Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Cypher > Insatiable Horizon
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 01-13-2016, 05:11 PM
Downers 4th Regiment CO

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6065
sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart
I see. That makes sense. A pity!
I saw this earlier but didn't know what to respond with.

I hope the best for everyone, and hopefully this game will start up again some other time, even if in another incarnation!
Old 01-13-2016, 06:37 PM
Ancient Azure Anathema

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22739
Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis
Quote:
Originally Posted by sageheart View Post
I hope the best for everyone, and hopefully this game will start up again some other time, even if in another incarnation!
I can't promise it will, but neither can I say with any certainty that it won't. The idea of this game is still as inspiring to me as it always was, but part of how that idea worked was always heavily dependent on being able to make mid-term and long-term plans in which the characters individually featured. That's a core aspect of my planning - I genuinely don't know how to do this game concept with a rotating cast of interchangeable characters.

In a way, I thought of this game with a "cast" - more like the way characters are treated in a television series than like a traditional RPG. I need to be able to rely on there being a "core cast" for whole story arcs, and at the end of arcs, then people depart and enter. That whole manner of consideration doesn't quite match play by post gaming, obviously. It was a known risk from the beginning, and one I still don't know how to mitigate.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:20 PM
Still Cuddly, Still Fuzzy

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14117
kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth
Cast the role, not the character. You have the alpha, the heel, the caregiver... When people leave you just shuffle the "job" to another character and add a new player in a supporting role.

It's like pro wrestling. (Full disclosure, I don't watch it, but the concept still works.) Wrestlers go from hero to heel at the drop of a hat, depending on their popularity. The Rock started out as a babyface, did a turn as the heel, but then got popular so they made him a face (good guy).

A good player should be able to move into any of these roles with a little set up and cooperation from other players. For instance, you need a new spoiler in the party. Well anybody can be pushed past their limit and give up on trying to be nice. Having your heel take a redemption arc can be very rewarding too.

I don't know if this helps at all or if I'm just wasting compute cycles, but there it is.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:03 PM
Ancient Azure Anathema

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22739
Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
Cast the role, not the character. You have the alpha, the heel, the caregiver... When people leave you just shuffle the "job" to another character and add a new player in a supporting role.

It's like pro wrestling. (Full disclosure, I don't watch it, but the concept still works.) Wrestlers go from hero to heel at the drop of a hat, depending on their popularity. The Rock started out as a babyface, did a turn as the heel, but then got popular so they made him a face (good guy).

A good player should be able to move into any of these roles with a little set up and cooperation from other players. For instance, you need a new spoiler in the party. Well anybody can be pushed past their limit and give up on trying to be nice. Having your heel take a redemption arc can be very rewarding too.

I don't know if this helps at all or if I'm just wasting compute cycles, but there it is.
I did some of that, initially. The trouble comes in replacing someone in one of those roles - I practically want to do another application process to see which new "heel" or new "face" character meets my needs the best without providing enough spoiler information to make it obvious what I have planned.

I still have the problem of replacing characters mid-arc, though. If the game has to pause for three weeks of shuffle in the middle of a story arc, it probably dies. Even planning in the long term for archetypes, I have to have more immediate term plans for specific characters.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:06 PM
Still Cuddly, Still Fuzzy

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14117
kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth
You don't pause, you just transition in-character. You don't hire someone new to for the role, you have an in-game character become the role, even if only temporarily. Then you add the new guy in a less critical role. You can eventually transition the replacement into the role over time, if you want.