Notices

Closed Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2021, 05:53 PM
A legend in my spare time
Artist in Residence

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6376
GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror
right-aligned image

Name: Chanler Jay Mutch
Race: Human (Variant)
Class: Artificer (future Wizard multiclass)
Alignment: Neutral Good
Background: Izzet Engineer (GGtR, if allowed) or Waterdhavian Noble (SCAG)
Appearance: see image

Personality: Chanler, in full-blown midlife crisis, wants to make a name for himself as an artificer, succeeding on his own merit, without the benefit of the Mutch family name. Stoic on the outside, calculating on the inside, the intellectual Chanler knows he needs friends to establish himself in this strange new land, and intends to earn them by being a good and reliable friend himself.

Backstory: Chanler Jay Mutch learned the artificer's ways from his famous father, Ardo Den Mutch. Starting at age 16, Chanler earned a comfortable living, plying his craft through a combination of inborn talent, expert training, and family notoriety. A 30 year career as an engineer of magical technology brought Chanler to wealth and comfort, but not the respect of his artificer peers. Chanler was always seen as the privileged son of the great Ardo Den Mutch, and never for making his own mark, no matter how many fresh innovations he created or what new wonders he discovered. For years, the question nagged him: could he make it on his own, without the special status of his father's name? The day his father died, Chanler decided that his time was running out. He put his affairs in order, equipped himself with the basics, and quit his artificer's practice in [DM: insert appropriate city name]. Chanler, now fully committed as a new adventurer, set out for the distant town of [DM: insert appropriate town name], where nobody knew him, or had ever heard of a Mutch. There, in that challenging environment, Chanler would start over on his own terms, and make or break himself on his own abilities, rather than live in the shadow of his Mutch forebears.

Role-Playing Sample:

Played adventure before? No.

Last edited by GallupsMirror; Jan 2nd, 2022 at 12:15 PM.
Old Dec 17th, 2021, 06:02 PM
Phial of Babel

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11859
GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT
Običajen
Name - - - Edita Franceska Mehlinic
Race - - - Forest Gnome
Class - - - Wizard : School of Divination
Alignment - - -
Background - - - Sage

Appearance/Personality - - - She isn't pretty. Nor is she big or the smallest. She has freckles and dull hair. Her hands are rough. Rougher than any Wizard's hands ought to be, which is a mistake others often make. Her singing voice is terrible. But she sings anyway. Loudly. She has a scar along the curve of her right ear from an errant hook thrown by an errant cast. She did it herself. All fishers do. It's a rite of passage. She smells of salted air and smoked fish even when clean. She's proud of that smell so don't go givin her unkind words for it or you'll meet her temper, a thing that is rare unless provoked. She is smarter than she looks but it's not a thing on display. It is a quiet thing. She knows its there but its no different than anything else.

And her laugh. Oh, that is a thing that is not very quiet or terrible in its tenor. It is a round, wide, warm, bubbling from deep inside her small self. Open like a large body of water. Rhythmic like the tides and apt to recur, murmuring on as the swells and troughs of a jubilant inland sea caressed into motion by a soft breeze. You just have to get her to start. And all that takes is seeing her true.

Backstory

Role-Playing Sample

I have not played the Module.

I took a bit of license with Edita's abilities for story-telling purposes. But it is more an idea of her person. Augury would work if done in a marginally closer time frame with respect to what's written for Gris I think. And after him, it is a thing she approaches with reservation.

Last edited by GeneT; Dec 17th, 2021 at 08:34 PM.
Old Dec 17th, 2021, 06:19 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1595
Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod
application
right-aligned image

Name: Gorn Glacierroot
Race: Dwarf - Hill
Class: Druid - land
Background: Hermit

Personality trait: I am extremely harsh to judge, in the most subtle way.

Ideal: Inquiry and curiosity are the pillars of progress.

Bond: Seclusion has granted me the quiet needed to explore my powers.

Flaw: I let greed cloud my good Will.

Personality: Gorn is a soft spoken, grandfather type figure. He is quiet, but holds opinionated views. Though he doesn’t attempt to be to pushy, he has a way of getting his point across in subtle manner. He has lived a life of seclusion, but that doesn’t mean he’s estranged or un social. Its the opposite infact, where he enjoys a good smoke with comrades and a hearty ale among adventurers with stories. Gorn is both an old soul and a young lad full of wanderlust. Full of ageless wisdom and experience, he loves to move slowly and appreciate the good things left in life. He is also equal parts a playful adolescence with a quick witted roughian ego, typical of his Bremen up bringing.

Gorn has a natural habit of extorting injured or ailed people for their wealth in exchange for his services. He has become moderately wealthy on this tactic alone.

Appearance:
Gorn is elder, and as such shows the obvious evidence. His skin is wrinkled with a set of sunken eyes upon his face. His body is slightly slouched and round yet stout. His long snowy white hair rests flat upon his back. Complimented by his equally white, yet scorched moustache and beard. Coalecent glacier blue eyes rest, hidden in the shadows of his face. He wears a heavy set of winter furs, colourful in both earthy browns and dark blues. He keeps a hearty trappers hat comfortably atop his head. Gorn has harnessed the magical effects of the frigid north for so long that he is literally a walking embodiment of his environment. He carries a large Dwarven pick axe. A woodcutters double bit and a fisherman’s harpoon for self defence and survival efforts.

Backstory:
Gorn came to Bremen by way of his mother over two hundred years ago. He was conceived here and raised on her cold shores by his sweet mother, a nomadic Dwarven Druid. He was no miner like his father, and instead took after his mother with skills of nature and healing. Inherently he was fond of Gems and gold, and so he made a living trading for said rarities by providing aid to the fishermen, miners and warriors of the area.

Having lost his mother to orcs, Gorn has a carnal hate for the filthy creatures. He knows his father died some years ago inside the ten towns but he doesn’t know where and frankly couldn’t care less.

He now lives inside an abandoned mine, one in which was never fully excavated or very deep. He makes it his home much like the winter bears do, hibernating and staying inside for long periods at a time. He prefers his seclusion but does travel on occasion for the right price or when the weather permits. One thing that has been bothering him as of late is this endless winter the Frostmaiden has laid upon them. Where he once cultivated crops, plants and organics such as sea weed or algae, now is dead and lifeless waste. It disrupts the natural cycle of things. Altering the peace and harmony that come with the seasons. This continuance of death in his world has him concerned, and he would like to change it. He is after all, still a guardian of the land. This state of perpetual winter has things out of funk, and perhaps it’s time someone figured out why.

Role playing sample
The cold whistled her way through the corridors again, like she had so many times before. She bounced off walls and Glid across the smoother stone floors, a symphony of harmonics only few ever heard. Deep within the cave home lay rest a beast. Head to toe in thick furs. Protective layers to defend itself of winters relentless embrace. The beast snored and roared, opposing the winds own chorus.

From the outside another sound could be heard. “Gorn! Gorn! Help!” The sound of weary men echoed from outside the cave homes thick wooden door. Yet still the beast lay a slumber. “Gorn! Open your door!” And still no entrance was granted. The great beast slept. “Open your door Dwarf! He is wounded and needs your magic! You filthy baggard, second rate healer open your doors!” This got the attention of the slumbering hill. Mumbles, grumbles, and down right frustration erupts from deep within the cave. An answer replies from the awoken nightmare. One would think a boar rages in anger “Aaaarrrgggghhhhh” so frightful the men on the outer doorsteps stumble back a step, contemplating if they indeed came to the right place seeking medical aid.

“A second rate healer?! A Baggard! Keep your dead off my doorsteps! Begone with your filthy tongue. Go on. Begone!

“We have gold” the jingle and chime of a lacklustre pouch is easily deciphered.

“What is a mans life worth!” He blares in a guttural dialect of misspoken common and Dwarf. “Pay in heavy gold or Gem or leave. You know the cost!”

By now the beast is fully awoken, out of his bed and making his way on path to the rudeness that amplifies their petty cheapness from outside his walls. Complete disgust and hate magnified in his demeanour.

“It was Orcs, Gorn. It was orcs” sadness and defeat creeping into the tone of the speaker. Weeps from another presence can now be heard due to proximity.

“Well why didn’t you say so. Come in, come in, make haste your letting the frost in” he says, pushing the immensely dense wood door open.

“God Damn Orcs!” And a SLAM of wood crashes as the frost is denied into Gorn Glacierroots domicile. “They are the bane on my existence!

MeHave you played this adventure before? No

Last edited by Jrod; Dec 29th, 2021 at 09:29 AM.
Old Dec 17th, 2021, 06:56 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1254
TPasq98 TPasq98 TPasq98 TPasq98 TPasq98 TPasq98 TPasq98 TPasq98 TPasq98
Wip

WIP
right-aligned image

Name: : Gantry uth Torric
Race:: Human
Class: Fighter
Alignment: Neutral Good

Personality:

Appearance:
Gantry uth Torric walks with the confident grace of a master swordsman, all the while carrying himself with all the refinement and grace of a noble at court… or did so once. Now the man you see standing before you is but a shadow of what he once was.
Dirty and unshaven, with long dark brown hair falling unkept down past his shoulders and dressed in modest travel worn clothing, Gantry looks more the part of street beggar or barroom brawler than the noble born knight he once was.
While mostly drunk and full of self-loathing, those who know Gantry would tell you that he is not so much dangerous as he is simply a reckless and uncaring inebriate. Still though, there are those rare moments, usually when he is alone or when no one is looking, when his usual uncaring demeanor wains and the sadness creeps back. It is at those times, when Gantry is at his most vulnerable, that one with an eye for detail can still make out the glint of genuine goodness behind those sunken, weary eyes.

Backstory:
Gantry uth Torric grew up knowing all the splendor and pleasantries that would be afforded to one of his station. Gantry’s father Count Ryan uth Torric, a Tethyrian noble and sworn bannerman to Duke Blackthorn himself, provided his only son with the most prestigious schooling available. Diplomacy, court etiquette, religion, arts and history were all required learning by the various sages and teachers brought in to teach the young Gantry. Bored as he was as a child, Gantry went about his learning with all the enthusiasm he could muster, lest he disappoint his father.

It wasn’t until he was sent to ward with Duke Blackthorn that Gantry was introduced to what would become his one true talent… swordplay. As ward to the Duke, the teenage Gantry would no longer spend his days learning about philosophy and astronomy, but instead he would spend every morning and every evening again with the Duke’s own master-at-arms. While the study of warfare strategy and tactics came naturally to the boy, Gantry truly shined with sword in hand. Indeed, by the eve of his eighteenth birthday Gantry was a challenge for even the most season of fighters. Soon after coming of age, Gantry was knighted and allowed to return home to his father’s lands.

It was at this time, during a time when the young Gantry was just at the beginning of what was sure to be an illustrious career, when it all came crashing down. His downfall came as swift as the messenger’s steed, as his secret love affair with the Duke’s daughter, who was now with child, became public knowledge. The scandal rocked the uth Torric court to its core and Count Ryan, who had always been an ambitious man, was suddenly put in the most horrible of positions. As representative of the uth Torric household, Gantry had committed the most despicable and unhonerable act imaginable and Count Ryan was now expected to act accordingly to save his position in the Queen’s court.

And so it was, son or no, the Count’s hands were tied. At the order of the Duke and signed by the seal of the Queen herself, Gantry was to be immediately stripped of title and banished from his homeland in disgrace.

Heartbroken and angry at one another, the final words between father and son were those of vile discontentment. For Gantry, he had lost not only the love of his father, but also the woman at the heart of the controversy, with whom he truly in loved. Unfortunately for Gantry and the girl, they were of different social stock and their union would be completely unacceptable under the rigid Tethyrian traditions. The punishment was both decisive and swift and Gantry soon found himself out on his own penniless and heartbroken. He had with him his only possession, his family sword which had been passed down from generation to generation. The sword was truly Gantry’s birthright and should have been stripped from him like everything else. His father however, perhaps in one last act of love, gave Gantry the sword just as he was leaving the castle. The sword is now not only Gantry’s most prized possession, but also his most hated.

For several years not, Gantry has lived the nomadic life of a petty mercenary. Traveling from town to town and tavern to tavern, making what meager living he can with his sword…

Role-Playing Sample:

Last edited by TPasq98; Dec 17th, 2021 at 07:28 PM.
Old Dec 17th, 2021, 07:30 PM
Humble Tavernkeeper

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1514
Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand
I think my application is complete.
Old Dec 17th, 2021, 08:01 PM
Bladesinger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3813
Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil
Would a drow (from another world, but that's not the point) be out of the question?
Old Dec 17th, 2021, 08:31 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3296
Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles
A drow in Icewind Dale? Would never happen. Lol
Old Dec 17th, 2021, 09:13 PM
Bladesinger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3813
Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil
@Mrjoegangles, with all respect. Didn't ask you. "lol"
Old Dec 17th, 2021, 09:25 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2762
Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum
Also not my business, but if I was a gambling man, I'd say that a Drow ranger would be ignored..

..no reason
Old Dec 17th, 2021, 09:54 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 93
Nyx89
My application is finished!
Old Dec 17th, 2021, 10:56 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3296
Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daendil View Post
@Mrjoegangles, with all respect. Didn't ask you. "lol"
Itís a joke, the most famous DnD character of all time was a Drow who lived in Icewind Dale.
Old Dec 18th, 2021, 03:01 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4681
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
He knows that. The LOL means "laughing out loud", so he knows. I be very surprised if a D&D and pathfinder gamer never heard of Drizzt.
Old Dec 18th, 2021, 06:42 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11654
kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Hammerhand View Post
Where does the adventure start?
I will update the table of applicants soon, but just wanted to answer this and one other question I got through PM. I haven't selected the starting town yet. I will decide that based on the party selected.

I have taken the Oath of Sangus.
Old Dec 18th, 2021, 06:45 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Just a friendly reminder to everyone to be respectful of each other and the character pitches put forward. I grew up with the original Icewind Dale trilogy

A Drow Ranger isn't any more or less likely than any other character to get in the game. I'm looking for great players and interesting characters, not any specific combination of class/race!

Old Dec 18th, 2021, 06:47 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daendil View Post
Would a drow (from another world, but that's not the point) be out of the question?
I'm a bit ambivalent about the whole "another world" thing, but a Drow is fine for this game.

Closed Thread