PF-1e The Keys to All Kingdoms: A Training Seminar for Potential DMs - Page 3 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Dec 31st, 2021, 05:27 PM
Now With Kung Fu Grip!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7859
arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12
Quote:
Originally Posted by delpinator View Post
I've been on the site for a few years now and ran a solo game for a year. I'd like to join if possible obviously I'd be a second choice but I think there is a lot I could potentially learn.
Second choice? Pshaw. Old friends and players who are three year veterans of one of my games get the red carpet treatment.

Good to see you again, Del.
Old Dec 31st, 2021, 05:50 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3237
delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator
Yeah good to see you as well.
Old Dec 31st, 2021, 05:58 PM
The Midnight Fairy

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 33498
Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena
Quite intriguing
Old Dec 31st, 2021, 06:38 PM
Slave to an abusive Muse

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 211
Aotyr Aotyr Aotyr
Bless you for your recurring efforts to better the site, bring the joy of DMing to others, and spread more games to the player base.
Old Dec 31st, 2021, 08:36 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1843
NightDreamer09 NightDreamer09 NightDreamer09 NightDreamer09 NightDreamer09 NightDreamer09 NightDreamer09 NightDreamer09 NightDreamer09 NightDreamer09 NightDreamer09
That's interesting; I was thinking on a mentor for an idea I had just the other day. I'll update this post in the following hours.

Your biggest fear as potential DM - what's kept you from trying before now?
Not being able to be up to the task of leading a group of people through an adventure.
Meaning finding myself short on what to say at a certain point, meaning not being able to deliver a proper experience, meaning not being able to properly deal with the rule side of things.

What you've liked or disliked about DMs you've had in the past

What I liked:
- When they were communicative with the players and actively supported the players in the play
- Didn't rush things while, at the same time, enforcing a stable pace.

What I disliked:
- the lack of effort and communication (example: dropping out for whatever reason without notifying the players and leaving them hanging, only to reappear not long after with a new adventure's ad.)
- rushing things

Your basic experiences with RPGs as a player
In RPG Crossing, the NPGS game and Phettberg's Star Wars game. I tried a Starfinder game but I retired as I didn't fit and a DnD game that died for unspecified reasons. Outside I've been doing collaborative text-based roleplay without dice rolling on and off for some years.

Last edited by NightDreamer09; Jan 2nd, 2022 at 03:57 AM.
Old Jan 2nd, 2022, 03:34 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 334
Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite
I'm interested in DM training.

The formatting, the dice rolls, the system rules, the BBC codes, the overwhelming abundance of information and material on this site. Also, if I somehow learn how to set up and run a game in this format and get players to join, what if I screw it up?

What you've liked or disliked about DMs you've had in the past
- I like DMs who plan an adventure with encounters that engage all of the player-characters, not just one or two.
- I like DMs that are flexible and willing to let go of a plan if the players come up with something better.
- Open lines of communication between DM and players is always a good thing.
- As a player I really prefer a game that is heavy on role-play, IC group problem solving, and player collaboration, and light on combat.

Your basic experiences with RPGs as a player
- I'm currently in a solo game on RPGcrossing. Really grateful for the DM's time and patience, I'm having fun and learning this pbp format!
- I play TTrpg in-person, DnD5e (and previously GURPs), but have never DM'd. Currently a player in an in-person group that meets about once a month.
- I have been doing collaborative text-based roleplay for ten years. Narrative only, no dice rolling, first pbem via yahoo groups, then groups(dot)io, then (for the last couple years) Nova web-app format. I'm currently a player in three games, and I GM one. But... in Nova format the GM is a Game Manager, not (usually) Game Master - I manage the website, keep the narrative moving with my own characters and NPCs, and sort of act as OOC cheerleader.
Old Jan 2nd, 2022, 11:27 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
Zynthea
I'm interested.

Last edited by Zynthea; Jan 2nd, 2022 at 12:21 PM.
Old Jan 2nd, 2022, 11:40 AM
Now With Kung Fu Grip!

Tools
User Statistics
Shiny, guys! You're all in.

Two spots left! Pretty much first come, first serve! Get it in there!

Meanwhile, Del, NightDreamer09, Sprite, Zynthea:

1) Head over to the game thread.
2) Post something in your private notebook so I know you can see it.
3) Post something in the Celestial Water Cooler to say hi to each other and share whatever "getting to know you" stuff you feel like sharing.
4) At your leisure, feel free to start on Lesson 1. No rush, we'll probably spend about 10-14 days on each lesson and the clock doesn't really start on this one until we get our last two trainees.

Looking forward to working with you!
Old Jan 2nd, 2022, 12:12 PM
Creature of the Deep

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11464
Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith
Posting for visibility cause this is awesome.

And depending on load, I’d be interested in helping out.
Old Jan 4th, 2022, 02:39 PM
Now With Kung Fu Grip!

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasrith View Post
Posting for visibility cause this is awesome.

And depending on load, Id be interested in helping out.
Thanks! I invite you to hang out with us at the water cooler and observe.

Still two more openings for people, now's the time to jump in!
Old Jan 4th, 2022, 07:43 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3557
penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0
I'd be interested. I haven't tried DMing here, not so much because of time constraints but because I am impressively computer illiterate when it comes to mechanics like creating threads, building tables, creating maps . . . the nuts and bolts stuff. I'd love to have someone show me the rope and answer questions if you have openings left.
Old Jan 4th, 2022, 10:29 PM
Now With Kung Fu Grip!

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by penbeast0 View Post
I'd be interested. I haven't tried DMing here, not so much because of time constraints but because I am impressively computer illiterate when it comes to mechanics like creating threads, building tables, creating maps . . . the nuts and bolts stuff. I'd love to have someone show me the rope and answer questions if you have openings left.
What I'm teaching will largely be non-technical, but I am planning a tech course in the middle of it, around lesson four. So if you have the patience to endure the rest, you'll definitely get what you're looking for.

Come join us!
Old Jan 7th, 2022, 02:53 AM
Lion lion, burning bright

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1026
Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks
If there is still a slot left like I think, I'll sign on. To be 100% honest, I've ran one-off adventures here and there in a persistent setting of mine, but it's been difficult to do anything more consistent or long-term. And I've only had those successful sessions in the past year or so.

Incompetence.
- That I won't work with the players and what they want for the game.
- That I'll force pretentious ideas that people aren't interested in.
- That I will make my NPCs more important than the PCs.
- That I'll burn out before a campaign can properly get off the ground.
- That the sessions or adventures I'm running aren't engaging enough to the players.

What you've liked or disliked about DMs you've had in the past?
Liked: Contributing to the story with my interactions in-character, and seeing the GM put their own spin on the ideas and backstory I presented. It really feels like my ideas are worthwhile when that happens. Also, patience when I'm having a rough time outside the game. Lastly, it's always nice to be allowed to play beast races whenever it doesn't clash with the setting.

Disliked: My first GM informed me that he killed off my Druid character, of whom I'd gotten to level 11 in D&D 3.5 over the years, because his healing output wasn't good enough for the campaign compared to a Cleric. Also, favoritism for the GM's significant other's PC over others, for a more specific one. And dropping games left and right, only to start up entirely new ones the following week.

Your basic experiences with RPGs as a player?
Been playing D&D and adjacent games (Pathfinder, Dungeon World, OSR retroclones like Basic Fantasy RPG, Mutants & Masterminds, etc) across various editions for the past fifteen or so years. I've also branched out into various other systems -- Savage Worlds, FATE, Shadowrun 5e, Powered By The Apocalypse (Masks, Legacy: Life Among The Ruins, etc) and more obscure ones (Everywhen is my favorite generic system). At this point of my life, I like games with a bit less crunch but enough gameplay to stand on -- D&D 5e (if just using the PHB and a supplemental race) and PbtA as mentioned. As long as there's a good balance of roleplaying and roll-playing, I'll be happy. Especially if the mechanics fit the narrative!

I tend to like animal-people DEX-based melee characters and support when I play fantasy games like D&D. Rogues, monks, rangers, martially-inclined bards and clerics, and agile fighters and barbarians are all fun for me. It's fun for me to be the outsider that somehow fits into the ragtag band of adventuring misfits, usually one who stands loyal to their friends, regardless of their other personality traits. Neutral alignments tend to be my favorite and easiest for me to play authentically -- NG, CN and LN in that order, specifically. For examples of other genres, toss me a shotgun (or blaster, or hand-cannon) for anything involving guns, or allow me to be the skill monkey or super-movement (teleportation, flight, parkour-across-buildings) street-level person in superheroes.

Suddenly, a summer breeze, and a mighty lion roar~ ♪
Oathbound

Last edited by Seeks; Jan 7th, 2022 at 02:59 AM. Reason: Pedantry and formatting, my old friends
Old Jan 7th, 2022, 10:54 AM
Now With Kung Fu Grip!

Tools
User Statistics
And with the addition of Seeks, we return this thread to the dark abyss of the archive for now. Who knows when next it will be raised to the top?

penbeast0 and Seeks:

1) Head over to the game thread.
2) Post something in your private notebook so I know you can see it.
3) Post something in the Celestial Water Cooler to say hi to each other and share whatever "getting to know you" stuff you feel like sharing.
4) Feel free to start on Lesson 1. We'll probably spend about 10-14 days on each lesson, with that clock starting today now that we have our full class.

Looking forward to working with you!

Last edited by arin12; Jan 7th, 2022 at 10:54 AM.