For all of our sanity...

CharacterInitial DomainAlignmentPlayerApplication Status
Drakkor ShadowmireDarknessCNSeekr34Complete
ArcataMagicNGSalmonMaxComplete
TarenaPlantNGOneDarknessComplete
Darius ThurstonLiberation(Freedom)CGDoubleL1987WiP
Stravadian PaltovurChaos(Revelry)CGRacesWild WiP
SiegredGloryCGGrouchyComplete
Lorrick HireldrimProtectionNGAzrael0037Complete?
Doctor Lin'sa Dal'makaKnowledgeLEtaleteller50Complete
SadiraelEvil(Daemon)NEKyramorComplete
Sarparin?NGMurderInParidiseWiP
Big Folk Deathbringer??MeschieWiP
VaalinMagic(Arcane)NGWhispersWiP
EvronEarthLGJasontheswiftComplete
NavaAir(Wind)LNBanewolfComplete
Mumbles to FireFire(Ash)NEKshnikWiP
ZaubersprucheArtifice(Construct)LNprometheous100WiP
The FoxLuckCNYuulComplete

Let me know if anything is incorrect.

Last edited by Yuul; 08-03-2019 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-03-2019, 08:55 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12566
OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness
Should throw some alignments and domain on there, I feel like there is a lot of evil in the list, you bunch of evil doers you.

Hmmm Yuul you left yourself off the list

Last edited by OneDarkness; 08-03-2019 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:43 AM
Master of Undeath

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9687
Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul
Crap, you're right! Edited! Will be reading some of the other apps later today myself. There is a lot of quality stuff going down here.

Last edited by Yuul; 08-03-2019 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-03-2019, 05:16 PM
Rules of Paradise

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5050
Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis
Thanks @Yuul for the wonderful table, it will really help the review process.

By the way, I am now starting my first full reading of each completed application. Unlike the applications due to the efforts of some very eager over-achievers, my reviews will, hopefully, be quite brief. I will mostly give a set of bullet points of things that work and do not work in relation to the game, hopefully between now and the deadline that will give each of you enough time to polish the character concepts.

As a blanket statement while I review, the standard for what doesn't work for background in applications are sweeping consistency issues that I cannot handwave by the passage of time or magic. This may seem difficult because I did not present a 200-page dissertation on Ardein history, but my gripes entail with characters being directly responsible or having knowledge of world changing events. Such examples include the character having done or knows somebody that:
  • Is responsible for the birth of an entire, non-hybrid species.
  • Killed all of the dragons on Ardein.
  • Mentions of the city of Ulil being populated exclusively by a horde of zombies.
  • Went back in time to prevent the founding of Valosia.
  • Invented personal computers or automatic firearms.

I should be able to cover everybody with a summary review, but if I do not, I will try my hardest to look at the rest of the players by tomorrow night.
Old 08-03-2019, 05:25 PM
Master of Undeath

Tools
User Statistics
Apologies again about the background length Vaerdis. As stated earlier, I partly blame trying out 1st person as the writing style for it. Should I finish the second application, it will use a more standard format. And also be much shorter.

Edit: Added Initial Domain and Alignment to the table. Originally left them out at the DM's comment regarding overlap not mattering, but at OneDarkness's request and personal boredom as well as general 'why not?' I added them in. Also there may have been curiosity regarding overall alignment. We do apparently lean more chaos than law, but the evil/good balance is surprising slightly good leaning.

Last edited by Yuul; 08-03-2019 at 05:52 PM.
Old 08-03-2019, 06:30 PM
Rules of Paradise

Tools
User Statistics
Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis
Aside from a couple examples, there is something I noticed about some apps. There has been an absence of descriptions of the Legendary Items possessed by deities. These aren't simple enchanted items. These should have some meaning to the character and have presence in the player description or background. If you care enough to name your artifact, you should be able to describe how this artifact dagger is different from all other daggers and how, aside from the power value it connects to your character and their recently obtained domain. If players need references, think of Thor's Mjolnir, Jason's Golden Fleece or Argo, King Arthur's Excalibur, or even Sauron's One Ring. These items shouldn't have simply value to character for their stats, but these items should have history that historians (in the game world) would crawl over themselves to possess long after the death of magic.

My summary will be divided into two fieldsets, "good" and "bad". Stuff under the "good" fieldset is typically things I like about the app, want to be expanded upon or clarified. Items in the bad section are points where I felt something was missing, that something couldn't work or might need rewriting entire character aspects to fit in. My apologies for implementing a dichotomy, but unless you are a perfect being, most of my reviews will be populated in the "bad" section.

First cluster of reviews done, and, to my standards, two of the first three complete-listed apps were missing vast expanses of character story to qualify as an 18th level character, much less a mythic-tiered character.

Old 08-03-2019, 06:40 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12566
OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness
Thanks for the insights

Old 08-03-2019, 07:59 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1959
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
Old 08-03-2019, 08:19 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 484
SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax
I have avoided sinking a huge amount of time into the design of Arcata and her item so far, simply because this is a very crowded field with a lot of competition...and because high level character design in Pathfinder is a very time-intensive project.

That said, Arcata's staff is a Staff of Power that has the Intelligent Item legendary ability.

By my reading, with Mythic Rank 1, we only get one legendary ability...though as minor artifacts they can eventually have up to six.

Last edited by SalmonMax; 08-03-2019 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-03-2019, 08:28 PM
Master of Undeath

Tools
User Statistics
I presumed the minor artifact bit specifically called for 6 powers. Either way I haven't been troubled myself to much with mechanics beyond general class planning. Besides if I let myself get caught up in mechanics now I'd have to hold myself back from going at length how some powers I've seen selected are only possessed by Major Artifacts, and so on. These are matters of concern for the DM, and them alone.

Piece of advice SalmonMax, unless the DM specifically says so in the opening post, do not worry about mechanics beyond race and class when writing an application. Almost no DM wants character sheets as part of the application process, it can be done if and when an application is accepted.

For instance I still haven't figured out what my base item will be, and largely deem it to be unimportant to the story aspects of the character. And for the Fox in particular, I also left out race because his angle of backstory made it irrelevant in regards to the rest of the app, even though that would normally not be the case. I'll choose something of suitable nature if he is selected, but not before.

Last edited by Yuul; 08-03-2019 at 08:31 PM.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:03 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Yuul, that's the advice I was following, mostly...hence my not having a detailed account of Arcata's staff already.

That said, I did find myself chewing away a bit here and there at mechanical questions, just for fun. I never get to see these high level options, you know?
Old 08-03-2019, 09:13 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3273
Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy
I will add more info about Honor’s Hand. I made Siegred be a plane hopper so whatever he accomplished that would go against the history/flavor of Ardein to have happened on another plane and wouldn’t be too much of an issue. I can always rewrite whatever section you would feel goes against what you are looking for however.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:13 PM
Rules of Paradise

Tools
User Statistics
Minor artifact, as a part of the legendary item mythic power, has an upper limit of one power per rank, and 3 powers max per time the trait is selected. For brevity I call it an artifact, though an artifact in the book implies greater power. As each character is only first tier mythics, they only get one power for their artifact. Nevertheless these artifacts must be important to your character, not just some pair of socks that the character got on their last christmas.

Everyone that secreted some response to my reviews so far, implement that in your sheet and I may be able to sneak in a second review sunday or monday.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:24 PM
Master of Undeath

Tools
User Statistics
Noted. Only the first one is truly the required one of the lot anyway.

@Salmon: Good to know, was just trying to help, it is nice to see new-ish faces on the boards
Old 08-03-2019, 09:49 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Vaerdis, understood. I'll edit those details into the original submission.

Thanks for the feedback!

Yuul, thanks. It's nice to be here.