Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11408
kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel
Frozen Tears for Icewind Dale

Game Name
Frozen Tears for Icewind Dale
Rime of the Frostmaiden

Game StatusUpdated on January 10th 2022: The deadline for applications has now passed.

Game SystemDnD 5e

SettingForgotten Realms

FlavorExploration, survival, isolation, mild horror, bonds, heroism

Theme"If the world is cold, make it your business to build fires."
- Horace Traubel

Plot Summary
left-aligned image

North of the Spine of the World and west of the towering Reghed Glacier is a frigid expanse few dare to explore, let alone inhabit. This icy land of windswept tundra recently became locked in a perpetual, dark winter without reprieve. Auril the Frostmaiden, the divine embodiment of winter's fury, has withdrawn to this cold corner of the world to live among mortals. Further, she has cast a terrible spell over Icewind Dale, to the detriment of most of its denizens.

Each night before midnight, Auril takes to the sky and weaves her spell, which manifests as a shimmering curtain of light—a beautiful aurora that illuminates the night sky and fades before dawn. This powerful magic prevents the next day's sun from rising above the horizon, turning midday into twilight and trapping Icewind Dale in winter's dark embrace, with no sunlight or warmth to melt the snow and ice. Each casting of the spell leaves the Frostmaiden weakened, with just enough divine power left to barricade the mountain pass with blizzards and churn the Sea of Moving Ice with blistering winds. Such measures discourage travelers from approaching or leaving Icewind Dale, further isolating the region. Icewind Dale has thus been trapped in a different reality from the rest of the world, for though the sun never rises over the dale, it continues to rise everywhere else.

The people of Icewind Dale know Auril's wrath when they feel it, and they have a name for the unending winter she has inflicted on them. They call it the Everlasting Rime. No one understands why the Frostmaiden has imposed her will in this way or why the other gods refuse to challenge her. This prolonged winter, which has gone on for more than two years, threatens to doom not just the flickering lights of civilization known as Ten-Towns but also the indigenous flora and fauna that need sunlight and the change of seasons to survive.

About me and the style of play for this game

For this game I will be running the module Icewind Dale – Rime of the Frostmaiden, released in 2020. I will be altering it to fit the PbP format better and potentially more to make the game flow better and increase the enjoyment of the players. The game will have a mostly serious tone and focus more on role-playing than combat, although combat will also be an integral part of the game. It is worth noting that the game will also have strong survival-elements in the frozen north as well.

I have been playing and DMing for over 30 years now, starting out in D&D and playing most editions through 1st edition AD&D, although I never did try 4th edition. I’ve also played and GMed other systems, most recently FFG Star Wars and Genesys. This will be my first time DMing 5th edition so hopefully we won’t have a TPK for at least the first week of play!

I am a story-driven player who likes role-playing over roll-playing. I have been playing on this site for a few years now and love the sense of community here as well as the quality players that seem to populate most games.

This game will be a cooperative storytelling game where the player characters are the stars of the show, driving the story forward and coming up with creative ways to tackle the situations they will inevitably find themselves in. The characters should play off each other as much as they play off what’s in each DM post. My goal is that everyone has fun and that every character gets a chance to shine. I will under no circumstances condone any PvP. You are all in this together to make a fun game for everyone and I expect you to respect that.

While I do by no means require huge posts every turn, I do appreciate players who take the time to flesh out their posts a little and give everyone an insight into their characters in each post.

Parts of the adventure module are quite sandboxy, allowing the players to pick what to do and when. That being said, under all the snow and ice there will be a set of rails to keep things going in the right direction as full sandbox games tend not to work too well in the PbP format.

I find that the games that work the best are the ones with free OOC communications, especially those that use a dedicated Discord server. It tends to keep the game flowing much better and build camaraderie with the players and DM which makes for both a more fun experience and a longer lasting game. I will be setting up a server for this game for both OOC talk about the game and for us all to chat but will have an OOC thread as well.

Character Creation DetailsI am looking for a group of interesting characters that fit the setting rather than mechanically "optimal" characters. I am open to most any character class, race and background from the official sources as long as they fit into the Forgotten Realms setting. There is no need to create a character sheet or stats at this point. Don’t think every character has to be a gnarled survivalist. A fish-out-of-water character will be just as likely to be selected as a dedicated outdoorsperson.

When coming up with a character concept it might be helpful to think about why your character ended up in the Ten-Towns. They could be recent arrivals, but if they’ve been there a while, think about why they stayed even after two years of winter rather than leaving like so many have done. Finally, consider why that character might be inclined to join a like-minded group of adventurers and you’re well on your way with the background for your character!

Deadline for Applications: A tentative deadline for applications is January 10th. I may alter this based on the number of applications but will always give a notice to those working on applications if I change the deadline.

right-aligned image
Posting Rate: I ask that players commit to two posts per week at minimum. I know real life can get in the way of our favorite hobby but I feel that this is a posting rate that allows the game to progress fast enough for most people to retain interest while not putting too much pressure on either the players or me as the DM.

Sources allowed: Players Handbook, Xanathar’s Guide to Everything, Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything (please no custom lineage though), Volo’s Guide to Monsters, Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foes, Fizban’s Treasury of Dragons and the Swordcoast Adventure Guide. Other official 5e material might be allowed on a case-by-case basis but don’t count on it. Homebrew, UA or unofficial sources will not be used.

Determining Ability Scores: Players will choose to use either the standard ability scores array or point-buy with 27 points and a maximum of 15 in each ability score before racial adjustments.

Number of players: 5-6

Starting level: The characters will start at level 2.

Multi-class: Allowed, but limited to one.

Level Advancement: Level advancement will be by milestones and should be fairly rapid, especially at first. The characters could end up at level 10 or 11 at the end of the module.

Starting equipment: Pick either starting equipment for class and background OR the average from a roll if you prefer the gold. Additionally, each character will get a free set of Cold Weather Clothing and 50 gp to spend on other equipment and to use in the opening stages of the game on things like food and lodging. There should be no reason for anyone to roll any dice at this point, but I’d still like to remind everyone not to roll any dice in this thread.

Secrets: Oh yes. Every character can start the game with an interesting secret from the module. We’ll figure those out once I’ve made my selection for the game. On a completely unrelated note, yes, that is in fact a picture of a Slaad Tadpole bursting out of the chest of some poor, unfortunate adventurer. Nicely spotted. As I said. Completely unrelated.

Character submissionsPlease provide the following in your application:

Name:
Race:
Class:
Alignment:
Background:
Appearance:
Personality:
Backstory:
Role-Playing Sample:

Finally, I’d like you to answer one simple question. Have you played the adventure before? If you have, please tell me how far into the module you got. As I will be making changes to the adventure this will not affect if you get selected or not.

I have taken the Oath of Sangus.

Last edited by kymrel; Jan 11th, 2022 at 03:18 AM.
Old Dec 16th, 2021, 09:43 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Applications
PlayerCharacterRaceClassStatus
SnakeOilCharmerDholovain the StargazerHumanWizard (School of Illusion)Complete
AndorGhesh DelmirevDragonborn (White)BarbarianComplete
Nyx89Vesta DawngleamHigh-ElfSorcerer (Gold Draconic)Complete
Nade---Interest
Silent RainJackson PierceHumanRogue (Thief)Complete
Seekr34Gearath KalagekaliGoliathBarbarian (Path of the Storm Herald)Complete
Treble83VeturEladrinRanger (Fey Wanderer)Complete
AmaryllisKardosThiefling - DispaterMonkComplete
OnwardElizabeth "Liz" WhiteroseHumanCleric (Life)Complete
DebiRedHairRia SiannodelHigh ElfArtificerComplete
UrsinorumOrvod PeltskinHill DwarfDruid (Circle of Shepherd)Complete
MrjoeganglesStargazerKenkuDruid (Circle of the Stars)Complete
GallupsMirrorChanler Jay MutchHumanArtificerComplete
GeneTEdita Franceska MehlinicForest GnomeWizard (School of Divination)Complete
JrodGorn GlacierrootHill DwarfDruid (Circle of the Land)Complete
TPasq98Gantry uth TorricHumanFighterWIP
WolandIrekahn, daughter of HerumerHumanSorcerer (White Draconic Bloodline)Complete
NasrithSinek WhiteriverHumanPaladin (Oath of the Crown)Complete
BlackDragon0DeamonDark-ElfFighter (Eldritch Knight)Complete
SnickerCella BrightwoodHumanWizard (School of Transmutation)Complete
Jasontheswift-----WIP
Hillsy7Yanola GodswornFallen AasimarWarlock (Celestial)/Paladin (Redemption)Complete
Majika---Interest
ChylopanMegarea SwordbreakerHumanBarbarian (Path of the Beast)Complete
DyerdonDamin OrkbettDragonborn (Amethyst)FighterComplete
EyepatchClaudius "Claude" GeshomHumanFighterComplete
JaredSynGalileoHalf ElfMonk (Way of Mercy)Complete
secretIDJaapaTortleDruid (Shepherd)Complete
ZietherGurdo BackensturmLightfoot HalflingPaladin (Oath of the Crown)Complete
ElanirDaryan MajarraHumanBard (College of Eloquence)Complete
TotentanzenAchias BeltranCopper DragonbornWarlockComplete
penbeast0IschyrosYuan-ti PurebloodFighter (Rune Knight)Complete
cappucinaZognaHobgoblinArtificer/WizardComplete
Ramona GaidMabel WaterlarkHumanCleric (Light)Complete
MontageManiacRhixbelkhadKalashtarWizard (Order of the Scribe)Complete
AlexNFrederic JungHalf-ElfFighter (Battle Master)Complete
In the MixSiwan MaartasdottirHumanClericComplete

Questions and answers
QuestionsAnswers
When you say RP sample, are you expecting it to be of this character or from a prior game?I would like to see an example written for this character both to get a sense of your writing style and a brief insight into the character.
Do Triton or Lizard folk fit the setting and acceptable?Both are very acceptable races.
I've never used Discord before. How important is it to use Discord in this game?It really helps for all OOC communication as well as to build camaraderie. I won't go so far as to say that its mandatory, but it is highly encouraged. Even if you've never been on Discord before, I urge you to try it out if you get accepted for the game. The intent is not for everyone to be on at any time but to check on it pretty much at the same time you'd check on RPGX. I find the games that last tend to have a group that likes chatting on Discord, both about OOC stuff for the game and other things.
It isn't in the listed source material, but would you allow Haunted Soul background?That would be fine by me.
Where does the adventure start?I haven't selected the starting town yet. I will decide that based on the party selected.

Last edited by kymrel; Jan 7th, 2022 at 04:23 AM.
Old Dec 16th, 2021, 10:26 AM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 31782
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
Forum label fixed, game should be ready for D&D recruitment!
Old Dec 16th, 2021, 10:46 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4729
SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer
Expressing interest - I was gutted when my ROTF game died. When you say RP sample, are you expecting it to be of this character or from a prior game?
Old Dec 16th, 2021, 10:49 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
I would like to see an example written for this character both to get a sense of your writing style and a brief insight into the character.

Old Dec 16th, 2021, 11:08 AM
Humble Tavernkeeper

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1514
Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand

Last edited by Hal Hammerhand; Jan 2nd, 2022 at 03:51 PM.
Old Dec 16th, 2021, 12:24 PM
Duke of Chanwood

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2195
Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor
Application
right-aligned image
Name:Ghesh Delmirev
Race: Dragonborn (White dragon ancestry)
Class: Barbarian
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Background: Outlander
Personality Traits: I place no stock in wealthy or well-mannered folk. Money and manners won't save you from a hungry owlbear. I watch over my friends as if they were a litter of newborn pups.
Ideals: Nature. The natural world is more important than all the constructs of civilization.
Bonds: My family, clan, or tribe is the most important thing in my life, even when they are far from me.
Flaws: I am slow to trust members of other races, tribes, and societies.

Appearance: Standing six-and-a-half feet tall and weighing 275 lbs, with glistening white scales and sharp teeth protruding from his muzzle, it would be easy to call Ghesh 'imposing', though he doesn't consider himself so. Several of his clutchmates are larger, stronger, and fiercer than he, as he has only recently passed into adulthood. Still, among smaller races, he stands out...particularly with the greataxe slung from his back and the assurance with which he carries himself. His clothing is made from stiched-together skins and furs, with little to no actual cloth, other than a few items he was able to trade for. One such item is the single item that seems incongruous with the rest of the 'fierce draconian barbarian' motif...he has a bright, striped scarf wound around his neck which he is very proud of. There is more than one tavern he is no longer welcome at as a result of someone mocking his scarf, and he had to evade the town watch after nearly killing some fool who actually touched it. Mess with the scarf at your own peril.

Personality: While he does display the natural aggression and mannerisms one might expect from a dragonborn barbarian, he has hidden depths that might surprise some folks. Most people wouldn't expect such an individual to be such an incorrigible punster, for example...though his puns are far better in Draconic than in Common. He is also a musician, of sorts. While he's certainly no bard, he does enjoy playing drums and is fairly accomplished for being self-taught. He enjoys talking and laughing with those he has grown comfortable with, and is relatively non-xenophobic; he has no issue making friends among non-draconics, so long as they display courage, independence, and a love of puns.

In battle, however, he is merciless. Where he comes from, once it comes down to violence, there can be no mercy. Death is around every corner, underneath every snowbank, behind every cloud. When Ghesh is 'on the job', he is very serious. He saves the joviality for after the battle, once the survivors are gathered around the fire. All the better to celebrate the victory and life of those who survived, and honor those who did not.

Backstory: During the Spellplague, dragonborn were transplanted from Abeir to Toril. In Faerūn, most dragonborn dwelt in the militaristic nation of Tymanther. However, not all dragonborn were content to rebuild a land based on their home world and repeat the same mistakes. Some dragonborn fled East Faerūn and traveled, seeking a new beginning, free from any potential slavery and domination similar to what they'd endured in Abeir. Ghesh's tribe was one such group and, partially due to their white dragon heritage, chose to flee north, through the Dalelands, along the Desertsmouth Mountains to the Tortured Land. They entered and crossed the Great Glacier heading west, eventually ending up in the Uttermost North.

Ghesh grew up in a relatively isolated section of the Uttermost North, compared to the horrors his tribe had faced in their migration, particularly from the beasts in the Great Glacier. Though still subject to raids by orcs, arctic creatures, frost giants (with whom they alternated warring and trading), and the occasional dragon, they managed to claw out a place where they could survive and, in a way, thrive. Life was hard, but good, and the dragonborn were content. That is, until the wrath of the Frostmaiden unleashed a new wrath upon them. It seemed the gods would not spare the dragonborn, even on this new world.
While the cold had less effect upon the white dragonborn as some creatures, it still was a threat. Game for hunting died of cold or starvation, and desperate orcs and other foes increased the frequency and ferocity of their attacks. Once again facing extinction, the tribe elected to send a representative down to the nearby city of Icewind Dale to find a way to resolve the issue. Ghesh, as the youngest of the proven warriors, was chosen in hopes that his youthful exuberance and energy would provide the greatest chance of success. At least, that's what he was told...in truth, he was deemed the least immediately-threatening warrior who wouldn't immediately get himself killed trying to destroy the entire town. Plus, none of the older warriors wanted to go. Still, Ghesh is anxious to explore a bit and prove himself by doing his part to save the tribe.

Role-Playing Sample: Scramsax was laughing and joking with his regulars at the Northlook inn on a typical lunchtime crowd. There were a few merchants scattered in the common room enjoying a meal and drink, having concluded their trading in Bryn Shander, but most of the regulars hanging out at the bar were mercenaries, many of them friends. Most of the conversation paused, however, when the large, white-scaled dragonborn shouldered his way to the counter, slapping a coin on the counter. "One tankard of ale," said Ghesh as he slapped a coin on the counter with a cheerful grin. He'd heard that this was a good place to meet people of action, the types who could help him figure out what was going on with the Frostmaiden's curse and help end it. The first step, in Ghesh's opinion, was having an ale, which would both help him relate to the bar's patrons and, of course, provide ale.

Unfortunately, he underestimated the effect a stranger can have on a population. Usually, dragonborn were considered suspicious, potentially dangerous, odd, fascinating...but rarely did anyone think to cause trouble without provocation. As long as the dragonborn didn't start blasting everyone with fiery (or, in Ghesh's case, icy) breath, folks were content to leave them be. But these particular locals were drunk, frustrated at the lack of available work, and in the case of all but one or two, defensive about Ghesh being larger than they. This, of course, was a terrible combination that manifested itself in its purest form...stupidity...ere the draconic barbarian could finish his first eager gulp of ale.

"That's a mighty pretty scarf ye have on there," leered one of the mercenaries with a sarcastic grin.

Ghesh's tribe, however, was unaccustomed to sarcasm. Their humor was more direct, or involved wordplay and entendre. "Thank you, my friend!" replied Ghesh, smoothing the front of his brightly-striped scarf that wound snugly, but not tightly, around his thick, scaled neck. "I traded for it in this very town! It's one of the few things I have that I didn't have to..."

"I said..." interrupted the man in front of him, who was now standing on his toes to press uncomfortably close to Gresh's snout. "It's a...pretty...scarf. Ain't it pretty, boys?"

"Yeah," growled the one behind Gresh, who actually stood a few inches taller than the 6'6" dragonborn. "Real pretty."

Gresh was unused to sarcasm, but he was no fool. He knew that the men were taunting and threatening him, though he was confused as to how exactly such a thing tied in to his scarf being pretty. He knew it was pretty, assuming he was correct in that 'pretty' meant 'lovely to look at' in the Common tongue. When men found a female 'pretty', they generally desired to possess the female...hence, Ghesh had desired to possess the scarf. Wait, he thought in shock and disgust. It doesn't mean that I've been claiming to want to...to mate with my scarf, does it? Well, no wonder the men were so aggressive. They thought he was some pervert who wanted to fornicate with clothing.

"My mistake," he chuckled, shaking his head. "I just meant I like the way it looks. I don't want to mate with my scarf!"

All conversation in the tavern stopped as every patron in the place turned to stare at Ghesh in dumbfounded horror. Somewhere in the back of the tavern, a pin dropped.

After the brief moment of shocked silence, everyone heard the mercenaries surrounding Ghesh roar in an odd mixture of drunken amusement and horrified rage. Several fists struck Ghesh, knocking him about, which fortunately caused a full mug to fly past him right where he'd been standing. Well this, at least, I understand! he thought in relief, returning the swings while being sure not to use his claws. It was just a tavern brawl; no need for that level of violence. For a few moments, Ghesh battled several of the mercs, giving as good as he got. While the mercs were definitely seasoned brawlers, Ghesh's strength, scales, toughness, and barbarian instincts evened the field a bit. Suddenly, Ghesh felt the scarf tighten around his neck as he was yanked backwards. One of the ones behind him had grabbed it and was using it as a makeshift garrote. Ghesh's eyes widened as he heard the fabric tear. They tore my scarf!! he thought as his vision filled with the red of battle madness...

By the time Ghesh came back to his senses, the bar area of the tavern, and several tables around, was in pieces. Fortunately, none of the mercs were, though none of them moved faster or higher than a crawl. Ghesh ached, and was pretty sure he had several slashes in various parts of his body. Weirdly, most of the patrons not directly involved in the fight had merely guarded their drinks and shifted away from the fight, watching as one might watch a bard's performance. Tough room, Ghesh had time to think before Scramsax returned from the back area with a wicked-looking sword...and he looked like he knew how to use it. Ghesh was already feeling beat, so he beat it. Running toward the door, he half-expected someone to try to stop him. Instead, he only heard laughter and cheers as he vaulted over tables toward escape. "Don't ferget yer scarf, lad!" yelled a dwarf with an eyepatch, and the laughter redoubled. The barkeep was screaming threats, but Ghesh didn't bother waiting to see if he gave chase before sprinting out into the street. Several people drew back or shrieked in alarm at the sight of a blood-covered dragonborn barbarian lunging out of a tavern with a reputation for brawling. The town watch a few buildings down, however, did not draw back or shriek in alarm. Instead, the one in front simply yelled and pointed at Ghesh...

"GET HIM!!!"

Time to run again, Ghesh sighed to himself, and did exactly that.

Have you played the adventure before? No.

Luinil Alqualond - Wood Elf Ranger, Desert of Desolation
Berilac "Berry" Fairbairn - Halfling Ranger, Priestess
Liam "Madhouse" Holt - Solo, Cyberpunk 2020

Last edited by Andor; Jan 3rd, 2022 at 07:19 PM.
Old Dec 16th, 2021, 12:24 PM
Chocolate Chips

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9012
In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix
Interested

Hello Andor.

Last edited by In the Mix; Dec 16th, 2021 at 12:25 PM.
Old Dec 16th, 2021, 03:11 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 93
Nyx89
Super interested. I've never done this module before.

Vesta Dawngleam
right-aligned image

Name: Vesta Dawngleam
Race: High Elf
Class: Sorcerer (Draconic Ancestry - Gold Dragon)
Alignment: Neutral Good
Background: Folk Hero
Personality Traits:
-I always want to know how things work and what makes people tick.
-I often get lost in my own thoughts and contemplations, becoming oblivious to my surroundings.

Ideal:
-Aspiration. I'm going to prove that I'm worthy of a better life. (Any)

Bond:
-My family, clan, or tribe is the most important thing in my life, even when they are far from me.

Flaw:
-There's no room for caution in a life lived to the fullest.

Appearance: Vesta is a young elven woman of slight build and stature. She stands at a diminutive 5'0'' and is all of 100 lbs soaking wet. Her most striking feature is her long, wavy red hair and bright green eyes. Also striking about her appearance are the golden scales along her face, neck, and shoulders, which glitter radiantly in the sunlight, what little there is of it now anyway. Vesta prefers to wear bright jewel tones, especially green, to brighten up the wintry world around her and bring a bit of cheer to the frozen wastes.

Personality: Vesta is an idealist and a dreamer. She always has her head in the clouds, imagining a better future for herself and her family. She is both a hopeless romantic and a diehard optimist, to the perpetual annoyance of the Ten Towns' more cynical resisdents, which is pretty much everyone. From her vibrant clothes to her vibrant personality, Vesta tends to stand out in a crowd.

Vesta is fascinated by people and loves meeting new people when she can. One of her favorite pastimes is people watching and making up stories in her head about their lives and histories. She is loyal to a fault and would do anything for her family and friends.

She is determined to make something of herself and make her family proud. She believes that her magic is a gift bestowed upon her so that she can help others and, secretly, maybe even to lift the Everlasting Rime itself.

Backstory: Vesta was born to one of the few elven families living in Lonelywood before the Rime. Her mother died giving birth to her and so her father, a respected fisherman, raised her and her older siblings by himself in a small cottage in the woods. Vesta has two older siblings, a brother named Adan and a sister named Bethan. Neither of them was born with the gift of magic that Vesta inherited. Her grandmother, however, was blessed with magic and taught Vesta how to use her powers before she passed on. Instead of following in her father's footsteps and joining the fishing trade, she decided to use her powers for the benefit of her village, lighting fires and melting ice mostly, but she longs for something more, something more exciting than her little village stuck at the end of the world.

Vesta's biggest flaw is that she tends to throw caution to the wind. The biggest mistake she's ever made, and one that still causes her great shame, is the day she accidentally burned down Widow Rylen's cottage and nearly set the Lonelywood on fire in the process. All she was trying to do was light the poor old woman's hearth for her, but she was quite young at the time and had not yet fully mastered her powers. Widow Rylen's house went up in flames, and Vesta spent the better part of a year helping her father rebuild the widow's home and make amends. Ever since that incident, she has done her best to temper her impetuous nature, but she isn't always successful...

Redemption came not all that long ago when the Lonelywood faced an incursion by orcs. Terrified, her father and siblings begged her to stay home and hide in the cellar, but Vesta could not abide hiding when she knew she could do something to save the village and protect her community. No doubt there were many who thought she was suicidal when she went to confront the orc raiding party, but their fear soon turned to jubilation when, summoning all of her power, the young elven sorcerer unleashed a powerful fireball that incinerated the would-be raiders where they stood. From that day forward even Widow Rylen could no longer stay angry with her, and even her father begrudgingly admitted that she was meant for something more than trawling the lake for trout.

Role-Playing Sample:
Vesta could hear the screaming from inside the cottage. She also heard what sounded like guttural snarls and the clashing of spear on shields. She stared out the window, looking through the trees toward the village in the dim constant twilight that blanketed their world. Suddenly a cold hand gribbed her arm.

"You mustn't do this!" her father cried, gripping her arm tightly. "You'll be killed. Foolish girl!"

"Let me go!" Vesta shouted, wrenching herself from her father's grip. "I can help. I have to help!"

Her father, a tall, middle-aged elven man with blond hair that had already turned grey from the ravages of living in the Dale, simply shook his head, as if he couldn't believe any daughter of his could possibly be so stupid. Before he could try to restrain her again, she was flying out the door, hearing his voice shouting words that were immediately tossed away on the frozen wind. Wrapped in her thickest, fur-lined cloak, Vesta raced through the thick snowdrifts as fast as she could, toward the sounds of fighting she'd heard before. It only took her a few minutes before she reached the village proper. Most people had retreated to their homes, barring their doors, but Vesta immediately noticed members of the town guard engaged in what looked like active combat with a band of orc raiders. Even as she watched, one of the orcs found an opening and his sword slid through the guardsman's stomach like butter, the point emerging from his back. Blood spurted on the snow, the crimson garish and striking against the white backdrop. Vesta knew the guardsman. His name was Tomas, and he was only twenty years old.

"No!" she cried. The raider that had gutted Tomas turned at the sound of her voice, snarling at her. He raised his bloodied sword threateningly. All told the raiding band was the size of a small platoon. There was no way the guards would be able to defeat them all without more casualties. "Fall back!" she cried, summoning up the most commanding voice she could muster.

The guard captain heard her, and at first he didn't make any motion toward heeding her request. But then he appeared to reconsider and he motioned for his men to retreat. The orcs raised a vicious yell of triumph, but their victory was short-lived. Vesta was already summoning the fire that lived within her. Her golden scales seemed to shine brighter, illuminating the gloomy twilight, as she extended her hands. Her eyes flashed with a radiance that came from within, and suddenly there was fire in her hands. With a shout she released the fire and sent it hurtling toward the orcs. It exploded with a thunderous cacophony, and for a glorious moment it was as if the sun had reemerged. Screaming in pain, their skin blackened and smoldering, some of the orcs managed to take a few steps before toppling over, dead. The rest were killed instantly.

"Nine Bloody Hells!" Vesta heard the guard captain shout, but the man was grinning from ear to ear. Adrenaline was still coursing through her system, but Vesta managed to return the smile. This ought to make up for Widow Rylen's house...

Last edited by Nyx89; Dec 17th, 2021 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Character App
Old Dec 16th, 2021, 04:16 PM
Duke of Chanwood

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2195
Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor
Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Mix View Post
Interested

Hello Andor.
Hello In The Mix! You went shopping for new games after Cyberpunk died too, eh?

Luinil Alqualond - Wood Elf Ranger, Desert of Desolation
Berilac "Berry" Fairbairn - Halfling Ranger, Priestess
Liam "Madhouse" Holt - Solo, Cyberpunk 2020
Old Dec 16th, 2021, 05:09 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4231
Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade
Posting interest.
Old Dec 16th, 2021, 05:29 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4729
SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer
Application
right-aligned image
Name: Dholovain the Stargazer
Race: VHum
Class: Wizard (School of Illusion)
Alignment: LN
Background: Guild Artisan (Painter)
Appearance: Pale-skinned and blonde haired, Dholovain's appearance gives the impression of an uneasily-struck balance between the fashionable expectations of Sword Coast nobility and the multiplicity of practical concessions required to the unforgiving climate of the Dale. Fond of furs before she ever even set foot in the far north, Dholovain's slight frame most often appears almost comically engulfed by the multiple layers and thick coats required to ward off the cold. Dholovain's hair is kept long but unfailingly worn up with a series of pins and clips - betraying both her knowledge that flowing hair is simply impractical in these climes and her unwillingness to indulge in the act of vandalism that would be cutting it off. Her face, though, betrays no sign of the exposure to the elements that is common to everyone in Ten-Towns, thanks to her extensive and time-consuming beauty regimen. Dholovain knows that this commitment to her appearance is essentially a losing battle, but it is nonetheless a point of pride for her.

Personality: Possessed of the boundless self-confidence deriving from a privileged and supportive upbringing, Dholovain has always believed she can do anything she sets her mind to... and rarely realizes when she shouldn't. A setback-filled year of living in Icewind Dale has chipped away at that naļveté a little, but she remains an upbeat character with a desire to seek out new experiences. Dholovain is compassionate, and will go out of her way to help others, but can be patronizing with it. She loves beautiful things, often paying over the odds or taking ill-considered risks in order to possess something rare or unique. Dholovain hates arguments, and will go out of her way to avoid them, whether by bending over backwards to come up with a compromise, or simply avoiding difficult topics.

Backstory:

Role-Playing Sample:

Last edited by SnakeOilCharmer; Dec 27th, 2021 at 11:51 PM.
Old Dec 16th, 2021, 05:32 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14748
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
Application
right-aligned image

Name:Jackson Pierce
Class: Rogue (intend on going thief)
Race: Human (variant)
Alignment: Neutral Good
Background: Faction Agent (Shadow Thieves)

Appearance:Jackson favors utility above all else, which is made clear by his clothing and gear he wears. Everything has a purpose. His leathers are dyed black, along with the rest of the clothes he wears. His hair is kept short and neat, as efficiently kept as everything else he has. Even his body falls under the same self-scrutiny, ensuring that he stays as fit as possible, even during the long stretches between jobs.

Personality: Jackson is a survivor, a skill learned while trapped within the Shadowfell and then again on the streets of Waterdeep. But through it all, he never became jaded. Instead, he viewed everything life threw at him as a challenge needing to be overcome. It is his unrelenting belief that he can accomplish anything he sets his mind to that has kept him alive (that, and a sharp dagger and being smarter than the next guy). Interestingly, he also finds violence and killing lazy. Anyone can kill their way to a score, but getting in and out without anyone ever being the wiser, that is the mark of a true thief.

Backstory: When Jackson was young, he accidentally found himself in the Shadowfell, a victim of a fluke temporary portal. For several months he managed to survive there, hiding and scavenging as best he could. Then, as unwittingly as he had arrived, he found himself once more in the Prime Material Plane. With no possessions, except for the threadbare clothes on his back, he begged for rides and walked when he had to, all the way back to Waterdeep.

Despite the fact that he had left the plane of shadows, it seemed some of its essence had not left him. By simply focusing his will, he found that he could render himself perfectly invisible or change the way in which other perceived him. Needless to say, Jack quickly began to become one of Waterdeep's most successful thieves.

The Shadow Thieves were regaining much of the footing they had once lost within the city, and offered him a position within the guild. Some within the organization were jealous of Jack's gifts, and looked to eliminate him. He was forced to snuff more than a few lives because of this.

Years passed, and Jackson was moving up the ranks within the guild, but now he needed to do something that would truly set him apart from the countless other thieves in the city. Far to the north, in the frozen clutches of a stretch of land called Icewind Dale, Jack had begun to hear rumors of a gem that had been recovered, that was the size of a man's fist. He thought nothing of it, until he began to hear corroborating reports. Even if the gem were nowhere as large as the stories would tell, it was still well worth investigating. A score like that could make an entire career.

Unfortunately for Jack, shortly after arriving in the frozen hell collectively known as Ten Towns, a strange power took hold over all of Icewind Dale, effectively trapping those in an endless cycle of frozen night...

Role-Playing Sample: Lady Margaret's lady-in-waiting brushed her Lady's hair the requisite hundred strokes before finally setting the round gold, quill, and horsehair brush on the table. Following the same order every evening, the Lady then had her jeweled sapphire necklace and earning removed and placed on a small pillow that had been created for just that purpose.

With her evening preparations complete, the lady-in-waiting bowed and turned to take her leave, her Lady never realizing that she still had the necklace in her hands. The noblewoman turned in her bed, her dreary eyes falling upon the form of her servant making her way from the room. Only it wasn't. The form of a young man dressed in black filled her vision. She rose onto one arm and rubbed her eyes, sure that it was her tiredness that was playing tricks on her. As the sight before her only became more clear, her eyes widened at first in fright, then they narrowed as anger filled her.

"Guard, "she shouted. "Guard!"

The man that had been skulking away stopped where he was. "Well, ****," he muttered under his breath. He pulled a small pouch that had previously hung from his belt and upended its contents onto the marble floor. A thousand tiny metal balls clanked and bounced about as they dropped from the pouch and fell onto the stone below.

Two armed guards burst through the door, swords drawn. They saw the man in the room and immediately moved to intercept him. Unfortunately, they had not noticed the tiny balls and quickly found themselves floundering about as their legs cut out from under them.

Jackson turned to Lady Margaret and offer her a smile before tossing her the pair of earrings that also resided on the pillow he still held. The necklace was promptly placed into another of his pouches before he pulled free a length of rope with metal hooks on one end.

The guards were still struggling to rise as Jack made his way over to the window, unlocked them, and swung them wide. Securing the metals hooks to the inside of the window's sill, he leapt from the window and descended down the three stories of the estate to the ground below.

Not the best job he ever pulled, he thought, but far from the worst.

Question: I have never played this module before.

Last edited by Silent Rain; Jan 3rd, 2022 at 04:57 PM.
Old Dec 16th, 2021, 09:41 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1495
Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod
@DM - Do Triton or Lizard folk fit the setting and acceptable?
Old Dec 16th, 2021, 10:50 PM
Royal Lion

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3036
Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83
Posting Interest