Game Thread Round 3 - D&D DanshiiWithWulfs, MontageManiac, zinrokh - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Open Roleplaying > Outplay Arena > Outplay 2019 > Outplay 2019 archive
twitter facebook
0 7 4 0
... raised for charity!
: +

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 08-03-2019, 03:05 PM
Wynamoinen's Avatar
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen is online now
Eternal Bard
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 12-14-2019
RPXP: 17722
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
Posts: 5,851
Round 3 - D&D DanshiiWithWulfs, MontageManiac, zinrokh

So close and yet so farBloody and bruised, the adventurers are pressed forward. You guessed it - no rests and no resource recovery between Rounds 2 and 3.The breakneck pace is barely worth noting anymore. It's hard not to detest the judges for straining the group and manipulating them into these painful 'proofs' of strength. But you remember, sometimes at least, that there are others pressing in from the four corners of the world. You are all striving to meet at the center, where the Labyrinth and its Door to incredible power awaits. So, you press on, barely bothering to remark when the judges split your group yet again.

But within hours of that split, you crest a hill. Before you lies a bowl-shaped valley, and in the center is a gigantic heap of rubble made of deep grey stone and splintered timbers. The Druid says simply "There it is. The ruins of the Labyrinth." In two other places upon the lip of this great bowl, you see small groups of people emerge, specks on the horizon. They pause to take in the scene, as you do now.

Then, hovering before you, again appears the spectral image of the Arch-Mage Rostamoinen, in his purple robes, narrow curled mustache, pointed beard and arched eyebrows. "Oh, look at me! I can bend the laws of nature with my big brain," the Druid mumbled under his breath. The Druid walks away as the image speaks. "Welcome, worthies, to the Labyrinth! I am sorry I could not greet you in person, but I am not far. I am deep beneath the ruins that lie before you. The Labyrinth held not just treasures and traps, but access and passage to greater power. Deep down, below where the greedy and vain tread last year, The Chamber of the Nine. In that Chamber is the Door to our Citadel, which lies not on this plane of existence. You must reach that Door, if you wish to join us.

"You have proven yourself worthy of the battle, and you have shown your willingness to sacrifice and choose for the greater good. Now we ask you to overcome a third set of challenges. We wish to see your true resourcefulness, and your raw will to persevere. This is your third test. Delve into the Labyrinth, and find me. Do what it takes to overcome every obstacle before you, and do it faster and better than any of the other aspirants that have met here today."
Looking at the other groups, you can see a sparkling transparent figure hovering before them, as well.

"Your first task: enter the Labyrinth! Good luck! We can't let this be too easy, you know..." The image vanishes. The aspirants to the Nine look down to the crumbled walls to find the nearest entrance. Standing in a narrow plaza in front of the entrance is the first obstacle - the judges.

Cuchulainen walks to the mouth of the plaza. He cracks his neck and rolls his shoulders, working out the kinks of decades. He sets aside his cane and stretches his legs. He squats and does a backflip without missing a beat. He pulls out his blade and twirls it, blindingly fast. He pauses, speaks a few words to his blade, and it hums with arcane force. Testing it out, he taps the sword against a nearby column. It explodes with the force. He nods and speaks the words again, re-charging the blade.

Kalas rises up off the ground, hovering overhead. His eyes cloud and darken into an opaque grey swirl. As if in sympathy, the clouds overhead churn and spin and roil. Crackles of lighting run along the clouds, and then through the sorcerer's fingers, and then between hands and cloud. The lightning begins to discharge to the ground as the energy becomes too great for cloud or mage to bear.

Lastly, the Druid walks to the center of the mound and taps his staff again on the ground. Semi-transparent fey spirits fly circles around him, whipping the air up into a near whirlwind. Then, they take form, and the wound of wind is overtaken by the howling chorus of apes. A pack of the beasts pound their chests, climbing debris from the ruins, and placing themselves around the entrance, ready to grabble and hold-up any who would try and pass through. "They don't bite, but they like to hug!"

In the distance, the other groups of adventurers begin dashing down the sides of the great earthen bowl, rushing towards the ruins. A few flashes can be seen, and booms echo across the field. The Druid smirks and shouts, "Better hurry!"

MechanicsRound 3 is an obstacle course! You will encounter a series of challenges, each taking a post or two to overcome, if all goes well. This will be a series of challenges, puzzles, and obstacles that you can overcome with clever combinations of skill rolls, class abilities, and player creativity. This is NOT a combat round (though clever uses of combat abilities may help you to overcome obstacles).

Your first obstacle is simply to get past the judges! They are going to resist your progress through attacks, spells, grapples, and whatever else they can do. You just need to keep away from them, and enter the door to the Labyrinth. Whatever skills and abilities you use, declare them clearly, describe (in the narrative) how and why they are used, and justify why they would be effective (if it's not immediately obvious).

You may make only 1 post per day, and there will likely be 6 posts this week. Your GM is Bhelogan. Assume he will post mid-morning US time, and if that changes, he will inform you. There will be exactly one GM post per day, excepting Sunday. This is the GM post for Monday. The thread will close Sunday, August 11th at 10pm EST.

Your initial hit points are exactly what they were at the end of Round 2. Any resources spent in Rounds 1&2 REMAIN spent - no effects from items, spells, or abilities carry over, aside from healing. No item or ability re-charges occurred.

Action economy will go a little different this round. We WILL be tracking how many actions you take (using a potion or wand takes a round, a ritual takes many minutes, etc), but you are free to take multiple actions in a single post. This round is a race through an obstacle course! The more actions you take, the longer you take to accomplish your goals. The longer you take, the more you'll fall behind in the race, and the fewer points you'll receive. All else equal, the fewer actions and the more successfully you overcome the obstacle, the more points you'll get. Lots of actions and only marginal success will earn you fewer points. This means there are no "pre-rounds" this week of competition. If you want to heal or use items, you are free to do so. But those things take time, and will cause you delay in the race. Choose wisely.

PvP is NOT allowed in this round. Actions taken to directly oppose the actions of other players will be deemed unsportsmanlike by judges. The judges are NOT considered 'players' in this first obstacle, so... have fun with that

All posts need to include the following under {spoilerbuttons}:
  • A clear statement of your movement. We will NOT be using battle maps this round, so clear statements like "Dashing" or "25 feet away from X", or "15 feet down Y" are sufficient, or "through the passage".
  • An explicit statement of all mechanical actions you take in the post, and how much time they take ("full action", "1 minute" etc). More use of actions and abilities will generally take more time, but of course, using abilities is how you're going to survive and succeed.
  • Clear tracking of resources expended, cumulative throughout the competition (this is often done via a stat block). Be sure this is includes all resources spent (and HP lost & recovered!) from Rounds 1 and 2 of competition.

All rolls should be made using inum tags and placed within the spoilerbutton next to the appropriate action. Here is an example thread from 2017. If you are taking an action that uses your skills and has uncertain results, please state the skill that applies and make the roll without waiting for GM approval. The GM will adjudicate results and applicability of the skill in their next post.

Edits may be made to a post up to ONE HOUR from the original post. If any rolls are made after this time or if any rolls are shown as modified as a result of an edit, the entire day's posts will be deleted by the DM. This will not work against you, but you will be punished by having to surrender that day's actions.

All point totals (including judge discretionary evaluations) are TRIPLED, relative to Round 1. Each obstacle has the same number of maximum treasure points available. Those solutions that are the fastest, most creative, most elegant, and most successful will be granted the most points. We will generally not give you skill DCs when we describe the obstacle before you. Knowledge, perception, insight, or social skills may help to get a sense of difficulty of various approaches to overcoming an obstacle, but those will take time, both in game world (delaying your character's progress in the race) and IRL (since GMs update only once per day).
__________________
GM of Uncaged: Our Fair Maidens, a folklore-inspired D&D 5e one-shot adventure module.

Last edited by Wynamoinen; 08-05-2019 at 08:35 AM.
  #2  
Old 08-05-2019, 07:32 PM
Zinrokh's Avatar
Zinrokh Zinrokh is offline
Goblin Jester
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 12-14-2019
RPXP: 3243
Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh
Posts: 1,201
Ikol
left-aligned image
Ikol

Once more the judges force-marched the contestants... which seemed somewhat unfair to Ikol, he being of diminutive stature compared to the others. He whilded away his time counting the number of steps required to match the pace with his new companions.

Firstly there was Mr.Black-nail-polish or Ms.Black-nail-polish, it was always difficult to tell with elves and Ikol knew better than to assume someone's gender identity in 2019, so he settled on the pronoun "it". It channeled so much 'emo' it made Ikol want to dye his hair, hate his parents for not understanding him and slam his bedroom door. Fortunately for Ikol he had was bald, orphaned and homeless so he just hummed merrily to himself. Breaking the monotony of the silence he shared his findings with the warlock without any attempt to explain his thought process. "For every ten steps, I need, like thirty-four... and this much..." Ikol balanced with his foreleg raised some three inches from the ground. Then he gave the elf a wide and hideously authentic grin of stained teeth "You're taller you see".

Ikol than attempted the same calculations with the dwarf. Unfortunately the waddling gait of that particular species had his snorting with laughter before he could count beyond the third step. Ikol had named this particular opponent Mr.Beardy-prayers... since he was bearded and a priest. Ikol put no stock in religion and being of the ripe old age of 11 had an abject fear of those that had taken vows of celibacy... "So... gods and stuff, hey?" he quipped with a shrug and an awkward look, "I hear voices in my head too" he added before falling back into step with Kayne.

'Bunch of weirdos', Ikol consoled himself, before agreeing with the statement that had come from the bronze-likeness of his own face upon his sceptre. "Indeed Ikol, Indeed"

------------------

Then it was show time. Ikol watched as the judges arrayed themselves before them like some Japanese game show from the 80s or one of those Spartan races where you get muddy, sweaty and sore in exchange bragging rights in the local gym.

"So we just got to duck and weave past Wrinkly-punches... then slip past Stormy Daniels... finally face Hug-a-tree and his monkeys..." Ikol paused for a moment "What do you mean 'monkeys not apes'" he looked perplexed at his inanimate staff. Then with a sudden arrogant tut Ikol corrected his sceptre's claims "'Ape' is just the french word for 'monkey' actually."

Then it began.

Ikol squared up to Cuchulainen. He Use:Potion of Giant's strengthdowned another bottle of 'Mad Gob 20/20™', Cast: Enhance ability;Cat's Gracetook on an exaggerated tiger-style kung-fu pose, throwing a poorly lip-synced challenge to the first judge. He threw his head from side-to-side to elicit some boney clicks and cracked his knuckles. "I'm sorry... I can't go easy on you old man." he apologised as he began to run at the elderly-yet-supple first challenge.

With a traditional goblin war-cry he raised his staff high to strike down the mage...monk...anime trope... that had been his guide thus far:

"Breeeee-yak-ka-ka-ka-ka-ka"

He skidded to a halt suddenly
Dice Deception check:
D20+6 (8)+6 Total = 14
(14), a wide grin splitting his face... he gave Cuchulainen a wink. Not a clean wink, one of those winks a child gives where they are not quite able to keep the secondary eye fully open. Then without further preamble Ikol slammed the shaft of his sceptre into the floor and with a puff of powdery magenta smoke the goblin vanished...


------------------


Instantly a second identical cloud burst into existence... beyond Cuchulainen... beyond Kalas... and about 10 yards behind the swarm of primates and 20 feet in the air above that point... The goblin reappeared.

He dropped to the floor with agile feline grace.
Dice Acrobatic's check (enchanced ability):
2D20+10kh1 (9, 1 (keeping 9) )+10 Total = 19
(19) "Superhero landing" he called before spinning back to face the challenges from the far end. "Ta-dah!"

He waved to the other competitors, shouting obnoxiously loud to be heard over the poor weather conditions which lay between them:

"Hey! Hey! just dimension door over, its easy!... I couldn't bring you with me!... caster's size or smaller!... I'm small as I mentioned earlier... It's a constant issue with vertically superior team mates".

With that Ikol squatted down, withdrawing a horribly mangled sandwich. He blew on it to dislodge a large accumulation of hair and dust it had collected from the depths of his pack. He bit into it as he eyed the others with curiosity. "Go, go team" he managed through his overstuffed mouth.


OOC
 

Last edited by Zinrokh; 08-05-2019 at 07:56 PM.
  #3  
Old 08-06-2019, 12:46 AM
DanshiiWithWulfs's Avatar
DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs is offline
All Bark & Husky
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 12-14-2019
RPXP: 4030
DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs
Posts: 1,039
Vordur Blackburn
right-aligned image
The vortex sucked Vordur out of the room with such force that he doubted if all that he had just experienced was a dream, or part of some sort of test from the Nine. He looked around, and saw that his Spiritual Guardians were no longer around, nor did they brigthen the room with their splendid radiance; in that moment, the cleric felt suddenly hollow. Like something precious he was holding in his hands was suddenly taken from him. Yet there were fragments of memories - or were they visions? - that flashed at the back of his mind as he recalled the joy and fullness he felt even as he caused his enemies to turn to ash in the glory of Gorm. Gorm... Was that really Him on that throne of splendor? Did he really talk to him as if he was known, as if he was... a beloved servant?

I do, Lord... I keep the vigil.

Vordur wiped his brow and beard with the back of a gauntleted hand, and wiped the wetness from it on the front of his tabard. As they crest the edge of a bowl-shaped valley below, the dwarven priest pauses to catch his breath. The Nine are ruthless, and they keep a ruthless pace, yet their power is undeniable. Was this Gorm's plan for me all along? For my failure in Earthfast to serve as the way to be tested and become part of these Protectors? By the Bronze Mask...

The Druid breaks Vordur's contemplation. The cleric looks around him to find that the elf Psyliana no longer here; she looked rough and bloodied the last time he saw her, but figured she was still kicking around. The noble prince wasn't here as well; Vordur wondered what hellish ordeals assailed him in that Unexpected Room, but having gone through it must have meant the prince proved successful. Instead, the dwarf finds himself grouped with more strangers; a tall, slender elfblood with black hair who looked neither a warrior nor mage. The lad did appear to be proficient with the weapon he wielded, so Vordur suspected there to be some other magic in play with him; who knew, with elves? The other candidate seemed as insane as he was powerful; the goblin kept mumbling to himself and blurted out to the dwarf that he was hearing voices in his head.

"I nae doubt that, goblin. Yer name's Ikol?" Vordur calmly observed the creature speak to its staff using the same name before adding, "Both of ye're Ikol then; thass nice..."

When the specter of the archmage appears once more to the group and lays out the mechanics of the challenge, Vordur listens in silence. He cast a sidelong glance at the Druid of the Coast, who seemed to not be on the best of terms with the other; he walks away, and the cleric keeps his mouth shut. One could only imagine what conflicts among these powerful beings would be like. But now their new task was made clear: enter the Labyrinth and find the one who calls himself Rastamoinen. With the judges arrayed outside the entrance, however, that would prove no easy task. None of the trials set by the Nine were easy anyway, so Vordur expected this one to be even more taxing. Yet he knew that Gorm walked with him; there was no reason to fear or despair, no matter how powerful the ones who barred his way.

When Ikol cast his teleportation spell, Vordur knew it was time to go. He nodded to the black-haired half-elf after drinking a potion of healing.

"Good luck to ye."

Stepping off the ledge, the cleric jumped and flew straight onwards to the plaza, scanning the field for the judges and their minions. The dark clouds ahead informed Vordur that the one named Kalas would be the one with an obvious capability to fly, and therefore impede his progress. The dwarf knew if he engaged him - or any judge for that matter - he would prove himself no match, so he simply resolved to distract him with warding flares of the Eternally Vigilant until he reached the entrance.

Vordur then proceeded with his unspectacular flight, going as fast as he could but no quicker than an average dwarf. He would make a laughable sight, and indeed the cleric himself felt as if he was a fool and ill-equipped to meet thi rigors of this challenge; but one must make do with what one had. Below he saw the goblin who had simply rent a hole in time and space at his leisure, and was shouting at no one in particular that they should do the same. If the Judges wanted to bar their way, they should focus on those like Ikol who possessed more power than he; why would they want to bother with a simple servant of Gorm?

OOC
 

Stat Block
 
__________________
RL monster is evolving! Gonna be erratic for the rest of the year :'(

Last edited by DanshiiWithWulfs; 08-06-2019 at 01:02 AM.
  #4  
Old 08-06-2019, 06:10 AM
MontageManiac's Avatar
MontageManiac MontageManiac is offline
Simple Storysmith
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 12-14-2019
RPXP: 9035
MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac
Posts: 7,568
Kayne Cyire | Male Half-Elf: Hexblade (3) / Paladin (5) | Level 8


HP: 47/65 (Temp: 0)| AC: 18 (20 with shield and Longsword) (+5 w/ shield spell) | Speed: 30' | Hit Dice: 3/3d8 -5/5d10 | Lay on Hands: 25/25 | Pearl of Power: Used | Wand of Pact Keeper Spell Slot Feature: Not used | Status: Here we go...


 

Home Stretch




As Kayne was being pulled from the Unexpected Room, he was shaking the last of the charm from his mind, and looked around at the others who were pulled out as well. Before he could muster any form of congratulations or appreciation, they seemed to be whisked away again through it all.

On previous journeys in this nature, he at least had the now familiar company of Berthe along with him, but first Vash and Bryn fell off from his awareness, then Berthe was pulled along a different path than he, and soon it was only Kayne following the mad bard.

Well, that’s not entirely true. Eventually there was a little goblin that came along, and Kayne had to perform a double take to confirm if he was hallucinating or not, for the creature seemed uncannily familiar to the denizens of the room he had been dragged from. However, at no further sign of hostility… and an incredible effort of willpower on Kayne’s part to tune out whatever nonsense the creature was spouting, the journey continued on with a dwarf accompanying them as well, dark in contenance and bearing, even for Kayne.

Eventually they arrived at their destination, ascending the hill to find the bowl-like valley below, and the entrance to the fabled labyrinth below. With the appearance of the mage once more, detailing their next hurdle, Kayne was almost surprised at the revelation that the judges would be their opponents for this round. Almost.

Reaching into his belt pouch as Cuchulainen was limbering up, Kayne grabbed his wand with his free hand, while he held the pearl between his fingers, just as in the room with the Ogres. He watched as the goblin, Ikol did he babble?, was downing an elixir similar to Berthe earlier… god help them all. The spiritual dwarf offered him luck, and Kayne nodded likewise to the man. He began his ascent on winged shoes, and Kayne, not for the first time, wondered if he’d made the right choice in equipment.

Glancing up at the bard, Kayne begins sprinting straight forward, the time for deliberation over. Rolling the pearl within his fingers, Kayne could see the Bard readying his terrible blade to bring down on him, and so the Paladin yelled out the command, "HOPE!!!" and felt the pearl flare in his fingers, a white mist quickly enveloping his hand, and then seemingly was absorbed by his closed fist.

Just as Cuchulainen was swinging the blade towards Kayne, the half-elf paladin seemed to dissipate into shadowy mist, his form speeding ahead upon fictitious wind-currents, and suddenly appears thirty feet ahead of the bard, continuing his sprint towards the labyrinth entrance.

As he approached the lightning fields of Kalas, Kayne was doing his best to anticipate
Dice Perception check for lightning strikes:
1d20+3 (20)+3 Total = 23
(23) and avoid the lightning strikes that began to pock the field. As soon as he could get within range of the sorcerer, he was preparing to do something he’d never imagined himself doing…


Heart of Darkness



After a long day’s journey, Kayne was sitting upon his bed roll and maintaining his equipment as he listened to his mentor, the black-scaled dragonborn Xorn, regale him with tales from his past.

"Right, so there I was, cutting my way through choking vines and the most Bahamut awful humidity you’re likely ever to find in the world, when this horrible sound comes through the jungle. Sounds of… heaving, screeches, and grunts. Nadia and I look at each other with horror on our faces, for what demon could possibly be lurching up to us at this point. I turn to my guide and ask him, what in Tiamat’s crock is that noise. You know what he said to me? I kid you not…"

A younger Kayne is smiling at this point, shaking his head to allow his mentor to continue with his story. Xorn didn’t often rip into these amusing anecdotes… he was more of a threatening and tough-love type of mentor. Kayne must have done something that pleased him today since he was this chatty…

"The guide turns to me, face as straight as an arrow, and he says, ‘You are hearing the heated calls of apes, informing more of their kind that they are ready, and willing, to be one with each other in the jungle’s heat tonight.’ Well after hearing that, Nadia and I look at each other, and understanding dawns on us. The understanding that we were likely going to get NO sleep that night, cause these ‘tame’ sounds we’re hearing now was only going to get worse!"



Monkey Business...




Kayne was busy with the wand he’d pulled from his belt, and began pointing towards Kalas as the man concentrated on his lightning storm. The only chance he had to make it through two such powerful magic users was to attempt and pit their talents against each other, as such… Kayne was about to unleash a few monkey’s on Kalas’ back.

With a wave of his free hand and the wand fully extended, an overwhelmingly loud series of sounds which involved apes screeching, grunting, and wailing carried over the frequent lightning bolts, travelling on the wind it seemed to the ears of the apes. Casting the minor illusion through his wand Spell save DC of 16 through Pact Wand for apes to see through illusion, using Intelligence (Investigation) as per Minor Illusionstrengthened the magic, and Kayne was hoping what he heard from the apes was enough to mimic what he was told the sound emulated
Dice Performance check for ape sounds if needed:
1d20+4 (15)+4 Total = 19
(19). While the Druid’s apes were in fact fey creatures, he knew that they took on their animal forms with a commitment to character that rivaled the best thespians.

It was the only shot he had given his limited resources, and Kayne wasted little time as he made the mad-dash for the labyrinth, doing his best to dodge the on-rush of apes as they clamored past him towards the sorcerer floating in the air. There were enough ruins in this plaza to allow the simians to swing up from the ground, leaping not just from ruins, but often from other apes to grab a hold of the sorcerer’s feet to pull the man down. The Druid did say they liked to hug… Kayne was not surprised to see that apparently spoke volumes to their degree of… willingness to find a mate.

Kalas had little chance with so many apes, all being driven mad with lust and hunger at the sounds seemingly coming from the sorcerer. Kayne dared not watch as he continued his dash towards the labyrinth, the path now clear of primates. Kayne tried to not listen to the sounds of Kalas’ struggle, only the lack of lightning strikes as the sorcerer’s concentration was finally lost.

As Kayne passed where the Druid stood, he motioned over his shoulder, "There’s some terrible monkey business going on back there… I think Kalas is being hugged a little too hard…"

Ducking into the labyrinth’s entrance, Kayne spotted the sly goblin and the floating dwarf as they arrived, and took a sigh of relief, having JUST made it, with only a few precious resources spent…


OOCAlright… let’s try and keep track of this madness...

I really hope I’m understanding how this round goes with the mechanics and everything… I’m not sure where the 370 feet length comes from according to @Danshii, but I figured I’d match to the same figure as they did.

Also, sorry to Kalas… he didn’t do anything to Kayne, it’s just how it had to work out.

 






__________________
PCs: Dramoth "Nova" / Rhokax Soulreader / Kayne Cyire / Torm / Donovan Whistler
GM: Scales of War 5e & Yeohven: Fall from Grace
Moving week of Oct 21st. Expect delays, sorry for inconvenience, NPC me if you must to keep games going! Will post when I can!

Last edited by MontageManiac; 08-06-2019 at 06:13 AM.
  #5  
Old 08-06-2019, 12:16 PM
Bhelogan's Avatar
Bhelogan Bhelogan is online now
Druid of the Coast
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 12-14-2019
RPXP: 20040
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Posts: 16,868
Outside the LabyrinthIt was a mad dash, gauntlet style to get through the judges. Ikol, Vordur and Kayne were all wise enough to know that trying to take on one of the judges in combat was going to be a suicide mission. Well, Ikol at least made an attempt at making it look like he missed that point.

With his staff raised Ikol charged Cuchulainen. “Ah, the goblin’s gone mad. I like it!” the hobbled man squealed, a bit of insanity in his own voice. “Come on now, give me yeh best shot, no holding back,” Cuchulainen coaxed Ikol on, spinning his blades and waiting patiently for the Goblin’s short legs to carry him the distance between the two. Then, Ikol stopped short of his attack, and instead disappeared in a puff of smoke. “Bah, buggers got more brains than balls I guess. Still, no secret where he is headed.” A sick think blade flew with magical speed from Cuchulainen’s gnarled hand towards the entrance to the labyrinth. It collided with Ikol midair, gashing across his legs and drawing blood. As Ikol fell, he was able to stumble his way into the entrance.

Vordur took to the air, using his winged boots again. “This one is mine,” Kalas smiled, as the master of storms made eye contact with Vordur. A massive vortex of wind formed in the sky, then shot down smashing Vordur squarely in the shoulders, and knocking him to the ground. Vordur landed in a cloud of dust, and to add insult to injury, he could hear Kalas snort a little with amusement. Kalas started to conjure another vortex, but was interrupted by a most unpleasant sound….

Kayne did his best to watch out for what he expected to be flying down from the sky, bolts of lighting. They didn’t come, but he had other things to worry about. He was just a step behind Ikol, and even further behind after taking a mystical step past Cuchulainen. He saw the blade fly overhead, glad it wasn’t meant for him. Kalas looked to be busy with Vordur, but that still left the army of apes in his way. Then, using what magic he had left, an illusionary sound set off things in motion that worked better than he could have possibly planned. The Druid’s Apes, did in fact, answer the call. The stormed towards Kalas with such furry, and vigor, that despite his best efforts, Kayne took a few monkey fists to the sides, and the Apes tried to push him out of their way.

How did the judges react to this monkey Madness? Kalas found himself buried in a pile of apes, which pulled him to the ground, and continued with unspeakable acts. "Call them off Druid, get these dirty beasts off me know, or I swear, I'll....!" Kalas could be heard screaming from somewhere under the pile of hair and muscle. Cuchulainen couldn’t stand the sight of it, and rushed to the pile, doing his best to pull the apes off, one at a time. Only pulling them away long enough for them to loop around and jump on the pile from the other side.

The Druid, well, he could have simply released the Apes back into the fey spirits they were conjured from. But, he was enjoying the scene too much. “Getting quite the Education there are you, young Kalas?” The Druid’s laughter and taunting were almost loud enough to overpower the roar of the mass of Apes. As Vordur and Kayne passed by The Druid, wondering if he would impede their progress anymore, the average looking man simply wiped away a tear from his eye, patted Kayne one the shoulder and said, “Oh go on and get inside there. You have far worse things to deal with than us and our mischief.”



OODM
Ikol -
Dice Roll:
3d6 3, 5, 4 Total = 12
(12) damage, DC 14 DEX Save for ½. Need concentration check on Cats Grace.
Vordur –
Dice Roll:
3d6 5, 4, 2 Total = 11
(11) bludgeoning damage from being slammed into the ground. DC 14 DEX Save for ½.
Kayne – takes
Dice Roll:
1d6 2
(2) bludgeoning damage from a stray Ape fist.

Inside the LabyrinthFor a moment, the adventurers could take in the scene. This used to be a massive complex. Thick dark stone walls formed a room that used to be square, with doors leading in three directions (aside from back outside, where the judges did not seem to be taking up pursuit). But the walls were no longer walls, they were heaps of rubble. The doors were no longer doors, but heaps of splintered and termite-chewed wood. A few peeks of sunlight punched through the ceiling overhead.

The group did not have long to take the scene in. Their entrance destabilized the structure. The floor shifted, then tilted, and then crumbled underfoot. There were a few seconds of falling, and loud rumbling, a plume of dust, and winds whipped in every direction. Finally, dusty and bruised but mostly unharmed by the experience, they saw a long corridor before them.

Brushing off the dust of the collapsed then-floor, now-ceiling, they entered a small 4 foot by 4 foot passage. A strong wind (approximately 20mpg/30kph) blew from the tunnel, into thier faces, and then up into the hole they just fell through, 30 feet overhead. Sometimes the wind whipped faster or slower, which occasinally created whirling eddies. Before the entryway to the small tunnel were several items - a spear, 3 steel shields,50 feet of rope, a wineskin, a crowbar, a 10 foot chain and 3 small potion bottles.

After a glance down the corridor, it was seen that most of the floor, as well as spottier patches of the walls, were coated with a thick layer of green slime. A few feet away was seen the struggling form of a rabbit which had become stuck in the slime, which flailed about in apparent agony. But anyone could react, the rabbit ceased it struggles and began to dissolve under the corrosive slime.

The corridor ended after 40 feet, but a haunting light that shone from the end giving away that the tunnel continued downwards, deeper into the heart of the Labyrinth. This must have been a shortcut to their destination...
__________________

Last edited by Bhelogan; 08-06-2019 at 12:25 PM.
  #6  
Old 08-06-2019, 07:41 PM
MontageManiac's Avatar
MontageManiac MontageManiac is offline
Simple Storysmith
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 12-14-2019
RPXP: 9035
MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac
Posts: 7,568
Kayne Cyire | Male Half-Elf: Hexblade (3) / Paladin (5) | Level 8


HP: 45/65 (Temp: 0)| AC: 18 (20 with shield and Longsword) (+5 w/ shield spell) | Speed: 30' | Hit Dice: 3/3d8 -5/5d10 | Lay on Hands: 25/25 | Pearl of Power: Used | Wand of Pact Keeper Spell Slot Feature: Not used | Status: Here we go...


 

Teamwork until the end...




Coughing, Kayne waved a hand in front of his face to clear some of the dust from his immediate vicinity, and once everything had settled, he looked at his companions who made it through the first gauntlet to look down the very cramped passage to the next area. The dwarf and goblin may not have found it cramped per se, but the 6-foot-plus half-elf was considering what options were available to them at this point. If the rabbit was any indication, touching the slime was not going to be an option for very long…

Looking down at the shields, Kayne guess that they were potentially for the three contestants. Sighing heavily, Kayne scratched at his head. "Right then… let’s try something and see how well it goes. Glory to the bold they always say."

Grasping the spear first, Kayne searches for sturdy rubble within 5 feet of the tunnel’s entrance, that may be able to support 50 feet of fully elevated rope
Dice Perception check:
1d20+3 (16)+3 Total = 19
(19). Once he’s accomplished that, he stabs the spear as deep as he can in the rubble, and angles the shaft so it can be wedged against a side of the chamber, creating an anchor of sorts. He then takes the 50 feet of rope, and ties the rope to the spear so that it can be pulled taut, but does not hang towards the bottom of the passage
Dice Not sure if roll is needed, but here is a dex check:
1d20+2 (7)+2 Total = 9
(9). Picking up one of the shields and the crowbar, Kayne kneels down and looks through the tunnel with the slime and the slowly disintegrating rabbit. "Right then, here’s the stupid plan. I’m going to slide through this slime tunnel on a shield, bringing the rope along with me. Once I get to the other side, I’m going to use the crowbar to try and fashion an anchor on the other side. The next person can use the chain to shimmy their way through riding the other shield, and the last person can be pulled through using the rope if they carefully unfasten it from the spear. Make sense? Right then…"

Taking a deep breath, Kayne took a knee and offered a prayer to the Raven Queen, hoping she’d guide him through this new level of stupidity he was finding himself performing. He then stood up, and walked as far away from the path as he could manage. He took several deep breaths to calm his nerves, and then they got faster, and faster, as he amped himself up for this crazy stunt.

Kayne quickly took the wineskin from the ground and coated the front of the shield with water. It wouldn’t do much for long, but maybe it’ll get him across. He stoppered the wineskin, leaving perhaps half of the water left in there and let it drop to the ground, and then yelled out as he ran head-long for the 4 by 4 tunnel. Just as he was reaching the entrance, he dived forward, placing the shield underneath himself, the rope tied off to his waist in a bundle that would unwind as he slid through the tunnel, and tried his best to ride out the bumpy, sloshing tunnel
Dice Long jump check using Athletics:
1d20+4 (6)+4 Total = 10
(10).

Once his momentum carried him as far forward as he could manage, he began to use the crowbar to pull himself forward, inching bit by bit until he made it all the way to the other side of the tunnel atop the shield, careful not to touch the slime as best he could
Dice Athletics with dexterity check maybe:
1d20+5 (13)+5 Total = 18
(18). Panting, Kayne stood up, and made sure to use whatever was left of the shield to scrape off any slime that may have adhered to his clothing along the way. He then took the crowbar, tied the remainder of the rope around it, careful that it did not dip to the bottom of the tunnel, and then worked to push whatever end he could into the wall next to the tunnel
Dice athletics check:
1d20+4 (13)+4 Total = 17
(17), creating a length of rope running along the slime-free ceiling of the tunnel, so the others could use it to get through.

Panting, Kayne kneeled down to look through the other 40’ end, "Alright, hurry up so we can move on!" Kayne positioned himself against the crowbar so he could be a support for the line, just to reinforce it for the others
Dice Athletics check:
1d20+4 (5)+4 Total = 9
(9).


OOCSo this is going to get complicated...

1) Item interaction with spear to jam it into the rocks
2) Item interaction with rope to tie it off to the spear
3) Pick up the shield and wineskin
4) Pour some of wineskin contents onto shield (assuming water, but alcohol probably ok)
5) Running start to long jump (10’ movement before hand, 13’ for the jump itself, and then using the remaining 20’ as 10’ through difficult terrain, for 33’ of movement through the tunnel during that turn).
6) Moving another 7’ (for 14’ of movement) to get out of tunnel, and then interact with object to tie off rope.
7) Hold onto rope for others.

 






__________________
PCs: Dramoth "Nova" / Rhokax Soulreader / Kayne Cyire / Torm / Donovan Whistler
GM: Scales of War 5e & Yeohven: Fall from Grace
Moving week of Oct 21st. Expect delays, sorry for inconvenience, NPC me if you must to keep games going! Will post when I can!
  #7  
Old 08-07-2019, 01:06 AM
DanshiiWithWulfs's Avatar
DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs is offline
All Bark & Husky
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 12-14-2019
RPXP: 4030
DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs
Posts: 1,039
Vordur Blackburn
right-aligned image
The light of the Lord Fire Eyes' pyres proved little obstruction to the Master of Storm's attention; Vordur could swear that the member of the Nine even smiled as he approached the Labyrinth. Suddenly a funnel of wind materialized out of the air and pushed the cleric down into the ground with an unceremonious thud. A shockwave of dust emanated from where the dwarf landed, and Vordur had to chuckle a bit as he heard Kalas laugh at how ridiculous the dwarf must've looked when he fell.

One way ta stick a landing...

Vordur expected a quick follow-through of attacks, but instead what greeted his sight as he brushed off the dust from his armor was the Master of Storms getting mobbed by the Druid's army of apes. The cleric had no idea what the half-elf did to make it happen, but it was his turn to laugh - a full-bellied, raspy guffaw that came from genuine amusement - with growing volume and duration as One of the Nine got buried in a perspiring pile of promiscuous primates and received their most intimate ministrations. The Druid didn't seem to bothered by what his summoned allies were doing, but after a while even Vordur had to wince then avert his tear-filled eyes as the old geezer Chuchulainen got into the action and tried to pull off an ape from that hot mess. The wild summoner's words rang ominous however as the three were allowed to proceed inside.

"Far worse things than us..."

What could be worse or more powerful than the Nine? Gods? Demons? There was no telling, nor any use in speculating. Vordur moved on with the goblin and the half-elf.

The ruin before them was of a scale unimaginable in size; the dwarf would have inspected the stonework a bit more if the floor hadn't suddenly crumbled away to reveal that they were in a long corridor covered in some corrosive slime. Vordur saw a small animal get caught in the goop and promptly turn into goop itself, and his eyebrows shot up in alarm. When the dust had settled, the cleric sheathed his warhammer Vigilance and took a look around the room. The half-elf picked up a nearby shield, at which point the dwarf inspected the wineskin and one of the small potion bottles. He wafted its smell with his free hand, attempting to discern their contents. Nevertheless, he pockets the bottle and leaves wineskin where he found it, but takes one of the shields that the black-haired man left behind. He listens to the warlock's plan with some interest, but stays on task by gripping the new steel shield in his free hand, ending up with one shield on either side.

"We've more or less th' same plan, lad, so I cannae call it stupid. But based on yer stunt back there - HA! The look on tha' sorcerer's face! - it's as good as any. Never laughed like tha' in a long while... Heh. On ye go, then. I'll follow next."

Vordur watched Kayne executed his intent, and was genuinely relieved to see the lad pull through to the other side successfully. He looked back to Ikol, who seemed to be sorting a plan of his own. Vordur wasn't worried about this one; he was sure the goblin had more aces hidden in his pink sleeves.

"Ye comin, Ikol?"

Without waiting for a reply, the dwarf proceeded through the tunnel in a slightly different angle compared to that of the half-elf. Sticking his shield-arms to his sides, Vordur's body tilts as if the winged boots on his feet were rising in the air while his head remained in place, tilting on an invisible axis. The elevation stops when his feet become perpendicular to the ground; the cleric gives a cheeky wink at Ikol, then floats like a stout log with shields on either side through the passageway. The wind was difficult to bear, but Vordur used the rope that Kayne had thoughtfully placed taut along the tunnel to serve as a hold for when it blew the hardest; when the breeze weakened, he would continue on. Once though, the dwarf placed his feet on the ground beside the half-elf and added what meager strength he had to hold the rope in place for the goblin.

"Yer turn, wee one! We may be competitors, but tha' nae stoppin' me from givin' Gorm's aid ta those in need. Gather round fer healin, if ye need it! Wha's yer name, by the by, lad? That trick ye pulled on the Nine... Bet Kalas'd remember that fer ages. Pray we don' get outta here alive, or ye'd have him ta reckon with. But by Gorm was that a sight!"

The dwarf claps the man's shoulder warmly, which was only made a bit stranger by the uncharacteristic smile painted on Vordur's scarred face. As he continues to hold the rope for the goblin, the cleric speaks dwarven words of healing for the three, then digs out a pearl from his pack and whisper another word to activate its latent power. As the glow dissipates from the item, Vordur puts the pearl back into his pack and resumes his task.

OOC
 

Stat Block
 
__________________
RL monster is evolving! Gonna be erratic for the rest of the year :'(

Last edited by DanshiiWithWulfs; 08-07-2019 at 01:10 AM.
  #8  
Old 08-07-2019, 06:27 AM
Zinrokh's Avatar
Zinrokh Zinrokh is offline
Goblin Jester
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 12-14-2019
RPXP: 3243
Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh
Posts: 1,201
Ikol
left-aligned image
Ikol

Up to this point Ikol had not so much as received a scratch; no bumps, no scraps, no boo-boos... that was until Cuchulainen's blade caught him
Dice DEX save for half damage (12 to 6):
D20+8sch14 (5)+8 Total = 13
(13)...not in fair and honest combat but as an ungentlemanly, unsportsmanlike and Ikol judged purial and spiteful blow... like a punch after the bell or deliberate shot to the 'soup cans'.

Ikol dropped his sandwich
Dice CON save (concentration: enhance ability:
D20+3sch10 (14)+3 Total = 17
(17) and looked in wide-eyed disbelief at the old man. "Hey! Really?! Like that!" Ikol protested growing irate... "You can take your PG-13 and stick it up your PG-13 and PG-13 yourself, you old wanker... I mean PG-13er and then...." the goblin, quite obviously not finished with his tirade, was cut short as his backward steps brought him inside and the floor beneath him gave way...

...The contestants slid down into the depths of the labyrinth.

---------

Ikol stood and dusted himself off before them lay the next challenge. A perfectly well-sized tunnel, perfect for goblin's at least. Ikol watched with morbid curiosity as a lone rabbit, (that by some strange twist of fate had found itself in the depths of the labyrinth) gruesomely expired. "Overly-forced exposition" he critiqued "perhaps a 'rat' would have seemed a little more fitting... why a bunny?"

"Looks like we're dealing with 'acidic' slime" he concluded sarcastically. "Ok, so..." Ikol turned just in time to see Kayne launch himself along the tunnel using a shield as a sled, a length of rope tied to his waist. "Well that's one way to do it" the goblin commented as he watched the warlock drag himself slowly... but surely... to the far end before busying himself with securing the rope.

Ikol than observed the dwarf of whom Ikol could discern about 10% of his spoken words. The dwarf said something to Ikol... and Ikol smiled... and nods along before unsureadly answering "Yep" and giving him the thumbs up. Ikol waves the cleric off as he floats down the corridor before leaning into to his staff "nope," he admits to the staff "not a word"

---------

Ikol then walks over to the available items perusing them and considering their merits and possible applications.

In the end Ikol pockets the remaining potion and then salters over to the tunnel.

He looks along its length to the others attempting to aid his crossing. Then without preamble Ikol simply walks up the exterior wall and then around onto the ceiling of the tunnel. He then casually walks the length of the tunnel his Slippers of spider climbingmagical sandals adhering to the stone ceiling.

At the far end, Ikol simply steps out onto wall and down onto the floor.

"Thanks for the assist" he gives Kayne a wide, though not altogether genuine grin "The rope thing...simply masterful and the shield slide...wow" He gives the half-elf a friendly congratulatory pat on the back, while giving a shrug to Vordun.

"Shall we gents?..." he confidently suggests "...and lady" he adds uncomfortably avoiding eye contact with the half-elf. Together they venture deeper into the labyrinth and its next challenge.



OOC
 

Last edited by Zinrokh; 08-07-2019 at 07:00 AM.
  #9  
Old 08-07-2019, 11:52 AM
Bhelogan's Avatar
Bhelogan Bhelogan is online now
Druid of the Coast
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 12-14-2019
RPXP: 20040
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Posts: 16,868
Water Slides are not quite like Slime SlidesThere was a daring plan put into place. Use the shield like a sled, and try to coast through the tunnel, using a crowbar like an oar, and pulling a rope behind to help the other adventurers navigate the small corrosive-slime filled corridor. Kayne started of his plan well, finding a decent place to anchor a spear to, and tied off his rope to it. Then, things started to go downhill. Or, rather, straight rather than down hill. With a running start, Kayne tried to slide on his shield. Doing so, his footing gave way just before the leap, and he more fell into the shield on the ground, splashing some slime around. Some of it splashed onto his arm, and caused it to burn. All in all, the show of bravado did not make for much travel, maybe gaining two feet of distance. The rest, Kayne would have to 'paddle' along with the makeshift crowbar-oar.

Vordur followed along next, using his own shield. He picked up a potion
Dice which potion?:
1d3 1
(1), discovering that the blue vial was cold to the touch. It probably would provide some protection against flames. He then started his own voyage, using his flying boots to help propel himself along the ground. The rope, he could hold onto as needed, but doing so would also pull on Kayne. Hopefully, the wind would not blow too hard, or it might push the pair backward. And even worse, they might lose the rope, if it wasn't pulled taunt fast enough.

Ikol had his own way to navigate the tunnel, being able to climb on the ceiling, from which most of the slime had already dropped. His biggest obstacle was the two folks in front of him, who on their shields were taking up too much room for him to be able to easily pass around.

Then, mid-way through the tunnel, the wind picked up. It battered Kayne, Vordur and Ikol with winds of a magical force that was going to put their strength to the test.


OODMKayne - takes
Dice Roll:
1d10 6
(6) acid damage from green slime splashing on him with the initial jump.

To resolve the actions of this challenge, I need everyone to make a DC 15 STR saving throw. Failure means you are knocked backward, (and off the ceiling in Ikol's case). If Kayne or Vordur fail, the other needs to make the check at disadvantage. If Vordur fails, he will run into Ikol, making Ikol roll at disadvantage. To avoid conflict of potential posting order, go-ahead post both rolls, just in case.

__________________

Last edited by Bhelogan; 08-07-2019 at 12:02 PM.
  #10  
Old 08-07-2019, 04:01 PM
MontageManiac's Avatar
MontageManiac MontageManiac is offline
Simple Storysmith
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 12-14-2019
RPXP: 9035
MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac
Posts: 7,568
Kayne Cyire | Male Half-Elf: Hexblade (3) / Paladin (5) | Level 8


HP: 46/65 (Temp: 0)| AC: 18 (20 with shield and Longsword) (+5 w/ shield spell) | Speed: 30' | Hit Dice: 3/3d8 -5/5d10 | Lay on Hands: 25/25 | Pearl of Power: Used | Wand of Pact Keeper Spell Slot Feature: Not used | Status: Here we go...


 

The Answer is Blowing in the Wind




Wincing against the magical maelstrom impeding their path, Kayne desperately tries to hold fast against the gust, having little to prevent him from moving backwards, he uses the crowbar to wedge within a gap of the floor and attempt to resist the terrible wind
Dice Strength saving throw:
1d20+1sch15 (19)+1 Total = 20
(20)
Dice Strength saving throw disadvantage:
1d20+1sch15 (17)+1 Total = 18
(18).

Gritting his teeth, Kayne pulls through with such strength that he could only find within the depths of his core, crying out in opposition to the gale, "By Vecna’s empty socket I hate this!" within his other hand, trying to prevent further sliding, he brings his greatsword into existence at an angle behind him in the cramped space, to push against the gale force wind. Crimson ruins charging to light along the shadowy blade as he uses it for further purchase.

With each ounce of his strength, he claws his way through to the other side of the tunnel, the corrosive slime still sizzling on his clothing. Panting, groaning with pain, and shaking his head, Kayne breathlessly says, "Kayne, master dwarf. My name is Kayne. Ser Kayne Cyire." This last honorific was meant more for Ikol’s benefit.

Kayne wasn’t offended really, he’d come across enough folks in his travel who preferred to be identified in a manner that was not heterogenous, but it seemed the goblin was trying to work something out, and why give the poor creature more work for its belabored mind. Kayne was certainly having difficulty keeping track of it all.

Looking back to the dwarf, Kayne smiled and clapped him on the shoulder, "Thank you kindly for the healing… it was timely given the slime I stupidly splashed upon myself there."


OOCI know you said strength saving throw, but just in case an athletics check could work, I’ll roll that here…

Dice Athletics in place of saving throw if alloed:
1d20+4sch15 (16)+4 Total = 20
(20)
Dice Athletics in place of saving throw if allowed disadvantage :
1d20+4sch15 (11)+4 Total = 15
(15).
Actions:
1: strength saving throw / athletics check
2: create greatsword as a counter point
3: continue through tunnel to other side as quickly as possible

 






__________________
PCs: Dramoth "Nova" / Rhokax Soulreader / Kayne Cyire / Torm / Donovan Whistler
GM: Scales of War 5e & Yeohven: Fall from Grace
Moving week of Oct 21st. Expect delays, sorry for inconvenience, NPC me if you must to keep games going! Will post when I can!

Last edited by MontageManiac; 08-07-2019 at 04:03 PM.
  #11  
Old 08-07-2019, 05:25 PM
Zinrokh's Avatar
Zinrokh Zinrokh is offline
Goblin Jester
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 12-14-2019
RPXP: 3243
Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh
Posts: 1,201
Ikol
left-aligned image
Ikol


Saultering through behind the two larger competitors could have been the biggest challenge their oddly shaped and lanky bulks poorly designed for the confines of the tunnel... then came the winds.

Ikol hand went to his head to ensure his hat was not taken by the sudden gust and pushed on into the wind
Dice STR save:
D20+6sch15 (1 (natural 1))+6   Total = 7
(7). Then the wind caught him and he was in the air falling. Desperately Ikol attempted to avoid the acidic coating of the tunnel using his staff to push off the floor as he fell and force his feet against the walls and mitigate what contact he could with the corrosive substance
Dice Acrobatics check:
2D20+10kh1 (20, 13 (keeping 20) )+10 Total = 30
(30)... and what he achieved was actually Where was that nat 20 when I needed it?quite miraculous. Nimbly balancing upon on his staff like a pogo stick, he allowed the gale to carry him backward through the tunnel. As the wind ceased Ikol in true cirque du soleil fashion performed a half handstand to reattached his magical footwraps to the ceiling once more.

Then he pushed on once more
Dice 2nd STR save:
D20+6sch15 (4)+6 Total = 10
(10)... and the wind took him once more... "Why do I bother with drinking potions of giant strength?" he muttered angrily... picking himself back up and storming angrly once more into the tunnel.

Perhaps comically to some he was forced back out of the tunnel by the third gust of wind...
Dice 3rd STR save:
D20+6sch15 (7)+6 Total = 13
(13). "This is ridiculous" he complained "You know if you'd failed the roll once... once... I'd have taken a little damage... but it would have been resolved and we could just move on..." he complained to no one.

and a forth he was dragged unceremoniously and ejected from the tunnel...
Dice 4th STR save:
D20+6sch15 (4)+6 Total = 10
(10) "Really?" he cried, complaining to thin air "You're just going to keep rolling Zin... NOT smart..."

Ikol finally stomped over the line on his fifth attempt, his face pure murder, clothes smoldering with acid, skin burning and mind raging
Dice 5th STR save:
D20+6sch15 (16)+6 Total = 22
(22). "Shall... we...?" he forced through gritted teeth.




OOC
 

Last edited by Zinrokh; 08-07-2019 at 05:58 PM.
  #12  
Old 08-07-2019, 08:52 PM
DanshiiWithWulfs's Avatar
DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs is offline
All Bark & Husky
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 12-14-2019
RPXP: 4030
DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs
Posts: 1,039
Vordur Blackburn
right-aligned image
-----
"HARDER!"

The young short-bearded dwarf battered the shield with his hammer as hard as he could, sending it vibrating like a gong; Vordur's muscles certainly vibrated as well with the effort. But no dent was made.

"Weak," the drill sergeant spat. "Are ye a dwarf, boy? I've seen drunkards an' wenches stronger 'an ye! Keep swingin' those arms a yers until ye DO punch a hole through that man-steel! Go on, did I tell ye ta stop?!"

The cleric apprentice ground his teeth in frustration, but obeyed. He tried not to listen to the whispers, but it had been said that Vordur Blackburn's only talent was his affinity for the divine. He lacked the strength or resolve of a warrior, and therefore was unfit to be a Guardian of Gorm. That angered him; not that they talked about him behind his back, but that Moradin fashioned him to be this way. For what dwarf would he be, if he were not strong?

As his arms started to numb from the endless strikes, Vordur started to growl.


-----

The wind far more problematic than Vordur had first realized. The half-elf in front was making slow progress, and cursed when the wind started to batter them like a wall; yet he made it through with little difficulty.

"Good work! Now be a lad an' hold that rope fast!"

By some miracle, or perhaps thanks to Gorm's continued favor, the cleric's flight was unhindered by the wind. The shields also proved ample protection from the wind, and Vordur reached the end of the tunnel after some laborious breathing. He looked down - or was it behind? - and saw the goblin Ikol climbing on the ceiling with little difficulty using some sort of magical footgear. Hr. Looks like drow magic... That is, until he was blown away by the strong breeze. By the time the goblin got through, it took Vordur considerably more effort to hold his mirth than it did to get himself through that passageway, which was saying a lot.

"Blessed Gorm, this day is one of unfathomable wonders... Yes, Ikol, and Ser Kayne, let's."

OOC
 

Stat Block
 
__________________
RL monster is evolving! Gonna be erratic for the rest of the year :'(

Last edited by DanshiiWithWulfs; 08-07-2019 at 09:00 PM.
  #13  
Old 08-08-2019, 10:09 AM
Bhelogan's Avatar
Bhelogan Bhelogan is online now
Druid of the Coast
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 12-14-2019
RPXP: 20040
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Posts: 16,868
Past the PassageKayne and Vordur continued to work together, both pulling their weight so to speak, until the pair of shield sledding fellows reached the end of the passage. Had either faltered, it would have made the slimy corridor that much harder to pass for the ones behind them. Strange, that teamwork was so effective, especially when the contestants were in competition with each other. Perhaps there was a lesson there. As they reached the end, and stood from their shields though, they had to thank the gods that the corridor was not any longer. Vordur's shield had some magic to it, which kept it intact. The other shield, however, had nearly been completely eaten through, and would now be useless as a protective device.

Ikol, simply had to wait for the two shield sledders in front of him to get out of the way. As the wind buffeted him, he struggled to keep his sticky feet on the ceiling. At one point, he fell down into the slim, despite the potion he had drunk to give himself great strength, it took a few moments of sloshing and sploshing around to get out of the muck. It left his cloaths and skin burnt. But, after recovering himself, he didn't make the same mistake twice, and was able to navigate the rest of the tunnel with the others.

OODM
The Shield picked up at the start of the tunnel is essentially destroyed now. Vordur's shield was magical and otherwise would have been eaten away as well.

MontageManiac - these were Saves, not ability checks. However, my preference, if you think you should use a different skill or ability, don't make a new role. Just indicate what the modifier would have been. Otherwise, your just making a bunch of rolls with different skills hoping one of them will be good enough to pass.

Ikol - gets splashed with a fair amount of slime. Takes
Dice acid damage:
2d10 7, 4 Total = 11
(11) acid damage. - I only needed you to roll once though. This wasn't a roll until you succeed type situation.

The Sub-LabyrinthSomewhat worse for wear, the three adventurers continued on. The tunnel passageway continued downwards before taking an abrupt turn, and continuing on. As more and more corridors were transversed, they became more natural, and less dwarven-built. Water dripped and trickled along the floor. Side passages abruptly ended, or doubled back, or ended up not being side passages at all, but a way to continue forward. A frustrating series of turns, lit by an eerie light, finally brought the adventurers to an end.

The passageway had two features. First, there was a stout metal door with no apparent handle or knob to open it. Second, there was an ornate pedestal.

The pedestal stood about four feet tall. There was a basin inscribed with runes in a strange old language. In the basin sat a shiny smooth black orb. On each side of the orb was an impression of a hand, as if someone squeezed the stone and molded it like clay.

As the adventurers approached, the runes began to glow green. The ancient runes appeared, faded out of existence, then relight in a modern common language. They read:

Glowing RunesThe whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Your strength alone will now allow you to pass. All who would enter must share their very essence to open the way. If any withholds, all will fail.


But what was your essence? And was the Nine really asking for some kind of donation? It's was hard to know if one should give a little, or a lot. Perhaps one should give all they could. Perhaps this was a game or a ruse, and the only winning move is to not play at all.
OODMThe time to travel here is long enough that all 1-hour buffs have passed.

__________________

Last edited by Bhelogan; 08-08-2019 at 10:28 AM.
  #14  
Old 08-08-2019, 03:43 PM
MontageManiac's Avatar
MontageManiac MontageManiac is offline
Simple Storysmith
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 12-14-2019
RPXP: 9035
MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac
Posts: 7,568
Kayne Cyire | Male Half-Elf: Hexblade (3) / Paladin (5) | Level 8


HP: 46/65 (Temp: 0)| AC: 18 (20 with shield and Longsword) (+5 w/ shield spell) | Speed: 30' | Hit Dice: 3/3d8 -5/5d10 | Lay on Hands: 15/25 | Pearl of Power: Used | Wand of Pact Keeper Spell Slot Feature: Not used | Status: Here we go...


 

Extra Burnt...



Kayne winced as Ikol passed through the slime with more singes than even he suffered. Placing a hand on the goblin’s shoulder, he smiled comfortingly at the little comedian, "It takes a great thespian to commit themselves to a bit such as you, perhaps this will ease the sting a little."

From the palm of Kayne’s hand, an icy cold sensation touched Ikol’s shoulder, and began to spread out from under the paladin’s palm, but slowly warmed as a crisp winter’s day can do when the sun fully emerges from behind the cloud cover. Ikol didn’t feel completely healed, but much of the most fearsome looking burns seemed to scab over and Ikol gains 5 HP from lay on handsbegin their natural healing process.

Glancing back through the tunnel, Kayne audibly sighed, "I should have grabbed one of those potions… ah well…" Turning with the others, he continued on their journey, following the ebb and flow of the labyrinth, until their next obstacle presented itself… or Ikol decided to kill them all, he supposed.


Let the Party Game begin…



Once the group had arrived in this new chamber, the door was clearly solid and shut, and the path forward must have been involving the sphere with the impressions of hand prints within the basin.

"Listen… I am not the sharpest tool in the barn, I understand that. But perhaps in order to pass through that door, we must work together on this? The wording, if it is to be believed, suggests we cannot pass on our own. This sphere, has imprints on each side… if they are equally spaced it could be just about any number of hands, but, if we think of it as a cube, then it should have six imprints. Luckily there are three of us and none lost a hand in that tunnel, although it came close a few times. If we all put both hands on the sphere, I suspect we’d be able to carry it with us through that door. Whether it turns us intangible or what, I don’t know… but I’ll be the first to try."

Stepping forward to the basin, Kayne places his hand on the top of the sphere, and reaches underneath to touch the bottom, taking a deep breath, "All who enter must share their essence to do so. Well, I am a paladin of the Order of the Dusk, and I share the essence of myself: my faith, my hope, and whatever power can be mustered to combat the evil within the night."

With a similar light as was present for Ikol about an hour before, Kayne allowed his divine power granted by the Raven Queen to flow through his hands and into the 5 HP from lay on handssphere, hoping to affect the fates of himself and his comrades through the action.

With the others joining him, Kayne nods towards the door, "Let’s see whether we can get through now shall we? That or something unpleasant I imagine."

Decision made, Kayne awaits to be joined by the others to try and get past this unique obstacle. It was never as simple as the first idea. Especially Kayne’s first idea.


OOC@Bhel: no problem, I’ll just roll one dice moving forward with a note or potential modifiers.

Actions List:
1 Healed Ikol for 5 point using lay on hands.
2 object interaction with sphere
3 Used 5 points of Lay on Hands for “essence”
4 prepared to use athletics check to move sphere with group
Dice Athletics check to move sphere with group:
1d20+4 (8)+4 Total = 12
(12)

 






__________________
PCs: Dramoth "Nova" / Rhokax Soulreader / Kayne Cyire / Torm / Donovan Whistler
GM: Scales of War 5e & Yeohven: Fall from Grace
Moving week of Oct 21st. Expect delays, sorry for inconvenience, NPC me if you must to keep games going! Will post when I can!
  #15  
Old 08-09-2019, 02:20 AM
DanshiiWithWulfs's Avatar
DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs is offline
All Bark & Husky
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 12-14-2019
RPXP: 4030
DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs
Posts: 1,039
Vordur Blackburn
right-aligned image
It was quite an irony to Vordur as the group proceeded downward and further the Labyrinth that the dynamics of the group in this competition improved as they progressed into each test. Normally in a contest where only one would be declared the winner, the competitors may work together at first, then gradually grow to distrust one another and pursue each individual's goals on their own. Here at the Nine's series of tests, the reverse was true; the cleric and his other companions from the East Gate went their own ways to rescue the children, without receiving aid from anyone. In the second test, dwarf joined forces with elf to clear a room full of maddened kobolds. Now in this third test, it seemed that teamwork was essential to make the door work.

What're th' Nine are up to, with this test... Do they mean us to form bonds, then break 'em? Teach us some sort of twisted lesson on responsibility, on the discipline of duty?

"Death is lighter than a feather; duty, heavier than a mountain."

That was something the older barakor used to say. They uttered it not in resignation, but as encouragement. There were those who have gone before and borne it. There were those who succeeded. What would he be? How would Vordur fare?

Then Kayne spoke up.

Like before, it was the lad who seemed to be the first to act, the first to plan; he was a trailblazer, hot-blooded. Yet the youth was also creative, and made the dwarf feel just for a moment that the fate of the realms did not rest upon the conclusion of this test. He liked this one. Ikol, from the little that the cleric had witnessed of him/her/it, was a wild one. One never knew what he/she/it'd do next, which could tip the scales of success one way or the other. So far, the only hostility Ikol had shown was towards the Nine, which Vordur understood perfectly. It was also obvious that the goblin was powerful as well as ingenious, if unhinged; for the most part, that was an asset. For the most part.

Vordur unstoppered one of the last remaining potions of healing he had, and drank its contents. Soon most of the fresher burns and wounds he had received from the battle before and the bones that were fractured from his fall earlier begain to knit together, mending itself with the aid of magic. When he saw the half-elf place his hands on the orb and describe his "essence", the dwarf soon follows.

"Ikol, yer an expert in th' arcane, no? Will the lad's idea work? Worth a shot, at least, unless ye got a better idea..."

The faifhful of Gorm had always revered fire. They looked for portents and omens in the flames; sometimes they simply admired its ability to consume as well as give life. The Lord Fire Eyes was the protector of life. Vordur couldn't think of any other appropriate essence than to share the Sacred Flame of Gorm Gulthyn.

As he once again served as the conduit of the divine power of his deity, the cleric couldn't help but chant one of the poems they had learned as apprentices to the barakor. His voice boomed softly, like a tremor running through the ancient passageways under the mountains, to the beat of an invisible war drum.

"With flame the world began,
In flame it shall end;
To us the flame is a guardian,
But the wicked it shall rend.

Never waver, ye Barakor,
For the Vigilant do not tire;
Beware the enemy who comes to our door,
For Gorm is a consuming fire."

OOC
 

Stat Block
 
__________________
RL monster is evolving! Gonna be erratic for the rest of the year :'(

Last edited by DanshiiWithWulfs; 08-09-2019 at 02:21 AM.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:23 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2019, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB