Game Thread I. The Sultan's Claw - Page 3 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Pathfinder: 1e > Legacy of Fire > Shelved Adventures
twitter facebook facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 04:04 PM
Bismuth's Avatar
Bismuth Bismuth is offline
Very Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 16th, 2022
RPXP: 577
Bismuth Bismuth Bismuth Bismuth Bismuth Bismuth
Posts: 606
The sound of water hissing in the wagon is music to Karsh's ears. The next second he hears a shout "Healer! Where are you? Healer! I need you to look at this!" for a few seconds he stands looking around the smoking campsite, then he realises that the person is shouting at him.

The person shouting is also one of the group he has joined, ... he thinks ...., it is difficult to tell as they are covered in soot and dirt. As he nears him it is obvious that there is something wrong with his wrist.

" Let me look " almost bluntly abrupt with his words Karsh indicates that he should allow him to inspect the wound.
__________________
'Beware the wrath of the quiet man'
Spontaneity has its time and place
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 06:01 PM
Of Line and Flow's Avatar
Of Line and Flow Of Line and Flow is offline
Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Dec 31st, 2016
RPXP: 288
Of Line and Flow Of Line and Flow Of Line and Flow
Posts: 131
"No, no. I'll be fine." Khalid examines his forearm. It's pink and hairless from the sand and rubbing, but it's clean and uninjured. Khalid leads Karsh hastily toward the charred body. "See to him! But, don't get that stuff on you. Whatever it is will melt the skin from your bones."
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 12:54 PM
DarkTower's Avatar
DarkTower DarkTower is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 19th, 2012
RPXP: 1805
DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower
Posts: 1,440
Round 4

1) Put Out the Fire: Karsh
Karsh inspects the wound and sees two ugly burn marks on his wrist. Looking at the man he pulled out he sees two rings on his stubbed right hand. Most likely when Khalid was grabbed the hot metal burned him, but there's no serious damage as a result.

4) Deal with the Frightened Animals: Alphard
Alphard again releases his innate magic and lights dazes two goats and a pig *for the woman to collect and put into the pen. The two goats just stand there as she picks them up that same stubborn shakes off the effects and runs head on to the desert wilderness where's it's unlikely to last more than a day with all the dangerous and hungry predators. The middle-aged man comes back, empty-handed. He approaches the gnome "Thank you-" the woman also finishes his sentence "so very much. If we could repay you with a good meal tonight, we'll be honored."

Alphard caught two goats, promising a modest amount of milk and perhaps meat for the caravan in time to come. The pig, though, escaped.

2) Pull the Wagon Away from the Other Wagons: Il'tehp
As the last of the fire is drenched and smothered away all the mercenaries and Il'tehp stop their pushing, breathing heavily from the exertion.*

- Il'tehp was not able to move the wagon, though the fire is out so there is no longer any danger..

5) Rescue Attempt: Khavhan
Khavhan is looking into the smoke breathing wagon and it's like looking into the maul of a dragon, heat and fire and smoke spewl from doorway. Suddenly there is Khalid pulling a body out and Khavhan helps him pull the corpse the rest of the way.

5) Rescue Attempt: Khalid
Khalid stands over the dead body, covered in ash. He has some severe heat damage but he is otherwise standing and in working condition, unlike the two other mercenaries that were badly burned when they first arrived when they attempted the same thing.


With the fire extinguished, Almah approaches Khalid and Khavhan with the body they pulled from the wagon. The Pactmaster guards are very quick to catch up with her and eye the newcomers suspiciously despite their heroic actions. "Eloais...." she whispers, kneeling down next to the corpse. "May you now rest, my friend." The merchant princess stands and looks around the caravan cooly, observing each and every last person. Other than the newly arrived group there are probably a dozen members among her team.

"I'm going to get to the bottom of this, wether it be an accident or not. I'm going to find out." she gestures to her major-domo. "Garavel, see to it that Eloais is respectfully taken care of and round up the group you chose to my tents. I wish a private audience with them. I want my caravan back and running as quickly as possible. This accident is not going to deter my plans." With that she and her four guards leave.

