Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Starfinder > Dead Suns
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Sep 27th, 2019, 08:22 AM
Haroog!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 26483
ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove
Okay, sounds like we have some experience here--that's good. I'd be glad to hear what you guys think of the rules tinkering I've done.

On that note, it's come to my attention that FAQ/Errata (which I hadn't seen) also has alternate DCs for starship combat skills. From the look of it, they basically did what I did for Engineer and reduced (2 x ship's tier) to (1.5 x ships tier), which mitigates, but does not change the problem. As I said, for engineering, where the complexity of the ship would logically make fixing things more complicated, this makes sense. But for Pilot/SO/Captain, it still doesn't make sense that using things gets harder the more advanced the ship is. So for now we'll stick with what I have unless someone sees any major flaws with them.

Glad to see this discussion on balancing skills and sorting out starship combat roles. My goal was to get the character sheets all sorted out and reviewed by Monday and start the game posts then, but if you guys need more time, that's okay too.
Old Sep 27th, 2019, 09:13 AM
Haroog!

Tools
User Statistics
ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove
ALSO - Private threads are up in the Coded Messages folder.
Old Sep 27th, 2019, 10:05 AM
Weepin-Belle

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23528
Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok
Thanks for pointing out those other Themes, Khalil! I haven't yet really looked at anything from Pact Worlds. Man... I honestly think that Biotechnician matches T'aro's story the best. And I think that it would be a really nice story arc for them to eventually have augmentations. They're generally somewhat fearful of augmentations on themselves because it's a very sudden change to the body/mind that is extremely difficult to undo (whereas most forms of meditation / mind alteration are more temporary). But they also worry that their fear of augmentation is holding them back from more grand experiences. I think it would be an excellent story arc to have T'aro finally take the plunge and get an augmentation, then use industry connections in Verces to get more, etc... It's got maybe the least optimal skill bonus for level 1, but that's a small price to pay.

ruffdove, would you be alright with me changing my theme to Biotechnician? If so, I think I'm going Biotechnician, Xenodruid connection. I think I've got feat sorted (Skill Synergy to pick up Physical Science and Computers), and I'm working out which spells seem best for T'aro (and the party). The biggest barrier still standing in front of me is equipment, which I'll try to sort out by Monday.

Gosh, that code is ugly as hell, but the end result sure looks nice.
Old Sep 27th, 2019, 10:46 AM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3141
Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unko Talok View Post
Gosh, that code is ugly as hell, but the end result sure looks nice.
You can say that again!
Old Sep 27th, 2019, 11:45 AM
Haroog!

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unko Talok View Post
ruffdove, would you be alright with me changing my theme to Biotechnician?
Yes, and that goes for everyone. Before we get the game thread under way, I am good with any theme changes as long as they still make sense with the character's background. I think Biotechnician works just fine with T'aro's back story... in fact, it might make even more sense than scholar.

Yeah, the code for that character sheet ain't pretty. I tried breaking up the lines some to clarify them, but they got mashed back together for some reason. I know this is especially tough for the newcomers to the site. As I said, the important thing is you get the information down in a somewhat readable format.

Once game thread posting commences, I would like you guys to include the character sheets in each post within a spoilerbutton. I do this in all my PF games and find the following benefits:
  • It's a nice quick reference without having to swap windows to my character sheet (or in the case of Starfinder, swapping back to the character's thread);
  • It lets me track temporary changes (HP, spells cast, abilities used, etc) with each post;
  • It makes life way easier on the GM, letting him look up stuff quickly without switching threads, etc.
  • It's just a quick cut/paste from the previous post to add it.

EDIT: The best thing about the sheet is that updating it is a lot easier than creating it.

Last edited by ruffdove; Sep 27th, 2019 at 11:47 AM.
Old Sep 27th, 2019, 12:55 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18321
Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffdove View Post
I'd be glad to hear what you guys think of the rules tinkering I've done.
The changes for starship combat are pretty similar to what the GM of my last game did. If two independent people come up with something so alike, that's a good sign in my book.

The firing in melee sounds like a sensible change.

And, for the record, I really like character advancement by GM fiat. Apart from being better suited to PbP, it also removes any potential feeling someone might have to kill anything that moves and is slightly antagonistic, just for the XP.
Old Sep 27th, 2019, 12:55 PM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9237
Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide
Does my current character sheet look okay? I will be translating it over to the new format, but I just wanted to make sure mine is at least serviceable.

I also greatly endorse Leveling by GM decision. I use it even in my IRL games. Not just because I don't like calculating xp, but because most of my players never bother to FREAKING TRACK their xp points so we end up with characters with thousands of xp in difference. So frustrating!

Last edited by Runetide; Sep 27th, 2019 at 12:59 PM.
Old Sep 27th, 2019, 03:56 PM
Weepin-Belle

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23528
Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok
I'm hopeful that I can have everything squared away by Monday to start the game. As my signature says, things are a bit hectic at the moment. Every time I think I've managed to get things under control for the past few weeks, I've had a sudden massive amount of extra dumped on me. Looks like I'll be working through the weekend, again. =/

So I may wind up slowing us down a little. But I'll try not to.
Old Sep 27th, 2019, 06:57 PM
Haroog!

Tools
User Statistics
@Blackfyre: Thanks for the feedback. I'm always open to sanity checks.

@Runetide: Yes, Vette's stats and everything look good. I sent you a note in your private thread... which is in the folder I cutely named "Coded Messages" instead of just "Private Threads."

@Unko: Getting started by Monday would be great, but if it's a couple of days later, no big deal. In fact, since the very first post doesn't plunge the party directly into a situation where having all the stats lines up matters so much, I'll probably commence with the game thread Monday even if there's a player or two who hasn't dotted all the i's and crossed all the t's.
Old Sep 28th, 2019, 02:30 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18321
Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre
@Runetide: that's one really awesome combat armor! Grix'll love it!
Old Sep 28th, 2019, 02:58 AM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9237
Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide
@Blackfyre: Yeah I really liked it! Vette thinks standard colors are boring and neon pink is her favorite color! It also is non-traditional and she likes that.
Old Sep 28th, 2019, 09:25 AM
Haroog!

Tools
User Statistics
Quick note to all:

Every character has a comm unit that does not cost anything. It can look like whatever you want it to look like, but the most common ones look pretty much like iPhones. Key characteristics:
  • Operate as planet-wide cell phones on civilized planets and have a range of about five miles on uncivilized planets;
  • Can access infospheres when they are present;
  • They have a map/direction feature, so if you know the name or address of a place, your comm unit can guide you (in most civilized areas);
  • They have a GPS feature that can direct you to known coordinates on most civilized planets or moons;
  • Can take photographs and record video and audio;
  • Play music and games.

Customary vs. Metric vs. Light Speed

In starships and when discussing near space distances, metric is preferred in the Pact Worlds--this is a matter of safety. Farther space distances are discussed in terms of light speed over time: this many light minutes, that many light years. Generally km will be used up to 300,000 km (approximately 1 light second), after which light seconds, minutes, hours, days, and years will be used.

When discussing ground distances and creatures or objects, Golarion races/cultures tend to default to customary. Even scientists and engineers will often do this, though they'll move to metric for formal experiments and design plans and the like so as not to create confusion. Signs and official sources in places predominantly populated with Golarion races will still use the customary measures in many cases.

Most other races have officially gone to metric, although each race has its own customary system and it is still not uncommon for beings of any race to revert to their customary measures in informal discussion. Some people in certain cultures, like Eox, will deliberately use their customary systems when dealing with others as a way to assert their culture as more advanced.

Last edited by ruffdove; Sep 28th, 2019 at 09:28 AM.
Old Sep 28th, 2019, 11:06 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 624
Lord99 Lord99 Lord99 Lord99 Lord99 Lord99
Okay, character sheet posted . . . I may still do some tidying (deleting empty entries and whatnot), but if anyone could spare a couple of minutes to give it a look, I'd appreciate it!
Old Sep 28th, 2019, 11:49 AM
Haroog!

Tools
User Statistics
Lord99: Kursk looks like he's ready to roll. A couple of minor comments:

- You can delete the spells/powers section if you like. If Kursk later takes a level in a class that grants him such powers, you can just cut the section from the code in my post and paste it back in. Up to you. You said this already, sorry.
- For damage type on a vesk's natural weapons... I would say it's mostly bludgeoning (fist, headbutt, tail slap), but the claws (clearly visible in the Soldier illustration, but not in others where vesk are shown wearing gloves) would be slashing. We'll say for the sake of playability that vesk hand wear has apertures in the fingers that allow your claws through. So when you use your natural weapons attack, it'll be your choice of B or S type damage. Sound good?

Last edited by ruffdove; Sep 28th, 2019 at 11:50 AM.
Old Sep 28th, 2019, 12:02 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 624
Lord99 Lord99 Lord99 Lord99 Lord99 Lord99
Sounds good, thank you!