RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
twitter google facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 06-18-2019, 08:32 PM
GeneT's Avatar
GeneT GeneT is offline
Phial of Babel
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-19-2019
RPXP: 4413
GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT
Posts: 1,485
A Choice of Living

I should fly from this place.
right-aligned image

That is what I think when I look into Wuzruz and see what was inside him. What harbors deep in his flesh. I recoil from him and yank my hand away with such force I stumble away until my back slams against the wall of the mayor's house. Unconsciously I flicker into my true self and then back into the half-elf shape I wear to protect myself from unfair eyes in these southern lands. I turn toward Wuzruz, following him as he surges to attack Hiram. Every part of me faces him as if I have forgotten all else; Veronica, Master Hiram, and the Mayor. This house. Those in it. The wall which prevents me from continuing to retreat.

What is in Wuzruz is against everything that I am. Everything that is right. He is darkness and I know only one of us could survive the other. From my hands spring the slashing claws of a griffon and my mouth fills with fangs as long as fingers until my lips cannot close over them.

But I needn't kill him. Evil breeds and feeds in these lands, as if the south has become accustomed to its presence and commonality. I watch Master Hiram deal with Wuzruz as if he is a child, a weak thing, and I shudder as Wuzruz dies despite knowing what is inside him.

Against the wall, I breath harshly as I suddenly remember small portions of my Deas-ghnŕth, my dreaming path; a bridge over churning water, standing against an unimaginable darkness, unwilling to let it cross into this place, this land, with another by my side. A person I am willing to die with to protect everything living.

But what could be worse then Wuzruz and Master Hiram? What could possibly be worse? Is it either one of them or something even greater still. Something so terrible that it eclipses even what is Master Hiram and what is inside Wuzruz.

I should fly from this place. And I am a moment from great wings and a rush of air. From finding solace in the touch of the clouds. But I cannot go.

The scent of that other, that person in my dreaming that I would stand and die with, surrounds me. It is not a memory, a recollection from my Dreaming. But it is alive in this place. This moment. They are here. In this house. Sharing the same space and same breaths.

My mind says I must fly but my heart and spirit begs I stay. Even if my place here is a mistake, even if I would bring about ruin, I cannot fly. I would look upon the face and eyes of one that I would give my life for and have them see me. No matter the cost it entails.

I am bare without claw or fang as I approach Wuzruz, Veronica, and her daughter. My heart pounds inside my chest as I touch the orc. The smell of blood blots out the presence of the one I seek. It could be anyone here excepting Wuzruz. That at least I know. I look at Veronica and frown. It could be any of them, even her, and it holds me more than a Dreaming quest against a darkness and evil greater than either Wuzruz or Master Hiram. And maybe that's the point after all.

"Living is choice between the heart and darknessTha fuireach na roghainn eadar an cridhe agus gaiseadh," I say in the Nanuq : an archaic form of Druidic and recognized as such.tongue of my people. My hands do not shake as I press them against Wuzruz. The air becomes still around us and I pull from it life, giving it to Wuzruz heals
Dice Roll:
5d6+9 (3, 4, 4, 3, 2)+9 Total = 25
Anja takes 10 points nonlethal damage.
someone that is wrong to me.

Because I must stay and he must live if I am to find my way.

"I will join them," I hear myself say loudly as I pull my hands from Wuzruz's skin and I wipe blood from my nose. My heart quiets as if it has re-found its place inside me and I open my eyes against the darkness that I have decided to surround myself with, all for the chance of meeting one with whom I would share living and dying.

"Tha fuireach na roghainn eadar an cridhe agus gaiseadh."

__________________
The forceps of our minds are clumsy things that crush the truth a little in the course of taking hold of it.

Last edited by GeneT; 06-18-2019 at 09:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-18-2019, 11:02 PM
Alphaeus's Avatar
Alphaeus Alphaeus is offline
LͫOͤRͫDͤ
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-19-2019
RPXP: 3648
Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus
Posts: 2,132
Lady Chrysis Viridula, The Golden Angel
left-aligned image

Amid the chaos, as powers flew and axes swung and walls were crushed, Chrysis remained central yet untouched. Her estimates had been true: she was just barely outside of the realm of wounds and bloodspray. Keen eyes settled on each combatant in turn until all was done. The room calmed. Ulfgar spoke. Wounds were healed. The tense quietude reigned...until she spoke.

"Really, I would definitely recommend the tea. The cold weather certainly does bring out the brightness of the spices."

After ensuring her teacup and saucer were carefully settled on the tray -- a tray which was locked in the frozen grip of a blanched and terrified servant -- she gave a quick, cheerful sigh. She began to stroll around the room, examining the wreckage cursorily as she spoke.

"Now that Act One has ended and the antagonist exited stage right, let us get on to Act Two. Now...what precisely is Act Two, you may ask, and such is an excellent question."

Her words were initially with a somewhat casual disinterest, laced with humor at her own analogy. As she finished now, however, she was balanced with impossible ease upon the upturned edge of a splintered board in the precise middle of the ruptured wall. The tone of the socialite was exchanged for the tone of the Noble.

"In Act Two, we remember that we were called...that Ulfgar has shown himself a man whose call is worthy to heed. We are a disparate group, but if we are up against the likes of Hiram then we will find ourselves most likely to remain in one piece by acting together. I am quite certain no two of us are here for exactly the same reason, but by nature life is less about logic and more about living.

I would say that if there are problems to solve, foes to slay, terrors to crush, and destinies to fulfill...then we had best be about it, and best be about it together. I am no fool to whatever tensions our diverse lot may already possess, but these tensions can be handled when time can afford to be wasted."


With a affirming nod of her head, the Lady extended a single hand to the side of the shattered window, leaning from her perch as casually as one might rest against a wall. Crystals of ice danced around her misted eyes and ensconced themselves in her perfect hair, the breeze wrapping her cloak around her like a moth's cocoon. She seemed oblivious to both her position and the weather, deigning not to become unsettled for any reason. Quite the opposite, despite her taking no action truly worthy of fear, there was this pervasive sense about her, like gazing into a twilight mist wherein lurked a predator -- though there was nothing to see, nothing to hear, the hairs on your neck attest to a creature lurking just beneath the surface. As quickly as the change of tone appeared, it was gone, back to the smiling courtesan.

"Besides, my deal with Ulfgar was that I could finish my tea. I am done, so this morning's playtime should be as well."

OOC
 

 

__________________
Games I DM:Doors & Another Day

Business as Usual, Posting Normal

Last edited by Alphaeus; 06-18-2019 at 11:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-19-2019, 05:56 AM
JackinIrons's Avatar
JackinIrons JackinIrons is offline
This Guy!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-19-2019
RPXP: 11058
JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons
Posts: 1,478
Oota the Beast - A Long Awaited Homecoming
left-aligned image

Oota watched as Wuzruz moved, though he had seen the influence of the axe at work, and the tall hobgoblin tightened his jaw in frustration. He knew that Wuzruz wouldn't be able to hurt Master Hiram and he feared that the big orc had made his final mistake. But he could not step in. He knew that he had to hold on to his discipline because there were greater things at stake. Plans he had, which he suspected were once shared by one of his former companions.

He felt helpless as the orcs cries rose and after a predetermined amount of heartbeats, he spoke in a loud voice in a futile attempt to help, "Master, that's enough! We'll need his talents!" He wasn't sure why he knew that, but it resonated in his mind. But his words seemed be be unheard and unacknowledged.

