RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > The Breaking of Exandria > Game Thread Archive
twitter google facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #346  
Old 05-23-2019, 09:19 AM
AmonBlackwood's Avatar
AmonBlackwood AmonBlackwood is offline
Precisely when I mean to.
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-22-2019
RPXP: 729
AmonBlackwood AmonBlackwood AmonBlackwood AmonBlackwood AmonBlackwood AmonBlackwood AmonBlackwood
Posts: 884
Ada
left-aligned image


Ada feels a bit hopeful watching her friends pummel and cut at the huge creature, especially after seeing Alys attack from above and visibly stun it. Alright, now's the time!

Turning to her right, she sees Cyprian hop out of the wagon. He still looks pained in his efforts, so she infuses her call with the Dawnfather's energy. "Cast Healing Word on Cyprian. 7 HP.NOW!"

While rushing over to Confire's side, Ada hooks her lamp to her belt. With her free arm and shield hand, she attempts to Grapple Check - 16enfold her wayward ally in a crushing bear hug. "I don't know if you can hear me Confire, stop!!" No sound exited her mouth as she yelled. It was as if the air had been sucked away from where she stood.



 


 
__________________
Posting Status:
Mon-Fri: Anytime
Weekends: Slow

PM if you need to get a hold of me quickly.

Last edited by AmonBlackwood; 05-23-2019 at 03:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #347  
Old 05-23-2019, 10:14 AM
Odyssey's Avatar
Odyssey Odyssey is offline
Epic Level Enchatment
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-25-2019
RPXP: 2374
Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey
Posts: 1,424
Cyprian Thoros
right-aligned image
Cyprian saw Giran, but the man clearly didn’t see him crouched behind the wagon. A moment later, something hit into him, an otherworldly form of...Was it magic? Cyprian wasn’t sure, but the old soldier seemed to have locked up, his gaze far away and frozen in fear. Bellamy was shouting. He peeked around the wagon to see her rushing across the courtyard for Confire, Ada not too far behind. Now, with all the magic healing in his system, he felt better than he had been for awhile.

The alien monster still raged, Talia and Alys locked in battle with it. Ron came raging in moments later. Black curses. Everything went deathly quiet, all sound coming to a horrifying stop. A moment of panic and shock prevailed before his rational mind believed that, whatever just happened, it could’ve been Bellamy’s doing. It looked as if she had cast something.

Cyprian sprinted out from behind cover toward Confire as Bellamy did the same. Ada raced over and pulled Confire into a tight grip, she was yelling something but Bellamy's the spell made her mute.

That d*mn tablet needed to go. As he darted for the mage, questions flashed through his mind in an instant. Should he just kill him, or try to take the tablet? Would taking it do anything? What if it didn’t?

With no more time to think about it, he attempted to take the tablet away from Confire.


StatBlock
 
__________________
Posting Status:
Slow: Thurs-Mon
Normal: Tue-Wed

I took the Oath of Sangus

Last edited by Odyssey; 05-23-2019 at 03:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #348  
Old 05-23-2019, 03:27 PM
Lazer's Avatar
Lazer Lazer is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-25-2019
RPXP: 2121
Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer
Posts: 1,465
Confire Star Spawn"She knows…" Suddenly Confire found that no words were coming out of its mouth. It paused for a moment, apparently deciding on its next move, and then turned as though on a wheel. Ada was barrelling towards it, arms outstretched, and grabbed it. The old Confire would have been outraged at the indignity, but this version was completely impassive. It saw Cyprian reaching for its tablet, and with a gesture a great tear in space itself swallowed it whole, and spat out the blue monster instead!

At the other end of the courtyard Confire appeared where the beast had been just a moment before and took in the enemies arrayed against it. There was no sign of recognition in the blackening eyes, no sign of any expression at all. And now that it was out of the area of Bellamy’s spell the words were coming again, a torrent of void-speak painful to the ears, then with an almost lazy twirl of the staff, another rent in space swallowed it once again, only for it to reappear off to the north west.

It raised the staff once again and sent two great balls of fizzing blackness blasting towards the gatehouse, straight towards the blue beast! One went wide but the other hit it head-on and what happened next can only be described as a huge explosion of black madness. The creature stood in the middle completely unharmed, while everyone nearby was pummelled.

Swivelling away again, Confire moved away to the far corner of the courtyard.

OOC
 
__________________
I’m not managing to get to a computer much at the moment so I’m only posting from my phone. Some delays are likely.

Last edited by Lazer; 05-25-2019 at 04:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #349  
Old 05-24-2019, 02:13 AM
4eyedBadger's Avatar
4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-24-2019
RPXP: 1216
4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger
Posts: 1,645
The Grassy GnollThe alien flesh of the Star-Spawned Hulk writhes in Ada’s grasp where Confire’s robes had been an instant before. The hulk itself does not move, and Ada can see it’s rows of beady eyes staring blankly at her in the magical silence. She can feel a strange depression in its back where Ron’s hammer smashed its body. Before the priest of the Dawnfather can recoil in horror, an Orb of Psychic energy strikes the hulk full force. There is a painful flash as visions of desolate cities, fields of dead bodies, and snapshots of unspeakable, insane violence washes over Ada. She sees Cyprian dive out of the way to avoid the worst of the effect, but Doc and Giran also take the brunt of it.

Giran, who had not fully recovered from the wounds the orcs gave him, crumples to the ground. For a moment, it seems like he will fall, but the old soldier rises on shaky legs. With the source of his worst terror gone, his hand tightens around the hilt of his sword once more. The words he screams are lost in Bellamy’s magical silence, but the wrath behind them is evident as he brings his sword down again and again on the stunned alien, cutting deep grooves in its thickly muscled hide! Thick, amber-colored blood seeps from the wounds.

Thadulos emerges from his workshop at a run, his pike leveled at Confire the Seer. A glance from Confire’s unworldly face throws the centaur just enough, and the pike misses its mark. Instead, he rears up, pummeling the Mother’s Mage with his powerful hooves, just as Bud comes running out of the tavern into the middle of the fight!

OOC
 

Last edited by 4eyedBadger; 05-24-2019 at 04:54 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #350  
Old 05-24-2019, 02:47 AM
Vislands's Avatar
Vislands Vislands is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-25-2019
RPXP: 2336
Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands
Posts: 1,464
A jagged bolt of pain rips through Bellamy's head, a tsunami of psychic pain, noise and violence that rattles her teeth and almost brings her to her knees. Where Confire had been before there was now the other monster and Confire was all the way on the other side of the courtyard. She grips her head with one hand, while holding her silver warhammer with the other and her grip on the silencing spell slips.

Heat begins to run through her veins as she opens the gate inside her into the realm from which she pulled her blood magic. "Harvest," She says and her scythe appears again, this time at the Hulk's side. It's spectral blade carves into the beast's side, easily finding flesh as the thing stood there somehow stunned.

"Ron!" she huffs, pointing at Confire, "Bad men are making Confire do bad things, put him to sleep! But don't kill him! Put him to sleep!" Doc begins to run across the courtyard and from her belt she draws a hand axe, pelting it after Confire with all her strength. Throwing weapons isn't her specialty though, and the hand axe flies off harmlessly into the bushes.


StatBlock
 
Reply With Quote
  #351  
Old 05-24-2019, 05:39 AM
kymrel's Avatar
kymrel kymrel is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-25-2019
RPXP: 2458
kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel
Posts: 2,164
Ronald ‘One-Bone’ Devyn
right-aligned image
As Ron readies his hammer for another blow against the creature, which seems to be fully occupied by Alys raining down blows, the thing just suddenly vanishes. It is replaced by Confire, floating with a vague look on his face. ”Oi, what’s…” is all Ron manages to say before Confire blinks out of existence.

Ron has mastered fully the look of confusion and now draws on his vast experience as he looks around the courtyard. Strangely, the blue lizard-thing is now over there, far too close to Ada for Ron’s comfort. Bellamy shouts something about Confire, but Ron isn’t paying attention. This thing needs to die. Now. He can worry about what is presumably trying to kill Confire later. Ada is his friend. He isn’t so sure about Confire, so he’ll save Ada first.

Wordlessly, Ron barrels forward, running at full speed into the creature from behind, dislodging it from Ada. The blue-skinned monster seems stunned by this development, or perhaps by Confire trading places with it, and falls to the ground, landing heavily on its side. Like so many other poor creatures that have ended up on the ground in front of Ron, it’s in for a world of pain. And Ron assumes it can feel pain.

He starts by landing a heavy blow from Ronda right on the side of the hip. He can feel bones breaking, the hip shattering with the heavy overhand blow. But he isn’t finished, and as the stunned creature can’t protect itself, he raises the heavy hammer again, this time trying to bring it down on the right shoulder of the alien lizard-thing. This thing needs to be taught a lesson. Never mess with Ron's friends. At the last second, it shifts a little, perhaps trying to get away from the blow. Two attacks hit AC 27 and 23 doing 17 and 16 bludgeoning damage.Ronda still connects with enough force to break cobblestone, but instead of hitting the shoulder the blow hits the creature’s neck, killing it instantly. Although Ron is a little annoyed to have killed it too quickly, he accepts that it has, perhaps, learned its lesson.

Ron looks around slowly, trying to see if there is anything else he should be killing. He sees the small rat-thing again and tries to remember if he should be smushing that against the ground. He honestly can’t remember, all he can recall is that at some point he was thinking about killing it. So he heads in the direction of the furry-looking rat.

OOC
 

 
__________________
People say I'm evil and twisted, but I really have the heart of a young boy. In a jar, on my desk.

I have taken the Oath of Sangus.

Last edited by kymrel; 05-24-2019 at 05:42 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #352  
Old 05-24-2019, 09:32 AM
AmonBlackwood's Avatar
AmonBlackwood AmonBlackwood is offline
Precisely when I mean to.
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-22-2019
RPXP: 729
AmonBlackwood AmonBlackwood AmonBlackwood AmonBlackwood AmonBlackwood AmonBlackwood AmonBlackwood
Posts: 884
Ada
left-aligned image


Ada stumbles back as Confire disappears and she finds her arms wrapped around the great hulk. What in the.. Suddenly, she is assaulted by a torrent of powerful energy. In her mind's eye, it feels like she surveys the ruins of a hundred worlds before she snaps back to the yard of the Gnoll. Her breath is ragged and her eyes burn.

"We've.. got to.. she stammers as Ron and Bellamy fell the beast. It crashes to the yard with a *CRUNCH* as Ada turns to Confire, who is floating with intent away from them.

Recovering, Ada stomps Diagonally 3 northwest, then 3 west. Above left stable door.along the wall of the stables, heaving to catch her breath and steady her hands.

She yells across the yard as she sees Thadulos and Bud surround the mage, "Try not to kill him, our friend is still in there somewhere!" Worried about hurting Confire herself, but utterly unwilling to let him abscond with the tablet to darker deeds, she lets energy rush down her arm. Pointing her finger at Confire's back, she Guiding Bolt - 26 vs. AC, 13 radiant dmg.hits him squarely with a bright bolt of the Dawnfather's light. For a few moments, he is Next attack has advantage.bathed in holy light.



 


 
__________________
Posting Status:
Mon-Fri: Anytime
Weekends: Slow

PM if you need to get a hold of me quickly.

Last edited by AmonBlackwood; 05-24-2019 at 09:34 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #353  
Old 05-24-2019, 02:45 PM
Odyssey's Avatar
Odyssey Odyssey is offline
Epic Level Enchatment
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-25-2019
RPXP: 2374
Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey
Posts: 1,424
Cyprian Thoros
right-aligned image
Cyprian reached for the tablet but suddenly Confire wasn’t there. HeReaction: Uncanny Dodge jumped back, his head burning and was nearly pushed aside by the sudden appearance of the colossal reptilian nightmare. It had seemingly apparated where Confire had once stood. It roared, but there was nothing but silence. Before it could rend anyone apart, however, it jerked twice and fell, the earth shuddering under its weight. Cyprian looked up and Ron beside it, his hammer slick with its blood.

Cyprian searched the courtyard for where the mad mage had gone and spotted him on the far side. He sprinted for the well and all at once the sounds crashing came back. He reached for an arrow as he shouted at Alys and Talia. “Get on Confire, for hells’ sake! He’s got the d*mn tablet!”

He skidded to a stop behind the covered well. It would go terribly wrong for him, armored in only a wool shirt, to get hit by whatever Confire had been slinging around recently. Once there, the assassin popped up over the top of the well, sighting down the arrow before releasing it at the divine glowing mage, thanks to Ada. The 24 to hit, 16 damage arrow zipped and lodged into Confire and Cyprian ducked low once more, keeping himself out of direct view.

Grimly, a thought slipped by. Maybe Giran had it right. He should take up drinking after this. If there was an after.


StatBlock
 
__________________
Posting Status:
Slow: Thurs-Mon
Normal: Tue-Wed

I took the Oath of Sangus
Reply With Quote
  #354  
Old 05-25-2019, 09:08 AM
Syne's Avatar
Syne Syne is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-25-2019
RPXP: 7171
Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne
Posts: 1,910
Alys
left-aligned image
Alys looked up, shocked as the creature vanished replaced by...Confire? He didn't look right. The tablet had done a number on the grumpy mage. What's wrong with his eyes?! This was far beyond anything Alys had encountered, except maybe the Speaker back at the bridge. She froze in place for a fraction of a second, but that was enough for space to warp around Confire once more, causing him to vanish.

She spotted him easily enough at the other end of the courtyard; people were screaming and shouting now, but above the fray she could hear Cyprian.

“Get on Confire, for hells’ sake! He’s got the d*mn tablet!”

Right. Alys ran, but Confire was too far and already preparing some more of that twisted...whatever sort of magic he was doing now. As she moved she felt the water within twist and she used it, shaped it, and everything else fell away. Alys raised a hand to her chest then pointed directly at Confire. A tether of water followed, wrapping around the possessed mage, strangely solid. Then Alys pulled back with all her strength. "Wake the hell up Confire!"

StatBlock
 
Reply With Quote
  #355  
Old 05-26-2019, 01:37 AM
4eyedBadger's Avatar
4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-24-2019
RPXP: 1216
4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger
Posts: 1,645
Talia Cat
left-aligned image
Talia is on the move before Alys’ water whip has even finished pulling Confire across the courtyard! With her keen, almost feline grace, the shifter sprints forward and leaps through the air, spinning as she brings one shortsword around in a dizzying arc! The sword glances off an invisible wall of force that surrounds and protects the warlock’s body.

But Talia is fast. She had begun a stroke with her second sword even before the first one misses. This time she plunges the thin steel through the invisible barrier and sinks it into Confire’s stomach! Beads of water dampen the blade as it passes through Alys’ animated stream!

Smiling her crooked smile, Talia throws a quick wink at the young monk next to her. "Nice trick, Alys-girl! But I wouldn’t stay too close to him." In a single motion, the rogue withdraws her sword from Confire’s billowing robes and shoulder-rolls away toward the barn before he can retaliate!
OOC
 

Last edited by 4eyedBadger; 05-26-2019 at 01:41 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #356  
Old 05-28-2019, 02:39 PM
Lazer's Avatar
Lazer Lazer is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-25-2019
RPXP: 2121
Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer
Posts: 1,465
Confire Star SpawnStill expressionless, Confire shook free of the water that had grabbed him and turned on its attackers once again. It raised the staff high, chanting louder now in voidspeak, it turned on Ada, weaving dark tendrils of magic around her, and then suddenly swinging the staff around, causing the very air around her to bend and buckle!

OOC
 
__________________
I’m not managing to get to a computer much at the moment so I’m only posting from my phone. Some delays are likely.
Reply With Quote
  #357  
Old 05-28-2019, 04:49 PM
kymrel's Avatar
kymrel kymrel is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-25-2019
RPXP: 2458
kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel
Posts: 2,164
Ronald ‘One-Bone’ Devyn
right-aligned image
Ron looks around wildly, trying to find the little rat-person. He still isn’t sure he’s supposed to smear it all over the ground, but for now that sounds likely so he tries to find it with no success. As he looks around, Ada shouts something about killing friends and Cyprian orders the rest of them to get Confire.

Ron needs no further explanation, with long, powerful steps he rushes the wizard as he chants and creates tendrils of magic that surround Ada. ”Don’t do that!” the enforcer admonishes the unnaturally calm-looking Confire as he thrusts at his mouth with Ronda. Perhaps breaking a few teeth will snap him back to reality? Reckless attack hits AC 18, Confire casts Shield as reaction, saving him from taking damageAt the last possible moment, Confire chants a word and makes a sweeping motion with his good hand and Ronda skidders off a magical barrier of some description. Ron isn’t focused on that, not focused on much at all. Other than stopping the magic user before he can use his black tendrils to kill Ada or the others.

He brings Ronda’s head back and this time swings at Confire with full force, aiming for his shoulder. He can feel the resistance from the spell, but Reckless attack hits AC 27 doing 18 bludgeoning damagehis powerful strike, fueled in part by the soul of the giant that now calls Ronda its home breaks through the magical barrier. It is a blow that should have left Confire broken, lying in a fetal position begging for his life, but it doesn’t do much more than batter him backwards a step. Ron blinks slowly. He’s going to need to hit the entirely unreasonably calm and un-enraged Confire even harder next time.

OOC
 

 
__________________
People say I'm evil and twisted, but I really have the heart of a young boy. In a jar, on my desk.

I have taken the Oath of Sangus.
Reply With Quote
  #358  
Old 05-29-2019, 09:37 AM
4eyedBadger's Avatar
4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-24-2019
RPXP: 1216
4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger
Posts: 1,645
A Centaur’s WrathConfire’s voice falls across the courtyard like distant, echoing thunder. "Flame bows down at her approach. Even the bolts of heaven are turned aside."

Something snaps in the normally stoic centaur! The day’s constant assault on his peaceful home ignites a rage within his wild heart! With a fierce roar, his hooves dig in to the hard packed soil of the yard. His large, warrior’s body charges toward the Star-Spawned herald of horror!

Confire does not move, showing no signs of panic, even as the tip of Thadulos’ pike bursts through the shielding spell and sinks into the lean flesh between the man’s narrow shoulders! His anger unsated, the centaur spins, kicking madly like a stallion of the plains! His hind hoof finds Confire’s ribs, audibly crushing several.

Bud starts to rush to help his big friend, but Thadulos shouts at the little Burrowling. "No! Protect Leviya and the others!" Bud hesitates for only a second before he ducks back in the tavern door and slams it shut. A second later, Doc can hear the scrape of wood as a timber is dropped into place behind the closed door.

Heavy footfalls in the barn behind her cause Ada to glance over her shoulder. Giran approaches, booted, but still in his sleeping gown. He is in obvious pain as he crouches near her, his sword held ready. "Curse this day! What’s come over the world?"

OOC
 

Last edited by 4eyedBadger; 05-29-2019 at 09:38 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #359  
Old 05-30-2019, 09:14 PM
Syne's Avatar
Syne Syne is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-25-2019
RPXP: 7171
Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne
Posts: 1,910
Alys
left-aligned image
Alys' attack had pulled him in, now the rest of the party and the residents of the Grassy Gnoll were charging at the mad warlock. Good. Her face was set, halfway between a snarl and a frown. She knew this idiot, even liked him more than most. Whatever he'd done with the tablet could be undone, right?

Unfortunately, Alys wasn't a mage. She wasn't a scholar. She wasn't a priest. She was a fighter who'd spent her whole life going where her instincts dictated, and right now those instincts said that Confire needed to be punched in the face. So that's what Alys did.

The first two blows don't have the power to get past whatever magic was wrapped around him and keeping Confire up after the beating he'd taken. Alys swung haymakers at him but they didn't find purchase. She growled, angry, and felt a surge of water from deep within, the bursting of a dam and the flooding of a river. She moved, stronger, more precise, her fist meeting Confire's nose. "Wake!" The shout punctuated the blow as she stepped back, winding up another punch that flowed from her shoulder as she pivoted, catching him in the jaw this time. "Up!"

Aly sagged back, suddenly exhausted. Her internal furious rapids faded until they were replaced with the faintest drips. She was just about done, now.
StatBlock
 
Reply With Quote
  #360  
Old 06-02-2019, 01:15 PM
hafrogman's Avatar
hafrogman hafrogman is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-25-2019
RPXP: 3280
hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman
Posts: 1,520
Verdigris
right-aligned image
Verdigris couldn't shake an itch in his scales as he walked away into the trees. Was he making a mistake? The dream's warning was still fresh in his mind. But he shook off the nagging feeling with a toss of his head. That was different. The lure of darkness and the void contrasted sharply with the teeming life of the K'Tawl swamp around him.

Still, it bothered him more than a little to leave his friends behind. Family was an unfamiliar sensation, but not a foreign or at all unwelcome concept. He hadn't known them all that long, and he'd have trouble putting his exact feelings into words, but 'family'. 'Family' felt right. Still, it was better this way. Them to their lives and him to his.

It was hours later that the night breeze blowing in from the sea brought the faint smell of smoke into the swamplands. A bronze scaled lizard clambered up a tree, looking south. In the distance, the city burned.



Days later, Verdigris lay on his back in the sedge, staring upwards at an almost impossibly tall yew tree. It seemed almost out of place, piercing as it did through the canopy of the K'Tawl, but at the same time it belonged. The wilderness was this tree's home, any wilderness. He eyed the red berry-like seed pods that were growing at the end of one branch, and contemplated their implications. If the seed could mature and take root, would it grow into another tree? Or another staff? Perhaps if Luna ever returned for her staff, he would ask her if he might take a seed with him...

Eventually he was able to push his own idle thoughts to the back of his mind and sink himself wholly into the K'Tawl. He is now part of the swamp. No, he is the swamp. There are no parts. Where the salt water mingles with the fresh, where the plants nourish the animals, which in turn feed the predators. He is there, he is the cycle, every step of the journey. But there is also something wrong, like a painful wound cut across his face, he can feel where the K'Tawl has pulled away from the touch of corruption, like flesh from an infection. That has what has brought him back to this place.

A new sound pulled him back to his own body. His concentration had broken and with it, his tenuous link to the Wildmother and her realm. He looked around at the old campsite, nothing has moved. The pile of ashes remained still, but... there was something coming. Rising back to his feet, he lay one hand on the bole of the tree and murmured a word in druidic, a language he has never learned, but knows instinctively. Holding Melora's Blessing in his hand once again, he looked out towards the water.



"The Speaker will be missing us." Kimble sighed as he poled through the swamp towards an old smuggling campsite he knew of. He glanced down at the young woman sharing his boat and wondered, not for the first time, why he had brought her along. Sure, she was pretty enough, but it was increasingly obvious that she had really bought into the nonsense that the old woman had been peddling.

"I told you already. Speaker's dead. Just you and me now." Thea might have been a true believer, but like all the other endeavors of his life, Kimble had only been in it for the money. Once the Spirelings showed up and killed everyone else, well that had been a good time to take what he'd skimmed and cut out. Make for Saltend, and nobody the wiser. Well, that was the plan, anyways.

As they pulled the boat onto the wedge of dry land, a figure stepped out from the trees at the edge of the clearing and speaks in a halting, timid tongue. "This is a bad place." It shakes its head slowly. "No camp."

Kimble stared for a moment, trying to place the figure. One of them dragon people? From across the ocean? What's it doing here? I mean, he'd seen them at the port, but, this one looked familiar. Hadn't he seen this one with One-Bone a couple of weeks back? One-Bone... who worked for the Spireling of Shadows? The same Spireling of Shadows who would probably track down and kill anyone who had managed to escape the slaughter on Pauper’s Bridge? ...if she heard about them. His hand drifted down to the dagger at his belt, shaking his own head sadly, almost regretfully. "Sorry friend, you picked the wrong day to see us."

He spared a glance backwards to Thea, seeing if she was going to back him up. She actually looked more alert and active than she had for days. Had her eyes always been that dark? Her sudden shout brought chills down his spine. "Death to the false mother! Burn the infidel!"



A crocodile pulled itself up onto a bank and looked around at a small clearing in the swamp. If reptiles could sigh, this one did as it rose up onto its hind legs, elongating as it went. Verdigris strode into what was once Luna's camp. How long ago had it been since they had camped here on their way to Saltend? He was losing track, but he knew he had lost several days in his attempt to skirt Deathwailer territory. How long did he have to run before they stopped chasing him? How long did it take to find his path again afterwards? However long it had been, the girl had clearly since moved on. Gone was the tent, only cold ashes in the fire pit. He supposed he should have known as much. Nothing in their parting had suggested that she wanted or expected to see them again soon. He settled himself down with his back against a rock and let his thoughts carry him away again.

He didn't exactly regret killing the two humans, but he was always saddened by wasted life. Why had they attacked when he tried to warn them? The female in particular had seemed wrong, he was fairly sure that human eyes did not usually come in solid black like that. He shook his head to drive away the thoughts. She may have been broken, but her darkness had a different flavor. It wasn't the same as the taint that he could feel cutting through the swamp. He could feel it like an itch in his scales again, pointing him onwards. Was he so attuned to it now that he didn't need to listen for the Wildmother? Or was it just because he already knew where it would take him? He had been suspicious when the land's pain had led him to their first campsite, but now he was certain. It wasn't as fast without a boat, but swimming always got him where he was going in the end. Slowly, but surely, he was recreating the party's journey across the swamp. It took him a long while before his mind quieted to the point where he could feel himself become K'Tawl again. Practice had not made this process any easier. Instead, each leg of the journey only added to his own confusion and troubled thoughts, making it more and more difficult to reach out for the Mother.



Verdigris was careful to stand well out of sight, safely in the canopy's embrace, with Melora's Blessing wrapping the shadows deeper around him like a cloak . Even in the dark of night, he could not afford to be spotted by the people of Saltend Wharf. The group had not left here under auspicious circumstances. The town seemed untouched by the violence that had occurred here. Humans, people, are like that. Resilient, bending like reeds against the wind and then resuming their shape once it ebbs. As he had suspected, or feared, following the darkness had led him to this spot, but no further. This was the point at which they turned around and started their journey home. `Home`? His own thoughts give him sudden pause. He meant Stilben. So why, in his mind, did he use the word `home`? This land was home, the city was a loud, scary place full of foul odors and fouler people. How could it ever be home? He was so wrapped up in his own thoughts that he didn't even notice the dark figures pulling themselves out of the water nearby.

The first strikes land hard against the unsuspecting druid, and he stumbled backwards awkwardly as he struggles to regain his footing and his composure. The shadowy figures are still coming for him, six yellow eyes shining with animosity. He recognizes the creatures immediately, but those were all killed dead, burned to ashes. But even so, something about these two seems familiar. A mismatched pair, one tall and powerful, the other short and squat. He barely has time to get his bearings before they are upon him once more. The tall one faded away to nothing, and remembering their tricks, Verdigris spun away from it's foul touch. This placed him firmly in reach of the other however, but it received only a mouthful of dragon scales for its troubles. Outnumbered and surrounded, Verdigris reached out for the magic and wrapped it around him like a cloak. It had been a while since he had last fought these creatures, and he had a few new tricks up his sleeve. The creature gnawing futily at his scales suddenly found himself trying to grapple something much stronger, and hairier. The black bear reared back and roared defiance, swiping heavily at the fishman on its back. The smaller creature was sent flying, but claws and teeth could only do so much to its rotting hide and it quickly fades away while its companion easily sinks an intangible arm through hide and into flesh.

A dragonborn once again, Verdigris backs away from his foes, gripping Melora's Blessing tightly in one hand and nods defiance. "Magic then." Drawing on the mists rising from the swamp, he cloaks himself in magic once more, but of a less primal nature. Four ravenites face two ethereal fishmen and the battle begins again in earnest. It is hard fought, with the pair rapidly phasing in and out, requiring him to shift tactics just as quickly. Blood and ichor mingled with the swamp water, and every last drop of magic in his body was spent. But in the end, the smaller one finally collapsed, flesh burned away from dozens of scorching cuts. Its companion stared unblinking at the druid, battered and nearly broken itself, but clearly unafraid. Suddenly it stopped, as if heeding some unheard call and then it turned away, walking back into the swamp water. With it still alive, or at least animate, Verdigris knew it remains a threat, but he was in no condition to follow it that night. He watched it warily as it sank from view and he wondered if and when he will see it again. For now he must rest, and heal.



It had been hours, and the Ravenite almost wept from frustration. He could not feel the K'Tawl anymore, he could not touch the Wildmother. No matter how he tried, he could not calm his troubled mind enough to reach out to them. He had stayed in the swamp to find answers, and instead, each step had only brought more questions. Where had the new fishmen come from? Had they been following him? Had he been following them? Or had they both been following the mysterious sheet of metal? There were dark forces at work here, there, and all the world over it seemed. Why had Melora guided him all this way, only to abandon him? Verdigris collapsed down into himself, giving up his efforts. But it was in that very moment of defeat that the answer he sought finally came to him. He stood up and faced south, back towards Stilben suddenly resolute. The Wildmother had stopped guiding him because he already knew where he had to go. It was time to go home. Home isn't a place. Home is where your family is.
OOC
 
__________________
Characters: Verdigris | Gwarc | Mincemeat | Lark Velynn | Del Corgan

Last edited by hafrogman; 06-03-2019 at 05:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:53 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2019, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB