RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 08-01-2019, 07:54 PM
Gazebo Destroyer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 374
Evandis Evandis Evandis Evandis
Taskforce Ragnarok: 24 Hours of Dark

Application Deadline
Application Deadline: 8/8/2019 @ 11:59 PM ET
Accepted players will be notified by PM after deadline has expired.

Game Name

Taskforce Ragnarok: 24 Hours of Dark

Game SystemDnD 5e

ThemeInvestigation, Deadly Encounters, World Building

FlavourHomebrew World (Fryst)

Plot SummaryYou are a member of an elite task force in the employ of the Mages Guild, known as Taskforce Ragnarok. You have gained some renown for accomplishing tasks most consider to be extremely difficult at best, nigh impossible at worst. Due to this reputation you have been summoned to the Mages Guild headquarters to be debriefed on a situation developing in the remote northern reaches of the continent known as the Frozen Wastes.

Your destination is a town known as Winterhaven. Representatives from the town have reached out to the Council of Knowledge, the governing body of the Mages Guild, to make them aware that Winterhaven has been experiencing twenty-four hours of night for going on three months. The highest ranking member of the council, Arlyweis of the Moon, High Sage, sent a contingent of researchers compromised of novice members of the guild to investigate and report on their findings.

The band of researchers are known to have safely arrived on the perimeter of the town and set up inside the Sige Inn & Tavern. They sent messages via spell that said as much while also confirming that the town is indeed gripped by twenty-four hours of night. However, after initial communication, all contact with the researchers and town representatives have been lost.

Fearing the worst, the Mages Guild have met and elected to mobilize your task force. Your battle proven effectiveness is desired to further investigate the happenings at Winterhaven and attempt to make contact with the researchers on a rescue mission. Failing a successful rescue, you are to recover what remains of the group.

Fryst

Fryst is a high fantasy setting on a planet that faces an unending ice age. There used to be two moons orbiting the planet in an age with which written history is scarce at best. What is known is that at some point a great battle for the heavens and the lands of Fryst was waged. During this battle one of the moons was cast upon the earth forever altering the trajectory around the planet's star. Fryst no longer passes close enough to the sun to experience any season outside of winter. Instead of having four seasons, the planet experiences seasons that can only be described as heavy winter to extinction levels of cold spells.

This is a homebrew world that is in it's very early stages and as such, the players are going to be granted a lot of creative freedom. Places they will hail from can be completely created by the player with as much or as little depth provided to that places existence. There are some already established areas and the map below will highlight them and with a brief description of what they are if you desire to use them in your backstories to get the creative juices going. The biggest things you will need to know is that alignments are not a major focus of the world, characters tend to be generally good or generally evil in nature and this does not have a real impact on their role-playing options. Good people may do bad things for one reason or the other and evil people may do good things for one reason or the other. You do not have to explain mechanically why your character took such an option, though your comrades may question you in game, in character.

Finally, the next biggest change you will notice is in the way the players worship deities. The pantheon is very small and each race has a minor deity they universally worship if they do worship (atheism is not unheard of, though the gods and goddesses do directly communicate at times and are the source of all divine magic). There is one actual God of the planet, he is silent and has been for a long time. For the time being I am borrowing from other settings and calling him Ao.

Map of Fryst

Map Details
LocationNotes
CairnMajor under-mountain city controlled by the Dwarves. Home to Krugas Steelbeard who died in pursuit of the lich Kanithar.
CitadelStronghold, primarily human population.
The CrescentFormer prison of what was thought to be one of the last living dragons.
Devron IslandPlayer created location in another campaign. Mostly human, run by Maloc Devron a human Paladin.
EdgeportLarge mercantile port and city, mixed population.
EdgewaterMajor elven port city and home base of the elven navy.
EireCity of Celtic like people known for enchanting scarecrows, nearly destroyed in a surprise naval attack in another adventure. Home to Bubwach, a sentient, soul bearing animated scarecrow and hero in the fight against the lich Kanithar.
EndportBirthplace of Fjord Malone, small island used as a resting stop primarily.
Death's DoorStronghold of beast tribes currently engaged in war with the elves.
Elven IslesCollection islands inhabited primarily by the elves.
Folst GroveHome to the legendary elven ranger battalion, The Deepwood Rangers. Also home to Elec Mournbringer and Arilyn Winterhallows, heroes who, along with Fjord Malone, stopped the lich Kanithar.
GruulBarbarian tribe encampment, primarily half-orc inhabitants.
HawkperchHome of the Dragonbon.
IcedaleLocation of another campaign taking place. Off limits.
The Lost IslandAn island with an active volcano inscribed with many mysterious and magic runes that actually turned the volcano into the lich Kanithars Phylactery.
Maiden IsleHome of Genasi, currently being retconned from another adventure that didn't finish.
MythredelStronghold and capital city of the Elven Isles.
New HavenMajor port city and capital of Maiden Isle
New HorizonsPort of call owned and operated by Maloc Devron, part of an attempt to reconcile with the beast tribes of the Southlands and partake in commerce together.
NymphwoodsSupposedly haunted woods, home to many ancient ruins in need of exploration.
The ObeliskIs imbued with high elven magic that has managed to create a false ecosystem in which it's aura spreads to create a constant state of spring. Other races harbor some resentment towards the elves for not further spreading the magic.
Reef HarborDecimated port of Maiden Isle, currently in ruins and uninhabited.
StormholdTower dungeon from another adventure.
Sylvan PiersSmall elven port town of little importance.
Trident PointeMonument dedicated to the hero Fjord Malone who sacrificed his life to put an end to Kanithar, a lich intent on sacrificing the planet to an entity known for eating worlds.
Where the Sky FellCrater thought to be from the impact of the second moon hitting the planet.
WinterhavenPrimary location of current adventure, under DM only control for creative aspects.
Wyr KaldunMetropolis built into and inside of the mountain range formed from the crater. Dwarven homelands.

Fryst Pantheon
Please keep in mind this is a work in progress and some gods and goddesses have been borrowed from other settings and their names could change in future iterations of Fryst adventures.

Fryst Pantheon
LocationNotes
AoActual god of the planet, long since dormant and does not communicate with anyone on Fryst.
BahamutThe god of the dragons and dragonborn.
CorellonThe god of the elves.
GruumshThe god of the orcs and half-orcs.
MoradinThe god of the dwarves.
SeluneOne of the twin goddesses of the humans. Usually worshiped by humans who tend to be good more than evil.
SharOne of the twin goddesses of the humans. Usually worshiped by humans who tend to be evil more than good.
TitaniaThe goddess of Fey races other than elves.
YondallaThe goddess of the halflings.

Other Game Details
Allowed Resources: Player's Handbook
Races: Player's Handbook Races (Other resources are per DM discretion, please ask.)
Classes: Player's Handbook Classes (Other resources are per DM discretion, please ask.)
Spells: Player's Handbook, Swordcoast, Volo, Mordenkainen, Xanathar
Alignment: Either Mostly Good (Good) or Mostly Evil (Evil) - There is a de-emphasis on alignment in this world.
Deities: Based on Race - See Table Above

Max Players: 5 (This does not mean I will choose 5 definitely.)
Starting Level: 3
Posting Frequency: 2-3 Times a Week
Adventure Duration: Open to a full campaign after conclusion of adventure.

Please do not make a character sheet until you are picked. I would feel awful if you invested a lot of time in a character sheet and did not end up being invited.

Application Requirements
Name:
Race:
Class:
Alignment: *See alignment differences above.
Deity: *See pantheon differences above.

Appearance:

Hometown: *Feel free to be as creative as possible, making up towns, government officials, historical events, etc. You can tell me where you would like it to be on the map and I will edit it in for this adventure and all adventures to come in Fryst.

Background:
Personality Traits (2):
Ideal (1):
Bond (1):
Flaw (1):

How you were recruited for Taskforce Ragnarok:

Character background: *Keep in mind that you have been a member of this task force for 3 levels and all the other players invited to the game have been a member as long as you. Try not to create events the task force was involved in to avoid conflicts in backstories with other characters. If the party so desires, after it has been picked, we can come up with a history of the group for RP purposes.

Q&A
QuestionAnswer

Applications
Applications
PlayerCharacterRaceClassStatus
DragerUkaniHuman (Variant)Rogue (Assassin)Complete
hafrogmanHassan son of VerdukHuman (Variant)Barbarian/WarlockComplete
RetryTitch "TS" SedlakRock GnomeWizard (Conjuration)Complete
DanshiiWithWulfsSoley VittblumHalf-ElfBard/WarlockComplete
OsirisRisingSheandra NuielWood ElfRanger/SorcererComplete
ColorsOfTheHeartProblem ChildTieflingBardComplete
OdysseyTalus AlizarinHigh ElfEldritch KnightComplete
MontageManiacSoren VoidswordHuman (Variant)Monk/ClericComplete
TwoOldBraxton SnowboundHuman (Variant)Cleric (Tempest)Complete
Silent RainChester DunbaerlHumanGunslingerComplete
ErebusLegionBalthazar StormbreatherDragonbornRogueWIP
tomplumEirik HegstadHuman (Variant)DruidComplete
AriaMr. MaskElfSorcerorComplete

Last edited by Evandis; 08-09-2019 at 06:19 PM.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:16 PM
Epic Level Enchatment

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3347
Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey
Application: Complete

The Crimson Knight
right-aligned image

Name: Talus Alizarin
Race: High Elf
Class: Eldritch Knight
Alignment: Generally Good
Deity: Corellon

Appearance: While Talus is slight in frame, for most who first meet him he wears an imposing and intense aura. He is driven and calm, his pale-grey eyes seizing whoever his gaze rests upon. Silky dark hair is uncharacteristically short for an Elf-- though completely expected from an Alizarin. Often aloof, it is unsurprising due to High Elf nature of an isolationist mentality. Talus wears a full set of impressive armor that is clearly the work of a journeymen, and if asked where he got such fineries, he only gives a truthful answer to those who are worthy.

Hometown: The human’s have long called it The Crimson Chateau, but to the elves they have known it as Tel’Naru Rondasse. The Chateau is built atop ancient ruins in the mountainous regions outside of Mythredel, the capital city of the Elven Isles. Tel’Naru Rondasse, or rather the Alizarin House, is known for its political dealings and intrigue, though none will admit to how much of the court the family influences, but all acknowledge their lineage is old and longest reigning.
left-aligned image

The Chateau is a formidable fortress, though distinctly lacking some of the graceful craft evident in Elvish work. This does make the Alizarin family even more eccentric to the outside observer, particularly among elves. The Alizarin’s-- as their stronghold suggests, are of warrior’s blood. It has been that way since the founding of Tel’Naru Rondasse.

Below, a small community and trading post boasts wares and weapons worthy of kings. Their skill with blade craft is unparalleled, though their secrets highly guarded against outsiders and those they deem 'unworthy.' The village is mostly of elvish variety, though there are a few Dwarves who find the climate and craftsmanship appealing.

Background: Noble
Personality Trait: When I set my mind to something, I follow through no matter what gets in my way.
Personality Trait: I judge people by their actions, not their words.
Ideal: Respect. Respect is due to me because of my position, but all people regardless of station deserve to be treated with dignity.
Bond: I am guilty of a scandal, and I dishonored my family because of a choice I made.
Flaw: My pride will probably lead to my destruction

How you were recruited for Taskforce Ragnarok: Due to some self-imposed circumstances, one that he knowingly put himself into, Talus has the need to make a name for himself, and attempt to regain some lost ground within certain circles. At the very least, garner enough power to make a few changes that need to be made. Gain enough respect, people begin to talk. Things begin to move in a direction. Talus could list off his reasons alphabetically or chronologically, if he felt so inclined, but he's a busy man. It would take far too much time to explain to those not well-versed in High Elven society to understand.

Character background:
Talus Alizarin is the eldest of four brothers, all from a long line of Elvish warriors well versed in brutal combat and magical warfare. However, there hasn't been such animosity in recent times to implement such fierce tactics. The isolated Elven family hasn't been called upon in centuries. Even so, they carry on their deadly tradition, bonding to impressive and suitable weapons in jealously guarded rituals that have never left the halls of The Crimson Chateau.

Talus had every purpose of carrying on the mantle, his asperations unshakable...Until something changed.

I took the Oath of Sangus

Last edited by Odyssey; 08-09-2019 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:25 PM
Gazebo Destroyer

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyssey View Post
Questions! What are the allowed resources for your game? How many players are you looking for? Is any Alightment good? What kind of app creation information are you looking for?

Sorry, that's a of questions
No need to apologize, adding all that in right now, hopeful to be fully updated within the hour.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:02 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1029
SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax
Seems like an interesting premise. I'll wait for more details before weighing in.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:16 PM
Gazebo Destroyer

Tools
User Statistics
Alright, that should be enough information to make characters for this adventure. No need to worry too much about Fryst historical events. I will introduce the relevant ones throughout this adventure. Players are allowed a lot of creative freedom on the world building end of it. Any other questions I will answer as they come and update the original post as needed.
Old 08-02-2019, 12:15 AM
All Bark & Husky

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2805
DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs
Really liking the flavor in this one!

May I ask where the Mages Guild HQ is? Have some ideas in my head, but I thought I'd clear up that piece of geography before proceeding.

Also, is multiclassing allowed?

Last edited by DanshiiWithWulfs; 08-02-2019 at 12:47 AM.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:54 AM
Gazebo Destroyer

Tools
User Statistics
Mages Guild HQ is in Citadel but every major city has a branch basically. And yes multiclassing is fine. I will allow people to request to use other official D&D sourcebooks on a case by case basis. I have them all but for worldbuilding I like to stay close to Vanilla until I have a time and place for more "exotic" options.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:19 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 542
Drager Drager Drager Drager Drager Drager
Application Complete
right-aligned image

Name: Ukani
Race: Human (Variant)
Class: Rogue (Arcane Trickster)
Deity: Philosophical Anti-theist (He believes the gods exist and also believes they are universally morally bad, or morally questionable at best.)

Appearance:Tall, dark and imposing are the weird that best describe Ukani. Dressed in whatever is most appropriate for his mission and armed, usually, with light weapons Ukani tries to look as little like what he is as possible.

Hometown: Khem was a peaceful place in the past, according to the elders. A place full of joy and laughter, occupied by a simple people who followed Selune, even though she had ceased answering. Not being part of any larger nation or in service to a city-state, the town kept a strong band of hunters to protect against predators and hunt game, though they couldn't be called an army. Ukani never saw that Khem, his Khem was a drab place on the borders of Caspia, he grew up beneath the boot of an extremist Sharite regime. Everyone in any position of power, from the Governor (a drab, pot-bellied Priest of Shar) to the Captain of the Guard (a hard-bitten and cruel man) were outsiders, rulers who lorded it over the locals.

Abuse of women and children by city officials was common, and a culture of bribe-taking flourished. If a Selunite wished to leave town or marry their lover they would first have to bribe an official. Crimes were harshly punished, unless committed by a Sharite, and it was common for a pretext to be made to simply take anything that an official wanted, be that property or people. It was a harsh and unforgiving place and the people of Khem turned hard themselves. Worship of Shar increased amongst the population, but this only raised them above their peers, not to the level of in an invader. They were considered ethnically selunite and therefore, whilst they weren't treated as badly as other natives, were not afforded full rights. Talk of the old ways became something that spread only in hushed whispers. The loudest being of an old Selunite prophecy of a saviour that would come in their darkest hour, heralding the return of their sleeping god.

Khem is now in an even worse state than when Ukani grew up. The locals are kept in chains, beaten down slaves to their overseers as punishment for Ukani's crime. Most of the population is now used as labour in the nearby mines to extract iron ore, fuel for the expansionist dreams of Caspia. Worship of Selune is harshly punished and strict Sharite law is imposed on the inhabitants. Few are there left who remember the time before, almost all the people of Khem having been born under the regime, like Ukani, or worse, born after the reforms brought about by his actions.

Ukani is whispered of among the young folk, a tale of a man who was once their saviour, then their destroyer. He is both a faint hope of something better and a warning of what happens when one of the lesser people disobey. The town, no more than five hundred strong is ruled now like a prison camp by around fifty guards and their extremely zealous captain. Whereas the corrupt officials of Ukani's childhood could be bought or bribed, these men are handpicked Sharite loyalists and it seems, for now, that there is no way for Khem folk to escape their grasp.

Background: Folk Hero
Personality Traits (2): If someone is in trouble, I'm there to lend a hand. Thinking is for other people, I prefer action.
Ideal (1): No one should get preferential treatment before the law and no one is above the law.
Bond (1): A proud noble once gave Ukani a beating, he takes his revenge on every bully he encounters.
Flaw (1): The tyrant who rules my land will stop at nothing to see me killed.

Character background: Ukani's mother had been a hunter and trained him in the craft, whilst the Sharites kept control of the populace and 'taxed' all the kills brought home they did, at least, allow the community to carry on some of its traditions. As he grew, with a wide-eyed idealism Ukani drank in the stories of his grandfather at his mother's knee. She told him of how his father Hager and grandfather Moise had been great hunters and pious worshippers of Selune. She told him how, when the Sharites came, the hunters rose up and fought. He heard of how only thirty hunters held off five hundred Sharites for three days and three nights, bled them as they moved through the mountain passes and when they were eventually brought to bay, carved into the armoured lines a bloody rift, dying with honour to protect their families.

A prophecy whispered of throughout the town told of a saviour, who would come from a line of hunters. It told of a great warrior, mighty with the power of Selune reborn who would rise up and lay low the oppressors if only the people would wait. Ukani heard, but unlike the others, when the tale was told he felt his blood stir, not with hope, but with a call to action. He was quick, smart and the deadliest hunter in the village. His ancestors were virtual demigods in his eyes, how could he be anything but the saviour in the prophecy. Ukani bided his time, honing his skills and learning the behaviours of every official.

When a visiting Sharite nobleman came to town Ukani was too slow to kneel and couldn't bring himself to kiss the woman's boot. All the hopes of his rebellion burned in his chest as she ordered her guards to beat him. Ukani simply covered his head and let them, they beat his body to a pulp, but only stoked the embers of his determination into a roaring fire. His recovery was slow, but all of the townsfolk were astounded by what he had endured in perfect silence at the age of thirteen, they nursed him back to health and the whispers of the saviour grew stronger.

One night, years later, he saw his best friend, Neith dragged into the Governor's house. At only fifteen Ukani nevertheless knew what that meant and his blood ran cold. No longer content to plan he slipped like a shadow into the dark and up the side of a house not far from the Governor's stone manor. In moments he was across the rooves and dangling from the edge of a windowsill, pulling himself up. He might be a great hunter, but he had trained so hard to hunt one prey; men. With a whisper he slid inside and padded along the halls, hearing the screams of dear Neith, then silence. Steeling himself he pushed open the door to the Governor's bedroom and saw something worse than he had ever expected, Neith lay naked on the bed, splayed and with her throat cut in a red smile, the Governor over her, grinning and holding the knife. In two steps Ukani was upon the man and the favour was returned. Even as the Governor gurgled his last breath his killer had left the room through the bedroom window, stalking the night and each of the corrupt officials who let this happen. By the morning all of them were dead and the few remaining guards who had escaped fled from Ukani's wrath, leaving Khem seemingly for good.

Ukani's mother and his friends forced him to leave, not even letting him stay for Neith's funeral, as they knew the Sharites would send men looking for him. So, feted with a hero's send-off Ukani left his hometown, never to return only a day after he cleansed it. It wasn't until years later that he learned Khem now had a new wall, with a sturdy gate and, set atop each gatepost were the skulls of Ukani's mother and Neith. Learning of the fate of his hometown broke something in Ukani, he realised that he was no Saviour and that, if Selune was really a patron of his people, she was a weak and ineffectual one.

Over the next decade he travelled, avoiding the Caspian empire and working as a blade for hire, taking out the corrupt and the cruel at the behest of whoever needed it. He chose his targets more carefully and planned to avoid repercussions. Most of his targets turned out to be Priests, or sometimes mages. Those with power to abuse and Ukani developed a way of fighting that took advantage of their weaknesses.

As he worked he came to realise that everyone of every race thought their gods were looking out for them, and that it simply wasn't true. He also realised that gods, even good ones, as far as that went, were basically immoral. He had done more good for many people than any of their gods, but he knew that if someone were to worship him he would flatly turn it down. Any being worthy of worship would do so (not that he considered himself such a being!) and any being that demanded, or even accepted worship, well, they were detestable. Selune had never helped him, she had never helped his ancestors, even those who thought themselves blessed with divine power. It was people, caring, compassionate people, that had helped, so that is what he would put his trust in.

How you were recruited for Taskforce Ragnarok: It was on a job that Ukani first came to the attention of the Mages Guild, most precisely it was when one of their task forces burst into a room to find the man they had come to arrest dead at Ukani's feet, the assassin smiling at a job well done. When they had demanded to know who he was and moved to arrest him, he had simply looked up and smiled, telling them he was here to clean up the mess that rogue mage's left behind. He let them take him in without a fight and the rest, as they say, is history.

Last edited by Drager; 08-05-2019 at 02:34 AM.
Old 08-02-2019, 11:23 AM
Gazebo Destroyer

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drager View Post
Application WIP
right-aligned image

Name: Ukani
Race: Human (Variant)
Class: Rogue (Assassin)
Deity: Philosophical Anti-theist (He believes the gods exist and also believes they are universally morally bad, or morally questionable at best.)

Appearance:

Hometown: Oppressed by an outside force, currently in a worse state than when he left.

Background: Folk Hero
Personality Traits (2): If someone is in trouble, I'm there to lend a hand. Thinking is for other people, I prefer action.
Ideal (1): No one should get preferential treatment before the law and no one is above the law.
Bond (1): A proud noble once gave Ukani a beating, he takes his revenge on every bully he encounters.
Flaw (1): The tyrant who rules my land will stop at nothing to see me killed.

How you were recruited for Taskforce Ragnarok: Noticed had a talent for murder.

Character background: Born in an oppressed village, with corrupt overseers. Assassinated them.

Which civilisations/races would be the best fit for oppressive overlords? They don't need to be bad guys in general, just an occupying force (e.g. Rome in Gaul, British Empire in India, France/Britain in Africa, that sort of thing).
Humans in this world are split into 2 groups, followers of Selune and followers of Shar. Shar followers are more likely to be oppressive. Otherwise Orcs and some Half-Orc tribes.
Old 08-02-2019, 11:44 AM
Typical undead bear

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7231
Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry
Going to place interest in this. Thinking of trying my hand at a wizard.
Would spells be limited to PHB as well?
Old 08-02-2019, 11:51 AM
Gazebo Destroyer

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retry View Post
Going to place interest in this. Thinking of trying my hand at a wizard.
Would spells be limited to PHB as well?
No I won't limit spells.
Old 08-02-2019, 01:18 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4066
hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman
Application

Name: Hassan son of Verduk (Hassan the Accursed)
Race: Human (probably?Variant)
Class: Barbarian 1 / Warlock 2 (Fiend Patron, going into Pact of the Blade)
Alignment: Mostly Good / Unaligned (if that's an option)
Deity: None / The Lord of Fire

Appearance: Hassan is a powerfully built man in his late twenties. He cuts an imposing figure, tall and broad-shouldered, battle scarred and weather-worn. He has brown, shaggy hair and a full beard, neither of which shows signs of having been groomed recently. Still, he projects a raw confidence and energy that draws people to him. His clothing is a mismatched blend of hide, leather and metals that appears to have been scavenged from random sources instead of purchased as an intentional outfit.

Hometown: The Burning Village - Northwest of Gruul, isolated by miles of trackless tundra waste, it is a remote and harsh location even by the standards of other barbarian tribes. It is a tiny settlement (no more than 30 families), and has little-to-no contact or trade with outsiders. It's only claim to fame is a natural up-welling of crude petroleum that allows the village to cling to life despite the sparse availability of wood in the area. Legend has it that this 'fire water' is a largess from some form of local spirit.

Background: Non PHB, so with DM approval. Otherwise: OutlanderHaunted One
  • Personality Trait: I don't talk about the things that torment me. I'd rather not burden others with my curse.
  • Personality Trait: I live in the moment, knowing my life could be turned upside down any day.
  • Ideal: Generosity. I give everything I can to help those in need, regardless of who they are.
  • Bond: There's evil in me, I can feel it. It must never be set free.
  • Flaw: I throw myself and my friends into situations rarely ever thinking about consequences.

How you were recruited for Taskforce Ragnarok: The fiendish power within often tempts Hassan to darkness, so he struggles against these impulses by using his powers to aid suffering and strive against tyranny. It amuses the Lord of Fire to watch him try, knowing that will make his ultimate failure all the sweeter. Still, in the course of his travels he attracted enough attention to draw the eye of the Mages' Guild. They quickly discerned the source of his powers, but seemed to be willing to accept him despite their origin. In the guild's service he has found a home and purpose denied to him for many years, showing an almost reckless willingness to fling himself into the path of danger. This quickly earned him a place on the Taskforce, perhaps because of his results, perhaps because only they were brave enough to fight alongside him.

Character background:
Quote:
The sky fell from the heavens and our people fled. At our heels chased the endless winter.
Every land was closed to us, none would offer us shelter. One land remained, too cold and barren for any tribe to claim.
We could not survive its cruelty without the blessing of a powerful spirit.

The first chief went to Wolf. `We fear pain. Protect us from your fury and we will revere you.`
But Wolf sent him away. `You have neither teeth nor claw. You are weak, and not welcome in this land.`

The first chief went to Stag. `We fear hunger. Share with us your bounty and we will revere you.`
But Stag sent him away. `You have neither hoof nor horn. You are weak, and not welcome in this land.`

The first chief went to Night. `We fear the dark. Grant us the moon's blessing and we will revere you.`
But Night remained silent. `...`

The people huddled alone in the darkness, cold and hungry.
The Lord of Fire came then unto the first Chief. `I offer warmth and power. Revere me and I will save your people.`
The first chief knew Fire to be a destructive and fickle spirit, but to save his people... The bargain was struck.

Fire gives us light to drive away Night.
Fire gives us strengh to guard against Wolf.
Fire gives us warmth to cook the meat of Stag.
And we give back to Fire.

When I was a child, this was just another story told by the elders. The elders had many stories, most impossibly old and told over and over again around the tribe's cooking fire during the darkest and coldest nights. Children have to grow up quickly in these barren lands. The world grants us no mercy, and we quickly learn survive by what we can take. I was still young by the reckoning of the soft lands when I came of age to join the hunt. But for me, that was not to be. As I learned, some legends are much more real than others.

Once a generation, a single child is chosen to serve the Lord of Fire, to be sacrificed into his service. For the first chief was a cunning man. He accepted the bargain, and gave his son to the Lord of Fire to save his people. But the next day, the chief drove the boy from the village, starting a tradition that carries on to this day. There must always be a sacrifice, but the chosen one is then cast out, so that the chaos and destruction they bear within them will be unleashed upon far off lands.

The day of my naming ceremony, I knelt inside a ring scratched in the dirt and snow. The elders stood around me and summoned the Lord of Fire. I was brought face-to-face with his hellish visage.

Last edited by hafrogman; 08-03-2019 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08-02-2019, 02:31 PM
Typical undead bear

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7231
Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry
Application
right-aligned image
Name:Titch "TS" Sedlak
Race:Rock Gnome
Class:Wizard - School Of Conjuration
Alignment:Generally Good
Deity:Yondalla

Appearance: Two dark forest green eyes rest lazily amongst a mahogany toned face coated in dark stuble from choosing not to shave for the past few days. A sheepish grin always adorning his face helps give him the look of a guy who just woke up from a damn good nap. His shortly kept black hair has started thinning recently and he does what he can to cover it up but knows its only a matter of time until its completely gone. Best enjoy it while you got it. He wears a thin dark blue open robe with small patches of yellow sewn on the shoulders with the symbol of conjuration on it. The robe looks fairly rough and dirty after going with him on all of his jobs. Beneath the robe is comfortable looking yet equally as grimy/dirty as his robe. They were his work attire so he wore them everywhere, cleaning will come eventually.

Hometown:Edgeport, the hustle and bustle of a mercantile port town was always a little too much for me. It did help me get to know the other races but it was just darn too busy for my taste.

Background: Guild Artisan (Tinkerer)
  • Personality Trait: I like to talk at length about my profession.
  • Personality Trait: I Believe that anything worth doing is worth doing right. I can't help it -- I'm a perfectionist.
  • Ideal: Generosity. My talents were given to me so that I could use them to benefit the world. (Good)
  • Bond: I owe my guild a great debt for forging me into the person I am today.
  • Flaw: I'm quick to assume that someone is trying to cheat me.

How were you recruited: When you do a good enough job repairing stuff your name kinda becomes more commonly heard. Having the "right tool" for almost any occasion really makes you valuable to some folks. To ensure a high flexibility of utility in the group they chose to seek out the best trouble-shooter this side of the Northlands - ME!

Character Background: Life became...better when I finally said fairwell to my home and left for Wyr Kaldun. A little rough first getting settled in, being an outsider and all - will kind of do that to you. Just needed to prove my worth though and after a bit of time and some greased palms (literally) I started having the jobs flooding in. I suppose thats to be expected when you make your living as a trouble-shooter, fixing the problems that need to be fixed fast and easy -- and cheap! Why build a brand new forge when we can easily patch up the one you're using? Tools are broken - no troubles! We'll get those squared away faster than you can change that food into stool, ha!

I took to this school hoping to make my life easier not having to do everything by myself so I could just be lazy all day. Wouldn't you beleive it though? The complete opposite occurred, as soon as I learned to manifest tools out of thin air I got to working with them and realizing I was my very own toolbox! Course, things would get a bit touchy when I needed more than one, but it was often enough to get the job done easy enough. Plus, you could find no better people to appreciated hard work than dwarves, or so I was lead to believe

Please let me know if anything needs to be adjusted.
Old 08-02-2019, 04:54 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 542
Drager Drager Drager Drager Drager Drager
Not finished yet, as you can probably tell by the placeholder names, but I have a new question: Am I going too dark for the setting? Should I lighten it up a bit?

Last edited by Drager; 08-02-2019 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:52 PM
Gazebo Destroyer

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drager View Post
Not finished yet, as you can probably tell by the placeholder names, but I have a new question: Am I going too dark for the setting? Should I lighten it up a bit?
No, I wouldn't say you are going to talk. It's about to the level I like to play at with insinuation at what happened to his friend. The only thing I want to add as your story makes this lore related now, is that Selune is believed to be a dead goddess, killed by Shar in a heavenly battle in a time before time. Selune and Shar are actually twins and it is believed they controlled and/or lived on the twin moons of Fryst. The moon that crashed to the earth was the moon associated with Selune, which is where the idea that Selune is dead originates from.