WILL:14 CHA:16
Passive Perception:17
Spells Prepared/Spell Slots:1st 3/3, mage armor, charm person, false life, magic missile, sleep
Character Sheet
Old Jan 25th, 2023, 02:56 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics

left-aligned image
right-aligned image

Phil's face twisted in consideration of the offered solutions. "I was a little more concerned about the 'trampled' part," he said. "I'll just keep tight on her. She listens." He looked back over to where she stood beside Lt. Arthic. "Usually," he qualified.

"That does remind me, though," Phil continued. "Don't be surprised if I disappear for a while." And then he did just that. "Sometimes it's just better to draw less attention," he explained, suddenly reappearing near Aurora. "Thanks!" he said to her, landing on her forearm and crouching to take first one berry. Then, before taking a second, he announced, "Receiving this berry on behalf of Punxl Tawney is Phillip, her agent and manager."

Phil lingered there, leaning on Aurora's hand, for an extra moment, taking the opportunity to get a read on her.

OOCAs discussed in PMs with Mindsiege and BarrowB, Phil is performing Heart Sight. Aurora made her save, so no alignment reading. We're doing a skills contest for him to avoid her notice.
Dice Sleight of Hand:
1d20+4 (4)+4 Total = 8

Last edited by secretID; Jan 25th, 2023 at 02:56 PM.
Old Jan 25th, 2023, 03:45 PM
The King of Ducks

Tools
User Statistics
Aurora the Cursed Bride
right-aligned image
When Phil landed on Aurora's forearm, she gave him a death-wishing glare. The bride clearly disliked the fey casually using her like a tree-branch... but didn't act or comment.

The sprite lingered quite long on her hand, causing some suspicion. What was he trying to achieve? What was his kind capable of...? Of course... "It's quite blunt to use your magic on someone, who can crush you by just closing their hand." Even though she noticed, she allowed him to read her a bit but focused her mind to not give him too much. After a few seconds, she shook her arm, to toss Phil away. "Looks like all fey are greedy tricksters..."

Actions Move:
Action:
Bonus Action:
Reaction:
Conditions:
Notes/Rolls: Insight against Punxl's Sleight of Hand: 6
Character Sheet

Last edited by BarrowB; Jan 25th, 2023 at 03:59 PM.