Garavel, stonefaced, thanks the PCs for all their help.
__________________
~ . ~

Last edited by DarkTower; Feb 3rd, 2011 at 12:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old Feb 4th, 2011, 12:28 AM
Rook's Avatar
Rook Rook is offline
Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 17th, 2023
RPXP: 414
Rook Rook Rook Rook Rook
Posts: 1,132
Il'tehp curses quietly to himself that the fire resulted in someone's death. After the princess and her guards leave, Il'tehp approaches Garavel and offers to assist in placing Eloais to his final rest.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old Feb 4th, 2011, 12:36 AM
DarkTower's Avatar
DarkTower DarkTower is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 19th, 2012
RPXP: 1805
DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower
Posts: 1,440
Garavel hesitates for but a moment. "If you will, I will be thankful" as Il'tehp turns to do his duty the swordsman also says "But do not see this as a debt. You did all you could do, warrior, and his life was already determined by fate when the fire started."

The body is very light and Eloais's dead eyes stare out at the endless blue sky as the fighter carries him away. Il'tehp finds different places where the sand doesn't prevent hole digging until he comes to the foot of the Sultan's Claw. Perhaps using Khalid's shovel, he buries Eloais at the foot of the blackened tree.
__________________
~ . ~
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old Feb 4th, 2011, 07:36 AM
Bismuth's Avatar
Bismuth Bismuth is offline
Very Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 16th, 2022
RPXP: 577
Bismuth Bismuth Bismuth Bismuth Bismuth Bismuth
Posts: 606
Karsh looks around the scene taking it all in. He is particularly looking for anyone with injuries that would need magical healing. There doesn't appear to be any, some people have minor cuts and bruises but he is reluctant to use spells without good cause.
Who knows if a real need for them will arise!
__________________
'Beware the wrath of the quiet man'
Spontaneity has its time and place
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old Feb 4th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Ockerdoodle's Avatar
Ockerdoodle Ockerdoodle is offline
Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 22nd, 2011
RPXP: 327
Ockerdoodle Ockerdoodle Ockerdoodle Ockerdoodle
Posts: 192
Alphard, still shocked by the sudden fire and its outcome sits down and wipes his brow. I'm never chasing after animals again, he thinks to himself as he surveys the meager four creatures he was able to stop from scattering.

He watches as the stranger's corpse is buried, and feels a pang of regret for not being able to help the man. A sudden realization hits Alphard: He will not be the last we see die on this journey. With that, he looks at all those scurrying around, and morbid thoughts creep into his mind of who will be the next to fall.

Shaking his head and trying to clear away these dark thoughts, he looks back at the Sultan's Claw and ponders for a moment. With a quick flick of his wrist and the sounds of inhuman words pouring from his mouth, Alphard closes his eyes and concentrates...

Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 10:37 PM
AlwaysCivilMike's Avatar
AlwaysCivilMike AlwaysCivilMike is offline
And... he's back
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Dec 23rd, 2020
RPXP: 10687
AlwaysCivilMike AlwaysCivilMike AlwaysCivilMike AlwaysCivilMike AlwaysCivilMike AlwaysCivilMike AlwaysCivilMike AlwaysCivilMike AlwaysCivilMike AlwaysCivilMike AlwaysCivilMike
Posts: 7,130
Khav was quite surprised to see Khalid pulling out a body from the fire. He jumped next to the man and starting pulling with him until they a safe distance away. He looked down at the figure and his heart sank. It was obvious that the man was dead though by what means..he was not sure. He patted Khalid on the back and said "Well done....I know you were too late but that was quite a thing you did. I mean....the fire...and smoke.....well done indeed. I will be proud to fight next to you any time."

At the approach of the princess.....Khavhan's demeanor changed. He went from serious to all smiles as he took in the attractive woman. He knew it was not fair to give her his must irrisistable smile...but it would be a shame not to give her her money's worth. After the woman had stormed off with her guards she started following with the others. As he did so he said with a grin "I have to say....we performed EXCELLENT! I mean...healing wounded....fighting fires....*glaces at the gnome with a little grin on his face* rescuing barn animals....well done everyone! I would be surprised if the princess did not lavish praises on us...or have her bard write a ballet about our bravery."

Last edited by AlwaysCivilMike; Feb 5th, 2011 at 10:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old Feb 6th, 2011, 05:15 PM
DarkTower's Avatar
DarkTower DarkTower is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 19th, 2012
RPXP: 1805
DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower
Posts: 1,440
In the middle of Khav's jovial encouragement Garavel walks up to gather up the group. "Let us go and not keep her waiting."

They make their way to the tent pitched at the center of the caravan and see two of the tall Pactmaster guards outside of the tarp door. Inside the tent it is dim and soft. Oriental rugs of every various kind are randomly laid out on the desert ground so that it's plush and clean. Treasure chests and highly varnished expensive furniture are positioned neatly around with a soft bed in the back. In the center sits Almah at a wide desk with the two other guards at each side. She leans back in her chair and her lovely eyes drink in the PCs "It seems that you have all already made your selves useful to my camp. I thank you for that."

"I understand that you will help us in our mission. It is an important one, one that might help join nations. I will hire all of you, for 200 in gold each. Is that acceptable?" One of her personal guards enters the tent with a brass trunk. He opens it with a key and they can see a fortune of coins and gems.

__________________
~ . ~

Last edited by DarkTower; Feb 6th, 2011 at 05:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 02:28 AM
Of Line and Flow's Avatar
Of Line and Flow Of Line and Flow is offline
Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Dec 31st, 2016
RPXP: 288
Of Line and Flow Of Line and Flow Of Line and Flow
Posts: 131
A momentary sojourn to eternity and back, Khalid's eyes rise from that of the dead. He covers Khavan's with his own and squeezes. "This man's death was no accident." The gravity in these words resist immediate explanation. He relieves a woman nearby of her bucket, wrings his shirt in the water, and wipes the body clean.

----

With no time to wash or rest, Khalid kneels at the entrance to Almah's tent shirtless and soiled by soot and by the smell of burned flesh. Earning his patron's ire by ruining her living quarters would make for a poor journey at best.

"Very Well." he answers, but clarifies, "I find your price acceptable for retaking the city provided that you fund all expenses incurred during this expedition and that we have the right to take for ourselves valuables from the city we discover along the way. In exchange, the city will be yours."

"Now regarding Eloais, I have a question for you:
Why was he killed? He mentioned that they were after his a key. What do you know about this?"
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 09:37 AM
DarkTower's Avatar
DarkTower DarkTower is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 19th, 2012
RPXP: 1805
DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower
Posts: 1,440
"A key? He never mentioned anything about a key to me... If so, if something was being searched for then perhaps that was indeed intentional... Garavel and the five of you just arrived so I can eliminate you as suspects. Then as your first mission, find out the truth behind the fire and Eloais's death. Feel free to question the rest of the camp." She then goes on describe the other members of her team: her 4 Pactmaster personal guards, 6 mercenaries, 2 middle-age cooks/animal tenders, 1 halfling cleric, and 1 trail guide through this dangerous wilderness.


Khalid Roll Diplomacy (DC20)
Success helps bind the negotiation.
__________________
~ . ~

Last edited by DarkTower; Feb 9th, 2011 at 05:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Bismuth's Avatar
Bismuth Bismuth is offline
Very Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 16th, 2022
RPXP: 577
Bismuth Bismuth Bismuth Bismuth Bismuth Bismuth
Posts: 606
Karsh listens to Almahs proposition, then to Khalids extended list of requirements. They did not seem to be overly demanding but he wondered whether a more diplomatic approach might bear more fruit.

" I accept your terms and will greatfully accept any enhancements that we may be allowed " Karsh looks to see the reaction of the others.

Almah speaks again upon learning of a key, at least were not being blamed, that makes a change, a wry smile crosses Karshs' thick set features and we get to poke around as well!.
Karsh is well aware of his limitations and interrogation wasn't one of his strongpoints, but he did seem to have a sixth sense when it came to knowing if someone was trustworthy therefore he decided that he would remain on the sidelines and observe and listen when his new comrades questioned the members Almahs original team. With any luck he might be able to pick up something, if only that they are lying.
__________________
'Beware the wrath of the quiet man'
Spontaneity has its time and place
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Of Line and Flow's Avatar
Of Line and Flow Of Line and Flow is offline
Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Dec 31st, 2016
RPXP: 288
Of Line and Flow Of Line and Flow Of Line and Flow
Posts: 131
"I expect that both you and my employer will benefit a hundred-fold in the long term. I simply wish to formalize the terms of our services so that expectations are clear. My employer and I hold your goodwill in high regard."

Diplomacy 22
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old Feb 8th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Ockerdoodle's Avatar
Ockerdoodle Ockerdoodle is offline
Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 22nd, 2011
RPXP: 327
Ockerdoodle Ockerdoodle Ockerdoodle Ockerdoodle
Posts: 192
Alphard listens to all of this intrigue unfold before him like so many grains of sand flying past in a sandstorm. While he suspected that there had been more going on than a freak accident, he had no idea what it actually had entailed.

"I would be more than honored to aid you in retaking the city. I agreed to that before I even knew there would be payment. However, before we begin our investigations, do you have any idea why Eloais would hide something from you? And also, does this mean anything to you?"

Alphard pulls the burnt Harrow card from his pouch and places it on the table.

"This was carried to me by the desert wind, and I wonder if it had any significance to you?"
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old Feb 9th, 2011, 05:49 PM
DarkTower's Avatar
DarkTower DarkTower is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 19th, 2012
RPXP: 1805
DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower
Posts: 1,440
"I accept your terms and will greatfully accept any enhancements that we may be allowed" says Karsh. Almah nods to the half-orc druid and then turns back to Khalid. "I expect that both you and my employer will benefit a hundred-fold in the long term. I simply wish to formalize the terms of our services so that expectations are clear. My employer and I hold your goodwill in high regard." Almah takes a moment to regard to Khalid and then tilts her head in acknowledgment. "Your offer is reasonable, Duskwalker. What ever treasures or items of value all of you find in the town may be yours." She nods to her guard and he passes out the money, a mix of gold and gems.

Alphard steps forward, ruffling through his clothes for something. "I would be more than honored to aid you in retaking the city. I agreed to that before I even knew there would be payment. However, before we begin our investigations, do you have any idea why Eloais would hide something from you? And also, does this mean anything to you?" Alphard pulls the burnt Harrow card from his pouch and places it on the table."This was carried to me by the desert wind, and I wonder if it had any significance to you?"

Almah takes the card gingerly from the gnome and stares at it, her hazel eyes entranced. "Yes. This does have a significance. Last night, Eloais had given me a reading and it had centered on this card; the Cyclone." She sets the card onto her desk. "Eloais’s readings had grown increasingly grim, and that his last reading centered on an auspicious card, the Cyclone, portending death by fire and schemes by powerful evil. When I asked if that indicated something about Kelmarane, he said, 'Yes, but the village is only a small part of something much larger, something he called the Legacy of Fire.' He did not know what it was. In some ways I only hope it was a prophecy of his own death." She then hands the card back to Alphard if he wants to take it.

Almah says that she hired Eloais in Solku[1] about a month ago to read his cards for her—she hasn’t visited the land of her ancestors in Solku, but having a harrower at her side felt “right.” Having help from an astronomer that she could trust seemed essential. "I do not believe that Eloais was hiding anything from me, he would never do that to me, I am nearly certain."

At this point Garavel steps up to his rama and whispers something into her ear. Almah stands. "I have some business I must attend. Do you have anymore questions?"

[1] Solku: much smaller than Katapesh but still a settlement of decent size, attracts many traders, as well as pilgrims intent on visiting Sarenrae’s Lambent Citadel. In recent years gnolls from White Canyon have besieged Solku in a series of attacks, but the last conflict 2 years ago saw the bands broken and driven off. They have not returned to trouble Solku since, but it seems likely that they will again someday.
__________________
~ . ~

Last edited by DarkTower; Feb 9th, 2011 at 05:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:35 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2023, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB