Notices

Old 07-15-2019, 10:28 AM
Of the Fartnocker Clan

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 33959
Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak
Feedback thread

This is a feedback thread designed to help the organizers of 2020 Outplay better design the tournament. Feel free to discuss your thoughts and ideas in the OOC thread and post any thoughts and recommendations on this thread.

Please note that the goal of this tournament is to reward the best PLAYER. This includes all aspects of PbP, including effectiveness, ingenuity, character development and writing skills. This is the one thing that will NOT change from year to year -- and we would ask that any recommendations made have the tournament goals in mind.

This is not to be used as a complaint thread. Any posts that contain disagreements with the decisions of the GM's or the judging will be deleted from this thread. However, we are definitely open to ideas and suggestions on things we could do to improve the experience of the tournament.

We are asking that each person submit no more than ONE post on this thread, although it could be as long as you would like it to be and you may edit it as you see fit. Both players and readers are welcome to put suggestions here.

There will not be any responses to recommendations from the organizers on this thread.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:45 AM
Master of Undeath

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9637
Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul
Outplay 2019 Feedback -- Yuul1: A set/highly 'encouraged' site background for Outplay. Preferably mandatory in the case of the judges for when they are judging. Of course, as the judges they would be the ones to come together and pick which one.
  • Example: Drake/Parchment/Shadow/etc.
The purpose of this is to have a set viewing standard for which contestants can design their posts and how they are formatted and spaced. Judging points are heavily based on style, and how one views/reads a post has a hearty impact on that. I've been using the one I am now since selecting it almost from when I first joined the site(ten years ago), and another friend has been using their own different one for twelve years now. Out of curiosity and general randomness I asked why there was bolded yellow text in his posts when it wasn't readable that way and learned that it was completely different for his own site settings. Naturally I browsed through a few more of them I noticed a far more relevant and important fact, in my opinion of course, with regards to formatting.
  • Formatting Issue: Paragraph thickness and spacing.
The different viewing backgrounds/settings have different, sometimes vastly so, posting widths. For example, the one I use has posts go from one side of the full screen to the other, others have less. In the case of one in particular it is outright halved. I am bringing all this up as one particular judge's constructive feedback was that some of my own paragraphs were rather thick to the point of getting close to being 'walls of text', so in my opinion a set viewing setting standard for the judges(that they communally decide amongst themselves) that we contestants, and heck the spectators as well, can all be informed of is in fact a rather important matter. In a contest such as this, style can be nearly everything.

2: An 'Around the Campfire' Mini-round. Think of it as Round 0.5, where for a few days after the applicants are chosen and split into their first groups, those groups get a thread for three or four days to properly introduce and interact with each each other, and explore their motivations and personalities. The only DM post required would be the intro and outro post, unless their character wishes to react to the conversation. In this round no one would be eliminated, but the judges could perhaps have and dole out an amount of points up to half the judge points they'd have in a normal round. IE: a total pool of 5 per player per judge instead of 10. This would serve the following purposes.
  • Getting in character: A warm up round to better get in touch with their character going forward without too much on the line. Also providing a starting point for character development, which is one of the important things Squeak mentioned above.
  • Getting to know your fellows: Being introduced and possible getting the start on possible future interactions with the others. Learning who your character likes, who they potentially trust, who they can't stand, etc. Additionally this is excellent for the spectators for much the same reason.
  • Early Judge Feedback: Getting constructive criticism from the judges in regards to writing style, formatting, and other smaller nuances that can be improved, as well as what you're doing well.
  • Fun: Plain and simple, it would be enjoyable for the competitors. This season we opened right into the frying pan before being promptly dumped into the fire. The best we managed were some one-sided introductions in our opening posts that all felt rather flat one way or another.
I know this would have helped for those of us in the Pathfinder Bracket but I imagine the others would have enjoyed something like this as well. Regardless of whatever else I put on this last, this is likely to be the number one thing I'd love to be implemented or considered for next year's season.

Last edited by Yuul; 07-28-2019 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:50 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12466
OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness
suggestions for next time
1) tactical maps whenever possible I found a lot of my questions involved where things were, the distance of something, etc

2) the mission was designed for 4 players I am guessing as the bracket was expect to be 16 and the D&D thread seemed to have 4 per, if less than 4 players mission should be adjusted accordingly, only if possible or it makes sense. Reading final post may not truly be an issue since there was no penalty for not saving a child, but it does play into how we think our characters might act.

3) for possible class balancing as some classes have their bluffs built in vs being activated, possibly include a buff round previous to start of actual game play rounds, players cant move or effect anything but themselves draw a weapon, drink a potion, cast a spell etc

4) The fact that round 1 was the skill round I think should have been more clearly laid out, for instance take this post HERE, it would have been a perfect opportunity to say x is skill, y is combat round, etc, there was no mention of it in round 0 thread for pathfinder apps, the only place it was mentioned was HERE hidden in the spoiler (which is fine there was other stuff in there as well) but even then its followed by "Combat is certainly an option here". Four rounds in somebody mentions this isn't the combat round and I am rethinking my life choices, possibly for next time maybe the skill round shouldn't be camouflaged like a combat round round or if combat is an option let it be a possible way of winning it but the player is slimming their chances in the actual combat round.

5) Judging by Squeaks post I think there was an unrealistic expectation of what type of post is expected in a 6 second game time round, you are expecting the players to do a POTM quality post (which are almost never ever combat round posts, and are usually not done daily for 7 days straight). Set a time for six seconds and think, do and act in that six second period tell me what you truthfully come up with in such a short period of time. Most of you like initial posts by characters but it was the only one where we could really add some back story or converse with others (one sidedly cause we only got one post and we can't assume what others would say), so an alternative way of doing that is to have a couple posts before the skill / combat rounds and then at the end give us a couple posts as well outside of combat and we can give the full experience and allow our characters to shine through a bit more.

6) lastly, at least up to end of this round, I question the suggestion / statement that we should have just ran in and out grabbing children to maximize points. My logic being if you came across a couple dogs terrorizing a small group of children would you grab two of the kids and run to safety and hope the others weren't viciously mauled before you got back, or would you if armed attempted to attack or scare of the dogs? I would have a tough time like my character in grabbing and running but it sounds like we were penalized if we made that choice cause it didn't fit the expectation.

Last edited by OneDarkness; 07-19-2019 at 12:29 AM.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:51 AM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 699
cchrome77 cchrome77 cchrome77 cchrome77 cchrome77 cchrome77

Last edited by cchrome77; 07-25-2019 at 05:21 AM.
Old 07-28-2019, 10:44 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1188
Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode