RPG Crossing
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 07-17-2019, 04:18 PM
Salted, not sweetened.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 904
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
Family Matters [Witcher TRPG]

Game NameFamily Matters
Game SystemOther Roleplaying Games
ThemeFamily Feuds, Sibling Rivalry, Arms Race and Betrayal
FlavourDark Fantasy & Personal Stories
Plot Summary
Family Matters

Family Matters
A Witcher Tabletop RPG Campaign

A Tavern called the Bloody Wh*resonA lone cloaked man sits alone at a table, hood pulled up as to obscure his facial features as he holds his drink in one hand and in the other, a singular GWENT card. The man looks up from the card in his hand as a warm smile grows across his face as the crackle of thunder begins to stir outside the inn.

"A storm is no weather to be traveling, how about you take a seat, buy a drink and I tell you a tale to pass the time? I can say with confidence this is a tale you haven't heard before. See, I used to know a sorceress, believe it or not. A lovely little lass really, she'd never so much as hurt a fly if the situation didn't warrant it.

This sorceress and I would share a tale or two whenever our paths crossed - which happened more frequently than you might expect. You see, she used to know a Witcher - big bastardin' bear of a man called Osralde. Accordin' to my sorceress friend, the Witcher was missing more than a few chunks when she found him and it was miraculous that he was still alive.

Now, while my friend was tendin' to Osralde's wounds he told her a tale about a family of Nobles he had heard of down here in Temeria. It's a tale like any other: a tale about monsters.
" with this he puts down the GWENT card and pulls the mug to his lips, quenching the thirst that had been building up from such a long ramble "See, unlike most people here, I quite like Witchers. We're similar. Granted, I don't travel the continent slaying monsters, nor do I have the eyes of a cat. But I do travel and I do so with nare more than a fistful of coin. Now come on, take a seat, grab a drink and pick up that deck of cards. I'm about to tell you a tale you wouldn't believe." The sound of thunder once more crackling on the horizon, as clouds roll in over the inn.

So what's the plot?The campaign I have in mind will be focused around a band of players who hail from a family of nobles and their attempts in dealing with an ongoing feud between noble families over a dispute regarding owned land. The player's family (Segert) believe a forest on that borders with the Lasan family is theirs, however, the Lasan continue to claim that they were rightfully given the land by their liege after the second Nilfgaard War. Accusations regarding the Lasan heritage being traitors against the Northern Realms are made and leave a permanent scar on the Lasan's reputation.

Dealing with this feud and even potential in-fighting over control of the Segert family are all things the player party will be tasked to deal with. Later during the campaign, I intend to work the Noble's "Estate" class feature into the storyline as they gain their own land and build upon their name. I don't expect all (if any) of the players to be related to the Segert family itself and will provide an example as to how the different professions could potentially fit into the Segert family:
  • Noble a son/daughter born into the Segert family, directly or extended.
  • Sorceress/Magician, who serves as the Segert advisor.
  • Doctor, the family physician.
  • Druid/Priest who works as a sort of spiritual-healer for the Segert family.
  • Bard could either be a traveling entertainer or someone who works in a number of taverns in Segert-owned land.
  • Criminal possibly serving the Segert family as a spy or informant.
  • Man-At-Arms, the family employed guards/local militia
  • Merchant, sells goods for the family. Both legal and not-so.
  • Craftsman, someone who crafts basic utilities such as farming and hunting equipment or repairs armor for the Segert family.
  • Witcher, a personal witcher for the family and possibly even a protector of the Segert children.
If it's not obvious, I am intending for this game to be dark and there's entirely the possibility that a character might die, whether it's in the jaws of a hungry wolf, the poison of a Nilfgaardian spy or even a Scoiatael arrow. That being said though, I won't be completely ignoring rays of hope or joyous/comical moments. I'm here to write a story about player-made characters in a world I love with other people, not ruin your day with a post about how an Arachas ripped your leg off or how a Katakan devoured your cousin twice-removed.

In this game, I will be sticking to my normal one Witcher & Mage per-party rule. If you're interested in playing a Witcher or Sorcerer/Sorceress, please mention it in your application! I will be rolling to determine who gets to play the party Witcher in a separate thread.

The Character Creation ProcessIf you've any experience with R.Talsorian's Cyberpunk 2020, then you'll no doubt be familiar with the Lifepath character generation. Those not familiar with it, it works a little bit like this: You choose your characters name, race, profession, and sex then roll for a number of factors in your characters life such as Homeland, Family Status, Number of siblings and Life Events (one for every 10 years of living).

In my previous experience of running The Witcher TRPG, I've come to learn that the default starting points of 60 tend to result in superhuman characters for everybody, not just Witchers. As a result of this, I am putting a rule in place - unless your character is a Witcher you cannot have a Physical/Mental stat Unless it's a natural bonusover 7, the same goes for Mages except instead of a Physical Stat, it's a Mental stat.

The total number of points you, as the players will have allocated to spend on your character's stats in character creation are: 49.
In regards to rolling lifepath, we will be handling that in a private thread for each character.
The application deadline is - August 1st

Player ApplicationWhat profession are you interested in playing?: [Noble/If Mage, please select a second/third profession you would be interested in playing.Mage/Doctor/Druid/Priest/Bard/Criminal/Man-At-Arms/Merchant/Craftsman/If Witcher, please select a secondary/third profession you would be interested in playing.Witcher]
What is your experience with the Witcher?: [Read the Books/Played the Games/GWENT Addiction/Binge-watched Witcher George]
What kind of subplots & themes are you interested in seeing?: [Character Lifepath Events/Dealing with Character Rivals/Building the Estate/Monster Slaying]
What is your post frequency? [1/2/3 Posts a week]
Character Example: [An example of a previous character you have played. Any TTRPG system is applicable.]
Post Example: [An example of your posting format/style]

The World of The Witcher'The Witcher' whether you first heard of it through the Sapkowski novels or the CDProjektRed RPG trilogy, it's more than likely you've heard of this series of fantasy novels/games at some point in the past few years. Hearing about it doesn't necessarily tell you what it's about, though. The Witcher is (geographically) based on the war-torn "Continent", where there are three main political bodies to be concerned about: The Redania, Kaedwen, Aedirn, Temeria, Skellige, Kovir & Poviss, The Hengefor's League, Lyria & Rivia, Cidaris, and Verden.Northern Kingdoms, Nilfgaard, Etolia, Vicovaro, Gemmera, Ebbing, Maecht, Mettina, Gheso, Nazair, Mag Turga, Angren, and CintraThe Empire of Nilfgaard & Mahakam and Dol BlathannaThe Elderlands.

In recent history, the two main political bodies of the Continent have been the Northern Kingdoms and their southern neighbor: The Empire of Nilfgaard, which has aggressively expanded and conquered the Nordling kingdoms. Nilfgaard sees the Nordlings as savage and uncivilized, while the people of the Northern Kingdoms typically see the Nilfgaardians as cruel and heartless slavers, of course, that isn't to say every Nilfgaardian or Nordling is loyal to their respective kingdoms.

Below are the summaries of the first two These events are important to the history of the Witcher World but are by no means necessary to read. The "Conjunction of the Spheres" & Witchers information spoilers are the only events I would claim to be a must-read to understand the Witcher world.Northern Wars, these (especially the Summary of the first and second Nilfgaard War) contain potential Book and Game spoilers. You have been warned.

Below are details about The titular monster slayers themselves.The Witchers, Why there are so few Witchers in the world today.The Fall of The Witchers and the The event that brought Magic and Monsters to the world.Conjunction of The Spheres. These may contain spoilers for extended reading materials and the Games, so proceed with warning.

Applicants
UserProfessions of Choice
SalmonMaxMage/Criminal/Doctor
DanshiiWithWulfsWitcher/Craftsman/Man-At-Arms
MairienSorceress/Druid/Noble
WildJessiSorceress/Noble/Criminal
DoubleL1987Witcher/Bard/Merchant
BanewolfMan-At-Arms
Swordplay82Noble/Criminal
UndeadrajibWitcher/Doctor/Merchant
CharlesMPriest/Mage/Doctor

Last edited by Marshmallow; 07-26-2019 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-17-2019, 04:30 PM
Salted, not sweetened.

Tools
User Statistics
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
For quick reference -
Where to find itYou can find The Witcher Tabletop RPG Core Rules on DriveThru RPG, it's also on DriveThruRPG where you can find the free to download Quickplay rules!
Old 07-17-2019, 05:49 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 449
SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax
I'm interested in playing a sorceress! I had a game of this start up on another board that wound up ending early due to the usual PBP reasons, but I had an absolute blast playing it! I have an idea for a character, though I am a little hesitant to get into details if there are random rolls involved with lifepath/whether or not I can be a mage/etc etc.

What kind of information do you need for an application prior to the determination of those details?
Old 07-17-2019, 06:03 PM
Salted, not sweetened.

Tools
User Statistics
It would appear as though the application segment I wrote has disappeared. That's a bit annoying. I'll update that now.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:14 PM
Salted, not sweetened.

Tools
User Statistics
I updated the main post with the application form, sorry about that folks!

Last edited by Marshmallow; 07-17-2019 at 06:14 PM.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:42 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 449
SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax
What profession are you interested in playing?: Mage, Criminal or Doctor

What is your experience with the Witcher?: Played the computer game (Witcher 2 and 3) and played a very well done adaptation of the setting in a 5th Edition D&D game

What kind of subplots & themes are you interested in seeing?: There's few finer moments in RPGing than when a character's story plays into the larger plot...though it's a fine line to walk, ensuring that the past doesn't bog down the present! Lifepath events and rivalries are great though, followed closely by the 'estate building' where applicable. Monster hunting is fine, though I see it more as a means to an end than an end unto itself.

What is your post frequency? Realistically no more than 2, on any kind of a regular expectation.

Character Example: I have a LOT of these, but I'll use the character who's quote I'm citing, for simplicity's sake. Triessa Elrich is a woman who discovered in rapid succession that her parents were wizards, that her college boyfriend was ALSO some kind of wizard, and that she had accidentally empowered him to overcome defenses her parents had put around some kind of...magic thingy...that they were charged with protecting. In the ensuing fracas, she lost her family and her friend, and her very idea of what reality was in one fell swoop. She was, however, left with the house...which contained a pretty good library of magical tomes. And it turned out she had quite an untapped gift for it. She's now out of college, having grown a pretty hard shell around herself (figuratively; you have to be clear when discussing wizards) and is using her magic 'cheats' to make a semi-decent living as a private investigator as she tries to find her parents...who are gone, but possibly not dead...and the rat bastard who used her to get to them.

Post Example:

Last edited by SalmonMax; 07-17-2019 at 06:51 PM.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:50 AM
Salted, not sweetened.

Tools
User Statistics
Added an applicants table for applied users & their first profession of choice.
Old 07-18-2019, 02:42 AM
All Bark & Husky

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1985
DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs
I'm afraid I have to withdraw from this game; Outplay this season is killer and already takes a good chunk of my brainpower. I probably won't have the juice to learn the rules while roleplaying with excellence. Have fun though, everyone!

Last edited by DanshiiWithWulfs; 08-01-2019 at 07:12 AM.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:22 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2703
Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien
ApplicationProfession: Sorceress > Druid > Noble (I'm saying "Sorceress" because I can't seem to write male characters for the life of me...)
Witcher Experience: Having finished The Witcher 3, I only just started reading the books, so I have no more than part of the stories of The Last Wish under my belt, but that's going to change. I absolutely adore the setting and tone of them.
Plots and Themes: My highest priority would probably be on building relationships with the other characters, lifepath event-like things, and the estate building. Which isn't to say the rest is uninteresting.
Post Frequency: Pretty sure I can keep up 2 per week, at times also 3.
Character Example: I've invented and played a lot of characters over the years. Here's one from a D&D homebrew campaign.

Post Example: A post from the aforementioned character.

Last edited by Mairien; 07-19-2019 at 03:33 AM.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:46 AM
Salted, not sweetened.

Tools
User Statistics
Updated the main post with the following applicants, thanks for applying guys!
Old 07-18-2019, 03:23 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 880
WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi
GM, will you take a newbie? I played AD&D and Pathfinder but never played Witcher.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:55 PM
Salted, not sweetened.

Tools
User Statistics
This game is newbie-friendly.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:41 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
This game is newbie-friendly.
Great!
Old 07-18-2019, 09:43 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
What profession are you interested in playing?: Sorceress/Noble/Criminal
What is your experience with the Witcher?: None, just seen a few scenes from a game.
What kind of subplots & themes are you interested in seeing?: Character Life path
What is your post frequency?: I can post daily
Character Example: & Post examples From 3.5 game
Name: Lita
Race: Succubus
Class: Succbus/Exalted Arcanist
Personality: Outgoing and friendly with others. She's a flirt and enjoys having fun. She does keep her guard up though, knowing her secret can cause chaos with most folks.
Appearance: In her natural form, she stands at 6 feet tall even, her dark green eyes shown from her face with her long silky brunette hair hanging down to her voluptuous body down to her mid back. A very beautiful being except for the horns on her forehead and bat like wings at her back to give her flight. Although she can shapechange her appearance to human, elf, and half-elf, give or take a few inches of height, her favorite form is that of a 5'6 human female, preferring to look up at the men than downward, sensing an slight intimation from the men who has to look up.
Background: & Post examples:

Last edited by WildJessi; 07-21-2019 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:49 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
my app is done