Superior Sorcerer Supreme

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4627
Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal
Princes of the Apocalypse

Game NamePrinces of the Apocalypse
Game SystemDnD 5e
ThemeThe end of the world as you know it but you *rolls d20* feel fine.
FlavourDaring Heroics vs. Unrelenting Evil
A Scorched Faerūn Campaign

Rumors are starting to spread from The Dessarin Valley. Bandits outnumber local watchmen, ferocious beasts hunt and devour livestock, crops are perishing under radically shifting weather, suspicious figures whisper from dark corners about how 'everything will change'. Some adventurers have already gone to investigate these strange goings-on but so far none have returned. Now the rumors are growing that the bizarre weather is spreading, beginning to occur on the very edges of Dessarin Valley.

The time to act is now! Uncover the truth to these rumors before Dessarin Valley and beyond is consumed by the rampant forces of nature!

IntroductionHello! Thanks for checking out this advert. I'm Tyeal and I'm trying to become a better GM by pushing past my anxiety and hopefully run a fun game. I plan to run a tactics-leaning game as some of my favorite video games are Final Fantasy Tactics, X-COM, and Into The Breach. I want to tell this story well, give my party chances to shine as great, flawed characters, make combat tense, award cool swag and just try to ensure everyone has fun.

House RulesI find 5e to be a bit lacking in terms of worthwhile combat mechanics and choices in a fight for martial-leaning characters. So here are a few house rules I'd like to list to keep in mind when building your character.
- The Grappler feat won't be used. Instead, everyone can just perform a Grapple as part of their Action. 2 successful Grapple checks give your target the Restrained condition.
- Flanking is in effect. Two allies flanking one target grants +1 to hit and allows for Sneak Attack. Three gives +1 attack and +1 damage. Caps at +2 to hit +2 damage.
- Add Con bonus to Death Saves.

-Large change to how I plan to handle Inspiration. See below.

Application FormatName:
Race:
Class:
Background:
Bond:
Ideal:
Flaw:
Backstory: I will suggest that you keep in mind what your character is doing in Desserin Valley. Are they a local? Did they head out to answer the growing rumors? What are their reasons to investigate?

RP Sample: This is purely optional. This can either be a previous post that you're particularly proud of to show off your writing ability or you can respond to the following scenes:
- You are on your way home from [insert past-time here] when you hear an animal crying for help. You follow the sound and encounter a cow standing over a steep ditch where her calf has fallen in. Do you rescue the newborn and how do you do so?
- You have had a successful night of Three-Dragon Ante, securing yourself a rather nice pot of 200g at the end of the evening. How do you spend it?
- You have been hired as a mercenary to protect an up and coming government official. They're giving a speech in the town square when you see movement among the crowd. You catch a glimpse of a cloaked figure weaving in and out, occasionally bumping into others but headed towards the speaking platform. What do you do?

Starting CharacterLevel: 2 (Max HP then average or roll)
Stats: 27 point-buy or 4d6 drop the low. If you roll you will have the choice to re-roll your lowest stat and your highest stat. After that you MUST keep those rolls. You can roll stats in this thread here.
Starting Gear: What's listed for the class +100g
Races Allowed: PHB & Volo's Guide
Classes Allowed: Xanathar's Guide and SCAG are allowed. Mystic is not allowed. Sorry, just not a fan of Psionics. I will allow a few select homebrew classes to choose from for those interested.

The Warlord

The Artificer - Magical Crafting Revision

The Runepriest

Deadline
Cut-off for application is set for August 23rd.

Player Character Race & Class Status
Inimity Skjall Lizardfolk Druid Complete
Hiruma Kohaku Marcus Bolrek Human Monk Complete
Grouchy Safira Proudburrow Halfling Rogue Complete
Alemar Talion Songbreeze Half-Elf Paladin Complete
ParizalFair Hatari "Ari" M'kani Human Runepriest WIP
Jab Burrwalky Anwir 'Clever' Dolin Tiefling Cleric (Trickster) Complete
Silk Sara Agate Human Warlord Complete
Numen Wraith Gharn Fallowfen Human Fighter Complete
DemonSlayer Aramil Selevarun Wood Elf Ranger Complete
zarzak Simon Human Hexblade/Wizard Complete
Unko Talok Bellamin "Bel" Serpenthelm Half-Elf Sorcerer Complete
Boomy Calum Finlay Dwarf Monk Complete
Hundur Grizz the Lasher Bugbear Fighter/Rogue Complete
Drager Ukani Human Rogue Withdrawn
Aoem Rensau The Raven-Bow Kenku Bard Complete
Morathor Yian Liechin Tiefling Warlock Complete
Therril Irian Ormbryr Dragonborn Cleric Complete
Daendil Lenna Half-Elf Barbarian Complete
EditionsVeteran Tefkros of Redhorn Human Fighter Complete
Stegy Edaris Orc Barbarian Complete

Please note in your post when you feel your application is complete.

Last edited by Tyeal; Today at 08:30 PM.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:43 PM
Fist of Mystra

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 160
Inimity Inimity
APPLICATION COMPLETE
left-aligned image
Name:Skjall <-link to sheet
Race: Lizardfolk
Class: Druid
Background: Outlander
Bond: The forest has given me signs of a coming catastrophe that I must do anything to prevent.
Ideal: The natural world is more important than all the constructs of civilization.
Flaw: Don't expect me to save those who can't save themselves. It is nature's way that the strong thrive and the weak perish.
Backstory: Skjall has known a life of simple tradition, following in his ancestors footsteps. His people, nature-bound lizardfolk, have lived within the High Forest for many generations, living as nomads within the safety provided by the seemingly unending amount of trees. The areas around them have known much conflict but they have done their best to avoid it and prosper of their own volition. From a young age Skjall has shown a connection to the forest and the animals within it, providing ample opportunity for his tribe to prosper within their own small region of the forest. After much time traveling nearly to nearly the northern end of the High Forest, the tribe had chosen to settle down in an area known for being the aftermath of a terrible battle, showing many visible signs of the earth in these areas not fully recovering. Helping to guide his people, Skjall had established a foundation for his tribe, allowing for the lizardfolk to live without many intruders into their territory for they fear the land in which this battle had occurred so long ago.

It is as of late, however, that Skjall has found that his conversations with the forest and it's inhabitants have become plagued with the haunting feeling of something approaching. The animals are not showing themselves as often, the weather is becoming more harsh, the waters are running slower, the sounds of living creatures throughout the area have become a still silence that has left Skjall uneasy. Not knowing whether it is a beast or some impending cataclysm, he set out from his people to find the answers he would need to protect his newfound home.

RP Sample: You are traveling to a local town when you hear an animal crying for help. You follow the sound and encounter a cow standing over a steep ditch where her calf has fallen in. Do you rescue the newborn and how do you do so?

Hearing the recognizable sounds of an animal in distress, Skjall changed his path from heading down the road towards a local town to instead use his staff to push a way through the brush and find out what was causing such a commotion. Coming to a small clearing he found what seemed to be a cow standing near the edge of a large ditch. Using his staff to take the weight off of his feet, he made his way over to the cow while trying to keep the ditch between them. Once reaching the edge, the lizardfolk peered down and could make out the shape of what could only be a calf at the bottom. Taking a few moments to look through his things for something that could help the poor animal but he slowly came to the conclusion that he did not have a way to get down into the hole and back out again safely let alone with the added weight of a calf. Knowing that his presence as the cold-blooded predator he looked like was only going to cause the mother to become more distressed, the lizardfolk could only take a step back and think of the vicious cycle of nature that was being presented before him. Is this another sign? A possible future for Skjall? Elders watch the young die helplessly?

Shaking his head clear of these thoughts of what could be, he looked up at the mother to give her a slight bow of his head, a sign of pity for the poor thing.

"Some are not as lucky as their elders." he stated, motioning to the ditch. "Nature always wins. Do not waste time here, your young will not survive. You should go live, that is most important. Dying with it solves nothing." With that, Skjall gathered his things and started back off towards the town, leading the way with his staff once again.

Posting Rate: I am able to post multiple times a day, every day of the week. I'm often able to be active throughout the day.

Last edited by Inimity; 08-15-2019 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-11-2019, 07:35 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 410
Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku
Love this idea for a campaign! Posting place holder. Will definitely play a warlord.

Edit: since a warlord was already submitted, I decided to make a monk.

Last edited by Hiruma Kohaku; 08-12-2019 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Changed class pick
Old 08-11-2019, 08:56 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 427
Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar
left-aligned image
*Application Complete*
Name: Talion Songbreeze
Race: Half-Elf
Class: Paladin

Background: Orphan (Custom Outlander)
Bond (Outlander): I suffer awful visions of the coming disaster, and will do anything to prevent it
Ideal (Entertainer): I idolize a hero from the old tales, and measure my own deeds against theirs
Flaw (Outlander): There is no room for caution in a life lived to it's fullest

Backstory: Talion had grown up an orphan, a sad and lonely existence for a child. Having been dropped off at the orphanage at a few months old, he had no chance at memories from a life before the cold, looming building he now found himself in. The half-elf may have had it luckier than others of his breed, but even still, his heart was shattered. The only possessions the poor boy had owned, a small bronze trinket, and a patch of parchment, only large enough to give his name, were long gone before he could even remember having them. The trinket having been taken by the House Matron, was sold for a few coppers, and once his name had been given, the parchment had been burned as it no longer held purpose.

As he grew, his mixed ancestry began to show the difference between himself and the others. Weekly visits from priests ensured that the unwanted would know of God's plan for them. and would often raise unwelcome questions from the troubled boy. As pennance for his insolence, he would receive beatings from the Clerics; and for giving such a poor display of gratitude, the Matron as well. His only respite was to spend his days at The Wild Lily, a nearby, and rather run down brothel. There, at least, he could lick his wounds, and recover in warmth. The girls had taken a shine to the young boy, and would recall to him tales between clients. He learned the stories far off places, and the names of Heroes who had hailed from them. He learned of fierce monsters, and the valiant knights, empowered by Gods, who rode out to save those who were weak, different, and downtrodden.

As adolescence began, Talion took odd jobs for the Lily, repairing the building, cleaning the various rooms, running errands to fetch materials, and delivering payment to the various vendors needed by such an establishment. At the end of each long week, Talion would return to his sanctuary. The only place he could feel safe, and remember himself. The place that had given him employment, and hope again after so many years. Eager to spend his meager wages in trade for a little extra food, and the privilege of earning his manhood from the newer stocks that occasionally passed through the Oaken doors. Talion's life cycled as the seasons, until that one fate filled night when the dreams came.

Connection to the Valley:
Talion had been having the nightmares for weeks. At first he passed it off as chance, nothing out of the ordinary for one to have the occasional bad dream, or so he told himself. But night after night, he kept having them. Even paying for a cleric's blessings, and every tincture, and potion the alchemists would hawk to cleanse his mind, could not keep them at bay for long. After each vision, Talion would awaken with a strange yearning drawing him out of the city, to the wilds of beyond. East... ever East, his mind would scream to him, until the reality of his situation set him aright, at least until sleep took him again. So here he was, after weeks on the road, in a place called Dessarin, and finally, at long last, the dreams have stopped.

RP Sample #3
Talion smiled broadly as he felt the weight of his now overflowing coin purse jingling against his hip. His mind spun wildly in anticipation, as his feet carried him up the well traveled steps to the Wild Lily. Of all the taverns and brothels in this dirty city, this was the one where Talion felt most at ease. As the heavy wooden door, ornamented with carved lilies and vines, swung inward towards the welcoming glow of the many lit hearths, and the low din of the establishment; the familiar mix of heat, pipe smoke, and perfume wafted out to greet him. Tonight was to be fully enjoyed, with all the pleasures that spiced wine, a fresh bath, and the company of alluring women could bring him...after all, it was likely to be a short life, and life well enjoyed, is life well lived.

Last edited by Alemar; 08-20-2019 at 01:12 PM. Reason: updating
Old 08-11-2019, 09:03 PM
Do you feel in charge?

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2449
ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair
I was just looking at this the other day! I'll put something together.

Application
right-aligned image

Name: Hatari "Ari" M'kani -- Male, 29
Race: Human Variant -- Turami
Class: Runepriest
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Background: Godspeaker (Acolyte/Sage mix)
--Personality Trait: I am tolerant of other people's faiths and beliefs. I enjoy learning and sharing knowledge, and take any opportunity to do so.
--Ideal: Knowledge. Through the careful pursuit of knowledge, all peoples may benefit.
--Bond: My holy duty is to spread knowledge, from myths and legends to farming techniques.
--Flaw: I am easily distracted by the promise of knowledge.

Appearance:

Backstory:

RP Sample

Last edited by ParzivalFair; 08-16-2019 at 05:14 PM.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:42 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 308
Jab Burrwalky Jab Burrwalky Jab Burrwalky Jab Burrwalky
COMPLETED

left-aligned image

Name:Anwir 'Ciever' Dolion
Race: Tielfing
Class: Cleric (Trickster Domain)
Background: Charlatan
Bond: I owe my life to Mask, who sometimes speaks to me in my meditations, and teaches me new things. I try to spread devotion to him wherever I can, especially among the downtrodden.
Ideal: Excitement. I know I will never have a stable home, so I travel and seek the excitement and challenge of new cons and tricks.
Flaw: My scams have become an addiction now, and I will even take on a false persona even when it might be safer not to. Just to see if I can get away with it...

Backstory: I was born an outcast. Always on the fringes, always on the streets. I moved from town to town along the Sword Coast, looking for somewhere I could at least be allowed to work and live in peace. In Baldur's Gate I was arrested on suspicion of theft. I had nothing to do with it. In Waterdeep I was chased out of town on suspicion of devil-worship. Understandable, but I had never worshiped anything at that point in my life. But after that I realized something: the truth isn't what's important, the story is. I realized that I looked outlandish so outlandish things were expected. I changed my name to sound outlandish, and began to pretend to have an outlandish profession: a spice merchant, a diplomat, an archaeologist, a bounty hunter... the list went on. And so did my names. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't, but I usually managed to weasel my way out of going to jail. Until one day I didn't.

I was posing as a passing cleric of Eldath, to try to claim exemption from taxes, and using an ornate hat and face paint to mask my appearance. Then the guards sent to the local temple to ask if I was expected and I was outed and arrested. I then learned that the punishment for impersonating a cleric was death... whoops! That night, I had a dream. A black mask lay at my feet, and as I looked at it I could see my face in its polished surface, but my face kept changing into the faces of other people. A voice came from the mask, as I held it, "So you wanna be a Cleric? Let's have some fun," it said. "Who are you?" I asked. "Mask, Lord of Tricks." I put the mask on, and when I woke up, I was out of the cell, and out of the city. And the mask was on a chain around my neck. I have been a devotee of Mask ever since. After a string of bad luck, I found myself rather short of coin and food. I was in the Waterdeep area at the time and decided to try passing myself a as Cleric of Chauntea at Goldenfields for a night or two until I could swipe enough gold and food to last me for a few days, but on my way there I learned that the fields crops had been failing and there was little food to be had, and discovered I was lucky to have not been accosted by bandits on the way. Now I find myself stuck in the Dessarin Valley with no food, little money, and no good way of getting anywhere else. If these keeps up, I may have to turn to... honest labor... I hear someone is hiring people to investigate the goings on around the valley. Maybe I could give that a crack?

RP Sample: Option #2

After a good night gambling, 'Ciever finds himself with a nice helping of cash. "Maybe my luck has turned around!" he thinks to himself. His first thought was for his shoes. He hadn't had a new pair in over a year and these were held together with straps of leather tied around them to keep the soles on. "First thing in the morning, I'm finding a cobbler," he declares under his breath. Of course, just finding a cobbler wouldn't be as much fun as conning a cobbler. At least for a discount... He lay awake half the night pondering his scheme.

In the morning, he had his idea formulated, and he makes his way to a nice looking, but not too nice-looking, cobbler's establishment. Just before rounding the corner he grabs the black mask that hangs around his neck, under his shirt. It's pliable, made of a soft, leather substance, but not leather. He puts it on, mutters a short prayer to Mask, and casts Disguise Self. Instantly he changes appearance to a well-dressed human with ink-stained fingers, and a large, fluffy purple beret with an ornate peacock feather sticking out the top. His trousers become immaculate with pantaloons that puff out at the ends, and his shirt becomes a deep purple blouse, with billowy sleeves and a dark grey vest. His horns vanish, his skin becomes a dapper, mild tan, and he gains a demure mustache. He takes out his journal, a list of insights from his meditations on Mask, and an ink pen. And he heads into the cobbler's store.

He walks around, looking at the displays and making a show of examining the wares. When the cobbler approaches him, he says, in a serious yet jovial voice, with a hint of Amnian accent, "Goodman Cobbler, allow me to introduce myself! I am Filnius Weatherweight, clothing and accessory aficionado. I am travelling the coast from Amn to Neverwinter, sampling the fashions and craftsmanship of the many towns I pass, and compiling a definitive guide to all clothing and related establishments. Your fine shop here caught my eye as a potential diamond in the rough, and I can see that your craftsmanship is something you pride yourself in. But, and I take pride in this point, I never praise what I have not tried firsthand. If it would not be an imposition upon your undoubtedly busy schedule, I have an offer to make. Allow me to sample a pair of shoes for a bit. Something that looks nice but is fit for long travel, something for the Gentleman Adventurer type. I will of course compensate you financially, but my funding is limited, so I propose that if the boots are satisfactory, I will purchase them from you at wholesale cost and give you a most favorable write-up in my upcoming book. I am well read in Amnian circles and by many of the more discriminating fellows of Waterdeep. Undoubtedly your business will soar with my good word. What say you, Goodman?"

Last edited by Jab Burrwalky; 08-14-2019 at 10:31 AM.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:59 PM
Anointed

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4260
Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk
<<< Complete >>>

Application
right-aligned image
Sara of the Guard, Bastard of House Argate, and soon to be Champion of Dessarin Vale!

• Name: Sara Argate, Yes, I was influenced here by The Game of Thrones Bastard of House Argate (Emblem: A red starburst)
  • Race: Variant Human
  • Class: Warlord (Noble) Level 2
  • Alignment: Lawful Neutral

• Background: Noble
  • Personality Trait: Despite my noble birth, I do not place myself above other folk. We all have the same blood.
  • Ideal: Responsibility. It is my duty to respect the authority of those above me, just as those below me must respect mine. (Lawful)
  • Bond: I will face any challenge to win the approval of my family.
  • Flaw: I too often hear veiled insults and threats in every word addressed to me, and I’m quick to anger.

• Backstory:
    As happens from time to time amongst the nobles, a bastard was born to House Argate. Now most female bastards are not recognized as such, but Sara was. To this day, she does not know why her father and mother did not marry until after she was Decided to leave it a mystery. Maybe a Prophecy needing Noble blood?born, and no one is willing to tell her. What is known, is that three years after Richard Argate's wife Astel passed away giving birth to his son, he fell in love with his wife's sister Ara and nearly a year later Sara was born. Exactly three months after her birth, Ara and Richard became man and wife. And while born of Noble parentage Sara was born out of wedlock and declared a Bastard of family Argate.

Being a Noble Bastard was not the best way to grow up. There are worse way's to grow up for sure, but being reminded that you are a Bastard every day several times a day tends to wear down one's spirit. The only ones who showed Sara any affection were her mother and father. And her two younger sisters, Anna and Richelle. Her older half brother Richard the Second, however, absolutely despised Sara. If anything were to happen to her father, Sara knew that she would not be long in following him. Or at the very least, losing the Argate name and all that it entails. Sara knew this at an early age and made plans for a life on her own. Not seeing a future in following the traditional arts for women, Sara looked farther afield. There is one good thing about being a Noble Bastard. Few commoners can tell you no. And so, at age ten when she ordered the Sargent of the guard to train her to fight, he did. Of course, he mentioned this to her father afterward, but Richard Argate encouraged her endeavor and instructed the Sargent to train her as best as he knows how. "After all, no nobleman will want a Bastard for a wife, so it does not matter that my first born daughter will be less than the gentlest of flowers."

For years Sara trained in swordplay, tactics, and especially, leadership. She even led a contingent of guards to secure a crossroads from a group of brigands at the behest of her father. It was her first command, and she performed well during the battle, or so she was told. Sara knew that because of her nobility, Bastard or not, no common soldier would naysay her. She chose to see it as a success; after all, no one died under her command. While she was not officially part of the castle guard, Sara took up the responsibility of aiding the Sargent of the Guard in his day to day affairs.

Then, a month after her twentieth birthday, it happened. The King and Queen journeyed to a neighboring kingdom to see about an arranged marriage for Anna who had just come of age. And they were leaving Sara behind...with her half brother in command of the Village? Town? City? Castle?keep and by extension, command of her. Sara patiently waited for Richard the Second to kick her out, imprison her, or order her execution. For two weeks, he didn't do any of those things. While she thought about packing up and leaving on her own, Honor would not allow her to do so. Sara was an Argate, and she would not dishonor her family name. So when the summon's to the throne room came, Sara cleaned herself up and strapped on her armor and sword before heading to see her half brother with head held high.

Once in front of the prince she was almost disappointed when her brother merely handed her a scroll with the king's seal and said, "We have been asked for aid. Do not embrace house Argate." And with that, she was dismissed, and he went on about other business. Opening the scroll once she reached her room, Sara found out her orders were to go into Desserin Valley and find out what is causing the strange goings-on within the valley. Once she has ascertained the cause, she was to do everything within her power to rectify the situation. Sara could not help but grin widely at the orders. It was subtle, but Sara was confident her brother did not expect her to return from this mission. Still, she grinned. In the orders she was named only as 'Sara of the Guard' so she could not use her family name to influence the mission. And still, she grinned. She grinned because Sara Argate had personally asked her father to send her with a squad of the Guard to investigate these rumors and he had said no. Sara was sure her half brother felt he has sent her on a suicide mission and she will not have either her family name or soldiers of the Guard to back her up. But still, she grinned because Sara will finally be going on the adventure that she had wished to for nearly a month. "I'll have to thank you when I return brother." With an almost manic grin, Sara of the Guard packed for the adventure of a lifetime.

• RP Sample: I'm particularly proud of this post in Outplay. And here is one with a bit more Nym just had her shadow maul a corpse for the fun of it and Angus reacted badly. This is his rebuttleRP involved.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sara.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	81267  

"Play HAVOC! And Let Lose the Dogs of WAR!"

DMing: An Untimely EncounterPosting Status: Normal

Last edited by Silk; 08-12-2019 at 09:32 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:50 AM
Anointed

Tools
User Statistics
Are you planning on stat's being 27 point buy? And HP?

Also, I have decided to go with Warlord(Noble)

Edit: Yesh, buying a horse is expensive! Thanks for the extra 100gp Added a Character Sheet.

Last edited by Silk; 08-12-2019 at 01:37 AM.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:17 AM
Oregonian Wyvern

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3744
Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith
ApplicationName: Gharn Fallowfen
right-aligned image

Race: Variant Human
Class: Eventually BattlemasterFighter
Background: Origin: Tribal MarauderOutlander
Trait: I watch over my friends as if they were a litter of newborn pups.
Bond: I will bring terrible wrath down on the evildoers who destroyed my homeland.
Ideal: Honor. If I dishonor myself, I dishonor my whole clan. (Lawful)
Flaw: I am slow to trust members of other races, tribes, and societies.
Backstory: Gharn Fallowfen grew up in an isolated tribe in Icewind Dale. Named for the harsh lands they survived in, the Rime Reapers' were a stout people, resembling tall dwarves nearly as much as the short humans they truly were. Their nomadic practices allowed them to eke out a living in the harsh environment where few others could sustain themselves. Between following the migrating herds, trading with the dwarves, and navigating the Sea of Moving Ice they clawed out an existence where few enemies would infringe on them. In their harsh, but peaceful, world they lived harmoniously without worries.

Then came the raids. Slowly at first, others who had been driven off their lands began to show up. The original infiltrators would either strike and run, simply skimming a few supplies from Gharn's people. Else, they'd squat on the lands the Reapers had left to follow a herd or seasonal fruits. Either way, the Reapers had nothing to spare and couldn't tolerate others on their lands.

In response, Gharn's leaders drew together groups of young men to chase off these outsiders. While it came easily Gharn, not many of his tribe had an appetite for warfare. The captains of the various squads developed tactics of highly visible patrols in hopes of deterring interlopers rather than open combat. They abandoned their furs and leather for the iron armour of the dwarves to the south. Relying on intimidation, they made a great show of trudging in unison and matching the pace of the retreat.

For a while, it worked. Keeping the less experienced newcomers on the run gave them little chance to harvest anything or set up an ambush. The numbers of outsiders on the land of the Reapers diminished, and the leadership felt secure. Gharn and his fellows were praised as heros every time they returned.

But, it turned out, their enemies were studying their tactics. As Gharn and his squad returned to camp one evening, they found burnt husks of yurts and signs of massacre everywhere. Their counterraid had been countered itself and their tribe was gone.

The squad, driven by desolate grief argued amongst itself. Their leader was stabbed in the back, and those who backed him, Gharn included, were driven off.

Alone for the first time in his life, Gharn trod his way south through the mounting winds of autumn. He knew their survival had always depended on the group, and he would not make it alone.

Entering the abandoned town of Hundelstone, Gharn found other squatters taking up the more obvious structures. They beat him savagely and rent his armour. His role now reversed, he was cast out into the cold to die of an empty stomach.

Stumbling back into the wilderness, Gharn found an old mine shaft to huddle in and lick his wounds. As he trudged his way into a corridor out of the wind of the main shaft, his foot fell through the floor and he found himself plummeting through darkness into a vast chamber.

Along the walls he followed the fascinating panels of life-sized scenes of heroic feats. Some of the scenes used real armour or weapons to adorn a relief of a battle. All of them were masterful and amazing, featuring the same figure over and over. It wasn't until he had made nearly the entire loop that he found he had started somewhere in the middle of this man's life.

Suddenly he found himself at a doorway, and as he crossed it, he was at the first panel. Here, the heroic figure was longer and leaner than in his later years. The armour was serviceable, but nothing like the exquisite plate and splint of the later panels. A simple chain shirt but artfully made, it caused the torch light to glisten in a way Gharn couldn't resist.

Climbing up to retrieve it, Gharn placed his hand on a heavy maul that tumbled down. Hefting it to replace it, he found it rested perfectly in his hands. With a guilty glance around, he decided it had given itself to him. Finishing his ascent and retrieving the chainmail, Gharn made his way back down.

Stopping at the sarcophagus in the centre of the chamber to say a word of thanks, he exited through the doorway. As he did, there was a crackle of electricity on either side of him. He turned to see two floating hammers, threatening to crush and cook him. They paused, seeming to somehow register the armour and they held their place. Regathering himself, Gharn fled and continued his journey.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gharn.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	81332  

Last edited by Numen Wraith; 08-17-2019 at 03:45 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:23 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
Therru
Expressing interest, this sounds like a lot of fun! Just to clarify, are you accepting subclasses from the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide and/or Xanathar's Guide To Everything? I like to consider at least 5 wildly implausibly builds before making any new character, all the extra options would really help.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:38 AM

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk View Post
Are you planning on stat's being 27 point buy? And HP?
Crap, knew I forgot something. Added that info to first post.

Also WOW this got attention faster than I expected!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therru
Expressing interest, this sounds like a lot of fun! Just to clarify, are you accepting subclasses from the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide and/or Xanathar's Guide To Everything? I like to consider at least 5 wildly implausibly builds before making any new character, all the extra options would really help.
Yes. SCAG and Xanathar's are allowed.

Last edited by Tyeal; 08-12-2019 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:10 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1648
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer
Oh, this seems interesting! I was just thinking that of all the classes, I actually never played a ranger, and suddenly a campaign about the corruption of nature shows up. Must be a sign!

I'm currently still working on my application, but thought I'd post what I had come up with so far. Application's done!

Aramil Selevarun
right-aligned image

Name: Aramil Selevarun
Race: Elf (Wood Elf)
Class: Ranger
Background: Noble
Bond: My house’s alliance with another noble family must be sustained at all costs.
Ideal: Noble Obligation. It is my duty to protect and care for the people beneath me. (Good)
Flaw: By my words and actions, I often bring shame to my family.

Backstory
Aramil is the son of Eiravel and Ilanis Selevarun, the wardens of Halwood, who themselves are members of queen Vadania's court in southern Esteria. Despite being born into a position of power, Aramil has shown little talent- and less enthusiasm- for what he considers tiresome politics. Instead he prefers to roam the borders of Halwood, visiting the villages which owe fealty to his family, and assists them as best he can with both advise and action. Unfortunately, the heir to Halwood's lack of insight in politics means his assistance usually results in difficult situations for his parents. One particularly embarrasing moment came when the wardens of Halwood had promised one of their vassals the honour of hunting a particular white stag, in return for their support at court. When the vassal came to claim his prize, however, they found the stag- and two of its herd- had already been killed by Aramil, who hadn't realized the animal's importance and only sought to help feed a remote village. Suffice to say, the vassal was not amused, and relations have been strained ever since. Their heir, the brutal warrior Thamior Goltorah, holds a particularly long-lived grudge against Aramil. Fortunately, while Aramil remains in Halwood, no vassal would dare raise a finger at him, but this has only served to stoke Thamior's frustration with the young warden prince...

The nobles of Esteria put great value on the druidic arts, and Aramil's parents hoped that, if their eccentric son refused to learn the ways of political intrigue, then at least he would earn prestige for their house by studying with a friendly druid's circle. Sadly, Aramil lacked the patience to learn more than the basic skills. Despite this, Aramil befriended a fellow student, Caeldrim Cithreth, the warden prince of Aentwyld. Since Halwood and Aentwyld are neighbouring regions in Estaria, a friendship between its heirs was considered quite favourable by both parties. This, the warden prince's weary parents considered at least a partial success. Ultimately, however, their friendship would lead to Aramil's greatest misstep.

In the north, in the region known as the Dessarrin Valley, nature itself seemed to rebel. Animals grew vicious, crops perished, and the freak weather affecting the region seemed to be spreading. Concerned, the druids sent Caeldrim- who had recently finished his training- to investigate, hoping the youth would learn from the experience. The druids had underestimated whatever was affecting in Dessarrin Valley, however- contact was lost, and many feared the worst. Worried Caeldrim might be in trouble, Aramil decided to leave Halwood in search of his friend. In doing so, he caused a scandal in the elven court- a warden's place was with his family, protecting his land. Abandoning his responsibilities in Halwood was unthinkable, yet Aramil left nonetheless, leaving his parents to deal with the consequences...

Last edited by DemonSlayer; 08-14-2019 at 03:23 AM. Reason: added character sheet
Old 08-12-2019, 07:19 PM
Anointed

Tools
User Statistics
I'm still newish to 5e, and I can't remember what happens when you get Proficiency in the same skill twice. I got Proficiency in the Persuasion skill from Sara's Noble Background and again from her Warlord(Noble) class's ability Destined Leader.
  1. Is the 2nd proficiency in Persuasion ignored?
  2. Is it treated as Expertise, and Sara's Proficiency bonus is added twice for that skill?
  3. Or do I pick another skill entirely?
Thanks

Edit: Other than this, My application for Sara Argate is Complete!

Last edited by Silk; 08-12-2019 at 07:21 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:45 PM
Crushestro, Inc.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7054
Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok
Hey there, Tyeal. I’m super interested in applying to this game. I’ve got an idea for a sorcerer focused on a light/color theme. But I wanted to check a few things.

How familiar do we need to be with the forgotten realms? I’ve read some Salvatore and played the Baldur’s Gate games. But I’m far from expert.

You say you’re interested in telling a story with flawed characters. How flawed/ what kind of flaws are you thinking? I’m just wondering how grim-dark you want to go so I can craft my application appropriately.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:50 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk View Post
I'm still newish to 5e, and I can't remember what happens when you get Proficiency in the same skill twice. I got Proficiency in the Persuasion skill from Sara's Noble Background and again from her Warlord(Noble) class's ability Destined Leader.
  1. Is the 2nd proficiency in Persuasion ignored?
  2. Is it treated as Expertise, and Sara's Proficiency bonus is added twice for that skill?
  3. Or do I pick another skill entirely?
Thanks
1. Yes. Your Background grants you the skills listed ALONG WITH the skills granted by your class.
2. No. You are simply granted access to those skills. It will specify when you are being granted Expertise in a given skill. 5e is pretty clear about what you do and don't get. ...Most of the time.
3. Yes. You can pick another skill entirely. In this case there's some highly unusual overlap but in total you should be Proficient in five skills six skills

Last edited by Tyeal; 08-12-2019 at 10:28 PM.