RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Jan 5th, 2022, 05:05 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2197
FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad
Odyssey of the Dragonlords

Game Name
Odyssey of the Dragonlords

Game System
D&D 5e

Game Theme
Greek-inspired, but held in the unique setting: Thylea, which is neither mythical Greece nor Theros. Don’t expect to see Zeus or Hades, rather gods and titans inspired by them.

Game Flavor
Mythic heroes, called by prophecy, face off against the last of the Titans in an epic conflict that will reshape the world–and possibly the pantheon–of Thylea.

Setting Overview and Introductory Plot Elements

Thylea, 500 CE (now).

For thousands of years, the Titans were the lords of this land.
The Dragonlords drove back their armies; then fell to Sydon's hand.
Five Gods from the heavens came, as the Oracle had foreseen.
And a sacred oath was sealed with the blood of the Silver Queen.
Five hundred years have passed, but the peace has been in vain.
The time has come for war in Thylea once again…
– The Oracle’s Prophecy

The setting of Thylea is inspired by the mythical heroes of Ancient Greece. Thylea was home to all manner of fae races–including medusae, satyrs, nymphs of all sorts, minotaurs and centaurs, mighty cyclopean giants, among others–long before the “settler” races arrived, namely the traditional mortal races (humans, elves, dwarves, halflings, gnomes, and half-orcs: full-blooded orcs are not present in Thylea). Dragonborn and plane-touched races (Tieflings, in particular) are extremely rare and will garner quite a bit of attention. While more exotic races may exist, they may be the only or last of their kind in the setting–and I’ll want a fairly good explanation on why they’re there in the first place (more to be addressed in the character creation field).

The adventure will begin at the advent of the Oracle’s Prophecy. Tensions between the indigenous fae races and the “settler” races have increased in recent days, and there have been rumors of escalating actions taken by the Twin Titans to push back the outsiders. The Twin Titans being Sydon, Lord of Tempest and Time (think Zeus and Poseidon smashed together) and brother of Lutheria, Lady of Dreams and Death (a fusion of Hades and Persephone). Worship of the Twins has waned during the Age of Peace (the past ~500 years). Most sacrifices, now, are made to the Five Gods, though sacrifices made to the Titans are periodically made to stave off their capricious wrath (offerings to Sydon for safe seafaring; petitions made to Lutheria for soothing dreams, etc.).

There are three major city-states in Thylea, at least among the settlers. Mytros is the foremost, founded by the goddess of the same name (Mytros, goddess of the Dawn) after the First War between the Titans, Dragonlords, and the Five Gods. It is now maintained by King Acastus, the last true descendant of the Dragonlords. He’s found a way to resurrect the dragons and seeks to rebuild the Order of the Dragonlords. The Great Games (ie, Olympics) take place in Mytros, which has helped the city develop into the most metropolitan of the three. Mytros’ brother-city is Estoria, an ancient stronghold against the fae races and ruled by Pythor, the God of Battle and mightiest of the Five. Finally, Aresia is Mytros’ rival, and the two have had constant skirmishes even throughout the Age of Peace. Given that warriors from Aresia and Mytros both believe that glory is earned in battle, it’s no surprise the armies continuously clash. Aresia is basically a mix of Troy and Sparta (this is a very rough approximation; history-buffs, don’t come after me).

Of note, not all settlers take root in the three city-states above. In fact, settlers have not ceased their journey into Thylea from the mysterious realms beyond her borders; outsiders trickle in every year, though nearly all by accident now as the furthest reaches of the Forgotten Sea are wreathed in perpetual maelstrom. Those new “settlers” that do arrive are often lost, stranded, and seek shelter where they can find it. Many shipwrecked arrivals near the Cerulean Sea have formed roaming bands, known as the Barbarians of the Gulf. These newcomers are more likely to carve out something of a harmony between the fae natives, but they’re still mistrusted and considered just as dangerous by those living in the larger cities. The most famous band of Barbarians are the Amazonians that live on the island of Themis.

Here’s a brief overview of the setting ripped straight from the book. I strongly encourage everyone seriously interested in applying to at least glance through the Player’s Guide for a more informative take on the setting, as well as including new information on Bronze Age weapons, armor, and equipment. Note that Thylea isn’t set on the Dark Sun world of Athas; bronze weapons and armor aren’t better or worse, on average, than traditional iron and steel blades and plates in other settings due to aesthetics Volkan’s, the God of the Forge, divine tinkering.

High Overview:
  • Ancient Thylea: For many ages, Thylea was a wilderness of centaurs, satyrs, cyclopes, and other creatures who worshiped their native gods, the Titans. Mortals who came to Thylea lived in small, defenseless tribes—until the arrival of the Dragonlords.
  • The Dragonlords: The Dragonlords were an order of heroic, dragon-riding mortals who came to Thylea five centuries ago. They initiated the First War against the Titans and defeated their armies. Most of the Dragonlords and their dragons were killed during this conflict.
  • The Five Gods: When all seemed lost, the mortals of Thylea were saved by the sudden appearance of the Five Gods, who walked the land in mortal guise. They forced the Titans into a temporary truce, called the Oath of Peace.
  • The Oath of Peace: The Oath of Peace has prevented open warfare with the Titans for five hundred years. But now, the truce is ending. The power of the Five Gods wanes, and the Titans prepare to wage war upon mortals once again.
  • The Oracle's Prophecy: At the beginning of the story, the heroes are chosen by the Oracle to confront the ancient Titans and end the conflict once and for all. This requires them to fulfill the Oracle's prophecy and rebuild the ancient order of the Dragonlords.

The Player's Guide to The Odyssey of the Dragonlords can be found, for free, HERE.

Elements of Mythic Heroism
  • Gods and Kings: Mythic heroes often contend with those in positions of power, both figurative and literal. The gods in mythic fantasy settings are often all-too-human: while they may be extremely powerful, they are not almighty; the gods and titans may have far-reaching schemes, but they are not all-knowing; and the powers that be are certainly not always benevolent. That said, it is foolish to outright disrespect the gods…unless you are able to rival their powers, and few mortals get to that point without help. Similarly, mythic heroes are also often called to parlay with mortal kings and queens, as the whims and wrath of gods and titans often requires a response from local leadership (as things can get apocalyptic from time to time). Rulers, like gods and titans, can be capricious. However, both gods and rulers also don’t spend their existence in some far-off plane: they walk the lands of Thylea and interact with the locals.
  • Oaths and Curses: Mythic heroes are often bound to their quests by powerful oaths. An oath spoken and agreed upon in Thylea is woven into the fabric of metaphysical existence by powers even more primordial than the gods. An oath broken results in curses that can turn food and drink to dust, to being banished by the Fates, or even a slow, painful transformation into a chimeric monstrosity. As such, few risk breaking an oath once sworn–and even the gods and Titans are bound by their Oath of Peace declared nearly 500 years ago.
  • Fame and Hubris: For mythic heroes, fame is the most direct route to immortality, though it comes at the cost of accruing hubris. Excessive pride has been the downfall of many great heroes of the past, and so heroes of today must work to strike a balance, as fame also comes with considerable perks.
  • Fate and Prophecy: Fate directs the lives of gods and mortals, yet she is often cruel to those who defy her. Every character has their own destiny, and prophecies allow heroes to rise to their own rather than being crushed by the weight of it. Dismissing prophecy is hubris in the highest order.
  • Comedy and Tragedy: Mythic heroes come from a variety of backgrounds, but they are often no stranger to tragedy. While heroes may not be born into tragedy, it will find them at some point. There are those who will rise to meet their fates and honor their oaths without faltering even if it costs them happiness in the short term; and then there are those who will balk at fate, shirk their oaths, and let tragedy consume them for a brief, vapid glimpse of happiness. Which will you be?

Character Creation

Finally, the good stuff! Here’s what I’m looking for in this game:
  • Number of Players: between 3 and 5. I might be open to adding a sixth, but the more players involved, the slower games tend to go.
  • Starting Level: 1st. We’ll be using Milestone Leveling, so you won’t stay at level 1 for a very long time.
  • Stats: I’m a fan of using stat arrays (16, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10) or 27-point buy. You can find a point-buy calculator here.
  • Wealth and Gear: Use the standard options for your chosen class and background (ie, no rolling for wealth).
  • Player Options Allowed: Any material from the Odyssey of the Dragonlords Player’s Guide or official WotC material is probably fine as long as it works well in a Greek-inspired setting or your character is notably an outsider. There’s an entire Epic Path for those who are outsiders to Thylea, who have been pulled into the story by Fate (The Lost One). That said, I only really want one of those characters, as an entire party of outsiders kind of defeats the setting theme. Also! I’m pretty open to homebrew as long as it’s (1) reviewed by me before implementation, (2) not from the DAndDWiki, and (3) maintains the setting theme. So, no Pokemon Trainers–but soul-binders who tame chimeric beasts, that’s a definite maybe! If in doubt, send me a message.
  • Long-Haul Players Only: As it says on the tin, this adventure runs from level 1 to 15, at least. With the newer edition, we have the option to take things to level 20 and get into some truly epic shenanigans. I’m looking for folks who can commit to at least a post per week, or notify the group if they need to be skipped so the momentum can continue. I understand that life happens, but I want this story to actualize as much as possible. As such, I’m only looking for players who will or have taken the Oath of Sangus–and in Thylea, you do not want to break an Oath.
  • Narrative Focus: While this is a 5e game, I’m drawn to the game’s story and ability to showcase some truly amazing feats of might and character development. I’m looking for solid writers in addition to solid role-players.
  • Tone: If you’re familiar with Greek tales, then you know that things can get kind of messy. There are often tales of bloody battles with magics that can push into full-on body horror territory. I’m a big fan of visceral writing, and so I’ll periodically lean into those elements, but the story will remain firmly focused on heroics and not horror. The game won’t push past PG-13 themes or scenes. Because of that, Evil characters won’t be making the cut.
  • Deadline: January 31st. That should be enough time to flesh out character concepts, at the very least. Do note that I’m primarily looking at character concepts, including epic destinies, during this application, so don’t fret too much about what your other 1st-level spell should be or what not. I’m putting together a band of main characters in an epic story, not (necessarily) looking at mechanical cheese (but, like…don’t get too power-gamey. Your character will share the divine limelight with the others).

Use the following template for your applications:
Application
  • Application Deadline: January 31st
  • Character Name:
  • Race:
  • Background:
  • Class (and intended subclass / build desires):
  • Epic Path: See the Spoiler below for more information on Epic Paths, but note that only one character with an Epic Path will be accepted. If three players are all vying for the Demi-God, then only one might be accepted. You have a better chance applying with an empty Epic Path, but your application isn’t guaranteed just because you’re the only one taking that particular path–again, I’m looking for a solid group dynamic, not necessarily at individual characters. That said, it's perfectly fine to leave some wiggle room with this choice during the application, but if you're going to, give me a list of two or three Epic Paths to make sure I'm not going to have any overlap with other characters.
  • Character Description (including any art or Hero Forge builds):
  • Brief Character History: You don’t need to write a book here, but enough to give me an idea of who your character is and where they come from.
  • Creative Writing Sample: Even at level 1, your character is on track to becoming a hero. They’ve already managed to carve out a bit of fame for themselves. As such, I want you to come up with 3 rumors about your character that locals might have heard along the way, and at least one of the rumors should be true about your character. Have fun with it, but keep it (somewhat) grounded–if your 1st level Hoplite Fighter single-handedly slew a cyclops, I’ll want some input on how that happened and how that encounter has affected them (scars, utilized dishonorable tactics, etc.). Also, keep these within the PG-13 guidelines of the site at large. Your character could have (tried) bedding a medusa, but keep the intimate details for Tumblr. NOTE: While I applaud everyone who has gone the extra mile and given me extra material relating to your character, for the application I only need the three rumors. You do not have to do both.

Epic Paths easy reference:

And Finally, A Bit About The DM

Howdy, I’m Chad. I’m relatively new to the site (I think I’ve been here for maybe a year now?), but I’ve had a passion for collaborative storytelling and role-playing for decades at this point (oof, that shift from “years” to “decades” is rough). I’ve been running D&D games with friends since 3rd edition and all through 5th edition, both in-person, online, and PbP. Additionally, I’m currently running a Masks: The New Generation game here, and I was a player in a Pathfinder 2e game as well, if you want to check out my GMing and writing styles.

If the 8 or so pages of this application wasn’t evidence enough, I’m a pretty narrative (read: long-winded) guy, for good or ill. I strive to make each of my posts as interesting and engaging as I can, even if it’s a simple paragraph to move the story forward. Sometimes I’m successful; sometimes I’m not, but I’ll still give it the good ol’ college try every time.

My goal as a GM is to make an epic and compelling narrative that each player feels they have both agency and support in. This is not my stoy, of course; it’s ours.

I’m excited to see what sort of characters we can bring to life together!

Character Applications!

PLAYER CHARACTER NAME RACE BACKGROUND CLASS EPIC PATH APPLICATION STATUS
Chylopan Saif Bahir al-Sulaiman Human Sailor Rogue (Swashbuckler The Lost One Complete!
LanceTheMan Raxus Minotaur Folk Hero Barbarian (Herculean Path) Dragonslayer or Cursed One Incomplete (needs Background and Rumors)
Amaryllis Delos Satyr Sage Bard (Epic Poetry, possibly multiclass rogue) Vanished One Incomplete (needs Background and Rumors)
GleefulNihilism Hypatia of Mytros Human Sage Wizard (Academy Philosopher - Empircism) Demi-God or Gifted One Complete!
Tahril Calliope Demetria Warforged* Warrior of Aresia* Fighter (Hoplite) Doomed One (open to change) Incomplete (needs Rumors)
Touketsu Aster Oread Nymph Urban Bounty Hunter Sorcerer (Demigod) Cursed One Complete!
Seeks x Thylean Leonin x x x Not Yet Started
DebiRedHair Peremides Centaur Inheritor Druid (Circle of Sacrifice) Doomed One or Haunted One Incomplete (needs Description, Background, and Rumors)
Nyx89 x x x x x Not Yet Started
Kaiya Oreia Siren Outlander* Warlock (Hexblade) Haunted One Incomplete (needs Description, Background, and Rumors)
Elanir Alcimos the Singer Nymph Hermit) Bard (Glamour) Haunted One (pref.) or Cursed One Complete!
npangalou x x x x x Not Yet Started
Jrod Leandros Eladrin* Folk Hero Ranger (Horizon Walker) None! (With potential for Gifted One or Demi-God) (mostly) Complete!
Alemar Karipos Aquileous Human Custom* Cleric (initially) Dragonslayer (open to change) Complete!

Posting Status: Let's Go!!

Last edited by FraterChad; Jan 10th, 2022 at 07:38 PM.
Old Jan 5th, 2022, 09:34 PM
Modron Manager

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4960
Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan
I was just talking to someone about wanting to get in on a mythological/historical campaign.

Application coming soon!
Old Jan 5th, 2022, 10:08 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
LanceTheMan
I call dibs on the Herculean Path Barbarian! This looks awesome!
Old Jan 5th, 2022, 10:10 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 206
Amaryllis Amaryllis Amaryllis
Application
right-aligned image

Character Name: Delos
Race: Satyr
Background: Sage
Class: Bard (College of Epic Poetry and maybe go rogue)
Epic Path: Vanished One
Character Description: Delos is a natural red head on both his head and the fur on his legs. He takes pride in his red hair that he always keeps in a braid and has managed to grow to his hips. Depending on his mood, Delos will decorate his hair in various flowers, a habit he still does even as he learns a bit more about city life.
Character History:
Writing Sample:
Old Jan 5th, 2022, 11:45 PM
The Good Doktor

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22099
GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism
Well, let's get this pig a' cookin'.

Application
  • Character Name: Hypatia of Mytros
  • Race: Human
  • Background: Sage
  • Class: Wizard (Academy Philosopher - Empircism)
  • Epic Path:
    - 1st Choice: The Demi-God, to her annoyance. Hypatia is actually certain that her father was the Academy's Librarian Theon and her mother was Theon's first wife Ophea who died in childbirth. Her intelligence however has led to rumors that she's actually a Demi-Goddess, daughter of the Goddess of Wisdom Vallus. Hypatia believes this is just superstitious and vaguely insulting nonsense but the true story of her birth is more complicated than she knows...
    - 2nd Choice: The Gifted One. [I actually like the story feeling of this one better, I just don't like the mechanics. With a rewrite of the mechanics I can be convinced to take this one instead.]
    right-aligned image
  • Character Description: Hypatia of Mytros is the daughter of the Theon of Mytros - himself rather well-known as the head Librarian at the Academy of Mytros. Somehow it's visibly obvious that she hasn't gotten as much Sunlight as most people do save through windows and the inkstains on her fingertips might be permenant. Preferring to dress for function instead of form, she probably would just dress in a literal sack if it was comfortable enough and she is rarely seen without writing materials of some kind. While not an absolutely stunning beauty, she has been described as attractive enough to attract suitors hilariously despite her absolute lack of decorum and style. She usually responds with a dismissive "I am already married to Truth".

While not considered as wise a philosopher as her father, Hypatia is considered every bit the Mathematician her father is. Both Theon and Hypatia find this mildly amusing, they both know that her mathematical skill passed her father's a long time ago. Frankly, she's been teaching Mathematics courses at the Academy since she was old enough to be a student and it only took that long because the administration was worried that the sons of nobles would not take well to taking classes being taught by a woman. Dedicated, some would say Obsessed, with Numbers and Mathematics she owns more tomes than most entirely families, and unlike her father she wrote many of hers herself. She has recently discovered that her mathematical skills also translate well to Wizardry and Magic, much to her annoyance. Great, another Distraction.
  • Brief Character History: Hypatia of Mytros was born to the philosopher/mathematician/librarian Theon of Mytros, Theon's first wife unfortunately dying in the process. As such she grew up surronded by the books of the famous Library of the Academy. It was like their own joke really, but for years only Theon and Hypatia recognized that there was something special about daddy's little girl. Sure, she was reading years ahead of her age but then one year Theon published his Commentary on the peerless mathematical treatises known as 13 Volumes of the Elements of Euclid. To everyone's surprise there were two authors listed, and "H" had some interesting points to make as well. Of course at the time only Theon and his daughter knew the second author was a pre-teen girl.

About the age most Students *apply* to the Academy, Hypatia was starting to teach courses. A controversal figure from the beginning, her classes none-the-less grew as did her reputation. Despite her half-mad reputation her prestigue did mean eventually she did get suitors coming to Theon. It is said that the first time a suitor came calling she dismissed him with "I am already married to Truth", the second time her father wisely turned him around with "she is already married to Truth".

Recently trying her hand with Magic, she has discovered that her mathematical training actually helps with the casting of spells as among the Wizardry practices. This is annoying and she views it as a distraction, but she does recognize it might be a handy skill to master in these troubled times. Might come in handy.
  • Creative Writing Sample:
    - Rumor 1: "She's a Demi-Goddess! A daughter of Vallus herself!". She just finds this rumor annoying and vaguely insulting, like she couldn't manage what she's accomplished without divine help. Actually, this one is sort of true. The real story of Hypatia's birth is more complicated than Hypatia knows and Vallus is involved.] This is only completely true if the Demi-Goddess Epic Path is chosen.]
    - Rumor 2: "She once Banished a Demon with a Wave of her Hands!". Also actually *kind of* true. A summoned demon once accidentally got loose in the Academy and tried to make a deal for her soul. After tricking it into bragging about its abilities which seemed to include planar travel, teleportation, time travel, and near-omniscience she told it to 'Get Lost'. Being as it was impossible for the demon to do this given it's stated abilities, the demon was in effect banished and its contracts at the Academy voided. Truth be told, she was distracted by a theorem she was working on anyway.
    - Rumor 3: "She is a Heretic and she should be Imprisoned for Heresy against the Gods!". This one is mostly untrue, but she does find the overreliance on religious doctrine and superstition of others around her annoying. She has read a few books and texts that allegedly drive readers mad with forbidden knowledge and come out fine, seemingly just by how strongly she didn't believe the associated curses were real.

Last edited by GleefulNihilism; Jan 5th, 2022 at 11:46 PM.
Old Jan 6th, 2022, 12:18 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3789
Tahril Tahril Tahril Tahril Tahril Tahril Tahril Tahril Tahril Tahril Tahril
Good to see another Oddyssey of the Dragonlords game! I do enjoy a mythological bronze age setting. Heres an application for a Warforged Hoplite Fighter.

Application for Calliope Demetria
right-aligned image
Character Name: Calliope Demetria

Race: Warforged

Background: Warrior of Aresia (Same as Warrior of Mytros but from Aresia instead)

Class (and intended subclass / build desires):Fighter, Hoplite, Defense style. (Tank, Defender, Bodyguard, Front line fighter)

Epic Path: Doomed One (Demigod, Dragonslayer, or Gifted One alternatives. With only one epic path allowed per player I’m fine with retooling the backstory to match any of these alternatives)

Character Description (including any art or Hero Forge builds):“She stood a full head taller than any other woman on the field. Some of the onlookers commented that she would be better suited to racing against the men. Her size wasn’t her only advantage in the Hoplite race though. While all the other contestants wore their armour, she was the only one there who *was* her Armor. Her bronze skin might at first glance be mistaken for impeccably sculpted muscle Armor, the type favoured by the rich and the powerful. The keen-eyed amount us noticed however that her armor moved with her steady breathing. If this was true though than that meant she was naked save for her masterfully forged helmet and sandals. though this was not uncommon for Aresian nobles.

When the signal was given, she took off with the others, racing around the track at terrific speeds. Her toned muscles flexed gracefully with every stride, evidence of a lifetime of practice and training. She reached the finish a full two seconds before the one in second place made it, to the roaring cheer of the crowds. She took off her helmet and confirmed what we knew to be true, as her face was as gleaming as the rest of her body. But despite bearing a naked body of Bronze, it was the resolve and jubilation in her steely green eyes that caught my attention.”

-Agathon Lasos, Writer, on seeing Calliope Demetria for the first time competing in a local Hoplite race

Brief Character History:

“She will be beautiful and fair, strong and wise. But on the eve of a great victory, she will be brought low. Her heart will be pierced, and she will die.”

This was the prophecy told to Calliopes parents when they took her to an Oracle to see what lay in her future. While it mentioned her ultimate demise, it failed to mention to contagious nature of her destiny. Her father died at war when she was 3. When she was 6 her mother died from sickness. Taken in by her aunt and uncle, they raised her as best she could before they both died as well from a fire that engulfed their home. Now 13 years of age, she was well aware of the fell destiny that awaited her, the words of the oracles prophecy constantly in her mind.

Fixating on the nature of her inevitable death, she enlisted in the Aresian City guard, determined to learn how to fight and to protect herself from anyone who would try to pierce her heart. Knowing of her destiny, the drill masters drove her harder than any other recruit, determined to make her wash out and quit, hoping to spare themselves the same fate that befell her family. But she endured everything they threw at her, and she emerged from two years of training skilled, fast, and stronger than ever.

It was all for naught however, as her first real combat she fought in saw her unit soundly defeated. The doomed newcomer, for all her strength, could not avoid her destiny. She was brought before the city council who determined that the prophecy, along with her history of spreading death to those around her, constituted a risk to the city that they could no longer tolerate. Stripped of her role in the city guard, she was sentenced to be exiled from Aresia. Distraught and depressed, Calliope knew that only the gods could help her now.

Using her training and skills, she lived as a hermit and pilgrim for the next few years, keeping the roads safe from bandits and monsters. She protected merchants and priests from afar, never getting to close to be seen, lest her fate pass to them as well. Word eventually spread of a guardian sentinel, who stood vigil over the roads and protected the traveling faithful. After saving a priest of the gods for the one hundredth time, she decided it was now time to ask for the gods help.

Traveling to a great temple to Volkan, she hid her face as she entered and knelt to the shrine to the forge god, made the signs against evil to ward of Sydon, and began praying. For three days and nights she did not move, hoping that Volkan would hear her and answer her pleas. She prayed for salvation, for acceptance, for protection against her fate. On the fourth day, she received her answer. Volkan had heard her prayers, had seen her fate, and knew of the good deeds she had done. Taking pity on the young woman, he reached out his hand and gently touched her chest. A warm glow began emanating from that spot, and began spreading all across her body. She screamed in pain as the glow reached her face and limbs. The priests watched in wonder as they witnessed a miracle of the Forge God firsthand. Volkan merely watched serenely as the transformation took place, and as soon as it started, it was over.

Catching her breath, Calliope looked over the changes to her body. Her olive skin had darkened and hardened, her flowing hair had set and become rigid. She no longer resembled a human at all, but rather a magnificently sculpted bronze statue. And at her heart, where Volkan had touched her, the spot gleamed as it reflected the light of the many torches around her. Looking up into his benevolent eyes, Volkan spoke to her.

“May this gift of Bronze I have given you help you face your fate. Continue in your deeds and protect the people all of your days.”

With her newfound body of bronze, Calliope threw herself headlong into dangerous situations, always coming out unscathed. The bronze had the additional benefit of covering her face, making her unnoticeable as the doomed child to all but a few. With a new identity and blessing from Volkan himself, she spent the next years of her life serving as a bodyguard, protecting respected, important, or otherwise rich individuals who could afford her services, every penny of her fee going to the temple of the 5 gods.

Now, along with other hero's in the land, she has been summoned by the Oracle, with tales that her ultimate fate can be altered. Not missing a beat, Calliope sets off to be rid of her foul destiny once and for all.

Creative Writing Sample:
1: "Sure, she might never feel the thrust of a spear or the impact of an arrow, but that means she will also never again know the taste of good wine, nor the touch of a lover..." - Hesiod, Reveler

2: "Do you truly think such a thing as that is a blessing? No, I say Volkan has cursed her, to live out the rest of her days as a sentinel so she may yet redeem her cursed past..." - Demophon, Scholar of Volkan

3: "I have spent my entire life forging the greatest armors the world has ever seen, and I can tell you that no armor, not even one from the gods, is without it weak points..." - Anastasios, Master Armorsmith

Last edited by Tahril; Jan 14th, 2022 at 10:22 PM.
Old Jan 6th, 2022, 10:55 AM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7281
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Aster
right-aligned image

Aster
Oread Nymph Sorcerer (Knowledge Demigod Origin)

Epic Path: The Cursed One

Background: Urban Bounty Hunter

Backstory: In Thylea, there is a mountain upon which sits an old temple of Vallus, the Goddess of Wisdom. It is said that the deity spent a great deal of time there during her time in mortal form, and that a part of her divine presence still remains within the mountain itself, bearing all manner of dangerous, wondrous things.

Lucky Aster the Oread emerged from this very mountain.

Like her sisters, Aster was evidence of the truth behind the legends, for Oread born of this mountain carried the dormant blood of Vallus herself within them. For Aster though, it seemed the connection was very much awake, and there seemed to be little at which the girl did not excel. Despite an apparent lack of skill or discipline, she regularly made games of besting her fellow nymphs in challenges of various sorts, from racing, to riddles, and even hunting. No matter her lack of training, the odds seemed to work in her favor nearly every time, gaining her the nickname “Lucky Aster.”

Luck is a fickle thing though, something Aster learned one day when violating one of her people’s oldest rules: never leave the mountain.

During a particularly rousing hunt, Aster pursued a great elk beyond the boundaries of their lands, eventually felling the creature with her magic. Little did she know, this particular elk was no regular animal, but a scout: a servant to Lutheria, Titan and Goddess of Death. Lutheria’s response was swift and terrible, paralyzing the nymph where she stood. It was likely her soul would have been taken that day, were it not for Lutheria detecting the divinity of her bloodline... and the bond she had broken by leaving the mountain.

Taking advantage of Aster’s hasty action, the goddess penetrated the defenses of the mountain, cursing it, and turning all of the Oread of Aster’s clan into statues of black onyx. Aster heard a voice in her head telling her that her sisters were trapped in these forms, unable to die, and unable to return to the earth, cut off from their natural world.

To a nymph, this was nothing short of a living hell, and Aster begged, pleaded with Lutheria to reverse the curse. Lutheria agreed to... on one condition. Aster was to become a collector of sorts for the Goddess of Death. From time to time, she would be called upon to hunt a person or beast, felling it and delivering its soul to the Underworld. A veritable bounty hunter for death, Aster and her family would not be free of this curse until one soul was delivered for each and every nymph upon the mountain. Should she die, or otherwise fail to complete this task... the curse would be permanent. As if this weren’t cruel enough, Lutheria cut Aster off from the majority of her divinely imbued fortune, leaving her magic, but stripping away the luck that had carried her to so many victories. Couldn’t make it too easy after all...

So now it is that “Lucky Aster” has embarked on her grim quest... to hunt down enough of Lutheria’s targets to buy freedom for her and the other Oreads.
Rumors

Last edited by Touketsu; Jan 10th, 2022 at 09:09 AM.
Old Jan 6th, 2022, 04:16 PM
Lion lion, burning bright

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 806
Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks
Much as I know jack about the Odyssey of the Dragonlords setting, color me intrigued. Always up for something Greek-myth-inspired. I'm still apprehensive about the Oath, but I'll give the presented lore a look and go from there for an application. But don't wait for me.

I'm considering a rogue, because the Odyssean subtype looks cool. I'm still trying to find a good reference, let alone an idea that works. I don't want to distort the setting in ways that wouldn't work, though. My initial draft for a character was a From the Theros sourcebookLeonin, and her concept was being a cultist to a supposed When a Greek god was associated with another god in antiquity. For instance, seeing Egypt's Thoth and Bast as weird versions of Hermes and Artemis. The Greek gods being adapted into Roman ones was another example.syncretism of Pythor. However, I really struggled to find a good way to justify that character concept, and I have no idea if that's antithetical a) to the setting and b) to what FraterChad has in mind for the campaign. Unless I have permission to find ways to square that specific circle, I'm back to the drawing board.

I know I have a name, and a backup race in mind -- Kyrie the Cunning, and probably a half-elf. Heck, I could probably find a meaningful way to tie her to Pythor either way. Seeing as the applications are due by the 31st, I've got time to mull this over. Sorry! :x

Suddenly, a summer breeze, and a mighty lion roar~ ♪
Oathbound

Last edited by Seeks; Jan 6th, 2022 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Having trouble with application ideas, and explaining why
Old Jan 7th, 2022, 01:57 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
LanceTheMan
Application
  • Character Name: Raxus
  • Race: Thylean Minotaur
  • Background: Folk Hero
  • Class: Barbarian (Herculean Path)
  • Epic Path:
    - 1st Choice: The Dragonslayer: Pretty straightforward--nearly all of his original tribe were slain by a dragon, leaving him the sole survivor. Even though this made him a folk hero for his survival, his survivor's guilt has plagued him ever since, and he has been burning for revenge ever since.
    - 2nd Choice: The Cursed One: His family, long ago, wronged one of the Fates--and the Fate has come to collect on his generation. He feels he has to find a cure, or else his entire tribe may fall.
    right-aligned image
  • Character Description: Raxus is a rising star in the Burox tribe of minotaur--large and powerful. Blazing red fur and a heaping mane of hair.
  • Brief Character History:
    To be written
  • Creative Writing Sample:
    To be written
[/QUOTE]
Old Jan 7th, 2022, 07:18 AM
Elegant Elven Redhead

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2114
DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair
Application
right-aligned image
  • Character Name: Peremides
  • Race: Thylean Centaur
  • Background: Inheritor
  • Class: Druid (Circle of Sacrifice)
  • Epic Path:
    - 1st Choice: The Doomed One: His father gifted him something when he left to go to the Oracle. This inheritance will help him to find the item that he needs to find to avoid his doom.
    - 2nd Choice: The Haunted One: His family were the rulers of a powerful tribe of Centaurs. They have disappeared and he needs to find them so that he can bring them to the glory they deserve.
  • Character Description: Peremides human aspect is powerfully muscled. He has dark hair which he wears in a ponytail, a neat black beard and dark eyes that seem to stare through people. He has a serious expression most of the time but will relax and become more humorous when he is amongst friends and family. His horse aspect is that of a black stallion - he stands over 15 hands high at the hip and his legs ripple with muscle.
  • Brief Character History: To be written
  • Creative Writing Sample:To be written

On phone at weekends so shorter and less frequent posts.

Last edited by DebiRedHair; Jan 11th, 2022 at 08:49 AM.
Old Jan 7th, 2022, 01:32 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 93
Nyx89
Wow, I downloaded the player's handbook for this and was reading through it a bit, and it looks really interesting and fun. Posting interest now and I'll work on an app soon.
Old Jan 7th, 2022, 06:12 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 652
Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya
Application
  • Character Name: Oreia
  • Race: Thylean Siren
  • Background: Outlander
  • Class (and intended subclass / build desires): Warlock (Hexblade)
  • Epic Path: Haunted One
  • Character Description: TBD
  • Brief Character History: TBD
  • Creative Writing Sample: TBD

Is it okay for Oreia's Outlander background to grant Performance instead of Athletics? Singing is a really important part of Siren culture.
Old Jan 7th, 2022, 06:21 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad
Quote:
Is it okay for Oreia's Outlander background to grant Performance instead of Athletics? Singing is a really important part of Siren culture.
Oh yeah. I'm fine with similar changes to backgrounds and the like. Plus, it works well with the character. Go for it!

Old Jan 7th, 2022, 11:23 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
I've gone ahead and added a table with the application information I've got so far. So! If your application isn't complete, make another post here to let me know that it is (just in case I don't notice while scanning through).

We've got some really interesting characters so far, and it's not even been open that long! I'm excited!

Old Jan 8th, 2022, 02:36 AM
The Good Doktor

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22099
GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism
To be honest, the Gifted One Epic Path has grown on me a bit. Kind of a tie now.