DnD5e Ptolus: City By The Spire And The Curse of The Dying - Page 3 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Jan 24th, 2022, 03:12 AM
Read It With A Smile!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 33358
Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath
Go forth and prosper
Old Jan 24th, 2022, 05:36 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12448
Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser
Hey Gath, this looks very interesting. I have two questions

- what is the expected posting rate? My life is pretty busy which means I can manage one post per two weeks.
- Iím not that familiar with DnD 5th, so it might take some time for me to grasp the system properly.

Greetz,

BC
Old Jan 24th, 2022, 06:21 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2032
Hillsy7 Hillsy7 Hillsy7 Hillsy7 Hillsy7 Hillsy7 Hillsy7 Hillsy7 Hillsy7 Hillsy7 Hillsy7
Hi Gath, also very intrigued by the set-up and setting. Gives me big Early Neverwinter Nights vibes mixed with 17th century Europe.

Percolating a few ideas and just had a couple of questions so I can whittle them down.

1) Are you using Origins from Tashas (Moving racial stat bonuses, swapping proficiencies)?
2) Are there any special things we need to consider regarding some of the stranger races (e.g. Tortles, Shifters, Loxodon, etc)?
3) Because they don't always fit - are Artificers OK, and are you allowing Firearms?
4) What's the broad tone you're going for? It looks mostly heroic with a slightly darker backdrop to the world, but obviously there's a lot of swing in that.
5) How much latitude do we have for making up Places/Organisations that aren't directly referenced for background purposes? Obviously with the city being the main location I'm not imagining you need/want too much create there.
6) Lastly, how much of a threat will The Dying feel like day-to-day in Ptolus? The game description sounds like Ptolus is the last bulwark, so 'normal' life is basically on hold while everyone waits to see if the plague will sweep that away too. Or is it more that there's been some major incidents on the continent, but in general society is functioning ok, just with a heightened awareness or danger elsewhere?

Thanks!
Old Jan 24th, 2022, 01:47 PM
Read It With A Smile!

Tools
User Statistics
@ All: Posting expectations are roughly once a week. I find this to be a pretty comfortable posting rate. It can sometimes take more or less time during combat due to waiting for everyone to post, updating maps, and writing summaries. Ideally, combats would be faster, but in my experience, things tend to bog down during encounters, and I don’t like to put unnecessary pressure on my players. I’m looking for a comfortable game, but I will update without someone to keep the game rolling.

@ Battlechaser: It’s great to see you again! I would love to have you in the game and 5e is pretty easy to learn. I’m not sure about starting out at one post per two weeks. Things tend to slide toward fewer posts once things start and I will want to have some momentum in the beginning. I encourage you to apply, but also, I encourage you to audit your availability and see if you can manage 1/week.

@ Hillsy7: Neat avatar! Very confounding imagery, but super intriguing.

1) I think that I will skip Tasha’s Origins. It will be crazy enough with all races open. Being able to switch stats and proficiencies around seems like cherry picking to me and I am not sure how to maintain balance for that.
2) Special Consideration for Stranger Races? I’m not sure that I understand your question here. The way the game is designed is that Ptolus is a fairly open minded city, but this is a unique situation due to the plague and lots of different people are showing up to be let in. Those wilder, crazier, more niche races will likely receive some glares and stares and even some open discrimination. Being a Citizen will probably help to mitigate some of that, but probably not all. It depends on your actions in the city as well. If you become a murderer, then people will probably not like you one bit. People tend to loathe thieves once they are discovered pilfering from citizens’ coffers. Etc. Do unto others and all that.
3) Artificers, YES! … Firearms, YES!
4) Tone: Mostly Heroic with a slightly darker backdrop to the world, but obviously there’s a lot of swing in that - Well said! How do you feel about appropriation?
5) Making up Places and Organizations: Give me some ideas and I will be happy to talk to you about them. There are already tons and tones of these, so I would prefer that you draw from what’s already available.
6) They Dying is a very new phenomenon and people are trying to figure out how to deal with it. Places are being overrun, cities are collapsing, and people are dying. It’s pretty wild and intense as everyone is trying to adjust and make sense of what is going on. It will be a major issue until resolved.

Last edited by Gath; Jan 24th, 2022 at 01:47 PM.
Old Jan 24th, 2022, 02:42 PM
BlackDragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3391
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0
app done except for a image
Old Jan 24th, 2022, 08:41 PM
The Queen of Ice

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16371
girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gath View Post
@ Girlplay: Great work. Descriptive but also succinct. Nicely written. I am honestly disappointed that your family are relegated to a single word tt tag. I feel that they are important enough to merit their own space and integration within your bio. If you intend to seek them out at some point, even if there is some deadly plague out there - assuming you get into Ptolus - why not talk about them instead of leaving them as a footnote in your Bond description?
Good idea. I shall...
Old Jan 25th, 2022, 03:45 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8055
Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy
App complete.

Character Concept
right-aligned image

Name: Reivald Copperpot
Gender Identity: Male
Race: Rock Gnome
Class: Sorcerer (Clockwork Soul)

Description:
Reivald is a short, tiny humanoid man who is going bald at his young age already with streaks of gray in his black beard. He has a high forehead and olive skin, with bushy eyebrows and brown eyes that seem to burn with curiosity. His large nose appears almost comical on his small frame, and he has thin lips and a delicate looking jaw. His ears are large and stick out to the side, and his gloved hands are thin and quick. On his forehead is a specialized monocle that allows him to see tiny objects up close, as well as some precision tools he finds necessary to keep handy. He wears a loose buttoned yellow shirt and tan trousers underneath a leather apron, from which has many small pockets and flaps for various tools and trinkets he might need. Sturdy brown shoe adorn his feet which appear much too large for his body.

Character Background:
Reivald was born into a large community of rock gnomes who called the subterranean depths under the Dragonsbirth Mountains their home. His people kept close trade relations with the nearby dwarven clans and with the elves of Paelinth, whom was the major destination for the more adventurous of rock gnomes. Reivald was one of the latter, as he sought to join one of the many guilds represented there and felt a natural fit with the watchmakers and tinkerers. Ever since he was a boy, he was fascinated with clocks. He loved the ticking and the chiming, the precision movements of the gears inside, the fine details, the perfection of being perfectly in synch with the passing of time. To him tinkering with clocks felt as natural as breathing, so it was no surprise to his parents when their only son sought an apprenticeship in Paelinth to become a watchmaker. Reivald was a dedicated and hard working apprentice. His master (a dwarven fellow by the name of Reinhold Gunderbeam) was more than pleased with his apprentice who soaked up everything that was taught to him, worked long hours without complaint, and clearly had the same passion that he did. Soon Reivald earned his place as a full fledged watchmaker and was working alongside Reinhold in Paelinth, enjoying his life quite nicely, thank you very much.

All of that changed the day elven adventurers brought in some trinkets for he and Reinhold to investigate, for they knew not their origin nor their worth. Reivald's attention was immediately drawn to a strange medallion that seemed to show a world in tiers, each section of the world sitting on a large moving gear. It was the strangest thing Reivald had ever seen and he had never heard of such a thing before. As he tinkered with it to try to discover how it worked and what kind of craftsmanship was inside, he accidentally pinched his finger, drawing blood. He thought nothing of it and chastised himself for being so excited that he did not properly glove up beforehand. After he and Reinhold finished appraising the items, watched the adventurers leave. Reivald yearned to keep the odd device for himself, but he simply did not have the funds to purchase it from the adventurers based off of their assessment. Sucking his injured digit, Reivald moved on.

That night, however, his entire world was flipped upside down. He dreamed of the world moving on gears, of strange bronze automatons marching in synch, all ruled by a large bronze-like man of machined beauty attached to an enormous source of power by hoses. And that is when he felt the power enter his body. The strange tingling feeling of magic, magic he innately knew, he could feel, he could sense. Initially shocked, Reivald threw himself into unlocking his magical talents as much as his engineering talents, and soon he had some small mastery over what he could do. He also learned from obscure reference materials that what he saw in his dream could be another plane known as "Mechanus", although he knows the name only and nothing more at this time. He is still very much an amateur in terms of magical talent, as it was shortly after his discovery that the first rumors of the plague arrived. Scoffing it off as fiction at first, soon Reivald received a letter from his parents urging him not to return - the entire community had fallen ill, and the people were dying. When the plague came to Paelinth, Reivald and Reinhold decided it was time to leave themselves. The two immediately set off for Ptolus, but they were not on the road long before they discovered Reinhold too suffered from the disease. Upon agreement of both men, Reivald painfully had to put a bolt into the skull of his best friend and mentor to grant him a merciful death before he continued on to Ptolus and safety.

Background Archetype: Guild Artisan (Watchmakers and Tinkerers)

Traits: I can easily be drawn into a long conversation about all sorts of subjects, and find it hard to recognize when I need to stop. I tend to click my tongue repeatedly when I am thinking about something. Whenever I get my hands on something, I immediately start looking at its construction and how to best take it apart.
Ideal: Curiosity. I burn with desire to learn more about everything and anything!
Bond: I need to find more items like the medallion I saw that can give me more insight into the world I have seen.
Flaw: I sometimes get hyper focused on something, and cannot see the big picture around me.

Last edited by Grouchy; Jan 25th, 2022 at 10:30 PM.
Old Jan 25th, 2022, 04:01 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 127
ProjectLazarus ProjectLazarus
Another question for Gath -- I did read the advertisement this time, and I noticed that the ability scores are "30 point buy, max 16". Now, that's different from 5e standard which I believe is 27 point buy, 15 max. I just wanted to double check what your preference is -- basically to double check that you're aware/certain of the 30pb.
Old Jan 25th, 2022, 10:52 AM
Read It With A Smile!

Tools
User Statistics
Indeed, I am aware of the difference between core 27pb with 15 max, and my 30pb with 16 max.

Have fun!
Old Jan 25th, 2022, 06:14 PM
BlackDragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3391
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0
Whewwwwwwww! I thought you were about to say redo those chs...lol
Old Jan 26th, 2022, 11:11 AM
A legend in my spare time
Artist in Residence

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7022
GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror
My app is done. Gath: I'm open to comments or suggestions on how to make Dochrud the best possible fit.

Good luck everyone.
Old Jan 27th, 2022, 10:37 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7859
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer
Hey there! I've been reading up on the city of Ptolus, and it looks like a very interesting setting for a campaign. I'd very much like to submit my application- please let me know if I need to add or change anything. Feedback is always welcome! Otherwise, I think the application is finished.

Application
right-aligned image
  • Name: Kravek Stonesole Munakanathi
  • Gender Identity: Male
  • Race: Elemental Evil- Player's CompanionGoliath
  • Class: Planning on the oath of glory from Tasha's Cauldron of EverythingPaladin

Character Background
Kravek was born a member of the Munakanathi tribe, which makes its home in the mountains west of Ptolus. The Munakanathi's domain featured a rich vein of marble, coveted dearly by both Ptolus to the east, and Palastan to the west. When Palastan's governor was assassinated and replaced by the usurper king, the Munakanthi found themselves the target of Palastan raiders keen on securing the marble of their grounds. While the goliaths were proud and capable warriors, Palastan had numbers, and eventually the Munakanthi found themselves relying on diplomatic protection from Ptolus. Part of this agreement, brokered by house Abanar, ensured that the Munakanthi would gather the marble of their lands, and trade it with Ptolus' stonecutters' guild- an arrangement the guild pays house Abanar a hefty bribe for. To this day, this action was considered a slight against Palastan- but one they are yet to act upon.

His parents, Kuori Skywatcher and Paavu Lonehunter, have raised Kravek in typical goliath fashion- valuing strength, self-reliance and fairness. As a priest of Navashtrom, Kuori attempted to instill his son with devotion to the god of strength and harmony- but the carefree, down-to-earth Kravek had little patience for rituals. He adheres to the core values of the Munakanathi's faith, but lacks devotion to the god. Instead of lofty deities, Kravek puts his faith in the people he meets. Meanwhile, Paavu taught her son to live in the wild, to survive off the land and to always find his way home. Kravek paid closer attention to her teachings than to his father's, but in the end decided her lifestyle- the lonely hunter- was not for him. For the young goliath grew up to be fond of people, of revelry and adoration- and this surpassed the boundaries of the Munakanathi. Even as a teenager, Kravek could be found sneaking down the mountains of his home to visit human settlements, orcish tribes and centaur herds. With the humans he competed in drinking games, with the orcs he engaged in wrestling bouts and other feats of strength, and with the centaurs, he ran across the open planes in great tests of endurance.

While the Munakanathi frowned upon Kravek's tendency to seek out outsiders, they also saw opportunity. The diplomatic troubles between Palastan and Ptolus, and the resultant need for frequent deliveries of marble to the city, had created a position as the tribe's ambassador for Kravek. The long and arduous journey was a welcome challenge to the young goliath, and his favorable contacts with the tribes between Ptolus and the Munakanathi's lands provided him with safer passage than most. And so Kravek was made a member of Ptolus' stonecutters' guild, presented with papers allowing him entry into the city, and welcomed him into the city once each month. The young goliath was pleased with this arrangement, recognizing it was the best way for him to ensure the well-being of the tribe. And his parents, while saddened by the fact that their son would follow in neither of their footsteps, were nonetheless proud that their wayward son had found a place in the world.

Being fairly isolated in their high mountains, the Munakanathi are as of yet unaware of the dying. Indeed, Kravek was entirely bewildered by the roving bands of what appeared to be feral humanoids. He has been lucky not to meet too many of them on his latest expedition to Ptolus, but those he did encounter made the goliath deeply worried about the fate of people everywhere. Rather than double back and make sure the Munakanathi are safe, Kravek decided to continue his journey and make his delivery, so that he could learn more of this threat in the city, and perhaps, find aid for his people in the dark days to come...

Description
Kravek is tall, broad and muscular, even for the people of his tribe. While still young, the goliath takes his peoples' obsession with excellence very seriously, always competing to be the best in physical challenges. Rather than being concerned with only his own strength, however, Kravek has taken it upon himself to keep those weaker than himself safe. By protecting and nurturing those who need it, they will one day be strong enough to stand on their own, or so he believes. While this is clearly the influence of Navashtrom's teachings, Krevak doesn't really consider the deity all that much. The young goliath prefers to stay focused on the present, on what he can see and the people around him.

His slate-colored body is covered in scars from the many feats of strength he attempted- and the occasionial brawl with whoever proved to be a sore loser. Despite his imposing presence, the goliath is quite jovial- quick to make friends, and quick to celebrate with them. His light grey eyes shine with a hint of kindness, and he usually wears a big, amused grin. Despite this, his mother's lessons taught Kravek to be ever mindful of his surroundings, though he tends to forget these lessons while in the city. A tankard of ale, a festive song and a friend to regale with tales of his travels do much to quiet the goliath's worries.

Aside from a number of hunting trophies draped over his armour, sturdy hide pants and leather boots, Kravek does not wear much in the way of clothing. Some might think the goliath likes showing off his physique, but in truth, Kravek is accustomed to the freezing cold of his mountain home. The temperature in the city is far more temperate than he is accustomed to, although the cold sea winds in the Docks bring some comfort. There is a number of taverns he likes to frequent in that district, in particular a rowdy but relatively friendly place called the Dropped Anchor. Because of the long intervals between Kravek's visits, and the long journeys at sea other patrons undertake, Kravek hardly ever sees the same face twice. However, he has befriended the tavern's owner, a halfling by the name Osborn Hilltop, who is always happy to see the the goliath visit- both because he entertains the crowds with his wild stories, and because it would take a particularly drunk sailor to start trouble when a eight foot tall goliath is in the same room. Unfortunately, he needs to enter the Guildsman district to deliver his shipments whenever he visits Ptolus, which is far warmer- which is why the goliath always tries to visit the docks after making his delivery, before returning to his mountain home once more.

Background Archetype
Kravek is a guild merchant, having contacts in the city and frequently travelling between his tribe in the mountains and Ptolus.
  • Personality trait: I am a friend to all, and I celebrate my friendships.
  • Personality Trait: Loves a good joke, especially ones that lighten a dour mood.
  • Ideal: Being an example. Protect and nurture the weak, and they will become strong enough to stand on their own.
  • Bond: My people, the Munakanathi, rely on me to communicate with and keep them safe from the outside world.
  • Flaw: While good-natured, I am incredibly competitive, and like to boast of my accomplishments a bit much.

Last edited by DemonSlayer; Jan 28th, 2022 at 08:29 AM. Reason: fixed two typos
Old Jan 27th, 2022, 12:47 PM
Read It With A Smile!

Tools
User Statistics
DemonSlayer: your app looks great, thanks for posting.

I'm concerned about your second trait, "loves insults even those directed at him." I feel this would quickly lead to negativity between PCs and players. How would you feel about this as a replacement:

"Loves a good joke, especially ones that lighten a dour mood."
Old Jan 27th, 2022, 02:14 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7859
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer
That sounds good to me! I've edited my application accordingly. Please let me know if anything else needs to be altered.
Old Jan 27th, 2022, 05:05 PM
Half-Orc Fighter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6757
Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer
I think mine is done.

The longest running Call of Cthulhu on RPG Crossing (2011 - 2021).