RPG Crossing
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 07-31-2019, 11:21 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3280
hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman
I believe Laureline is complete.
Old 08-01-2019, 06:05 PM
Pendragons at Work

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6597
Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon
The game forum has been approved. I have added some rules and other information in the forum if you want to have a look.

I have updated the table. There is just one week until applications are reviewed, but I may cut that even shorter because it seems fewer people are posting interest. If there is no new interest by Friday I will do my reviews over this weekend.

If your character is complete please remember to let me know so I can update the table.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:39 PM
All Bark & Husky

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1985
DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs
I think my app for Flora is more or less complete and ready for feedback.
Old 08-02-2019, 05:13 AM
Oregonian Wyvern

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3779
Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith
[fieldset=Application]Name:Xeric Jolt-Altar
Race: Half-elf
Class: Barbarian Zealot
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Appearance:

Personality: Flighty and distracted but loyal and fierce.
Background: Trait, Ideal, & Flaw picked from Acolyte as they better suit character historyOutlander
Personality Trait: I idolize Gwaeron Windstroma particular hero of my faith, and constantly refer to that person’s deeds and example.
Ideal: Aspiration. I seek to prove myself worthy of my god’s favor by matching my actions against his or her teachings.
Bond: My family, clan, or tribe is the most important thing in my life, even when they are far from me.
Flaw: Once I pick a goal, I become obsessed with it to the detriment of everything else in my life.
Character History

Writing Sample
WIP
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jerediah.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	81172  

Last edited by Numen Wraith; 08-02-2019 at 05:33 AM.
Old 08-02-2019, 05:32 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2121
Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer
Name: Jorlan ĎRagmaní Holowick
Race: Half Elf
Class: Mastermind Rogue
Alignment: Neutral
Appearance: A burly man of middle age, Jorlan doesnít really stand out anywhere. He wears loose, padded clothing to exaggerate the amount of weight he carries and allows his wig or a hat to cover the slight point of his ears so as to pass as fully human. When using his Ragman criminal persona he wears the finest and most foppish of clothing which contrasts with a much more surly disposition.
Personality: On the inside Jorlan is cold and calculating and is always looking for leverage from any situation. On the outside it depends on which persona you encounter him in; he could be a charming, bumbling fool, a paragon of witty banter, or even have the iciest of cold demeanours.
Background: Charlatan
Personality Traits: I always greet strangers with a smile, but you had best not read too much into it.
Sex, drugs, alcohol, gambling; all weaknesses. I wonít do any of them unless it gets me something I want, but Iíll exploit the hell out of the weaknesses of others.
Ideal: Redundancy. Donít count on your plans to go right. Have a back-up, and a back-up to the back-up.
Bond: I started out with nothing, but Iíll show them all that Iím worth as much as anyone.
Flaw: I have a slight tendency to overthink things.

Character History: People usually think that Mourland is boring, and theyíd be right, for the most part. But even in somewhere as dull as that, bad things happen to good people. And that is what Jursko supposed must have happened to his mother. Something bad. Something bad enough that she gave up her child before even getting to know him. Of course this was all a very long time ago, and his mother must certainly be dead by now, taking the secret of her reasoning with her to her grave. Jusko, well, Jorlan as he calls himself these days, rarely thinks about it. He has already lived a long life, as humans reckon things, and is very comfortable with who he has become. But every now and then he has to wonderÖ what if? What if things had been different? What if she had just given him a chance? What if she had loved him?

Maudlin nonsense, of course, and whenever he catches himself thinking these thoughts he shakes it off and forces his brain back into the here-and-now. Or, even better, into the future, for that is where he lives most of his life, in the future. Always planning ahead, watching the patterns turning all around him and placing himself in just the right place to benefit from them. Fester taught him that. Fester, the irascible master of the underworld of Masan, who had taken in a mewling little abandoned half elf when nobody else would. Who had raised the child to be just-like-him. Or had tried, anyway. For years it had worked, Jorlan wasnít too proud to admit it. For decades, in fact, he had thought that Fester was the shining source of all wisdom in the world. It was only after the old man had died, a victim of his own success, that Jorlan had found out that he had been a liar all along. He had known he was a liar with other people, but the agreement was that between themselves there would be no secrets, only absolute honesty. Young Jursko had been a naive fool believing that, he could see that now.

Old Fester had many secrets, it turned out. But the one that meant the most to Jursko was that he had a family! He was happily married and had three smiling, sickening children. He had an entire other life where nothing that either of them had done in the shadows ever intruded.

Now, Jorlanís abiding memory of Masan was standing in the pouring rain, watching the casket of Fester, or Helier Jackmont as he was actually known, being lowered into the earth by strangers. Strangers who had known the man he had thought of as his father far better than he had. Strangers who had basked in his love while he had risked his very life in the darkness in order to keep them in the light.

He didnít blame the children, they were innocents. He didnít even blame Fester. He blamed himself. He should have seen through the act sooner. But, and this was for sureÖ he would never be made a fool of like that again.

So he had left Mourland behind, and all of the contacts that he had built up over the years. They were all reminders of his utter failure and he had to be rid of them. Instead he became Jorlan Holowick of Gourgiphi, a trader. A teller of tales. A man of integrity, of largesse, and steadfast beliefs. And at the same time he was Ragman, the shadowy figure who travelled the kingdoms of the world trading in information. Collecting rumours, lies and tales and weaving them together to find the pearls which were valuable to somebody.

In-character Writing Sample: Jorlan thwacked the mule with the switch and urged it to speed up a little to pass a group of pilgrims on foot. The mule lurched forward straining at the bridle, but barely seemed to get any faster. As the cart, gradually, painfully, drew level with the pedestrians, Jorlan lifted his hat and waved.

"Iíd offer you fine folks a lift, but that would be against the rules, I suppose," he said, indicating the symbol of their god. He actually wasnít sure if they were allowed to accept charity or not, but he did know that the people of the town up ahead were starting to get sick of the floods of pilgrims coming through and begging food and lodging from all and sundry, so turning up at the walls with a brace of them in his cart would make him no friends.

And then as he caught sight of the face of one near the front of the group his eyes narrowed. Well well well.

He had passed through Brareto only six weeks before, but the competition had been too intense; every third-rate Noble had a cadre of spies and informants and every bureaucrat, servant and tradesperson was on the payroll of somebody else to provide information. To somebody like Jorlan, who preferred to keep a low profile, the risk was just too great. But during his short stay he had heard a story about a young noble of the Frey family whom had recently gone missing. It has been assumed he was yet another victim of the constant infighting, and yet here was his double, bedecked in the robes of some ascetic religion. Interesting. Very interesting.
Old 08-02-2019, 06:59 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 40
theenglishslug
ApplicationName: Thodir Thranak
Race: Hill Dwarf
Class: Cleric
Alignment: Lawful Good
Appearance: Brown eyes, brown hair tied back in a neat ponytail, well-kempt beard. Pale skin. Average build for a dwarf. A kind smile for those he helps
Thodir Image

Personality: Thodir is kind and humble, doing his best to serve Kelemvor and ease the passing of those in need. He does his best to see all side of an argument and tries to show those involved the logic in the other side. Despite his gentle and sunny mood, however, he harbors an unyielding grudge against those who interfere with the natural passage of life and death. He abhors necromancers and the undead and will deliver a swift and complete vengeance upon them.

Background: Acolyte
Personality Trait:
-I idolize a particular hero of my faith and constantly refer to that personís deeds and example.
-Nothing can shake my optimistic attitude.
Ideal: Change. We must help bring about the changes the gods are constantly working in the world.
Bond: I will do anything to protect the temple where I served.
Flaw: Once I pick a goal, I become obsessed with it to the detriment of everything else in my life.

In-Character Writing SampleThodir enters the house and can immediately smell the odors that accompany death. "Upstairs?" he asks solemnly to the man before him. The wall-of-a-man in the kitchen just nods, holding back the tears that threaten to push their way out. "Do not fight the sadness, it is a natural part of this process. Let yourself feel fully so that they pass knowing how much you care." At that, the man starts weeping as he sits, his wife's hand on his crumpled back. Thodir heads upstairs and enters the room. Colorful toys litter the floor, a stark contrast to the pale child laying in the bed.

Thodir moves and sits in a chair next to the bed and takes the child's frail hand. "My name is Thodir, I am here to ease your passing child. Do not hold onto the fear in your heart, for you are about to embark on the next wonderful adventure in your life. I know it seems unfair that you should pass before your parents and brother, but this is because you are special!" The child looks into Thodirs eyes with a faint glint and a smile, and Thodir continues. "That's right young one, you have been chosen by Kelemvor so that you might prepare a beautiful home for your family to live in. You could build a massive castle or a manor by the sea. Fill it with loving dogs and gentle cats, and all the toys you could ever hope to play with..."

Thodir's story of the wonders that await the child continues in a soft but enthusiastic voice, and he does not stop speaking until well after the child's fragile heart has stopped beating. Calmly, he utters a prayer to Kelemvor to protect this child in their next life, before closing the child's eyes and covering him with the sheet. He then gets to work preparing the child for burial. When he comes back downstairs, he nods to the family, who hold each other closely. With a nod of gratitude from the mother, Thodir moves on. He leaves the house, and once a respectful distance away, allows a small smile to cross his lips. The child will be safe in Kelemvor's hands, Thodir knows this as surely as he knows his name. He wanders on to the road and heads on to the next soul in need of a guide to the other side.

Last edited by theenglishslug; 08-10-2019 at 06:07 AM.
Old 08-02-2019, 11:04 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3542
anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac
I'm interested, but I'm still trying to think of a character concept.

Are there Drow in your setting? I've seen games where they're all evil subterranean monsters and I've seen games where they can be adventurers of any alignment. Where do they fall in your game? Which kingdoms have notable Drow populations?

How subterranean are the Gnomes and Dwarves in your setting? I read in Braretia that the dwarves in that kingdom forced the gnomes to the surface, and that the Dwarves are itching for war with the surface, so It's probably fair to say that in that kingdom Dwarves are subterranean and gnomes are not. But Apparently Sirus has both kinds of Dwarves. So it looks like I could play either type of dwarf if I were from Sirus, but subterranean gnomes may not be an option.

How far the campaign will go? It seems that the initial chapter will be a dungeon crawl through some catacombs. What lies beyond that? Is there an overarching plot, or is it sandbox? As we're starting off at level 5... if we can avoid becoming zombie chow, how high will our characters get? How likely is the campaign to stay in the city of Tyran, as opposed to branching out to other kindoms?
Old 08-02-2019, 03:37 PM
Pendragons at Work

Tools
User Statistics
Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon
@anamiac - There are no Drow, and if I decide later that I need a new bad group they might just "arise". But, they won't be playable.

Gnomes were natives to the mountains in Brateria and were banished to the surface by invading dwarves. Gnomes are found everywhere. If you have played any Dragon Age games you can think of Hill Dwarves as Surface Dwarves, slightly loathed by their subterranean brethren. Mountain Dwarves have no stigma about being on the surface, if you need to go topside you need to go topside. They just prefer to live underground in their strongholds, moving up to the surface for a generation is what changes a Mountain Dwarf family into a Hill Dwarf family.

After the catacombs I have plans for more encounters in Tyran and a fair bit of plot development before moving on. Character's histories and personalities will be important plot points as well. So, I will be looking for deep and interesting characters.

The campaign is open ended it can go on as long as my imagination can carry it and the players are willing. That is the best part about a homebrew campaign.
Old 08-02-2019, 04:17 PM
Roma Invicta

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1876
Tommyk382 Tommyk382 Tommyk382 Tommyk382 Tommyk382 Tommyk382 Tommyk382 Tommyk382 Tommyk382 Tommyk382 Tommyk382
@Pendragon - Do you have an expected posting rate?
Old 08-02-2019, 05:29 PM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1837
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
The campaign is open ended it can go on as long as my imagination can carry it and the players are willing. That is the best part about a homebrew campaign.
I LOVE this.

I have taken the Oath!
Old 08-02-2019, 06:27 PM
Pendragons at Work

Tools
User Statistics
@TommyK382 - 2-3 per week. You have two weekdays after a DM post to make your post. It is in the rules in the game forum. The game could move as fast as once per day if that is how the players post, but that tends to take a little bit of the quality out of posts.

@Everyone - It looks like we are going to stick to the original timeline now that we have a few more applicants.

Last edited by Pendragon; 08-02-2019 at 06:27 PM.
Old 08-03-2019, 03:14 AM
Simple Storysmith

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8214
MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac
Sorry, posting interest as well. Will try to have something up as soon as I can!

EDIT: actually do you have any lore on the elves in this homebrew setting? Are there any currently at war with humans or a human nation?

Last edited by MontageManiac; 08-03-2019 at 04:44 AM.
Old 08-03-2019, 04:45 PM
Pendragons at Work

Tools
User Statistics
@montage - No worries. Elves are more middle earth than fey in this setting. Naturalists and isolationists, not really wanting to get involved in the business of other races. That is mostly in their home country, Sumunland, where pockets of extreme isolationists will kill or capture other races on sight. There are no active wars with the elves pitted against humans, but there is a fear among humans when the idea of entering Sumunland is brought up. Elves do travel outside of Sumunland and generally they leave their sense of superiority and land husbandry at home. Kind of like, "It is their land to ruin, as long as they stay away from mine." They can incorporate themselves into any society without fail and a few noble families are either fully elven or of mixed lineage (in most countries).

It might be hard to tell from the map, but most of Sumunland is forest, the little triangles are trees. Sumun the capital city of Sumunland is a metropolitan place and tolerance is on display with many races living and working there. The city is run by a council of elders, exclusively elves, from the highest noble houses in all of Sumunland. King Ligoril a'Shro rules Sumunland, but spends most of his time in a palace a days ride outside the city. It is surrounded by trees and carefully manicured gardens. He only comes to the seat of power for dignitary visits. He holds a modest court at his country palace, but it is a rather informal affair with the king often foregoing court for a hunt.

All in all the land that makes up Sumunland is best suited for elves (hunting, gathering and growing a few minor crops), and not as well suited for the human endeavors of farming and herding. Which is most likely why there has never been any real conflict.

I hope that is enough for you to build on. Feel free to add on or improvise what isn't covered.
Old 08-04-2019, 02:44 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1393
fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s
Uncle Ted

Name: Uncle Ted
Race: Human
Class: Cleric (grave domain)
Alignment: LG
Appearance: See image. Ted is a blind old man dressed in commoner's clothing and holding a spade for digging graves. The spade doubles as a weapon of self-defense (quarterstaff). His raven friend Roark is always perched on his shoulder and he frequently consults Roark, asking its opinion before acting. His nieces and nephews call him "Creepy" Uncle Ted (since he was a gravedigger by profession, has a raven for a pet, and carries a shovel to dig graves) but they still love him.
Personality: Ted is obsessed with making sure all the dead get buried. He's always ready to dig a grave and plant bodies six feet under. He kept a record of everyone he's ever buried in a book making notes about cause of death, injuries to the corpse, etc. He made maps and drawings of every grave so he could find them again. Any graveyard managed by Ted is perfectly maintained with flowers planted, grass mown, and stones polished. Despite his obsession, Ted is in no hurry to send the living to the grave. In fact, just the opposite. He helps the injured and sick, doing his best to delay their demise. Ted is light-hearted and likes to joke, mostly about death and dying. Intelligent undead are an abomination to Ted and he detests and destroys them. Mindless undead are more an annoyance to Ted.
Background: Gravedigger. skills: History, Medicine; tool proficiencies: stone mason tools, land vehicles; equipment: Mule and wagon, healer's kit.
Personality Trait: I am constantly commenting, scrutinizing, and inquiring about anything regarding tombs, burial rites, and histories of the dead. I actually have a fantastic, if morbid, sense of humor. I hold one-sided conversations with the dead, and sometimes believe I hear them answering me.
Ideal: Respect. I believe that all men are equal in death, and deserve respect. The dead should at the very least be respected and their legacies remembered as lessons for both the greater good and self-betterment.
Bond: Dishonoring the dead is a personal insult to me. Thus, I detest necromancers.
Flaw: Years of social detachment and seclusion have made me over-analytical, eccentric, and suspicious.
Character History: Ted became a grave digger at an early age to help the family with expenses. He fell in love with the profession, not because he likes death and dying, but because he is performing a service to the living by comforting the living and putting the dead in their final resting place. His morbid profession never attracted many females, but he did marry once. His wife died of disease shortly thereafter and he dug her grave and buried her. He has a dozen nieces and nephews and great nieces and nephews who are the only family that remains. At age 70, he began to go blind. A wandering spellcaster (Ted doesn't know who it was) took pity on his soul, taught him a couple of spells to make his work easier and gave him a raven familiar through whose eyes Ted can see. With his new abilities he did some adventuring, seeking to help the helpless and in some way repay the kindness paid him by the mysterious stranger. He ministered to the sick and diseased and caused some evil creatures enter the afterlife early.
In Character Writing Sample: What's the commotion? What do you see, Roark? *raven squawks conversationally* Ah, zombies. We thought the necromancer left after spreading contagion in the village. Apparently he's back. Uncle Ted had spent weeks in the village ministering to the diseased who had been sickened by the power of evil magic. He had saved most of the afflicted with his medical knowledge augmented by healing magic. He had neatly and reverently buried the not-so-lucky ones. The town graveyard was now a worthy place to receive the honored dead. Bushes pruned, scythe used on the weeds, head stones repaired and new one erected. Now the abominable necromancer has animated some corpses. Shameful! The villagers will see their loved ones and be appalled, haunted by the image of the decaying corpses! We must stop this evil, Roark. Uncle Ted hobbles forward, tapping the ground in front of him with his spade, toward danger while the townsfolk flee in the opposite direction.

**Asking DM permission to substitute the Raven Queen's raven familiar (see https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/d...UAv2_i48nf.pdf) for the spell Find Familiar (taken as Magic Initiate Feat).**

Last edited by fromthe1980s; 08-04-2019 at 02:51 PM.
Old 08-04-2019, 05:17 PM
CommunityCoffee Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9912
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Application
right-aligned image
Name: Scarlett Stormblood

Race: Human

Class: Warlock [Patron - The Raven Queen]

Sex: Female

Alignment: NG

Personality: On the surface, Scarlett seems to change her mind or opinion on things as often as the wind changes direction. She is something of an Enigma, though once someone gets to know her, they know that she can be trusted to a fault, and always does what she says. She only tends to laugh when she has been drinking alcohol, and her sense of humor becomes less dark.
Normally, she has a sarcastic wit, and a no nonsense way of looking at things. She seems to never get riled.

Background: Bounty Hunter

Personality Trait: I am always calm, no matter the situation. I never raise my voice, or let my emotions control me.

Ideal: I trust that my Deity/Patron will guide my actions. I have faith that if I work hard, and follow what has been instilled in me to be right, things will go well.

Bond: I fight for those who cannot fight for themselves, often in memory of those who have passed on.

Physical Description: She stands 5'6" tall with Ebony hair, light blue eyes, and fair skin. She wears fitting clothes, and no armor. She's quite shapely and fetching, and there always seems to be a Raven on her shoulder. She looks at you with a pleasant gaze that seems to say she could smile at any moment.

Last edited by Drachenspirit; 08-08-2019 at 02:25 PM.