Even as his own words failed him, the soft word of Veronica held more power and Oota watched as Wuzruz fell to the floor. And was even more horrified when Hiram turned to the woman with mean words. But her words held power once more and the ogrekin was surprised when the room seemed to shatter and his Master was thrown out. In his mind he hoped that Hiram would not call to him. A fear that was allayed by the commanding voice of the Dwarf Mayor.

Oota looked to the three other slaves then looked down at the floor, his emotions surging with a sudden feeling of self hatred. He wished that he could have done something. Taken their place. Before he realized it, he found that his right hand moved to his left hand, like it had done a little over a year ago. But before he could squeeze, he remembered that tears that the black haired woman had shed for him and he held himself back.

As he struggled to contain the surging tempest of his emotions, he listened to Ulfgar address them all and Oota looked down at his feet, unsure of what to feel. His master, or former master, was now a traitor. The mayor brought up the test for freedom, but the warrior knew that even the thought was a distant hope for him. And once again the call to action was given, which was the only part of the speech that was fully expected. Veronica, and Vivian by proxy, accepted immediately, but it was not so easy for The Beast.

Oota considered what he understood and as he did so, he watched the others with his beady eyes. He noted that the wild woman seemed somewhat skittish, though with all that had happened, it was hardly surprising. He heard her speak in a language he didn't know as she conjured up some type of ability for the injured orc. The she spoke her intent to fight alongside the others.

Contrary to Anja-Birgit, the noble lady remained remarkably calm as she commented on the tea and spoke of acts, as if this were a play. He shook his head very slightly as he thought to himself, 'It takes a dangerous person to take certain things in stride... hopefully she doesn't deem me unworthy.' He took a calming breath as he offered her a small smile.

Turning his mind back to the issue at hand, Oota gave Mayor Ulfgar a deep bow, "So it shall be, Master. I pledge my service and my life until I have earned my place in society many years from now. I would only ask one boon... that I be one of those that hunts down Hiram when the time comes. He did a lot for me in his way, but I owe him for twenty-five years of... unpleasantness. " Even after what had happened, the ogrekin found it hard to speak ill of his former master, despite the anger that still surged within his spirit. He also had to speak one last fact, one that Hiram would not have accepted, "Also, I must state that I now serve Gaia with all of my soul. I hope that such will not be a problem, Master."

Oota waited a moment for the Mayor to acknowledge him, then moved to stand before the others. He gave his fellow slaves a sad look before turning his head away with shame. Then he focused and the others, "Sir's and Madam's... you have heard my name, but that does not replace a proper introduction. I apologize for that rudeness, but I felt it imperative that I shared my story. My name is Oota... former Bloodwatch of Hiram Dabun and widely known as The Beast of Valejo. I caught some of your names..."

He looked to the calm Lady and spoke softly, "Lady Chrysis Viridula, it would be my honor to serve with you." He then turned to the wild woman, "Anja-Birgit, it is also an honor to meet you." He looked to the dwarf and the silent man and gave his greetings to them too, though he did not know their names yet. Then he looked over everyone, including his peers and spoke in his gentle way, "As I serve the new master, alongside you, my fellow companions, I will strive to protect you all with my life." As he said those words, Oota fell silent and waited for further introductions and instructions. But he felt a brief mist in his eyes as he remembered those he had failed to protect.

 
__________________
Life and hospitals suck at times. Starting to catch up now.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-19-2019, 01:26 PM
Unforgiven's Avatar
Unforgiven Unforgiven is offline
Lord Inquisitor
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-19-2019
RPXP: 5816
Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven
Posts: 6,623
Alive Again

The World Beyond

Wuzruz faces his death with stoicism. He relishes the necrotic flames washing over his body, as he knows in his heart that he cannot truly die. Not until he has fulfilled his purpose. The gods that came before will not allow him to die. He would be put back together in a realm far from here, and thrown back into the world to finish what he started. Wuzruz was not looking forward to escaping the mines of the crimson king once more, but there it was anyway. For the short time he was dead, was like an eternity for Wuzruz.

He found himself on a land with a great ocean before him, and a mighty building of flowing stone. All around him walked the spawn of the King in Yellow, and each one bore the Yellow Sign upon their forehead. They had tentacles for arms, and six legs each, and the guards wore armor made from an ectoplasmic residue with the souls of those who died in the endless mines trying to claw their way free from the armor.

None of them seemed to notice Wuzruz at first, but since he was dead, what did it matter? He would explore as he wished for now. He drifted through the walls and floors of the palace of the King in Yellow, drifting from here to there. He observed the great hatching floors of the Kith-Angror and the breeding pits of Helshynee.

It was not until he came across an overseer that he was noticed. The creature of pure blackness, with glowing red eyes in the center looked directly at him. He recognized it, he had escaped from this overseer once before, but this time the overseer fell upon him like a famished ghoul, and ripped him apart only to put him back together again. When he was reformed though, he found himself back at the Endless mines of the Crimson King once more.

They thrust massive hooked javelins though his arms, legs, and chest, and hurled him down into the pit to continue the work he had escaped so long ago. The only thing he heard as he fell was the Overseer's last whisper; "No one escapes the Crimson King..."

Wuzruz was there for many years, toiling in the deep dark of the mines, digging ever deeper for what though, no one knew. Each sleep cycle, Wuzruz would pray to the gods for forgiveness for his failure, and each day he spent digging or fighting some of the horrid insects that rose up from below. For into the nest of the great enemy he did dig. The orange beetles swarmed up from below, and those enslaved to digging would be left to fend for themselves.

Wuzruz led the slaves against the beetles, forming them and leading into battle after battle, tearing them apart over and over. Each time they lost more slaves to the beetles, but at least those were better food than the rations given to them, even raw.

After nearly thirty years in the pits, he felt a pull upon the chords that were speared into his body, and then he was pulled off his feat and out of the pits. He was pulled upwards for what seemed like forever, and eventually, he found himself in front of the overseer once more. "The King in Yellow has called, and you will answer the call, you pathetic failure."

Wuzruz bowed low, "I will answer the call." Wuzruz followed, but knew that he could have escaped again had he wished. He stayed because he felt he should be punished. He failed to kill Hiram, and had left his family alone in the darkness. He needed to see them again, but first, he needed to see the master of the Yellow Sign.

right-aligned image


Wuzruz came before the great King, and dropped to his belly in subservience, such was his presence that Wuzruz felt unable to actually stand, or even kneel in before the King in Yellow. The King spoke quietly once every overseer had left the room, once they were alone in the shadows. He spoke and the creatures hiding in darkness behind him squirmed, so that only pieces of them could be seen at any given time, a mouth here, a coil there, and once, a human on strings, being played like a manikin.

"Wuzruz... Bringer of the Word... you failed in your sacred duties. You failed me, and you failed my father... The bride lives alone in the halls of torment, and the red queen will never take her place without you. But despair not, for the crimson king knows what must be done, and has seen all eventualities. You will rise again in five hundred years time. You must keep the Word and initiate the faithful. Bring forth the great devourer from the oceans, and the hanged king from the skies. The world will crumble beneath their might, and then I will pave the way for my father's arrival. Open the portal Wuzruz, open the portal... I will deal with Hiram in time, you will be the vessel of his demise, and you will deliver him to me..."

Without another word, the hand of the King in Yellow shot out, and the hooked Javelins were expelled from the flesh of Wuzruz, the Yellow sign was branded upon his skull, beneath his skin, and he was thrust forward into the darkness of space. He flew as fast as light, and saw great and terrible things on his journey back to the world of Orcs.

He saw the three great eyes with a maw in between them, devouring a solar system and feasting on the flesh of the gods within. He watched the impeccable legions of the hanged king marching their drills on a flat plane floating through space, looking for the next world to conquer. He even saw the great mother of monsters, as the spawn of Yug flowed across endless worlds to feast for their great mother, who hovered in her home within a black hole.

Voices screamed within his head, begging for freedom, begging for deliverance, and all he had to say to them was to see the error of their ways and submit to the great gods from before. They come, from the darkness they come, rising like the tides. Eventually, they will arrive on the shores of the world of orc, and they will forever change it.

As he approached his final destination, some five hundred years later, a small but powerful voice spoke in his mind; "The shifter is a key. Find her and convert her. She will grant us access to the world mother, and we will use her. We will hide elder things inside her so that she might return with them to the world mother, and she will be made into the vessel of corruption that turns the world. All must be prepared for our arrival. We come."

Then Wuzruz could feel himself come crashing down into the world once more, crashing down until he impacted his now healed body, with Veronica unconscious upon him, and Vivian holding her tightly. It was good to see his family once more.

right-aligned image


Wuzruz awoke with a gasp of air, and new scars could be seen upon him as his body and flesh regenerated. Those watching would notice a yellow sign burned into the bone of his forehead before the flesh regenerated over it, but it was lost as quickly as it came, covered by flesh and skin.

Wuzruz immediately sat up, and looked around confusedly. He saw the whole in the wall, and felt his mate and child upon him. His eyes teared at the thought of losing his family, and he hugged them gently, pulling Veronica and Vivian close to him, and holding them. "Wuzruz was afraid he would lose his family, The King in Yellow was so angry with Wuzruz, Wuzruz is sorry it took him so long to return, he was delayed in the wrong place for a very long time."

Wuzruz absorbed the stunty orcs words, but did not speak for some time, merely stroking Veronica's hair for a while. When the bird orc came to him and laid hands on him, he smiled up at her, his large tusks making him look more feral than he intended, but he nods to her; "Thank you funny bird orc. Wuzruz is pleased that you have seen fit to heal him. Wuzruz will grant you blessings from his god anytime you wish, and the knowledge that comes with their blessings. You need not fear Wuzruz little Anja, for the Crimson King is pleased with you. I would speak to you about his will sometime in the future."

Wuzruz then turns to the stunty orc mayor, and nods slowly; "Wuzruz will accept you as his new chieftain, and will also request to be allowed to hunt down Hiram, and deliver the killing blow when the time is there." Then Wuzruz looks to Oota, and gives him a respectful Salute; "Wuzruz is even pleased to see you Oota, in all your tall orc glory. Wuzruz is ashamed to admit, that he will likely need your help to defeat Hiram, but implores you to allow him the killing blow. The Crimson King wants Hiram, he will deliver him unto a fate far worse than death. Wuzruz believes that this will please you."

Wuzruz then puts Vivian atop his shoulder and cradles Veronica in one of his arms as he stands up and walks over to the Noble lady, pouring himself a cup of tea as he goes. He holds it delicately between two fingers with his pinky outstretched, and sits across from her while sipping it gently, looking straight into her eyes as he does so. Small tendrils wriggling beneath his eyes can be seen, as an inky purple begins to seep into them until they are fully colored. He speaks quietly to her "I do not appreciate your interference in the will of the great gods that came before. Hiram was marked for death, you shouldn't have interfered. I hope this does not become a common occurance little orc.Nu apreciez interferența voastră în voința marilor zei care au venit înainte. Hiram a fost marcat pentru moarte, să nu fi intervenit. Sper că acest lucru nu devine o întâlnire obișnuită puțin orc."



ooc


 


__________________
Some may question your right to destroy ten billion people. Those who understand realize that you have no right to let them live!
-In Exterminatus Extremis -

Last edited by Unforgiven; 06-25-2019 at 09:44 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-19-2019, 05:18 PM
Eviltedzies's Avatar
Eviltedzies Eviltedzies is offline
Valor Morgahlis
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-19-2019
RPXP: 10304
Eviltedzies Eviltedzies Eviltedzies Eviltedzies Eviltedzies Eviltedzies Eviltedzies Eviltedzies Eviltedzies Eviltedzies Eviltedzies
Posts: 7,413
Dorran Stoneroot
left-aligned image
The scene that unfolded could hardly be given the definition of a battle. Not even a skirmish properly defined the chaos and violence that flooded into that small place in those moment. The man known as Hiram's power was put on full display for all to see and in that instant Dorran clearly understood why it was that Oota and the others bent to Hiram's will, all of them except Wuzraz. Even as the orc's assault was cut short, Dorran found himself disturbed at the level of recklessness that pervaded every fiber of Wuzraz's form. No..... not recklessness, zealousness. Such zealous disregard for his own life was not something gained from possessing a body of mighty strength, but from a mind forged in trials and tribulations. Such concerns though fell to the wayside as the orc fell to his knees. Surely such a display would quell any further acts of aggression. Such thinking was poor form though and Dorran's eyes widened when the woman stepped before the orc to accept the brunt of the magical assault. Her defiance rang out within Dorran's mind and resonated as though echoing through a mighty chasm. What followed only further gave credence to the magnitude of strength hidden behind the frail form as the woman hurled Hiram through the building like a child flicking a stone. This woman would not be denied even as her own flesh melted from her form.

A sudden pain within Dorran's chest snapped him back to reality. It had all happened so quickly and yet the pale dwarf had been holding his breath from sheer shock and awe. A cry broke the silence as a cold kiss of night's breeze crept through the gaping wound within the building. The young girl, clearly the older woman's daughter, fell upon her mother in child-like grief. For a moment Dorran pitied the little girl having to watch her mother perish in such a way. Any thoughts of sorrow or pity however faltered at the sight of the woman's flesh knitting itself back together. Her supple skin returning to its pristine beauty like a painter touching up an old canvas. The sight was disturbing as it was confusing. Even as the mayor cursed Hiram to depart, Dorran found himself unable to tear his sights away from the scene as the woman's power was poured into the dead orc mending his flesh and mind into one whole. This woman's power was nothing like what Dorran had seen and upon seeing the orc's eyes open once more a jolting chill coursed down his spine.

As the others began to recover and interject, words normally so quick to jump to Dorran's tongue fumbled and tripped among themselves as he watched in stunned disbelief as Lady Chrysis carried on about her tea as if nothing had gone amiss. She spoke with all the clarity and poise of true nobility, but her words seemed peppered with meanings only she could appreciate. It was as if the woman's tongue was plucking out the hairs on his back one by one. Each one painful and noted, but not enough yet to draw him from his shock. At the very least the troll shifter woman had reacted understandably by adding her own healing powers to aid the orc. That was an act of common sense, but going on about tea and acts? A dull throb caress Dorran's temples as he listened and watched. The Mayor's act of claiming the four slave's title's seemed a small droplet in the rushing river that overwhelmed Dorran now. Disbelieving eyes cast themselves to the members in presence even as the warrior Oota pledged himself to the group. His notice of Dorran seemingly flying right over the pale dwarf's head.

Then the orc spoke. He spoke of kings both yellow and red. He spoke of time long spent returning to the realms of the living. He spoke as though his death had been no more unnatural than breathing to him. Words and their lack of relevance to anything Dorran might comprehend strained the pale dwarf's already tenuous patience as he tried to make sense of it all. The dam finally burst within Dorran's mind though as he watched incredulously as the orc proceeded to accept a cup of tea with all the measure of grace and civility he appeared capable of mustering. Never mind his death, never mind the near death of the woman who had saved him, nor even a care in the world to the looming threat Oota had so forebodingly warned about. It was all insignificant, at least in appearance, to the man and finally Dorran could not hold his tongue any further.

"What in Gaias great bossum was all thatWhit in Gaias geate bossum was aw 'at!?" Outstretched hands reached for ethereal answers without success as the pale dwarf's eyes spun about to all gathered. "I don't know whether to be impressed, confused, or pissed off. First you got threats of war and dark things from beyond. Then we get a visit from an Overseer in person before you four and your git of a owner going at it with what I can only assume is a LONG list of pent up issues.Ah dunnae kinn whether tae be impressed, confused, ur pished aff. First ye got threats ay war an' dark things frae beyond. 'En we gie a visit fram an Overseer in bodie afair ye fower an' yer git ay a owner gonnae at it wi' whit ah can only assume is a loong list ay pent up issues." Though context wasn't necessary, the pale dwarf's hands gestured uselessly towards Oota, Wuzraz, and the two females as if to be completely clear as to who he was referring. "One dead man brought back to life and you almost surely were near death's door yourself lass.A body deid cheil brooght back tae life an' ye almost surely waur near death's duir yerself lass." It was clear the man was not accustomed to so many unusual events occurring in such rapid succession or perhaps this one time had just been a little more than he could process. "And then of course there's Ms. Tea Drinker over here but compared to the rest of things I suppose that's about the most normal thing going on right now.An' 'en ay coorse there's Ms. tea drinker ower haur but compared tae lae ay things Ah suppose that's abit th' most normal hin' gonnae oan reit noo." A gentle pressure massaged his temple as Dorran's brow furrowed towards Chyrsis though there was less anger as there was exasperation.

"And now I see I'm going to be working with all of you which just makes this by and far one of oddest and likely most dangerous day of my life.An' noo Ah see aam gonnae be workin' wi' aw ay ye which jist makes thes by an' far a body ay oddest an' likely most dangerous day ay mah life." It seemed being allowed some time to vent had begun to return the man to his right senses as he half walked, half stomped his way to stand before Oota. It was a comical sight seeing the short dwarf crane his head up at the might Oota but there was a stern determination in his gaze akin to perhaps a honey badger confronting a bear. "I have no bloody care or clue about most of all this.Ah hae nae bludy caur ur clue abit most ay aw thes." With one hand the pale dwarf gestured to the others spread out among the room. "But your story about the Life Tree and an encroaching darkness seems pretty much in line with what my green dreams have been warning me about. If you plan to stand against it then Dorran Stoneroot will be standing right there beside you.But yer story abit th' life tree an' an encroachin' darkness seems bonnie much in line wi' whit mah green dreams hae bin warnin' me abit. If ye plan tae stain against it 'en Dorran Stoneroot will be standin' reit thaur beside ye." Dorran's head turned to eye Ulfgar and the pale dwarf chuckled. "And if we so happen to have to stop some wars and fight some others in the process of that then bugger it all and lets do it!An' if we sae happen tae hae tae gonnae-no some wars an' barnie some others in th' process ay 'at 'en bugger it aw an' lets dae it!"
__________________
~ To be alive is not to live; living requires reaching beyond survival for something more. Reach for that something and find what dreams breath life into your existence. ~

Last edited by Eviltedzies; 06-20-2019 at 12:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-20-2019, 02:50 PM
Alphaeus's Avatar
Alphaeus Alphaeus is offline
LͫOͤRͫDͤ
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-19-2019
RPXP: 3648
Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus
Posts: 2,132
Lady Chrysis Viridula, The Golden Angel
left-aligned image

With the wind from the open wall at her back, Chrysis smiled at those who would form her entourage. They were managing to recover quickly. Indeed, as she presumed, each one reacted in their own way...but all of them were able to move forward. If something so sudden, horrific, divisive, and brutal could happen now and the lot of them remain intact while yet strangers...they certainly had the makings of a task force that would last.

As the rose blossom in her hair began to wear winter's transitory jewels, she listed to the words of the others. Some were surprised, but in their actions she saw reliability. More importantly, she saw flaws. Her father, Imperial Tactical Advisor that he was, had taught her how to read a person in light of their ability to serve in the field. One of the most important lessons had been to look for their flaws. Someone who showed no flaws was merely someone who had hidden them, and hidden flaws had been the downfall of countless men, armies, and even wars. Those who showed who they were without reserve, or at least minimally so, allowed you into their lives and could be fitted to their best purpose with straightforward efficiency. This motley crew fit that billing, and she most certainly approved. As a Wasp Queen she was used to working alone, and indeed preferred it -- few could match her in her areas of expertise, making cooperation rarely necessary or practical. The Order itself was rarely of much help -- her reputation and status held some sway, but they were inherently motivated by self service and internal competition. To have people upon whom she could rely would be a pleasant change.

Oota...again, she saw in him the seeds of far more than he was. In some ways, she saw some of the same seeds her own family bore: his were worn where they could be seen, whereas hers lay coiled in iron muscles. Indeed, were he ever to learn how to change his form, she would have been as comfortably with him in the noble courts as in the wilderness. He had a depth, too, that surpassed even far more "civilized" people...something with which her life had made her only passingly familiar.

She dropped from where she had been poised in the window, one hand deftly unfurling her cloak so as to allow free movement, and approached him as he addressed her. One porcelain hand extended upward, touching under the greenish-grey, leathery skin of his chin. Had she not been balanced atop her boots and naturally long-limbed, reaching his face would have been quite the challenge. Two slender fingers turned his drooped chin upwards, forcing his eyes to meet hers. In their mysterious hues she saw the moist glistening which she had heard in his voice. One ear she kept tuned to the conversation of the others as the crazed orc awoke and the dwarf spoke. She let them speak. Her voice now, though, was gauged only for the ears of the one in front of her. There was a softness to it, like the touch of the feathers woven into her hair, and a purity of emotion far more distilled than the laughingly casual tones she had used before.

"It will be my rare pleasure to serve with you, Oota. I have never been privileged to share the field with a kinsman before. We are beasts, you and I, but what has made my family hold power for thousands upon thousands of years is the simple fact that nobility comes from who you are, not what you are."

She turned to Ulfgar, her voice shifting once more to that of the noble. "With all due respect, I would like to request that your first act upon the requisition of these slaves is to grant me ownership of Oota, or perhaps all of them. For the first part, if we are abroad and problems arise, having their owner present -- and said owner being a Court Noble of note -- may well ease possible problems. Though this is not the time to explain, the House Viridula has specific ties to Oota's own heritage as well. I would, of course, give them the chance for freedom when such time is fitting. Your legal jurisdiction in this affair would, additionally, be duly respected."

She turned to the slaves, her tone softening to a less business-like and more friendly level. She smiled at them, pacing a bit in an arc around the room as she spoke. "You do not know me, I would presume, but yet I would endeavor to gain your trust if we are to work together. I am a Priestess of Calistria, though such faith would not be required of you. I hold by the tenets that each being's life is their own to live as they please, subject only to their will and their destiny. Those who fail to embrace the freedom of their own will have lost their hold on life itself. In my eyes and my faith, those principles are as true for you -- what the Empire sees as only slaves -- as they are for me -- the scion of a Noble House far older than the Empire itself. Furthermore, I am bound by my creed to protect my interests and avenge any wrongs against me and mine...while under my name you would benefit from that Religious Code as well. It is my hope that we are able to use these legalities to our advantage to speed both our mission and your own freedom."

Her path ended in front of Wuzruz. Her lips did not move nor a sound pass between them, yet he heard the voice from beside his head once more.

Aklo, again using Mockingbird (Ex) to throw her voice: "I assure you I would enjoy slaying Hiram. I consider him a marked man as well as you do, but had you heeded me you would have saved yourself those ages in the beyond, as well as spared Veronica her pain and the risk of failing the mission of which you speak. Hiram possesses a power which you cannot counter alone yet, and which cannot be faced directly at this time. You will come to realize I am more thrilled by bloodshed than you know."Vă asigur că m-aș bucura să-l omor pe Hiram. Eu îl consider un bărbat marcat și tu, dar dacă m-ai ascultat, te-ai fi salvat în acele vremuri de dincolo, și i-ai fi cruțat pe Veronica de durerea ei și de riscul de a nu reuși misiunea despre care vorbești. Hiram posedă o putere pe care încă nu o puteți contracara singur și care nu se poate confrunta direct în acest moment. Vei realiza că sunt mai încânată de vărsare de sânge decât știi.

The words are whispered quickly, the pause a mere couple seconds wherein she appears to be only evaluating his manners. Turning to Dorran, she hesitates, glancing back over her shoulder and switching back to Imperial Common. The words are spoken as an afterthought. "By the way, since you clearly wish to be mannerly, I would suggest two things: firstly, when a servant is present one never pours themselves tea. Secondly, the fingers are merely curved, not stuck out so awkwardly like the crown of a startled woodpecker."

Her attention returned to Dorran, she laughs at his words, her laughter like the sound of a clear mountain stream. Her hand touches his shoulder lightly. "Oh, rest assured 'Ms. Tea Drinker' can help you find days far more dangerous than this little display. Nevertheless, I could not agree with you more. As I originally said, I think we had best gather our wits...and bodies, in the cases of some...and be about the matter at hand."

OOC
 

 

__________________
Games I DM:Doors & Another Day

Business as Usual, Posting Normal

Last edited by Alphaeus; 06-20-2019 at 02:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-20-2019, 07:46 PM
GeneT's Avatar
GeneT GeneT is offline
Phial of Babel
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-19-2019
RPXP: 4413
GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT
Posts: 1,485
Hunting
left-aligned image
Anja circles away from Wuzruz and Veronica as Lady Chrysis approaches. She passes close enough to the woman to smell her skin. She tilts her head, turning her face to the woman and breaths, her eyes closing softly a half distance as she considers what she finds. A Lady was something Anja had never experienced. Such things did not live in the North. Nothing smells like Chrysis there. Or at least nothing looks and smells as Chrysis there.

She is flowers and rain. Clean with a hint of fresh snow. But under all is something sharper. Like the iron of spilt blood. Or the smell of sharpening a dagger on smooth stone and a leather strap.

Anja smiles, momentarily catching the woman's eyes before her steps take her out of the halo of Chrysis' person. She nods to the Mayor and then to Oota as she makes the door and stands half in and half out of the house. She has had enough of walls and furniture, even if the Mayor's house has a large hole in the front side that allows outside air to soothe away the smells of habitation.

"This man is recently left. He is not far," she says turning back to Oota and the Mayor, thinking the matter settled that they will track him down and speak with him. "It is early yet. Do we delay this hunting," she asks. "I fly and find his line. You follow me yes? I will not be hard to chase Beast of Valejo," she says, finding some humor in his name. A bit of snow falls from the awning over the Mayor's front door and she looks up into the sparkling swirl of powder.

Stepping further out into the early light, Anja turns and looks back at Oota. Surrounded by a glittering of winter, her eyes are a bright glowing yellow and the snow seems to place a crown around her head. A figment of great wings shadows the air around her and Anja looks taller, sleeker in both body and face. A fierceness and energy coil in her smallest movements; the wrinkle of her nose, the flickering of her eyes, the little things she does to keep her hands and fingers entertained. She appears as a woman, even bodied, rounded hips, full of breast. As if the cold has transformed her or, in the act of stepping back into winter, she has regained something. But in truth, she smells of flowers and iron.

Something catches her eyes in the sky and a smile blooms on her face. She purses her lips and a warble of birdsong dances from them into the air. Other flyers answer. Oota cannot see them, but he can hear their response.

"Do we wait," Anja says laughing at what she hears. The sound of her laughter like a rustling of trees and the burble of slow water down large rocks. It is a honest thing if not infectious. She is no longer searching, no longer running. She has found where she must be and, despite whatever may come of it, the finding has lightened her. Uncertainty drops from her face and she is herself again. She looks at Oota waiting for his word with nothing but the sun in her eyes and the desire to fly upon her arms.

"Do we wait friend Oota," she says unconsciously as if greeting someone she has known for a lifetime.
__________________
The forceps of our minds are clumsy things that crush the truth a little in the course of taking hold of it.

Last edited by GeneT; 06-20-2019 at 08:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-23-2019, 06:13 AM
JackinIrons's Avatar
JackinIrons JackinIrons is offline
This Guy!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-19-2019
RPXP: 11058
JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons
Posts: 1,478
Oota the Beast - A Long Awaited Homecoming
left-aligned image

Oota watched the others as he could while he also waited for affirmation from his new Master. Wuzruz, who had come to, spoke words that were slightly beyond him but the Bloodwatch gave them little mind. He had been in the presence something greater, so what more was a Yellow King on top of that? He also spoke to Anja and called her a bird-orc before accepting the master. He also asked Oota for the right to strike down Hiram, though Oota didn't answer immediately.

His mind was more occupied by the others and their oddities. The dwarf, who seemed to be the most normal of them all, seemed to be disturbed by everything that had happened. But Dorran Stoneroot also pledged to stand beside them, or perhaps just the ogrekin. Oota simply bowed his head in assent as the others moved and spoke and the slave wasn't so rude as to interrupt a free person.

The yellow noble woman spoke next and what she said left Oota feeling blindsided. Lady Chrysis had called him her 'kinsman' and referred to herself as another beast. He wondered whether her bloodline contained a goblinoid. Or did she refer to ogres... the thought scared him slightly. He could count on two hands the people who recognized that half of his parentage. But he was happy that she didn't know the whole of it. Only one other person in the North knew who his father was... his father. And those who followed him, he supposed. Oota gave the Lady a deeper bow but she had already turned to the Mayor and surprised him again with her request. He wasn't sure if he wanted to be turned over to her, but that decision was not in his own hands.

Leaving Lady Viridula to talk with the Mayor, as well as the dwarf, Oota moved his red eyes to watch the wild woman move. She fascinated the tall slave. Then she spoke and Oota tilted his head as her demeanor seemed to change for some reason. There was humor in her eyes and she seemed more comfortable as the birds called to her. And called him a friend. He gave her a shy smile that revealed some of his sharp teeth as he bowed his head to her and spoke softly, "Yes, Anja-Birgit, my friend. Mark the trail but do not make an approach. We should be along shortly..."

Oota took a small, steadying breath as he tried to filter all the insane things that had happened in his mind. It might surprise most people that the greatest shock was that he was greeted with good natured words and even friendship. Friendship had never been easy to attain for his twisted being. He looked to the Mayor, still awaiting full instructions, then looked to his fellows in chains. He still felt bad for not being allowed to protect them, and he remembered that he still hadn't answered Wuz' request. But he wasn't sure if it was something he could grant, so he spoke softly, "I will make no promises, Wuzruz. It is difficult to predict the raging tide of battle."

 
__________________
Life and hospitals suck at times. Starting to catch up now.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-23-2019, 08:13 AM
GeneT's Avatar
GeneT GeneT is offline
Phial of Babel
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-19-2019
RPXP: 4413
GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT
Posts: 1,485
Eagle's Spirit

Anja-Birgit's laugh trailed into the smoke of her cold-air breath as she walked closer to Oota. She was half an
right-aligned image
arm's length from the tall ogre and looked up at him; the smile still open on her face, a question in her eyes. But the bird-song was high in her presence and she could not hear what her spirit wished to sing and have her know as she stood so close to Oota, so she stepped around the Beast of Valejo and looked to the others.

"Would any fly with me," she said with her smile turning mischievous. "Would any ride and hunt in the clouds," she asked.

Anja would have them know the giant eagle of sun and sky. She would have them feel the wind on their skin and the power of its wings. She would have the damp touch of clouds on their face. And, perhaps, in some small way, she would have them begin to know who she was and how her heartbeat pounded in her chest every time she took another shape.

"The sky waits," she adds softly to herself.

OOC
 

 

 
__________________
The forceps of our minds are clumsy things that crush the truth a little in the course of taking hold of it.

Last edited by GeneT; 06-25-2019 at 05:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-25-2019, 11:47 AM
LeoByron's Avatar
LeoByron LeoByron is offline
Dungeon Master
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-18-2019
RPXP: 18507
LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron
Posts: 3,119
A DenialThe room seemed to gasp with wind song as winter gusted into Ulfgar's foyer and covered all within in an ephemeral blanket of snow. Ulfgar placed a hand on Oota's arm gently when the Ogrekin declared he now owed allegiance to Gaia and chuckled softly.

""Don't we all, my boy. Don't we all."Dornt we aw, mah loon. Dornt we aw."

Anja braved the turbulence of her own inner storm and closed the distance between herself and Wuzruz. Veronica tensed slightly when she approached as though some part of herself expected more reprisals for the darkness of their nature but when Anja gifted Wuz with Gaia's healing touch, she smiled for her and though it was a wan and tired one, it was nonetheless genuine.

"Thank you," she whispered.

Veronica's eyes bore into Anja for the briefest moment and the Nanuq sensed that they were reading more than what light could convey and she saw sadness tinge the look of gratefulness though somehow it was not diminished by the mixture.

The moment passed and the elf maid elaborated at length about how analogous their situation was to that of characters in a story-play, Dorran allowed himself to express the anxiety and excitement which events had elicited within him and when he finished, Veronica looked at him from behind the screen of her dangling hair.

"He wasn't dead. Not yet," she said in a whisper which had once more adopted the more timid timber she had affected before the incidents.

Now Chrysis made her bid to Ulfgar to obtain ownership of Oota and something in Veronica recoiled from the thought of that one holding legal sway over her friend. Something about this one was not quite as it seemed and she did not trust her motives in this proposal. Why would she want this. She waited to see Oota's reply but the subservient Ogrekin would not put voice to his opinions and deferred to Ulfgar's judgment. Veronica's eyes blazed at Ulfgar as though pleading with him and for a moment the mayor locked eyes with her.

He nodded, slowly, then addressed the debonair socialite.

""I can understand your reasoning, Ms Viridula, but it is not my way of thinking that this would be a course of action that would be to Oota's benefit. Or any of them for that matter. I don't right know the full measure of your character and though I can clearly see what usefulness you might bring to bear for what may come, I shall not grant ownership of these to you or any other. It is my intent to have them tested at the nearest opportunity and have them be free as they well deserve, excepting perhaps the Orc. He may need more time to acclimate but we shall see soon enough I think. As for the more practical uses of transferring ownership, I shall have their collars changed presently to match my House and draw up papers to legitimize their duties in my service. I thank you for your proposal but will respectfully decline for now, unless, of course, Oota or any of the others would prefer such explicitly."Ah can kin yer reasonin', Ms Viridula, but it isnae mah way ay thinkin' 'at thes woods be a coorse ay action 'at woods be tae Oota's benefit. Ur onie ay them fur 'at matter. Ah dornt reit ken th' foo measure ay yer character an' thocht Ah can clearly see whit usefulness ye micht brin' tae bear fur whit main come, Ah shaa nae grant ownership ay these tae ye ur onie other. It is mah intent tae hae them tested at th' nearest opportunity an' hae them be free as they weel deserve, exceptin' aiblins th' Orc. He main need mair time tae acclimate but we shaa see suin enaw Ah hink. As fur th' mair practical uses ay transferrin' ownership, Ah shaa hae their collars changed presently tae match mah Hoose an' draw up papers tae legitimize their duties in mah service. Ah thenk ye fur yer proposal but will respectfully decline fur noo, unless, ay coorse, Oota ur onie ay th' others woods prefer sic' explicitly."

The Mayor left their presence for a moment to fetch something from a drawer in his office and returned with four collars in hand. They were similar to the ones each already wore but bore Ulfgar's sigil instead of Hiram's. The Mayor's ensign was a simple one, embodied as it was by a flying Roc bird with a giant plume clutched beneath it in its talons. The plume dripped with liquid and though it was ostensibly meant to appear as ink, it bore an uncanny resemblance to blood. Perhaps the ambiguity was intentional.

""I shall have the papers drawn up and ready by the time you all return with Thorleif. His camp is in the shallow valley just north of town. Now please hurry and fetch him. I thank you all."Ah shaa hae th' papers drawn up an' ready by th' time ye aw return wi' Thorleif. His camp is in th' shallaw strath jist north ay toon. Noo please coorie an' fetch heem. Ah thenk ye aw."

Anja spoke then of taking to the skies to speed their way to the Barbarian chieftain but Veronica knew that most of them could not join her. She stepped gingerly towards Anja, seeming nearly embarrassed as she addressed her quietly.

"I don't think all of us can fly with you, Anja. I may have a better way for us to reach Thorleif swiftly. I can take us all through the realm of dreams and shadows. We can speed our way to him together. Will you all come with me?"

Vivian, now perched at her customary place on Wuzzie's shoulder, bristled with excitement at the thought.

"Yes, Mama! Let's ride the dream place to the Thorleif man! Weeee!"
OODM
 
__________________
Still here. Will catch up when I can.
"Why should I play the Roman fool and die on mine own sword? Whiles I see lives the gashes do better upon them." ~William Shakespeare, Macbeth.

Last edited by LeoByron; 06-26-2019 at 07:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-26-2019, 01:34 AM
Alphaeus's Avatar
Alphaeus Alphaeus is offline
LͫOͤRͫDͤ
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-19-2019
RPXP: 3648
Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus
Posts: 2,132
Lady Chrysis Viridula, The Golden Angel
left-aligned image

Had she not been a shapechanger, and this form possessed the muscles that lay within her true form, anyone onlooking would have seen the iron cords draw taught for a moment. Now, however, she merely pursed her lips and shrugged. She told herself that Ulfgar meant well, as he clearly did. Yet it did not assuage the apparent short sighted arrogance of his sort. SHE knew better. SHE was the one who was known from border to border of the empire for her feats. SHE was the one who was here to fix what HE could not.

But SHE...was also far too well trained to lose her cool just because one avenue she preferred was closed. A smile danced across her lips. By now, most watching would have realized that such momentary flickering smiles were a commonality with her. Her life was one where humor was found in things more grim than most would dare laugh about. In this case, it was in the thought that, ironically, she would likely still end up having to be directly responsible for the slaves anyway in the field. This is what happened when she took contracts without screening them first. Adventure and new experiences was why she came here.

One eyebrow did raise, however, as she shot a glance at Ulfgar. "Lady Viridula. As to the others...it will make matters more cumbersome, but at least you will still have the benefit of my presence to negotiate any problems. At any rate, I would be thrilled to be about our business, although travelling by way of dreams and darkness seems far more swift than flight, I must agree."

OOC
 

 

__________________
Games I DM:Doors & Another Day

Business as Usual, Posting Normal

Last edited by LeoByron; 06-26-2019 at 08:49 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-26-2019, 08:40 AM
GeneT's Avatar
GeneT GeneT is offline
Phial of Babel
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-19-2019
RPXP: 4413
GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT
Posts: 1,485
Hunting
left-aligned image
Anja looked at Veronica with her sun bright eyes and then to the cold blue sky. Other flyers whirled and banked above her as number of them had come to fly with her and welcome her back into the air. She looked wistfully at them before returning her face to the dark woman. A warble of regret sounding in her throat. She hadn't meant to take all of them in the air, only one. Anyone.

"Aye," Anja said. "I will walk in the Dreaming," she added, biting a corner of her lower lip with sharp little teeth. She'd rather fly. She rather spread great wings and touch the clouds. And she'd rather not enter the Dreaming Place. Or the Shadow Lands.

She knew that she was as Gaia made her. That whatever living she was surrounded by, where ever her feet and skin should touch, the power and marrow of that place seeped into her spirit. Part of her became as Gaia had created in those places and she drank of its essence until it melted into her flesh and spirit.

The Dreaming Place and the Shadow Lands were dangerous places for Anja because of what she could become in them and the change that power made in her. And the chance that she would become Lost to their darkness.

"It will change me," she whispers to Veronica, leaning in as if needing comfort. "Don't be afraid," Anja says while stepping back out into the cold. Not for Veronica's ears, but her own.

OOC
 

 

 
__________________
The forceps of our minds are clumsy things that crush the truth a little in the course of taking hold of it.

Last edited by GeneT; 06-26-2019 at 08:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-29-2019, 07:45 PM
LeoByron's Avatar
LeoByron LeoByron is offline
Dungeon Master
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-18-2019
RPXP: 18507
LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron
Posts: 3,119
The Coming StormThe man still fumed when his men rejoined him with questioning looks on their frosted bearded faces. They did not dare disturb the turbulence of their leader's thoughts, however, falling in formation behind him as he stormed his way northward towards the relative safety of their encampment. Once they had cleared the northern gate, which was swiftly opened for them by a jittery human guard, one of his men dared to ask what they all burned to know.

"Thorleif, what has happened? Did the upstart Mayor admit his treachery?"

Thorleif stopped dead in his tracks nearly causing one of his men to plow straight into him, and glared at his interlocutor for a moment, before forcing a more calm look to perch on his worried face.

"Nay he did not, the bastard. Had some meeting with that Hiram bloke and some Black face from Dusk. The bastard had the nerve to have 'em sit in on our meeting! Didn't want me axe in his forehead I gather! It's gonna be war, fellas. No more half-cocked skirmishes, now. We're gointer get all the tribes tergether and come down on this upstart like a northern storm! We'll rattle his rafters alright!"

Thorleif turned back northwards and set a pace none of his men could follow without entering into a tiring hustle, but they kept pace with him nonetheless. They soon reached their campsite where they were greeted by the other members of their War PartyKrigmoot. A fire raged in the large circle of stones and several of the men made their way to its warming side, removing mittens to let their cold flesh thaw in the welcome heat.

It happened fast, then. They came from the trees like ghosts from the nether. None of their sentries had even come close to spotting the menace and they later would swear that they had materialized from nowhere which, of course, they had. Some twenty of them closed in on them, gliding effortlessly over the deep snow with dweomered boots. Their armor was of strange and foreign make and at first the Nor'landers took their foe to be Ulfgar's men come for treacherous ambush. But these were not human foes. Most of these donned Steel Lamellar of a design none of them had ever seen. Their flesh was of a mottled yellow colour with sallow patches of brown and green. Their eyes seemed too sunken in their gaunt faces and their noses too small and high upon them. Their skulls seemed overly long beneath their wintry hats and what hair they had seemed braided and adorned in gaudy ornament. Their colours seemed to shift to white and green as they stalked forth from snowy forest and when their sentries called the alarm it had nearly been too late. These were northern men, however, and had eyes to see through the frost and ears to hear past the wind.

They called the alarm and all of Thorleif's men fell into position as gentle snowfall began to grace their clearing. The Gith had come.




The newly minted Guardians stepped outside into the cold morning wind and gathered in a semi circle by the mayor's splintered porch. Wuzruz stood a pace or two from Oota and they regarded each other with no small measure of unease. Veronica stepped between them and bade Vivian stay at Wuzzie's shoulder with a pert nod of her chin. Vivian reached her hands towards Anja the little bird who flew erratically around the group as she rode the breeze then turned suddenly to land on the girl-child's finger. Vivian giggled in her glee as her mother motioned for the rest of them to take each others' hands. When most had linked themselves from hand to hand to hand, she reached first for Wuz and then for Oota and closed the link for true.

She closed her eyes for the merest moment, finding her center as she pushed the roiling emotions within aside and let serenity fill her thoughts. She opened her eyes and they had become black pools of liquid shadow. Her chest heaved slowly and black smoke spumed forth from between her lips and spread fast and far around her until it engulfed everyone in shadow. Bodies tingled with strange vibrations and the world around them appeared as through thick drapes of liquid shadow.

Veronica released Wuz and Oota's hands and smiled shyly at her friends. It felt good to be with them and to be out and free to roam the shadow paths.

"You may release each other, but please stay close. You can get lost out here and it might be impossible to find you again should you roam too far. Follow me."

Time did not flow here as it did on Origin, and things blurred and flew past with amazing speed with each minute movement of their bodies. Veronica began to walk northwards, passing between her fellows with Wuz and Vivian in tow and soon all the others followed. The world rushed by in a shadowed blur though even through this haze the world outside seemed far too white and bright with winter snow. Soon Veronica stopped and raised a hand to bid the others halt as well.

"We are here, I think. Yes. Close enough and I can sense Thorleif nearby. He is frightened! Many minds are frothing with battle rage! Something is wrong!"

Veronica began to aspirate and all the shadows around them began to whorl and dissipate towards her lips. She stepped out of the shadows and into the stormy dawn of day.

left-aligned image
The group stood atop a small hill clad thick with snow, though ostensibly less than the low ground of this large clearing in the forest steppes. To the north two groups faced each other, advancing with murderous intent with battle cries upon their frosted lips. Through the falling snow they saw three vanguard groups closing in on Thorleif and his men who seemed positioned for defense. The attackers clearly were not human with their yellow flesh and foreign arms and armor, but they seemed intent on battle nonetheless.

They numbered twenty all in all, with ten males and three females clad in what appeared to be O-yoroi armor, but which possessed a brand not usual for Shaolin lands. There seemed a draconic slant to their ho-ate mask which did not resemble the usual patterns for those people. The hues seemed based in red but they shifted constantly to match the terrain upon which they stalked, Falcata blades in hand, with tidy bucklers strapped to forearm. Six of their number donned Steel Lamellar not dissimilar from what one might find in Shaolin but again seemed markedly dissimilar in minutiae and in make. The craftsmanship was visibly astounding and the bows they carried seemed of equally unusual and remarkable appearance.

Lastly, a Male and female kept the rear, though to the Guardians it became, in fact, the front, and these seemed clearly more Arcane in their proclivities. The female wore Lamellar not unlike that of her compatriots but this one seemed of metal with a silvered sheen not quite similar to steel but instead possessed a bluish tint which thought to glow in the dawning light even through the mounting snow fall. Her hands grasped a wooden quarterstaff which had clearly seen its share of use though seemed undiminished in its careful and precise way of carving. While the Guardians watched, she raised her staff and spoke a word in her harsh and hoarser voice and in a language they could not quite grasp. She and eight of her fellows grew suddenly to tremendous size, displacing snow for a moment before the dweomers in their boots could compensate and buoy them once more upon its icy surface. The male, unarmored but clad instead in fineries of silk and velvet, seemed unconcerned, comparatively, by the cold, but now made gestures in the air and spoke words in that same strange tongue which belied his spell before he cast it.

He vanished.

The rest of his fellows closed the distance towards their human prey and seemed, at least for now, unaware that others flanked them from their snowy mound...
OODM
 

 

 

 
__________________
Still here. Will catch up when I can.
"Why should I play the Roman fool and die on mine own sword? Whiles I see lives the gashes do better upon them." ~William Shakespeare, Macbeth.

Last edited by LeoByron; 06-29-2019 at 08:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-29-2019, 09:53 PM
GeneT's Avatar
GeneT GeneT is offline
Phial of Babel
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-19-2019
RPXP: 4413
GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT
Posts: 1,485
A Wounding Song
right-aligned image
Anja shifts upon the girl Vivian's finger remaining a black and white songbird. She hops and spreads little wings to fly the short distance to a perch on Vivian's shoulder, chirping quietly at the sight of what happens. They were small things that attacked the barbarians. She could be so much bigger. Monstrous and gargantuan. A thing that the snow would be little hindrance and that she could trample thru those advancing on the barbarians like new spring grass. And perhaps Vivian could understand that in the little peeps Anja beaked near the girl's ear, but perhaps she couldn't. She could carry them all like thunder upon their enemies, safe and high against them until they fell from her back with killing intent.

The little white and black song-bird fluffed her feathers against the chill air. Vivian had kept her safe from what hid in the shadow-lands and she was loath just yet to return to walking. The girl's neck was warm and she hopped into the hollow of it and fluffed her feathers more, snuggling in. Little peeps and warbles tickling Vivian's hearing.

She did not decide yet. Learning was needed first. About them and what her place was with them and this testing. She followed as they were hers and she was theirs. She had given her name and would stand by them. The time would come when she would not just watch and sing and wait to be shown the way. But for now she was happy in the softness of Vivian's neck knowing she may soon have to leave it and take another shape that was far more dangerous and far more difficult than being a black and white warbler. That moment would come when it may, but there was no need rushing it. And she had little concern about what was seen, at least for herself, and so was content to feel the pulse of the girl wander from the girl's bright skin into her little talon-ed feet.


__________________
The forceps of our minds are clumsy things that crush the truth a little in the course of taking hold of it.

Last edited by GeneT; 06-29-2019 at 10:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06-30-2019, 02:40 AM
Alphaeus's Avatar
Alphaeus Alphaeus is offline
LͫOͤRͫDͤ
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-19-2019
RPXP: 3648
Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus
Posts: 2,132
Lady Chrysis Viridula, The Golden Angel
left-aligned image

The young woman did as she promised. Chrysis had known Wasp Queens that could walk through the realm of shadows, even if she herself had never learned. It was an art she had always admired. Their travel was swift, crossing miles as if they were but a single step. The swirling darkness enveloped her for this time. She sensed she was not home, yet felt as though she was in the company of an old friend. Darkness was her home, in many ways. In it she worked her trade and thrived. There was an austere peace here, once that seemed to set all of the chaos of before into a distance farther than just what could truly be measured. She could taste combat upon her tongue.

It was a feeling she had known her whole life, yet was always as powerful as the first time. Her breathing deepened, each breath instinctually measured to remain silent as her chest rose and fell like the waves of a roiled ocean. Pulsing quivers ran through her body as her heart surged towards the thought of bloodshed, muscles half-tensed as they were charged for whatever lay ahead. She licked her lips, mouth slightly dry as adrenaline began to stave off her salivary glands. These moments were what kept her alive. The chase to risk everything she had, everything she was, upon the fragile hinge of a each thought, each deed. The times between faded to nothing in light of when she was doing what she knew.

All she knew.

They arrived in the snows of the north right then, but the thought persisted. Chrysis founded her pride upon being who she was, so there was no reason that thought should bear the sort of weight it did. Nevertheless, she was in her element now as the sight of imminent battle anchored her to the hear and now. She hesitated for a moment, casting a glance over the others. These...these were to be her allies, allies in a venture that would last for an amount of time no one yet knew. With the coming of conflict, this was as good of a time as any to reveal her true nature.

Grabbing the edge of her cloak, she drew it up into the air around herself. With a flourish she released it, allowing the fluttering folds to fly around her like slackened ship's sails caught upon the sea's stead breeze. All of a few seconds passed as the cloak dropped, but as it did so the form beneath was not the one they had seen before. There were traces they could see now -- the eyes seemed the same, perhaps -- but nothing more. In place of the soft noblewoman was a wild-haired predator. Pure metallic gold sheathed her body as tightly as her own skin, with equally little concealment. Among the things it did not conceal were her muscles: though still slender, every cord and tendon was chiseled as if from stone. Ribbons of gold wove through her hair, framing a face that seemed at once the same and entirely different -- the structure was identical, yet somehow the predatory feel of her entire form carried over there as well. With a smile she turned towards them, her voice still pure but spoken with a casual dagger's edge.

"Since we are going to get to know each other and work with each other, you might as well know me. I am a bit of everything, you might say, but while I was born with a family name and title, the name I have built for myself is The Golden Angel."

With a grin devilishly seductive as it was sinister, she gestured to the battlefield. "Now, I say we gather our wits and light into these bastards."

OOC
 

 

__________________
Games I DM:Doors & Another Day

Business as Usual, Posting Normal

Last edited by LeoByron; 07-18-2019 at 11:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:58 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2019, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB