DnD5e Ptolus: City By The Spire And The Curse of The Dying - Page 4 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Jan 27th, 2022, 05:39 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5073
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
a golaith paladin...whew...that would be something
Old Jan 28th, 2022, 06:19 AM
BlackDragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3391
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0
Added my drawing to app. for ch.
Old Jan 29th, 2022, 01:28 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1335
Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite
I just finished reading through "A Player's Guide to Ptolus" - I love this setting!

I see that PCs may not be from Ptolus. Can a PC have a connection to a Ptolus resident? A family member or friend?
Old Jan 29th, 2022, 03:03 PM
Read It With A Smile!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 33358
Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath
Indeed!
Old Jan 29th, 2022, 08:07 PM
BlackDragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3391
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0
fascinating....
Old Jan 30th, 2022, 04:38 PM
Phial of Babel

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13574
GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT

I--warble--Flyer. I Healer. I--skitpop--Hermit no Longer.

Name - Iokua Malko
Age - SeventeenSevenSeventeen
Race - Owlin
Gender - Male
Class - Cleric : Grave Domain

Description -
right-aligned image

Iam-kooi-LightandSmalland-clickclick-Fastflyer. Please excuse. I shall tic slow down. Slow down. Slow. I am sure, near, born from hen and otherwordly. Not coco, male flyer. My hen mother no greatest of Great Owls. Small and swift. Small and swift I spy yet never knew. Why....why I do not. Mottled, brown and white, but mostly grey I fit neatly in the small bowl of my tree. Fade bark upon peeling white. First cautious then hwhoot bold flyer. Out. Out. Out into the world of these strange things, most, not all, non-flyers. Poor things. But beautiful. Different. Lovely. I find them. Then dying. Dying. Dying. I help. I range. First to farmhouses. Then campfires. Some easy. Some nice. Others wrong. Fighting wrong. Flying wrong. I drift upon quick silent wings along a roadside muddy. Bright eyes upon her fading living, long and face down burbling in the mud. Scrrrreeeeeeeechchch. I lay my soft wings upon her cheeks and strain. Strain. Strain until her eyes flutter like my smallest of feather. Those tucked close inside the long ones of flight. She smiles. I clickclickclick screech. She calls me Smallest FriendPieni ystävä and healerparantaja with her Elvin lips. Soft. Faintly red. She wonders why I am as small as things she calls gnome. I hwoot don't know. But gnomes are beautiful, beautiful too. Like her. I am Iokua. Owlin they call me. Healer am I. And killer, as all of my kind. Fly. Fly. Fly.

Background -
There is a forest along the ridge. Peopled by both young and old and ancient trees. It is here that Iokua is born, amid leaf and green, branch, bark, and trunk. He was raised by a forest witch. Hermit. Trusted. True. She did as best as she could. As best as she promised his small Great Owl mother. His mother was no healer. No sneaker. No provider. She was fighter; claw, beak, screech, and folded wing flyer. Not meant to raise a her tiny loves to any life other than that. Other than war. Other than loss. For dark bonds and promises. Not a thing she wanted for him.

But all must fly. Must seek. Must find their own way. And so his witch mother sent him away no matter how it made her feel inside and Iokua understood. He ranged the edges of the trees and settlements and traveling roads. He shared fire and freedom with others. He watch from high for caravans and used keen eyes for finding those lost. Until disease and death and terribleness pushed him along paths he had not chosen but must follow. He tried, with no success, to cure or heal those afflicted but he did not have such power yet, such strength. No matter how loud his screech or how high he flew to find those with answers. Along paths of the fleeing, amid a storm of strong winds and sleeting rain, he was forced low and to the ground. It was necessary. Fate is flying by the wind that blows. This is how he met the elf Liisa and whom he follows to Ptolus. Iokua slows her down. Stopping for the debilitated, the wounded, the failing, the dying. At one point, she must carry him, exhausted, limp, and spent.

He will find a cure or fight such terribleness until it ends. He will search and delve, range and fly, to build his nest of wisdom. These beautiful things need him and he will fly against such a storm. It's frozen winds and despair. Because he is a fighter; claw, beak, screech, folded wing flyer.

Traits -
Nothing can shake my optimistic attitude.
If someone is in trouble, I'm always willing to lend help.

Flaw -
I speak without really thinking through my words, invariably insulting others

Bond -
I come from a noble family, and one day I will have to honor those Titles and Responsibilities.

Last edited by GeneT; Feb 7th, 2022 at 08:59 PM.
Old Feb 1st, 2022, 07:08 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Hey Gath,

How do you feel about adding a Brewer's Guild to the named Guilds in the Player's Handbook?
Old Feb 1st, 2022, 09:03 PM
Read It With A Smile!

Tools
User Statistics
I'm open to that. What did you have in mind?
Old Feb 1st, 2022, 09:45 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
I have in mind that my character's family runs a brewery in Trolone, and could be members of a Brewer's Guild. So that would be part of my character's backstory. But there isn't a Brewer's Guild in the Player's handbook so I wanted to check.
Old Feb 2nd, 2022, 01:18 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Application
Name: Daria Vahlen
right-aligned image

Gender Identity: cis female (she/her)

Race: Human

Class: Paladin (Oath of Devotion)

Description:

Daria has green eyes, brown skin, and dark brown hair usually worn in a single long braid. She is 5'9"/175cm, with a solid physique built by daily physical training. She wears an ankh crucifix, holy symbol of her faith, on a leather cord around her neck. Her manner is straightforward and honest, and she always tries to see the best in others.

Daria has felt her god's touch for as long as she can remember. She prays to Lothian frequently during the day, and He is a regular presence in her mind - a source of calm and guiding inspiration. Lothian does not speak to her in words as others may claim to hear him, but He makes His will known to her nevertheless.

Background Archetype: Daria aspires to become an Order of the Dawn Knight

Personality Traits:

Daria is generally optimistic and always tries to find the good in other people, even if she has to dig deep. Unless that other person happens to be undead - an enemy of Lothian.

Although Daria has little interest in her family's business of making beer, she has absorbed a fair amount of knowledge about the process and she enthusiastically enjoys drinking the product. She is quite opinionated about beer she does and does not like.

Daria finds it extremely difficult to tell a lie because doing so conflicts with Lothian's lawgiver aspect.

Ideal: Like my god Lothian, I aspire to promote peace, harmony and safety for all, no matter the personal cost. My faith in Lothian guides me. I will strive to eliminate the undead threat.

Bond: The righteous weapon of a god must ensure she is wielded in the god's true interests.

Flaw: I secretly enjoy the thrill of inflicting carnage during battle, the intoxicating release of destroying evil creatures while my god assumes all responsibility for consequences.

Last edited by Sprite; Feb 3rd, 2022 at 02:21 PM.
Old Feb 2nd, 2022, 06:37 PM
Man of Many Faces

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4899
The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star
Application
right-aligned image
Name: Dir Hytha
Gender Identity: Male (He/Him)
Race: Verdanm (Acquisitions Incorporated)
Class: Warlock - Pact of the Fathomless (Tasha's Cauldron of Everything)

Description: Basic information about Dir is that he is 3'5" with a light build, weighing in at 57 lbs., dark purple skin along his back and comes down his face ending at a point down his nose, he also has a dark beige colour around his face, the front of his neck and down his stomach and along the inside of his arms and legs. He has sharp, pointed teeth and long, pointed nails on his right hand. His eyes are a dark orange colour.

He has little patches of dark purple hair along his eyebrows and little tufts of hair along his jawline. He has large rounded ears that reach out a good foot in length. Along the bottom on his right ear are a number of hoop piercings and one earring with a small blue feather attached to it. One other noticeable thing about him is that he only has one arm, his left arm is missing, amputated from an event that took place in his past.

He also has a number of scars over his body, that look like bite marks from predatory fish, and what look like suction cup scars along his back and chest.

He wears the clothing of a sailor, with long common clothing, that are rolled up and tied with string, allowing him to untie and have long sleeves if he needs to, he leaves the place where his left arm would go open and hanging, he has a black leather vest over his shirt and a simple dark brown leather coat, cut to be just below his waist. His pants are loose, tied tightly with banding along his ankles and some rope that is tied around his waist to act as a belt.

Dir would best be described as the first to find the tavern whenever his ship would anchor for the night, and a gambling addict, as soon as he hears word of some action going on, he is there, asking about the odds, and where he can find the nearest bookie to place his bets. He loved the open ocean when it wasn't so dangerous to be out there. He loves to listen to and talk about the latest gossip of wherever he is and often creates rumours of his own, mostly to build himself up as some kind of high stakes player.

He is a Verdan that has been given a second chance at life, and he doesn't intend to waste it at this moment. The only thing that he currently takes orders from is his patron. Otherwise, he does what he wants to do and bases his decisions on what he feels like. Of course, if anything were to come up involving stopping the spread of the disease that is plaguing the world, he would join, because then he could get back into the water and back to sailing again. An odd thing about him is that he communicates with his patron through water, so sometimes, others will see him talking to a cup, bowl, pot, pond, lake, river, etc.

The one thing that will turn his attitude to a sour and angry demeanor is when members of his old crew are mentioned or if he sees one of them. They are the ones that caused his arm to be taken, they were the ones that ruined the family that he had come to love, if ever given the chance, he would take every last one of their souls and feed them to the beasts that live deep in the ocean. But if you are not one of them, or are friends with any of them then you should have nothing to worry about!

A note about his left arm, when in danger (entering combat), his wound opens, and numerous tentacles come from it, forming a multitentacled arm, this is where he would shoot his Eldritch Blast, and summon the tentacles that he can summon. When he does, one of the tentacles leaves his arm, going into the ground and sprouting up where he wants it.

Character Background: Dir was born in Istoma that is within the Gulf of Satran, as many that lived there, his life was called to the water, starting off on his father's small fishing boat, he learned the fundamentals of becoming a sailor. When he became old enough and his brothers and sisters were getting near the age to help on his father's boat, he was given the blessing to find another ship to join.

There he joined The Thunder Runner, a mercenary ship that would follow merchant ships for protection, his captain Johun Greybeard, was a charismatic leader. Smart, fair to his crew and a mighty warrior when the occasion called for it. Here, Dir learned a great deal of things that his father could not teach him on a small fishing boat, and the crew became his second family.

But it wasn't to last for long, his crew, hired to protect a rather large ship, filled with goods and coin was attacked by pirates. While trying to defend the large ship, Dir, some of the other loyal crew members and the captain were betrayed by the rest of what he thought was his second family. They had been bribed with a great deal of wealth and a cut of the riches from the ship by the pirates, and it worked. Dir, his captain and several others were taken prisoner.

Using them, as well as a number of other hostages, were able to escape with their winnings, no longer needing the ones that were captured, they began to kill them. One by one they were beaten, cut and thrown over the ship most died before they hit the water, but those that didn't were soon eaten by the many creatures of the sea that smelled the blood hitting the water.

Dir was one of the last to be cast into the water, it had started during the day, but by the time they got to him, it was night. The moon was full and cast an eerie colour that hit the water when they began to take turns hurting Dir. But he made sure that every single one of them heard his curses and his threats that they would pay for what they did. He spat on them, hit them back, cursed their families, anything that could be said.

He was then cast into the water, where he began to sink, down, down, down he went, getting bitten by the stragglers that had come since the larger ones had, had their fill from the others. The entire time he went down and received a bite, his anger grew, he cried out in his mind, hoping for a miracle was that night, that if anything was listening, and could help him out of here, he would serve them for the rest of his life. All he wanted, was a chance at revenge.

It was then as blood poured out of him and the water began to fill his lungs that he received an answer, a large tentacle came from the depths and wrapped itself around him. He could then hear words come into his mind, they promised him what he wanted, and would grant him gifts to aid him, as long as he was willing to serve. Desperate and angry, he agreed without any hesitation. The creature from the depths, so far down it seemed then requested a showing of devotion, a sacrifice. Not knowing what he could give, he told it to take his left arm if it wanted.

And it did, more tentacles came from the depths and ripped his left arm off, then continued to wrap him in the one that was holding him, completely engulfing him. He prepared himself to be crushed instead of saved, maybe the sacrifice was not enough, but, the grip loosened, it's last words to him at that time was "breathe" and when he did, he found that he was breathing under water, he felt where his arm should have been and felt that his shoulder had been sealed and healed.

After spending some time, safe, under the water, he was able to find a way to get back onto land, where he learned of the dying from a large caravan of people that had gathered what they could from their homes and left for Ptolus. Not wanting to ruin his second chance at life, he joined with them, convincing them that his wound was from a shark attack a long time ago, showing them the nub and letting them check over him for symptoms of the dying.

The journey was harsh, so far away from the waters that he preferred to call home, but, he learned a great deal, like the fact that many people were heading to Ptolus, as it was a safe haven. This made him believe that his former crewmates were in there, using their recently acquired wealth to buy their way in. If he was going to get his revenge, he hard to look for them in there.

He is not sure how he is going to get in, he doesn't have much coin, but he is charismatic and smart, a deadly combination, combined with his small size, he believes that he can find a way to get in, either by sneaking in, or using his words to get passed the guards, or convince someone to forge documents for him. His call for vengeance is too strong for him to not get in.

Background Archetype: Sailor

Personality Traits x2 - Dir loves to hear about rumours that are going around in the area he is in, as well as partake in the spreading of them, of course, changing some of the details to how he likes it.

If there is ever a chance to gamble, Dir is right there, finding out who the bookie is, or finding out the odds.

Ideal - Freedom. The sea is freedom-the freedom to go anywhere and do anything. I dream of the day I can go back to being free again. (Chaotic)

Bond - My family, the crew I grew up with betrayed my captain and those that were loyal to him, they were murdered and left me for dead, but I lived, and vengeance is all I can think about when I see one of them. They will pay for what they did.

Flaw - When I see one of my former crewmates that attempted to kill me, I am super focused on them and only them.

As far as he knows, his biological family still exists to this day:

Father - Larad, a fisherman by trade, he owns a small boat and brings the fish home for his wife and children to cut up and sell at the market. He is a simple, humbled man, he is understanding, well educated and caring.

Mother - Krein, a merchant and an excellent cook, she runs the shop that they own, placed in the market where she cuts up and cooks the fish that has been caught by Larad, she is very good at what she does. She is nurturing, creative and charismatic, able to often sell out of all their inventory every day.

Younger Twin Sisters - Mag and Enta are the youngest of his family and are were learning the art of fishing on a boat. Before, they would help their mother with the cutting of the fish, cleaning up the house and doing all the simple chores. They aren't as interested in that lifestyle and seem to more want to become like their mother.

Older Brother - Heda is the oldest brother of the family, the first born, he left the home when he was an adult, he joined another crew and has been with them until now, they believe, they will sometimes get letters from him, telling about his adventures and that he is doing alright, maybe some coin to help them out. But he hasn't seen his brother in a long time.

Roll with Luck and have some Fun!

Last edited by The Dark Star; Feb 8th, 2022 at 03:03 PM.
Old Feb 2nd, 2022, 08:06 PM
Read It With A Smile!

Tools
User Statistics
My copy of Acquisitions Incorporated should be arriving soon. I'm excited to read about a verdanm.

These are all really stellar apps. Very pleased so far. I'll take a moment the next day or two to comb the thread for ideas and questions that I haven't addressed.

I've been working on a project so if I've missed something, or not responded thoroughly enough, please take a moment to bring it to my attention.
Old Feb 2nd, 2022, 08:57 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5073
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
I don't have the book, but read the PDF file, wasn't thrilled with it. Just me though.

Can't wait for the game, looks good and you're about the apps too, lots of good ones!
Old Feb 2nd, 2022, 10:09 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Hello Gath,
I think my application is complete. I included potential connections in Ptolus, but I am totally flexible and open to making changes. Thank you for creating and DMing this game!
Old Feb 3rd, 2022, 12:58 AM
Read It With A Smile!

Tools
User Statistics