Old Dec 10th, 2021, 06:40 PM
No, have a great day!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 697
Humble Hero Humble Hero Humble Hero Humble Hero Humble Hero Humble Hero
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebiRedHair View Post
Hi, I love the look of this, and the system looks easy to use. I fancy playing an Elder - probably a Retired Veteran. Would anyone like to be my chosen 'youngster' and get some benefits. Would probably suit a warrior type but leave it up to you.

I will sort the character application on Monday but have completed the playbook. Anyone want to gain 1Str and Defensive Fighterbut lose one Int? Been training in wrestling by an elder warrior - unusual becuase she is female!
Donal loves learning things/skills/lessons from others, and could have been your trainee for wrestling? He's also been trained to fight by his legendary hero father, so could provide specialization lessons if you need.

But yeah, I could use a str bump, and I rolled enough int to lose one haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by penbeast0 View Post
Donal, if you are also missing a father who disappeared and looking for clues, Anders was spying with a friend on a visitor to the village (dex bonus I believe). IF you are interested, post it here or PM me and I'll double check the details.
We can pair up for that, definitely. You can also gain a +1 wis, if you meet or met the stranger! Maybe Anders followed and caught up, and was told something secret or mysterious? It won't be Donal's father, but someone from his past who knew about the old heroic days.

Last edited by Humble Hero; Dec 10th, 2021 at 09:17 PM.
Old Dec 11th, 2021, 04:37 AM
E X N O X L U X

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6842
ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex
Okay, okay, with a 1-2 post/week rate, maaaaybe I can make it work?

Posting: Please expect erratic posting until Feb :'(

Last edited by ElderOblex; Dec 11th, 2021 at 09:25 AM.
Old Dec 11th, 2021, 07:15 AM
Elegant Elven Redhead

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2114
DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair
Retired Veteran Anya White Rose
You’ve had your fill of war. When you were a younger woman, you went campaigning far from home, fighting for lords and generals. Now you have settled in the village, ready for a quieter life. There are these kids around though, and someone has to teach them to look after themselves.
Character Name: Anya of the White Rose

Playbook: Retired veteran
right-aligned image

Description: With blonde hair, usually braided and put up, bright blue eyes that never cease to search for the next foe and a tight mouth, Anya is no beauty. 5'6" tall, 100 lbs, and with a slim, yet curvy figure she is clearly very fit and used to the outdoors from the lithe nature of her body and the sun-tanned skin. The cicatrice of scars that cover her give an indication to what she has done in the past. She invariably wears breehes and a fitted top, and workmanlike boots and will slip into armour at any opportunity. This is clearly that of a veteran being functional without any ornamentation, and covered with the small marks that show it has been repaired. Her Axe, Hakar, is similar. A brutal thing made for killing; and it seems perfect in her hands.

Personality: Anya is a guarded and close lipped person. She keeps herself to herself, tells no-one anything about how she is feeling and moves through life as if she is preparing for a battle. She is often alone: she likes to train hard, to sit quietly by the river and think of those she has lost and to enjoy the countryside.

She finds people annoying: their petty concerns do not seem worth concerning yourself with after the horrors she has seen and experienced. Having been raped when she was captured in the war, she holds no-one close and has avoided any form of romantic relationship since her return to the village. Anyone how tries to get inside her comfort zone is likely to be rebuffed physically if they will not take the verbal cues, and the nightmares she has at night mean she is always a little mean.

When she is working for her father, she is quiet and diligent; but she comes alive when she is training the militia or meeting with her friends from.the Company. She becomes animated and forceful showing her ability to lead others.

She is not an easy person to know; but those around her notice that she is highly protective of everyone, particularly Katrin, and wants the best for them all. She knows what horror is and is keen for them to avoid it.

History: Anya Berryman was raised in the village. Her father, Peter, is one of the craftsmen who made the place work, and her mother, Leah, keeps home and makes sure that the local spinners provide him.with the thread he needs to weave into cloth. One of four, Anya joined the business as a child working the loom, cutting and twisting the threat into fine cloth. Her brother, Peter
Jr is 4 years older and her twin sisters, Lisette and Julia, 6 years younger. She was an empathetic child, and many came to talk to her as they went through their teens, finding her a good shoulder to cry on. She loved to make pretty new cloth designs and have them made up into dresses to wear to dances and was a popular girl who was expected to marry well.

6 years ago, she turned 18 and was sent by her father to live with his sister and learn some advanced Weaving techniques. Anya's aunt lives in a larger town about 50 miles away, and when war broke out against the wave of northern barbarians that invaded the Kingdom a year later, news arrived that pleased Peter and horrified Leah. Anya had enlisted in the Company of the White Rose.

The whole village listened out for news of the Company once they knew one of their own was in it. The first news was of a heavy defeat, with many of the Company killed, yet the news was that Anya lived, and had been promoted to Sergeant. The war continued and the Company won renown. Anya commanded Standard Guard Guard of the company becoming expert in the use of the Great Axe. In the final battle of the war, 3 years later, Anya distinguished herself by defeating the enemy champion in single combat and was again promoted to Lieutenant. The villagers imagined that she would remain in the Company but, to their surprise, the Company was disbanded and she returned home.

The woman who returned 2 years ago, strode back into the village at the end of a day with the mile-eating gait of the soldier. The Great Axe, Hakar, across her back, the blue tabard with a White Rose and the double bronze torc of her rank marked her as a professional, the lean body with scarred arms and the 1000 yard stare in her eyes as a veteran. She was welcomed as a hero, and then quietly left to herself. She returned to weaving, but every morning trained herself in preparation. She no longer wore dresses, she had an intensity that Frightened people and she screamed at night. Her father is intensely proud of his daughter, the heroine, whilst her mother mourns the loss of her girl. She brought back the advanced Weaving techniques she had left to learn meaning that the family business makes more cloth, more quickly and is making more money which pleases both parents.

At first, she stayed alone. But then she was visited by hard men and women who has served with her, and went to the tavern. The stories told on those occasions mean that the innkeep gives her drinks in exchange for stories of the war. Stories that have built the legend and her reputation. She serves in the militia as a Sergeant, training them as she once trained the Company and has shown the villagers she is someone who is as hard as nails. Not faster, not stronger but with a mental attitude that brooks no defiance. On one occasion, she saw Dinald speaking to an older man from.outside the villag who she knew was a buyer of her father's cloth.. She wandered over and bought them.both a drink. They spent q good evening talking and Donald became someone she watched over. (+1 Cha)

She has become a mentor to many, who seek to learn her skills. She trains anyone who will pay her, but one youngster , Katrin, is a special friend. When they entered the annual wrestling competition, they came to her for training. She knew that they were forced to do so against their will and took pity on the. She agreed to help with training. Despite all she could do, Katrin lost but the two have remained friends and training partners, often seen sparring with their great axes.

Anya holds dear an old map which she holds for the members of the White Rose. Taken from the body of the champion she slew in their final battle, it purports to show the location of a great treasure. The dream of the Company is to locate that treasure but there has been no opportunity to do so.

For now, she rises each day from a dream of an unknown horror, runs 10 miles in her armour and carrying her kit, works all day at the loom, then goes to the practice yard to train and spar. She etches and prepares. Something is coming. Something bad!

Final Results
STR: (8+2+1)11
DEX: (8+2+0)10
CON: (10+1+1)12
INT: (10+1)11
WIS: (8+2)10
CHA: (8+1+2+2+1+1)15

Hit Dice: d10
Initiative Bonus: +3
Armor: Any
Skills: Command, Tactics, Weaving
Knacks: Defensive Fighter (+1AC)
Weapon Specialization: Great Axe (+1 to hit, +2 damage)
Traits:Combat Expertise
Equipment:
  • Dagger
  • Peasant's Clothing
  • an old military tabard
  • Great Axe (Hakar)
  • leathers (+2 AC)
  • a shield (+1 AC) (If chosen need to sort)
  • 17 silvers
  • an old treasure map

On phone at weekends so shorter and less frequent posts.

Last edited by DebiRedHair; Dec 15th, 2021 at 03:12 AM.
Old Dec 11th, 2021, 08:52 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3507
penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0
Quote:
We can pair up for that, definitely. You can also gain a +1 wis, if you meet or met the stranger! Maybe Anders followed and caught up, and was told something secret or mysterious? It won't be Donal's father, but someone from his past who knew about the old heroic days.
Since I already wrote the encounter and it involved spying without interaction (and can't really see Anders talking to a beautiful stranger in his current shy teenager stage), I guess I'll have to forgo the wisdom bonus. Maybe Donal's father and Anders' father went seeking together on the expedition that they both died on. Even if we don't get a stat bonus for it, lol.

Last edited by penbeast0; Dec 11th, 2021 at 08:52 AM.
Old Dec 11th, 2021, 08:53 AM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14748
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
No worries, ElderOblex. Thanks for taking the time to check out the game.

Looking good so far, DebiRedHair.

FYI, I have add an applicant chart to the bottom of the initial post.
Old Dec 11th, 2021, 09:51 AM
No, have a great day!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 697
Humble Hero Humble Hero Humble Hero Humble Hero Humble Hero Humble Hero
Quote:
Originally Posted by penbeast0 View Post
Since I already wrote the encounter and it involved spying without interaction (and can't really see Anders talking to a beautiful stranger in his current shy teenager stage), I guess I'll have to forgo the wisdom bonus. Maybe Donal's father and Anders' father went seeking together on the expedition that they both died on. Even if we don't get a stat bonus for it, lol.
It's not a beautiful stranger, it's a craggy older man in a cloak. But that's okay, I figured we could weave the two events together, so the stat improvement isn't lost, but I'll defer to your call.

It could always have been another time, when the pair were sneaking around? Again, entirely up to you!
Old Dec 11th, 2021, 10:26 AM
Humble Tavernkeeper

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1514
Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand
@debiredhair: is katrin a potential pupil or no? Longsword or axe?

Last edited by Hal Hammerhand; Dec 11th, 2021 at 10:50 AM.
Old Dec 11th, 2021, 10:38 AM
Humble Tavernkeeper

Tools
User Statistics
Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand
@Penbeast: also, for a little more background, katrin's father threw a tourney. Katrin entered In secret and when she revealed herself as a girl, she won the affection of the crowd. The friend she took with her started the cheers in the crowd.
Old Dec 11th, 2021, 10:55 AM
Elegant Elven Redhead

Tools
User Statistics
DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair
Hal, Katrin could be a pupil anyway. She could also be the one who was taught to wrestle. I am working on History now so let me know. Whoever gets taught to wrestle gets +2 Str and Defensive Fighting but loses 1 Int.

Old Dec 11th, 2021, 11:32 AM
Elegant Elven Redhead

Tools
User Statistics
Hi all. Those youngsters intending to apply. Who would like to be the X in my story. I can add more once wee agree who. But now you have some idea of who you are linked to and can build her into your story. I have built Katrin into.mine for now as she seems the sort who Arya would take to, but will rework if that does not work for @Hal Hammerhand

Last edited by DebiRedHair; Dec 11th, 2021 at 12:17 PM.
Old Dec 11th, 2021, 12:11 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3507
penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble Hero View Post
It's not a beautiful stranger, it's a craggy older man in a cloak. But that's okay, I figured we could weave the two events together, so the stat improvement isn't lost, but I'll defer to your call.

It could always have been another time, when the pair were sneaking around? Again, entirely up to you!
I will create a second encounter, looking at the two encounters, they aren't a great fit. Are you supposed to be there? In your post, it sounded like the stranger got away without talking to you. I added this and Katrin's tournament to my character post and can retrofit if needed.

I also retrofitted the origin story when I reread the rules and saw we could change one roll to make him an orphan rather than having his father since it seemed a better fit for the witch growing a strong attachment to Anders. He was an orphan with a heroic father either way, but this seems both a better fit and a little more like the personality I am trying to bring out.

Last edited by penbeast0; Dec 11th, 2021 at 02:03 PM.
Old Dec 11th, 2021, 03:08 PM
Humble Tavernkeeper

Tools
User Statistics
@DebiRedHair: I shall write you into my story! I feel like it would fit nicely!
Old Dec 11th, 2021, 03:13 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3193
Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles
The Swords Books were such a great read back in the day. The hidden SciFi twist was great, and I loved all the unique swords and their powers.

I wish I had time to play in it.
Old Dec 11th, 2021, 03:58 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14748
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
Hey Mrjoegangles, thanks for checking out the game. Glad to hear you're a fan of the series.
Old Dec 11th, 2021, 04:40 PM
Phial of Babel

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11717
GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT
Na'naya
right-aligned image

Character name Na'naya suth'Tivanrath

Playbook Witch's Prentice

Description & Personality I don't really care about the shape of my face or the length of my smile or the eyes you let linger on them. I don't care about the curls that stray across my eyes as I'm hunting herbs or mixing dried powders or looking deep under the slow-moving water of the stream while light shifts through the arms of the trees and their fingered leaves by Angosta's - no, she is in the ground now - my hut. The brightness of my eyes are not for you unless you've need of my touch to mend a wound or bend a curse or right a wrong. My eyes are for the far-ness, my fingers light upon the string of some weave tracing a pattern you can not see, tending a bubbling still secreted in a hollow of a rock with a trickle of cold clear water that collects in a depression at its top, the wind swirling leaves to speak secrets.

My laugh is rough, a burst of guts from my lips, a snort and swallow. I do not cover my face with my hand but let it rumble out, eyes half-moons of delight, the back a hand wiping away snot from my upper lip. I seem coarse yet smell of the flowers of the dells and trees of the bright places. If you see me, I will see you. If you do not and instead linger upon what is not yours to covet then I will bite away your words with an insult or cleverness that is enough to provide a reprieve from your presence.

And if you be a friend, I will turn over the soil of every silent place in the forest to find a cure for what ails you or risk my soul against a conjuring far above my skill to protect you. I will chance demons and spirits, fae bargains and games, old gods and new. I will do everything and anything. Even trade my smile and terrible laugh to a dark river goddess for a chance to mend what you have broken.

I am Na'naya of the old tongue. And in me runs the blood of magic ancient. Land. Sky. Water. Fire.

Angosta was mine and I was hers until fate cut what should have remained.

History

The door shakes upon its iron hinges as Na'naya shoves it open and stalks out into the yard. Her father, Enil, is close behind. His footsteps are hard upon the ground despite his size. His breathing a gout of temper.

"YOU WILL MARRY," he yells at Na'naya as she crosses the yard. She pays him no mind. Ignoring him as only a daughter can. He was a merchant and a good one. His deals were solid, usually balanced for both party's gains, but shrewd nonetheless. Na'naya had learned the art of the deal from him. How to make an approach, how to make them smile, how to draw them in and then, once that was done, how to pitch a sale or promise. At the moment, all of such lay forgotten at his feet as he yelled after his only daughter whom he secured a good marriage to the miller's son. He yells at her again, standing with his hands on his hips in the door of their good house.

"YOU. WILL. MARRY."

Na'naya doesn't look back as she slips over the hill, down the lane, and eventually into the trees. It takes her so long to calm down that she is nearly at the Witch's hut, her hut, before she slows and then slumps to sit upon a wet rotting stump. It gives a little under her weight and eventually, the damp will soak through her dress, but she doesn't care.

How could he broker her marriage to that dullard, stupid, lumbering, ox of a boy? There were so many other more worthy unions. Sure, none were as rich or as beneficial of having her marriage to the Scion of the Only Mill in Forty Leagues. She hears her father say those last words. They ring in her ears and the argument of last night thrums again in her chest. Her throat tightens and she doesn't hold it back. Na'naya wasn't one to bury anything, whether it be tenderness, hate, respect or loathing. Sitting on the rotten stump, the damp finally reaching through her dress to the skin of the back of her legs, Na'naya lets the crying take her and she shudders under its weight. The forest goes quiet. High above her the trees murmur support but it is a soft thing of leaves and burdens.

In time, the crying runs its course and she takes the last few shuddering breaths before she gets to her feet. Like most things, the crying doesn't last long. It must happen, but it doesn't linger. Angosta taught her that. Control was a thing of practice, a thing of character, and a thing anyone who can call upon the world and let out its power must master.

She moves with grace through the undergrowth without the need to keep an eye on the ground. Angosta's hut is tucked into an arch of old oaks, its doorway juts out into a small meadow and the sun. She can hear the Witch's voice rumble through her head.

"We must stand across the Shadow and the Light. Never too far to one side or the other Girl. Lest we falter and tear the Balance of Things."

In the sun of the meadow's center, Na'naya stops and looks at the blue door of her House of the Wood. Angosta was dead now a seven-day. Na'naya carried her alone deep into the forest, performed the rights in a language the Witch had taught her, and buried her shallow so the land would consume her and return her to Everything. She held the vigil for three days and three nights as is custom, calling the Mist from deep places to shroud the ceremony. She should have had fear in the doing of it, but there was none. Whatever Dark Thing that had come to take her soul that night was gone. Banished by Angosta.

It cost the Witch her life. She gave it for Na'naya. Free and honest.

It didn't matter what the villagers muttered under their breath or the looks they gave Angosta after seeking her counsel. Or how their eyes turned small once the smiles they gave Na'naya faltered when she had moved away. Angosta was more than a mentor and teacher. She had been a friend. And now she was gone and her House was Na'naya's, as well as everything the Witch had been.

The miller's son would rot before Na'naya would stand under the Arch and be tied by ribbon and cord to his family. She was of Other Places no matter how hard her Father tried to disregard the touch of her mother's line upon Na'naya's soul. And she had a choice even as a merchant's daughter. A voice. And magic.

This and ThatSTR: 9 (+0)
DEX: 12 (+0)
CON: 10 (+0)
INT: 11 (+0)
WIS: 14 (+1)
CHA: 17 (+2)

Hit Dice: d6 HP:
Initiative Bonus: +0 BAB: +0
Armor: 10
Saves: Fortitude: 16 Reflex: 16 Will: 15

Traits/Skills:
  • Characters must be of Neutral alignment to take this Trait. This character stands apart from the eternal struggle between Law and Chaos and gains a +4 bonus to all saving throws to defend against the magical powers of supernatural creatures of Law and Chaos, such as angels and demons.Defender of the Balance
  • Brewing
  • Haggling
  • Being naturally sensitive to the world of magic, Mages may determine if a person, place, or thing is magical. Doing so requires concentration and a few minutes, so mages cannot tell if something is magical simply by being in its presence, and people tend to notice if a mage is staring at them intently and ignoring his food during a meal. The GM may rule that, when in the presence of particularly intense sorcery, the mage notices such immediately.Sense Magic

Spells/Rituals:
  • Range: Near
    Duration: 1 hour/level
    Save: no

This ritual allows a mage to summon a dense, billowing fog over a nearby area. The mist obscures all vision into the area and within it; those trapped in the mists can barely see anything. Normal weather does not affect this witch fog, though a very strong wind from a great storm might blow it away.

A mage wanting to cast this ritual must chant in the tongue of the wind and perform elaborate gestures for the hour it takes to cast it, and must burn incense while doing so. At the culmination of the ritual, he must swallow the tail feather of a bird of prey as he speaks the last words.
    Gather Mists
    Duration: 2 rounds/level
    Save: yes
    The caster of this spell moves and speaks with terrible authority and causes his enemies to quail before him. The caster may turn his baleful will toward any one opponent per round for the duration of the spell, causing the target to run, hide, or cower for the remaining duration of the spell. A successful saving throw on the part of the target negates the spell.
    Terrifying Presence
    Duration: Concentration
    Save: yes
    By speaking ancient words of power, the caster calls forth an image. These ghostly images appear real but have no substance. They make sounds roughly appropriate to the type of image created, but are incapable of any sort of intelligent speech or thought. The phantasms will endure until the mage’s concentration is broken. Viewers who have a probable reason to believe that the images might not be real may make a saving throw versus spell; success means that they recognize the shapes as only empty visions. This spell cannot create an image larger than around the size of a horse, nor can it create more than three separate images at a time.
    Greater Illusion
  • Mages with this cantrip are illusionists, able to conjure silent images. These illusions are simple visions with no depth or weight. Normal use of this cantrip produces the image of a small, immobile object of unimpressive design.

A mage may produce larger or more detailed images by taking a -2 penalty. Creating moving illusions is even harder, and gives a -4 penalty.
    Glamour Weaving
  • The caster fixes the target with his will and utters a curse. The caster must specify an action such as “strike with a sword,” “climb a tree,” or “talk to a noble,” and the victim then receives a -1 to his next roll involving this type of action.

The caster may utter a stronger curse, giving his victim a -2 to his roll instead, but must take a -3 penalty to do so. The caster may take a -6 penalty to have this cantrip affect the victim until the next sun-up or sundown.
    Hexing

Equipment:
D: 1d6 R: 5'Witch's Charred Staff
D: 1d4 R: 20'/60', light, thrownDagger
Simple clothing

14 Silver

Last edited by GeneT; Dec 13th, 2021 at 09:33 PM.