Notices

Old Feb 20th, 2012, 04:44 PM
ambulatory dresser

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 531
Diapadion Diapadion Diapadion Diapadion Diapadion Diapadion
Skies of Endless Night

Applications are open, again. The information in the first post has been revised for newcomers.

Game NameSkies of Endless Night
Game SystemPathfinder
ThemeExotic Spacefaring campaign
FlavourSpelljammer, converted from 2e. Emphasis on thoughtful, creative roleplaying
Plot SummaryOut beyond the warm, life-giving bubble of the world is the void, and most people don't bother to think beyond those limits. But out in the void are other worlds like yours, and at the furthest reaches, your universe is bounded by the perfectly rounded walls of deeply opaque crystal. The crystal forms a perfect sphere, and this "shell" bobs up and down in iridescent rivers, rainbow oceans of phlogiston. Your world is just a rock floating in empty space, all floating in a magical sea of power which no one understands... or so the one-eyed gnome in the tavern told you.

You'd never have set foot on the sticky, ale stained floor of the pub and bumped into this gnome bloke if the neogi hadn't stuck your world like a unexpected punch to the gut. The whole planet, but most notably, this continent, is still reeling from the unusually coordinated neogi assault, and in all honesty, the place might never be the same again.

But who are you, anyway? A groundling, forced to flee from your home planet, running from something you just want to forget about, or chasing after vengeance? Are you a spacer, plans unexpectedly disrupted by the neogi attack, now just trying your best to get off this rock and back to what you took off space for in the first place? Or, are you something else entirely?

This game is set in the Spelljammer multiverse of 2nd Edition. The setting originally existed to tie together existing D&D settings, but developed lots of original material, which will provide the basis for this game. Some original Spelljammer specific 2e rules could be directly used for this game, but many don't work with Pathfinder, and others just don't make sense. So I've brewed some modified rules to make up for this. Here's the important guidelines:
http://bit.ly/tMOokU
Start with SJguide.pdf - you can skim it for right now, some of the info will be redundant, but it will give you a good idea of the extent to which modified rules will be used.

I don't run campaigns on rails; I've always seen players have more fun when they can actually make their own decisions and see those decisions impact the gameworld around them. That said, this is a campaign, and there will be overarching stories and drama, so its not going to be a total free-for-all. The campaign will be what you make of it.

The campaign is intended to be approximately a half/half mix of roleplaying and combat/skills dice rolling, but if I had to pick one of the two to give precedence, it would be roleplaying. I'm not a fan of min-maxing, so your character's abilities ought to reflect their personalities and decisions.

Spelljammer was basically invented to allow you to do whatever you wanted, so in a lot of ways, this campaign will be what the party makes of it. Despite the setting's emphasis on space travel, I'm not going to bore you with the minutiae of tedious things like keeping track of your food. I'd rather put the emphasis on the outlandish and colorful characters, organizations, and cultures of the multiverse. Your characters will end up going some pretty crazy places and having a lot of tough, gritty experiences. Life WILL get out of hand for the PCs.

I think that when playing PBP, you have to take advantage of the particular medium as much as possible since RP'ing online is by-and-large more challenging to pull off. As a result, I try to make PBP RP'ing more of a literary experience. Most of this burden falls on me, rather than the players, though I do ask that players follow standard rules of grammar and spelling. If you like this approach, this game is for you.

I'm looking for 2-3 players who are interested in joining the current party of 5. This is for the long haul, but I realize that life gets in the way of things at times.

Game forum is here: http://www.rpgcrossing.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10198

On Spelljammer:
Spelljammer was a 2nd edition meta-setting a bit like Planescape, and the first which centered around fantasy adventures in space. The setting was vividly colorful and exciting, sharing much in common with early steampunk precursors, and drawing further inspiration from Victorian romances and the Age of Sail. Skies of Endless Night will revisit the Spelljammer 'verse with some shifts in approach, most notable of which will be the adoption of the Pathfinder d20 system. The rules will com which adds a wealth of options, flexibility, and much needed balance. The original flavor of SJ will be preserved, for the most part, but this is more of an interpretation of the original than a conversion, so I'm going to expand on the stronger aspects.

Selection is going to be based largely on party balance, but if you have a killer character idea, I'm not going to turn a blind eye.

Post Rate: 1 every other day (or rather, 3-4 times/week)
ECL: Level 2
Attributes: Point buy for attributes - High Fantasy level
Gold: Standard Pathfinder allotments
Sources: Core Rulebook, Advanced Player's Guide, Bestiary (I-III)
Additional Material: Homebrewed and playtested Spelljammer specific rules are here:
http://bit.ly/tMOokU
And I'll use some alternative rules from Unearthed Arcana, as well, though these ones I am using have little to do with character conceptualization. Again, the details are in the PDF guide.
I'm open to players using other materials, you have to discuss it with me first, which will be easy with races, less so with things like feats.

Application InformationName, Gender, Age
Race: Any (see the supplementary rules links for a few SJ races which are also okay)
Class: Any from the Core Rulebook or Advanced Player's Guide
Alignment: Non-evil
Personality: How does your character think and act? What do they believe in?
Background: Spacer or groundling, plus a few details you think are important. You don't need to worry about this too much now. I will work out the important parts with you once selection is over. Your distant past can be pretty much whatever you want, the recent happenings in your life need to have lead you to the party's current location...
RP Sample: Just a short paragraph or link to other character(s) you play.

Let me know in the thread if you're interested, but either send me your character sketch via PM or hide it behind a Secret tag for player confidentiality. No need for dice rolling. Also, I'm looking for someone to play an Oracle, so let me know if you want to take up those reins.

DeadlineResubmissions close: May 16
(but I reserve the right to close sooner if I'm very satisfied with the characters presented)

Whew, I think that is all. Have at thee! And of course ask away if you want clarification.

Last edited by Diapadion; May 2nd, 2013 at 01:26 PM. Reason: added information
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 05:29 PM
Black Swordsman

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16
DMDracoMoondragon
This definitely sounds interesting. I'm not familiar with Spelljammer, but I wouldn't mind seein' what it's about. Definitely consider me interested. I'll put in an application when I get more information for a character. Will there be firearms in this one, where it's a Pathfinder game?
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Space dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2062
Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer
*SQUEE!*

Erm, I mean, posting interest. *cough*

Old Feb 20th, 2012, 07:00 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2529
HarpyBane HarpyBane HarpyBane HarpyBane HarpyBane HarpyBane HarpyBane HarpyBane HarpyBane HarpyBane HarpyBane
Very interested at the moment.

I have to admit I'm not to familiar with spelljammer, will my lack of familiarity be an issue?

Also, while I'm more familiar with 3.5, I do like pathfinder. Lately I've been using a pathfinder website since books are overpriced and hard to come by. I know there are base classes and core classes, does it matter which I lean towards?
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 07:08 PM
ambulatory dresser

Tools
User Statistics
Yup, Early Firearms (from UC) are available. If you want to brainstorm over any character ideas, go right ahead.

Lack of familiarity will not be an issue at all. If you want to make it a little easier on yourself, choose to play a groundling, then you'll learn about the setting at the same pace as your character. Honestly I think people unfamiliar will be in better shape because of some of the changes I'm making to the rules and feel of the setting.

It doesn't matter whether or not you choose a "base" or "core" class - the latter is from the Core Rulebook and the former is form the Advanced Player's Guide, and for both of those books, anything goes.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/ is the sanctioned SRD site for all their OGL material and everything I use is from there or homebrewed, so books are no worry.
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 07:10 PM
Timelost Gunslinger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1727
DeepFriedWyzard DeepFriedWyzard DeepFriedWyzard DeepFriedWyzard DeepFriedWyzard DeepFriedWyzard DeepFriedWyzard DeepFriedWyzard DeepFriedWyzard DeepFriedWyzard DeepFriedWyzard
YES YES A THOUSANDS TIMES YES.

*cough* ahem... I mean, this sounds interesting. Actually, I have been writing a game in this same theme. I am definitely going to have an application for this.

Last edited by DeepFriedWyzard; Feb 22nd, 2012 at 03:25 AM.
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 07:54 PM
she/they
Event Judge  

Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8955
Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw
I think you're going to discover that this game will attract a lot of interest - first, because it's Pathfinder, and the DMs Seeking forum seems to be going through a bit of a dry-spell in that arena; and second, because it's Spelljammer, which means it's Pathfinder, set in Space.

I'm getting some ideas for a character already. Do I want to be a sharpshooting cadet who's hot with a pistol, a seasoned mariner who knows only the company of the phlogiston and the helm, or a jaded spellslinger whose time in the black has left him without tact or sympathy for grounders?

Maybe a combination of all three. Things are beginning to gel... How do you feel about the Gunslinger class (Ultimate Combat)? I know you're allowing firearms, but you might feel differently about the class, and I want to make sure that whatever I come up with, it meshes with what you're envisioning.
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 08:08 PM
hold onto that spark

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 35560
Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched
Salivating....

EDIT: There's plenty of time to contemplate, but starting point for now is 'Dreamspun' variant of sorcerer, probably human groundling.
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 08:28 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 447
Norrin Radd Norrin Radd Norrin Radd Norrin Radd Norrin Radd
Name: Stribog

Race: Human

Class: Barbarian

Alignment: Chaotic Good

Role Play Example: In progress will update tomorrow.
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 08:30 PM
Robo-Dragon of Yore

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1355
Shaman Of Ohio Shaman Of Ohio Shaman Of Ohio Shaman Of Ohio Shaman Of Ohio Shaman Of Ohio Shaman Of Ohio Shaman Of Ohio Shaman Of Ohio Shaman Of Ohio
Pathfinder....

Space...

Hadozee as a race option...

Im in!
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 09:16 PM
Black Swordsman

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16
DMDracoMoondragon
Hmm... Could you tell me more about the Dracons? I didn't happen to see their racial traits in your documents, and I might want to play one that's a basic fighter.
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 12:48 AM
ambulatory dresser

Tools
User Statistics
Thanks for all the interest, everyone. This is very encouraging.

Yeahhh... the Gunslinger. Technically, it is a "base" class, even if its from UC not APC, and it does match up well with firearms, but its new and I've had a chance to see it balanced and put into practice, so the honest truth is that I've avoided thinking about it.
But, in the spirit of variety and adventure, I'll say go for it.

For the Hadozee, I will give more complete PF adaptations later, when it becomes relevant, but here are the basic modifiers:
+2 DEX, +2 CON, -2 CHA
I need to go back to Stormwrack (on my other compy) to get more details if you want it.

Dracon are trickier. The modifiers would probably be +2 STR, and -2 CON, with other characteristics filling out the profile. Dracon are a good species for PC's to play in theory because of their culture and behavior, but they can be ungainly. You might need to start as a younger Dracon for the balancing to work properly. In short, if you really want to play a Dracon, that's totally possible, but we'd need to talk about how to do it.
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 01:14 AM
Robo-Dragon of Yore

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1355
Shaman Of Ohio Shaman Of Ohio Shaman Of Ohio Shaman Of Ohio Shaman Of Ohio Shaman Of Ohio Shaman Of Ohio Shaman Of Ohio Shaman Of Ohio Shaman Of Ohio
In Stormwrack, they also get gliding powers and a bonus to Balance and Climbing, just FYI.

Nothing quite like a screaming Mandrill with a pair of punching daggers flying down onto you, picking up sneak attacks because all the NPCs are flatfooted....

Hence why my friends dont let me play Hadozee anymore

I might choose something else instead though......maybe.....
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 06:40 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 742
Allu Allu Allu Allu Allu Allu Allu

Last edited by Allu; Feb 23rd, 2012 at 06:43 AM. Reason: T
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 07:27 AM
Space dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2062
Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer

Last edited by Kittenmancer; Feb 22nd, 2012 at 03:48 AM.