Game Thread I. The Sultan's Claw - Page 6 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Pathfinder: 1e > Legacy of Fire > Shelved Adventures
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #76  
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 12:01 AM
DarkTower's Avatar
DarkTower DarkTower is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 19th, 2012
RPXP: 1805
DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower
Posts: 1,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalid
"Do you wish that we rejoin you in the Pale Mountains, here, or elsewhere?"
"Meet us at the Sultan's Claw, but once you have returned I am to move our caravan to another location. I feel that this spot is no longer safe. I will have my servants ready your cart for you if you wish, no one will dare steal from you if they are under my orders." Almah then commands for Khavhan and Il'tehp to stay behind and that she wants to have a word with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karsh & Alphard in Garavel's Ear'
" but know this - he is not to be trusted." ~then~"If we cannot trust Dashki, perhaps we should take him along with us rather than leaving him here with the caravan."
Garavel stops to consider the advice. He looks at the two with keen steely eyes and makes a sharp nod. "I'm in agreement with you. Do me this favor: watch the man. Watch him and everything he does. I do not want to see foul play come to the princess's honor. If you want, take some mounts with you. You are both free to do so." Garavel then beckons for Dashki. "Dashki! You will accompany these three right away. I will not hear of anything else."

The trail-guide grits his teeth, almost as if he was snarling, but gives no argument.




Khalid begins tracking the footprints from his warhorse and it leads the enforcer north and then turns sharply to the north-west. Dashki actually gives him useful information and points out more tracks of multiple tiny creatures all around the camp. The whole caravan was surrounded by these creatures for days it might seem. Khalid continues to follow the tracks of the creature that leads from the wagon that caught on fire.

The Pale Mountains loom above like jagged brown teeth from the sands. They draw closer in it's shadow and the sand gives away to dry, rocky, scrubland hills. Cacti begin to dot the landscape and grow in number. The four feel inexplicable rise in the natural tension of the environment, as if they expect something terrible to happen. Three vultures circle high above the party. Khalid sees more tracks meet up with the fey's and then it continues along north-west along with the mysterious creature.


Khalid Roll Survival (Tracking) Check (DC11)
- Success helps recognize details of this additional creature

After a mile of travel from the encampment they all come upon a large cacti patch and the two sets of footprints disappear into the thick patch. The party hear a brief cry of what sounds like a human child from the cacti patch.


Everyone Roll Knowledge (Nature) Check (DC10)
- Success recognizes the sound
__________________
~ . ~

Last edited by DarkTower; Mar 1st, 2011 at 12:02 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 04:56 PM
Of Line and Flow's Avatar
Of Line and Flow Of Line and Flow is offline
Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Dec 31st, 2016
RPXP: 288
Of Line and Flow Of Line and Flow Of Line and Flow
Posts: 131
Though he nevertheless keeps his distance to avoid nausea, Khalid's professional respect for Dashki rises as Stinker discovers the feylings' long-term presence about the camp. He informs Almah and Garavel of Dashki's findings. True to his word, he makes a point to note Dashki's contribution. He suggests a perimeter watch to guard against the persistent threat.

----

Between the set of them, the three party trackers make good pursuit into the desert wilderness. Khalid's senses are elevated, concentrating on his prey in addition to telltale signs of pursuit. Hardly superstitious and well used to the dark, the changing ecosystem bothers him little. He does spare some attention to the vultures above. He studies where their attention is focused. Their bird's-eye view could warn of other creatures' presence.

Khalid waves a halt as the trail leads into a cactus thicket. He frowns. The spiny plants serve as an effective deterrent for larger creatures while the feylings enjoy relative freedom of movement. "This might be their lair."

He dismounts, dons his own armor, and secures his horse's barding as protection from the needles. While he works, his senses lock onto a cry from within the thicket. He holds up his hand, motioning for silence. He takes up a javelin and his shield. Standing up in his stirrups, he cranes his neck in search of nearby creatures.

Survival (Tracking) 22, Knowledge (Nature) 23

Perception 16
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old Mar 2nd, 2011, 03:14 AM
DarkTower's Avatar
DarkTower DarkTower is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 19th, 2012
RPXP: 1805
DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower
Posts: 1,440
__________________
~ . ~

Last edited by DarkTower; Mar 2nd, 2011 at 03:15 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old Mar 2nd, 2011, 09:54 AM
Ockerdoodle's Avatar
Ockerdoodle Ockerdoodle is offline
Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 22nd, 2011
RPXP: 327
Ockerdoodle Ockerdoodle Ockerdoodle Ockerdoodle
Posts: 192
Alphard listens as the shrill cry pierces the air around himself and his companions.

"What in the name of Sarenrae was that? Was it a child?" Alphard tries to think back on the noise, and attempts to figure out for himself what it was.

Quote:
"This might be their lair."
"Then what should we do now? I could burn away the patch if you'd all like, but do you think that was a kid down there?"
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old Mar 2nd, 2011, 07:57 PM
Of Line and Flow's Avatar
Of Line and Flow Of Line and Flow is offline
Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Dec 31st, 2016
RPXP: 288
Of Line and Flow Of Line and Flow Of Line and Flow
Posts: 131
Khalid puzzles for a second. "It is a goat." he says simply.

"But, it's not alone." his whisper concludes, referencing the tracks going into the thicket. "These are the goat's tracks. And, these are the tracks of the creature we're following. I didn't see what it was, but based on its size, it could be anywhere."

Khalid considers his plan for a moment before elaborating.

"The goat is stolen property. It must be returned. I will cut a way inside. Karsh takes the beast, and we leave. Simple. If the murderer-thief shows himself, out of reach if he's smart, Alphard will take him down with a spell. Ready?"

Khalid trades his shield for the sword at his back. With a basic flourish, he hefts the blade high and begins lopping off arms, advancing through the thicket towards the goat. Every now and again, he slices clean through a cactus trunk with enough force to send it flying.

Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old Mar 3rd, 2011, 12:40 PM
DarkTower's Avatar
DarkTower DarkTower is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 19th, 2012
RPXP: 1805
DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower
Posts: 1,440
Khalid leads the way, the sun drumming down on them as the man hacks his way through the thicket. The cactus falls like toothpicks under his blade and within minutes he's five feet in. He looks around and sees only a thick tangle of thorns and needles at everyside.

As he transverses forward, though, he beings to feel uneasy. He begins to have trouble hacking at the cactus, his focus keeps slipping and he even misses the cactus altogether. Even his feet seem unsteady and it feels like he has two left feet, stepping in the wrong direction to make a pivot. Something wrong here...

Then from the thicket something laughs at Khalid's difficulity. It's a very small and crackling voice. "Hehehe careful!"


Khalid Reroll your 2 last Perception Checks and Intimidation Check
- Compare your new set to the old set and take the lowest number

All Players
Anyone who enters the cactus patch by five feet must roll everything twice and take the lowest roll. There is an ill aura about the spot and it's effecting your chances of success.
__________________
~ . ~

Last edited by DarkTower; Mar 3rd, 2011 at 12:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old Mar 3rd, 2011, 07:08 PM
Bismuth's Avatar
Bismuth Bismuth is offline
Very Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 24th, 2023
RPXP: 577
Bismuth Bismuth Bismuth Bismuth Bismuth Bismuth
Posts: 606
Karsh held back before entering the thicket. Watching as Khalid makes his way deeper into thicket all appears to be fine so Karsh draws his dagger and begins to follow in Khalids footsteps.
__________________
'Beware the wrath of the quiet man'
Spontaneity has its time and place
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old Mar 3rd, 2011, 07:40 PM
Of Line and Flow's Avatar
Of Line and Flow Of Line and Flow is offline
Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Dec 31st, 2016
RPXP: 288
Of Line and Flow Of Line and Flow Of Line and Flow
Posts: 131
Active Perceptions 10 & 11; Intimidate 18
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old Mar 4th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Of Line and Flow's Avatar
Of Line and Flow Of Line and Flow is offline
Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Dec 31st, 2016
RPXP: 288
Of Line and Flow Of Line and Flow Of Line and Flow
Posts: 131
Khalid pauses hacking just long enough to grumble, "I dislike feylings" under his breath. An annoyed tick develops just under his left eye. His moustache dances along for the ride.

The enforcer locks eyes with Dashki near the edge of the thicket. He indicates the direction of the creature's voice, and motions that Stinker should flank the creature's escape from the other side.

With that, he resumes cutting his way into the thicket toward the goat as before.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old Mar 4th, 2011, 04:10 PM
DarkTower's Avatar
DarkTower DarkTower is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 19th, 2012
RPXP: 1805
DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower
Posts: 1,440
Not really anyone likes fey. Even the best of them are manipulative, greedy, sly, and endlessly tormenting. People have gone through great lengths to clear their land of fey before they settle. They can be worse than vermin and that much harder to get rid of.

Progress is much slower now as Khalid clears the cacti. He could squeeze past them (Acrobat Check (DC15)) but he's not feeling up to it. Karsh is close behind and then he feels the wave of unease clench his senses. Dashki can be heard rattling around outside of the patch in another direction. It's hard to say where. The whole time the two keep moving they hear the fey mock and taunt them. The voice is very small but the creature seems to be yelling at the top of it's lungs. They still can't pinpoint where it's coming from though.

Khalid sees nothing of the creature but he finally makes through the entire 15' and sees that the ground drops steeply before him. A 15 foot wide ravine is at his feet and with a casual glance, sweat stinging his fire singed skin from the last episode, he sees a huge multi0armed, wickedly barbed cactus dominating the ground 10 feet below the ledge. The sad little goat has been lazily tied to a scrub bush a little ways above the large cactus and it's frantically pulling at the rope. He's covered with cactus quills and is in pretty bad shape. "Ahhhhh. Poor poor goat. Poor poor goat HAHAHA!"

- Anyone who goes down to the goat must roll a Climb Check(DC15).
__________________
~ . ~
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Ockerdoodle's Avatar
Ockerdoodle Ockerdoodle is offline
Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 22nd, 2011
RPXP: 327
Ockerdoodle Ockerdoodle Ockerdoodle Ockerdoodle
Posts: 192
Alphard does as Khalid says and holds back from his two companions as they cut deeper into the patch. He hears the voice instantly begins trying to figure out where it emanates from.

His eyes shiftily drifting back and forth, Alphard mumbles and shifts his hands back and forth, hoping his magic will help him ferret out the source of the voice.

Perception 13

Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Of Line and Flow's Avatar
Of Line and Flow Of Line and Flow is offline
Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Dec 31st, 2016
RPXP: 288
Of Line and Flow Of Line and Flow Of Line and Flow
Posts: 131
"Hold here," cautions the desert lumberjack as the ground falls away before him. "I need a different tool," he concludes as he wipes plant resin from his blade and stows it.

He draws his polearm and begins to hack away at the plants below. Once the way is clear, he produces a rope from his pack. "The slope is steep. If you will allow it, I will catch you should you slip." With Karsh's permission, Khalid secures a bowline knot beneath his armpits. Khalid anchors him from above while feeding just enough line to keep the rope taut.

"If you swing, stop yourself against the cactus with your shield in two hands." he advises. "You may use my net to secure the beast if you wish."

 
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 09:18 PM
DarkTower's Avatar
DarkTower DarkTower is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 19th, 2012
RPXP: 1805
DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower DarkTower
Posts: 1,440
The gnome sorcerer can not see where the little fey is, but by squinting his eyes the weave of magic in the material plane comes to light and sees what the others can not.

Khalid gets the rope ready, bracing it taunt under his arm pits and digging his feet into the rocky terrain, and it dangles down near the goat. The goat, 'Rombard' the camel-driver had called it, skitters away from the rope but then returns to trying to keep it's footing, crying out help for the humans that usually care and feed for it. It's up to Karsh now.

The little monster calls out and taunts the druid. "Make you be careful! Know want you to slip! Slip! Slip! Slip! Hahahaha"

- The Climb DC is reduced to a DC5 if a knotted rope is being used.


Meanwhile... at the Sultan's ClawAlmah looks up from her desk to see her four guards bring in the two men she had requested: the elf, Khavhan, and her purchased slave, Il'tehp. The sun beats down on the tent from the desert heat but she does not feel it's brazen sting within the confines of her refuge as the four men under her hire (Karsh, Alphard, Khalid, and Dashki) are hunting down the fey that might have killed her astronomer. She puts down the quill curtly and confronts the two men standing before her. "Khavhan. I am having my mercenaries scout out for a better location to move our camp and I want you to accompany them and keep an eye out. Tell me what they say and how they act. They have been thoroughly disappointing of late but as they are under my hire I must deal with them the best I can. " She then dismisses the humanoid and he leaves. The merchant princess then turns to the lone man with the birthmark on his shoulder. "Il'tehp. I made sure that my guards keep an eye on you to see how you perform. So far I am not impressed. Let me tell you that-" she is then interrupted by one of the guards as he shoulders his self in through the front flap.

"Ra'is, a Slave Caravan approaches from the south. They have requested your presence. I'll turn them away at your request."


Telling Il'tehp to keep in toll she exits her private tent to investigate.

She walks outside and sees a long caravan wind it's way towards them. Almah tells Garavel to get everyone ready for battle in case it's a trap. As the Slave Caravan approaches she spot the red and black flag of the Flesh Market and hears the bark of guard dogs that run alongside of the trail of wagons.

~ - ~

Khandir is among this caravan. The gigantic half-orc is half asleep within the iron barred wagon as it rolls through the desert. Extra precautions were made to secure the ex-gladiator, chaining his ankles and his feet with manacles and then looping them both through a thick iron ring bolted to the center of the wagon floor. A single chain is also linked from the loop to the slave collar wrapped around his neck, keepin his head bowed and his neck muscles screaming. Other slaves, broken and silent, lean against the walls of the wagon with their own chains and collars. They all have downcast eyes and try to conserve their energy with what little water and bread they are allowed daily. The guard dogs and their ever constant barking come from the small windows at the top where a little bit of the hard sun shines through. The silence is broken as one of the slaves begins to cough (a hacking, deep, course cough that spells an early death without treatment). That awakens some of the slaves, including Khandir, who was lost in far fetched thoughts of the freedom he used to believe in. Khandir looks around as much as possible from the chain keeping head low and sees the silhouettes of the others. They are weaker humans and can not take this kind treatment as he can. He sees a particularly older man with baggy skin stare into the dim light, his hands and body shaking compulsively. He's been doing that three weeks, his hand barely steady as he drinks his ration cup of water. Won't be long until he's dead like the others.

Then the wagon comes to an erupt halt.

Khandir hears one of the Caravan Masters talking. Then the sound of another man, a stranger, answer. Moments pass and the wagon door is unlocked and opened. The Caravan Master comes in with a large staff, his key ring with his dozens of various keys to other people's lives jingling audibly. Alright. Up and ready, up and ready everyone. Look sharp! I've got some possible clients so look your best and maybe you can get out of this dung hole once and for all. The Caravan Master begins to unlock each slave and march them outside of the wagon. He saves Khandir, his favored attack-dog, for last and unlocks all his chains. "There there. That's all right. Just look good, Khandir, and win me a pretty penny. Make it worth your while, make sure."

The sun stabs Khandir's eyes like sabers of the fire god. When he gains his focus he sees that the Flesh Fair has stopped at a caravan in the middle of the desert. A strange looking tree that had recently caught fire sits to the side of the jumble of wagons. The camp watches Khandir and the other slaves with detached amusement, a passing entertainment. A beautiful woman of regal standing watches from the back with cool eyes. Four guards, all of them large (though not as large as Khandir), stand around her and have the colors of the Pactmaster Guards... what would a represent of the Pactmaster be doing here??? Another man, some one of authority it would seem, checks over the slaves to see if there's anything worth his coin. The man looks very disappointed and unhappy but stops at Khandir, a seven foot talk of hulking orc and human. "What's your name" he demands Khandir, shushing the Caravan Master of any explanations " and what combat history do you have?"
__________________
~ . ~

Last edited by DarkTower; Mar 5th, 2011 at 09:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Bismuth's Avatar
Bismuth Bismuth is offline
Very Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 24th, 2023
RPXP: 577
Bismuth Bismuth Bismuth Bismuth Bismuth Bismuth
Posts: 606
Karsh realises that Khalid is talking to him! It worries him that he hasn't felt totally at one with his surroundings for a little while not good, feeling apart from the land!.
" Climbing, I am not the best at but I will try " he looks down at the goat below and the rocky climb he is about to undertake. Maybe there is something in the air that is making his thoughts muddled, surely it's not a good idea for him to climb but nevertheless Karsh allows Khalid to tie the rope under his arms. " I have no shield to use against the cactus, but I will take care, a half-orcs hide is fairly tough! ". He manoeuvres himself so he is standing on the edge of the drop " I am ready " he says and as Khalid takes the strain he squats and lowers his left leg down followed by the right, he takes his weight on his arms and turns his body so he is facing the rocky wall and lowers himself so all that remains to be seen from Khalids position is Karshs' fingers, " I shall let go in 5 seconds, brace yourself! " he shouts up.
__________________
'Beware the wrath of the quiet man'
Spontaneity has its time and place
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 09:02 PM
AlwaysCivilMike's Avatar
AlwaysCivilMike AlwaysCivilMike is offline
And... he's back
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Dec 23rd, 2020
RPXP: 10687
AlwaysCivilMike AlwaysCivilMike AlwaysCivilMike AlwaysCivilMike AlwaysCivilMike AlwaysCivilMike AlwaysCivilMike AlwaysCivilMike AlwaysCivilMike AlwaysCivilMike AlwaysCivilMike
Posts: 7,130
Quote:
"Khavhan. I am having my mercenaries scout out for a better location to move our camp and I want you to accompany them and keep an eye out. Tell me what they say and how they act. They have been thoroughly disappointing of late but as they are under my hire I must deal with them the best I can. "
He bowed deeply saying “I am at your beckon and call my lady. I will keep an eye on those sand pirates and will deal with them according if something is amiss.” He gave her that toothy smile he KNEW was making her knees weak with longing for him. “Ah Khav…you dog….what woman CAN resist you?”

When the attention was directed at the slave he listened politely until the conversation was cut off by a message from a guard. Intrigued, Khav followed the princess out to greet the ‘flesh’ trader. Moving up past the guards to just off her left shoulder he peered over at the ‘merchandise’ being offered. He could not help it….he wrinkled his nose at the smell….AND being this close to a savage orc barbarian. At seeing this ‘beast’ he whispered…though not quiet enough that people chained up could not hear him…said “Oh my princess…be careful of THAT one *points*. Their smell is only matched by their temper and prowess in battle. By the smell of this one he must have a VERY bad temper.”
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:39 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2024, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB