: +

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 06:13 PM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17722
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
The Scoreboard

Here is the official scoreboard for the contest.

Update August 16: the Scoreboard now contains all mechanical point grants from Round 3, plus all judge points for D&D and 2/3 judge allocations of points for PF.

Player Character Round 0 Round 1 Round 2 Round 3 Round 4 Total
Pathfinder bracket
Antipode's Le´ze Deltarn 60 27 132 115+_ 0 334+ _
Gaijin's Dr. Alexander Drudge 10 45 125 0 0 180
OneDarkness's Hevem High 10 29 0 0 0 39
Qiksilv's Tobias Lancaster 40 72 132 315.5+_ 559.5+_
Scimmy's Zephaniah 10 37 154 00 201
Yuul's Aurelia Sigurdsdˇttir 20 71 0 0 0 91

D&D 5e bracket
AlphaP's Psyliana Amastacia 10 64 223 268 565
Auron3991's Orisk Talvihas 10 77 50 0 0 137
Azure Nokori's Rapido Hayai 10 8 0 0 0 18
Bio's Nicolette Quinn 10 40 0 0 0 50
cchrome77's Robinette 10 63 2 0 0 75
Cereal Nommer's Eugene de Gesincourt 10 84 170 291 555
DanshiiWuthWulf's Vordur Blackburn 10 94 180 272 556
Drachenspirit's Raza Vanotar 10 81 93 0 0 184
GleefulNihilism's Bryn Anvilsong 40 63 126 0 0 229
hafrogman's Edvik, the Bastard 10 72 117 0 0 199
MontageManiac's Kayne Cyire 0 77 186 290.5 553.5
oztk's Berte 'Mitty' Bovary 10 136 198 328.5 672.5
Silk's Vash Vin Vishara 10 63 138 0 0 211
The Rat Queen's Kethra Helder 10 58 0 0 0 68
Zinrokh's Ikol 60 122 133 323 638

Last edited by Wynamoinen; 08-16-2019 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:10 AM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
Here is the complete count of public voting on Round 0 applications:

Player Character Application vote count
Pathfinder bracket  
Antipode's Le´ze Deltarn 460
Gaijin's Dr. Alexander Drudge 255
OneDarkness's Hevem High 220
Qiksilv's Tobias Lancaster 290
Scimmy's Zephaniah 195
Yuul's Aurelia Sigurdsdˇttir 265

D&D 5e bracket   
AlphaP's Psyliana Amastacia 120
Auron3991's Orisk Talvihas 15
Azure Nokori's Rapido Hayai 0
Bio's Nicolette Quinn 170
cchrome77's Robinette 30
Cereal Nommer's Eugene de Gesincourt 140
DanshiiWuthWulf's Vordur Blackburn 35
Drachenspirit's Raza Vanotar 0
GleefulNihilism's Bryn Anvilsong 180
hafrogman's Edvik, the Bastard 100
MontageManiac's Kayne Cyire 25
oztk's Berte 'Mitty' Bovary 115
Silk's Vash Vin Vishara 95
The Rat Queen's Kethra Helder 105
Zinrokh's Ikol 235

Last edited by Wynamoinen; 07-08-2019 at 09:13 AM.
Old 07-15-2019, 01:35 PM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
CuchulainenAs the group struggles to maintain the pace on their way to the Labyrinth, Cuchulainen rambles about his assessments. He wheezes and complains as he goes, but he never falls behind for a moment.

"Well. Well. HWACK-UM!" he gobs a fist-sized ball of phlegm onto the verge. "Eh-hrm. Well. That didn't go as well as one might of hoped. No sir. But, you lot ain't hopeless. Didn't go as bad as I expected, neither, no. All that dashin' off, tryin to look like a fancy-pants storybook hero is going to get you killed dead, though, I'll tell you that much. The Nine ain't around to make us look good. It'll make you look the damned fool, often as not. Doing your best looks foolish, but it's the only way to get things done in this piss-pot of a world we've got." He burps and makes an expression like someone insulted his mother.

"Anyhow. Now that you've done your tricks I suppose I needs to throw you your scraps. Fine, fine. Now let's see, I'll need to think hard to remember what went right..."
OOCCongrats all in finishing out Round 1! Just putting out a week's worth of Outplay posts is an accomplishment worth being proud of. But here I am to say what I liked the most and the least, and to assign points to those judgments.

Each judge may be looking for something different, but we all have the same number of points (per thread) to hand out, and we all want the same thing: to reward the best player, as evidenced by what gets posted in our Outplay threads. I judged by asking myself: when I see the most excellent game posts on this site, what do they do? I came up with a list of six player virtues:
  1. Their writing is creative: the content is varied, surprising, funny, passionate, has an enjoyable tone.
  2. The writing is clear: it is easy to read what's written. It's easy to understand what the intent and actions are. Typos and walls-of text are kept to a minimum.
  3. There is interaction: Players take what is given to them and respond to it. In turn, they create situations that OTHERS can respond to. This is particularly excellent, in my estimation, when players interact with other players (rather than simply responding to GM stimulus).
  4. The character plays a role: you've got a class, you've got strengths, and you use those strengths. This is sort of a synthesis of interaction within a group (see the item above), as well as role-playing a particular person (see item below). You use your character's resources and strengths well.
  5. The character is a well-defined character: You applied to play a person with a certain personality, a set of goals and attitudes and histories. Are you playing a distinct and consistent character, and is that character the one you applied with?
  6. Mechanics: You understand the rules. You follow the rules. You have correct interpretations of the rules. You apply those rules correctly in things like your roll bonuses, casting time, action economy, and so on. You use those rules to find interesting, creative, and effective solutions to your problems.

I'm giving a lot of explanation here, because unfortunately, between GMing two threads and judging 15 people, I did not have a lot of time to write specific comments for each post. My apologies for that. By design, judge points are limited. If you didn't get a point for a particular thing on a particular day, that doesn't mean your post did that poorly. It just means it wasn't the most excellent example of one of my six virtues on that day.

The punchlineThe table below gives my point grants to each 5e player. Since D&D had 15 people, I had up to 150 points to distribute (40 in three threads, 30 in the other). A jpg version of my tracking spreadsheet is spoilered below. You should be able to zoom in on your browser or download to your computer to see in clearer detail.

Player Character Judge award
North gate  
Auron3991's Orisk Talvihas 5
cchrome77's Robinette 3
Silk's Vash Vin Vishara 8

East Gate   
Azure Nokori's Rapido Hayai 2
Bio's Nicolette Quinn 2
DanshiiWuthWulf's Vordur Blackburn 10
GleefulNihilism's Bryn Anvilsong 9

South Gate   
hafrogman's Edvik, the Bastard 5
MontageManiac's Kayne Cyire 8
oztk's Berte 'Mitty' Bovary 13
The Rat Queen's Kethra Helder 3

West Gate   
AlphaP's Psyliana Amastacia 10
Cereal Nommer's Eugene de Gesincourt 8
Drachenspirit's Raza Vanotar 7
Zinrokh's Ikol 12

Last edited by Wynamoinen; 07-18-2019 at 05:17 PM.
Old 07-15-2019, 01:43 PM
Of the Fartnocker Clan

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 35249
Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak
The Judgement of Mifflewerf Fettlegrew - PF Round 1

Archmage Mifflewerf Fettlegrew - Round 1 Judgement
left-aligned image
Archmage Mifflewerf Fettlegrew
The gnome looks down at the group in front of him, his usual wide smile dropped from his face. His mouth opens momentarily, as if he was going to speak, before it closes as he shakes his head from right to left. It seems that for the moment, the garrulous MIfflewerf Fettlegrew was struggling to find something to say.

"I... I..." he stutters for a moment, pausing to take a long pull from his wine glass, lowering it and then refilling it.

"By the gods..." he says, taking a second drink in an effort to calm himself down before he continues.

"So I take it none of you have kids? Because things like bombs, hellbats, crocodiles and ghostly air warriors are pretty scary for children - and adults too... Well, most of those things are scary. most of this time. I say most because Casper is a ghost and he isn't scary at all, he's nice. Actually, he's the friendliest ghost I know." Mifflewerf says, shaking his head as if to shake away the tangential thought.

"The tournament. We only gave you one job. Save the kids. Not that hard. You avoid the bad guys, grab the kids and move them to safety. But you made it oh so much more difficult than it needed to be.

And THE BLOOD... Oh, so much icky sticky blood - quite of bit of which belongs to you. Did you forget that this wasn't about killing stuff, but about saving kids? You guys were going out of your way to murder relatively innocent monsters right in front of impressionable children - and did that instead of trying to get them out of harms way. You are all sick."
Mifflewerf whimpers.

"And just to clarify, you do remember why I’m watching? I’m here to give you style points. Well, I’ve been trying to give you style points, but it is really hard when you have no style. Harrumph, harrumph." he growls, stomping his feet and shaking his head in anger.

"I expect more from all of you, particularly if you think you are going to become one of the nine." he says, his eyes widening as each of you feels him staring into your very soul.

Do better. And do it with STYLE... the telepathic words he places in your mind resonate as the gnome slowly floats backwards and allows the other judges to be heard.

Below is a round by round explanation of the discretionary points that were awarded.

Last edited by Wynamoinen; 07-18-2019 at 05:07 PM.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:02 PM
The Lord of Gifts

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16543
wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine
Kokabiel Strix The Lord High Commander stands before you. The juxtaposition of the anger in his eyes with the small elf child clutching his mailed hand is particularly unsettling. The young child eventually scampers off with the rest, luckily having been rescued from the bowels of the nether realms.

You compete for an opportunity to join the greatest heroes in all the realms, and that was your opening salvo? Think on what has transpired here and ask yourselves if you think you are worthy.

The voice is filled with the malice you’ve come to expect but is tinged with… disappointment?

What would have happened if we were not here to clean up after you? How many lives lost? How many families wrecked? If this is a sign of things yet to come, then prepare for the challenges ahead will only be more difficult, and the challenges may prove to much for you. Any of you.

Kokabiel, his piece said, moved on.

He suggest you do the same.
A Note from the GMI can’t keep spending all of my time on outplay, and I don’t want to repeat everything Squeak just said.

So go read what squeak said, and think on it.

Go back and look at some of the older outplays where there were four different brackets and 30+ players (2014, 15, 16) and you can see that none of you would have made it through the first rounds. I don’t say that to be mean, I want you to grow. I know you can grow. I’ve seen the seeds of greatness in each of you, but you have to water that seed and let it flourish.

Description and personality – bring your characters to life!

You spent all that time working on the mechanics and building this figment – you owe it to them and to yourselves to take that figment from your imagination and share it with the rest of us. The mechanics awards were built into the competition and when I was conscripted as a judge, if you looked at the judges thread, you'd have seen I asked for one thing - and sadly it was not delivered in the pathfinder threads. I don't have time to give you each detailed comments, but there is a basic outline of what did and didn't earn you points below.

I also don't believe in secreting critiques because it lets others grow by seeing each others mistakes. I tried very hard not to take into account the mechanics of the round at all in my judging; which is why I hadn't wanted to judge at all, but here we are.

Think on this, and goodluck in the next rounds.

Discretionary Point Totals Scimmy Total: +7
Yuul Total: +6
Qiksilv Total: +6
Gaijun Total: +5
OneDarkness Total: +3
Antipode Total: +2
Total Points Spent: 29/60

Old 07-16-2019, 09:04 PM
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23268
MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar
Round1

Antipode
- I could feel the drama of the situation in those posts +2

OneDarkness
- Wyvern slayer (Boum) +3

Yuul
- Roleplay with Archimedes +2
- Roleplay instruction to the elementals +2
- Saved the first children +2

Quiksilv
- Nice Shatter usage +2
- Saved the first children (same time as gaijin) +2

Gaijin
- Save the first children (same time as Quicksilv) +2
- Cool swanboat +2

Scimmy
- Wand sharing, helping his buddies +2
- Best roleplay of the round in both bracket +4
- Bat kisses lol +2

Old 07-17-2019, 04:06 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20040
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Line up and get what's coming to ya!The Druid stood there with a quill and parchment, taking notes. “This would be easier if I could read what I just wrote,” you hear him mutter under his breath. “Right then, discretionary points. This is the part where I give points for things I saw that I liked, and take them away for things that were nonsense. Luckily for some of you, you can’t go negative in points. And, I value things like being quick on your feet, and making smart decisions more than I do showing off your fancy magic items. We want to know what YOU bring to the table, not how strong of a crutch you carry. When I read your name off, step forward and get your score. Love it or hate it, I call things how I see it. Complaints can be directed at yourselves, since you were the one taking actions here.”

Discretionary Points for D&D 5E Round 1Zinrokh playing Ikol
  • +1 You introduced yourself!
  • +3 for good stat block, decent organization
  • +2 Burning a 4th and 3rd level spell slots right off the bat, that is risky. Looks like it pays off though
  • -1 Rolls in the RP part of the post. Pet peeve of mine. I like those grouped together in the mechanics section
  • +2 Ikol ended up being the most ‘successful’ this round, and didn’t burn too many resources doing it.
Total +7

Drachenspirit playing Raza
  • +1 a little short on the intro, but at least you did some here.
  • +0 action block was so tied into the stat block that it was hart to pull out visually and separate
  • -1 didn’t follow the inum format. Instead put everything in tool-tips, which I personally hate
  • +1 for charging into the burning building
  • +3 I like that Raza really focused on getting the kids out, rather than just being a mindless killing machine.
  • +1 Ouch, those were some hard hits at the end, that could really hurt later on in the competition
Total +6

Cereal Nommer playing Eugene
  • +1 Ok, here is the thing. Too many players get caught up in putting huge pictures of their character in their posts, and often times are ones that we so over and over and over…. The size of what you put in was great, didn’t get in the way, and came across as at least somewhat original.
  • +1 A brief character introduction
  • +2 very clean stat block, and very easy to follow what is happening in mechanics block
  • +3 took some big hits there trying to keep the kids safe, burned some valuable resources doing so
Total + 7

AlphaP playing Psyliana
  • +1 for giving your character an introduction
  • +1 for making your stat block and action blocks separate and easy to follow
  • +1 I appreciate what Psyliana is trying to do with all the running around, but issues with some of the rules, and choice in what to do for actions, there really should have been a lot more children saved than what we got as an end result.
Total +3

GleefulNilhilism playing Bryn
  • +2 very good character introduction
  • -1 No stat block given, and not using inum, per the rules on rolls (Ok, the stat block progressively got better, or this might have been a -2)
  • +3 Bryn did probably the best he could have with the sharks, and did take some pretty big hits keeping them at bay.
  • +1 I like that Bryn charged off to the next challenge, and worked to help try and rescue some of those kobolds from the Giant
Total +5

Bio playing Colette
  • +1 for giving a character introduction
  • +1 for clear separation of stat block and action block, with good clarity on the action block.
  • +1 for some creative attempts at spell usage, though the intended outcome of them really was a bit stronger than what the spells allowed for. Illusions and some of these spells are tricky, because they are so DM and situationally dependent, that it isn’t always great to try and base an entire plan around their success.
  • Would have liked to give another point here, but the posts got pretty short, and it made it harder to follow narratively what wa supposed to be happening.
Total +3

DanshiiWithWulfs playing Vordur
  • +1 for a good character intro
  • +2 for very good and clear stat block, and mechanics section. Although, the way you are tracking spells doesn’t quite jive with how spell slots work in 5E. (You don’t lose a spell being prepared, when it is cast, just the slot)
  • -1 deleted rolls? Ok, I know they are there, but something got screwy in the post editing, making it look like deleted rolls.
  • +2 really good job here keeping the post content engaging, and consistent throughout the whole round.
  • +2 good job sticking with getting those dwarves out. There was a bit of combat here, but probably an appropriate amount for the challenge.
Total 6

Azure Nokori playing Rapido
  • +1 for the character intro. Some problems with the image (it doesn’t show up for me).
  • +3 for team buff! We never seem to get enough of these in competition events
  • +1 for separating and clear action block vs stat block
  • -1 didn’t use the inum format for rolls.
  • Beyond that, most your posts just don’t have enough meat on them to really be considered great. Glad that you kept posting every round, but if you continue on, focus on making your posts something that stands out and grabs people’s attention.
Total +4

Silk playing Vash
  • +1 for the organized action block. Missing stat block, and didn’t really give an introduction to your character before jumping into the action. (You linked your sheet later, but that doesn’t give us a post by post tracking of the state of your character at a specific point in time)
  • +1 for handling the rampaging water elemental. This could have ended up devastating. But, also shows that the elemental gems are not quite the ace in the whole that everyone things they are, without a careful review of their mechanics.
  • +3 the scene handling being inside the falling building was done really well, and to me was the highlight of Vash this round.
Total +5

cchrome77 playing Robinette
  • +2 for good stat block, separated from a clear mechanics block (again, no character intro here prior to the action starting)
  • +2 It took Robinette a bit to get going, but I really liked the use of the rope to get the kids out of the water. I may have read this differently than intended, but getting the kids out of the water asap saved them from being hounded by the sharks every round. Maybe it was just because he was flying with the winged boots.
  • Overall, I would have liked to give more points here, but the posts in generally were lacking some of the meat that makes really great posts stand out. It got better as the round went on though.
Total +4

Auron3991 playing Orisk
  • +2 for good stat block, separated from a clear mechanics block (again, no character intro here prior to the action starting)
  • +1 for being effective at zipping around, making use of that haste spell
  • +1 for playing the part of the bait here. Confusion about this potentially being a pvp issue was cleared up with some further reading. A little more explanation could have helped avoid that
  • I would have liked to give more points here too, but Orisk ended up being mostly a one trick pony with moving quickly due to haste. The RP section of the posts really needs more meat on them as well to get up to the quality we expect for Outplay.
Total +5

Hafrogman playing Edvik
  • +2 for very good action and stat blocks, clearly tracking everything needed. (Missing a better character into before the action started though. We kind of had a paragraph, but not enough to give a point for)
  • +5 for staying focused on keeping the kids safe. Edvik in the end didn’t really play the hero, but he kept the danger at bay long enough for help to arrive. And, took a beating doing it too.
  • +1 for consistently great posts the whole round.
Total +8

oztk playing Berthe
  • +2 for a very good intro to your character here, before the temptation to dive right into the action
  • +2 for good stat block, separated from a clear mechanics block
  • +1 for having to make a hard choice on who to try and save here. While the posts were really good, this one was long enough that I missed the intent at the end of it. That is probably an issue of me having a short attention span though.
  • +1 for saving the day with the Kobold kids. Edvik did the work to keep them safe, but without someone’s help, there wouldn’t have been any rescue points given out on that end.
Total +7

MontageManiac playing Kayne
  • +1 for a good character intro
  • +2 for very good and clear stat block, and mechanics section.
  • +1 for trying out the Darkness trick. This often works well for sorcerers, but in this case, just happened to not.
  • +1 for sticking with those kids, and keeping them from being shark bate. Ended up being fairly costly for Kayne in terms of resources.
  • +1 for trying to help out with the Kobolds. It wasn’t enough to give shared rescue credit for, but it shows Kayne’s tenacity.
Total +7

TheRatQueen playing Kethra
  • +1 for the short character intro
  • +1 for the clear stat block
  • Unfortunately, we had a lot of missed posts this round, and some mechanics issues really could have completely derailed Kethra’s effectiveness this round. The first couple of posts were really good, and of the quality we are looking for in Outplay. Just missing the consistency of them.
Total +2

Last edited by Bhelogan; 07-19-2019 at 09:46 AM.
Old 07-18-2019, 02:33 PM
Creature of the Deep

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4555
Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith
Kalas"There!" Kalas smacked his parchment down on the table where the other judges had been waiting. "It's done."

The young man breathed a sigh of relief. It hadn't been easy, keeping an eye on four different places and fifteen different contestants, but he'd managed. He'd done it all while dealing with the chaotic storm of activity that had occurred simultaneously in his patron's realm.

"Right," Kalas said, sounding more like a man worn thin than an all-powerful being backed by a patron of great and unknown power. "Now I've got to go."

His eyes blinked and when he opened them they were a solid, royal blue. The ground opened up beneath him and he disappeared with a splash.

My scores
East Gate Point Total
Azure Nokori 2
Bio 5
DanshiiWithWulfs 8
GleefulNilhilism 9

West Gate Point Total
AlphaP 11
Cereal Nommer 9
Drachenspirit 7
Zinrokh 13

North Gate Point Total
Auron3991 7
cchrome77 6
Silk 10

South Gate Point Total
hafrogman 9
MontageManiac 12
Oztk 16
TheRatQueen 3

Last edited by Wynamoinen; 07-18-2019 at 05:08 PM.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:32 AM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
CuchulainenThe group rises back up the spiral staircase, and out of the Tower. The vast plains of the continent stand between you and the Labyrinth. Time to press on.

"Now. We mostly did better, this time around, making things happen together. You all saw, surely, and going in half-cocked and alone was no plan here. Get you killed, quick-like. I saw some using yer arm, and some using yer head. And that's all good. Some of yeh, I saw adapting to circumstances quick. Others not so much. That's a problem. Gotta change, gotta move, gotta adapt. That's how you stay alive, that's how you win.

"Sometimes there's a suffering child, and there's nothing you can do for it. If you keep fretting there, and the fretting leaves 6 others to be ignored and felled, what's been done? Noble suffering is still suffering. Sometimes there's a nasty bugger and you ain't got the stills to stomp it. If you keep trying to stomp, when you could have used the time to trap a couple of man-eating tigers, who's been helped? You get frustrated and men get eaten. It's hard on the pride to move on. And it's scary to make the choice that right for you. And risky. That's our business, at The Square of Nine."
OOCCongrats all in finishing out Round 2! Each room brought its own challenges. Even when those challenges were frustrating, I saw people keep writing, and creating, and contributing. I've been in that spot, and I appreciate the fortitude it takes to stick with it - to both use that frustration as an inspiration, while not dwelling on it too much.

I used my same judging rubric as last round, and my point maximums per room were doubled. So as a rule of thumb, if I gave you MORE than double the points this round as last, it means I thought you improved. If I gave you less, it means I thought you fell off some. If I have you around double, it means you kept on your pace. I judged each day on its own merits, but this interpretation can provide you some guidance as to your trajectory.

As with last time, I'm not providing a ton of detail for any given player on any given day. I will say...
  • while walls-of-text are often a sign of lots of effort and creativity, huge amounts of content in every post are NOT AT ALL necessary to score big in my book. I encourage you to compare the typical posts of my top two point-getters this round.
  • There was a fair bit of metagaming in a few threads. While some of this is inevitable (in part, because it's a game with rules, and in part because different people have different definitions for the term, and that's OK), when it got egregious or repeated, I did take points away.
  • Some rooms were more frustrating than others, and some rooms did not rack up as many kills. Since we have another point system for that, I did my best to divorce my judgments from mechanical success. Dealing with frustration and failure well is part of being a good player, and I did my best to reward it. Dealing with frustration with repetition or lackluster strategy probably lost you some points.

The punchlineThe table below gives my point grants to each 5e player. A large image of my tracking spreadsheet is spoilered below. You should be able to zoom in on your browser or download to your computer to see in clearer detail.

Player Character Judge award
Group 1  
AlphaP's Psyliana Amastacia 19
cchrome77's Robinette 2
Cereal Nommer's Eugene de Gesincourt 27
DanshiiWuthWulf's Vordur Blackburn 20

Group 2   
Auron3991's Orisk Talvihas 10
Drachenspirit's Raza Vanotar 15
hafrogman's Edvik, the Bastard 22
Zinrokh's Ikol 19

Group 3   
GleefulNihilism's Bryn Anvilsong 10
MontageManiac's Kayne Cyire 22
oztk's Berte 'Mitty' Bovary 28
Silk's Vash Vin Vishara 22

Last edited by Wynamoinen; 08-02-2019 at 08:21 AM.
Old 07-29-2019, 02:48 PM
Of the Fartnocker Clan

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 35249
Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak
left-aligned image
"Yes...Yes! Yes! Oh, by the gods yes!" Mifflewerf Fettlegrew shouts as he floats out above the group, carried by the gust of wind he called Bluster. The frown he had after the end of the first contest was gone and his face was now wreathed in smiles.
right-aligned image

"Look at those ears! Those beautiful ears!" the painted gnome says with a wide smile and a nod. "They work! And work oh so much better than I ever thought!

You listened. Every one of you listened. Huzzah!!! "
he squeals, his hands clapping together in delight.

"Style! Such style and grace, exactly what I wanted to see. The kind of style I would expect from a member of the nine. And that is something I don't say lightly." he says, the look on his face shifting from jovial to dead serious mid-sentence.

"But I can’t just tell you how wonderful you all are. No, no, no, that won’t do at all. You need to learn, to grow - and you’ll only do that if I point out your mistakes. I know, I know, I am really good at pointing out people’s flaws. What can I say? It’s a gift." Mifflewerf says, holding his hands up before you have a chance to compliment him.

"So here is my critique... You have wonderful, wonderful ears - but I question what you've got between them.

You were given options on where to proceed, each of them tailored to into the strengths of people with different talents. One of you chose the path where they could be the most successful, but the others simply followed him blindly."
he says with a differential nod towards Zephaniah.

"The three of you would have had fared far better in any of the other rooms, even the one with the dragon - and probably even if you had gone on your own. But you allowed yourself to be led by another." he explains, pausing for a moment. He looks off into the distance as he reminisces about his own battle with a dragon before joining the Nine. He had played on his own strengths then, his magics powerfully impacting the mind of the dragon, changing it's taste for meat and creating the world's first and only vegan dragon.

The strange gnome shakes his head vigorously as he works to get the stray thoughts out of his head before he continues, a serious look once again on his face.

"The Nine has no need for people who will blindly follow the commands of others. We want leaders, people with their own ideas and thoughts... You have the mechanics down and you’ve added style. Now you need to think about what you are doing. Think about the consequences of your actions." he says, his eyes going wide as he sends a telepathic message to each of the contestants.

The message came to you in the form of a song, sung by a woman with the passion and beauty of a soulful queen. Long after Mifflewerf slips from your view and the song fades, a single word resonates in your mind.

Think

Below is a round by round explanation of the discretionary points that were awarded.

Last edited by Wynamoinen; 08-02-2019 at 08:21 AM.
Old 07-31-2019, 12:39 AM
The Lord of Gifts

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16543
wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine
Kokabiel Strix The Lord High Commander stands near the raving little gnome with his arms crossed.

As you stand there, dumb struck by the kind and encouraging words of the you can’t help but wonder what scathing rebuttal brews behind the darkness obscuring the face of the Lord High.

Are you quite finished?

The baritone voice finally resonates through the chamber as Archmage Mifflewerf Fettlegrew finally slows to a normal speaking speed and eventually stops all together.

If you’ve finished dispensing unsolicited advice, we need to get going, we’re already late. And I’d hate to keep anyone waiting.

Kokabiel turns to lead everyone through the portal but stops just before entering.

That was not wholly disappointing. Perhaps you are not as incompetent as I had initially thought.

Going to take one more step, he stops one more time, Try not to make me regret those words.

And with that the Lord High led you out of the warren and the tower, and on to another grand adventure, and another new hell.

Truth I want to make sure you all know how very Yes even you!proud of you I am. Squeak and I begged you to step up your writing game, and you did. It made this round ever so much more enjoyable. We asked you for better and you certainly delivered. We asked you for more, and you delivered.

But now I want to ask you for something else. Less.

Not lower quality, but less.

The number one most important thing I learned in my creative writing classes is the importance of writing pithily. If you can say something in 10 words instead of 100 and get the same emotional effect – use 10 words. Your reader will thank you.

Right now, you’ve got nice stewed taters, some fine roasted leeks and carrots, and a bunch of herbs and spices but they're floating in a thin broth. Turn the heat up, boil it down – enhance the flavor.

We started with nowhere to go but up, but now we have to focus to make sure we don’t slide back into bad habits.

Points BreadownGeneral Notes:

I will use the Squeak system of points because I like consistency. 40 Points, doubled at the end.

Avoid walls of text. Some minor formatting, small images, maps, font changes, etc can help break up eye strain and make good use of negative space.

As mentioned above – be pithy when appropriate.

Try not to use the same word repeatedly. It creeps into my writing too.

And as always, show – don’t tell.

While I will not be distributing any points based on mechanics, I will award points for writing, evoking, creativity, and potentially shenanigans.

Last edited by Wynamoinen; 08-02-2019 at 08:20 AM.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:25 PM
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23268
MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar
Round 2

80 points to be allocated maximum

Antipode
- I liked the intro, your best post of the round +2
- Writing is pretty good +4

Total: 6 x 2 = 12

Quiksilv
- Writing amazing +4
- This round your character was the most entertaining to me, was fun to read +6

Total: 10 x 2 = 20

Gaijin
- Writing good and bonus for nice formating: +6
- Mechanics was doubtful in some posts

Total: 6 x 2 = 12

Scimmy
- Flashbacks are fun +2
- In general good tactical choices +2
- Best writing of the round I think, in particular the last post +6
- Additional background information +2

Total: 12 x 2 = 24

Sorry guys for not writing a fancy post with my judging and more comments. I'm moving my whole family abroad at the moment and it wasn't plan. However, I did took the time to carefully read each post of course.

Old 08-01-2019, 02:56 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20040
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Combat Scores Expanded
"Time to see who is a murder hobo, and who I wouldn’t mind sharing a battlefield with. Sometimes there is more to a fight than just killing things. Like making sure everyone gets out alive, or helping others access in their roles." The Druid pulled out his now-familiar quill and parchment, with notes and lines scribbled onto it.

Discretionary Points for D&D 5E Round 2
Zinrokh playing Ikol
Ikol picked probably the hardest room to be successful in, but he was also one of the best equipped to handle it. A bit of a mechanical hiccup early with trying to use Guidance to influence a save, which doesn’t work both because of the bonus action called out by the DM, but also because it helps ability checks, not saving throws. Sorted out though, and the round ended up being pretty successful after that. Clear reason for room section, good RP, and clear description of actions.
Total +18

Hafrogman playing Edvik
Good job of not splitting the party here. Edvik is also one of these characters that is fairly well equipped to handle the Nilbogs. Of everyone that entered this room, I think Edvik had the best strategy together, and felt mostly in control (as much as you can be).
Total +20

Drachenspirit playing Raza
Really enjoyed the interaction with the other players posts here. Raza, apart from the first round of brutal destruction, was pretty well neutralized by the dependence of making a saving throw vs. her dump stat this round. Although splitting the party is rarely a good idea, in this case, she probably would have done better in one of the other rooms. Still, the writing and handling of the situation were done like a pro.
Total +16

Auron3991 playing Orisk
Orisk was smart to not follow the crowd here, and instead take ‘the crowd’ gate. I feel like he would have been better off sticking it out in this room, than joining the rest of the group, half-way through the round, in the Nilbog room, from a points perspective. Overall, he had a few successful actions, but never got the feel that he was in control of the situation. The writing was not quite up to par with the rest of the group.
+12

GleefulNilhilism playing Bryn
Bryn’s RP was decent, and I liked his motives. He was effective in combat. I highly recommend separating out combat mechanics into an separate OOC fieldset, and making each action, bonus action, move, and roll there with clear labels. I don’t think I ever once saw a position posted, or a movement listed. For me, the mechanics part was just to hard to follow.
Total +10

oztk playing Berthe
This might sound odd, and the other judges may disagree, but I think we are hitting the point where there is TOO much writing and extra story stuff going on in your posts. Especially for a combat round that lasts 6 seconds, sometimes we get minutes of dialog crammed in there. Beyond that, actions were very clearly stated, and easy to follow. Berthe ended up being a pretty good wrecking ball.
Total +20

Silk playing Vash
I didn’t see the DM ever address this, but stat modifier on damage for your bonus attack for two-weapon fighting, only happens if you happen to have that fighting style (from the fighter or ranger class). So, all the bonus weapon attacks should have been just flat damage dice. Other than that, I think you had a really nice balance of a clean, well-written RP section, and easy to follow mechanics. I especially appreciated the support actions with the Darkness spell.
Total +18

MontageManiac playing Kayne
The first and last posts invoke the same comments I gave oztk above, but those two, I think it was a pretty good balance of RP, and well laid out mechanics. Kayne did his job here, being a wrecking ball, and communicating with the team as needed to get the job done. Great job with the contingencies as well.
Total +20

Cereal Nommer playing Eugene
Eugene picked a room that is almost impossible to be successful in solo, and at one point successfully had all 3 targets neutralized. That was pretty impressive. Throwing out the fire elemental was a bit of a gamble, and a riskier move than I think most people took it for initially. (Fail a save, and it becomes catastrophic). Writing was good, nice balance of RP and easy to follow mechanics.
Total +22

DanshiiWithWulfs playing Vordur
Brave move here going in a different direction than the first party member. Vordur was well suited to handle ‘the crowd’ room though, and got the kobolds to adjust their plan of attack to simply be, stay away. He paired well with Psyliana, enjoyed the RP, and clear easy to follow mechanics.
Total +20

AlphaP playing Psyliana
Psyliana and Vordur made a pretty good team, and picked the room that was probably the best suited to their skill sets. The RP was good, and overall good use of mechanics. The Fire Elemental could have turned out disastrous, if a single concentration check was missed. There were a few points were decisions were clearly made from a meta-game point of view. In many games this isn’t an issue, and sometimes encouraged (including some I run). Here, however, I felt it hurt the narrative just a bit.
Total +18

Old 08-01-2019, 05:32 PM
Creature of the Deep

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4555
Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith
KalasSopping wet and glowering, Kalas stood with the rest of the judges as their votes were cast. He had bags under his eyes and the downcast look of a man who hadn't been ready for the power his pact had brought him.

Discretionary Points by Party
Party 1 Points
AlphaP 20
Cereal Nommer 22
DanshiiWithWulfs 28

Party 2 Points
Auron3991 8
Drachenspirit 18
Hafrogman 16
Zinrokh 22

Party 3 Points
GleefulNihilism 16
MontageManiac 16
Oztk 22
Silk 14

Old 08-12-2019, 12:08 PM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
Game worldThe glowing portal beckons, but no judges are around to critique your performance. Has judgement already been rendered?

OOCCongrats again on wrapping up another week of Outplay! At this point, all judge choices are hard, and justifications seem more and more like counting angels dancing on the heads of pins. And yet, count I must. All contenders would be formidable opponents in the last round, and great people to sit at a gaming table with.

I used my same six-item rubric (you can look at my old judge posts if you need a reminder), and I've shared my table of daily point totals as usual. But now that the field of competitors is smaller, I will provide some more directed feedback.

Individual feedbackFirstly, the group that suffered through my GMing for the week did wonderfully, in those last three posts, at creating a joint narrative that bound the three of you together while keeping your individual stories distinct and important. Very, very nice, all around.

AlphaP as Psyliana: +23 points
Oof, a brutal round for Psyiliana. You did a very good job sticking to the story, and turning a frustrating set of events into a sort of redemption arc. I think you let unfamiliarity about the structure, and negative outcomes for Psyliana, get the better of you early on - there is quite a bit passive-aggressive sniping at both not to mention some god-modding there at the startcharacters and the GM in there. But you came back very strong at the end.

Cereal Nommer as Eugene: +26 points
Strong throughout. Despite Eugene's own doubts, his solutions often had the merit of simplicity - they were just as successful, if not moreso, on the first two obstacles while spending fewer actions than others. The whole group skewed towards melodrama towards the end (I don't mean that pejoratively! I love me some melodrama), but I think in many ways it felt most "earned" for Eugene.

oztk as Berthe: +28 points
My biggest problem is that Berthe often does not feel 'present' in the scenario, since she's so caught up in backstory and flashback. I'm giving you the highest points in the group, so I definitely don't want to oversell this critique. But we still have posts that are kind of overwhelming in length, and go perhaps a little too far afield from the scenario at hand. You're always doing it in service of the current encounter, and the writing is always well-thought-out and well-executed. But you're sometimes falling on the wrong side of the "so many words!" line, not to mention the "so many things going on!" frontier. The posts always felt worthwhile and rewarding. But they often had a feeling of trepidation, diving in, seeing all the text and sub-sections that were to come...

I really liked how mechanically creative Bhelogan's group was throughout. The creative linkage of your actions to your character sheets was well-executed and inspiring. The downside of this is that individual and group narrative sometime was shifted a little more towards the back burner that I would like.

DanshiiWithWulfs as Vordur: +24 points
I'm feeling some Outplay fatigue coming through in your posts. Vordur is a little more one-note than I'd like - he has his faith and his Order, and the challenges that come with that - but I'd like to see more about the complexities of who he is, beyond "noble cleric dwarf". There isn't as much interaction with other characters as I prefer. Each post is well done! I wish Vordur was a little more present as a personality.

MontageManiac as Kayne: +18 points
You've done great throughout, and mechanically this round Kayne really shone in those first two obstacles. On the "softer" side of writing and character, however, I think that this Round is where a relatively less-fleshed out backstory bites you in the ass. Like Vordur, Kayne has an Order. And Kayne has a desire to live up to the memory of Nadia. But that's sort of the extent of who he is. He would feel like more of a character, more of a real person, if I could feel more from him - a hidden silly streak, an uneducated background, a phobia of dwarves, a quirk of speech, whatever. These all give a character sparkle, and demand more explanation as the story develops.

Zinrokh as Ikol: +31 points
This was a tough round for Ikol - the second two obstacles are quite fundamentally about self-sacrifice for a goal, and this is diametrically opposed to Ikol's whole thing. While there is no arc to Ikol's story, which many other players have, and which I do miss, each post is a delight, and works on its own terms. The character provides endless opportunity for shenanigans and laughs (special commendation here for "Mad Gob 20/20"). I do worry that you expose yourself to the danger of a hollow center, or at least giving the reader that impression.

Last edited by Wynamoinen; 08-16-2019 at 02:27 PM.
Closed Thread