Game Thread Chapter Seven: A Red Moon Rises - Page 9 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > Ghosts of Saltmarsh
twitter facebook facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #121  
Old Mar 8th, 2023, 09:09 PM
lostcheerio's Avatar
lostcheerio lostcheerio is offline
Swords, not words!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 25th, 2023
RPXP: 40093
lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio
Posts: 9,710
Bingle Curiosa Wildwander, Forest Gnome Wizard/Warlock
right-aligned image
"Thank you so kindly, and you have hair like, uhh... blueberries," she responds politely, patting vaguely at her own scraggly damn hair. "Yes, I am Bingle Wildwander Curiosa and this is Banx Tosselbonk Curiosa. Yes, his magic is super, um, neat. And we are both wizards of the Undine Mouth. And to whom do I have the pleasure of speaking?" she asks.

She'll nod and bow with her hands behind her back like is normal and right, even if re-dead zombie mermaids are sloshing around her ankles in drifts. "You and your wards--" she makes a guess, based on the memraid's power and pants and the other memraids' flopping and querulous voices "--are welcome in town, where I hope you can find safety, but we should check with our friends Falco and Fela before we swim right up the harbor."

She looks at Banx nervously, up at the moon, then back at their new friend-- "We own a... restaurant..." --and then shrugging-- "We own a tavern with a secret dock and fighting pit and art gallery and gambling den. We could take you there, by way of the river, and the mermaids could hide under the dock while we figure out what's what."

It's a hard slog up the riverbank, and everyone is faster and smoother than she and Banx are -- Harlan flies, mermaids swim, gnomes toil. She tries to keep an eye, while slushing her boots in and out of the reeds and jumping rocks, trying to keep her cloak from getting slurped off in the mud, especially gazing in the moonlight down the other arm of the river that winds around the island to the north. Any activity there? At the Ten Fang Fury, Banx will guide the mermaids to under the dock. Banx will look around again for the Kua Toa, and if any are around he'll make sure there are proper introductions, as best he can in common, but Bingle's main focus will be getting info from Harlan who's flying out over the harbor, looking to see what's going on.


ۜ\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ
 


ۜ\(ಠ_ಠ)/ۜ
 
__________________
💮💮💮 "Who are you, reader, reading my poems an hundred years hence?" 💮💮💮
Is Rabindranath Tagore talking to you?
Come discuss the work of this Bengali polymath at the RPGX Book Club!

Last edited by lostcheerio; Mar 8th, 2023 at 09:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old Mar 8th, 2023, 10:08 PM
AnotherDragoon's Avatar
AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon is online now
A warm fuzzy goonie
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 25th, 2023
RPXP: 31880
AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon
Posts: 5,742
Dire Dread from th' dark depths
right-aligned image

Falco watched furiously as Skerrin disappeared o'er th' gunwale o' his ship. Well, alright, it ain't 'is ship jus' yet but it should be. Th' ol' bilge rat wonn't be goin' too far, at least, an' maybe they could toss th' spy statues when they take care o' th' traitor. Fela were alredy givin' chase when the mermaid thrashed up in terror.

He felt her terror an' understood it fully when something grabbed at 'is feets. It weren't no seagrass or curious lil fish what wrapped around 'is ankles, it were colder'n th' water an' sent a shiver right up 'is spine. Falco kicked free o' th' dead hands, spun, an' Disengage actionswam closer t' th' relative safety o' th' dock. He stopped t' pluck another glowin' arrow fron th' night sky an' 23 to hit for 11 radiant damagethrew it back 'nto th' water where th' dead thing lurked. "Get t' th' dock, he called t' th' mermaid, "we can protect ye from there. How many are dead like that?"

Felice had hoped t' end Skerrin here in th' harbor, but he somehow slipped up onto th' Wailing Maiden. It looked like th' paladin would be finishin' 'im off. Jus' as well, she thought, 'cause it looked like th' troubles weren't o'er jus' yet. Th' mermaid swam in like she were runnin' fer her life. Like hungry wolves were at her heels.

Then, somethin' tried t' pull Falco under. She felt th' ripples o' motion under th' surface an' saw him dip, briefly, deeper 'nto th' sea. She also saw th' look on 'is face as he kicked away. She didn't know th' Hin well but, from th' stories that quickly spread around town, she didn't think he scared easy. Felice Cunning Action to disengageswished her legs an' swiftly followed after, keepin' pace with 'im. She slotted a bolt an' 11 to hit for 9 damagesent it 'nto th' water after 'is glowin' one.

Mechanics
Drink Counter: 3/3
5 temporary hit points.
Advantage on Charisma ability and skill checks and saving throws.
Advantage on saving throws made against fear.
Resistance to Psychic Damage.

Disadvantage on Wisdom and Dexterity saving throws.
Disadvantage on Intelligence and Wisdom skill checks
Liquid Courage for 1 hour.

 

 

 

 


Felice's turn

 

__________________
Hey kids, do ya like Spelljamming? Join me and the other Astral Agents as jbear plots a course through Wildspace every other Thursday @ 7 pm EST streaming LIVE on YouTube.
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old Mar 9th, 2023, 05:40 AM
ptwiddle's Avatar
ptwiddle ptwiddle is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 25th, 2023
RPXP: 5196
ptwiddle ptwiddle ptwiddle ptwiddle ptwiddle ptwiddle ptwiddle ptwiddle ptwiddle ptwiddle ptwiddle
Posts: 662
Fela, fighter out of water
left-aligned image

Skerrin slinks up the rope before Fela can reach him, and she tries to follow, like morning follows night. But there's so much water as she tries to pull herself up, pouring out of her mail, slipping between her fingers and the rope, her feet and the hull of the ship. Her muscles protest under the extra work of trying to rise, and she has to pause, breath, until the colander of her chain mail has let the water drain away from the noodle of her body, and a few deep breaths have given her the air she needs to climb the rest of the way up.

While she's hanging out to dry she sees Falco and Felice swim away from ... the zombie mermaid? .... and fire at it. They're doing ok. And takes in that she ship she's climbing is The Wailing Maiden, none other than the one they were planning to take this very night. Might as well get an early tour. She wastes breath to shout back at Innovation. "Well I can't let him get away, can I?"

When she finally plops onto the deck herself Skerrin has vanished, and she calls out, interrupted by urgent gasps for more air, more air to her muscles, trying to scan the deck but too busy wiping the saltwater from her face. "Creativity! Skerrin is a dangerous traitor! Lock yourself in, set your automatons on him! He'll kill you!"

Actions, etc.
Dice here

Rolled an 8 on the free perception check to see what's on the ship.


Movement: Try to climb rope, failed athletics check

Action: Dash to try to climb rope again, succeeded this time.

Reaction:
Bonus action:

 
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old Mar 9th, 2023, 05:28 PM
Fillyjonk's Avatar
Fillyjonk Fillyjonk is offline
#Bard4Life
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 25th, 2023
RPXP: 35307
Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk
Posts: 11,239
Ten Fang Fury
left-aligned image
Gnomes bow to a be-pants'ed mermaid, a siren offers compliments to Hin.

Welllll---Close enough? There is a common enemy here, so, close enough for now.

Bingle, Oceane and Cascade offer to tow you and Banx. All you have to do is go all the way in the river where there may be zmobies and get thoroughly wet and let a girl with a tail wearing mostly just beads drag you. Banx prefers to slog through the reeds on his feet, thank you. Up the river you all go, fast as you can. The island is dark and quiet, no sounds of fights or even movement as far as you can see, but twon is very very loud as you get close. As you approach Ten Fang Fury, before you can get them to the dock, the mermaids come writhing out onto the land again, saying, No no, Dead ones ahead -- no no no! They want to creep near Ten Fang and hide in the bushes, clinging to each other, crying. But ye gods they are so slow on land, dragging themselves.

Across the inlet and north, on the docks, you see a Starry circle of light that has to be Falco in his bright archer combat form, illuminating the space between a pleasure barge and the Wailing Maiden. Halran heads that way and says that Falco is in a fight! North of you, on the green where many commoners were picnicking and listening to your great story, you hear screaming and fussing, too, and more mermaids are shrieking from the dark waters, past where you can see.

Tempest, you have never been to a town. It is land, but so much. Maybe in your head, Saltmarsh was a blop four times the size of the biggest island in your mother's territory, but no. The "town" stretches as far as you can see toward more town. Here are "buildings" now, like square ships plopped dead still on still dead dirt. There are sticks of wood coming out into the waters with ships roped to them.

Town is so big and real, and so much screaming happens, and a human voice, female, is booming, magic-level loud over the waters and the yellings, saying everyone must calmly go home. You also hear the mermaids under the water wailing and dying in Aquaan.

It is hard to take it all in.

OOCOkay so, you cant; get the mermaids under the dock and introduced this round---there is too much fighting in the water.

You are in the red star. The purple stars are all places you hear terrible mruder noises. The yellow circle is a star-light BINGLE will recognize as falco-generated. You are still not in action economy, but again, act as if you have just a few minutes. You could, for example, go up to the green (number 2) where the commoners are shrieking, or go into the Fury and get the boat so next round you can go across the harbor to where you see Falco's light (Tempest has water vehicle proficiency, as does HENCHY). You could roll a persuasion to try to get towed to Falco by these scared mermaids, or Tempest can tow one gnome with no loss of speed, and Banx can go another way. You can split up and Tempest can go to the mermaids fighting UNDER the water, or anything else I have not thought about.


By the Wailing Maiden
right-aligned image
Falco you and your Zhent ally slither away from the clutching hands, and by your own light, you can see the zombie down in the depths. She is a little hurt already from the thrashing tail of her upset sister.

You both hit with your archery, and the lamplit eyes fade to black. She stills and begins to bob helplessly up toward the surface, unanimated. You can see there are half a dozen more swirling and fighting, alive against dead, down near the bottom, but it is hard to tell which is what as they are kicking up silt and at the edge of your light. You splash over to the pier, telling the mermaid who has surfaced to come, too. She swims with you, hollering,OUT ME! OUT ME OUT!

Innovation pauses and curses so fluently even Captain Kiernan would have been impressed. The mermaid dashes to her, and Inno grasps her wrists and helps haul her out onto the dock where she sits shivering and crying. Innovation calls, Falco! Felice! Do you need help ---or can I--- she is holding a potion and she gestures with it at the Wailing Maiden.

Fela, you haul yourself aboard, feeling at least one little minnow squiggling his way out of your armor and back into the sea with the gallons that drain away.

On deck, there is is a tall marble statue of a beautiful woman in a white draped dress that is bolted to the deck, acting as a counterweight to hold the anchor. SHe stares right at you with black stone eyes. Another white bust of a handsome male face hangs against the raised side of the deck.

You call out to Creativity, but this boat is dark. No party-goers, no chairs, no food, no booze. No Skerrin, either. Not in sight.

To your south, stairs lead down into more darkness. You hear muffled sounds of combat, but your ears are full of water, and you can't tell if it is coming from directly below you or down the stairs to the south.

OOC
HERE IS THE HARBOR MAP

HERE IS THE WAILING MAIDEN

Fela cannot see past the ring of light, and even this limited light is dim.

Innovation can use her action to pull up Fela or Falco, saving you the movement penalty for climbing. It will cost the other 15 feet to get up onto the dock, but no rolls are required. OR you can dive under. Going down ten feet will allow you to see which mermaids are undead and target them, but will effect the light on the Maiden as well. There are 3 undead down there; all are at half health (11 HP ea)


__________________
New here? Come play a NEW PLAYER SOLO GAME

Join RPGX Book Club

Last edited by Fillyjonk; Mar 9th, 2023 at 05:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old Mar 10th, 2023, 03:38 PM
ptwiddle's Avatar
ptwiddle ptwiddle is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 25th, 2023
RPXP: 5196
ptwiddle ptwiddle ptwiddle ptwiddle ptwiddle ptwiddle ptwiddle ptwiddle ptwiddle ptwiddle ptwiddle
Posts: 662
Fela, firestarter
left-aligned image

Nobody answers her call for help from down below, and neither Falco nor the full moon cast enough light for one used to Saliber -- she can barely make out what's at the other end of the ship, much less what's happening below decks. Exhausted and spent, she's tempted to just wait it out -- there's no way off a ship except off the deck, right? But the sound of fighting and lack of response have her nervous. She thought that Creativity was supposed to be the only person aboard the ship, apart from the moving statues, but her call hadn't been answered. "He wasn't far ahead of me -- must have gone down the closest one?" She's talking to herself, but looks up at the black eyes of the female statue like it would answer.

She scrambles through her bag for the lantern she bought, opening her tinderbox, relatively dry inside, struggling to avoid dripping on the oil -- it takes forever. "Saliber, you think you could teach me to make a light, sometime?" but eventually the lantern's lit and lifted and, unless the statue told her she should go down the staircase further away or the lantern light's reveals something shocking, Fela descends the closest staircase into the bowels of the ship.

"You're cornered Skerrin; give it up!"

Actions, etc.
Action: Take out and light lantern
Movement: Down into ship in the door closest to her, unless the statue tells her otherwise
Reaction:
Bonus action:
Status: Holding lantern in one hand, sword in the other

 
Reply With Quote
  #126  
Old Mar 10th, 2023, 10:54 PM
AnotherDragoon's Avatar
AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon is online now
A warm fuzzy goonie
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 25th, 2023
RPXP: 31880
AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon
Posts: 5,742
Dark dark waters
right-aligned image

There was more mermaids, both th' livin' kind an' otherwise, further down under th' surface. One were safe fer now but Falco couldn't turn 'is back on th' others when they was right there. He looked up at Innovation an' then t' Felice, "We got this," he nodded t' th' Wailin' Maiden, "help her if'n ye can but, don't go puttin' yerself in danger." He knew she already were doin' jus' that an' would likely continue t' do so.

Falco looked t' Felice one more time an' shrugged before takin' a deep breath an' divin' down below th' waves. Now he could clearly see three more not-quite-dead mermaids attackin' their sisters. He produced another arrow o' starlight an' Dirty 20 for 6 radiant daamagelaunched it down 'nto one o' th' undead. It kept up its assault so Falco held out 'is star charts an' channeled stellar magic through th' sea glass discs. "Casting Guiding Bolt: 17 to hit for 8 radiant damageLight can pierce th' deepest dark," blurbled out 'is mouth an' up t' th' surface in lil bubbles while a streak of starlight shot out an' granted th' once-mermaid true death.

Felice wanted t' take Innovation's hand an' get her feet on somethin' solid. Somewhere she could see all th' angles. But instead, she gave th' Hin a lil nod, sighed again, an' followed 'im underwater. Down near th' harbor's sandy bottom, she saw more undead mermaids. Wasin' no time, she loaded her hand crossbow an' Nat 1 womp wompfired it down 'nto th' swarm o' fightin'.

Mechanics
Drink Counter: 3/3
5 temporary hit points.
Advantage on Charisma ability and skill checks and saving throws.
Advantage on saving throws made against fear.
Resistance to Psychic Damage.

Disadvantage on Wisdom and Dexterity saving throws.
Disadvantage on Intelligence and Wisdom skill checks
Liquid Courage for 1 hour.

 

 

 

 


Felice's turn

 

__________________
Hey kids, do ya like Spelljamming? Join me and the other Astral Agents as jbear plots a course through Wildspace every other Thursday @ 7 pm EST streaming LIVE on YouTube.
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old Mar 11th, 2023, 12:13 AM
PlaidPeregrine's Avatar
PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine is online now
Story Harvester
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 25th, 2023
RPXP: 20717
PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine
Posts: 6,062
Tempest
left-aligned image

Tempest was quietly overwhelmed at how strange this new world was. It certainly was big and odd, without castles and gardens, and ladies in corsets prancing about being saucy and salt-tongued at their admirers as they gazed upon the night sky from their balconies. This was LOUD and HURT was everywhere with blood in the water. The scent of the air was not as fresh and pure as on the far-away island she lived on. Here people had smoke in chimneys, and oils burning in lanterns, and things cooked and people drank, and sweat, and it was not like the sweet scent of grass or mint as she expected.

"Stay and hide. Unless your tears heal your wounds, Oceane, keep your eyes open and alert." Tempest sternly said to the grounded Mermaids in the surface-ugly language of underwater-beautiful Aquan. When Bingle spoke, her attention was drawn to the green-haired one with an air of nobility about her. "I am Tempest, and am far from my territory. Do you need my name in Elven as well?" She tilted her head curiously at both Hin since Gnomes live in the forest. "Bingle Wildwander Curiosa and Banx Tosselbonk Curiosa, your territory is vast and grand. I have read about taverns with darts and drinks. You must be very strong Wizards of magic to protect it. I will not challenge you for your territory." The Siren said this in all seriousness with a feral glint in her strange eyes as she stood there on land in her glorious pants and glistening breastplate. Looking out to the starry glow across the way, she listened to the calls and screams of Humans and Mermaids, clenching her teeth in the strangeness of it all - docks and bound boats with boxes made of wood? Trees? Made of trees and dirt and rocks probably.

"I will take you across to the light and will stab anything that needs stabbing as we go. You will not drown. I can pull you or pull a boat or you can ride on my back like a suckerfish. You will not slow me down." Tempest spoke in a confidence that defined her majesticness and …oddness. "Let us be quick. Speak to me of what is on the other side glowing and what it means."

When the Siren drags or allows Bingle to hang onto her armor, bringing her across to the docked ship, at first sight of a dead Mermaid, she will cast Spiritual Weapon and start stabbing, peeking her head underwater to see if there are any Mermaids to protect if they are not direct targets.
Stat Block
 
Actions & Movement
 
__________________
Posting: Catching up!
"Speak your mind even if your voice shakes." RBG

Last edited by PlaidPeregrine; Mar 11th, 2023 at 12:15 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #128  
Old Mar 11th, 2023, 10:56 AM
lostcheerio's Avatar
lostcheerio lostcheerio is offline
Swords, not words!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 25th, 2023
RPXP: 40093
lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio
Posts: 9,710
Bingle Curiosa Wildwander, Forest Gnome Wizard/Warlock
right-aligned image
Back at the Ten Fang Fury, the deck is sloshed with water and the harbor is in chaos. Bright Falco is up on the deck of a ship, and Bingle wants to get there as soon as possible to help him. The mermaids don't understand the dock, but it's okay, there's no time to explain gates and such right now.

"Banx will protect you. He's very powerful," Bingle says to the mermaids. "Just do what he says and stay close to him!" Banx fires off another ice blast and she follows on with an eldritch blast. Banx's pristine white ray of ice, Bingle's shining black ball, wrapped in chains and leather straps, trailing black smoke. Who's to say which one is more powerful? Hers hits harder. His is targeted better. In the chaos of the moonlight and the brackish spray and the churning of the undead... who? Is? To? Say? (She is to say. But not right now, when these memraids need a champion, and she has to get on that ship somehow.)

Tempest. Tempest! How Jelbi Gimble would love this name! How Mitzi Prinkle would swoon! A heroine's name, a fierce name, a fantastical name! Bingle considers changing her own name to Storm or Deluge or Onslaught. And her hair to blue. Who knew you could actually have a name like the names in books?

"This is really just our territory right over here," she says, pointing to the (Ten! Fang! Fury!) dock, "And you can eat mushrooms there, later, after all the zombies are dead, no challenge needed. That's our tavern, that's our ship, and the rest of this--" she gestures to the rest of the town "--isn't really ours, but we're protecting it because..." one of the zombie mermaids breaches the waves to slap its rotted tail and moan, oh why not? (bold! loud! why not!) "...because we're heroes and zombies are just bad!"

Yes, she wants to climb onto Tempest's shoulders! Yes, she wants to zoom across the water! The starving anaconda climbs up on the legged mermaid with glee and her little heels grind into the blue armpits. And yes, once they get out in the flat damp she has her eyes closed and her forehead smashed into the back of Tempest's head. But that's only so she can breathlessly explain what's going on with the ship.

"We have to help the tiefling! The statues are watching him! Beware the statues! All we have to do is... fight... the statues! And then the ship is ours! And the Zhentarim! For ten thousand gold coins!" No, she doesn't have a super good grasp on the plan, except that now is a great time to do it, while everyone is freaking out. No, she doesn't need to know anything except to get to Falco and Fela and help kill whatever's killing them. No, she can't see the ship too well when she peeps her eyes open, just for a squinchy second, so when she Misty-Steps up to the deck, she's kinda bamfing blind. But Harlan helps! Good Harlan! He flutters in a spot that's good, so that her feet land on deck, and not a pile of rope or bodies.

"Thank you, Tempest!" she calls down. The ship under her moving. The motion of it, making her want to snooch under a bench. Forever! But she hangs onto the rail and shouts down, "If you can make our ship go, do it! If you want! I'm pretty sure you just move the stick and the wheel!"


ۜ\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ
 


ۜ\(ಠ_ಠ)/ۜ
 
__________________
💮💮💮 "Who are you, reader, reading my poems an hundred years hence?" 💮💮💮
Is Rabindranath Tagore talking to you?
Come discuss the work of this Bengali polymath at the RPGX Book Club!

Last edited by lostcheerio; Mar 11th, 2023 at 05:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old Mar 12th, 2023, 05:39 PM
Fillyjonk's Avatar
Fillyjonk Fillyjonk is offline
#Bard4Life
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 25th, 2023
RPXP: 35307
Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk
Posts: 11,239
The Wailing Maiden
left-aligned image
Fela, you knew Creativity was supposed to sleep alone aboard the Wailing Maiden tonight, and your party was going to move on him then and take it. Consensually, though, as a rescue. You are no pirate.

As your lantern flares, it is immediately clear that no one planned to watch the fireworks from here. There are no lounge chairs, no buffet or bar, no servants. The deck is clean and empty save for more statues and busts bolted here and there, including a huge, heavy carved mermaid figurehead who is looking over her shoulder, back at the ship.

As you descend, you hear Innovation calling after you, Fela! FELA! Do not even fu--- and then you are below and the rest is lost.

You are in a small galley with a long dining table, also clean and also empty except for the very dead sahuagin sprawled out on the floor with his guts spilling out and his head mashed in. There are at least four stone busts in this room, too, perched on work-counters or hung on the walls. There is no sign of Skerrin, but there is a single door, closed, in the south wall, and to your north, two sets of stairs lead down deeper into the ship---and that is where you hear the clang of steel on steel and someone chanting out a spell in the harsh and gargling tongue of the fishmen.

right-aligned image

Falco, Innovation is yelling something about --ing go down there alone! You tell her to help Fela if she can, and you see her swallow, clearly scared, but game. She pats ineffectively at the weeping mermaid she has pulled out of the sea and then she runs down the dock and boards the Wailing Maiden.

You and Felice flail your way beneath the dark waves until you can see which mermaids are dead-bu-killing and which are alive-but-getting-killed, and your starry arrow followed by your bolt utterly destroys one zombie. Felice's hand-crossbow jams, and she wastes six seconds thrashing around clearing and reloading it. An alive mermaid goes squirting away into the black, and two more undead ones tilt their horrifying faces up, turning milky gazes on you and the Zhent.

A blazing, spectral trident appears right beside the one closest to you, and it wallops her hard upside her head. She is dazed, but still clinging (barely) to her un-life. Above her, you see a blue-tinged mermaid wearing a very fancy pearl-encrusted breastplate has arrived to cast this trident. Cleric?

Tempest, it is strange to carry this fierce small personage who yanks your hair nearly out and yells garbled information directly into your neck. You get to the boat she has pointed out and pull up short. There is a rope hanging down from the side, all the way into the water and then trailing down. North of you is a wooden dock, very long and big. Your father has a little one and a cute boat for if he wants to fish or go to the other close island that has date trees.

But--- just a little below you, a ball of glorious light is shining out of a little gnome-Hin fellow made entirely of stars. He looks like a small, alive constellation, but down in the black velvet of the sea instead of up in the night sky, and he is blasting at the zombies by hurling some of his light at them. You put your trident near him and whang one, hurting it very badly. At the same time, you feel the slight weight of Bingle Curiosa pop away off your shoulders as she BAMFS up.

Which way now, Tempe?

Bingle, you and Banx blast away the bad deads Oceane saw as she and Cascade worm and arm-drag toward the bar. You don't want to leave them! BUT!

Banx is a very, very good wizrad, and a very, very good wizrad can protect Oceane and clear the waters around the Ten Fang. He can go get Henchy and Bill or the Kua Toa or who knows, maybe that Impactful Pet from UNDER can swim. He has got this! You leave him to it and go via piggyback on the Magical-Pants-Mermaid (she re-tails to FAST) across to the docks, because over at the Wailing Maiden, it seems to you, they need a very, very, very good wizrad, and that is you.

You can see in Falco's light that two alive mermaids down there are tail thumping at a zmobie one. Not super effectively, but to their thrashings you add a single mighty hell blast, and she is ended.

POP! You are aboard the Wailing Maiden. You land right by Innovation who shrieks, and then laughs, and then says, Oh, hurray, it's you, Bingle, listen, Fela went that way. By her damn self! HURT! She thrusts a red potion into your hands and points down a dark stairwell to your south.



OOC HERE IS A BATTLE MAP and with a little leeway and some mooshing, everyone is on the same one. YAY!

When I say NORTH I mean UP on the map, south is down ETC, and we all know that's not correct based on how the harbor sits, but it is just easier.

TEAM UNDERWATER: there is ONE zombie left. It has 2HP, and your PC is floating in the blue of the background; we will use a little theatre of the mind and approximate distances to finish up.

ANY Mask Token on the boat is a stone face, bust, or statue pointed to look in various ways across the deck or this or that room. All are bolted to the floor or a wall or the surface they stand on.

Plaid, it is a DC 12 athletics or acrobatics to climb up that rope and get aboard. You could also use all your movement to go to the dock and then climb up and she can get to the purple triangle.

Goonie, Falco and Felice can use their movement to get to the dock and climb up this round, if they wish, where the blue squares are.

__________________
New here? Come play a NEW PLAYER SOLO GAME

Join RPGX Book Club
Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old Mar 13th, 2023, 10:30 PM
AnotherDragoon's Avatar
AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon is online now
A warm fuzzy goonie
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 25th, 2023
RPXP: 31880
AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon
Posts: 5,742
New friends in low places
right-aligned image

Before he swam back up t' th' surface t' thank whoever were assistin' with th' undead, Falco produced one more glowin' bolt o' starlight an' 12 to hit for 11 radiant damagesent it streakin' through th' sea straight 'nto th' last o' th' wrongfully dead-but-not-quite mermaids. Then, he were up takin' a breath an' noddin' 'is thanks t' the newcomer. He assumed she were with th' mermaids on account o' her bein' blue an' seemin' t' be able t' walk upon th' waves. "Name's Falco," he said t' th' sea priestess, "Thanks fer th' help but I gotta get aboard that ship. No drowned rat is gonna be stealin' it out from under me!"

He nodded once more fer good measure before turnin' an' swimmin' back t' th' dock. As Falco climbed up outta th' harbor he said t' Felice, "Stay an' help th' mermaids as best ye can," plausible deniability Cap'n Kieran would call it, "I'm goin' after Skerrin." He were off runnin' fer th' gangplank, slappin' feet splashin' saltwater across th' dock, before th' last part even left 'is lips.

Felice nodded t' both Falco an' th' new one who weren't exactly a mermaid but weren't entirely human or elven neither. She shook off an' quietly cursed at her soaked leathers knowing all th' oilin' they would soon require before stoopin' down an' offerin' a hand t' any who might want outta th' harbor. She knew enough about what were on that ship t' be more'n happy stayin' outta it. But would there be enough o' Skerrin left t' hang?

Mechanics
Drink Counter: 3/3
5 temporary hit points.
Advantage on Charisma ability and skill checks and saving throws.
Advantage on saving throws made against fear.
Resistance to Psychic Damage.

Disadvantage on Wisdom and Dexterity saving throws.
Disadvantage on Intelligence and Wisdom skill checks
Liquid Courage for 1 hour.

 

 

 

 

__________________
Hey kids, do ya like Spelljamming? Join me and the other Astral Agents as jbear plots a course through Wildspace every other Thursday @ 7 pm EST streaming LIVE on YouTube.
Reply With Quote
  #131  
Old Mar 14th, 2023, 01:12 AM
PlaidPeregrine's Avatar
PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine is online now
Story Harvester
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 25th, 2023
RPXP: 20717
PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine
Posts: 6,062
Tempest
left-aligned image

Tempest was a giant seahorse with a smol rider on her back, or that is how she felt…except with a lot more pride since she was honoring this Hin-Gnome with such a trip to the ship. Mushrooms to eat! Zombies to kill because they are bad and they are …heroes? Heroes? Her father told fantastical stories about heroes and villains, monsters and pirates, and shining Elven knights and knightesses or shining Siren lasses that drowned the bad ship crews, freeing their captives and ill-gotten treasures. Well, her Elven father did and does try to set 'good' examples and bestow 'humanity' to his strange family through storytelling.

A Tiefling must be helped heroically, and statues are to be attacked! And the ship will be ours but she just said the ship was hers with all the mushrooms at her territorial tavern. Exhilaratingly chaotic through all of the horror of her Mermaid wards getting killed.

A glittering star-filled-being-Hin was below in the water helping kill the undead, and a Felice was on the docks helping Mermaids. Falco. Drowned rats taking over the ship. Rat. Rats. If there's one, there's more. "Are you friend or foe of Bingle Curiosa, Falco?" It is his ship and her ship? Surface people really do not make sense in groups as they do in books.

With an invitation to board the ship - and to sail it - and seeing the nearest dead zombie-maid get sparkle-deathed, the Siren dove into the near-deep, then sharply turned upwards swishing her tail powerfully until she flew up and out of the water like a glistening blue-scaled, tiger-striped sea priestess and grabbed onto the rope as though she had done this before. Her new pants covered legs and bare feet clung to the rope as she climbed right up. She would have a better view from above, plus, this Bingle FLEW off her, disappearing and reappearing, and holy mackerel! There is a slight chance that Bingle may be her surface-world equal-almost. Almost. The Hin-Gnome would need to take over more territory or at least keep her own safe from statues.

Once onboard, Tempest saw a few of the busts and statues; definitely not a common decoration on the deck or quarterdeck of a ship. Commanding her spiritual weapon to drift alongside the ship near the rope in case something followed, she felt secure trotting over to the statue on the southwestern-most corner (Aft). Indeed, if Bingle said they were dangerous and watching, the least she could do before diving back into the ocean would be to blind the Watchers. Smacking stone with the butt-end of a trident would probably chip its nose if she were lucky, so ink it was!

The Siren sensibly dug into her fancy bag, and fished around in all of the STUFF until she felt the cold, thick glass of her inkwell with the twisty bronze top. She unfastened the top and dabbed her finger into it as though it were a lady's perfume, and tried to splat her index finger fully against one eye, then the other of the spying stonework, hopefully giving it a more black-eyed evil blind gaze.

"I would enjoy sailing the ship once the Mermaids are safe, your enemies are blind, and I dine on your land's glorious mushroom offering." Tempest called out confidently to Bingle over her shoulder, not knowing if she could be heard or not.
Stat Block
 
Actions & Movement
 
__________________
Posting: Catching up!
"Speak your mind even if your voice shakes." RBG
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old Mar 14th, 2023, 02:47 AM
lostcheerio's Avatar
lostcheerio lostcheerio is offline
Swords, not words!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 25th, 2023
RPXP: 40093
lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio
Posts: 9,710
Bingle Curiosa Wildwander, Forest Gnome Wizard/Warlock
right-aligned image
Misty Step makes her feel a little bit fizzy, like she left her breath behind and got a new one pressed into her sharp. She brups at Innovation, and covers it with a cough, a little bit of salt on her tongue then and now. She drips on the deck, takes the potion (great) and a breath (fizz) and in the moonlight she sees Tempest (legs) hauling up onto the deck as well.

"Yes, blind our enemies!" she agrees loudly. "Just be careful of these priceless statues that we must preserve at all costs because they're so beautiful and important!"

WHAM! She sends an Eldritch Blast into one of the busts near her. "CARP!" she scolds herself. "How could you how? Must be more carefful!" With a wink to Tempest, she clatters down the stairs toward where Innovation is yelling that Fela is.

Things to blind:
1. Statues
2. Undeads
3. Sahuagin

Things to find:
1. Fela

And here she is.

"I'm with you," Bingle says at the bottom of the stairs, pressing the potion into Fela's hand, and Halran flies into the room in a green and gold flurry, heading straight on down through the next set of stairs.


ۜ\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ
 


ۜ\(ಠ_ಠ)/ۜ
 
__________________
💮💮💮 "Who are you, reader, reading my poems an hundred years hence?" 💮💮💮
Is Rabindranath Tagore talking to you?
Come discuss the work of this Bengali polymath at the RPGX Book Club!
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old Mar 14th, 2023, 06:05 AM
ptwiddle's Avatar
ptwiddle ptwiddle is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 25th, 2023
RPXP: 5196
ptwiddle ptwiddle ptwiddle ptwiddle ptwiddle ptwiddle ptwiddle ptwiddle ptwiddle ptwiddle ptwiddle
Posts: 662
Fela, deeper into danger
left-aligned image

Coming down from the deck of the ship, Fela is glad for once it's night, and her eyes don't need much time to adapt.

The corpse draws her attention first -- neither Creativity nor Skerrin but another Sahuagin. She understood why they'd gone for the VIPs on the boat next door, but why were they targeting the Wailing Maiden? Other than the washed-up fishman corpse the room is clean and well-fitted and nicer than she expected on a ship, and there's a tangy mixture of greed and guilt as she remembers that they'd planned to take the ship for themselves this very night, and that she's surrounded by statue faces, watching, presumably sharing what they see with powerful forces elsewhere...

"I'm not an intruder -- I'm helping the crew! Chasing a villain!" Whether she's trying to convince herself or the statues and whoever they report to is unclear.

But yelling and explosion noises suggest her friends are here and not being as careful as her, and noises downstairs suggest she should go deeper rather than through the door to the side. And then Bingle is there besides her. "Bingle! Help me rescue!" looking once to the potion being offered to her, once down to her hands filled with sword and lantern, and with a shrug rushes deeper into the danger, straight toward the chanting -- a Sahuagain? or Skerrin spoke it, outside? -- hoping she could reach Creativity before he was downed, or that it was some golem-construct of the ships doing the fighting, trying to keep her mind here on this ship and what might lie at the bottom of the steps, not worrying about Briony out in the town, Innovation up on the deck, Anders and Shella being dragged away, ....

Actions, etc.
Dice here except forgot:
Dice Perception just in case:
d20-1 (7)-1 Total = 6

Movement: 30' further down stairs in direction of the fighting sound; if she can reach the caster/Skerrin without triggering an AoO she will, also prioritising being close to Creativity to help protect...
Action: Oh boy contingency. Hopefully ship is small and she can attack Sahuagin/Skerrin: 21 to hit once for 6 slashing damage, missed on second, only 8 to hit on second so probably missed.
If 30' of movement toward sound doesn't get her to an enemy...I guess she steps back around corner and holds attack if she has space, or takes dodge action if she can't? Unless it's Creativity that's being fought, in which case she'd dash to be able to help give cover? I guess just ask if this doesn't cover it
Reaction: Interception fighting style if she can protect Creativity, AOO of it comes up otherwise.
Bonus action:
Status: Holding lantern in one hand, sword in the other

 

Last edited by ptwiddle; Mar 14th, 2023 at 06:05 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old Mar 14th, 2023, 07:25 PM
Fillyjonk's Avatar
Fillyjonk Fillyjonk is offline
#Bard4Life
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 25th, 2023
RPXP: 35307
Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk
Posts: 11,239
The Wailing Maiden
right-aligned image
Falco, you end the last zombie in a burst of radiant energy, and the two alive mermaids go shooting away toward the shore, moving so fast they are out of your light's range in half a blink. You thrash to the dock and climb up, Felice in your wake. You order her to protect the mermaids, but the only one in sight is the one Innovation pulled up. She is shivering and crying on the dock.

Felice regards it doubtfully. You ... want me to stand here? By ...this? Her Savoien heart is small, but dense. What is one mermaid more or less to her? Not. Much. Making sure there is not one less Falco? ---that, she cares about. Still, she stations herself over the crying creature as you introduce yourself to Tempest and go dashing aboard, almost running into Innovation who points down the stairs.

Fela and Bingle, that way! How can I help? she asks. She is wearing a summer dress that is bare enough to prove she has no armor and she seems to have no weapon beyond a large, fashionable purse, but her pale eyes blaze and her jaw is firm.

Tempest, you clamber up the rope, willing your glowing trident to follow you. It is down deep, almost thirty feet, so it doesn't break the surface, but it is on the way.

You see the statues Bingle Curiosa warned you about, and they are everywhere. Everywhere! You get ink and blind one, and then the Gnome-hin blasts another across the way and goes scampering down the stairs. You hear a battle is happening down there. Real battle, not simple art defacement. You hear the unmistakeable sound of the Sahuagin's ugly language.

A pretty, violet-blue girl with horns---a devil! You have seen such in father's art books!---eyes your armor and the glowing trident rising up through the water behind you and says, Uhhhh, friend! For sure, a friend of Bingle! Me and Falco both!

left-aligned image
Fela, these busts and statues are exquisite. You recognize them as truly the work of Ketterman Barley, famed sculptor of Templetome.

Falco has told you the eyes and ears are sensors, and that Barley uses these eyes and ears, all over the world, to scry and spy, and that his purpose is blackmail.

You have been vamp-charmed and under threat of public speaking, so you haven't had time, really, to digest this. Maybe you even doubted it. You have met Barley many times, and found him to be a charming, kindly older gent! Maybe you suspected Creativity was just pretending to work for Barley and is actually the spy---he is a tiefling, after all. Or maybe Falco had his wires crossed. But, here they are, these faces. Barley's work, no doubt. You recognize his style. You see how the faces are set to cover every inch of the ship. So it is true, then. It must be true.

Barley has dined at your house. In fact, your father sent for him the day your mother died. The bust he made of her dear face in its funeral veil stands on the mantle in your father's office where he can always see her. Where she can always see him. Ketterman Barley has been watching your righteous, good father---well, what could anyone use against him? But the idea that Barley is using your mother's eyes to watch your father in his private moments... vile. The vilest evil.

right-aligned image
Now, magic has rules and limits. SCRY is a spell. Perhaps he has hidden sensors in each of these faces and the faces of hundreds of of his works in hundreds of noble homes.Still! He can only look or listen, never both, and only through one statue at a time, and only when he is safely alone. What are the chances he is spying here, now, using one of these? On the other hand, he has Creativity under a pretty tight watch. He must check in on him most days, yes? Any one of these could activate at any given second. Any could be active now. How would you know? And what could you do about it, anyway, because as you thunder down the stairs, Harlan zooming ahead of you, Bingle following in your wake, what you see is a battle in a big room full of bunks and crates---and more statues and busts.

Bingle, you follow the Paladin and burst into the lower cabin. Falco said Creativity had six constructs guarding him. Two are always with him when he leaves the ship, as is his "babysitting broach." Two more are dead here, and two more sahuagin corpses as well. The last two constructs are very hurt and fighting just a big old mess of fishmen! Fela whangs into the closest with her sword and it makes satisfying grunty pain noises. One fo the constructs says, HELP! HELP US, FRIENDS, just like a person, but it is not a person. The dead ones on the floor leak oil and springs.

Two of the sahuagin bite and slash at the constructs, who seem inches from death now. The one Fela hit turns to her and lays into her with claws, his bite missing.

Across the room, you see a priestess. The kind of fishperson who can shoot the bolt that killed you! HERE! And with her? Skerrin. Hurt. SO satisfyingly hurt. Holding his guts in with his hands, actually. But the second he sees you and Fela, he drops prone, taking shelter behind one of the beds.

She shrieks out foul words in their language, and you see Skerrin and every other fishman in the room heal up a little. Then she looks over her shoulder, back where more steps lead up, and calls what sounds to you like a name---

Makaht! Makaht!!!!



OOCEVERYONE is on the same map and in action economy.

HERE IS YOUR MAP

Here is your combat table PLEASE CHECK YOUR NUMBERS

name health ac damage conditions concentrating
bingle35/3313 ma   
falco27/3812   
fela26/4416/18-5
tempest26/3817   
skerrinVERY hurt15 (+2 for half cover)+8 PRONE (ranged is at disadvantage) 
1HURT12-6 +8  
2HURT12+8  
3HURT12+8  
PriestessHEALTHY12   

The constructs have 1 and 4 HP. They will go after the sahuagin next round (if any are standing)

EVERYONE please roll a d100 this round and put it in your stat block.

Busts have an AC of 12 and statues have an AC of 15. EYES have 2 HP for the set. Each ear has one HP. You can destroy a whole bust for 10 HP and a statue's whole head for 15. You can use an action and a STR check of 15 to pry them off their moorings, On a success you can Bonus action hurl or tip them them in the sea.

You can also use an action to find INK in your pack, if you have it, or clothes from a disguise kit or other source, and then a free interaction to drape or blind the eyes. These things have no effect on ears.
__________________
New here? Come play a NEW PLAYER SOLO GAME

Join RPGX Book Club

Last edited by Fillyjonk; Mar 15th, 2023 at 08:39 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old Mar 15th, 2023, 10:36 PM
AnotherDragoon's Avatar
AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon is online now
A warm fuzzy goonie
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 25th, 2023
RPXP: 31880
AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon
Posts: 5,742
A boardin' party
right-aligned image

Falco shrugged. Felice were right, she weren't no good t' anybody out here standin' vigil o'er a dark dock an' traumatized mermaid. "Come with me if'n ye want but ye know what's up on that ship. An' what I'll be doin'." Might as well get a headstart on liberatin' th' Wailin' Maiden, what with ever'thing goin' on presently. "Ye could check in on th' Fury or make sure th' council's safe, let 'em know who orchestrated th' kidnappin'."

He didn't wait t' see which path she chose. Didn't need t', that woman were more'n capable o' handlin' herself. Th' not-exactly-a-mermaid asked 'im about Bingle an' Falco paused enough t' smile, "Aye, me an' Bingle be crewmates ye might say. We even used t' have matchin' scars." Only hers cost so much more. He weren't even sure jus' how much but he knew it must've been a steep price.

Falco nearly ran 'nto Innovation on 'is way aboard th' ship what would soon be 'is. "D'ye think ye can do anythin' fer that mermaid on th' dock? There's a safe place under our tavern ye can take her, Henchy can open it." She pointed 'im down below deck but what he noticed first were all th' statues. All th' expertly carved stone eyes an' ears. "He could be hidin' anywhere," th' glowin' Hin said t' 'imself loud enough fer a statue t' hear if'n it were so able. "Even behind one o' those!" Th' starlight arrow flew from 'is hand an' 16 to hit for 5 radiant damagestruck th' nearest bust as he spoke th' last word an' bolted fer th' stairs where sounds o' fightin' were risin' up from.

Mechanics
Drink Counter: 3/3
5 temporary hit points.
Advantage on Charisma ability and skill checks and saving throws.
Advantage on saving throws made against fear.
Resistance to Psychic Damage.

Disadvantage on Wisdom and Dexterity saving throws.
Disadvantage on Intelligence and Wisdom skill checks
Liquid Courage for 1 hour.

 

 

 

 

__________________
Hey kids, do ya like Spelljamming? Join me and the other Astral Agents as jbear plots a course through Wildspace every other Thursday @ 7 pm EST streaming LIVE on YouTube.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:54 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2023, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB