RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Dec 9th, 2021, 07:26 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14748
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
Twelve Swords

Applications are Closed

Beyond the Wall

Twelve Swords

The premiseThe story follows the adventures of several young adults as they find themselves defending the village they have called home their entire lives, and the events that cause them to traveling beyond its borders into lands unknown.

The SettingThe setting is loosely based upon the Book of Swords series by Fred Saberhagen. World history, the Swords, magic, demons, etc., will all be utilized. People, places, and current events will not be followed. No, you do not need to know anything about the books. The Beyond the Wall ruleset aligns itself nicely with that world and I think they make for a good fit.

The RulesetBeyond the Wall can be characterized as a rules-light d20 system that is very easy to pick up and has a lot of charm, without getting in the way of narrative (at least, I think so). Players that are not familiar with the game are more than welcome to apply.

Character CreationIn Beyond the Wall, there are 3 main classes: Warrior, rogue and mage. There are also various combinations of those three classes that borrow abilities and aspects from different pairs.

When creating your character, you will not roll or assign your attribute points or even begin selecting your skills and abilities. Instead, you will select one of the many playbooks that will determine your character's class and bakground.

Each playbook will have you rolling seven different die to determine events from your characters childhood and up to the present. These events will also drive the gaining of attribute points, skills, abilities, items, etc., along the way.

Each player can roll up two different playbooks (or the same one twice) and pick between the two (If you are truly unhappy with either, just let me know).

Also, while not included within the playbooks, each player can also select one trait of their choosing.

While you are rolling on the various tables for your character, you may get a particular result that you absolutely hate, or you may just see a result that you missed that you really love. Once during each playbook, you may ignore the result of a roll and pick anything you like from that particular table.

Take a look at the playbooks contained in the guide linked below and let me know if you have any questions.

All rolls for the playbooks should be made HERE. Do not make any rolls in this thread.

ApplicationInformation about the game
  • Deadline date: 1/5
  • # of players: 5
  • Post rate: 1-2 posts/week

Please include the following in your application:
  • Character name:
  • Playbook
  • Description & Personality:
  • History (taking into account the events rolled in the playbook)

Q & A
Quote:
Is there a comparative tone or feel the game might be similar to (for those not familiar with Book of Swords)? Lord of the Rings, Wheel of Time, etc?
Tonally, the setting is much more in line with the Lord of the Rings. Magic exists, but it is hard to master and possessed by few. The protagonists are not adventurers by their own design, but rather have it thrust upon them.

Quote:
Will this be a set campaign that has an end? Or is it more open ended and a continuous journey?
Nearly all of the games I run are almost entirely player driven, and this is no exception. I have defined plot points and events outlined that will be occurring in the world, but what the players do or where they go is completely up to them. In this respect, there is no "end" planned.

Quote:
Are the characters involved expected to be known to one another? Will there be opportunity to weave backgrounds together, or establish history between chars? Or not?
Actually, all of the characters will will be friends with one another or, at the very least, know of each other. All of the playbooks have events baked in that integrate the characters' backgrounds into one another for just this purpose.

Player Character Playbook Class Status
Humble Hero Donal Jos Heir to a Legend Warrior-Rogue Reviewed
penbeast0 Anders Assistant Beast Keeper Rogue-Mage Reviewed
Hal Hammerhand Katrin Heartstone The Nobleman's Wild Daughter Warrior Reviewed
DebiRedHair Anya of the White Rose Retired veteran Warrior Reviewed
GeneT Na'naya suth'Tivanrath Witch's Prentice Mage Reviewed
Zangul Duncan McClain The Untested Thief Rogue Reviewed
The Rat Queen Branwen The Fae Foundling Warrior-Mage Reviewed
ElderOblex Gryff Voswall The Last of a Fallen House Warrior-Rogue Withdrawn
The Dark Star Tanis Kalhoon The Local Performer Rogue Reviewed
JohnGrady Brht N Gaithene Devout Acolyte Mage Reviewed

Last edited by Silent Rain; Jan 5th, 2022 at 01:08 AM.
Old Dec 9th, 2021, 07:45 PM
No, have a great day!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 697
Humble Hero Humble Hero Humble Hero Humble Hero Humble Hero Humble Hero
Hello, am interested in the game, and the notion of the swords is very intriguing. Here is my application!

Heir to a Legend
right-aligned image

Your father has always told you stories of how great a hero he was. Many of the other villagers scoff at his stories and pity you for being raised by such a liar, but you know that he is true and honest. Now you have his sword, a mighty weapon of power, and you will make a name for yourself to make him proud.

Character name: Donal Jos

Playbook: Heir to a Legend (Warrior-Rogue)

Description: Donal is a young man, who appears as a farmer. He wears simple cloth clothing, a leather coat, and comfortable well-worn boots. His skin is olive, from the sun and being outdoors, his hair is dark and long, while his eyes are deep brown. He maintains a neat stubble, but can let it grow into a beard if unable to groom.

Physically, Donal is well-built. He has had many hard years of farming, which has given him a decent physique and hearty constitution. His years of dealing with farm animals have left him quick-footed, and he rarely loses his footing. His hands are calloused, his skin is weather-beaten, and he has very little fat on his body; all due to long days filled with taxing and unending physical labor on his family farm.

Personality: Donal is generally a kind, caring and protective individual. He has been raised on the tales of his father's past, of being heroic and helping others less fortunate, which has instilled a strong sense of morals. Though, because so many in the village scoff at his retelling of his father's stories, Donal has also become stubborn and a little prideful; he feels that his words should be trusted, as he trusts his father's, and can get agitated when others belittle or dismiss him.

One thing Donal can't abide is the unnecessary cruelty of animals. He understands that some animals are food, and he has no problem eating meat (he quite likes it), but when someone purposefully intends to hurt a creature - such as whipping a horse - Donal must step in and get involved.

Donal feels the same way about his friends. He grew up with a close-knit group, and he often stood up for the smaller ones against bullies or protected them from threats around the village. Whether as a display of his nature, or a want to live up to his father's heroics - or a combination of both - is hard to say. Either way, Donal won't abandon his friends, and will help them face down any danger...

History: Donal was born to a small family - an only child - to parents who were farmers, and grew up on the outskirts of town. From a young age it was clear Donal was bright, he always went out of his way to learn as much as he could from anyone he met - whether it be lessons on fishing, how to throw a punch, or simply how to skip rocks across a lake. He was a cheerful child, he made friends easily, and his upbringing on the farm made him modest and hardworking. It came as no surprise that Donal grew fond of caring for others and started to become protective, such as animals or smaller kids, which became a foundation of his personality in years to come.

For years, Donal's father - Simun Jos - would treat his son to stories of the past, casting the bedtime routine into adventure and excitement, as heroic tales were shared. He was told about how his father was once a great hero, renown for fighting evils throughout distant lands, even raising an opposing army to fight back a barbarian horde. It was amazing being the son of a hero, someone who had such legend to his name... so it was very confusing when villagers laughed at Donal's retellings, saying his father was a liar, but the boy knew his father and he was honest and true.

As he grew, Donal continued to search out others to expand his knowledge and smarts. He became friends with a fisherman, an elderly man who lived down the river from the farm, and the old man shared stories with Donal. And the youngster, in turn, shared tales from his father. Both enjoyed the time spent watching the fishing lines, and unlike the others in the village, the fisherman didn't judge or show any disbelief at the legendary heroic tales.

He also spent time with other children around his age, who became friends over the years. In fact, one evening while Donal was out looking for a sheep that escaped the pen, he stumbled across one - a fellow village boy, Anders - who seemed to be following a suspicious and beautiful woman to the inn; so, with a shared curiosity, Shared event, +1 Dexthey both followed, silently, and soon witnessed the beautiful woman leave on a horse in the night. Donal parted ways after the odd encounter, found the sheep in a nearby dandelion patch, and returned home to sleep. Curiously, the next morning, it would be revealed that the miller had been murdered by persons unknown...

Throughout childhood, Donal was kept very busy. During the morning and day, he would help work the farm. In the afternoons he would seek out people to learn random lessons from. And at night he was trained in the old ways of war by his father, who could still wield a sword in arm like a hero, and who sought to pass his skills down to his son. At the time, Donal had no reason to question 'why', and simply enjoyed the opportunity to learn how to wield a mighty sword - a great sword, by his father's words - and by the time Donal was in his mid teens he was very capable.

However, when Donal was nearing young adulthood, his father disappeared. Donal's mother, Beatrice, couldn't explain it and asked her son to try and find him. There was no trace of Simun. It was a complete mystery. The young man did everything he could to find his father; he ventured into the forest and dark paths, he traveled nearby merchant roads and tried nearby towns for sightings, but it seemed Simun had just vanished. Both Donal and Beatrice were shocked, and it was with reluctance that they stopped searching, and resumed working the farm to maintain their livelihood.

It wasn't until a number of months later that Donal uncovered his father's things, buried behind one of the barns, in a chest. The chickens had clawed up the soil, which had revealed the box, and what the young man found within was surprising: his father's sword, a supposed mighty weapon of power, and some personal belongings from his adventuring days. Donal spent some time becoming familiar with them, using the items to try and find answers to his father's whereabouts, or to find any sort of clue to help - but sadly none were present, and the young man eventually gave up.

Several days later, while Donal was returning home from the tavern with his friend, <NAME>, he saw a mysterious cloaked individual that approached the farm with clear aggressive intent, by the stature and stride it stormed toward the home. Something about the form was odd, like it wasn't quite human, and Donal's instincts kicked in - he had to protect his mother. He rushed down the road, jumped the fences and burst through the front door of the farmhouse... and there, he saw his mother against the wall, the hooded figure looming above her with a dagger!

Thankfully, Donal wasn't alone, and his friend followed into the fray. There was a struggle, the three fought, and eventually the pair of young friends overpowered the mysterious invader in the hood and cloak. It gave a shriek of inhuman sound, then raced from the house in a billowing of cloak and impossibly fast footsteps. Once it was all over, Donal checked on his mother, thanked his friend, and then noticed on the ground - where the fight had taken place - was a small book. And inside, it told stories of old from another person's perspective, and also some confusing contradictions from what his father had said.

And when asked what the mysterious cloaked individual had said, if anything, Beatrice only responded with:

"The son must not become more powerful than the father. You and he will die this night by my blade."

Other Info
STR: (10+2)12 (+0)
DEX: (10+1+2+1)14 (+1)
CON: (8+2+2)12 (+0)
INT: (8+1+2)11 (+0)
WIS: (8+1+1)10 (+0)
CHA: (8+1+3)12 (+0)

Hit Dice: d10
Initiative Bonus: +1
Armor: The Heir to a Legend may wear any armor

Class Abilities:
  • Warrior-Rogues have luck beyond that of other men. They receive five Fortune Points instead of the normal three. This means that they will always be able to help their comrades, have more opportunities to reroll unfortunate dice, and be more likely to survive falling beneath 0 hit points.Fortune's Favor
  • All warriors have a favored weapon with which they are particularly skilled. Pick one weapon at first level. Your character receives a +1 to hit and +2 to damage while wielding that weapon. A warrior begins the game with this weapon for free.Weapon Specialization (Great Sword)
Traits:
  • This character loves his friends and comrades and would never betray them. No mental control of any sort can make this character harm his allies, important characters from his background, or the other PCs.Pure of Heart
Skills:
  • Command
  • Farming
  • Storytelling
Equipment:
  • Dagger
  • Peasant's Clothing
  • Your father's sword
  • Leathers
  • Single pure platinum coin
  • 15 silvers
  • Small Book

Last edited by Humble Hero; Dec 13th, 2021 at 11:48 PM.
Old Dec 9th, 2021, 10:23 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
Hey Humble Hero. Good questions. I have added responses to them all in a Q & A section in the initial post.

Last edited by Silent Rain; Dec 9th, 2021 at 10:23 PM.
Old Dec 9th, 2021, 10:48 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 194
Behelit Behelit
I've never heard of this game, but as a DCC fan creating a character with random rolls appeals to me on a very deep level, so lemme do some rolling and then I'll get an application in!
Old Dec 10th, 2021, 12:47 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3507
penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0
Anders, Assistant Beast Keeper
left-aligned image

Anders, Assistant Beast Keeper

GROWING UP: My upbringing wasn't all that strange until I was 12. My mother died when I was young, but my dad taught me to hunt and fish, made me do chores, and I loved him deeply. For fun, we went scouting with the hunters and when the trip was short and the danger level low, he would bring me along. Everyone came to him with their problems, and their kids came to me. I saw him help everyone and never ask for favors in return, he was a good man and I tried my best to copy him.

But this world is a dark, and often cruel place, especially to good men, and he was killed on one of his trips where I was not invited along, leaving me an orphan. How he was killed, and by what, no one would ever tell me. That was my first intimation that there were dark secrets outside the village, secrets that would threaten us all.

DESCRIPTION: After he was killed, I was taken in by the witch who put me to work keeping care of her pigs and other, less familiar animals. Although as a child, I had been open and cheerful, my father's death and the dark company of the witch and her secrets changed me. I became secretive and began to spy on others and learn their secrets. My chores kept me fit, though dirty and poorly clothed. The forest changed too, no longer a friendly place to find wood and hunt, but a dark and dangerous place where the villagers began to avoid.

THE STORY SO FAR: I was one of the few to still travel into it regularly as the witch required me to go out and harvest various herbs and plants, often in particular times like midnight at the dark of the moon. It was not all bad, though the forest seemed especially dark and brooking at these times. I made a friend, rescuing the cub of a she-bear that had fallen into the village well. She returned to the copse of trees outside the witch's house night after night and I developed a habit of stealing sweets for her.

One night, I slipped out of the witch's house, pulling my stained shirt tightly around me for warmth. There was a beautiful woman come to town and I waited outside the inn until I saw her leave, her arm around the miller (who I knew was married, with children). Following them, I saw them slip into the deserted mill and when the miller had fallen asleep, the woman lifted his purse and slipped away. As I turned, I heard a sound and discovered that while I spied upon her, I was not alone. The other child and I looked at each other but neither of us made a sound. Instead we followed the woman, back to the inn where she mounted a horse and rode off in the middle of the night. The next day, the news came that the miller had been found dead in his mill. Just a theft and murder or was there something more?

OTHER EVENTS: Although most reclusive and furtive without his father there, Anders kept up with the friends he had grown up with. Katrin developed as a fighter, she always had been the strongest of them. Anders was there when she entered her father's tournament disguised as a wandering knight. At first, he was the only one cheering for her, but when she revealed herself as the daughter of the village, soon the cheering spread and the whole town took her to their heart. (+1 CHA)

Another friend from childhood was Donal. Their fathers had been close friends though they hadn't been all that close as Anders had always been rooting for Katrin in their childhood games, but when both fathers disappeared, they became closer. Anders came to visit one day, Donal's mother always had fresh bread for the ever hungry teen, and he saw a craggy, cloaked stranger leaving the house. Always curious, Anders followed the stranger into the woods. Suddenly the stranger wasn't there and as Anders cast around, he felt a blade at his throat.

"Who, pray tell, are you?" The stranger had detected him following and gotten the drop on him.

"I'm Anders, I'm as assistant beast keeper. Please sir, I mean no harm. I saw you leaving my friend's house and wondered what you were up to. "

"That's not for you to know at this time, though your friend will need all the friends he can get. For now, be a bit more careful in the woods, they aren't safe. "

"Thank you . . . " Anders started to answer but the stranger was gone. He needed to tell Donal about this. (+1 WIS)

Last edited by penbeast0; Dec 11th, 2021 at 01:11 PM.
Old Dec 10th, 2021, 01:45 AM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
Hey Behelit. Looking forward to what you come up with.

Hey penbeast0. Glad you submitted an app. Looks good.
Old Dec 10th, 2021, 09:44 AM
Humble Tavernkeeper

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1514
Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand
Interested but I have a couple questions.

Do we choose our playbook then roll everything that goes with it? Or is there a roll for playbook as well?
Old Dec 10th, 2021, 10:22 AM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
Hey Hal Hammerhand. You pick the playbook you would be interested in playing, then make the rolls.
Old Dec 10th, 2021, 11:42 AM
Elegant Elven Redhead

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2114
DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair
Hi, I love the look of this, and the system looks easy to use. I fancy playing an Elder - probably a Retired Veteran. Would anyone like to be my chosen 'youngster' and get some benefits. Would probably suit a warrior type but leave it up to you.

I will sort the character application on Monday but have completed the playbook. Anyone want to gain 1Str and Defensive Fighterbut lose one Int? Been training in wrestling by an elder warrior - unusual becuase she is female!

On phone at weekends so shorter and less frequent posts.

Last edited by DebiRedHair; Dec 10th, 2021 at 12:12 PM.
Old Dec 10th, 2021, 01:33 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
Hey DebiRedHair, looking forward to reading your app.
Old Dec 10th, 2021, 03:39 PM
Humble Tavernkeeper

Tools
User Statistics
Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand
I'm going with a nobleman's wild daughter, and she's a bruiser. Looking for a gruff sergeant that would train her in toughness and battle axe, debi's character? Or perhaps a mercenary that works for her parents and would train her in longsword?

Also, looking for a friend who led the cheer at the tourney, +2 cha.

Last edited by Hal Hammerhand; Dec 10th, 2021 at 06:51 PM.
Old Dec 10th, 2021, 03:45 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0
Happy to cheer for you, Hal. Just need a name.

Donal, if you are also missing a father who disappeared and looking for clues, Anders was spying with a friend on a visitor to the village (dex bonus I believe). IF you are interested, post it here or PM me and I'll double check the details.

Last edited by penbeast0; Dec 10th, 2021 at 03:48 PM.
Old Dec 10th, 2021, 03:48 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 743
Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun
im going with a future warlord
Old Dec 10th, 2021, 05:47 PM
Humble Tavernkeeper

Tools
User Statistics
Kylana Heartstone:
right-aligned image

Name:
Stats:
STR: 14 (+1)
DEX: 12 (+0)
CON: 12 (+0)
INT: 8 (-1)
WIS: 11 (+0)
CHA: 14 (+1)

HP: d10
AC: 14
Initiative: +2

Skills:
Animal Ken
Politics
Etiquette

Knack:
Fleet - +1 initiative

Weapon Specialization:
Battle Axe - +1 to attack, +2 to damage

Trait:
Unarmed Combat - 1d4 unarmed

Gear:
Battle axe (d8)
Dagger (d4)
Stashed Dress
Chainmail (+4)
Tabard of Heartstone
Fine boots
A worn treasure map
17 silver pieces
Katrin Heartstone
Playbook: The Nobleman's Wild Daughter

Description: Katrin is quite tall for her age, around six foot and four inches and to her father's misfortune, built quite masculine, even to the point, when wearing full armor and a helmet, she is easily mistaken for a man. She has light blonde hair that she keeps trimmed pretty short. She has focused eyes that sit under a strong brow, fair skin and strong facial features. Except for the time when she joined the Tourney that her father threw, she prefers chainmail armor with fine leather boots that reach mid-calf and she carries a battle axe that she has used more than once.

Personality: Katrin is stubborn and headstrong, sometimes passionate and leaps before she looks. When she discovers the solution to a problem, even if it's not the best solution, she jumps right in. Her mentor teased her often so her skin is thicker and she knows better than to let words get the better of her and it takes a lot for someone to goad her into losing her temper. She is willing to fight for others but sometimes she fights for the sake of fighting, always seeking to win the approval and respect of her father and the other men around her.

History: Katrin was born into an easy life, too easy for her tastes as she grew older. Her father, Baliff Heartstone, was known to be a purveyor of some of the finest horses in the entire kingdom. She grew up loving horses and helping to take care of them quite often as a young girl and as anyone knows, that isn't a task for those weak of body and this was how it all started, her physique was never lacking in muscle. As she grew and got bigger and stronger-looking than most of the other kids her age, fights happened often. Every boy who felt Katrin was just a little too intimidating for a girl felt the need to challenge her to a brawl. She wasn't easily goaded into a fight, she knew she was different than other girls but when a boy wanted a fight, she didn't back down and she always won out in the end.

Every time, no matter if it was a brawl or a footrace, Win or lose, her father never seemed proud of her and this only made her try even harder. When the pressure got to be too much, as it often did, the reproachful looks or the exasperated sighs, Katrin found a place to work off the frustration. Oftentimes, she spent hours with the local blacksmith who forged the shoes for her family's horses and the constant clang of hammer to metal made it hard to talk about her problems, she found herself working hard and inadvertently building more muscle. When she finally wandered from the blacksmith's forge, her muscles ached from the work.

In her late teenage years, she found herself spending less time tending to handsome suitors and more time wandering the barracks and this is where she often heard her war stories. This is where she also caught the attention of her father's sergeant of the house guard, Renald Guthart. He would tease her a little too often about her size and how she could likely best any of the guards under his command. His words hid a respect for Katrin and in time he would set time aside to train her in the ways of combat, secretly, of course since he knew Lord Heartstone would not approve. The fact that Katrin became a formidable fighter and that the gruff sergeant seemed to favor her caused a rift between her and the other guards she spent any kind if time with, making it hard to earn their respect. She never understood why it was hard for men to respect a woman who was strong but a chance to earn their respect finally presented itself.

Her father threw a grand tournament that summer. Katrin had asked her childhood friend, Anders to help her sneak into it so she could compete and hopefully finally earn the respect of everyone. Anders helped her steal a suit of armor and a helmet and she cut her once-medium length blonde hair so it wouldn't flow out of the helmet. In her disguise it wasn't hard to believe she was a wandering knight and a man, as well. She fought hard in the first event, a melee of sorts between all the competitors on the field at once. She outfought everyone and was the last one standing but when called up to claim her reward from Lord Heartstone, she was hesitant to take off her helmet for fear that she would be disqualified for being a woman and for being the Lord's daughter. After her excuses didn't work and she took off her helmet, the crowd gasped and her father reeled back as if he had been slapped. Then it started, as a low murmur in the crowd, her name chanted over and over, the chant started by her friend, Anders. The Lord could do little except appease the masses and let her continue to compete. She entered a wrestling competition and caught the eye of Anya of the White Rose. Katrin began training with Anya but she came up against a more experienced opponent and lost the bout but she didn't let that get her down. No matter in the end, since the men in her life still saw her as less than a man and not pretty or demure enough to be a woman, different and confusing.

Despite her growing reputation among the people, Katrin was suddenly restricted to the manor for a time. She took this time, after chafing against her father's orders, to wander the manor, exploring places she hadn't in her childhood. It was one day when she had wandered deeper into the crypts beneath the manner than she ever had before when she found a old box tucked away in one of the rafters and upon opening it, she found a worn old treasure map that showed the location of a treasure in the North.

Last edited by Hal Hammerhand; Dec 13th, 2021 at 12:49 PM.
Old Dec 10th, 2021, 06:24 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Go Katrin Go!