RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Jan 13th, 2022, 01:37 PM
Paladin Extraordinaire

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8502
Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieuoffire View Post
Vesper:
For melee ranged there is:
Combat archery [epic]
Point blank master [PF]. I would allow this but it does have pre-req(s).

Ranged PA is more powerful (useful) than a melee one, which is why wizards said no to it.

But if you were to weaken it (power attack as a light weapon with an additional penalty.) I would probably allow it.

Nice build but I want to let you know there are others who are already waiting and I am not sure how many I will be taking in right now.

Also the campaign setting has its own pantheon.
Power attack is much more limited in Pathfinder. -1 gives you +2 damage. That is as high as you can go at this level.
Old Jan 13th, 2022, 04:32 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 610
Dieuoffire Dieuoffire Dieuoffire Dieuoffire Dieuoffire Dieuoffire
@Sic Transit
Looks pretty good.
A custom item would probably be outside of your spending ability right now. But getting on later is possible.

I think this is the second Illumian and second from Windhand. That's funny to me for some reason. I am going to allow some time for anyone else to apply but will be deciding then adding new characters very soon.

Maghnuis
True, I would probably allow it. Many character classes and so on have powered up closer to PF so no problem I think.
I did not think you were still interested?
Old Jan 13th, 2022, 04:45 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 252
Sic Transit Sic Transit Sic Transit
@Dieuoffire, I have a few questions before I dive into the world of 3.5 item shopping:
  • The first of many future editing problems! Tome of Magic p. 196 says that I get a +4 competence bonus for targeting myself with an utterance. Page 200 says it is an untyped bonus. Page 233 says it's a circumstance bonus. Character optimization advocates have tried to argue that these are all different bonuses and truenamers get them all, but I think that's patently ridiculous; clearly, there's just one +4 bonus. I'd obviously really prefer this to be untyped or circumstance (because circumstance bonuses from different circumstances stack), but the final decision here is certainly yours.
  • Are you using the Affiliation Membership rules? In particular, is membership in the Paragnostic Assembly (Complete Champion pp 72-73) available? I'm not sure yet whether I want to commit to the significant wealth drain that requires, but at least want to know if its an option.
  • Regarding custom magical items. As noted, I'm especially going to want a competence bonus to Truespeak item, which I'll certainly want to improve periodically as levels advance (and money allows!). The cost is really straightforward, per the DMG: bonus squared times 100 gp.
    • Do you foresee that sort of item being fairly readily available, or should I consider being able to create such items on my own? If the latter, do truenamers even qualify for Craft Wondrous Item? That feat requires "caster level 3rd". Utterances are spell-like abilities, so I have an effective caster level (equal to my truenamer level) for activating them, but I'm not sure if that strictly qualifies for the feat.
    • As a related question, some DMs prefer that these items only exist with bonuses in multiple of 5; are you okay with, say, a +3 competence bonus to Truespeak item?
Old Jan 13th, 2022, 06:05 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
I use it as a competence mostly because using your own name is not a circumstance, however having practiced it your are competent in it's usage.

Affiliation rules can be fun and I would not mind the assembly but would have to find a place to put it.

Truespeak is rare, but you could probably find an artificer to make one for you. Secondly I am not opposed to a +3 skill item. I would allow you to get the craft item feats but you would still have to fulfill each item's requirements before making it. Meaning many items would be difficult to make for a truenamer.
Old Jan 13th, 2022, 06:30 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
I use it as a competence mostly because using your own name is not a circumstance, however having practiced it your are competent in it's usage.
Unfortunate, but if that's the way you'd like it to work, so be it. Just FYI, this does mean that once I have a +4 (or better) competence item, I essentially lose the benefit of the Know Personal Truename class feature because this class is weird. Short version: Knowing a "personal" truename is a huge production that is essentially never worth doing, but the class gives me mine for free. However, using one for an utterance gives you a -2 penalty on the check (it also increases save DC and SR penetration... and requires an additional skill check); that's (more than) offset by the +4 self-targeting bonus (since I don't need myself to make saves or beat my own SR!) for a net +2 to tag myself... but not if it doesn't stack with bonuses I'll get elsewhere. Which is fine, it just means that I won't use my "personal" truename when self-targeting once I have a competence item, and self-targeting won't be any easier than targeting anyone else with the same CR.

That's not a big deal, but I thought you should know the context for why I asked in the first place.

Quote:
Affiliation rules can be fun and I would not mind the assembly but would have to find a place to put it.
I'll try to make the decision fairly soon about whether I'll be interested in joining. The amount of character wealth they require as donations is daunting.

Quote:
Truespeak is rare, but you could probably find an artificer to make one for you. Secondly I am not opposed to a +3 skill item. I would allow you to get the craft item feats but you would still have to fulfill each item's requirements before making it. Meaning many items would be difficult to make for a truenamer.
All good here.
Old Jan 13th, 2022, 07:54 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Hmm... you have a point.

I seen no reason to cripple a truenamer character when most of my rules are powering up characters. I will allow it as an untyped bonus then and attribute it to the very strong personal connection you have the the true name. Seems just as appropriate and nobody else will disagree I think.
Old Jan 13th, 2022, 11:24 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3611
Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome
Never seen one played so this will be interesting.
Old Jan 13th, 2022, 11:56 PM
Paladin Extraordinaire

Tools
User Statistics
Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis
Maghnuis
True, I would probably allow it. Many character classes and so on have powered up closer to PF so no problem I think.
I did not think you were still interested?[/QUOTE]

Interested, yes.
Time to jump in, no.
Old Jan 14th, 2022, 02:47 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
so we have a shadowy figure lurking in the background?
Old Jan 14th, 2022, 12:12 PM
Paladin Extraordinaire

Tools
User Statistics
Exactly... that one you can't see.
Old Jan 14th, 2022, 01:28 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2762
Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum
C'mon Maghnuis.. you know you want this..
Old Jan 14th, 2022, 06:56 PM
Year of the Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1823
arkerpay arkerpay arkerpay arkerpay arkerpay arkerpay arkerpay arkerpay arkerpay arkerpay arkerpay
Is this going to be a humanoid with move speed of 30 capable of riding a horse?
Old Jan 15th, 2022, 12:43 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Titus has a fly speed of 60ft I believe. So not everyone needs a horse, just a fast way to get around.
Old Jan 15th, 2022, 01:35 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Titus has a fly speed of 60ft I believe. So not everyone needs a horse, just a fast way to get around.
Ooh, the party travels at speed 60, eh? Um, hmm. I'll... have to see what I can do about that...
Old Jan 15th, 2022, 02:17 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Not really but they have been moving (chase scenes) a lot lately and mounts or the ability to move has been pertinent. There is a shadow who flies at 40 ft too but that has been seen as slow and put them out of the running a couple of times.