RPG Crossing
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Oct 4th, 2014, 12:23 PM
Certified Rapscallion

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 29922
ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb
Perspective in DM Posts

Hi All!

I've been on the site going on eight months, and I'm having an absolute blast. Feeling that I've cut my teeth pretty well and have a decent feel for how to engage a PbP game, am about to take the plunge running my own Pathfinder game!

I've been studying the work of some renowned player/DMs and otherwise trying to gather tips, rules-of-thumb, etc., which led me all the way down to this delightful folder, and it seems a good place to inquire on a subject that's interesting me; the perspective of DM posts as it pertains to the characters.

I'm very fortunate to be in games with top-notch DMs (based on my limited experience, not to mention the hall of fame / Iron DM badges they wear. ), and even among them, I see different preferences in this regard. Obviously it isn't a game-breaker either way or they all wouldn't have such awesome games, but it still intrigues me.

I have observed some DMs like to use what I'll call "direct" perspective when narrating. There may be a real literary term for it that I don't know... Example: "You see a courtyard before you." (direct) versus "The adventurers saw before them a sprawling courtyard" (indirect), and even the completely independent "Beyond the arch, a sprawling courtyard is revealed." etc. You get the drift.

I see one of my amazing DMs (almost?) never uses the "direct" language, even in a solo game, he will address the character by name, or a pronoun, rather than say "you". It's so consistent I imagine it is a writer's rule of his.

Another tends toward the direct "you", but also does mix in the other.

It seems the word "you" is one to be conscious of, simply because it might get overused, appearing too often, and possibly making a piece of prose stale a bit.

Is this something you are conscious of as a DM? As a player, do you have a preference? Is this a "season to taste/your mileage may vary" type thing? Do you think it changes the feel of the writing in significantly one way or the other?

Being a rookie DM, and based on the fact it is something I did notice in my own games, I found myself asking myself if I should try to stick to one end of that spectrum or the other.

Feedback is appreciated!

Last edited by ItsaVerb; Oct 4th, 2014 at 12:27 PM.
Old Oct 4th, 2014, 01:09 PM
Evily Adorable
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3270
Hextor Hextor Hextor Hextor Hextor Hextor Hextor Hextor Hextor Hextor Hextor
Glad to see you are having fun, Verb!

For my games, I keep narration in the third person, both for myself and my players. My reasons for avoiding direct perspective (first and second person) are not only a style issue for me. How many books do you read in the second person (you)? None. I would like spectators to enjoy a cohesive read. I also stay away from the first and second persons for my mental benefit. Reading all "you" and "I" gets confusing. If I play a game where the DM/GM uses "you" I ask them to not. I never know who is the you if there is four or five of us. Point on that: you is singular, and a group of four adventurers is not singular. Bad grammar.

I take this use of person a step further and ask my players to be descriptive of their characters. If you read 20 posts and they all only use "he" to define the character it gets confusing. The players using their name, a physical descriptor, or "the rogue", "young cleric", etc. helps keep the DM and any reader in line with who is doing what.
Old Oct 4th, 2014, 01:55 PM
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 34202
MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar
I use a mix of "you", "They" and sometime the character name, function or physical descriptor.

I never paid attention actually.

Cheers,

Last edited by MoonZar; Oct 4th, 2014 at 01:57 PM.
Old Oct 4th, 2014, 08:11 PM
Munrab
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 27402
RedRab RedRab RedRab RedRab RedRab RedRab RedRab RedRab RedRab RedRab RedRab
I never use "you." I always write in third person.
Old Oct 4th, 2014, 08:24 PM
Certified Rapscallion

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 29922
ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb
Thanks!

It's interesting. If I remember, even the published modules say "you", and of course in a tabletop setting, you naturally will say that, face-to-face.

It distinguishes the PbP format.

Knowing as we do that lots of members, myself included, like to read games we aren't playing in, the third-person makes it an equal experience, as though we can share it with the players. Isn't that it?
Old Oct 5th, 2014, 12:21 AM
Evily Adorable
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3270
Hextor Hextor Hextor Hextor Hextor Hextor Hextor Hextor Hextor Hextor Hextor
One of the reasons I do third person.
Old Jun 5th, 2018, 03:06 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18725
Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn
I almost always try and use the character or character's name when describing something they are seeing or hearing, rather than a simple "you." I find it far less confusing when multiple characters are in play. For example if Catsler, Druce, and Hayer enter a room they may see and hear different things:
The three of them waited, letting their eyes adjust to the dimness of the hall. Catsler's attention was drawn to a large tapestry hanging at the back of the room depicting a man riding a lion. Druce could see nothing, but he heard the scurrying of numerous rats, well fed rats by the sound of them. Hayer couldn't hear or see anything, his senses still adjusting to the gloom and near silence.

I find it also gives players the sense you are paying attention to them. I know I feel that way when I am playing.
Old Jun 11th, 2018, 11:52 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2200
Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67
I mix it up. whether it is correct or not. However, I do not see myself as a good DM so take it with a grain of salt.