Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Starfinder > Dead Suns
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Sep 29th, 2019, 08:15 AM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3141
Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx
Character sheet about done. Certainly enough there to begin play!

Generated in hero lab, so shouldn't be any issues, but I wouldn't mind anyone having a look over!
Old Sep 29th, 2019, 10:33 AM
Haroog!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 26483
ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove
Matsu is good to go. That's four down and Mendev actually looks close enough to ready to begin play.

I am going to go ahead and put up the game thread tomorrow. I'm confident Unko Talok will get T'aro ready before their stats are really needed.

Nevynxxx - since I think this site's format is new to you, I have created a folder above the game threads called Coded Transmissions. In that folder you have a private thread that only you and I can see. I'm about to post a question to you in that thread.
Old Sep 29th, 2019, 11:10 AM
Weepin-Belle

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23528
Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok
I'm in the process of putting T'aro together right now. I'm hopeful that I'll have at least a rough draft of them and their statblock/posting format ready to go by tomorrow.

Adding to the business, though-- IronDM just opened. Last year I lost to Inem by ~2 points. I'd really like to participate again this year, but it may cause some minor delays on my end in the coming weeks. The timing couldn't really be worse, with my work schedule. But darn it, I could be a contender!

Last edited by Unko Talok; Sep 29th, 2019 at 11:10 AM.
Old Sep 29th, 2019, 12:14 PM
Weepin-Belle

Tools
User Statistics
Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok
Aaaand, I believe that my character sheet is done. Some things:
  • I'm not 100% sure on the deity, but I'm starting to be pressed for time. So subject to change?
  • Languages: I start with Taldane, and then have +2 Int (so +2 languages). I assumed that I got Shirren for free, but had to pay for Vercite? Could you confirm? Do I get my homeworld's language for free, or do I have to pay for it?
  • For spells, I chose Mystic Cure and Identify. I considered remove affliction, lesser, but opted against because it doesn't "level up" to the higher level versions of removing afflictions. Seems like a poor choice in a system that allows for scaling spells. But if anyone has suggestions on other spells I should take, I'm open to modifying my selections.
Old Sep 29th, 2019, 12:23 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18321
Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre
Remember, you also get a language for every rank you put into Culture.
Old Sep 29th, 2019, 01:03 PM
Don't quit, don't give up

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15320
Khalil Khalil Khalil Khalil Khalil Khalil Khalil Khalil Khalil Khalil Khalil
Yes, mostly done. I just need to do equipment. Which won't be too hard considering what I already have has made me borderline broke.

Computers are giving me a headache, I know how to build one, I'm just not exactly sure what the hell does it do LOL.
Old Sep 29th, 2019, 03:20 PM
Haroog!

Tools
User Statistics
ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove
@Unko:

Per the rules, a character begins play speaking Taldane (Common), their racial tongue (if any), and the language of their homeworld (which is going to just be Taldane for Absalom Station, Akiton, and most of the Diaspora). Then they get bonus languages based on their INT score. Or not. And Blackfyre is correct, you get a bonus language for each rank in culture. Assume that technology and magic have been advanced to a point where they can facilitate easy learning and retention of languages between levels if a person puts in the study time. So to answer your question: no, you don't have to pay for Vercite.

Also, Shirren (and Lashunta) have telepathy. This means they can communicate with ANY intelligent creature that has a language (doesn't have to be one of yours). So if you meet an uncontacted alien race, you can speak to it telepathically and it will hear your thoughts in its language. It will be a one-way conversation, however, unless the creature is also telepathic.

Also also, the spell Share Language lets you grant one of your languages to an intelligent being for a period of time. So you can cast the spell on a member of that same uncontacted alien race and he will suddenly be able to understand Taldane (and speak it if he is capable of creating the right sounds). Don't have my book in front of me right now, but I believe there are other spells that can help break the language barrier.

Remember that when you pick a scaling spell, you can cast it at the highest level you have it. So when you go up in level, pick the spell again to be able to cast at the higher level... AND drop it at the lower level and pick up remove affliction. If you would RATHER have remove affliction now, remember that you'll have to pick the scaling spell at the higher level anyway.

Also, feel free to "convert" to a new deity whenever you like. That won't hold us up. It is much more of an RP thing and far less mechanical than Pathfinder.

@Khalil

Computers... yeah. Well, you all have a Tier 0 computer in your comm unit, and with it, you can take 20 on any recall knowledge check as long as you're in range of an infosphere. A higher tier computer with purchased data units on various subjects can let you take that 20 even when you are out of range of an infosphere. Computers can also be used to remotely hack into other computers and get data not on the infosphere. They can also remotely hack into things (like your enemy's robotic legs), though we don't have a mechanic in the group.

There is a good answer to the question of computers on stackexchange here.

I'm still wrestling with what else computers will do in this campaign, but the above is a decent start.

EDIT: final note - For our Pathfinder players new to Starfinder, this stackexchange entry does a nice job of covering the most important differences between the systems.

Last edited by ruffdove; Sep 29th, 2019 at 03:27 PM.
Old Sep 29th, 2019, 03:47 PM
Haroog!

Tools
User Statistics
Another note on languages:

Rather than do the whole secret text thing, my plan was to just have all the dialogue in a language spoken by any PC in English (maybe with different colors denoting other languages being spoken) with the understanding that the speaker(s) in the party would translate. For bluff, diplomacy, or intimidate, however, only the speakers' skill would be usable. So player A can understand and say things to an alien with the understanding that player B would translate. But Player A could not conduct diplomacy through B, it would be on B to make the social skill roll. Does that sound good to everyone?

With this in mind, any changes in languages anyone wants to make in the next few days are fine.
Old Sep 29th, 2019, 03:56 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 624
Lord99 Lord99 Lord99 Lord99 Lord99 Lord99
I think that language note sounds good, definitely speeding up relaying information from NPCs, as well as providing encouragement for people to know languages and not just have the party behave as one collective.

The only thing I might add is that perhaps the 'speaker' makes an Aid Another check, while the 'translator' then makes the true check - to show that the speaker can at least give the translator good raw material to work off of. It wouldn't seem to make things too complex - it could be posted as 'speaker' post with AA check, then 'translator' post with real check, or (if agreed to OOC), the 'speaker' can make both checks with the 'translator's' permission, using the translator's skills, so that the 'translator' doesn't have to make a 'I repeat everything they just said' post.

Just a few thoughts!
Old Sep 29th, 2019, 04:06 PM
Haroog!

Tools
User Statistics
Yes, that makes sense. A character attempting a Dip/Bluf/Int check against an NPC in a given language can be aided by someone who doesn't speak that language but is aware that their teammate is trying to persuade.
Old Sep 29th, 2019, 04:17 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 624
Lord99 Lord99 Lord99 Lord99 Lord99 Lord99
Time for a little Cyrano de Bergerac!
Old Sep 29th, 2019, 06:15 PM

Tools
User Statistics
I believe the limited telepathy of the lashunta and Shirren require a shared language.
Old Sep 29th, 2019, 06:43 PM
Weepin-Belle

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalil
I believe the limited telepathy of the lashunta and Shirren require a shared language.
Yeah, this is true for Shirrens, at least.

So, Taldane, for free, Shirren for Free, and Vercite for free. +2 for my Int score, and +1 for culture, I think.
Old Sep 30th, 2019, 02:14 AM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3141
Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unko Talok View Post
Yeah, this is true for Shirrens, at least.

So, Taldane, for free, Shirren for Free, and Vercite for free. +2 for my Int score, and +1 for culture, I think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Core Rulebook page 48
Lashuntas can mentally communicate with any creatures within 30 feet with whom they share a language.
Yep, Lashunta too.
Old Sep 30th, 2019, 05:13 AM

Tools
User Statistics
I believe I am done with Mendev's sheet. Take a look let me know if I missed something.

Changed Expertise from Computers to bluff, as I figured it would come in more handy in combat. Later I'll pick up computers.