Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Starfinder > Dead Suns
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Oct 10th, 2019, 08:39 AM
Haroog!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 26483
ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove
Okay, from this point forward we'll count that flat-footedness for Grix's attack only ('til she's 4th level), but based on what's written in the rulebook, I think my interpretation was pretty reasonable. That's the peril of a crunchy system, though--you don't have to play very long (what did we get... three rounds in?) to run into something the rules aren't 100% clear on.

It raises another question though. The trick attack flatfoots an opponent "only against the single attack roll of the trick attack." Why not just say that a successful trick attack gives the operative +2 to hit?? Why even bring the flatfooted condition into the equation? Because flatfootedness also implies that the operative could trick attack and then back out of a threatened square with no AOO... but that's not the case if the condition only applies to that one single attack roll. They overcomplicated it.
Old Oct 10th, 2019, 09:50 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18321
Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre
I nearly fully agree with you. Since Trick Attack is a full round action, though, backing out of the square again isn't really possible. (When I wrote the last post I was wondering if I should point out to the others that the target is now flatfooted, but noticed the imprecise wording in the description. That's why I looked it up in the first place.)
Old Oct 10th, 2019, 10:50 AM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9237
Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffdove View Post
It raises another question though. The trick attack flatfoots an opponent "only against the single attack roll of the trick attack." Why not just say that a successful trick attack gives the operative +2 to hit?? Why even bring the flatfooted condition into the equation?
I'm just going to chip in with the rules on flat-footed as presented on the SRD:
"You take a 2 penalty to AC, and you cannot take reactions or make attacks of opportunity."

There are possibly some creatures or character options that would let them use a reaction to do something that would otherwise mess with the trick attack. Even if there aren't at the moment, I would consider that future-proofing the system for if they do include abilities that are reactions later. The ability to make it last until the next turn coming later would be greatly effective later on.
Old Oct 10th, 2019, 12:03 PM
Haroog!

Tools
User Statistics
ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove
Fair point, Runetide. It seems that a lot of SF rules are written with future expansion and options in mind. This could be one of them.

BTW - nice shot on green-mohawk ganger...
Normally I'd remind you that you roll a second damage die whenever you score a critical, but in this case you would merely be complicating things for the cleanup crew.

We are whipping through this combat! For me, that's due in large part to the fact that I have been home from work a lot this week (sick kids, nothing major). Post-per-day won't be the norm, but it is kind of cool to have things moving like this during a combat.
Old Oct 10th, 2019, 01:30 PM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide
Quote:
Fair point, Runetide. It seems that a lot of SF rules are written with future expansion and options in mind. This could be one of them.

BTW - nice shot on green-mohawk ganger...
Normally I'd remind you that you roll a second damage die whenever you score a critical, but in this case you would merely be complicating things for the cleanup crew.

We are whipping through this combat! For me, that's due in large part to the fact that I have been home from work a lot this week (sick kids, nothing major). Post-per-day won't be the norm, but it is kind of cool to have things moving like this during a combat.
Yeah, I noticed that with SF, but they REALLY got into future-proofing their system when they did 2nd Edition Pathfinder (I know a few of the devs, not personally but enough to see some of their thought processes, so I found they really did learn from 1st edition!)

Yeah... I could have rolled another damage die, but I was already overkilling, so a whole nother 5-16 damage would have just led to more gore the janitors would need to clean! :3

I'm also a stay at home parent, so I tend to be able to post anytime unless I'm out of spoons (or spell slots, in my preferred terms). Kids are wonderful, but also a drain. and a mess.
Old Oct 11th, 2019, 12:58 AM
Haroog!

Tools
User Statistics
Dang, two crits this round! And some awfully bad rolling by the gang members. I'm not going to come up with a calamity for every natural 1, but in this case, the way the NPCs were lined up was kind of begging for it, and it was just one point of damage.

Maybe you all can end things this turn.
Old Oct 11th, 2019, 01:10 AM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
Probably!

Just a concern of mine. This is the second turn in a row that my marker hasn't been moved even though I'm declaring said moves in my turn action. Is that a problem with the map thingy?
Old Oct 11th, 2019, 07:21 AM
Haroog!

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runetide View Post
Probably!

Just a concern of mine. This is the second turn in a row that my marker hasn't been moved even though I'm declaring said moves in my turn action. Is that a problem with the map thingy?
A quick analysis suggests that was caused by a problem between the keyboard and the chair. Will fix it in the next iteration, but assume your next move occurs from where you should be, not where the map says you are.
Old Oct 11th, 2019, 08:49 AM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3141
Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx
Quote:
Kids are wonderful, but also a drain. and a mess.
Oh yeah, this. I've had less spoons than usual this last few weeks partly for obvious reasons and partly not. This game is definitely helping with that though, and I too am loving the pace of this combat!
Old Oct 11th, 2019, 10:07 AM
Weepin-Belle

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23528
Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok
So, I understand that people saying they have more/less/so-many "spoons" has grown a bit beyond the origins... but is the original source for that Jenny Lawson's "Furiously Happy" book? My wife read that and has been using the phrase since then.
Old Oct 11th, 2019, 10:24 AM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3141
Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unko Talok View Post
So, I understand that people saying they have more/less/so-many "spoons" has grown a bit beyond the origins... but is the original source for that Jenny Lawson's "Furiously Happy" book? My wife read that and has been using the phrase since then.
I'm pretty sure it pre-dates her book, but I definitely picked it up first from one of her blog posts.
Old Oct 11th, 2019, 12:30 PM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
It's at this point I must thoroughly, officially apologize to the Janitorial staff for the mess Vette is making.
Old Oct 11th, 2019, 12:35 PM
Haroog!

Tools
User Statistics
I had never heard this metaphor before so I looked it up.

Quote:
The term spoons in this sense was coined by Christine Miserandino in 2003 in her essay "The Spoon Theory". The essay describes a conversation between Miserandino and a friend. The discussion was initiated by a question from the friend in which she asked about what having lupus feels like. The essay then describes the actions of Miserandino, who took spoons from nearby tables to use as a visual aid. She handed her friend twelve spoons and asked her to describe the events of a typical day, taking a spoon away for each activity. In this way, she demonstrated that her spoons, or units of energy, must be rationed to avoid running out before the end of the day. Miserandino also asserted that it is possible to exceed one's daily limit, but that doing so means borrowing from the future and may result in not having enough spoons the next day.
Source: Wikipedia
Now it's in my quiver.
Old Oct 11th, 2019, 12:36 PM
Haroog!

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
It's at this point I must thoroughly, officially apologize to the Janitorial staff for the mess Vette is making.
LOL -- they'll send her a bill. Now I have to get over to the game thread and see what you've done now!
Old Oct 11th, 2019, 01:14 PM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
LOL -- they'll send her a bill. Now I have to get over to the game thread and see what you've done now!
I... Uh... It turns out B3 had a sudden onset acute doshko allergy.