RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Dec 12th, 2021, 02:07 PM
Humble Tavernkeeper

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1514
Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand
So, what does Katrin get for being Anya's pupil?
Old Dec 12th, 2021, 02:18 PM
The Archfriend.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21231
The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen
Branwen
right-aligned image
You were found in swaddling clothes beneath an ancient standing stone near the village, a fae token on your breast. Some of the villagers were kind and took you in to raise you as their own. You have a natural gift with magic and, while some are still distrustful of your strange appearance, you have made fast friends with some of the other village children.

Character name: Branwen
Playbook: The Village - The Fae Foundling
Description & Personality: A willowy young woman with large, expressive eyes and an ethereal quality about her, Branwen is introverted and introspective, but quick to connect with others emotionally. Though she appears frail, she has an internal strength that's hard to quantify, and is wise for her young years. She's much more comfortable in the back of a crowd, supporting and advising, than she is leading or being the center of attention.

She is of slight build, with long, straight, raven-black hair and luminous eyes. Her skin is fair, despite a lifetime of working outdoors, and though she seldom speaks without being spoken too, her voice is richer than most would expect. Though young, she seems to have a timeless quality about her, making her age difficult to guess.

History: Branwen was found as a baby on an ancient menhir by a local shepherd, Pryderi, and his wife Lunete. The only clue to her identity or origins was a carved stone rose on her swaddle clothing when she was found. Recognizing that the baby had been left by the fae, with the rose as payment, they took in the baby and raised her as their own.

As a young girl growing up, Branwen would often accompany her adopted father as he led the sheep out onto the mountain, and spend the day watching the sheep and talking about many things with Pryderi. Other days she would spend with Lunete, learning womanly crafts. Though she grew up among the other villagers, everyone knew her heritage and origins, with most keeping a cautious distance from Branwen, or shutting her out completely. A handful of children roughly her age were her companions, along with a grizzled old mercenary who'd settled down after retirement. The old man took a liking to the shy, strange child, and taught Branwen some basics of fighting and defense, recognizing that her differences and quiet nature might make her a target for some, as well as a wildness to her movements and expressions, as if someone had brought a beast in from the woods and taught it some tricks, but always it sought escape and freedom.

When a babe went missing one winter, suspicious villagers whispered that Branwen had taken it back to her faerie family. Fortunately, one of Branwen's friends reminded everyone that she had always been fair and kind, and indeed many had sought out her empathy and insight when nobody else could help. The villagers relented, for though Branwen might be different, they did not truly believe her malicious. Quite the opposite, for despite her fae heritage, the people of the town found her presence peculiarly comforting and reassuring, and could not bring themselves to bear ill will against the girl.

As Branwen came of age, the fae side of her nature truly revealed itself, and the young girl found herself capable of wielding magic on instinct. Though some feared that the girl would curse the crops, or burn the town down, her magic was actually a blessing to many, for she was able to conjure forth wonderful illusions from thin air, or inspire and bolster her friends and allies. Hunters in particular appreciated the boon to their courage, skill, and fortune, and both children and tavern-goers alike delighted when she agreed to cast her illusions to assist in the telling of a story.
OOCSTR: 9 (+0)
DEX: 14 (+1)
CON: 17 (+2)
INT: 10 (+0)
WIS: 14 (+1)
CHA: 8 (-1)

Hit Dice: d8 HP: 10
Initiative Bonus: +2 BAB: +1
Armor: Leather AC: 13
Saves: Fortitude: 15 Reflex: 16 Will: 16

Traits/Skills: While Fortune Points ordinarily only return after a full adventure, this character’s presence is so warm and tinged with the simple pleasures of home that she and her companions all regain a single Fortune Point after a good night’s sleep, such as when resting in a safe inn and not having to keep watch.Reassuring Presence, Survival, Being naturally sensitive to the world of magic, Warrior-Mages may determine if a person, place, or thing is magical. Doing so requires concentration and a few minutes, so Warrior-mages cannot tell if something is magical simply by being in its presence, and people tend to notice if a mage is staring at them intently and ignoring his food during a meal. The GM may rule that, when in the presence of particularly intense sorcery, the Warrior-mage notices such immediately.Sense Magic.

Knacks:
+1 InitiativeFleet

Spells:
Range: Near
Duration: Concentration
Save: yes
By speaking ancient words of power, the caster calls forth an image. These ghostly images appear real but have no substance. They make sounds roughly appropriate to the type of image created, but are incapable of any sort of intelligent speech or thought. The phantasms will endure until the mage’s concentration is broken. Viewers who have a probable reason to believe that the images might not be real may make a saving throw versus spell; success means that they recognize the shapes as only empty visions. This spell cannot create an image larger than around the size of a horse, nor can it create more than three separate images at a time.
Greater Illusion
Range: Near
Duration: 3 rounds/level
Save: no
The caster calls mystical power to aid himself and his allies, increasing their skill, bravery, and fortune. The caster and all allies within range gain +1 to Hit and +1 to all saving throws.
Inspiration

Equipment:
D: 1d8 R: 600'1200', two-handedLong Bow
20 Arrows
D: 1d4 R: 20'/60', light, thrownDagger
Peasants’ clothing
+2 ACLeathers
15 silvers
A stone carving of a rose

Last edited by The Rat Queen; Jan 5th, 2022 at 01:22 AM.
Old Dec 12th, 2021, 02:19 PM
Humble Tavernkeeper

Tools
User Statistics
Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand
Alright, I think my application is complete and most likely have my character sheet breakdown correct too.
Old Dec 12th, 2021, 02:29 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14871
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
Hey Rat Queen, glad you're putting an app together. Let me know if you have any questions.

I see that a bunch of apps have been completed. I will begin reviewing them on Monday and provide any feedback questions I might have.

A note on the connections between characters: I think it's great that everyone works though which other character would fit into their background, just bare in mind that I can only accept so many players, so these connections might need to be tweaked once final selections are made.
Old Dec 12th, 2021, 02:33 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 197
Zangul Zangul
Best of luck everyone. This does sound fun.
Old Dec 12th, 2021, 02:35 PM
Elegant Elven Redhead

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2324
DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Hammerhand View Post
So, what does Katrin get for being Anya's pupil?
+2 Str and Defensive Fighter; -1 Int

On phone at weekends so shorter and less frequent posts.
Old Dec 12th, 2021, 06:05 PM
Humble Tavernkeeper

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Rain View Post
A note on the connections between characters: I think it's great that everyone works though which other character would fit into their background, just bare in mind that I can only accept so many players, so these connections might need to be tweaked once final selections are made.
Wait? You can't take all of us?
Old Dec 12th, 2021, 06:39 PM
E X N O X L U X

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7358
ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gryff Voswall.png
Views:	55
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	93470  

Posting: Please expect erratic posting until Feb :'(

Last edited by ElderOblex; Dec 13th, 2021 at 10:45 PM.
Old Dec 12th, 2021, 07:08 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14871
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
Latest batch of apps are shaping up great.
Old Dec 12th, 2021, 08:34 PM
Catchphrase!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1062
Humble Hero Humble Hero Humble Hero Humble Hero Humble Hero Humble Hero Humble Hero Humble Hero
@Silent Rain: I just adjusted my character, as I was missing some skills that I didn't add, also I have opted to adjust 1 result, to better provide a strong story hook (mysterious hooded creature that tried to kill Donal and his mother). As a result, his Wisdom has dropped by 1, and his Strength increased by 2.

I also took Pure of Heart for the free creation trait!

Others: I have left a placeholder in my background (indicated by <NAME>), which I'm happy to adjust and include someone for the +1 Str boost for helping in the scuffle, assuming I get into the game!

Last edited by Humble Hero; Dec 12th, 2021 at 08:37 PM.
Old Dec 12th, 2021, 10:13 PM
Humble Tavernkeeper

Tools
User Statistics
@humble hero: I dont want to steal all the connections but my character, katrin loves to scuffle
If someone else fits better, that's fine too

Last edited by Hal Hammerhand; Dec 12th, 2021 at 10:14 PM.
Old Dec 12th, 2021, 11:16 PM
Catchphrase!

Tools
User Statistics
Humble Hero Humble Hero Humble Hero Humble Hero Humble Hero Humble Hero Humble Hero Humble Hero
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Hammerhand View Post
@humble hero: I dont want to steal all the connections but my character, katrin loves to scuffle
If someone else fits better, that's fine too
I just saw penbeast0 added the interaction with Donal, so I'll keep it available for Anders (assuming penbeast0 is okay with the situation change from a Wis bonus to a Str one), and if not then we can see who else might fit.

@penbeast0: the only real change to the situation is we fought some hooded/cloaked non-human entity that tried to kill Donal's mother, Beatrice, and then Donal in their home - and we arrived and fought it off. Here's the bit I wrote for it:

Quote:
Several days later, while Donal was returning home from the tavern with his friend, <NAME>, he saw a mysterious cloaked individual that approached the farm with clear aggressive intent, by the stature and stride it stormed toward the home. Something about the form was odd, like it wasn't quite human, and Donal's instincts kicked in - he had to protect his mother. He rushed down the road, jumped the fences and burst through the front door of the farmhouse... and there, he saw his mother against the wall, the hooded figure looming above her with a dagger!

Thankfully, Donal wasn't alone, and his friend followed into the fray. There was a struggle, the three fought, and eventually the pair of young friends overpowered the mysterious invader in the hood and cloak. It gave a shriek of inhuman sound, then raced from the house in a billowing of cloak and impossibly fast footsteps. Once it was all over, Donal checked on his mother, thanked his friend, and then noticed on the ground - where the fight had taken place - was a small book. And inside, it told stories of old from another person's perspective, and also some confusing contradictions from what his father had said.
I adjusted it because I wanted a bit more of a meaningful story hook (a baddie out for revenge), and Donal's Str was low. Let me know if that still works for you, Pen!
Old Dec 13th, 2021, 10:40 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3557
penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0
I'm fine, I prefer WIS to STR but I figure we will adjust them all at the end based on who is and isn't in the game and I'm more into the story line than the stats. I'm an assistant beast keeper, I'm not supposed to be good at anything, lol.
Old Dec 13th, 2021, 12:54 PM
Catchphrase!

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by penbeast0 View Post
I'm fine, I prefer WIS to STR but I figure we will adjust them all at the end based on who is and isn't in the game and I'm more into the story line than the stats. I'm an assistant beast keeper, I'm not supposed to be good at anything, lol.
Definitely! I had planned to keep all rolls, regardless of result... but I couldn't pass up the chance to create a creature hellbent on revenge for Donal. In my mind, I see a ringwraith, just nightmarish and humanoid but lacking 'something human'.

I'm also excited to see the swords and how the journey unfolds with them, or to find them.
Old Dec 13th, 2021, 02:20 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3557
penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0
I really don't remember the Saberhagen stories though I know I read a few, though I remember Empire of the East quite well. But when I saw a playbook for Assistant Beast Keeper, the Chronicles of Prydain stories I hadn't read since middle school popped into my head and I knew I had to try it.

Last edited by penbeast0; Dec 13th, 2021 at 02:24 PM.