PF-1e The Keys to All Kingdoms: A Training Seminar for Potential DMs - Page 2 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Dec 26th, 2016, 06:23 AM
Now With Kung Fu Grip!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7859
arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12
Not sure if it was 100% clear from that: Ratpigeon and Pseudonymous, get your butts over here.

Old Dec 26th, 2016, 08:59 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 245
Monkeycameron Monkeycameron Monkeycameron
I would be interested in the 2nd intake when ready
Old Dec 26th, 2016, 05:53 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2448
Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin
I would also be interested in being in the second batch. I have been on the site for about 2 months and have got the art of writing applications down to the point where I am getting into more games than I am being rejected from. Have found some great DM's but have had two vanish so far.

I have my own homebrew world from the early 80's that I ran on tabletop for about 15 years until seniority at work and children stopped me gaming. I would love to learn how to get that onto this site and run adventures in it again. Just hope I have not reached over 2K posts when you start class 2.

Fwalin/Mike
Old Dec 26th, 2016, 06:08 PM
Now With Kung Fu Grip!

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeycameron View Post
I would be interested in the 2nd intake when ready
I'll keep you in mind, and definitely ping you if I lose someone early on in this batch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwalin McFundin View Post
I would also be interested in being in the second batch. I have been on the site for about 2 months and have got the art of writing applications down to the point where I am getting into more games than I am being rejected from. Have found some great DM's but have had two vanish so far.

I have my own homebrew world from the early 80's that I ran on tabletop for about 15 years until seniority at work and children stopped me gaming. I would love to learn how to get that onto this site and run adventures in it again. Just hope I have not reached over 2K posts when you start class 2.

Fwalin/Mike
Actually, if you've got 15 years' experience DMing at the tabletop, then you already know a good 90%+ of what I'm teaching in this seminar. I'd encourage you to just head on up to that tools menu in the top right corner and hit "Request a Game". If you got questions about the subtle differences of a PbP environment, I'm more than happy to answer them over PM now.

Last edited by arin12; Dec 26th, 2016 at 06:08 PM.
Old Dec 27th, 2016, 12:52 AM
Nutter Extraordinaire

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1763
DeJoker DeJoker DeJoker DeJoker DeJoker DeJoker DeJoker DeJoker DeJoker DeJoker DeJoker
And/or you can PM me as well the silent partner
Old Dec 27th, 2016, 01:01 AM
Now With Kung Fu Grip!

Tools
User Statistics
Gonna have to formally and clearly state that I do not necessarily endorse or condemn any opinions or advice given by DeJoker. He's obviously free to offer any help he wishes to offer you, but he does not yet carry any official weight or standing regarding this project.
Old Dec 27th, 2016, 04:25 PM
Nutter Extraordinaire

Tools
User Statistics
DeJoker DeJoker DeJoker DeJoker DeJoker DeJoker DeJoker DeJoker DeJoker DeJoker DeJoker
Yeah I am just the silent partner on a trail basis until Arin considers me viable for the project but I am not concerned for that is just a matter of time kind of thing to me.

Hey Arin, you might want to change the "Apprentice Slots Remaining: 2" to something different though in the first post

Last edited by DeJoker; Dec 27th, 2016 at 04:28 PM.
Old Dec 27th, 2016, 05:56 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2448
Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin
Glad you think I would have the skills to DM on here. i am playing in 6 games that are actually running at present so am getting ideas about what I would want players to do to help me out [stat block, application with link to Character sheet etc.] but need help with the map creation side of things in particular. What is the software most people use to create maps? The ones I have seen are brilliant
Old Dec 27th, 2016, 06:10 PM
Nutter Extraordinaire

Tools
User Statistics
Well its been a while for me but there used to be a free online tool -- still why not ask your STs about it and if they have suggestions come on back here and let us know. Of course Arin might have some ideas about this
Old Dec 27th, 2016, 06:41 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1416
Eleven Sided Die Eleven Sided Die Eleven Sided Die Eleven Sided Die Eleven Sided Die Eleven Sided Die Eleven Sided Die Eleven Sided Die Eleven Sided Die Eleven Sided Die
When you're ready for your second or third class, I'd like to be considered....I just barely fall under your 2000 post limit on this site (I think this post is #7 for me).

I've never DM'ed before - in fact, I've barely played any RPG games in way too many years - but back in my 'glory days' when I used to play D&D on a regular basis I did a lot of 'worldbuilding'; I just never got anything put well enough together to show it to any other actual human beings.

As to your 'application questions':

Your biggest fear as potential DM - what's kept you from trying before now? - Probably the same as most would-be DMs: the fear that I would be woefully unprepared for whatever the players would try to get out of the scenario. That they would want to bypass the village, where I'd set up encounters, traps, NPCs, etc., and instead head on down the road to the valley, where I had absolutely nothing planned. the fear that after two or three sessions, I'd have exhausted all of my creativity and the players would get bored and leave.

What you've liked or disliked about DMs you've had in the past - What I've disliked: DMs who are inflexible, who have a particular idea of how the characters should act, and who are unwilling to adapt their game. As a player I usually start with an idea of what my character is going to be like, but as a game progresses and I start interacting with the other players I often find that my character goes off in a direction that I hadn't foreseen; a DM who will not allow for 'unexpected' behavior, or who tries to pigeonhole characters into their own predefined ideas of the roles, takes all of the fun out of the game for me.

On the other hand, I really appreciate a DM who is willing to adapt, to weave characters' backstories into the campaign, to further develop minor NPCs in whom the characters have taken interest. I love it when a DM allows for character 'downtime' to flesh out the world and allow the players to sink deeper into the story, instead of simply moving from one encounter to another as quickly as possible in order to get to 'the end'.

Your basic experiences with RPGs as a player - I played a lot of D&D back in high school (which was 30+ years ago) and into college a bit. Back then, it was just "Dungeons & Dragons"; the ruleset was vastly different than pretty much anything that people are playing today...but the basic concept is still the same. I was re-introduced to the genre last year when my son started playing with some of his high school friends. They started on Pathfinder, so I stole his Player Guide, then quickly discovered all of the online content available. I've played a bit with him and a couple friends, and tried a couple sessions of Pathfinder Society play (which failed to appeal to me for some reason), then discovered this site.

I've been lurking here for a couple months just reading along, getting a feel for what the place is like, and just created my account earlier today now that the insanity of the holidays is mostly passed. I'd certainly understand if you'd like to reserve slots for folks who have a bit more history here, but if you'd like to take on a old grizzled veteran/greenhorn newbie, I'm game!
Old Dec 27th, 2016, 10:36 PM
Now With Kung Fu Grip!

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwalin McFundin View Post
What is the software most people use to create maps? The ones I have seen are brilliant
I have multiple sources for maps.

I use NBOS' Fractal Mapper for my "big picture" overland/world maps, my simplistic town maps, and so forth. I use Hexographer for some of the zoomed in continent/country maps. I use Donjon's Online Dungeon Mapmaker for some of the interior areas that I have lying around.

And sometimes I just cannibalize from established sources. My guild hall for Training Grounds, for example, used to be a giant stronghold in Dragon Magazine Issue #147.

We also have a VERY competent and good map designer on the site, Digorig, who makes maps on request in a thread here. Often times I'll take a map I made in Donjon and have him add flavor to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven Sided Die View Post
When you're ready for your second or third class, I'd like to be considered...
Done. At the appropriate time, I'll tap you on the shoulder.

Last edited by arin12; Dec 27th, 2016 at 10:37 PM.
Old Dec 28th, 2016, 06:20 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1533
Nai Nai Nai Nai Nai Nai Nai Nai Nai Nai Nai
I would like to be considered if possible. I just found this thread today. What are the requirements and have all of the slots been taken? Thank You.
Old Dec 28th, 2016, 06:44 PM
Now With Kung Fu Grip!

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nai View Post
I would like to be considered if possible. I just found this thread today. What are the requirements and have all of the slots been taken? Thank You.
All the current slots have been taken. When I finish with this group of initiates in approximately 3-6 months, I will begin another class and I'll PM you first to ask if you want to take part.

You meet all the requirements.
Old Dec 30th, 2021, 08:42 PM
Now With Kung Fu Grip!

Tools
User Statistics
Thread Necromancy! See the initial post. Taking six new apprentices.
Old Dec 31st, 2021, 05:00 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3237
delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator
I've been on the site for a few years now and ran a solo game for a year. I'd like to join if possible obviously I'd be a second choice but I think there is a lot I could potentially learn.