RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > The Breaking of Exandria > Game Thread Archive
twitter google facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 02-05-2019, 08:31 PM
4eyedBadger's Avatar
4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-24-2019
RPXP: 1216
4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger
Posts: 1,645
The Breaking of Exandria: Part 2

The Breaking of Exandria: Part 2

The Stilben Waterfront
normal image without text wrap
Art by Debora Spiro
The sun set an hour ago, but the day’s heat lingers over the city of Stilben...and over the dock outside the Stuck in the Muck Tavern and Inn. The bows of both boats bump up against the wood of the walkway. When measured in weight of provisions, both vessels are slightly lighter than when they left. But one look at the faces of their passengers and it is plain they carry a heavy burden.

Ames Cuellar sits on the steps leading down to the little dock. He smokes a cigarette below his heavy mustaches and does not offer to take the line of either boat. His stern eyes look over the cargo. "Maybe you lot don’t know what the word ‘deliver’ means?" Looking at the drow woman in manacles, he almost smiles; a display few have ever seen before. "Oh hells. Shelley’s gonna filet you all like stormin’ fish when she gets back." Seeing the beginnings of protests from the new arrivals, Ames raises a thick, calloused hand. "Don’t bother. I’d rather be ignorant on this one. But you’d better get this stuff...and yer guest...inta the cellar ‘fore the Watch sees you. Tho’ they might be pref’rable to the Spireling. C’mon, everybody grab somethin’." Suddenly serious, Ames snaps, "Not you, Tenpenny! You gotta get over to your wife’s place. Someone tried to snatch your little girl today, right off the street." Seeing the flash of panic on the warlock’s face, Ames puts up a hand in what is supposed to be a calming gesture. "Now, she’s alright. Just fine. Lucky for her that blue girl happened by and stopped them. Got cut up a little for her trouble too, but she gave better than she got and they run off. Anyway, that’s what Shelley’s working on right now; finding those gutless devils. She and Secrets have been turnin’ over the slums all afternoon. Nobody messes with family and keeps their throats in one piece. You run up there and see she’s alright. Your girl asked for you. The rest of you, help me get this stuff inside quick. Shelley’ll be mad enough without that damned Dhogol sniffin’ around."

Flora and Meela’s House
normal image without text wrap
Art by Brandon Gobey
Meela and Flora live in the merchant quarter with Flora’s father, Derwent Ghosse. It is far from the smelly places that Confire frequents, and uphill. Confire’s heart pounds and his lungs burn as he runs, heedless of the shocked looks from the respectable people at his passing. Let them burn!, he says to himself, unsure if he means his lungs or the “respectable” people in this district. As he runs his mind flashes back to his dream in the swamp and the terrible fate that befell Meela in it.

Finally arriving at the lavish one-story home, Confire tramples the flowerbeds to get to the door! He barely manages to avoid knocking Rhea, the nanny, aside as he rushes through the threshold. Running from room to room, calling out Meela’s name like a madman, Confire finds her in the parlor!

"Daddy!!" The little girl jumps up off the couch and runs across the room, jumping at Confire with arms wide. Quickly her gleeful smile turns to the sobs of a frightened child. "I’m sorry, daddy! I wasn’t going to go with them. They said they were your friends, but they didn’t know our word. I tried to yell...I should have...oh, daddy! It’s my fault for running away from Miss Rhea again! I won’t do it anymore! I promise!" The girl’s wailing falls silent as she allows Confire to hold her, gripping him tight.

It is at this moment, after the panic has passed, that Confire notices the young woman who had been seated on the couch with Meela as he burst in. Her skin is pale, closer to an icy blue than any human tone, and her hair is a shock of white that hangs around her shoulders. She's young, and her short height and slim build make her seem younger than she is. The effect clashes spectacularly with the color of her hair. Still, there's a pugnacious edge to her; her movements are graceful and fluid, exuding confidence. She had leapt to her feet even as Confire had thrown the parlor doors open. Her tense, fighting posture slowly relaxes as she recognizes the relationship between Confire and the girl.

Suddenly remembering her companion, Meela turns and pulls Confire toward the couch and the young woman. "Oh, daddy, this is my friend Alys! She saved me! You should’ve seen her! She wasn’t afraid of his knife and she kicked that man so hard he couldn’t even hold it anymore!" Meela looks at Alys and smiles widely, as if one of the great heroes of her storybooks has stepped out of the pages.

Just then, Flora bursts into the room, her face a mask of barely controlled rage! She steps forcefully toward Confire and slaps him full on the face! "What have you involved us in now?! How could you?! You’re worthless! I wish I’d never laid eyes on you! If anything had happened to...I’d...I’d..." Flora looks over at Meela’s horrified face and stops herself. Tears well up in the angry woman’s eyes as she balls her fists up on Confire’s chest. She pounds weakly as the tears start to flow, and for a moment Confire sees the vulnerable woman who once loved him. Before he had messed it up. She looks up into his face imploringly. "What’s going on, Confire? Will this happen again? Who are these people? How do they know about Meela?"

At that moment a boy of about twelve years rushes into the room, pursued by a protesting Rhea. Pol, one of Shelley’s runners, is dressed like an urchin, his torn pants exposing his knees. He nimbly dodges away from Rhea as he delivers his message. "Ms. Alys, Shelley needs you down at Pauper’s Bridge right away! She thinks she’s found the snatchers! Oh! Hi, Mr Confire! You should go too! Shelley needs blades quick."

Flora raises a hand at Rhea, who stops chasing the boy. She turns a hard face at Confire and leans in close. Her voice trembles with emotion as she quietly says, "Go. Kill whoever put a hand on my daughter! Kill them...or..." Unable to finish her statement, Flora closes her eyes and fights back the rage. She turns toward Alys. "Thank you again, my dear. I can never repay you. If you need anything, please..." The distraught woman strides quickly from the room, wiping her eyes with her palms.

"Let’s go!," says Pol, already running for the door!

The Cellar below the MuckThe cargo safely stowed in the Muck’s cellar, Ames asks no questions. He sits on an upturned barrel, lights a cigarette, and offers it to Tayanna with a nod. After a second’s hesitation, the drowess accepts it and smokes awkwardly with her manacled hands. "Thank you," she manages to say in Common, dripping with her heavy accent.

Ames doesn’t reply. He doesn’t ask any questions. He just lights another cigarette for himself and puffs on it. The silence is just growing awkward when running footsteps are heard on the stairs leading down to the cellar. Ames grabs his black morningstar from beside the barrel and stands up. But it’s only Cuyle, one of the Clasp’s messenger boys and lookouts. The ruddy-faced redhead boy is panting heavily. He tries to catch his breath but Ames demands to know what he wants. Through gasping breaths Cuyle manages to get out, "It’s Shelley! (pant) She’s found the snatchers! (gasp) But there’s a lot of ‘em! Spireling Hassud has his Whisperers out distracting the Waterwatch from the area. But Shelley needs blades! She said for you to send whoever you have on hand down to the slums...to the Bridge..." Poor Cuyle, out of wind from his speech, doubles over clutching at his stomach.

Ames looks around the room at Cyprian, Ada, Talia, Doc, and Ron. His mouth doesn’t smile, but his eyes are alive with excitement. "You heard him! Time to go teach these bastards what happens when they lay hands on little girls in Stilben! Go! I’ll watch this one! My big body doesn’t run so well these days. Devyn, you smash a skull for me!"


OOC
 

Last edited by 4eyedBadger; 02-05-2019 at 10:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-05-2019, 10:45 PM
Syne's Avatar
Syne Syne is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-25-2019
RPXP: 7171
Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne
Posts: 1,910
Alys
left-aligned image
Life in Stilben had been more boring than anything else. Alys had arrived in the town a few months ago, friends in tow, and while they'd found respectable employment Alys had been left...adrift. It was a feeling she was used to, if she'd taken the time to think it through and admit it. Before Stilben, Drynna hadn't been much of a home either. Boredom aside, Alys had scraped by. She worked the occasional watch or ran the occasional message or delivery for the smugglers operating in and around Stilben. She'd hoped to prove herself, maybe even get tagged as muscle for something important. Unfortunately, the same things that made her useful for running errands for the smugglers made that exceedingly difficult. She was young, looked younger, and at just about five feet hardly screamed threatening. It wasn't fair, she'd reflected more than once; Meris had found work as a bouncer right away, and Alys had always been the better fighter.... But her half-orc friend had nearly two whole feet and an ungodly amount of muscle over Alys, plus a temperament better suited to the task.

So, with all that in the back of her mind, Alys hadn't hesitated that afternoon. She'd watched as a man and woman had cornered a girl and tried to take her, and she'd jumped into action. The fight had been quick and, ultimately, the pair had escaped before she'd been able to do much, but it was so much better than worrying about the Spireling's barrels or whatever nonsense errand she'd actually been on. Plus, the Spireling herself had actually been interested, and Alys had begun to hope once more for that chance to prove herself. When Shelley had asked Alys to keep an eye of the girl, she'd jumped at the chance, which was how she'd found herself sitting through a vaguely uncomfortable dinner with the girl, Meela, and her mother, Flora, in a much nicer part of town than Alys had ever had reason to visit. She'd definitely felt the difference in station; her drab clothing, a light, loose shirt and pants in dim blues and grays wasn't nearly the quality of her hosts'. Meela's admiration was flattering, though, and just the sort of balm for her ego that Alys needed after her last big adventure had done nothing but separate her from her friends.

Alys had been regaling Meela with a greatly embellished story of one of the fights she'd had in Drynna (and, yes, it painted a significantly rosier picture of Alys herself) when the door slammed open and a man began shouting for Meela. She jumped up, landing on the balls of her feet and fists raised. Her adrenaline was pumping and Alys felt rather than formed the grin that crept onto her face...only to be wiped off when Meela dashed past her right into the arms of the intruder. Oh. It's her dad. Right. People have those.

The older (ancient really, in Alys' opinion) man didn't have the look she'd expected for Meela's father; no trappings of wealth at all, really. And is he missing a hand? Her grin came back, sheepish this time, as Meela sang her praises. "Just doing what had to be done," she began, when suddenly Meela's mother was in the room, screaming, and Alys' mouth snapped shut with an audible click. Things are beginning to make sense.... Alys looked from Meela to Rhea, hoping the nanny would take Meela from the room. And me too, even! Alys was unspeakably grateful when the next intruder burst onto the scene, derailing the...whatever the intensely-personal-situation-Alys-wanted-nothing-to-do-with was, and instead being a summons from the Spireling. To fight, even! Socially awkward moments aside, today was shaping up to be great! Alys was literally bouncing, unable to contain herself, when Flora's attention turned to her and she forced a semblance of restraint. "Don't think twice about it. Anyone would have done the same," Alys said, the words coming easily to her, though she forced a smile at the woman who still seemed on the brink. She smiled at Meela too, with some genuine warmth. "You'll be safe now. No way those people will try again." Especially when the Spireling's through with them.... With Pol sprinting out the door, Alys hurried after him, but she slowed enough to look at Meela's father. "So.... I guess you get first crack at them. Seems fair to me. Plus I think that may be safer than not with, well...." She trailed, off, glancing over her shoulder at the door Flora had departed through. "Coming?"
StatBlock
 

Last edited by Syne; 02-06-2019 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Added a stat block, format stolen (with thanks!) from Odyssey and Vislands.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-06-2019, 12:54 AM
Odyssey's Avatar
Odyssey Odyssey is offline
Epic Level Enchatment
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-25-2019
RPXP: 2374
Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey
Posts: 1,424
Cyprian Thoros
right-aligned image
As they docked, Cyprian had decidedly removed himself from his emotions, though remained critical of them as an outside observer. He had to set a tone for himself and the impending situation ahead, and nervousness would not do. Nor would doubt. As Ames verbally jabbed at them in the harsh gesture of the smuggling type, Cyprian remained neutral. Spireling Shelley being displeased was completely understandable and warranted. She had a business to run, and this would be a massive set back. Reacting defensively or with hesitation would be detrimental to everyone’s welfare.

The revelation of Confire’s daughter provoked an instinctive response for action but he reined himself back a second later. He was not going to interfere where he was not needed or wanted. Instead, he watched Confire take off after Ames had explained the situation. Luckily, it appeared his daughter wasn't harmed, only shaken.

His daughter’s name was Meela, wasn’t it?

Cyprian frowned. The threat of loved ones’ safety was a powerful force, and he could only imagine what kind of fallout would reign when someone like Confire got started. He could almost picture it all too well.

With the cargo inside, Cyprian sat and leaned back on a pile of stacked crates as they awaited Shelley’s return. The cellar muffled the outside sounds. The wet, mildew odor far overpowered the sweeter smells of whatever stores sat unopened. The overall ambiance gave him a sensation of being buried alive. He crossed his arms and allowed himself to drift inward, almost meditative. He needed to recenter. His mind had been far too occupied on the building anxieties, and his behavior had bordered on childish and neglectful. Clearly, he had been swept up in his own emotions, and the feelings of others and it caused damaging errors on his part. He had been reactive rather than proactive. That needed to change.

Cyprian’s eyes snapped open at the sound of thundering footsteps approaching. He stood up, alert and ready. The door flung open only for a young boy to come bounding in. His hair stuck to the sweat on his forehead as he heaved information out in breathless gasps. Ames hardly needed to say a word before Cyprian was out the door and Double dash and movement of 90ft.sprinting toward the Bridge, taking the fasted backways he knew.

He hoped this fight would not be a reenactment of Saltend Wharf. That entire predicament had been a close call, and it was still fresh on the mind.


StatBlock
 
__________________
Posting Status:
Slow: Thurs-Mon
Normal: Tue-Wed

I took the Oath of Sangus
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-06-2019, 03:26 AM
Vislands's Avatar
Vislands Vislands is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-25-2019
RPXP: 2336
Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands
Posts: 1,464
Bellamy wasn't much looking forward to their return to Stilben. The journey into the swamp and to Rurik and his thugs hadn't been a safe one, but it had been exciting. Doc had at first taken on the assignment as way to curry favor with Shelley and secure a firmer place in the Clasp's good graces, but now - she didn't want to admit it, but the obstacles they'd encountered and overcome had made her feel good...and powerful. Even the scuffle with Rurik, though her feelings about that were much less clean.

Perhaps that explains why when the message of trouble came, she was on her feet and running as well. The Watch might be looking for them or so might many of her (erstwhile?) patients, so Doc formed an image in her mind as she ran and harness imbued in the hood she wore. Instantly her grin skin and small tusks were replaced with brown skin and full lips. The face she wore looked similar to hers if she were born fully human, the jaw and scowl are the same, as are the glowering eyes. Mother Lucinda if she saw her might marvel at how much she looked like her mother.

Her weapons, shield and armor are all disguised by the illusion as well, appearing instead as a simple, yellow shirt with sturdy trousers. She can still feel the weight of her gear though and imagines that any close quarters search would reveal the charade very quickly, as her fight with Tayanna did. Still, the hood would prove quite useful.



StatBlock
 
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-06-2019, 08:15 AM
Lazer's Avatar
Lazer Lazer is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-25-2019
RPXP: 2121
Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer
Posts: 1,465
Lungs burning, Confire burst into the house of his ex-wife and looked around frantically. If anyone had harmed her he would… Well, they would pay dearly. He burst into the parlour and was greeted by Meela rushing into his arms. He lifted her up and held her close, not really aware of what she was saying, just glad that she was okay.

"Shhh, honey. It’s okay. It’s okay. I won’t let anything bad happen," he murmured, trying to quiet her sobbing. And then Meela was pulling away, too soon, far too soon, but she wanted him to meet a young girl, must be one of her friends. "Uh, what? This is who saved you?" he asked as the story came out. So who had been trying to take her, some of the plush toys?

He didn’t have time to question any further before Flora was in the room and screaming at him. His temper rose to meet her, as she, once again, tried to blame him for everything! And then she was crying into his chest, and his anger melted away like it had never been there. He tentatively tried to hug her back, not quite believing it could be happening. What’s going on, Confire? Will this happen again? Who are these people? How do they know about Meela? she asked, and he shook his head, letting her think that he meant that this wouldn’t happen again, but actually just shaking his head because he had no idea who had done this, or why. But he would find out. He could hear the voices in his crystal screaming in outrage, and his soul was screaming back in perfect harmony. He would use every bit of his new power to see that whoever was responsible for this suffered.

He held Flora by the shoulder and looked into her eyes, letting her see the unholy anger burning inside him. "I promise you, they will pay." And then he looked down at Meela and some small part of him recoiled from the anger, is this a side of you that she should see? it asked, but was quickly drowned out. Now he just had to find the culprits.

And it seemed that fate was on his side, as Pol came barrelling into the room with exactly the news he had been hoping to hear. He was out the door and running down the street as fast as his legs would take him, but was surprised to find the blue girl was running on ahead of him. He gritted his teeth and tried to run faster, to get past her, to get to the bridge before anyone else so that he could take care of the problem without any witnesses, but she kept pace easily.

"Just…" he panted, and tried to gesture that she should stay behind him, but gave up and concentrated on running.

OOC
 

 
__________________
I’m not managing to get to a computer much at the moment so I’m only posting from my phone. Some delays are likely.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-06-2019, 10:22 AM
kymrel's Avatar
kymrel kymrel is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-25-2019
RPXP: 2458
kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel
Posts: 2,164
Ronald ‘One-Bone’ Devyn
right-aligned image
Ron just glowers at Ames when he chews them out for bringing the goods back to Stilben. He knows better than to try to get all defensive and argue with him. Besides, he thinks, comforting himself, he did his job. Not his problem if they got set up.

The thug helps carry the twice-smuggled goods into the damp cellar. He briefly wonders who would want to snatch Confire’s kid, but then puts it out of his head. Too many creeps who want a kid for something. When he was an urchin on the street there were always stories about slavery rings snatching children, and even one story about a prominent wizard who was supposed to kill children and use the bodies to power evil magic. Ron doesn’t really care about Confire’s kid though, and apparently the attempted snatch failed so at most it’s a lesson learned for the brat.

“Shelley is looking for the snatchers herself?” Ron asks, to confirm what Ames already said. That’s bad. Really bad. If she’s out there hunting the creeps who tried to take Confire’s kid, to make a point about him being protected by the Clasp, him coming back with the goods is even worse. She’s out there working to keep his family safe while he fails her. Ron isn’t smart, not by a long shot, but he’s got the kind of low cunning that has allowed him to survive in this town, on his own, since he was five years old. And he has every intention to continue surviving.

Like Ames, Ron is quick to react when someone runs down the steps into the cellar. He’s on his feet, Ronda in his hand, and taking a step towards the stairs when he realizes it’s just Cuyle. Between pants he manages to tell them that Shelley needs more people to deal with the snatchers, and Ron doesn’t hesitate. Once he knows where he’s going he hefts Ronda and runs up the stairs. As Ames calls after him, telling him to smash a skull for him, he half-turns and grins at the man. ”You know I will,” he says with the confidence in his own abilities the others have come accustomed to. He then does a double take when he sees that Bellamy now looks different. This is very confusing and he really wishes people would stop doing that, but this is hardly the time for that conversation. He just makes a mental note not to hammer the strange-looking Doc.

When they get out on the street, Cyprian heads in the direction of the bridge, but Ron grabs his arm, stopping him. ”That’s not the best way, there are always guards patrolling this time of night. I know the quickest way,” he says, taking the lead. Ron is using the City Secrets background ability to travel twice as fast to the bridge.The route he selects goes through alleys and on two occasions through people’s houses. Ron doesn’t even offer apologies to the family of six who are eating dinner in their single-room lean-too when he barges through an open window, runs past the table and through the front door. Shelley needs them, and she needs them now.

OOC
 

 
__________________
People say I'm evil and twisted, but I really have the heart of a young boy. In a jar, on my desk.

I have taken the Oath of Sangus.

Last edited by kymrel; 02-06-2019 at 10:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-06-2019, 10:46 AM
AmonBlackwood's Avatar
AmonBlackwood AmonBlackwood is offline
Precisely when I mean to.
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-22-2019
RPXP: 729
AmonBlackwood AmonBlackwood AmonBlackwood AmonBlackwood AmonBlackwood AmonBlackwood AmonBlackwood
Posts: 884
Ada
left-aligned image


Ada carefully unloads cargo from the boats, trying to keep her cool. It's fine Ada, just let Cyprian do the talking. She focuses on the task at hand to distract from the potential unraveling of the situation as Ames examines their boats.

In the smoke-filled cellar, Ada is glad she hasn't unloaded any gear or weapons as the runner explains the situation. Snatchers..? It's as if the Dawnfather himself has placed this in front of me. Perhaps my faith wasn't misplaced that there is some measure of honor amongst thieves and smugglers.. She leaps to her feet, ignited by the task at hand and a drive to protect her companions that had followed her to the Hells and back. "Blades and a little sunlight to purge this filth.." she mutters as she straps on her shield and produces her brass lamp.

Ada is in the back of the pack and catches Ron's reroute. She follows as fast as her legs allow, Stealth check, 14trying to stick to the shadows as best she can.



Action Block
Movement: Follow Ron!
Action: Dash
Reaction: Be prepared to cast Warding Flare (impose Disadvantage) if an enemy attacks Ada within 30 ft.


 
__________________
Posting Status:
Mon-Fri: Anytime
Weekends: Slow

PM if you need to get a hold of me quickly.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-07-2019, 03:23 AM
4eyedBadger's Avatar
4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-24-2019
RPXP: 1216
4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger
Posts: 1,645
The Stilben Slums
Ron sets a hard pace on the run to the slums! For a big man, he can move, and he knows these alleys better than most anybody in Stilben. He’s fast, but he’s not quiet, breaking out the boards of a fence to bypass an entire block of the old city. He keeps an eye out for the Waterwatch, but he doesn’t see any of the policemen in their usual spots.

The rest of his group has trouble keeping up with the big barbarian, but the trail of broken boards, overturned tables and bewildered looks on the faces of common folk who have been shoved aside points the way toward Pauper’s Bridge.

From the merchant quarter, Confire similarly struggles to keep up with Alys. The girl is less destructive than Ron, vaulting low fences in stride and leaping over the stone walls that mark the property lines of the wealthy. Confire is barely able to keep the monk in sight as she rushes across town toward the slums. There are Waterwatch here, but they seem distracted, often seen moving in groups in the distance down the wide boulevards. The route Alys chooses avoids the open plazas and main thoroughfares, so the pair passes quickly and unseen from the area and disappears into the shadows of the old city.

Nearing Pauper’s Bridge, Ron slows down and looks for Shelley. What he sees is Confire and a girl running in from the market street to his right. Cyprian, Talia, Ada and Doc catch up as Ron gestures over toward Confire and the girl. In the light of the street lamps she looks almost blue. Her strikingly white hair ripples like whitecaps breaking on the shore.

Confire sees Ron and the others. He brings Alys over to join them. After a questioning look at the dark-skinned illusion that is Bellamy, he scans the slum shacks on this side of the bridge with his keen vision.

From an alley on the far side of the street, a dark, hooded figure emerges and runs silently toward them. Throwing back her hood, Addison Shelley nods seriously at the group. Placing a hand on Confire’s shoulder, she says, "Have you been to see Meela? She’s well." Noticing Bellamy’s unfamiliar face, she asks, "Who’s this?" After a brief explanation, Shelley nods. "I see we have much to discuss when this is over. For now, I’m glad you’re back. There’s ugly work to be done." Pointing back across the street she lays out the situation. "Just through these alleys is the bridge. We’ve traced the bastards here, whoever they are. I’ve seen three of them standing outside, but our informants say that more occupy all of the rooms on the bridge. I have a few of Spireling Ch’sarr’s Blades positioned on the far side of the bridge, waiting. Now that you’re here, I’m going to join them. Give me two minutes to get around to the other side. Split up and take positions between those houses, there...there...and there." She points to the narrow spaces across the street. "When you’re ready, hit them hard from this side. Hopefully that will flush the devils out of their den onto the other side, where we’ll be waiting to cut them down." Shelley looks to each of you, a grim seriousness in her determined features. "Be careful. It’s tight quarters in there; a real rat’s nest. Watch your backs and keep moving. I’ll see you on the other side." After a brief pause, Shelley pulls her hood up and sets off down the street. She is joined by one of her Shadows who had been secreted behind a shack, and the pair disappear into an alley further down the street.

OOC

Okay, the shacks and slums that aren’t blacked out are the abandoned houses, drug dens, seedy flophouses, and urchin hideouts that you’d expect to find in a slum. They might be empty or have assorted non-combatants in them if you choose to enter one for some reason. The robed figures are the enemy. The blacked out areas are the rooms and shacks on the bridge that the enemy occupy. You can see where the doors are. All of the doors are closed. Kicking or breaking down a door requires a bonus action and a DC 10 Strength check.

The enemies are currently unaware of you. If you want to keep it that way, beat their passive perception of 10 with a Stealth check. They have an AC of 13. We’ll roll Initiative once they become aware of you, but for now you can act in any order.

Don’t forget you can move through a friendly creature’s space with no penalty. I just kind of divided you up and placed you based on what seemed reasonable (Ron sticking with “the boss”, Confire and Alys who arrived together, etc.) If you want me to adjust your starting positions let me know quickly before stuff starts happening please

kymrel, let’s both try to roll better this time. I don’t want a repeat of that stage fighting whiff-fest that was Jana and Ron! It was like Rocky III in Saltend Wharf
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-07-2019, 05:18 AM
Lazer's Avatar
Lazer Lazer is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-25-2019
RPXP: 2121
Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer
Posts: 1,465
The waiting is the hardest part, waiting for Shelley to get into position. Confire’s breathing is ragged and his eyes wild. He paces the alleyway like a caged beast.

"Will you stop that?" he snaps at Alys, then feels guilty when he remembers that she had saved his daughter from these people already. He shakes his head to clear it and then offers an uncharacteristic apology. "Sorry. I just want to get moving."

And then he peeks round the corner and sees two robed figures apparently guarding the entrance to the bridge. He starts to fantasise about what he will do to them, imagining them twisting and writhing in pain. But first he wants them scared. He wants to see them cower, to know that they messed with the wrong girl and to truly regret every decision they made in their lives which led up to this point. As the seconds tick by he calls on the power in his crystal and his eyes seem to burst into flames. He doesn’t speak, but he makes it so that when he does, his voice will fill the area. And then he causes the flames in the nearby torches to start burning a thick blood red. He tries to think of something cold to say, some phrase that would light their fear and make them cower before him, but everything just seems so empty. He’ll just have to wing it.

His preparations over, he steps out of the alley and calmly walks towards the guards, eyes literally blazing.

"YOU HAVE CHOSEN THE WRONG SIDE," he intones, his voice causing some of the more shoddily-built shacks to vibrate, "NOW YOU WILL PAY!"

Not the most original thought, but hopefully the special effects will obscure that fact.

He lifts his stump and points it at the nearest figure, causing a blast of power to jet out towards him, but the figure manages to duck out of the way just in time and Confire snarls in frustration.

OOC
 

 
__________________
I’m not managing to get to a computer much at the moment so I’m only posting from my phone. Some delays are likely.

Last edited by Lazer; 02-07-2019 at 05:19 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-07-2019, 11:31 PM
Odyssey's Avatar
Odyssey Odyssey is offline
Epic Level Enchatment
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-25-2019
RPXP: 2374
Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey
Posts: 1,424
Cyprian Thoros
right-aligned image
In some ways, Cyprian looked forward to the fight. The inevitable, uncomfortable topic of the Saltend Wharf fiasco was put off, for now.

He peeked around the corner at the placement of the hooded figures. In his mind, he counted the seconds ticking by, waiting for the set time to attack the Spireling had set. He was about to confer with Ron when a thunderous voice boomed though the air. The voice was unmistakable. A flash of crackling, arcane light followed the voice, and the magic streaked across and blasted the side of the building, visibly shaking boards loose.

Cyprian half sighed, half muttered, “Gods…” He had expected this, and was not the least bit surprised. Confire’s overt and dramatic style had benefits, the man just had to discern when and where that style made for the best outcome. As luck would have it, the distraction did lead to an opening for a deadly strike.

Perfect.

He sprung around the corner and darted toward his target. While their back was turned,23 hit, 25 damage he drove blade clean through their gut, and out the other side. The hooded figure didn’t live long enough to make a sound. Only a small, dying breath escaped. Cyprian slid his sword free and let the corpse fall at his feet, ready for the next target.


StatBlock
 
__________________
Posting Status:
Slow: Thurs-Mon
Normal: Tue-Wed

I took the Oath of Sangus
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-07-2019, 11:54 PM
Syne's Avatar
Syne Syne is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-25-2019
RPXP: 7171
Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne
Posts: 1,910
Alys
left-aligned image
Alys was bouncing again. She'd kept quiet in front of the Spireling, not wanting to risk being sent away before she could make her mark. Then she'd spent some time eyeing the others that Shelley had assembled. The group gathered at Pauper's Bridge was an odd one, not really matching Alys' conception of smugglers. The men and women felt slightly out of sync, much like Confire himself had felt at Meela's home. Hard people, some of them; the bald guy had the look of an enforcer, and the cloaked guy just gave her the creeps. Still, when they'd been assigned their spots, Alys had went along with a grin. She was feeling loose and light, and the familiar motion helped channel the nervous energy she was feeling...and drew a rather harsh rebuke from Confire. She shrugged off the apology, even though it did sting a bit. "'sfar as I'm concerned, this is Shelley's show, then yours. Family is family." Even if her only family was one she'd chosen, even Alys understood that much...though as she said it, her hand did stray to one of the pouches at her waist, and the ring within it.

She wasn't sure Confire even heard the remark. She watched, part awed and part terrified, as he strode out, voice booming, and hurling magic. She was very still, suddenly, and for a moment she froze. Get it together, Alys! She was moving, suddenly, ducking past Confire with a move she'd perfected running the streets. The shortsword she carried for protection felt like a lead weight in the thin sheath strapped to her back. Instead, she went with the familiar, diving into a sliding tackle, feet first. She skidded past instead as the kidnapper jumped out of the way. Alys grinned, though; she was faster. Throwing her weight forward, Alys was back on her feet, and she spun with the momentum and drove her elbow into their side. "Feel like going after kids, huh? Maybe pick on someone more your size!" It didn't sound like much. If anyone asked, she'd have to say she was trying to be ironic.
StatBlock
 
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-08-2019, 03:27 AM
Vislands's Avatar
Vislands Vislands is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-25-2019
RPXP: 2336
Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands
Posts: 1,464
Bellamy hurried through the streets of Stilben, an unfamiliar face that elicited little more than curious glances from locals who would usual have bothered her for some cure or other. I could get used to this, the half-orc thinks, moving somewhat gracelessly for a woman wearing nothing but a simple shirt and pantaloons. Before long she arrived at the bridge, and before she could take in the situation a familiar voice booms over the shady alleyways.

"YOU HAVE CHOSEN THE WRONG SIDE", the voice which could only belong to Confire, only immensely loud, booms through the air, sending the wood of the rickety buildings rattling. Sounds of violence begin to ring through the dark and Bellamy reaches behind her, retrieving her shield- to anyone looking at the illusion she wore, it appeared as though she reached behind her back and pulled the blood-stained shield from air. She runs forward and reaches for her occult magic, her eyes catching sight of the cloaked figure meant to be guarding the door.

Bellamy raises her shield before her and says, "Flow!" Her shield glows baleful red in the darkness and she feels a rush of warmth and sudden clarity as her blood begins to pump. Her cheeks burn with vital heat and this energy swells and proves too much to be contained within her. From the corner of her eye she catches the black robes of Cyprian and the face of a young woman, almost bluish, and with a sigh she releases the vital energy from her, wrapping them both in its heat.



StatBlock
 

Last edited by Vislands; 02-08-2019 at 03:28 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-08-2019, 12:30 PM
4eyedBadger's Avatar
4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-24-2019
RPXP: 1216
4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger
Posts: 1,645
Pauper’s Bridge
right-aligned image
The young woman in the dark-cowled robes gasps in shock at Confire’s sudden display, a flash of fear visible on her smooth face. She steels herself quickly, however, and hisses at his threat. "I chose no side, fool! The Great Mother chose me! And it is you who will suffer!" She ducks to the side to avoid the warlock’s blast of eldritch power and laughs madly at him! The laughter cuts off sharply in a violent grunt when, seemingly from nowhere, Alys’ elbow drives hard into her lungs!

The second cultist, a sneering man with a bad complexion, watches the scene play out through gritted, yellow teeth. Reaching for his curved dagger, he looks like he is about to step toward Confire when the narrow point of a rapier bursts through his stomach. The man looks down, frothy spittle forming at the edges of his mouth, and falls face-forward at Cyprian’s feet onto the splintered boards of Pauper’s Bridge. A pool of blood soaks into the weather-worn wood beneath his still body.

"They are coming! Protect the Speaker!!" The deep voice rings out from the narrow walkway between the shacks of the bridge. The man’s red robes can be seen moving in the lamplight as he shouts and reaches for his own dagger. The sudden sounds of booted feet, drawn weapons and cries of alarm can be heard within the makeshift buildings on both sides of the tired old bridge.

OOCSince the cultists are surprised this round, they can’t take any actions or move. You can all take your turn now. Syne, after the first round of initiative, I just go to each side taking their turn together rather than trying to wait and manage everybody going in their specific initiative order. Technically Ron, Ada, and Talia are taking their first turn at the end of round one and Alys, Cyprian, Confire, and Doc are taking their second turn at the beginning of round two, but don’t worry about that and post in any order to keep it moving along. This makes Initiative important for the first round to see if you get to do anything before the enemies, but not so important after that.

Cyprian and Alys, don’t forget your d4 Bless bonus from Doc when you roll

Last edited by 4eyedBadger; 02-08-2019 at 12:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-08-2019, 12:33 PM
4eyedBadger's Avatar
4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-24-2019
RPXP: 1216
4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger
Posts: 1,645
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-08-2019, 01:47 PM
Drachenspirit's Avatar
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit is offline
CommunityCoffee Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-24-2019
RPXP: 9912
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Posts: 10,883
Talia
left-aligned image
Talia was glad to be back, and she didn't say much as they went to unload the cargo, which of course she did very little of.

Hearing about Confire's family, she wanted to go along with him, but seeing that the Clasp had things under control...

Then hearing there was to be a fight, she realized they didn't have things in hand, and rushed along with the others to help.

Once there, she was still taking things in when the others reacted and took out one of the adversaries. Dagger in each hand, she moved to action

She dashed across the bridge, looking for a target, and the first one she saw, she left
Dice 1st dagger:
1d20+5sch13 (16)+5 Total = 21
→ 1d4+5g (1)+5 Total = 6
Dice 2nd dagger:
1d20+5sch13 (20 (natural 20))+5   Total = 25
→ 1d4+5g (3)+5 Total = 8
Dice CRITICAL HIT!!!:
1d4+5 (3)+5 Total = 8
both her daggers go in a flight to kill.


 
__________________
Posting Status: Normal is as Normal does.

Last edited by Drachenspirit; 02-08-2019 at 01:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:53 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2019, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB