RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Feedback & User Resources > Gaming Advice > DM Screen > DM mentoring
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 06-18-2019, 10:08 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 100
SouloMischief SouloMischief
Teaching Someone the basics of being a Game Master

Or whatever you'd like to call it for your system. I plan on teaching several people how to run 5e games. I've got years of experience running AD&D, 3.5, and Pathfinder. I just recently started learning the 5e ruleset. So as an added bonus of teaching GMing philosophy and methods using 5e, I'll learn the rules specifics a bit better by teaching them. At least, that's my theory.

I'll have my students for 2 hour sessions on a weekly basis. My top fundamental topics, no particular order, are going to be....
  • What is a GM/DM? What are they supposed to do?
  • Rules and rulings
  • Combat
  • Descriptions
  • NPCs
  • Encounters

And then move on to basic planning. I've definitely given it a bit more thought than I've written in here but I thought I'd get some perspective to see what others might include in the first couple sessions trying to teach others how to run a game. Thoughts?
“I respect the man who knows distinctly what he wishes. The greater part of all mischief in the world arises from the fact that men do not sufficiently understand their own aims. They have undertaken to build a tower, and spend no more labor on the foundation than would be necessary to erect a hut.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 06-21-2019, 01:44 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
One of the teaching games I intend to use is called a word circle. It's any number of words long. There is a circular order to the words so that one word relates to the next and then the next until the last word relates to the first word.

Ex: sword, sheath, belt, pants, guard, shirt, shoulder, arm, hand....back to sword

This a really simple one. You can make the connections more obscure or more specific to a world or encounter. You randomize the order and the challenge is for the players to figure out the correct order.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Another of my ideas is to put pictures of NPCs, villains, monsters, etc., into envelopes and then have participants randomly select a few envelopes. From there, they build a simple encounter. Or practice the skill of fleshing out some aspect of the image. For instance, a barkeep npc. What's his name and 3 things about him. So forth and so on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We'll be using pregen maps but we'll likely make our own maps as part of the workshop.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I know a mini hobbyist and I'm hoping he'll give a mini painting tutorial.

SOOOoooo.....

Any other ideas?
“I respect the man who knows distinctly what he wishes. The greater part of all mischief in the world arises from the fact that men do not sufficiently understand their own aims. They have undertaken to build a tower, and spend no more labor on the foundation than would be necessary to erect a hut.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 06-21-2019, 03:43 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 973
HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan
Hmmm, introduce the philosophy of GMing as to being a referee vs an antagonist vs a narrator vs a facilitator. Just that there are different styles that can work, and it’s useful to know that.
Old 07-26-2019, 12:31 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Following up. I've made packets with pictures of villains, monsters, NPCs, and maps that my participants had to roll a d100 to get their packet. Then we would discuss scenarios based on the random stuff I put in them. We've designed maps and we piddle about with riddles, puzzles, traps, and hazards. Last week, I made cards in categories like hazards, traps, puzzles, riddles, npcs, villains, monsters, and locations. On each card was a bare snippet of information and the prospective DMs had to describe and embellish what was on the card as if they were the DM. Next week, I have one GM running his first one shot created by himself. I'll still need to prepare something in case he tanks in some way. It's been fun and informative.