RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter google facebook

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 08:58 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 609
Ahab Ahab Ahab Ahab Ahab Ahab
Pathfinder: Modern Tactics Alpha

Game NamePathfinder: Modern Tactics Alpha
Game SystemPathfinder
ThemeMerging Pathfinder with Rainbow Six
FlavourModern Tactics, Gunfighting, Wizards with Guns, Camouflage and Staffs
Plot Summary
Introduction
Modern Tactics, Ancient Lore: A Playtest Alpha

left-aligned image

Thank you for reading! This isn't a normal advertisement because it isn't a normal kind of game. This isn't a campaign or encounter, but really it's a playtest and a solicitation for those that want to try it out or help!

My two biggest hobbies are roleplaying and militaria. However, roleplaying options for gunfights out there leave a lot to be improved, and the ones that do it best tend to be light on the story. I find myself tired of the stereotype stories and wanting a bit less emphasis on "gritty realisim" and more on the fun that a fantasy D20 system brings. So I've resolved to bring the elements I want into my favorite roleplaying system.

It's time to finally answer the burning question: What if Gandalf had a Kalashnikov?

My Goal
So what's the goal here?

Great question: I want to compile a splatbook.

No need to be crazy official, I don't plan on trying to submit to any publishers or distribute it for money. At the end of all the testing and ironing out, I'd like to have something concrete that I could hand to players in my in person campaigns that they could digest easily and get playing. Likewise, I'd like it to be a fun change-of-pace option for other DM's out there who may want something similar but don't have the time to dedicate to ironing out all the details.

What I Need
So What Do You Need Us For?

Dang, you guys are full of great questions! What I need is people to play test and help create equipment tables. I've started a rudimentary list that covers the basics but there can be much, much more. Balancing always requires some hands-on time with the written system.

How I Plan to Work This

right-aligned image

There is a two-fold plan of attack here. One is via this forum, and the other is via Discord. I find it's easier to explain in bullet point format:
  • There will be a forum to act as a hosting space (Thank you RPGX!)
  • Here we will post our works in progress, tables, characters, etc.
  • There will be no applications, anyone who's interested in helping and playing can.
  • There is no story here, play tests will be small encounters to see how things balance
  • Players can use the same characters throughout or create a different one for each scenario
  • I will create an encounter and pick from those that wish to participate
  • We run it, talk about what worked, what didn't, and tweak from there
  • I will start a Discord channel for those who use it
  • We can use that to post quick ideas, musings, or talk about items
  • We may utilize that medium for very quick encounters for those able

P6
What the Hell is P6?
Here's a link: http://p6codex.com/

One of the largest issues with homebrewing Pathfinder is that high levels start to get pretty busted pretty fast, especially for casters. I solve this balancing issue by intending this sytem to be run in conjunction with P6; which is a system that institutes a level cap at the 6th. Beyond that advancement is through epic feats.

This will keep the intended weapons actually lethal without having to resort of the general DM fiat of making sure martial characters are loaded with impossibly rare magical weapons and things like that. It should keep the flavor of a world with magic and exotic races without having to resort to a ton of band-aid methods to deal with a BBEG that would essentially be bulletproof.

Progress
Is It Ready for Playing?

Pretty much, the skeleton of it is there, I just need to start adding meat to the bone.

Much of the gunplay is going to be similiar to the rules of D20 modern, but I've modified some elements. Considering how devastating the damage for guns are in the Paizo universe (especially against 6th level folks) I've created a ballistic plate system that uses a scaling Damage Reduction mechanic rather than AC. Ranged attacks from guns resolve against touch AC, so folks will get hit a lot. I'm hoping that coupling that with a simple DR mechanic with the equipment will make it so even the most advanced characters aren't getting slaughters in just a couple rounds. Ballistic plates do stop bullets, after all, just how plate armor may stop an arrow.

This is likely the system that needs the most balancing. Won't really know until we get some rounds in!

Getting Started
How Do We Get Started?

Easy, just post here showing your interest, ask questions, and let me know if you want in! Games on RPGX are created based on having enough support. At a minimum I'll need at least four players to act as PC's for encounters to test the systems, but I will accept many more!

PC Requirements

What sort of person would I like to join my playtest? Really, I don't ask for much beyond an open mind and the willingess to provide good feedback. You needn't be intimately familiar with Pathfinder itself to be helpful, just playing the encounters will be very appreciated!

Of course, upon the conclusion all involved parties will be credited for their contribution! How cool would it be to have an RPGX in-house created splatbook?

Old 07-18-2019, 09:27 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 307
Banewolf Banewolf Banewolf Banewolf
I'd be happy to try and help you out, consider me interested!
Old 07-18-2019, 09:43 AM
All Bark & Husky

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1985
DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs
I don't have any of the Pathfinder books, but this is the sort of crazy that I'd be crazy not to take part in!

I have never used Discord. Will that be a problem?
Old 07-18-2019, 04:11 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1227
RacesWild RacesWild RacesWild RacesWild RacesWild RacesWild RacesWild RacesWild RacesWild
Game sounds interesting. However, you should take a look at the book Mercenaries: Born of Blood. It is a fantasy rpg [ie elves, humans, dwarves etc) using modern weaponry.
Old 07-20-2019, 07:12 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanshiiWithWulfs View Post
I don't have any of the Pathfinder books, but this is the sort of crazy that I'd be crazy not to take part in!

I have never used Discord. Will that be a problem?
Not a problem at all, it's just a chat feature. The vast, vast majority will take place here. I really only mean it as a tool with which to keep the discussions about mechanics and games here productive and streamlined!
Old 07-23-2019, 05:07 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2743
Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik
I will throw in my hat. What do you need from us at the moment?
Old 07-24-2019, 09:41 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Great! Right now just interest and support so we can get approved. We can use this thread to brainstorm or ask me questions for now.
Old 07-27-2019, 05:27 PM
The Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 57363
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
bumping so you get more interest
Old 07-30-2019, 11:33 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Equipment tables and firearms mechanics done! Ready for playtesting!
Closed Thread